[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pizza dough/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

Anyone have some tips for pizza dough?

I'm on my 5th or 6th attempt and I'm not getting any of those beautiful bubbles in my pizza crust. I've been letting it sit in the fridge 24-48 hours like many have recommended.

Wat do?
>>
>>7089575
What's your mixture?
>>
>>7089575
Using the right flour? Is your yeast okay? You need to tell us what you are CURRENTLY doing for us to help.
>>
>>7089580
00 flour
2 cups flower
2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry active yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup water.
>>
When you punch down the dough, don't punch down the edge, leave that with some nice bubbles in
>>
>>7089590
Seems right to me, >>7089591 would help yeah, the trapped air will expand.
>>
>>7089576
Any tips on my veggy problem lads?
>>
>>7089600
Nope
>>
>>7089583
Do you form the ball before or after you let the dough sit in the fridge?
>>
doesn't need to go in the fridge, that's just dumb. the dough needs to sit out in a warm spot to rise for a little bit. poke holes in the middle so the bubbles don't form there.
>>
>>7089615
>poke holes in the middle

Wat?
>>
File: REEEEEEW.jpg (11KB, 407x378px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEW.jpg
11KB, 407x378px
Pizza dough shouldn't be refrigerated REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7089661
It's called cold fermenting. Most pizza places do it.
>>
>>7089607
?
>>
>>7089575
Try adding 1 TBSP of butter and 2 eggs.
>>
>>7089590

First, the only way you'll be able to maintain consistency is by using a scale to measure your ingredients, including your water. Volumetric measurements are ass for baking.

Second, it's all about the heat. Using the same dough recipes, I've gotten way better results using the broiler to cook my pie than by simply baking it on a stone. Matter of fact, the longer the pizza cooks, the more moisture is drawn out of the crust, and the harder it becomes.

Use a stone, or a steel, or cast iron, or anything that will get hot as fuck and pass that heat to your pie, and preheat it in the oven as close as possible to your broiler, while still being able to slide the pie on it, for at least an hour. Slide your pie on the stone/steel right under the blazing broiler, and let it cook for about 2.5 minutes, then pull it and turn it for another 2.5 minutes, and you should be done. If you find your crust burns too quickly, then just use a water bottle to spray it down. If the bottom isn't completely done, you can turn the broiler off, and just leave it on the stone for a minute or two to help firm it up, but the longer it cooks, the more moisture gets drawn out of the crust, and the harder it gets.

I haven't use 00 flour yet, but I know bread flour works better than AP flour, and it's been worth it for me to pre-heat for at least an hour.

You can see some folks using this approach by checking out "cooking pizza with broiler method" on Youtube.

Good luck.
>>
>>7089615

A cold fermentation of 24-72 hours in the fridge makes the best pizza's.

Just pull it out and let it come to room temperature for a few hours before you use it.
>>
>>7089912
Why not bake it on the lowest rack next to the heating element so you don't burn the cheese?
>>
>>7089960

First, I haven't burnt any cheese using this approach...yet, though I have charred the crust occasionally when it bubbles up, which I don't really have a problem with.

Second, you don't get the same kind of heat transfer, which means longer cooking times, and dehydration problems that can cause the dough and crust to become like granite.

By using the broiler, you are exposing the pizza to two sources of heat radiation in the form of the stone, from below, and the radiant broiler from above. This double exposure helps to cook the pizza rapidly, without the loss of moisture, leading to a crust that is pretty close to what you can get from a wood fired oven.
>>
>>7090031
Tried it, results weren't any different.
>>
I like to put just a little milk in mine.
>>
>>7090560

What kind of flour are you using?
>>
>>7090705
Bread flour, can't find any 00
>>
>>7089590

00 is for wood-fired ovens. A home oven does not get hot enough for it to matter. You're better off using bread flour.

Bonus: 00 is a LOW gluten flour.

Watch YouTube videos on how to shape dough; and learn to force the bubbles to the edges and not flatten them.

Buy a pizza steel or stone and a peel. Preheat the steel/stone for minimum 1hr before launching.

If you can't do that, make pan pizza in a STEEL cake pan, and you don't need anything else.
>>
>>7089575

680 grams of KA AP flour
23 grams kosher salt
2 cups warm water
1 heaping yeast spoon (heaping 2.25 tsp)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp honey

Mix all the above together until full incorporated. Let sit 10 minutes. Knead for 10-15 minutes, or until it passes the window pane test with flying colors.

Let rise until doubled in size. Punch down and then let rise again until close to double in size. (or separate into 4 equal balls and freeze, defrosts beautifully).

About an hour before cooking, preheat baking stone in oven as high as it gets (my old over went to 575 F)

Separate into 4 equal pieces. Pat out very thin and toss it in the air! This actually does make the crust crispier. I like to parbake the crust for about 3 minutes, top, and cook another 8 minutes or so.
>>
>>7090764
I forgot to add, how you pat out your pizza crust has a huge effect on the final product. It is an art for sure, don't just use a rolling pin. You need to evenly flatten it without pushing out all of the trapped gas in the dough.

I haven't looked much, but try to find a reputable video online that shows you how to do it by hand. And dammit toss it in the air. I did a taste test and I couldn't believe it made such a big difference in the texture.
>>
>>7090756
I've been using a stone, it just doesn't seem lime there are any bubbles in my dough, even though it has nearly tripled in size.
>>
>>7090783
I've worked at pizza places, we'd start in the middle and using our finger tips push the dough out in a circular motion.
>>
>>7090733

If it's not the heat, it could be your recipe ratio. Maybe adjust your weight of water for more hydration.

How are you pressing out your pizza? You want to try to maintain as much of the fermented gases in the dough as possible, which is why using a rolling pin isn't a good idea.

This dude does a great job of explaining how to press out your pizza, and it's the technique used by a lot of Neapolitan pizza makers. The concept is to press the gas in the dough from the center out to the edge, and slowly stretch it as needed, in order to get a nice bubbly rise during cooking. When done right, you can see the gas start to form bubbles in the crust as you're pressing it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7Qusvea_Q

I'm using KA bread flour, and the results are far superior to the AP flour I used, and even better than store / chain pizza dough.

Keep at it, you'll get it eventually.
>>
>>7089590
Less yeast and get rid of the sugar, 5 gram ADY per 300-400 gram of flour seems like a lot.

You might also be overkneading if you're using a machine.
>>
File: Stanislaus-Tomato-Magic.jpg (37KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
Stanislaus-Tomato-Magic.jpg
37KB, 275x275px
>>7090791

That recipe you listed is 100% hydration. The magic number for pizza dough hydration is 63%, but 55-65% is common.

1 cup flour = about 120 grams

1 cup water = about 240 grams

Is your dough like soup? Did you pour it onto the stone? It's also a lot of oil and yeast.

Try this instead:

1 3/4 cup of flour

1/2 cup of water

(This is 57% hydration-- very easy to work with; you could add a T of water if it seems too dry)

3/4 tsp of salt

1/2 tsp sugar

1 tsp of oil

1/8 of a tsp of yeast (can eyeball and do 1/2 of 1/4tsp)

Knead until smooth; let it rest for maybe 5-10 min; ball; oil; put in Ziploc in fridge for 24 hrs. It will make a medium thickness pizza about 12-13 inches.

Preheat stone minimum 1hr at max temp on Middle rack before launching.

If for some reason you are using a rolling pin, don't. Go watch some YouTube videos on how to do it right.
>>
File: 61TG-F0XpIL._SL1000_.jpg (76KB, 828x1000px) Image search: [Google]
61TG-F0XpIL._SL1000_.jpg
76KB, 828x1000px
>>7090859
>I'm using KA bread flour

I used it for about a year (and still do for other things), but recently got some All-Trumps. The shit is amazing. It's so nice to work with.
>>
>>7091113
Can't stump the Trump.
>>
>>7089661
Develops flavour; means that you can make it ahead of time and just get straight to toppings when you're making the actual pizza.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.