[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, yuropoor here, I'm making chili for the first time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0042.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0042.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
Guys, yuropoor here, I'm making chili for the first time tomorrow. I don't know all that much about it but I boughts peppers in >pic related. On the label it just says 'Pili' and that they come from the Dominican Republic.

Does anyone know what peppers these are and how many of them I should use?
>>
>>7079339

I don't know for certain, but those look like Scotch Bonnets or similar. They are probably very hot. "Pili" or "piri" just means "pepper" so that word isn't of any help.

>and how many of them I should use?
Taste-test the peppers then adjust the amount you use accordingly.

If they are scotch bonnets then they will likely have a fruity, sharp sort of taste. That's not very good for chili, IMHO. You want something with a more smoky sort of taste: Anchos, guajillos, chipotles, etc...
>>
>>7079339
>Piri piri is the Swahili word for 'pepper pepper'.[2] Other Romanizations include PILI PILI in the Democratic Republic of the Congo or peri peri in Malawi, deriving from the various pronunciations of the word in parts of Bantu languages-speaking Africa. Piri piri is the spelling of the name as used in the Portuguese language, namely in the Portuguese-speaking Mozambican community.
>>
>>7079342
>If they are scotch bonnets then they will likely have a fruity, sharp sort of taste. That's not very good for chili, IMHO. You want something with a more smoky sort of taste: Anchos, guajillos, chipotles, etc...
wow I just realized I don't know anything about peppers..

thanks, I'll taste them first, but they won't fuck up the concoction anyway will they? I'm a pretty good cook otherwise, just uncertain about these
>>
Small peppers are usually meant for flavoring or garnish. They have a little kick to them, but not that much. If those are the peppers you want to use, I would use the whole package. You can seed them if you want, but the seeds add a good amount of flavor when simmered for a long time. Some people just don't like the texture, mainly.

Try not to get caught up in the bean debate. You can have chili with or without beans and have it turn out fine. If you're going to have beans make sure they're appropriate for the chili. Kidney beans are common for red chili and garbanzo beans are common in white chili.
>>
>>7079345
I know, I googled them first, the ones pictured aren't the ones I got though

goddamn subpar labeling
>>
>>7079353
I got:
>canned tomato cubes (good ones)
>some tomato paste
>celery
>red bell peper
>carrot
>onions
>some garlic
>ground beef
>red kidney beans
and the unknown peppers in OP

this should be fine, no?
>>
>>7079350

No, they won't fuck anything up, they're just a non-ideal match for Chili IMHO. Do you have anything you can add to get that smoky base that chili has? Any commercial chili powder (usually Ancho-based)?

They'd make an awesome sauce for jerk chicken or grilled seafood though.
>>
>>7079368
i have some cayenne powder I could add as well as these pepper
>>
>>7079362
Friend, get rid of the celery and carrots. Beans are good. Try out the peppers to see how hot they are. Get rid of the spine and seeds if they're really hot. Just mince two or three for the whole pot to start with.
>>
>>7079362
I'm going to be honest, I was joking about the peppers. Generally, the larger the pepper, the milder it is. Tiny ones are (generally) quite spicy. Now, that's OK for chili, its supposed to have some heat to it. But you need to make sure you're ok with that amount of heat first. Additionally, the seeds and white flesh inside contain most of the heat. So be careful what you out in.

Chop one up and take a bite out of one of the pieces. See if you like the heat. If it's too spicy, look for jalapeƱo or poblano peppers. Or as the other anon recommended, Chipotle, ancho, guajillos, etc.

Also, wash your hands thoroughly and don't touch your eyes or dick/balls. Or wear rubber gloves. And don't put celery or carrots in chili, that's weird. Well maybe celery is OK, but diced fine. No carrots though.
>>
>>7079389
I scratched my balls after slicing chili peppers before, went through 2 hours of hell, nothing helped. I even dipped 'em in milk.
>>
>>7079389
Alright thanks but I thought the carrots, when I let them simmer for quite a long time, would give off a nice sweet flavour, no?
>>
File: 1236340161154.jpg (23KB, 450x299px) Image search: [Google]
1236340161154.jpg
23KB, 450x299px
Don't use ground beef.
Don't use beans.
Don't use beer.
Don't use chicken stock.
Don't use too much tomato.
Don't use corn.
Don't use carrots.
Don't use coffee.
>>
>>7079422
A lonely texan has arrived.
>>
>>7079422
u wot m8?
what is left to use?
>>
>>7079420
It's just not traditional. Also think about it this way: you wouldn't put carrots in a bolognese sauce or other tomato-based sauces/stews usually. The tomato should be sweet enough.
>>
>>7079432

Soffritto, which often contains carrots, is the base of many tomato sauces in Italian cooking.
>>
>>7079430
Make a chili paste from ancho, guajillo, and chipotle peppers.

Brown 1inch cubes of chuck, dusted with masa harina. Add chili paste + other spices and let simmer.

I think I missed a step but that's the gist of it
>>
I just bit off and ate a big piece of a red one.

They are the hottest I've ever had, my mouth is on fire and I have no milk or bread. wtf
>>
>>7079486
Looking at the package they look like scotch bonnet, which are among the hottest peppers out there. You're going to be very careful when you cut them up, unless you want tingly fingers/other body parts later. You need to be extra careful if you're making that chili for a date, depending on where your fingers go. If you get my drift
>>
>>7079486
I warned you OP. Don't touch your eyes or you will actually want to kill yourself.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.