[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really need to add some new types of food to my usual meals.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1408871781724.jpg (37KB, 269x270px) Image search: [Google]
1408871781724.jpg
37KB, 269x270px
I really need to add some new types of food to my usual meals. I'm not a great cook, and I try to live (very) frugally, so it's a bit hard to come up with new ideas. I mostly eat a lot of chilis, eggs, shitty poorly made curry, sweet potato, etc. I do all my own cooking because eating out is too expensive.

I figured I'd ask you guys. What are some of your usual go to's, that most people could make? Good food and good variety is important.
>>
i had some leftover pulled pork, so i pulled an old can of refried beans out of the cupboard, rollen bean paste and pulled pork in tortillas and fried em. prettygood taquitos

cooking's fun like art, just do whatever!
>>
>>7063242
pasta dishes, rice dishes etc.

cooking is easy
>>
>>7063266
When I try to get creative it usually turns out pretty poorly. I think I need more practice first. I'm not awful when I know how to make something, but I don't know how to make many things.

>>7063267
I eat a good amount of that, but I try to eat healthy too, I'm studying nutritional sciences right now. So I try to limit pasta, and you can only eat so much rice.
>>
File: image.png (321KB, 480x545px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
321KB, 480x545px
>>7063281
>more practice first

not "first", now! just do it, that's what i started doing. i understand if you cant risk messing up food with your budget though :/

make some stew so you can choke down a lot of rice with it
>>
>>7063289
I try to get a lot of practice, I've definitely improved since I moved out on my own too. You're right that I try not to mess up much food though, and if I do, I usually eat it. That is not a good time. I tried to replicate the sauce a Tai restaurant used when I stir fried some chicken hearts with rice. It was not a good day. I'll get there slowly, but the first step is expanding on what I usually make. Stew is a good idea, and potatos are cheap. Now I need to figure out how to make it stew instead of soup.
>>
>>7063310
If things are coming out too watery, simmer it for ages till the water evaporates so it thickens, or add a cornflour slurry in and stir till the flour cooks and it thickens
>>
>>7063341
Oh okay, I figured it would be flour but I wasn't sure. I like to slow cook everything, partially because I like how it makes my apartment smell and partially because big pots cost about three times what a slow cooker costs. I take it I could only use the flour method in a slow cooker?
Do you have any decent recipes for curry? I love the stuff but I never really learned how to properly make it, so mine is usually awful. I just sort of mix coconut milk, spices, either chicken liver or peanuts, and broccoli then cook that for a full day.
>>
File: image.jpg (784KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
784KB, 1536x2048px
>>7063352
nah you can put flour in a pot. simmer simmer

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Classic-Beef-Beer-Stew

this is my favorite stew, play around the ingredients you have tho

here's some chicken thighs and diced potatos i just dumped paprika on and threw in the oven. i learned that potatoes take wayyy longer to cook than chicken. ended up only eating 3/4 of this
>>
>>7063352
Nah, you can do it in a pot, I've never actually used a slow cooker before. Also it's cornflour not regular flour, just mix it with water so it doesn't go clumpy, stir it in and it thickens in like a few minutes. Honestly I'd say just try different things, especially when the ingredients are safe like flour, never know, could find something more tasty/cheaper than anything others suggest. For curry I do much the same, spices and coconut milk for something quick, and if I want something better I'll Google specific recipes for curries like rendang or Thai green curry. Honestly I'd also reccomend pre made pastes for some curries as it works out at similar prices and tastes but much easier.
>>
>>7063372
Thanks for the recipe. I'm always hesitant to just google recipes because most of them I try don't turn out great, or they're just really boring, so having them suggested is nice.
Man whenever I try doing anything but boiling potatos they end up tasting like a mouth full of iron and I don't know why. My mums old roasted potatos when I was a kid tasted great, I had her try and teach me but even with her there they tasted like iron.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.