[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about our Thanksgiving meal plans? I'm in a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

Can we talk about our Thanksgiving meal plans? I'm in a rut and need some help with mine.

What's already planned:
1. roast turkey and pan gravy
2. mashed potatoes
3. sourdough rolls
4. green beans in a lemony vinaigrette
5. cranberry relish (being contributed by a family member)
6. stuffing (something with green chilis, being contributed by family)
6. pecan pie (and a second desert being contibuted by family)
7. Will be picking 3-4 different wines to serve once the menu is completely planned.

I need to come up with at least one more vegetable dish but am stuck. Also, most recent years I have made a dish of curried roasted carrots with lentils to please a vegetarian family member who won't be attending this year, so I'd like to do something different this time around - I was thinking about making a savory pie with squash and pumpkin filling, but thinking that might be just one starch-and-fat dish on the list so I need your advice /ck/ - what else do you like to serve at Thanksgiving that's on the lighter side?
>>
bump because I'm a selfish fuck
>>
I'm not from a place that celebrates Thanksgiving, but just out of curiosity, do you feel a need to impress or do you just enjoy providing enjoyable and interesting meals?

What you listed sounds like proper eating for some number of people, so what would need to be added?

>I'm in a rut and need some help with mine.
Maybe so, but what you listed sounds just fine. Even if it's not from you. You could just relax for a bit.
>>
>>7091625
Thanksgiving, at least in my family, is an excuse to get the entire family together, have a feast, and enjoy each other's company for most of the day. My main priority when planning the food is to serve an enjoyable meal (I and several of my guests would appreciate having more vegetable variety), but I always enjoy the opportunity to show off my cooking skills too.
>>
I was just making my own Thanksgiving plan today. This year is the first year that I cook for both sides of the family.

What about a sweet potato dish? I'm going to make traditional glazed because my grandma died last year and I basically have to adhere to her dishes for the most part. But there are a ton of sweet potato dishes you could make. Maybe some type of casserole with squash as well.

I'm also going to be serving deviled eggs and a charcuterie platter. These are really excellent for getting people to fuck off and let the turkey rest. That and they're more different than the normal stuff.

I've also had oven baked mac and cheese that went really good with the meal. And maybe this is sort of out there because my family is Italian but I've had baugna caulda as an appetizer type dish as well as muffaleta. That was interesting because it was sort of a different culture and vibe.

Another dessert might be good too. This year I'm adding a poppyseed torte to the usual rotation of apple, pumpkin, and pecan pies because some anon posted it in another thread.
>>
Only plan so far is to not have nasty dry ass turkey. Me and my family have transcended turkey dinner on thanksgiving. Get on my level.
>>
>>7091570
I roast my turkey on a rack with a drip pan under so it doesnt boil in its own juices. What i do in the last cooking hour is drain 80% of the fat. large chopped onions, carrots potatos, sweet potato, squash, bell peppers rosemary, thyme S/P. Easy to add extra vegetables that taste good add good color to the meal and taste amazing.
>>
>>7091702
Shit i failed at English Drain 80% of the fat thats in the drip pan leave about 20% add veggies S/P balsamic vinegar and Rosemary thyme for the last hour. Solid crowd pleaser for those that hate mash potatos
>>
File: images (16).jpg (19KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images (16).jpg
19KB, 443x332px
This year I'll be serving up nothing but memes.
>>
>>7091570
my contribution is going to be a sweet potato mash with chipotle pepper topped with pistachio and caramelized maple syrup.
>>
File: milk_was_a_bad_choice.jpg (27KB, 573x457px) Image search: [Google]
milk_was_a_bad_choice.jpg
27KB, 573x457px
>>7091570
>menu
>>
I'm visiting family for Turkey Day. I'm bringing a couple bottles of wine and two boxes of expensive chocolate.
>>
I'm planning on rotisserie grilling a 23 lb turkey which has a lot of potential to go wrong apparently but I'm gonna try.
>>
>>7091570
mashed carrot and turnip or peas
>>
Maybe do a salad with pecans cranberries and a poppyseed dressing? Or a raspberry vinegarette
>>
>>7091570
>>
Plain ol' salted turkey and maybe some stuffing.

I've been eating turkey year-round, so I'm not all that stoked.
>>
>>7092369
Is that tastes good?
>>
>>7092369
That is incredibly depressing.
>>
>>7092369
wish I could go to, cook with and have thanksgiving with anyone who would buy something like this
>>
>obligatory non-murriblob post
>implying I celebrate genocide commited by my country
>implying eating the same boring predetermined shit doesn't get old (muh turkey/stuffing/cranberry/pies)

brittards eat that shit every sunday, fuck that it's not even good.
>>
i hate the holidays. my mom forces me to come upstairs and "interact" with my family. last year she wouldn't let me drink code red at the table, then unplugged my x box when i threw a fit. i dread this next week. why can't they leave me be? i'm 37 years old, and im sick of being forced to do thanksgiving.
>>
>>7092954
Oh shut up and go shit on some other thread you no-fun Nancy.
>>
File: Snapchat-2301629666113782954.jpg (815KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2301629666113782954.jpg
815KB, 1440x2392px
Have to have dinner with my family.

My mom is from Ukraine and still can't cook for shit after 15 years in America. Last year she cooked the turkey upside down then dropped a bottle of gin off the balcony

I'll be eating this so I'm catatonic for the conversation
>>
>>7091570
broccoli and cheese
>>
>>7093085
Post pics of some qt Slavic cousins :3
>>
i'm an indian, so i'm going to a powwow

muh frybread
>>
>>7093346
You better be going poo in a loo, Mahjeep
>>
>>7093346
We're going to torch your teepees and slaughter your horses.
>>
>>7093085

fuck off loser
>>
>>7091570

Maple burbon spiced glazed carrots
>>
>>7093085
Кoзaчi глaви впaли нeдaлeкo вiд piчки ...
Cлaвa пpo них нe вмpe, нe бyдe зaбyтo ...
>>
File: chick-sexer.jpg (94KB, 634x544px) Image search: [Google]
chick-sexer.jpg
94KB, 634x544px
>>
what about brussels sprouts, roasted portobello mushrooms or squash, sauteed winter greens or a warm kale salad, roasted root vegetables parsnips/rutabaga/turnips or cauliflower and Jerusalem artichokes, or leeks and butter beans
>>
>>7093483

Everybody who works this job must be dead inside.
>>
File: 1427222932876.jpg (591KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1427222932876.jpg
591KB, 1200x800px
>>
Roasted brussels sprouts and carrots with diced bacon
>>
>smoked turkey
>mashed potatoes
>slow cooker green bean casserole
>cornbread stuffing
>sweet potato rolls
>pecan cranberry sauce
>turkey gravy duh
>pumpkin cheesecake
>apple pie

I'm doing almost all the cooking but I love it (obviously cause on /ck/). Trying to keep the oven as clear as possible and doing prep before. So pumpkin cheesecake, cornbread, and cranberry sauce made day before along with just chopping and measuring and setting as much as possible aside the day before.

>>7091570
Also damn I'm surprised you aren't trying some kind of sweet potato thing if you want another veggie and a savory pie.
>>
File: thats bae.png (930KB, 608x606px) Image search: [Google]
thats bae.png
930KB, 608x606px
>having friends
>having family
>having a normie enough life that warrants you to come up with a "meal plan" for people
>>
>>7091570
goto: http://www.seriouseats.com/

Everytime this year they just post a fuckton of shit on their front page. Check it out.
I pretty much just used all of their ideas for last year.
Last year was turkey breast roulade cooked sous vide with turkey skin chicharones made in the oven, soupy mashed potatoes (the ones with wayyyy too much butter), and orange/cranberry sauce. I think maybe brussel sprouts.
This year I intend to eat left over Chinese food.. And drink. Gonna be gud.
>>
>>7094609
I made >>7094633
for myself. No friends or family.
C'mon, mang.
>>
My parents will be in the US for Thanksgiving for the first time in three years. They arrive Monday.

Dad insists on commandeering my kitchen and coking the turkey and trimmings to earn his keep. I'm dreading it because he's an honestly shit cook. As I live across the street from a supermarket, he's got just about everything within spitting distance, so I've little clue as to what he's going to make. Certainly a dry-as-fuck turkey and very likely two dishes of dressing, one rice and sausage, the other bread and giblet. Besides those three things plus the loaf of bread I'm gonna be baking for the meal and the vanilla ice cream I'm making for after, I've no idea what he's gonna whip up until he gets here Monday.

Maybe I'll have another cute story of mum mangling English trying to talk to people. I gave /ck/ a story once before, of her first visit to the US a few years ago when she tried to order something from a pizza place.
>>
>>7091570
I brought these to my family's Thanksgiving last year, you need these in your life

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/over-the-top-creamy-brussels-sprout-gratin-recipe.html
>>
>>7091570
I haven't decided since I'm going to be alone this year, but I will have a turkey, mashed potatoes and a bread dressing.
>>
>>7091570
I'll be alone this year (Like that isn't new)
>Going to grill Jerk chicken and Ghost pepper honey shrimp
>Green beans and mash potatoes on the side
>Going to get drunk off of Asio Otus white wine and Pravda
>Going to watch the Dog Show and cry about how I can't have any pets.
Go to sleep at like 12am
I get super sad this time of year. All of my friends have families and mine is across the state. I would love to see them but I always work late the day before and early the day after.

Only real good thing is I'm getting a bottle of William Larue Weller Bourbon for my birthday
>>
>>7091570
Roasted butternut squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrot something, cinnamon apples, something with corn, kale fuckery.
>>
Bought a box of stuffing mix and a frozen turkey so far.

Roast turkey
Stuffing (not in the bird)
Mashed potatoes
Probably some yeast rolls
A pie or two... sweet potato and maybe some kind of of kid-friendly chocolate mousse type of pie.
>>
>>7094666
Evil.
>>
Thursday's menu:

Turkey
Stuffing
Lamb roast
Gnocchi
Dirty rice
Mashed & gravy
Mac and cheese
Candied yams
Collard greens
Chana saag
Cranberry sauce w/ fig&blackberries
Sweet potato pie
Cherry banana cream pie

>>7093484
>>7093383
>>7092110
all this sounds delicious
>>
I've never really cooked before, but I'm gonna debone a chicken tonight.
What I need is a good idea for stuffing and seasoning. Everywhere I look is the unhealthiest shit I've ever seen.
Is a not-unhealthy chicken stuffing even a concept?
Even mushing some vegetables and meat together in a blender sounds like a good idea at this point
>>
>>7095984
decided the stuffing would be mushrooms, brown rice, bread, and spinach. Should be okay.
>>
>>7091686
>>7091686
sweet potatoes + oven-roasted poblano peppers + dried cranberries
bake swp till soft, peel and mash, add peppers and berries, and to your preferences heavy cream, butter, milk, sugar or brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, paprika, cayenne and salt and pepper.

you can serve warm and mashed or bake with a streusel top. it's one of my favourite dishes.
>>
File: Tofurky-Feast-Face2014XL.jpg (75KB, 545x425px) Image search: [Google]
Tofurky-Feast-Face2014XL.jpg
75KB, 545x425px
Got a couple of these on clearance for $6 last year and they were way more tolerable than I was expecting and the brownies weren't bad either
>>
>>7096326
I'm tempted to try this, what's the best ratio of potatoes to peppers?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.