[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone made shiozuke before? Seems simple enough, I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1395713195654.png (44KB, 310x396px) Image search: [Google]
1395713195654.png
44KB, 310x396px
Has anyone made shiozuke before? Seems simple enough, I just don't know how I'm gonna press the stuff. I've got a crock and a bowl that seems to fit decently over the top of it almost to the bottom. Does that seem like it'd work?
>>
I have no idea what that is, and I've been to Japan

How does that make you feel, weeb?
>>
>>7065758

You've been to Japan and you still don't know what pickles are?
>>
>>7065758
Not good I guess. It seems like it's just layering cabbage and salt and pressing it down with weight. I just want my folded pickles.
>>
>>7065747
Yeah, you just need pressure.

>>7065758
quick pickles, salted vegetables that you press down for a couple hours
>>
So... shio = salt. Zuke = pickles... so, basically... salt pickles IE lacto-fermented food, like sauerkraut?

Just put salt on X, let it leech out lots of moisture then drain X (retaining the water), wash X, drain X, dry X and, finally, put X into a pickling crock, wetting your hands with the leeched out salty water with each grab of X. Then put a weight on it and let it do its thing, basically.
So, yeah: so long as the bowl is heavy enough, it should do the trick.
>>
>>7065769
Oh that's good. From the recipe I'm using it says to just leave the vegetables in there for 3 days or so, I'm assuming at room temperature. Does that seem problematic?
>>
>>7065817
I'm >>7065784
I'm not sure about these Nippickles you're talking about, but sauerkraut takes considerably longer.
I grew up in a Nip-speaking household, but I've never heard of salt pickles before. Could be something that's generally just purchased at the store nowadays rather than homemade, so that's why I don't know about it.

Anyway, we did make some quick pickle things, but they're not lacto-fermented because they use vinegar: the veg is salted, drained, washed/rinsed and drained again then squeezed of all excess liquid, put into a plastic bag with sugar, vinegar and aromatics, squeezed of all excess air and allowed to sit for several hours. Usually, someone would make it in the morning to have with dinner or at night to have with breakfast.

Does that sound about right for your recipe?
>>
>>7065856
This is what I'm going off of
http://www.instructables.com/id/Tsukemono-Hakusai-no-Shiozuke-Japanese-Pickled/ So what you're describing sounds a bit more elaborate than what I'm doing, though it also seems like it would be more flavorful.
>>
>>7065922
So, that's basically less shredded, less salty, less mature sauerkraut.
Three days seem about right, I guess, yeah. You could always do what I do when I make any sort of pickle: taste it as it goes. After a day or two, taste and decide if it needs to mature further or if it's ready to your tastes.

Good luck, Anon!
>>
>>7066039
Thanks buddy.
>>
>>7065747
i want to stick my dick inside Bridget.
>>
>>7066570
See me in +R and maybe one day you can.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.