[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wine thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 12

File: AuBonClimat.png (834KB, 848x571px) Image search: [Google]
AuBonClimat.png
834KB, 848x571px
What's /ck/ drinking this week?

Had a bottle of saumur earlier this week. It was a little green even for me and I usually like that sort of thing, so I went new world for tonight. It wasn't a mistake.
>>
>>7088368
>new world wine
>wasn't a mistake
Pick one.
>>
File: 2013-front[1].jpg (24KB, 219x260px) Image search: [Google]
2013-front[1].jpg
24KB, 219x260px
I don't really enjoy wine that much, mostly because it's hard for me to justify spending $30-50+ for a barely midrange bottle compared to other types of alcohol. Still, picked out a nice bottle for me and my girl's anniversary this Sunday.
>>
>>7088368
Good PN takes a few years to mature.

If you don't have your heat set on pinot noir all Turely single vineyards are bomb.
>>
>>7088623
Is that an average price for a nice bottle in the US? Wow. Here you can get good wine for 7-8 Euros, and above 10 Euros it's pretty much top quality. Then again it's a Europoor country.
>>
>>7089060
That's just california cult wine logic, but yes, european wine is generally a better value even here in the US. For $11 if you buy american, you're guaranteed to get a generic industrial grade wine. If you buy european, even with the markup, you can still find some ok wines for $11 if you're careful, although it depends on where you live of course.

Higher quality wines here average around $20-30 and up, depending on where you live and what kinds of stores you go to.
>>
File: MassayaRed.jpg (74KB, 347x1472px) Image search: [Google]
MassayaRed.jpg
74KB, 347x1472px
>>7088368
Tonight I'm eating at a French-Lebanese place, and will probably be drinking pic related. Not a fine wine, but pretty damn good.
>>
>>7089306
Come on, there are plenty of passable "everyday" wines that you can get for $10-20.
>>
>>7089675
For many people frozen dinners are "passable"
It's just an analogy, but my point is American wines in that price range tend to taste like cookie cutter dumbed down sysco-tier inoffensive dreck, with only rare exceptions
Why buy Big Fat Cuddly Bear Manischewitz-Style merlot or Mommys Time Out genuine hot climate oak barrel aged riesling when I can get something from France, Spain, Italy, or Portugal for the same price that doesn't make me want to hurl?

I mean sure I could go to the hipster store and hope they have that second wine from that cult vintner that sold out in 10 minutes, but it's easier and less stressful to just let AOC laws do what they were designed to do, which is to say, allow the consumer to make reasonable inferences about the quality of what's inside that bottle based on past experience rather than subscribing to some obscure wine journals on the internet.
>>
>>7089419
So how was it? The only Bekaa wines I've had came from Musar. A lot of people seem to hate it. I've never had a bottle that lived up to the reputation as being equal to a high tier Bordeaux, but they say it's wildly inconsistent.
>>
>Wine

I love wine, but its just so expensive to in to wine. I can buy really good beers for £3-£5. Sure it might only be one serving, but thats not a lot of money to spend. Or I can buy a bottle of whiskey or gin or whatever for £30-£50. Its a lot to give out at once, but I can open it, and keep it for a long long time if I want, and have lots of drinks from it.

If I buy wine, its £10-£20 for 3-4 glasses. Except I dont want to drink that much in one night. Sure I like to, but Id rather have one glass a night for a longer period of time. Except I cant keep a bottle of open wine for that long since it justs tastes crap after a few days.

How do you guys do it?
>>
>>7091081
I usually drink half the bottle on day 1, and half the bottle on day 2. Occasionally I'll finish it over 3 days, or drink it all at once. All at once is usually lower alcohol stuff (10% or so), or if the wine is particularly delicious and I just can't help myself. 3 days is when it's either not very good, or I'm being very disciplined and I know it's going to either improve on the second day or not be significantly worse by the third.

I didn't start drinking wine regularly until I had a basic middle class income (first "real job" at around $60k/year). Before that, my drinking habits were similar to yours. I drank wine for holiday meals, or when I was in a romantic situation, and I enjoyed it a lot, but it wasn't a regular thing.
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 1063x1385px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 1063x1385px
I like this wine and there's nothing you can do to stop me
>>
>>7091125
There were times when I had more disposable income where I would buy wine. I thought nothing of buying a £20 bottle and going through it whilst writing an essay, but now I cant afford that.

Its also far more variable than other drinks. If I get a bad beer, for £3 im not that concerned. As for spirits, I would have normally tried it before purchasing it. Not only are there so many types of wine, but every year is different. I just end up sticking to what I know I like, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Noir.
>>
>>7091151
>Its also far more variable than other drinks
I consider that a reason to drink wine, not a reason not to drink wine.
>>
>>7091154

If you have the money to do it, then its a good reason. Who knows what gems you might find. If you dont have the money to be taking the risk on unknown drinks, and you will be disappointed if they taste like vinegar, its a negative.
>>
>>7091161
Something is seriously wrong if you're having a problem with wines that taste like vinegar.

Either you're buying from a place that is offloading damaged wines (it's been known to happen), or you're making serious mistakes with food pairing. The most likely pairing mistake is that you're eating foods cooked or dressed with vinegar. This tends to make a lot of wines taste flawed, and this effect can last for the rest of the meal.
>>
>>7091151
>whilst

Sir, you dropped your fedora!
>>
>>7091246
Did you actually get so butthurt over a "whilst" that you saged your reply?
>>
>>7091246
Whats wrong with the word 'whilst'?

How would you have phrased it differently
>>
>>7088623
>>7089060
>>7089675
American on a budget here. I normally spend about $15 to $20 on a bottle of wine a week, really not that much. If I drank more wine it would be problematic, I don't really feel the need to though. I am new to wine so there is no reason to buy anything more expensive than that (yet) and even though I am loving it so far, I am fine with a bottle a week, because I also have beer and whiskey or brandy or whatever to drink as well.

On the topic of this thread, I think I had my first corked wine a couple days ago. It was a Trimbach Riesling 2013. The cork looked a bit odd, and smelled a bit odd too. The wine itself was not good at all. I am new so I am not quite sure, but it definitely seemed "moldy" to me.
>>
>>7091017
Great. Like a slightly overcooked southern Rhone. Spice all over it. Fit well against the food, which was great. We went here:

http://www.auzaatar.com/
>>
File: image.png (102KB, 449x1253px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
102KB, 449x1253px
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 300x450px
Flaco Tempranillo, great temp can find it for 10 bucks
>>
Magnificent
>>
just some chateau-basement homebrew wine (red)
>>
having a Beaujolais Nouveau 2015!

are you even trying?
>>
>>7092775
It's an inexpensive classic for a reason.
>>
>>7092891
I don't understand the hate for newbeauj

It's delicious and fun to drink
>>
>>7093724
>I don't understand the hate for newbeauj
backlash against huge hype. also let's face it: a good vintage is a pleasant preview of that year, a weak vintage is pretty much salad dressing.
>>
>>7093775
Do you live in Paris? Because there isn't really a problem with "huge hype" elsewhere
>>
File: Gluehwein-Rezepte.jpg (90KB, 424x283px) Image search: [Google]
Gluehwein-Rezepte.jpg
90KB, 424x283px
Mulled wine is best wine
>>
File: amarone.png (51KB, 300x410px) Image search: [Google]
amarone.png
51KB, 300x410px
>>
>>7095250
In the US is was a huge hype thing 20 years ago, and there's still a backlash against it, just like oaky buttery Chardonnays. The backlash against trends can last much longer than the trend itself.
>>
>>7095250
I don't see a huge hype around beaujolais nouveau in Paris though.

Beaujolais nouveau is terrible any way, the only good things about celebrating it are the cold cuts and cheese you eat with it; and a good reason to get wasted on a week night.
>>
>>7095627
>celebrating it
There you go again
Can't you just enjoy a simple cheap wine sometimes? Does everything have to be some obscure cerebral bullshit made by an insane bearded hermit on the slopes of mt etna out of pre-phylloxera yeast?
>>
File: 268363.jpg (95KB, 465x620px) Image search: [Google]
268363.jpg
95KB, 465x620px
speshul dinner = speshul wine
>>
>>7096337

Don't know that vintage but a few others. Bretty good value for the money.

>Weindepot?
>>
File: trespicosgarnacha.jpg (310KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
trespicosgarnacha.jpg
310KB, 1280x1280px
I am drinking this right now. Pretty good. Primarily red fruit with some black fruit (think black cherries and sour red cherries/kirsch) in the background, spicy too, lots of cinnamon or even nutmeg. Some vanilla as well.

>>7092891
>>7093724
>>7093775
Nouveau is perfectly fine to get drunk on once a year with family friends. 2015 was a really good vintage in Beaujolais. I am going to pick up a nouveau for thanksgiving and a Beaujolais Cru for a little after to compare.
>>
>>7096984
More of a fan of Morgon if I'm going for Gamay.
>>
>>7097059
But Morgon is a Beaujolais Crus wine? Obviously Beajulolais Crus is miles ahead of Beajolais Noveau, I implied that in my post. I am buying some Nouveau to get drunk on with the extended family on Tahnksgiving and some Beajuloais Crus for me myself.
>>
>>7088368
Mead is the superior wine.
>>
>>7088368
Wine noob here. Bought my first wine bottle this week only because it was dirt cheap. The taste wasn't horrible but for the price they were selling it, guess Arbor Mist wasn't the best choice. Hopefully I can find some place doing wine tasting so I can try something decent.
>>
>>7097415
I could be wrong but I don't think arbor mist technically is considered wine
>>
>>7097373
Mead is for obese neckbeards fantasizing about rescuing fair wenches from the lord wizard dragon and eating them with a side of ranch
Even Ethiopians make better mead and they're a starving third world poverty non-country
>>
>>7091151
You can get a really nice bottle for less than £10. Chianti, Rioja or Tempranillo are cheap and nice.
>>
>>7099639
Rioja is a region
Tempranillo is a grape
Please re-read the SI Brochure
>>
>>7088623
Wish bevmo ever had that shit.
>>
>>7098795
Wouldn't that make it /ck/'s official drink?
>>
>>7101987
I'm honestly surprised it's not discussed here more often.
One might argue it's because there's nothing much to discuss, but that never stopped us from taking fast food and beer threads to bump limit
>>
>>7100888
I do realise that. I also realise Rioja is often produced from tempranillo grapes. You also forgot to mention Chianti is a region in Italy. None of these points make my point any less valid.
>>
Merlot all day erry day
>>
>>7102108
It was unnecessary to mention chianti because you didn't mention sangiovese.

Please re-read the SI Brochure
>>
>>7102181
My first point still stands and why the fuck would I want to read the SI Brochure?
>>
>>7088368
ABC is the absolute best value in PN bar none. Decent Bourgogne at <$20 is challenging to find and most PNs under $25 suck. Clendenen, the ABC winemaker, knows balance better than most new world PN winemakers, but ABC gets overlooked by enthusiasts because it's cheap and ubiquitous. If he charged $30 for the basic bottling, $60 for the Knox Alexander, and make them less available, people will jump all over it like they do for the smaller PN producers. The Chardonnay is also really insane QPR if you give it some time to air out and can get over the whole "Anything But Chardonnay" meme. Even in regular ripe vintages like 12 and 13, the acidity is on point, and is fairly minerally for a low priced CA Chard.
>>
File: image12[1].jpg (172KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image12[1].jpg
172KB, 960x720px
This. For an Aldi wine, it's fucking delicious and passably cheap. Got some Faustino VII Tempranillo as well, also delicious.
>>
>>7105296
Op here, I really like the chardonnay as well

I don't subscribe to "anything but chardonnay", although I understand why it exists
>>
>>7088591

not OP, not from California or anywhere in the States, but did you start learning wine 6 months ago and haven't yet learned that new world wines can be fucking great?
>>
>>7108359
Not that guy, but most people who are not wine drinkers tend to erroneously inflate the quality of new world wines in their minds, because they're pumped full of adjuncts designed to make the wine appeal to people who don't really like wine.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.