[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pumpkin Pie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (11KB, 264x191px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 264x191px
Sup /ck/, need your help. I'm making pumpkin pie for thanksgiving, and I was curious if there were any recipes or tips you guys could give.
>>
>>7103616
no
>>
>Make your own crust. DO NOT buy from store.
>Roast your own pumpkin. Takes 5 min. plus cook time
>Spice that shit heavily with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice if ya got it. Some recipes use cardamom, up to you, I love cloves so I go heavy on it.
>Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream. If you're feeling really fancy, infuse the cream with cinnamon and tarragon

and no you can't have my recipe
>>
>>7103616
fresh ground nutmeg and cinnamon instead of powdered makes a noticeable difference.

don't overwork the batter, you're making a custard, after all.

consider baking in a water bath or with a water tray in the oven. store bought pies are universally thick and gluely and yours can be better because you can make a fluffier, fresher custard.

there is literally no difference between fresh pumpkin you prepare and canned in the final taste.
>>
>>7103650
dont listen to him, he's never made a pumpkin pie before.

anyone worth their salt in pumpkin pie making knows that roasting your own pumpkin DOES NOT GIVE THE CORRECT TASTE.

the pumpkin pie taste that you are likely familiar with is the result of a proprietary breed of pumpkins. you will get a weird flavor and a soupy texture if you try to make it with a sugar pumpkin or any other commercially available pumpkin. they're simply not suited to pies.

theres no shame in using a canned pumpkin puree.

if you insist on using your own "pumpkin" use something like a squash rather than an actual pumpkin, the flavor and texture will resemble pumpkin pie more so than using a sugar pumpkin.
>>
>>7103784
lol
>>
>>7103784

bullshit it won't. canned and sugar pumpkin are the exact same plant, only store pumpkins a sport that has the halloween shape people expect. the canned pumpkins have all kinds of crazy shapes and most people would call them squash.

wait a minute... is this b8 desu desu desu?
>>
OP here... Didn't know this thread was still going.
Thanks guys, and some more info that I should have put in first post that proves OP is even more of a faggot is that we are using our home-grown pumpkins.
>>
>>7103656
>fresh spice matters
>fresh pumpkin doesn't
>>
>>7103784
This is my experience with roasting the pumpkin v just getting canned puree pumpkin too. Got the right sugar pumpkin and everything and nah just not the same shit.

>>7104170
>can't believe squashes and nuts are different
I mean use fresh if your prefer the taste but personally I find it off so much in a pie. Love it in a bread or cookie though.
>>
make it out of pumpkin with pumpkin spice and bake it. there's my advice
>>
>>7104277
oh and you need a pie crust get a pie crust.
>>
>>7103784
>>7104275
From what I understand, Libby's pumpkin is stored for a year in the can before hitting the shelves. Apparently the "aging" process has a significant impact on why Libby's is so hard to duplicate at home.

Also, supposedly Costco will be about the only place to find Libby's next year due to the impending shortage.
>>
>>7104277
>>7104280
Awful
>>
>>7104406

nonsense, Libby's cans on demand and by season there's a damn date stamped on every can baka
>>
sheeeeet
>>
>>7104154

your own pumpkins will be fine, they'll taste great. canned vs fresh is a spoonfight

>slice
>deseed
>foil wrap
>bake until mush
>make pumpkin pie

wa la!
>>
>>7104275

you're just a bad cook.

I've made fresh pumpkin and canned side by side in the same oven same time and they taste identical

>needed 6 pies
>roasted pumpkin, had only 3 pies
>cans to the rescue
>>
>>7103784
Nigga you must be retarded at cooking if you can't your pumpkin pie to taste right, or even get the right texture.

>use squash rather than an actual pumpkin
>the flavor and texture will resemble pumpkin pie more

read what you wrote again and tell me why you aren't retarded.
>>
What do they do in Arkansas?

Pumpkin.
>>
>>7104743
if you havent made a pumpkin pie before, you probably shouldnt critique the knowledge of someone who has.

if you want a bad pie, by all means, ignore my advice.
>>
>>7104879
liar
>>7104710
>>
Jesus guys its not that hard.

Make a pate sucree (I prefer a 50% lard 50% butter for mouth feel and flavor)

Do it right taking appropriate steps to keep it cold

Roll it out and put it in your pie dish or a spring form. Then refrigerate.

Blind bake using some kind of weight in there(like dry beans) to keep the shape.

Then make the filling:

Roast pumpkin

Remove flesh and run through a sieve/chinois

Toast spices and add to pumpkin puree(lots of stuff works here but don't buy pumpkin spice. Cinnamon and a little nutmeg is fine, clove works well too)

spices+salt to taste vanilla and bourbon or rum can be added.

From here there are a couple ways to go with it. I'll list my preferred method first.

Separate eggs. Lightly whip heavy cream and whip egg yolks. Whisk to combine

whisk into puree

whip whites to stiff peaks then fold into puree.

bake

This yields a very fluffy, light pie.

Alternatively you can just add the cream+eggs or just yolks right in and you will get a denser pie. For an even denser pie omit whites altogether.
>>
>>7104966
Also, in case you don't know, make sure to use sugar pumpkins. You can use other thing as well like sweet potatoes or some squashes but its obviously not a pumpkin pie at that point.

A note on sugar: usually I don't feel it needs any added but you may find it isn't sweet enough in which case you should add it to the yolks before whisking into the cream. I prefer brown sugar but any kind can be used. Sorghum or molasses also works well but will change the flavor a bit. I find molasses goes well with bourbon.

You can really make it however you want as long as you follow the basic formula. You can substitute a pate brisee or pate sablee for the pate sucree, leave out the spices, and add thyme and chevre for a savory tart or you could add more yolks and make a stand alone custard or pumpkin creme brulee or a great frozen custard/ ice cream base.
>>
Use the recipe on the back of the Libby's can.

Seriously, it's a good one.
>>
>>7103784
>>7103858
>>7104031
>>7104275
>>7104406
The reason canned pumpkin tastes so different from fresh pumpkin is because canned pumpkin isn't pumpkin, it's Hubbard squash. Look it up, if you doubt me. The term "pumpkin" can be applied to any number of squashes, and Hubbard grows heartier and easier than pie pumpkins, which is why they use them for canned pumpkin. THAT'S why it tastes different when you make fresh pumpkin pie.
IMO, either is fine, though.
>>
>>7105906
And, in addition to that,

"On the other hand, if you want to be sure the puree you're using is 100% pure pumpkin, you've got two options. First, opt for buying the Libby's brand, which you'll find on the shelves of most grocery stores. They use a strain of Dickinson Pumpkins, with especially creamy flesh, that the company developed themselves. It's also interesting to note that this variety bears more resemblance to a butternut squash "
>>
>>7103616
Use actual pumpkin. Make a crust from cookies or graham crackers.
>>
No recipe from me, OP.
>>
>>7103784
>dont listen to him, he's never made a pumpkin pie before.

Nigger, I've been making pumpkin pie for years. People fucking REQUEST my pumpkin pie every year, you talentless cunt. The correct taste? If you think putting PUMPKIN in a PUMPKIN PIE is inocorrect, you are straight out of this planet retarded.

Roast your own pumpkin, use Sugar Pumpkins, not Jack-o-Lanterns. That "incorrect taste" is fresh roasted fruit which has more texture than canned puree. Also, mash your pumpkin, don't puree it like a fucking pleb.
>>
>>7105906
>>7105926
hubard squash is in the same genus
>>
File: pumpkin pie recipe.png (221KB, 647x526px) Image search: [Google]
pumpkin pie recipe.png
221KB, 647x526px
>>
>>7107780

>>7104966
>>7105063
Here

What exactly is so pleb about taking an extra step and running the mashed pumpkin through a chinois? Just mashing the pumpkin is objectively more "pleb" because you can't be bothered to take an extra few minutes and because of that the product suffers.

The reason you want to run it through a chinois and make a puree as opposed to just mashing up the pumpkin is so that you get a nice, consistent distribution and it provides a silky, smooth mouth feel in the finished product. Sugar pumpkins, while not as fibrous as some of the other squashes, still contain a fair amount of fiber and if you only mash you will leave all of this in the pumpkin which can ruin the smooth, creamy mouth feel people expect out of a pumpkin pie.

Either way, unless you are leaving large clumps, you get a puree anyway (its also not like I am recommending running it through blender in which case you would still need to put it through a china cap to get the proper consistency but you would also be blending up those fibers which you don't want to do) but with my method you don't have to worry about any clumps, you get a silky smooth pie, you get better distribution, more even cooking, as well as removing any undesirables.

I've made these pies for over a decade and experimented with countless variations, its what I make at home and what we use in the restaurants. Hell, I've sold over 60 just this week for people to take home and serve their families for Thanksgiving dinner. It may not be the easiest way to make a pumpkin pie but the extra effort is shown in the results and I've never received a single complaint.
>>
>>7108006
>still pleb
>>
>>7108397
Why is that?
>>
>>7107956
I know, that's why I posted that info.
>>
>>7107780
Woooooo, someone's BUTTMAD here.
>>
>>7104966
>>7105063
I'm going to give this one a try, thanks.
>>
>>7109463
so then why's it a problem for libby's to not use sugar pumpkins?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.