[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lolita to college/school/university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_9332.jpg (195KB, 750x995px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9332.jpg
195KB, 750x995px
Yes, I'm the same anon who started the university thread last month. But this time, I would like it if you guys were to share experiences on wearing lolita to university or school, typical reactions you get, and what you typically tend to wear to classes. It would help if you specify your major or department, or what kind of school or college you go to.

I'm planning on wearing lolita for the first time tomorrow to my university classes. My uni is a huge state one and there's all kinds of people, plus people already know me as someone who dresses out of the norm, but it still makes me nervous cause I have no idea what to expect. I'm in my second year as an art major btw.
>>
>typical reactions you get
Got compliments/questions, sometimes a passing yelling person if i was off campus, and stares.
probably some secret pics and being made fun off covertly, but nothing that I noticed.
much.
>what you typically tend to wear to classes
as for lolita I used to wear really sweet outfits. even pink wigs sometimes. I never got harassed.
>your major or department, or what kind of school or college
I was liberal arts, at a state school.I live in a pretty liberal state, If that means anything.

I would say start as casual as possible if you are nervous. build up to flasher things when you get more comfortable
>>
I go to a big state uni, majoring in psych. I wear sweet, and sometimes classic. People think it's really cute, and it's a good conversation starter for people to come up to me and ask about what I'm wearing. The professors have talked to me about it and seemed really interested and entertained. Of course, you get some strange stares as to be expected. I haven't had a negative interaction yet, though. Don't get lazy and wear ita coords though. Plan your coord the night before or just don't wear lolita if you don't have time to make it look decent.
>>
>>9601608
>even pink wigs
I just cringed so hard.
>>
>>9601596
I wear a bit of everything; sweet, gothic, classic, ouji, I even mess around in fairy key/menhera.

As a fellow art kid, I've dressed weird in the past and use being an art person as an excuse. It's kind of expected/accepted that people in an art major are going to be a little weird.

I remember telling someone who was curious about my outfit that I was an art major and they replied with, "Ah, that explains it!" and that's typically what most people say after finding it out.

Another thing; people will usually stare/point/laugh/whisper about you more so than they will come up and talk to you. You're gonna have a lot of eyes on you and you'll overhear people talking about how 'weird' you're dressed and then laughing. That's something you just sort of have to get used it, and you eventually will. Usually the people that come up to talk to you are people who like your outfit and want to compliment you.

At least, that's been my experience.
>>
In college I was a med science major at a small college with a college/hospital partnership thing. During lab/clinic whatevers I'd wear the uniform (scrubs, basically) but for classes I'd just wear my normal clothes, which is more like gothic lolita to vary degrees of black peacock fanciness.

My professors didn't give a fuck. My classmates talked about me a lot behind my back. I got called "the goth girl" and never by my name. People did not take me seriously. I really did not care because I was in a competitive program and too busy trying to be #1 to give a damn. I know that sounds really jaded but you're in college to learn a skill set, not to be everybody's pal. Your classmates would throw your ass under a bus to get ahead, don't give them the chance. but also yolo, wear what you like. do what makes you happy.
>>
>>9601612
sorry anon, I was just having fun
>>
>>9601596
You're an art major, you'll be fine. I wore lolita to law school a few times, I got a couple compliments (simple classic coords only) but mostly stares
>>
>>9601609
>Don't get lazy and wear ita coords though
THIS. My uni had a couple lolitas who got so lazy and wore the most disgusting coords, and these weird colored wigs. Honestly, I get that people don't always want to go all out if they're trying to be a daily lolita, but that doesn't excuse being ita. It makes normies think poorly of lolita, and think it's all stupid and ugly.
>>
>>9601596
I'm a computer science major, now graduate student.
People tend to be quirky and non-judgemental, I'm kind of a loner anyways. They tend to be more suprised by the fact that I'm a girl than my clothes. It helps that most people from my class are weebs and since I went to Japan as an exchange student for a year, it's kind of expected that I wear jfashion.
I wear very simple everyday outfits. Simple skirts, cutsews, tights and boots. When it's hotter, I wear light cotton blouses and mary janes. Sometimes I wear solid or floral OPs or JSKs.

I'd say my style is more otome-ish than lolita, that's why I don't stand out that much.
Also, I rarely get comments, unless I wear a hat or my piano bag... I don't really get it to be honest.
>>
>>9601612
A ton of people at my uni have pink hair and other unnatural colours and a surprising amount of normies can't tell wigs from real hair.
>>
>>9601619
>I know that sounds really jaded but you're in college to learn a skill set, not to be everybody's pal.
>tfw the main reason I'm in college and not self-taught or working is because I was bullied all through high school and want a chance to make actual friends, but I self-sabotage by constantly feeling guilty for not being social enough and panic that this is my last chance in adult life to form close intimate friendships
I'm not in the same sort of major as you though, I'm more in a "do any degree that's considered hard and you're sort of interested in so you get onto a graduate scheme" sort of degree.
>>
>>9601648
That sounds like a big ass waste of money you could be spending on brand but you do you anon.
>>
>>9601642
>a surprising amount of normies can't tell wigs from real hair.
anon pls
>>
>>9601653
Can't easily get a job that would support burando in my country without a degree, not in 'Murrica so not in the same levels of debt, and would have been struggled to afford moving away from my unemployment-riddled rural hometown without the money I get for attending uni. I'm doing a respectable STEM degree but it's one of the less employable ones and I don't really feel any passion for it any more desu, but I'm nearly done so it'd be even more of a waste to quit. Forever wishing I'd just taken a year out to get the maths qualification I needed to apply for compsci at a good university (I've always liked tech, the computer science department here is more alt-friendly, and there are advertisements for internships everywhere in the building and loads of people get hired right after graduating) but it wasn't viable for various reasons and it's too late now.

It's a pretty boring, traditional degree without any alt students on my course, so it's extremely out-of-place to wear something like goth or normie vintage, never mind lolita. I tried to dress in casual trendy stuff for the first couple of years because I was desperate not to scare off potential friends by looking like an attention-seeker, but it didn't work so I'm wearing goth more often again and hoping to transition into wearing gothic lolita.
>>
>>9601655
They're absolutely right though. Even at cons I have had normal folks think the wigs I wear are real, even if the length of it goes all the way past my butt.
>>
>>9601692
sure anon whatever you say
>>
>>9601655
>>9601692
I wore not-very-convincing wigs a bunch around 2012/2013 and often got people asking me how I'd dyed or styled my hair like that or what brand of dye I used. It even happened with a twintail wig once, shit was bizarre.
>>
>>9601708
I believe you anon, I had pink hair for years, and for years people seriously asked me if it was natural, do not underestimate the sheer stupidity of normies.

My favorite
>at the supermarket choosing the cheapest pasta per pound
>soccer mom comes next to me
>"is your hair natural? is it really natural?"
>I'm a bit thrown off by her tone
>"it's obviously not natural, but it's my own hair"
>"it has to be natural"
>"ma'am NATURAL PINK HAIR DOES NOT EXIST"
>"sheesh how am I supposed to know!"
>>
>>9601719
>things that definitely happened
>>
Somewhat related, I've considered wearing cosplay to class before. Just for kicks. Nothing really stand-out like armor though. Maybe I'll be braver this upcoming semester and see what happens.
>>
>>9601740
If you ever do, please post pics and reactions. I'd never wear a wig to class so it looks amusing.
>>
>>9601608
ah so this is what its like to be autistic
>>
>classic lolita
>majoring in liberal studies
>wear prints with the same theme as what we're studying
>professors are regularly delighted

it's fun
>>
>>9601753
10/10 use of lolita in the classroom. What sorts of themes were they?
>>
>>9601753
I'm honestly confused, not attacking you. How do you match up prints to themes?
I'm a STEM major and know zero about liberal studies so I can't really imagine how'd that work.
>>
>>9601732
>>9601696
>>9601655
kek, most normies definitely can't tell decent wigs from real hair anon, sorry your wigs have been so shiny and fake that everyone can tell.
>>
>>9601756
NAYRT but I have a JSK from MTP that is Edgar Allan Poe themed, so I wore it during our study of him.
>>
>>9601762
Oh, ok. I can picture that.
Too bad I will never be able to do this since there'll never be a print with circuits or even math.
>>
>>9601768
I don't know if they exist, but perhaps you could get some little pins to place on your stuff? I think that would be a very nice little nod!
>>
>>9601761
sorry i don't wear wigs lad
>>
>>9601768
Also a STEM major, this is the worst feel. Even tech-related normie clothes are ugly in my mind, and usually overpriced for a cheap skirt or pair of leggings.
>>
>>9601753
I need to start wearing my theatre related prints to acting classes, dang
>>
>Environmental science & forest ecology major
>Wear plant-themed prints to labs
>Tear up skirts in the woods
>>
I was planning on wearing Lolita to one of my once a week classes this semester. The trouble is, I'm a poorfag and I only have 10 solid coordinates. how do you guys feel about repeating outfits? Should I just not do it unless I have enough pieces for the entire school year, that it, enough to not repeat? I'm planning on trying to get three more pieces this semester, if that means anything.

tl;dr is it okay to repeat coordinates?
>>
>>9601799
If you're doing it around normies, nobody's really going to care how often you wear your dresses repeatedly.
>>
>>9601799
Have you worn normie outfits repeatedly before? Chances are, yes. This isn't any different.

As long as you're not posting online about your brand new coord when in fact you've only switched one part of it, you'll be fine. Normies won't care.
>>
>>9601755
>>9601756
some of these are a stretch so don't laugh

Gothic architecture
>St. Vitus by Haenuli

Middle ages music
>Mozarabic chant by Krad lanrete

Expeditions around the world 15/16c
>12 constellations by Krad lanrete

Early modern medicine
>Asylum by Violet Fane

Art history
>literally any painting dresses from jetj/eat me ink me

i was fond of prints that draw from historical sources already so this worked out really well. im hoping to be a teacher in the future and have outfits themed to what im teaching that day like Ms. Frizzle
>>
>>9601799
Is it not possible to mix and match your coords? Totally okay to repeat outfits but just for growing your wardrobe it helps to be able to make more than one outfit per dress
>>
>>9601771
sure you don't anon, it's okay, no need to be ashamed.
>>
>>9601740
I've thought about it too, but I'm not brave enough. I might wear something simple to class for Halloween though, like maybe a Pokémon trainer.
>>
>>9601768
Ada Lovelace print when???
>>
>>9601851
You're adorable, anon!
Never listen to anyone telling you otherwise!
>>
>>9601867
Seconding this. Just take my money!
>>
>>9601856
sorry my hair is naturally beautiful and don't have the need to wear wigs love
>>
>>9601768
Cellbio anon here, I'm still holding out for a microscope print. Old school microscopes are aesthetic as heck.
>in the meantime I wear Meta's Secret Laboratory sometimes and pretend my lab had cute cats and books instead of being a sterile plain white

>>9601867
yessss
>>
i go to a large state university in a conservative area. i've always cared more about the reactions of the professors than other students, so i try to establish myself as a hard worker before wearing anything too outlandish. i'm in the engineering program and most of the professors are pretty straight-laced so it feels important to me to build a little rapport. from what i've experienced, most students are too busy going about their own business to bother with how you dress. the more outgoing ones have shouted compliments at me or approached me when i wasn't busy to ask questions, but nothing bad has happened.

also, probably my best campus story:
>be me, pastel vomit sweet lolita
>exiting the library
>start walking down the steps
>old man wearing a cape is on his way into the building
>we both stop
>"i like your cape."
>"i like your bow."
>we part ways among confused onlookers

still don't know why he was wearing a cape, but considering what i was wearing i shouldn't question his fashion decisions
>>
File: noonecaresaboutyourhairjuststfu.gif (616KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
noonecaresaboutyourhairjuststfu.gif
616KB, 500x336px
>>9601901
>>
>>9601679
I support you anon, i hope you meet good friends. Also from my experience, it's good to make a strong first impression. I didn't have to say a word back then, people came and talked to me and i made friends with half of my class. I used to wear casual gothic b.t.w.
>>9601851
Holy crap i love you
>>9601799
'course it's okay. It would make all the efforts to the get it futile otherwise.
>>
>>9601799
Honestly, if you're wearing it around normies you'll probably look less weird if you repeat and mix-and-match stuff just like you would with ordinary clothes. Otherwise people tend to assume stuff comes in a set, and outfits that were all bought to be worn together are usually costumes in normie eyes. Don't wear the same dress two or three times in a row so it looks like you only have one dress or anything, since that also looks like you keep just wearing a weird costume, but if you repeat them a few wears apart nobody will care.

Word of warning with this though, some normies are really unobservant. Last time I was on holiday someone at the hotel I stayed at thought I wore the same outfit three days in a row, when they were actually different outfits with different dresses in the same colour scheme. There was also some lolita YouTuber (don't remember which) who I remember saying someone came up to her after class one day to ask why she'd been wearing "the same dress" all year.
>>
File: B39OJ235-p.jpg (88KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
B39OJ235-p.jpg
88KB, 480x640px
>>9601596
>reactions
Occasional stares, sometimes compliments. I'm sure people are judging and that's fine, but nobody has ever said anything bad directly to me. My current favorite prof originally talked to me because she found my lolita outfits super adorable, and I ended up doing a research project for her with one of my friends.
>outfit for classes
Classic or classic/sweet hybrid, toned down. That's probably why I have yet to get any extreme reactions at school.
>major and school
My school just has pharmacy, so it's pretty small in comparison to most colleges. There's approximately 240 people in my class.
...I kind of wanted AP's Fancy Hospital for the cute little pills and vitamins, but it's not really my style. Perhaps BTSSB's Florence Medicine Chest someday.
>>
>>9602051
>someone came up to her after class one day to ask why she'd been wearing "the same dress" all year.
When it was actually a coat. I know who you're talking about, haha.
>>
File: IMG_2899.jpg (51KB, 377x317px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2899.jpg
51KB, 377x317px
>>9602062
I am pharmacy too! What year are you anon? I will be entering my second professional year.
>reactions
Many people have been very sweet coming up to me and telling me they like my outfit/hair/shoes. Unfortunately there are some rude people as well who posted pictures of my back to an Instagram making fun of strange fashion at my college... except the other submissions were things like wearing pajamas out in public. It really upset me at the time but now I see it as just a minor annoyance. You can't make someone understand. Professors are too busy one way or another but they always recognize me.
>outfits
Not strictly lolita, sometimes yumetenbo or amavel dresses. I don't wear wigs. My style tries to capture that "village girl in a fairy tail" look with non-print dresses and lace-up boots or Mary Janes. In the winter I have a big red Lolita coat with fluffy bear earmuffs which I wear almost every day.
>school and major
Pharmacy at a medium state school in the US. Wearing anything besides no-effort sweatpants or Instagram fashion will label you as a weirdo for people to point and whisper. Even people within the small class of my major (120) were laughing about me on Instagram... personally I just want to get along with the people in my major but if they are going to be like that then whatever.
>>
File: maryanning.jpg (228KB, 418x480px) Image search: [Google]
maryanning.jpg
228KB, 418x480px
>>9601867
>>9601880
>>9601903
I'm just going to suggest this nonstop to every indie brand I know till someone makes this.
I really wish someone would make a Mary Anning print as well.
>>
Is there a group or a tag you can find more everyday coordinates? I don't think CoF is appropriate for those.
>>
>>9601708
This, I wore this pink BL wig to classes once when I was a baby weeb and some autist didn't believe it was a wig to the point of straight up yanking on it (and thereby pulling it off-center and messing up my pinning, which I had to fix). It seemed extra stupid at the time because my natural hair was cut short, but people who thought it was real said they thought I might have gotten extensions (???). Normies are aggressively ignorant of anything they don't encounter daily.
>>
>>9601779
I hope it works out for you. Theatre was a surprisingly physically intensive program, especially for acting and production majors. Most people I knew showed up in class in sweats because of classes like movement and stage combat, and then labs and practicum.

It's certainly fine for lecture classes, but those are far and few, especially if you're a freshman and sophomore , and you'd probably have to prepare to be in comfortable clothes right after.
I don't recommend Lolita for auditions either. You'd want to look professional and/or have something comfortable for musical auditions.

For your sake, when you are able to wear lolita in class, I hope you'll have a Shakespeare themed print to coord

>t.theatre major
>>
>>9602091
First professional year! I get my white coat in a week, I'm really excited.
>>
OP here, I dressed up today and here's my experience:

>lots of stares
>some people laughed but those were rare
>got some compliments
>some people in my classes recognized it as lolita fashion
>professors didn't give a fuck

I did get someone screaming "FRESHMAN" in my face which is odd cause I'm a sophomore and I'm pretty sure a freshman wouldn't wear outlandish clothes on their first week, but otherwise it was a good day and I would do again.
>>
>>9601740
A couple of kids do that weekly at my uni. It's cringey and the cosplays are awful.
>>
>>9603168
THis. Pls dont
>>
>>9601679
Are you in the UK? I'm also doing a STEM degree after switching from medicine. Actually love science but wearing even the most toned done coords gets me side-eyed, and my supervisor told me to 'be careful where I dress up' as the uniform in my department is 'jeans-tshirt-hungover-kei'.
>>
>>9602244
Oh my god please
Anthropology major and archeology minor here. I'd kill for this.
>>
>>9602622
ELFS is alright. Itas post there quite a bit though. Some girls will post daily stuff on Instagram but other than that, nothing I can think of, I wish I could help.
>>
>>9603376
ntaryt but snap. Hoodies and jeans everywhere, small minority of people in athleisure leggings and shitor gap yah hippy stuff who look down on fashion as materialistic. I swear non-tech STEM subjects are the most boring dressers on campus, and people are really judgy about anything they deem frivolous. I hate it.

wish I'd done history, eng lit or compsci desu.
>>
>>9603398
>>9603376
Compsci is not any better, everyone is a fucking slob. Even a plain normie skirt is too much.
>>
>>9601768
>>9601778
If you're crafty, the material is available. Maybe there's even room for a math-themed indie brand if you feel entreprenurial.

https://www.spoonflower.com/tags/math
https://www.fabric.com/find?SearchText=math
https://www.ethelbird.com/science-math/
>tfw no periodic table print with the newest discovered elements
>>
>>9603376
Nayrt but as another STEManon on the continent, this sounds super familiar. Basically anything other than jeans and a t-shirt (or jeans and a button-up if you're higher up) gets side-eyed. People got used to me dressing ~*weird*~ but only after months of questions about whose wedding I was going to after work whenever I wore anything with a skirt or >1" heels. One time a guy commented that my clothes were unprofessional. I was wearing a dress with embroidery but no hanging lace or ribbons, no petticoat, normie cardigan, black tights and sensible shoes. He was wearing ripped jeans, sandals and a graphic tee. Even if what I was wearing was unprofessional, who'd notice? I spent all of that day locked away in the viruslab with a lab coat on. Those cell cultures won't care.
I experience very little sexism in this field otherwise but the "feminine clothing is automatically unprofessional and bad" is pretty blatant. When I was still a student and was getting appraised constantly I made sure to dress down even more because I didn't want some prejudiced professor to underrate my performance due to unprofessional skirt-wearing. People on here keep saying that as long as you work hard enough people won't judge you on your fashion choices, but that's not always true.
>>
>>9603387
Yeah, I wish there was a tag since "daily lolita" is not really an option. Maybe "everyday lolita"?
>>
>>9603403
I did some compsci at university and it was a lot better overall, barring the fact that the classes are full of dudes and filtering out the sexist alt-right edgelords is kind of exhausting. From my experience in societies, a lot of the geeks and weebs are doing subjects like that instead of mine,and they seem okay-ish with alt fashion in general. Girly stuff doesn't go over well but it doesn't go down well in practical/traditional sciences either, but goth or vaguely futuristic stuff was no big deal at all.

I think there was anon saying in another one of these threads that because people were already reacting slightly weirdly to her because she was a girl, being girly wasn't too much more of a stretch, and that was kind of my experience. It can be awful because a lot of the guys on these courses only know other guys doing the same subject, or are autists who can't into social norms anyway, but in some ways that's kind of a benefit because a lot of them can't tell the difference between mainstream trendy stuff and non-lolita jfash because they find it all equally confusing and intimidating.

>>9603415
>People on here keep saying that as long as you work hard enough people won't judge you on your fashion choices, but that's not always true.
100% agree. When you're relying on professors opinions' of you for part of a grade it's really stressful.
>>
>>9601679
>>9603376
>>9603398
>>9603403
>>9603415
>>9603512
Feeling so close to these posts right now.
>>
File: evil in its eyes.jpg (104KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
evil in its eyes.jpg
104KB, 960x960px
>>9601596
Mfw college is for learning and not a fucking fashion show.
>>
>>9601596
I wore comfy gothic lolita (jsk, cardigan/cutsew, flat platforms, no wig) to class once a week or so, and simple EGA or goth clothes on the other days.

I was already the lone goth in the biochem program at my uni so nobody really commented on my outfits to my face. A lot of students assumed I was weird or stupid (I overheard a lot of rude comments) until we actually worked together. People were more avoidant than curious. My profs didn't give a shit. My uni had a huge fashion program and it's in a very big liberal city so they were pretty used to seeing unusual fashion on campus.

>>9603785
College is the last chance most people get to wear alternative fashion every day. You sound like the type of student who went to class in pajamas.
>>
>>9603785
baito desu but if I'm paying thousands of dollarss to go to school I'm going to wear whatever weird shit I want
>>
>>9603785

If they're going to class that's a step above 80% of people in state school.
>>
>>9603785
Shut up, you're not even my real dad!
>>
>>9603832
>tfw didn't wear lolita to university because I didn't go to class
>>
File: How you look like.jpg (18KB, 337x519px) Image search: [Google]
How you look like.jpg
18KB, 337x519px
>>9603813
Indeed, but there are a myriad of things to worry about in school versus thinking about what you are wearing, especially when it comes to alternative fashion. To each their own, I know, but this is a topic I see all too often and really over it.

>>9603809
Actually, I used to be heavily into Gothic fashion in high school and quit that shit first day of college and haven't looked back since. Jeans, t-shirts and blouses for me anon. You sound like the type of person who gets butt hurt when normies make you feel like you need to go to 4chan to validate wearing alternative fashion in a college setting.
>>
File: Lil'_Pound_Cake.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Lil'_Pound_Cake.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>>9603835
>>
>>9603851
Goth is pretty socially acceptable most places and can absolutely be done with jeans and T-shirts, what?
>>
File: 20160430_9fa59f.jpg (27KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
20160430_9fa59f.jpg
27KB, 400x533px
If I barely turned up to class for the first two years of my degree and didn't make any friends in my major, is it a good idea or a bad idea to start wearing alternative fashion to class when I start the new year and try to turn my life around and start attending everything?

On the plus side, virtually nobody knows who I am, so it's almost like having a fresh start, so I feel more able to introduce myself as alt with new people instead of easing into it like I would if I was already well-known. On the downside, the handful of people that do recognise me (from compulsory labs and group projects) know me entirely as that girl who is perpetually late and is never at lectures, so seeing me suddenly dress up will probably not improve their impression of me. Worst case scenario I'm wrong about nobody knowing me and actually nearly everybody in the current cohort recognises me by sight, so I won't get a fresh start at all.

I also feel like it'd go over better if I picked one core aesthetic and stuck to it, since then people'd be like "oh, she's just goth", but that makes me feel pigeonholed. I'm used to wearing a few different styles and would get bored only wearing one, but I suspect people think not sticking to one is immature by the time you're in your 20s. I wish I knew how likely people are to make new friends now classes have been reshuffled, since if most friendship groups were already established two years ago and are hard to break into there's honestly not that much point me worrying about acceptability and I might as well embrace that lonelita lifestyle and not give a fuck.
>>
>>9603910
Bro, just wear what you want and nevermind everyone else. Chances are, you'll never see those people again after those few months of attending school. I guarantee that after your time in college, it won't matter.
>>
>>9601596
I majored in history and sociology. I usually wore normie clothes, but I wore lolita a few times on campus for events. The strangers on campus who did talk to me only had nice things to say. They're either well-intentioned normies saying I look nice or people who are at least a little familiar with J-fashion. I avoided being seen by friends who didn't know I was weeby, so no reactions from them to speak of. I think college students generally are tolerant or don't give a fuck. A dude used to walk around in gothic playing music from a speaker he carried, so we had all kinds of characters.

I remember at my artsy magnet high school, there was a girl who dressed in lolita (I didn't know it was called that at the time) on a daily basis. We referred to her as the girl who looked like a doll and had 'octopus' hair, which I guess is known as the Snooki poof after a cursory Google search. We weren't making fun of her and afaik no one else did either, we only talked about her ourselves because she was a friend of a friend and she came up in our gossiping sometimes. I think she majored in Visual Arts, and it was sort of a stereotype that the weird-dressed ones were the Visual Arts majors. I also remember asking another Visual Arts major girl about her military-style jacket, and she told me she got it from Bodyline. People were still judgy teenagers at my school, but not about how people dressed.

When I think about it, I guess artsy/liberal schools are probably the best place to get positive reactions from normies.
>>
>>9603923
My degree is four years, I have to work with these people for the next two years, including some group projects with peer evaluation that form a small part of my final grade. That's why I'm a little worried. I haven't actually checked the breakdown of final year assessment but I've heard from older students that the good opinion of the professors is very important as well.

I wore what I want a little in first year (except lolita) because class sizes were huge, I was taking a bunch of different modules and I rarely saw the same people twice, but I definitely think how much I was changing my style it came across as slightly weird to the few people I saw a lot. I think people accept it more if you're wearing, say, goth 100% of the time than if you wear goth 20% of the time and also sometimes wear pastels it just makes them confused.
>>
>>9603910
Wear it. At least stand out for something you love. I stood out a bit because I got around campus on my roller blades after my bike got stolen, and I'd bring them into class to set under my desk. Not as weird as my professor who used a kick scooter between class, but it was nice because people would use it as an ice-breaker.

I was that student too, always late, though I didn't realize until I walked into a lab one day and the grad student teaching the class said "Oh, I was about to harass you for not being on time because I just saw you walking earlier!" And my lab partner informed me it was because I was regularly late and it was kind of a joke for them to guess how many minutes late I'd be. I got an A in the class still because the grad student didn't give a fuck and I did my work. In other classes where I was late, it didn't fly as well, but don't assume people hate you. A loooot of students do it, and not just the low-achieving ones.
>>
>>9601740
A guy at my school cosplayed Guts and Thor every damn week.

>>9601596
I wear lolita a few times a month. I'm doing music and bio at a small public liberal arts school, and I typically wear old school. My style is pretty toned down to begin with, so I typically just go with reduced poof skirts, cutsews, Mary Janes, and a simple headbow.
People like it. At an offbeat school like mine, its a completely neutral way to earn attention from professors and get a reputation on campus. The service workers are particularly chagrined.

>>9603785
B8/10
If you can't learn wearing fancy clothes, you're better off staying home to work at a diner. What better time to be weird and experiment than university?
>>
I wear lolita (and other jfashion) to class at least once a week. I major in history. There's a Jehovah witness in my classes that calls me Strawberry Shortcake (behind my back of course)
Also, what's the name of the dress in the OP ?
>>
>>9603851
Fashion is a hobby, and as much as you only really focus on it during your free time there's no helping but wearing it during other more important activities, there's no point if they're not your everyday (or most-of-the-time) clothes too, because what the fuck kind of person who's into fashion are you if you don't wear the clothes? It's not about "worrying about what you're wearing" when it comes down to it, because that phrase is more about what others think about it and if you're in it for the creativity/fun, it doesn't matter.

We ask about it because lolita brings a lot of attention and you might get harassed for it. And if you're there for learning, who cares about what others wear? Let them make it a fashion show if they like, if you're so focused on this "myriad of other things" you shouldnt be paying attention anyway.

Sage for biting
>>
>>9601905
the onlookers thought you were wizards.
>>
>>9604277
Agreed, also adding (because I don't want to give baiter another (You)) that yeah, wearing lolita to class is a little extra because no matter how casual it does take time to get ready in, but saying all alternative fashions mean you're focusing on that instead of your work is ridiculous. Once you already own the clothes, throwing on a pastel skirt, sweater and flatform sneakers takes no longer than putting on a regular skirt, sweater and sneakers. After a certain point, it takes more effrot to dress down as I'd have to consciously avoid the majority of my my clothes instead of putting on whatever and knowing it'll match because my wardrobe has a cohesive aesthetic.
>>
>>9604291
I don't really wear pastels, but I feel the same. I barely have pants in my wardrobe anymore, everything that I buy is at least casual cute, so it's harder to dress "normal" than it is to do something Jfashion-y.
I do always try to dress more formal when I'm presenting seminaries and such, for example.
>>
I'm taking a semester off of college to take a few non transferring courses as a non degree seeking student at a college close to home so I can improve my skills so I can actually build a portfolio.
My old college was purely an art school with no greek life, an urban campus, and hardly any sports. Dressing weird was either ignored or praised there. My new college is a normie school with sororities and a big football team and a real campus and shit. I'm nervous about wearing lolita or even more casual j-fashion to it
>>
>>9604291

Going to add to you for the same reason, lol. This argument all seems silly to me because in the end it's not an issue of "you could be studying at 7 am instead of dressing up to go to class!" It's an issue of time management. There are going to be sloppily dressed people who can't time manage correctly even as they don't spend time on picking clothing everyday, and there are going to be people who plan their studying as carefully as their clothing. Of course it is a spectrum of people and not everyone is going to fit that, but what I'm saying is that how much you want to dress up in college should have no bearing on how much you're studying so much as it should be a question of time management.
>>
File: 1503936470859.jpg (85KB, 690x1042px) Image search: [Google]
1503936470859.jpg
85KB, 690x1042px
>>9601768
>>9601778
CompSci anons, I'm not entirely sure if any of this is real or accurate but there's a code themed dress being put out by the taobao brand Belle Langue
>>
>>9612511
I need this in my life

Are there any biology/anatomy themed dresses apart from Violet Fane's Asylum and AatP's Psyche the Doctor and the Eternal Sunshine?
>>
>>9612511
It's not very accurate, but I want it anyways. It's so much more tasteful than I thought this concept could be, I'm genuinely impressed.
>>
>>9609659
>caring about what normies think
>>
>>9612511
Reminds me of the maths dress from a few years ago. Super ugly but I cant help but love it
>>
Little bump for more experiences, especially in european countries.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.