[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just dragged my hand across a 400F oven coil What do? Also

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

File: 20151122_175925.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151122_175925.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
I just dragged my hand across a 400F oven coil
What do?

Also general cooking related injuries/stories thread
>>
shoot yourself in the face
>>
Dress with a garlic butter/rosemary sauce
>>
Get your momma to kiss it

Also soak it in ice water
>>
Run cold water on it

Put mustard on it for pain

Keep it dry and clean and cover it if you're doing shit

A few years ago tho I was taking a pan out of my oven thinking "I think I'm forgetting something...."

I forgot oven mitts
>>
Take it to a vet.
>>
Add salt to taste
>>
>>7099938
kek
>>7099946
it smells like burnt rubber
>>7099947
i ran some tap water over it and then rubbed a little vaseline on
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-22-18-24-40.png (320KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-22-18-24-40.png
320KB, 1440x2560px
>>7099961
NIGGA
>>
>>7099964
OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK
>>
>>7099969
ICE WATER BRO

THEN GET MAMA TO KISS IT BETTER I TOLD YOU DAWG
>>
>>7099964
>>7099969
k i washed the vaseline off
>>
>>7099977
You're just saying that
>>
>>7099964
>prevents heat from escaping
this has never made sense to me. They say this about sunburn too. What heat are they talking about? Yea, you got burned by something hot, but it's not like the temperature in your hand is now 150 degrees or something. Same with sunburn, you "burn" because your body is inflamed from exposure to radiation, not because you literally heated up.

That said, I intuitively feel like vaseline would not be good to rub on a burn.
>>
>>7099977
I know for a fact you didn't wash the vaseline off, and that's because vaseline is hard as fuck to wash off unless you're prepared to dip your hand in alcohol or something.
You're going to have to FEEL THE PAIN nigga, FEEL THE BURN
>>
>>7099984
I feel like that actually applies to like severe crazy life threatening burns rather than this.

But I used to be an emt and was just being a dick

There's some physiology behind it that I completely forgot
>>
File: 1448235172334102849635.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
1448235172334102849635.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>7099981
>>7099985
It's off! See?
I scrubbed that shit with hand soap and cold water.
My hand is numb where the burn is
And it's white
Am I gonna died?

PS- pizza was worth it
>>
>>7099993
i put lidocane spray on burns, can't even feel them with it on
>>
>>7099993
just run your hand under a cold tap until it stops hurting so bad

wrap that motherfucker up afterwards so you don't bust the blister

the end, wait for it to go away
>>
Next time go to the freezer and press the burnt part against the metal or ice for about 15 seconds. It will actually hurt a bit, almost as much as the initial burning. You have about 30-60 secs to do this.
>>
>>7099931
>>7099993
I've done this so many times. Gonna hurt like a bitch for awhile.

If you're in the west, find some fresh agave, cut out a cube, and wrap it up. Helps it heal quicker
>>
>>7099993

Gonna be a big blister.
>>
>>7100001
>>7100006
>>7100010
>>7100011
cant feel shit captain, barely even hurt when it happened. im not sure thats a good sign...but at least im not in pain.
>>7100008
nice try, guy.
>>
Get some ointment on it and wrap it tight. Change the wrap as needed.
>>
>>7100018
>nice try, guy.

Kek, it works guy. Much less damage the next day.
>>
You are describing a third degree burn. They don't hurt and they don't go red because you've damaged your nerves and blood vessels.

It's really small, so keep it clean and cover it with antimicrobial dressing. Go see an actual doctor if it becomes an open wound though, if you get an infection there it's not impossible that you end up losing a finger.
>>
>>7100050

Is the whole burn actually white though?

From the last picture the white looks like where the blister is starting to form.

But yeah numbness is a symptom of third degree burn.
>>
File: ohshizzle.gif (29KB, 176x200px) Image search: [Google]
ohshizzle.gif
29KB, 176x200px
>>7100050
>>
One time, while slicing a zucchini, I nearly cut my thumb clean off and contracted herpes in the process.
>>
>>7100050
>>7100053
yes the white part is the actual burn
very defined and white since the second i pulled it off the oven coil
there's only a slight tingling feeling
...im scared cu/ck/s...
>>
I was really drunk and cooking bacon and eggs at 3 in the morning, and I spilled hot grease all over my chest. Pain was absolutely insane, but luckily I didn't need skingrafts or anything. It just looked really ugly for a while. I got a whole bunch of percocet out of it because I kept milking the doctor for them.

3/10 would probably not do again
>>
>>7100060
You're fine dude

But what do I know I'm just a drunk former army medic and emt

>emphasis on drunk
>>
Mustard. Trust me
>>
Well, it only looks like a second degree burn, so it's not that bad. You seem to have done what you need to for immediate care as well. Thing is that is a high use area, you're likely to burst the blister just from moving your fingers or brushing against something. Keep a close eye on it for infection and if redness starts to spread from it, your hand in general feels hot, or it gets pussy at all you're gonna need to go to the doctor for some antibiotics. Keep the area clean, cover if you're going to be using your hands, and be careful with it.
>>
>>7100124
>>7100063
thanks family
ill post the blister tomorrow if the threads still going :^)
>>
File: grinch-smile-o.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
grinch-smile-o.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>7100124
>if it gets pussy
>>
Oof, I've been there before anon, keep it clean and dry, and only wrap it if you need to protect it. Invest in some aloe or burn gel, you can also get numbing spray because its going to hurt like a motherfuck. A plastic bag over your hand in the shower helps too.

And if it makes you feel better, I just about cut off the corner of my middle finger this past monday, along with a bit of my index finger. It wasn't great, but I mostly didn't pass out because I'm not a complete pussy. I got 7 stitches on the pad, and glue on the front/nail to keep it together. Unfortunately 4 days later I went to the ER after it started to swell and go a bit grey with an early onset infection . They took the stitches out, cleaned up the dead tissue and steti-stripped me back together. They fixed the hack job of the first doctor and put me antibiotics.

Heal fast!
>>
>>7099931

Just keep it clean.

It'll heal.
>>
File: 20151122_234759.jpg (860KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20151122_234759.jpg
860KB, 2560x1536px
7 month old burn scar from taking a 350 degree pan out of an oven above my head. bumped into kitchen equipment while backing up, had odd corners of the pan in my hands so it toppled onto bare skin and burned me. was not a big deal just mad that it left a scar.

also have two good stab scars in my thumbs from cutting bread. happened within two weeks of each other. i hurt myself almost every day at my job. had almost no scars to speak of before this stupid job.
>>
>>7099931
cut my finger open while cutting lemons.
It didn't sting as much as you would think.
>>
Isn't there already a thread up for incompetent, clumsy kitchen retards?
>>
>>7099931
>earlier tonight
>need to use pan i left in the oven
>realize i left the oven on from making cookies earlier
>take it out put on the stove and start heating up some soup
>go to move it around without a kitchen towel and burn my right hand
>almost dropped it all over the floor
>few minutes later do the same thing with my left hand but end up dropping it on my foot
both hands and one of my feet are burned now, and I just feel fucking retarded
>>
File: 20151122_233130-1.jpg (762KB, 1588x798px) Image search: [Google]
20151122_233130-1.jpg
762KB, 1588x798px
Burn from a pizza oven. Glad my manager had burn cream on hand that day, but it's about 4 months old now.
>>
I have about a dozen burn marks on my arms from a couple years of working in a bistro
>>
Alright, it's going to hurt like hell. What you need to do is put your hand in a bowl of water. (lukewarm is best) Do not put your hand under a faucet, the oxygen that is made from the aeration of the screen in the faucet will actually cause your nerves to scream. You might have to sleep with your hand inside of the bowl of water, I did that once for a really bad burn.

You're going to be all right, between the blister, it's going to hurt, but you have a great story, right?
>>
>>7099977
IT'S TOO LATE
>>
OP, the numbness might just be adrenaline. You might start feeling it soon. Looks like 2nd degree. This is coming from someone who has witnessed dozens, perhaps hundreds of burns in the kitchen.
>>
File: image.gif (317KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
317KB, 500x313px
>>7099964
Be careful with the butter
>>
>>7099931
amputate your leg
>>
>>7100060
You'll be fine. Looks like it's going to blister and peel eventually, and if it was a bad burn you're going to have a scar. If it actually starts to look like an open wound or something go to a doctor, they won't be able to do much for it, but at least you can get some proper burn ointment.
>>
>>7100026

One would think cooks understand the idea stuff is still cooking on even after pulled off the heat. You want to get that heat out of there as quickly as possible so subzero freezer > ice water > cold water.

>what is blanching
>>
>>7099964
That shit is retarded. Youd have to literally be on fire to actually trap any residual heat.

Besides, we all know ammonia has a better cooling effect.
>>
>>7099993
>>7100000
Who gives a fuck about your hand, show us more of that pizza.
>>
I chopped my dick off once.
>>
>>7101965

Ice water is WAAAY more effective than a freezer for cooling down food. Cold water can carry a hell of a lot more heat than cold air can.
>>
>>7099993

>memeroni on pizza

I hope it's cancer OP.
>>
>>7102342
>once
>>
>>7099931
Run it over a 200C hob. Should cancel out
>>
>>7099984
Don't put any kind of oil on a burn covering more than 10% of your body surface area. It will become seriously infected. Happened to my buddy
>>
>>7100056
Underrated
>>
>ice water
>vaseline
you nigs are retarded
>>
>>7101117
You're not a very bright one, are you?
>>
>>7099931

I did that a few times.

It will develop an awesome bubble of clear-ish fluid in a few days. If you are careful and don't pop it it will slowly disappear. Pop it and although satisfying initially it will get all fucked up and the skin will tear off and have to start healing all over.
>>
>>7101207
>hand in warm water while sleeping
is this a subtle troll
>>
>>7099984
You apparently have never been seriously sunburn. Skin is noticeably warmer to the touch than non sunburnt skin
>>
>>7104184
That's blood rushing your skin to heal it. Same reason you turn red.
>>
>>7104192
Correct. But it is hotter. So Vaseline would trap heat.

That said, I think the main reason it's bad is because your skin likes to breathe, especially when trying to heal.
>>
>>7099964
Breaking a blister is a lesson learned immediately the first time one does it.
>>
>>7099931
not so bad
I had to clean a grill and put to much oil on it, the pumice stone launched the shit right into my eye and over my hands (short sleeves at work, brah).
The problem was I was so dedicated to my work I finished doing what I needed to do before treating the burns and calling the manager.
Had scars for like 2 months on my hands that healed decently, and my eye was fucked for a while but somehow recovered.
>>
>>7099964
>never break a blister
I always do this. It hurts like fuck when I don't, and once I get the pus out of there and cut away the burned skin, it's a little bit sore but it heals up.

I of course have never had a major burn or a super large blister before though.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>7099931
I use to work with a catering company that uses a spit roaster, similar to the attached image.
Once when we were catering to a rural household, I just finished checking the roast when
a wasp started flying towards me. Naturally I fell back, and the inner of my forearm just touched
the roaster for a second, but it was enough, and within 5 minutes the 20cm long burn rose into
a 3cm thick blister. I'm not sure, but I've heard those roasters can get to 300 celcius. Those
fuckers wouldn't take me to a doctor or let me stop working, either. The scar is gone now.
>>
>>7101038
I cut my finger to the bone when cutting onions.
With a bread knife. What is wrong with me.
>>
top gear top 10 tip! Put your dick on the stove next!?
>>
>fuckin idiots bitching about ice water and what not

I say it again, IMMEDIATELY go to the FREEZER. Open it and press against the COLD METAL. You will find that burns that would give huge blisters otherwise will not come out nearly as bad and heal much, much quicker.

Ice water is only good if you have it right there, you will not want to waste half a minute making some, EVERY SECOND counts.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.