[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Commencing Saturday night, drunk af after a long week picture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 24

File: unnamed.jpg (9KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
9KB, 320x240px
Commencing Saturday night, drunk af after a long week picture dump..

Got some cool shit for yall

>come into work tuesday, see a huge box with a fin sticking out of it
>boss tells me he has a special project for me to get on right away
>has me pull the fish out of the box and get it set up on a table
>it's a 70 lb halibut
>i'm a flyover native from cleveland, so i have no idea what to do with a fish like this
>tells me i have to filet it and that it was $900 so i better not fuck it up
>shows me how to do one filet
>i do the next, fuck it up a little bit
>flip it over, fuck it up a little bit less
>third filet went well and it was a clean separation from the ribcage

feels good, man
>>
File: iFTCMvF.jpg (9KB, 180x320px) Image search: [Google]
iFTCMvF.jpg
9KB, 180x320px
>>7054202

partially fileted
>>
File: ZxADCcS.jpg (14KB, 270x480px) Image search: [Google]
ZxADCcS.jpg
14KB, 270x480px
>>7054203

all four filets
>>
That's a big fish.
>>
File: vz1jl38.jpg (9KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
vz1jl38.jpg
9KB, 240x320px
>>7054206
>>7054206

processed and packed up.. it was 80x portions between 4 and 5 oz, 20 between 3 and 4 oz, and 10 over 5 but no more than like 6.5 oz.

i was told to portion to 4.5 oz so i didn't fo terirbly but obviously could be more consistent
>>
>>7054208
FOR YOU
>>
File: hRzoVJZ.jpg (16KB, 270x480px) Image search: [Google]
hRzoVJZ.jpg
16KB, 270x480px
>>7054210

>pan seared halibut
>rosemary/sage house cured lamb ham
>carrot/saffron gastrique
>sliced tiny ass turnips
>lamb fat and stinging nettle dust
>nettle chips
>the green shit in the middle is an herb/halibut stock "nage"
>>
File: ip6MSjo.jpg (9KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
ip6MSjo.jpg
9KB, 240x320px
>>7054214
>>
File: KvEJlXG.jpg (11KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
KvEJlXG.jpg
11KB, 320x240px
>>7054216

my new staysh..i'm working hot side now while the chef works cold side/desserts and also expos/runs food.

fuck working cold side, it's so much more fun to actually cook. i make tons of mistakes still, and the chef rides my ass hard af (i have a lot of experience working hot lines at various places, but this dude is a perfectionist and doesn't let anything slide), but i'm getting so much better and learning so much.

just wanted to say thanks to /ck/ because some of you fags helped me decide to take this job when i was unsure of it
>>
File: MxrhRJh.jpg (9KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
MxrhRJh.jpg
9KB, 240x320px
>>7054224

octopus for tasting menu
>>
File: OqCSZNL.png (26KB, 90x160px) Image search: [Google]
OqCSZNL.png
26KB, 90x160px
>>7054226

like 35-40 lbs of salmon roe some dude just kinda handed off to us..

>be working last night on my new station, busiest friday ever.. getting raped with tasting menu pickups (i had to pick up/plate both the 3rd and 4th courses for the 5 course tastings on my side), and this dude just steps into the kitchen holding a bag and is like "hey, are you guys interested in taking these off my hands?"
>i have no idea what he wants and tell him to talk to the chef who was in the dining room running food at the time
>chef comes back into the kitchen like five minutes later and says "dude, that guy just sold me 40 lbs of salmon roe.."
>i ask why the fuck he would buy 40 lbs of salmon roe
>he goes "well, the guy was just like hey man, buy whatever you want, and i'll just give you the rest and come back and pick the money up later"

>tfw way too much fish eggs
>>
File: pa1KOfq.jpg (10KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
pa1KOfq.jpg
10KB, 240x320px
>>7054228

>brined in salt/sugar and rice vinegar
>smoked for like 8-10 hours
>>
File: Screenshot_20151108-122216-01.jpg (259KB, 1065x711px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151108-122216-01.jpg
259KB, 1065x711px
Ok, why the hell is that fish so high priced. I have to say I'm from a fishing village in Europe, with the biggest fish processing capacity of the whole of western Europe, but still, 900 fucking dollars for a halibut the size of a small tuna?! That fucking fish can grow up to 2,5 meters! It's ridiculous. We can get that shit for free here from our neighbors, and even if we were to get it at a store, it would be priced around 20 euro's a kilo, so that halibut there would cost a maximum of 200 to 300 dollars. God bless America and it's overpriced fish. I bet it wasn't even fresh. To see if it's fresh, look at the eyes, if they're nice and shiny, they're fresh, if they're muddy and mat, it's old fish. I feel sorry for your boss, he just lost around 600 dollars on that fish. Halibut tastes nice though. How are you going to prepare it? I would probably put it in the oven or grill it.

>pic related, it's one of the fish processing facilities in my village
>>
File: uCkAhtN.jpg (16KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
uCkAhtN.jpg
16KB, 360x480px
>>7054232
>>7054232

this was the first course on tonight's tasting menu

>smoked salmon roe
>stained soft egg (boil eggs for 5 minutes 50 seconds, ice bath, crack the shells and toss in a bucket of black tea/soy for a few hours)
>pickled artichoke; fried
>mascarpone mousse
>fig jam
>>
>>7054202
>i'm a flyover native from cleveland, so i have no idea what to do with a fish like this

Cleveland is on the shore of the largest Great Lake. That's like saying, "I'm from Maine so I don't know a thing about lobster."

Moron.
>>
File: UWkuQy5.jpg (16KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
UWkuQy5.jpg
16KB, 360x480px
>>7054239

amuse bouche (goes out before first course) for tastings

>truffle oil custard
>brunoised local raisin/nut bread
>cherval
>pickled raisins

thet hing that cuts the eggs like that is pretty dope..

>>7054234

i believe it was $12/lb.. according to my calculations, it'd be $636.30 USD at your prices.

i live in the pacific northwest of the states, and i know it was caught off the coast of oregon. the fish is out of season, but what you said is also what my old chef said to me when i told him what we paid. he said we paid waaayy too much.
>>
>>7054202
worked at a fish factory with people who fileted this stuff

never knew it was $900 though
>>
File: KoXeJcE.jpg (11KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
KoXeJcE.jpg
11KB, 240x320px
>>7054240

cleveland is on the shore of lake erie, which is (i think) the smallest lake overall, and i'm positive it's the most shallow. lake erie offers perch fishing, which is dope because you're allowed to catch something like 50 fish and you use a lure with 4 hooks on it and can sometimes reel in 4 fish at a time, and also walleye which are more of a sport fish.

we don't have shit like halibut and other fish over 20 lbs

>>7054252

halibut from tonight's tasting

>pan seared to med rare
>brunoised mire poix, tossed into hot pan with a little oil
>toss in two pats of butter
>once sweated, throw in julienned red pepper, linguisa sausage, roasted baby parsnips, butter beans, roasted lobster mushroom, parsley/sage
>couple spoons of halibut stock, season with salt
>once hot, kill heat and incorporate creme fraiche and sherry vinegar (we did beurre blanch friday but this way is better)
>plate and garnish with celery micro greens, herb oil, and some lemon gel
>>
File: CXrII9t.jpg (12KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
CXrII9t.jpg
12KB, 240x320px
>>7054263

frozen chicken carcasses for stock.. the classic french clawhammer technique was applied to break them up
>>
File: jxA7yKr.jpg (11KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
jxA7yKr.jpg
11KB, 240x320px
>>7054266
>>7054266

WA-LA
>>
File: PeclIcr.jpg (16KB, 270x480px) Image search: [Google]
PeclIcr.jpg
16KB, 270x480px
>>7054268

impossible shallots
>>
File: 5kXFYco.jpg (15KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
5kXFYco.jpg
15KB, 360x480px
>>7054272

main course of the tasting.. sorry, i know that i was on kind of a sauce circle kick tn but i was just trying to not fall behind and couldn't really conceptualize new ways to plate so i relied on what i know works

>sous vide duck breast, slow-seared fat cap down til the outside of the fat cap has a nice crust while the inside is rendered
>roasted quince (roasted with honey, white wine, star anise, and cinnamon)
>some of the roasted quince further cooked down with rose wine/champagne vinegar/sugar until it's a paste
>paste is combined with chicken stock and honey, then reduced to a loose syrup
>after duck rests, throw it in a pan with quince reduction and some butter, throw in oven and let it reduce/emulsify
>pull it out, let it rest again
>plate mascarpone/parsnip puree
>cut duck and place the pieces on a paper towel to absorb excess juices
>plate duck, spoon quince redux over duck, place the roasted quince pieces on the duck, then fried shallots, then a tiny bit of bleu cheese, then micro pea shoots
>finish with grated marcona almond and some huckleberry/anise salt (salt put in a spice grinder with star anise and dehydrated huckleberries)

shit is delicious
>>
>>7054202
I loved doing shit like this when I worked in restaurants.
Tuna was my favorite, a sharp knife cutting through that meat felt so smooth & the skin like leather. Really feels nice to work with high grade ingredients
>>
File: W97BsKr.jpg (13KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
W97BsKr.jpg
13KB, 240x320px
>>7054279

dessert course

>foie-gras butter profiteroles
>vanilla/bourbon/huckleberry ice cream
>foie gras cake batter (cured foie cubes, spun in a food processor with added cream/sugar and cake batter flavoring)
>huckleberries reduced in a vanilla/bourbon simple syrup

that's all i got for this week bros.. hope you enjoyed
>>
>>7054287

forgot the goat milk caramel..

>>7054285

dude, butchering meat/poultry and processing fish is awesome. it's so methodical and it's kind of meditative/relaxing in a weird way. it's definitley very satisfying
>>
>>7054268

Did you seriously smash apart frozen chicken in a parking lot?

What the fuck?
>>
File: 84JQO0h.jpg (8KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
84JQO0h.jpg
8KB, 240x320px
>>7054287
>>7054287

here's a pic my mom sent me from back home..

my dog joey is always related
>>
>>7054268
byewdiful
>>
>portion sizes fit for ants
>>
>>7054409

there's a pizza hut literally half a block away from our restaurant.. you can get an xl pie for like $20 and it'll be enough food to last you two days

or you can pay $55 and eat 5 courses of well thought out/prepared shit. i gues it just depends what you want out of an eating experience; people def leave full from 5 courses though
>>
>>7054224
Is it common to have wood cutting boards in a restaurant? I would think the health guys wouldn't like it.
>>
>>7054472

wood cutting boards are fine as long as you don't put raw meat/seafood on them.. i use a separate plastic cutting board to cut proteins up on. raw fish goes on a metal skillet to be seasoned before being cooked..

the wood board is pretty much just for vegetables/fruit and cooked things/plating
>>
>>7054292
Agreed. It's very satisfying to know where your food comes from & have that connection
>>
>>7054502

right.. and not letting any of that animal's sacrifice go to waste; using every part of that creature's physical self is really important if you're going to use animals that have been killed for food.

that's why i get so mad at myself if i fuck up a butchering/seafood processing project.
>>
>>7054382
Blue dawg, dayum
>>
>>7054543

he chill af, senpai
>>
>>7054548
Mirin' hard tbqfh senpai
>>
>>7054620

since when does f/a/m become senpai?
>>
>>7054644
The new owner is a racist nip who doesn't like nigger speak.
>>
File: strongindependentwomyn1.jpg (26KB, 190x258px) Image search: [Google]
strongindependentwomyn1.jpg
26KB, 190x258px
>>7054644
maybe spend less time on reddit to be honest family
>>
File: Anti-Jap3.jpg (80KB, 438x600px) Image search: [Google]
Anti-Jap3.jpg
80KB, 438x600px
>>7054672
Fucking japanese keeping the bantz down
>>
>>7054672

that makes sense.. nips do hate black people

>>7054687

i spend most of my time at work, dingus khan.. it had to have happened in the last week because last weekend when i was shitposting everything was normal
>>
File: 1439140143028.jpg (41KB, 460x360px) Image search: [Google]
1439140143028.jpg
41KB, 460x360px
>>7054266
>the classic french clawhammer technique
>>
>>7054292
Totally agree. I just wish I had a larger kitchen and/or more call to do it. The most I do nowadays is parts out a chicken.
>>
>>7054707

parting out a chicken is still something that 95% of the population can't do.. shit is pretty esoteric

>>7054703

it's one of the first things you learn in culinary school (or so i hear, idk cause i never went)
>>
>>7054692
you just got this off the new histories and humanities board didn't you
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
I know that halibut feel so well, anon. im tournant but my main station's broiler, which means I have to keep all my knives obnoxiously sharp all the time, and they all usually dull up pretty fast because butchering and de boning and slicing shit on a busy weekend does that to knives.

The worst is when we get a halibut in to fabricate, filet and portion and I haven't sharpened my knives yet so my paranoid ass spends 10 years on a stone and steel so I don't fuck shit up too bad

Here's our latest halibut dish (fucking warped pans fucked up my sear)

Sorano beans and bean purée, grilled raddichio seasoned w anchovy vin, balsamic, evoo

Kinda simple but it tastes so on point desu senpai
>>
>>7054791
HOW DID MY PHONE AUTOCORRECT DESU TO DESU SENPAI

I don't watch enough anime for this to be happening
>>
>>7054796
Tbh

Senpai

Tbh senpai
>>
>>7054806
well fuck. Excuse that autism episode
>>
>>7054791
>>7054796

it autocorrects "senpai", lol..

dude i was literally faking like i knew what i was doing.. my first filet looked like i cut it with a dead rat's spine instead of a knife

for the other ones, i used a scimitar to make a slit from the front to the back down the lateral line, and then a boning knife to separate the meat a little at a time til i could just slide the knife across the ribs to separate the meat completely

dat dish sounds good tho.. beautiful sear on thgat fish
>>
>>7054813

*it autocorrects "f/a/m"
>>
>>7054287
> filenames
Posting shit from reddit. Fuck off.
>>
>>7054873
desu senpai
>>
>>7054813
Yeah I totally sperged out thinking my phone just assumed I was a weaboo

Working with the really fuckin big fish is tough as shit. The only reason my first time fabricating one didn't look horrific was because i was such a little bitch about it, took me for-fucking-ever to get it done. Got hella yelled at by the chef. Still doesn't beat the time it took me an hour to clean/portion our dry aged ribeyes

AHhh word dude thanks for the compliment but that's definitely not my best sear (totally had to refire because it was for a photoshoot and chef would prob have an aneurysm over the uneven sear haha)

Tasted bretty dope still tho. Basting shit in butter and herbs can probably make anything taste magical.

>>7054252
This looks pretty af m9, I wish we have more of a shit about the presentation of our amuse, yours is fuckin nice. what kind of truffle oil do you guys use? None of that petroleum fake truffle mierda yeah?

Basically love literally all the plates you're posting. Do you guys have any stars? I'd ask for your restaurants name but I wouldn't give out the name of the place I work at and I don't expect others to whip out that shit either haha
>>
>>7054279
looks like a car crash and sounds needlessly complicated to make
>>
>>7054906

m8 that piece of fish is cooked fantastically.. don't play like it isn't.

i'm glad you like what we're doing. the chef is such a prodigy, he's 26 (same as me) and he literally operates on another plane of culinary existence. every day he's doing something new..

the amuse has been a huge hit, people love it. we use trufle oil from this olive oil place down the street; we literally never use the stuff but it is delicious in the amuse.

we just opened up the restaurant at the beginning of september, so no stars or anything.. we're shooting for a james beard award and a best new restaurant in the city
>>
>>7054928

no shit.. during service, the only things i need to do are sear the fat cap, rest it, make the pan sauce, and plate/put all the extra shit on.

imagine doing that 40x, and people yelling about how they need the plates faster
>>
>>7054873

i upload them to imgur, you faggot..
>>
>>7054226

did you cum on that?
>>
>>7056033

yes.. i have to edge for like 20 minutes before i'm able to get that type of spread when i bust the nut
>>
>>7054202
>$900

Jesus I catch halibut all summer long in Alaska, I could have been selling it this whole time?
>>
>>7056106

yeah man.

idk what it sells for while in season, but we dropped some $$ on that nice fish
>>
>>7054211
WAS GETTING CAUGHT PART OF YOUR PLAN?
>>
>>7056627

hearty kek
>>
>>7055954
Uploading them then downloading them again to upload. I find that hard to believe. That's like saving a jpg then saving to png.
>>
thanks OP you're not a fag desu
>>
>>7057259

Reverse image search.. I have my reasons, friend.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.