[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best way to make home-made french fried for those

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_8566.jpg (105KB, 648x432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8566.jpg
105KB, 648x432px
What's the best way to make home-made french fried for those of us that don't have a deep fryer?

Pan?
Oven?
Parboil?
Rinse?
Salt?
Oil?
>>
Pan, with oil.
>>
I usually slice and parboil the potatoes, then wash, then put them in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Then pan fry (the potato slices are very dry on the outside at this point). Not sure if this is necessary but I think it results in soft centres but crisp outsides.
>>
File: adalia.jpg (444KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
adalia.jpg
444KB, 2048x1536px
>>7098486
Peel.
Cut your potatoes into a rectangle with a large knife.
Cut them into 1/4 inch matchsticks.
Fry them twice, I like to use peanut oil in a cast iron skillet, first at 325 then at 350 which I think can be approximated by a medium then a medium high heat fry if you lack a thermometer.
Salt and season at the end.
>>
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-cook-like-heston/articles/all/triple-cooked-chips-recipe
>>
>>7098495
What is the theory behind frying something twice? (this also works great for chicken, but I don't know why)
>>
>>7098498
I'm not entirely sure either, but I know it works.
>>
>>7098498
Fry #1 at a low temp -> par-cooks inside
Fry #2 at higher temp -> quickly browns outside without the need to wait for the inside to catch up

Results: Perfect crispy outside without an underdone inside
>>
>>7098486

use a kettle and put oil in it dummy
>>
I like covering them in margerine and baking them in the oven.
>>
>>7098503
The fry recipe linked to had you parboil, then fry, then fry again.
>>
>>7098578

it's parboil first so that the edges start to break and I think something happens to the starch as well?

Then fry at a low temp to par-cook the insides

Then fry at a high temp to brown the outside.
>>
If you just cook it once at high temperature, you don't cookt the inside well. In addition to that, it traps too much moisture on the inside which results in fries that become soggy pretty quickly.
>>
While parboil usually refers to boiling in water for a few minutes, it is sometimes used to refer to the first step of frying french fries in oil at about 325 degrees.
>>
File: Chip Pan.jpg (4KB, 200x124px) Image search: [Google]
Chip Pan.jpg
4KB, 200x124px
Get one of these. Best chips/fries ever.
>>
>>7098486
Put some lard in a pan and throw your potatos in when the lard has turned to liquid

Oil for chips? Fuck off
>>
>>7099185
Lard is bad for you and makes you have heart attacks and die young.
>>
I like the oven better, though I don't really make french fries in the sense of the picture, I leave the skin on and you know, cut the potato into 8 parts. Mix them with oil, oregano, black pepper, dried red pepper, dried garlic, salt and breadcrumbs in a bowl and throw them in the oven for 30 min at 225 celsius, mixing them a couple of times.
On the pan, I feel you're almost forced to make them extra greasy, which I don't like to do. If I do make them on the pan, I use a non-stick pan without extra fat and use a cover to have them actually cook from the inside.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPr-tOZHmOA
>>
>>7098486
oven. you lazy half-assed fuck. if you're not gonna do it right don't do it all.
>>
Pre-heat oven to 400F.
Aim for the fries to be about 1/2" wide when slicing.
Toss with oil.
Par-cook them in the microwave for about 4 mins.
Toss them with a little more oil.
Throw them on a cookie sheet, and put them in the oven for 20 mins.
Flip them.
Put them back in for 15 mins.

Then I'd suggest a bit of mayo.
>>
Chop and soak in cold water until the water runs clear

Fry in colder oil longer until cooked through

Pull, drain, cool

Fry in hotter oil shorter until crunchy

Super time consuming, probably unhealthier, but so much better than other methods
>>
>>7098486

1) Steam
2) Toss with olive oil & season
3) Bake
>>
>>7099401
holy shit i do this too, like excatly this.
>>
In the oven, with a thin coating of the oil of your choice, 40-50 minutes at 220C, turning them over half way through.

Bonus points for dusting them with paprika before baking.
>>
>>7099401
>>7099970

Use oven foil and some oil senpai. Not too much oil though.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.