[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cast Iron Pans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 20151103_183843.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
20151103_183843.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
Hey /ck/, just got a cast iron pan. I seasoned it and it spend a couple hours in the oven. Does it look seasoned? Pic related.

Also, what should I cook with it?
>>
COOK SOME MOTHERFUCKING CORNBREAD IN THAT SHITS
>>
File: 20151103_183745.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
20151103_183745.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
Op here with another pic.
>>
>>7040578
Do yourself a favor, sand down that shit and start your seasoning. Newer cast iron have a rough surface with makes food stick. You'll save so much time. Trust me.
>>
>>7040578
>>7040585

Too thick, it'll flake off before you know it.

But whatever, dont strip it down to iron or sand it unless you're really fucking bored one day.

It'll work, just not ideal.
>>
>>7040578

>bought cast iron cookwear

You just got memed son.
>>
>>7040578

looks pretty damn good to me, but I don't know shit. My lodge isn't that shiny.
>>
>>7040585
Way too much grease.
>>
>>7040578
The only way you're going to season that bitch is by cooking on it.
>>
Bumpin'
>>
>>7040908
What is there to bump? You need to clean that shit out and season it properly. Those pictures look make it like you just smeared vaseline all over the inside of the pan.
>>
>>7040578
How many gallons of oil did you use?
>>
>>7040578
While seasoning you have to add the oil bit by bit as it dries out. You aren't looking to layer the fucker with rancid grease, you are trying to polymerize the fat and bind it to the iron.
>>
I don't know how to season one of these or clean it after use. Can somebody please explain?
>>
>>7041248
Jesus. Its called google.
>>
>>7041248
Seasoning is a slow process. I use a hot plate outside to do it, but some folks can use ovens, which does work better.

Wipe down the surface of the pan with the fat of your choice. I like tallow, but most fats will work. When I say 'wipe', I quite literally mean put the thinnest layer possible of the oil you are using. Heat to the point where it starts to smoke gently, but not enough to cause it to burn. There is a difference here, and it'll take some careful control of the heat to get it right.

Continue heating and keep an eye on it. As the surface of the pan starts to look dry, give it a quick wipe with the oil again. Repeat for several hours.

Once you have a goodly layer of seasoning, cook as you will. When cleaning, I just give it a dose of hot running water and a light scrub with a rough cloth. Doesn't take much to get anything off of it. Once done, I put it back on the hot plate for a few minutes at light heat to bake off the moisture, then give it a quick wipe with olive oil and store it.
>>
>>7040586
>implying pre seasoned new cast iron is shit
>implying you want a mirror finish
>implying a mirror finish surface is porous enough to hold a good base of polymers

I'm not saying you want a pockmarked pan, but a pan with a little roughness is perfect, the fats soak in and polymerase and then have a place to settle which leads to a smooth surface, buffing a pan to a mirror finish screws that up.
>>
>>7041248

Fool-proof way to season a new cast iron pan.

You will need:

- A cast iron pan
- A pound or two of bacon
- Heat

Place your cast iron pan on the heat on the lowest setting. Put your bacon in the pan and render the fat. It's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that the heat is low. You're looking to render the fat out of the bacon, not fry the bacon crispy. If your heat is too high you'll make fond and it's going to stick to your unseasoned surface and ruin the whole process.

Once you've rendered all the fat out of the bacon take it out of the pan, set it aside, and turn the heat all the way to high. When the fat just begins to smoke take the pan off the heat and wipe it down completely in the fat. The cooking surface, the handle, the bottom of the pan, everything.

Once the pan has cooled down a bit, add some more bacon and repeat the process until you don't have any more raw bacon left. By the time you're done you should have a nice slick, black surface. Congratulations, you now have a seasoned cast iron pan.

As far as maintenance goes, for the first few months of use I would avoid cooking anything overly acidic in it because it can eat away at the seasoning. For cleaning I use very hot (near boiling) water and a stiff plastic brush. While the pan's still hot from the water, wipe it down with a paper towel covered in whatever oil you have on hand. I usually use canola.
>>
>>7040578
SALT IT FIRST!
>>
>>7040578
Seasoning a pan is simple. Firstly put half an inch of salt in the bottom of the pan. Heat until the salt is turning golden brown. Let the pan cool. Now oil the pan and heat till it smokes. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool.
>>
File: bacon333.jpg (5KB, 251x153px) Image search: [Google]
bacon333.jpg
5KB, 251x153px
>>7040578
>Also, what should I cook with it?

bacon, always bacon
>>
>>7040578

Pay careful attention to this thread OP. Take note of the angry and sardonic comments. Note the bare faced autism on display.

This is your future unless you desist your use of this cookware at once.
>>
>>7040668
>inserting words where they don't exist
got=/=bought
>>
>>7041867

he'll pay for his decision sooner or later.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.