[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /ck/, let's make traditional British food! Today we're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

File: onion.jpg (123KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
onion.jpg
123KB, 1024x768px
Hey /ck/, let's make traditional British food! Today we're having cottage pie.

Fry off an onion, some garlic, and some herbs. I've just used a bay leaf and some thyme.
>>
File: mince.jpg (126KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mince.jpg
126KB, 1024x768px
Crank the heat up and add your mince. Don't fanny about with it, just let it sit there and get some actual colour.
>>
File: potato parsnip pot.jpg (113KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
potato parsnip pot.jpg
113KB, 1024x768px
Meanwhile, get your potatoes boiling for the topping. I like to add some parsnips too. Why? The reason is, that it makes your mash, taste a bit like parsnip.
>>
File: stock.jpg (152KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
stock.jpg
152KB, 1024x768px
Once the meat is brown, dust it with flour and fry that for a minute or two.

Then, add beef stock, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and some water.
>>
>>7082672
cute frozen stocks. very handy
>>
monitoring
>>
>>7082665
Adding parsnips to things make them taste like parsnips?

Amazing! This is groundbreaking news!
>>
>>7082728
did you know i use pepper to achieve that sharp delicate peppery flavor?
>>
File: filling and topping.jpg (142KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
filling and topping.jpg
142KB, 1024x768px
After about 20 minutes, or when you potatoes are soft, drain them and mash with some milk and butter.

Check the seasoning of your filling, and stir in some peas.
>>
File: pie dish.jpg (98KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pie dish.jpg
98KB, 1024x768px
Put the filling in a pie dish and top with the mash.

Rough it up with a fork a bit, dot with butter, and grate over some cheese if you want.
>>
>freezing your stocks

pretty good idea
>>
Pop it in a medium oven for twenty minutes or so - just check occasionally. I don't have a photo for this step.
>>
>>7082658
>cottage pie

One of the few British foods I absolutely adore.
>>
This is looking delicious so far.
>>
>>7082760
Everything is halal now, so the sand wizard performing the sacrifice will know it's a horse, not a cow.
>>
File: cottage pie.jpg (164KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cottage pie.jpg
164KB, 1024x768px
Took more like half an hour in the end. The places where the sauce explodes out the side are the best bits, reserve them for yourself.

Serve with green beans or a vegetable of your choice. Long live the Queen.
>>
File: leftovers.jpg (159KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
leftovers.jpg
159KB, 1024x768px
I didn't get an action shot because I was real damn hungry, but here's a cutaway view. You want the filling to be thick enough that it can pretty much stand up by itself.
>>
>>7082932
Jolly good show, OP!
>>
>>7082937
>>7082932
good one
>>
Cooked ground beef covered with peas, mashed potatoes, and baked in an oven?

O.K....

This is why people never open any "British" restaurants anywhere outside of the U.K..
>>
>>7082959
The more modern way to cook this dish is using using braised and shredded meat, such as lamb shank. Its slightly more refined. Not that I particularly like it in either way. OP has done a good job of cooking this dish in the classic way though.
>>
>>7082959
What's up ? No HFCS? No "cheese" product?
Unrefined faggot in all honesty.
>>
>>7082975
I think it was originally a way to use up leftover roast meat, so it's somewhat come full circle.
>>
>>7082988
Probably a way to hide and mask the taste of meat going bad.

Regardless, it looks like something an eight year old would come up with...
>>
>>7082997
>...
>>
>>7082760
Nowt wrong wi a bit o kicker my lad.
>>
Imo you should be using a mirepoix instead of red onion. I would have completely worked the mince too so it's more fine as opposed to the chunks.

The parsnip mash eh, that's personal taste I suppose.

Using fatty beef/lamb lends itself well to some red chili if you want to spice it up. If you want to be decadent add some red wine before the stock and let it evaporate.
>>
>>7082776
If you like cottage pie you'll probably like every other british dish, everything we make is either roasts, pies or stews. Good fucking grub though.
>>
File: steak and ale pie.jpg (308KB, 1024x2550px) Image search: [Google]
steak and ale pie.jpg
308KB, 1024x2550px
>>7083192
I normally would really, but I only had red onion, and the mince was from burgers so it didn't break down much.

>>7083225
This is true. I've done a few of these threads and the recipes are all remarkably similar. Pic related for example.
>>
>>7082658
I have that same pan
>>
>>7082959
There are British restaurants in the US.
>>
>>7083264
>There are British restaurants in the US.

Sure, and they're about as common as, say, a Tibetan restaurant, anon.

I think the closest thing I've ever seen to a "British" restaurant was a place that sold "fish and chips". Tasteless battered fried fish....and french fries.

Compared to Cajun, or southern fried fish, that shit can't compete.
>>
>>7082658
Where's the toast sandwiches? Bean sandwiches?
>>
>>7083358

You must live somewhere with a lot of Tibetan food because those pseudo-British pubs are fucking everywhere.
>>
big chunks of mince are nasty reeeeeeee

other than that it all looks pretty good, nice job OP
>>
>>7083376
>You must live somewhere with a lot of Tibetan food because those pseudo-British pubs are fucking everywhere.

A pub is to food what a restaurant is to beer, anon.

Nobody goes to a Mexican restaurant for the beer, and they don't go to a pub for the food.
>>
>>7083376
I never seen any. Mostly I've seen Irish pubs. Not sure how different they are tho. They got your typical bar food. Burgers,fries,wings,onion rings, etc.
>>
>>7083457

A British one, no. If you see one on an American city it's treated like a proper restaurant, server showing you to your seat, children allowed in, all of that. I'm not saying they're good restaurants, I'm just pointing out that they do exist.
>>
thanks op, I'm making this tonight
>>
File: jam pennies.jpg (34KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
jam pennies.jpg
34KB, 620x413px
>>7083548
Don't know where you got that impression from. She supposedly eats really simply, likes growing her own veg, and hates food being wasted on pointless stuff like decorative garnishes. Pic related is her favourite food.

Doesn't like potatoes much though, so she might not go for a cottage pie.
>>
>>7083457
>hasn't heard of gastro pubs
>>
File: of-course.gif (1014KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
of-course.gif
1014KB, 500x269px
>>7083457
>A pub is to food what a restaurant is to beer, anon.

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/features/michelin-star-pubs
>>
>>7082959
there aren't any 'British' restaurants in the UK. Pub food is the closest thing I guess.
>>
>>7083794
>there aren't any 'British' restaurants in the UK

http://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/restaurants/search_results.cfm/searchclasscode/123
>>
this seems like a kind if french hachis parmentier
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.