[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Healthy Diet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

File: Balance_plate.gif (78KB, 477x396px) Image search: [Google]
Balance_plate.gif
78KB, 477x396px
Hey /ck/, first time poster here, hoping you guys could help me out with someting.

So I've been subjected to local radiation therapy targeting parts of my mouth/chin for a while now and have begun to notice a decrease in taste in general. When I brought this up with my doctor he said it's an unfortunate side effect called Ageusia and said there's a likely chance (since I decided to continue with my radiation treatment) that I'll have no gustatory perception whatsoever in a few months.

Cool, so why am I here? Well, I'm relatively young (27) and I've treated my body like shit throughout my life mainly because I love greasy, oily, fat food. So it got me thinking maybe I could change that around? If I'm not going to taste things anymore, I might as well adopt an incredibly healthy diet with disregard for personal preference, right? It can be vegetarian, vegan, meat, fruit, carbs, whatever daily diet that better takes care of my body from now on.

I'm not sure this is the right board to post this, I thought about asking /fit/ but I fear their response would be >MEAT >PROTEIN >NO SALAD or something like that; and I thought this board might have some nutritionists or whatever.

tl;dr suggest the healthiest diet you can think of, I don't care about what I have to eat
>>
File: HEPApr2013.jpg (765KB, 1854x1450px) Image search: [Google]
HEPApr2013.jpg
765KB, 1854x1450px
>>5645817
DASH diet or follow the Harvard plate.
>>
Healthiest foods I can think of:

Oily fish, sardines especially
Liver
Nuts and seeds
Sea vegetables/seaweed
Dark green vegetables like spinach and broccoli
Avocados are bretty healthy too
Cocoa powder
Whole eggs
Whole milk (although I know I'm about to get shit on for this one)

Check this out, this researcher has made a point of trying to build a hypothetical diet that would fill the average person's recommended daily intake in all vitamins and minerals, and examined the differences for vegetarian and vegan versions:

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2012/03/five-a-day-the-truth/
>>
>>5645832
>>5645830
thanks, I'm looking them up right now
>>
>>5645830
Is canola oil not the superior option since it's easier (and cheaper) to get a high quality version compared to olive oil? Also can canola be used as a dressing or just cooking?
>>
>>5645832
Re-skimming that article, I forgot to mention oats. Good source of niacin and whatnot.
Of course, if you buy oats, look for the extreme opposite of 'quick' oats.
>>
File: omega-coconut-oil.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
omega-coconut-oil.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>5645843
Canola is just alright, in my opinion. It's higher in monounsaturated fats that other vegetable oils (which is good), but it's omega-6 is still really high, which, in excess, can cause arterial inflammation.

It's actually very similar to olive oil in lipid composition, except olive oil is probably healthier because of it's anti-oxidant effects.

If I'm looking for the ultimate 'healthy' oil, I'd go with coconut oil, which is high in the coveted medium-chain triglycerides, shown to protect against Alzheimers. MCT is even sold as a supplement because it's also shown to act like a thermogenic, increasing metabolism.

Coconut oil also has a very high smoke-point, which is great for cooking, and keeps the oil from oxidizing.

I found pic related in my local grocery store, and it doesn't taste coconut-like at all, it's very neutral which I like. I even make homemade popcorn with it.
>>
File: Basic Diet Advice 2.jpg (1MB, 2849x1834px) Image search: [Google]
Basic Diet Advice 2.jpg
1MB, 2849x1834px
Unrefined plant-based diet
>>
>>5645858

>If I'm looking for the ultimate 'healthy' oil, I'd go with coconut oil, which is high in the coveted medium-chain triglycerides, shown to protect against Alzheimers

The FDA had to send a cease and desist letter to Dr. Mercola for claiming this. Coconut oil is not a proven treatment for alzheimers, and it contains long-chain saturated fats in addition to the MCTs, which are not good for you.
>>
>>5645865
That is the ugliest infographic I've ever seen.

But, on topic, while plant-based diets can be healthy, I am fully convinced you'd need some very specific supplements to go with them. Don't pull a Gwyneth Paltrow and get anemic and vitamin deficient from nothing but vegan food.

This is coming from someone who even takes supplements on a non-plant-based varied diet.
>>
>>5645871

>I am fully convinced you'd need some very specific supplements to go with them

B12 definitely, but that's about it. I would also recommend vitamin D if you live in an area where that's a problem, but that applies to everyone
>>
>>5645871
Well, as I said it can contain anything. If a vegan diet lacks something I'd be more that okay with incorporating other food that contains what is missing.
>>
>>5645872
Yeah, I take vitamin D, fish oil, and a good strong multivitamin everyday.
>>
>>5645877

I've taken fish oil before, but now what I do is get 4 tablespoons or so of flax seed, grind it up in my spice grinder, add balsamic vinegar to it, and use it as a non-oil salad dressing for my greens. Has over 9 grams of omega-3, plus fiber, lignans, and a host of phytochemicals
>>
>>5645886
Although, I heard that plant-based omega-3s (ALA) are not nearly as readily absorbed as fish omega-3s (EPA and DHA). Something silly low like only 3-5% of ALA can be utilized by the body.
>>
>>5645890
I forgot to mention though, that's a great idea for getting in extra fibre and whatnot.
>>
>>5645832
this is probably the best nutritional advice i've ever seen posted on /ck/. it's omnivorous, well balanced between fat, protein, carbohydrate with rock solid vitamin and mineral content.

>>5645848

i assumed this was coming also.

>>5645817

you should listen to this.
>>
File: The-more-you-know.png (851KB, 1280x931px) Image search: [Google]
The-more-you-know.png
851KB, 1280x931px
>>5645868
it's incorrect of him to imply that you splashing coconut oil on your rice will "protect against alzheimers" but MCT oil is used for ketogenic therapy in clinical treatment of alzheimers as ketone bodies significantly improve glucose-starved alzheimers brain function.
>>
>>5645868
Well, then, my second choice would be macadamia nut oil or avocado oil. Almost pure monounsaturated fats. Macadamia is a bit more neutral tasting, but not as neutral tasting as say, canola. I personally dislike the taste of avocado oil, and never ended up finishing the bottle I bought.
>>
>>5645890

That idea has a side of truth but is also misleading. It's the same as beta-carotene's conversion to vitamin A; your body converts what it needs. Just like if you eat a lot of animal-sourced, pre-formed vitamin A, your body converts less beta-carotene. If you eat more animal-sourced omega-3s, your body converts less of the ALA to DHA and EPA. There's been a study on this that showed omega-3 conversion increases dramatically on a completely plant-based diet

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/92/5/1040.long

Although the vegans in that study had a lower overall intake of omega-3 (likely just ate green vegetables and starches rather than high omega-3 sources like flax and walnuts), their levels were similar to other diet groups, including fish eaters. In fact, male vegans had higher EPA and female vegans had higher DHA than even the fish eaters (table 5)
>>
>>5645817
>worst balance ever fruit and veggies = cereals LOLOLOL
>>
>>5645832
No shit for whole milk, it's delicious and calorie dense... But it will make you fat.
>tfw drinking two to three gallons of delicious whole milk a week
>>
>>5645868
But at the same time, the 'evidence' for saturated fat being bad for you is outdated and wasn't even good science in the first place.
>>
>>5646173

And it's not good for your heart. Neither are eggs though.
>>
>>5646180

Why do you believe that?
>>
>>5646183
presumably because it's true. it was early science that was misrepresented as universal truth. it is only correct to say "this is the best we know right now." and that hasn't changed, except that we can now say "the best we know right now is that saturated fats aren't inherently harmful and that a moderate amount, roughly 30% of your total fat intake, is either non-harmful or beneficial.

reticence and moderation.
>>
>>5646322

Again, why do you believe that? No mainstream health authority agrees with what you just said.
>>
File: 2nla71d[1].jpg (25KB, 553x484px) Image search: [Google]
2nla71d[1].jpg
25KB, 553x484px
>>5646322
>>5646180

>MAINSTREAM archaeologists are all wrong
>the TRUTH is ALIENS
>>
>>5646331
even if they did not--which they in fact do--it wouldn't be as relevant as the results of years of peer reviewed studies which contradict previous ones. to the best of my knowledge there is no real debate amongst researchers about the body's tolerance for low to moderate saturated fats because they typically come packed in with "good fats" in healthy foods. even the AHA, which notoriously lags behind modern research to avoid being taken in by anomalous results, recommends a non-harmful limit of ~7% total calories from saturated fat which--by their overall recommendation of ~25% calories from fat makes it roughly 30% of your total fat intake.

we really don't know all that much about human nutrition or, perhaps more accurately, we tend to be bad at drawing useful conclusions about it from our data. that's why anyone who is in the field and neither a forum warrior or political dieteer (many vegans and "low carbers" fall into this category) is so reticent to give people advice beyond avoiding trans fats, increasing intake of leafy greens and nuts, and above all moderation.

i'm not sure of your purpose here: if authority is what you seek then nutritional science is a strange place to look for it.
>>
>>5646331

I've had two professors say that, one was a registered dietitian and the other is some old as fuck dude who has worked as a research scientist in the nutrition field for at least 40 years
>>
If you're about to lose your sense of taste in a few months, it makes sense to me that you eat whatever tastes good to you without giving a shit on health. Like, I would eat nothing by bacon and chocolate and cake for 3 months.

Also, acquire a taste for spicy foods, as (I believe) you will still be able to feel those.
>>
>>5646391

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=422

>A UL is not set for saturated fatty acids because any incremental increase in saturated fatty intake increases CHD risk.

They'll tell you not to get MORE than 7% of your calories from saturated fat, but just like with sodium and cholesterol suggestions, it's not "you should make sure to eat this much, it's totally harmless" it's just "this is the most you should eat without dramatically altering your diet." As the NRC says,

books.google.com/books?id=ozYrAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12

>Although the committee recommends that the total fat intake of individuals be 30% or less of calories, there is evidence that further reduction in fat intake may confer even greater health benefits. However, the recommended levels are more likely to be adopted by the public because they can be achieved without drastic changes in dietary patterns.

Which seems to be a common theme, mentioned again in this separate article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3263907/

>while the most obvious solution to metabolic endotoxinemia appears to be to reduce saturated fat intake, the Western diet is not conducive to this mode of action, and it is difficult for patients to comply with this request.

Basically, it's best to lower saturated fat as much as possible
>>
>>5645817
obviously you know that processed shit like breads n other stuff with HFCS is a no go. since i dount youre lifting cuz of the treatments id go with vegitarian(rgards by the well, get well soon anon). or pescatarian just to be sure you dont get beef thats been treated with shit you dont need. lots of veg and lots of fruit too wouldnt hurt. lots of water. get well soon brah
>>
>>5645848
yeah oats for quality carbs for sure
>>
>>5645858
alzeimers is mainly genetic so i dont see how an oil could protect against genes
>>
>>5645830
>The Harvard Plate
>>
>>5646451

>http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=422

these clever folks also famously, and laughably, declared the human brain could only get energy from glucose. would you like to learn about skepticism? it's a fascinating concept.

>Although the committee recommends that the total fat intake of individuals be 30% or less of calories, there is evidence that further reduction in fat intake may confer even greater health benefits.

selectively quoting the second half of their statement which only one sentence previously confirmed exactly what i said does not in any way help your credibility. i recognize this behavior; you are not unique in selectively quoting nutritional research.

>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3263907/

i really wish you'd read the things you've hastily googled and thrown at me as if to delay the inevitable confrontation between your apparently political understanding of nutrition and reality. you look very silly.

people like you tire me the hell out. for whatever reason you desperately require your beliefs about human nutrition to be true i hope you resolve that some day. or at least shut the fuck up about it on the internet: you shouldn't be giving anybody advice anymore than carnivore bloggers.
>>
>>5646480
it doesn't. it and, more specifically, MCT oil are used in some alzheimers therapies to induce ketosis so the alzheimers-hobbled brain has some energy to metabolize via ketones.
>>
>>5645817
You should be asking us what unhealthy and delicious things to eat while you still can. Enjoy it now. You'll have the rest of your tasteless life to be healthy.
>>
>>5646533

Are you okay? There's no need to get mad about this stuff, it just happens that you're mistaken. It's understandable that you'd be confused about nutrition, but it's pretty clear what's healthy and what isn't. Heart disease, our number 1 killer, has been shown to be preventable and reversable with a diet low in total and saturated fat. Caldwell Esselstn and Dean Ornish proved this, while at the same time Robert Atkins attempted to get the same results for but died obese with heart disease before he ever got any evidence. He even got called out one time for attempting to publically claim that his diet could reverse heart disease, by Dean Ornish who actually has reversed heart disease

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feCpP40ZHqI#t=2h35m44s

Watch from 2:35:44 to around 2:39:30. It's funny stuff
>>
File: 1405540389221.png (104KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1405540389221.png
104KB, 250x250px
>>5646181

oh boy here we go
>>
File: Happy Tree Product Image-2.jpg (59KB, 765x850px) Image search: [Google]
Happy Tree Product Image-2.jpg
59KB, 765x850px
Maple water is now a thing. Hold me, /ck/.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.