[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

homemade versions of store bought foods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: garden salsa sun chips.gif (30KB, 215x278px) Image search: [Google]
garden salsa sun chips.gif
30KB, 215x278px
So I'm trying to eat healthier and not eat so many crisps/fast foods because It's hard enough to lose weight without all the processed food chems.

I've managed to use popcorn to satisfy most of my 'chip related' cravings, and have refrained from defeating the purpose by adding too much butter etc., but there are times when I just crave a particular chip... like Sun Chips garden salsa variety. So I was thinking If I could reproduce something similar for the flavoring at home, I wouldn't have to give in to the processed goodness; just slap it on popcorn or whatever.

So the ingredients list mentions a few obvious things,but then it goes into spices and 'natural flavor' (?) and maltodextrin and dextrose and all that, which I have concerns about.

So I was wondering, have any of you reproduced your own favorite foods at home? what did you come up with?

also, if anyone can give me tips on how to re-create that sun chips salsa flavor as a spice/salt that I can shake on other foods, that would be a plus!
>>
>>7084818
>So I'm trying to eat healthier
>I've managed to use popcorn to satisfy most of my 'chip related' cravings

wew
>>
>>7084818
Are you for real?

>healthy junk food
>>
>>7084823
>>7084831

I'm not shoveling it down my throat in 10 lb sacks, oh funposting fellows, I have some homemade popcorn when I get the urge to eat something crunchy; otherwise I eat reasonably healthy. so chill out "desu senpai"

food nazi threads are that way >>>/fit/
>>
>>7084837
The problem is your thread mate. Is it about recreating store bought foods at home, or is it a blogpost about your diet?
>>
>>7084818
OP you're a fucking idiot. You don' have to "eat healthy" to lose weight. Wanna know how you do this?

Calories in < Calories out

wa fucking la
>>
>>7084839
sounds like you're just looking for something to pick on. feel free to ignore the thread. I'm not going to have an internet fight with you.

>>7084840
and I'm not here to discuss /fit/ related things, regardless of your, I'm sure, long winded and less than interesting opinion on thermodynamics.

just looking to re-create a food item fellas, thats what /ck/ is for, food and cooking.
>>
>>7084840
Works fine until you start hitting the beer at 5
>>
Recreated McNuggets at home.
>>
>>7084866

I saw some pretty good recipies for that on youtube, though if you're talking about mc donalds I really feel like you have to grind the chicken into a paste or something in order to get the right texture. I've never tried it but I've made my own homemade nuggets and even with the best chicken breast the texture is just not quite right.
>>
>>7084881
>even with the best chicken breast

that's your problem. You need to find the cheapest mechanically reclaimed meat you can to truly recreate the mcnugget
>>
>>7084884
but isn't mcnugget meat like... the same stuff they use for hot-dogs? mechanically seperated bits of chicken and all that?

that was the whole controversy before wasn't it? the pink goo?
>>
>>7084889
Pink goo is what you get when you mix red white and blue god bless America
>>
>>7084889
The pink goo was proved to not be true
>>
Learn to google.

http://www.shutterbean.com/2012/mexican-popcorn/
>>
>>7084818
ive been on a low (10g) carb diet for about a year now. In the beginning when I had my crisp cravings i ate pork rinds and spicy ranch seasoning mix.
>>
>>7085278
anon
I appreciate your condescending reply, but I don't want 'mexican popcorn', I want to replicate the taste of garden salsa sunchips seasoning.

compredé amigo?
>>
>>7084818
Doubt the flavor is all that complicated.
Spoiler: Every barbecue chip flavor is pretty much smoked paprika, every spicy chip is cayenne.
Since there's a jalapeno on that bag, you probably just need to grind up some chipotles or normal dried jalapenos, no clue if that has a special name, maybe add a touch of sweet paprika/paprika + sugar.
>>
>>7085850

these are the ingredients:

whole corn, sunflower and/or canola oil, whole wheat, whole oat flour, rice flour, sugar, corn bran, tomato powder, salt, natural flavors, maltodextrin (made from corn), cheddar cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), dextrose, buttermilk, onion powder, whey, yeast extract, romano cheese (part skim cow's milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), whey protein concentrate, corn oil, spices (including jalapeno pepper), citric acid, paprika extracts, lactic acid.
>>
>>7085883

so by my guesses, if you remove all the ingredients that are the chip you get the following:

-tomato powder
-salt
-natural flavors
-maltodextrin (made from corn)
-cheddar cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes)
-dextrose
-buttermilk
-onion powder
-whey
-yeast extract
-romano cheese (part skim cow's milk, cheese cultures, salt, -enzymes)
-whey protein concentrate
-spices (including jalapeno pepper)
-citric acid
-paprika extracts
-lactic acid

now the obvious ones are fine, I've already pretty much gathered everything that's actually a real food from that list, but there are a few I'm wondering about

like maltodextrin, dextrose, citric acid, lactic acid, and the nebulous 'spices' and 'natural flavor.

I'd like to replace each of those with something that's not artificially made or processed, but I'm not sure what to use.
>>
>>7085907
>citric acid
>that's not artificially made or processed, but I'm not sure what to use.
Baking soda can be used as a substitute, no problem.
Make sure you get soda, not powder.
>>
just a quick bump to keep this thing going.
anyone got any other ideas for substututes for the things listed at the bottom of >>7085907?
>>
>>7085907
maltodextrin is the fancy name for corn starch
dextrose is also corn starch
citric acid is citrus juice
lactic acid is the liquid on top of yogurt or soured milk.
>>
>>7087660

wow that's awesome anon! thank you! um... just one thing.

how would I get those into powdered form? I don't exactly have a dehydrator handy.
>>
>>7087678
Can use the zest of a lemon/lime/whatever citrus fruit.
Slice shallowly with a really sharp knife, no worries if you cut too deep can just shave off the pith.
If you flat out don't have access to fruit, probably can just stick bottled lemon juice into a spray bottle and mist your seasoned popcorn before eating.
>>
>>7088357
Thanks for the advice about the zest, I could probably dry that out without worrying about mold, and throw it in my spice grinder to powder it.

I'm basically trying to reproduce the flavor that they put on the chips, so I'm going for a powder in the end.
>>
>>7087660
>maltodextrin is the fancy name for corn starch
Just because it comes from it doesn't mean that it is it. The body digests and breaks down the two entirely differently, even when it comes to adding them to liquid bases they act quite differently. They are not substitutes for each other by any means.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.