[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Horrible/Cringey Panel Experiences/Stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: 1501639588719.png (469KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1501639588719.png
469KB, 1280x1280px
Pic unrelated. Here's my cringey panel story.
>Colossalcon 2015
>Homestuck panel
>Was doing Q&A
>This one cosplayer was cosplaying as their troll OC
>Said that their OC had a song for the Trolls
>She starts singing before the host can say "please don't"
>Song goes on for 4 minutes
>She finishes, everyone awkwardly claps
Do you guys have any cringey or awkward panel stories or experiences that you would like to share?
>>
Went to an "introduction to idolm@ster" panel where the original panelists had to bail and instead of cancelling, just had one of their friends run it. This friend knew literally nothing about im@s and was just reading from the powerpoint they left him.

Went to a "kpop dance party" panel hoping to learn a few songs or whatever, there were about 10 people standing around watching the host dance. She set up a random playlist that would play part of a kpop song for about 20 seconds then switch to another one, and she was the only one who knew all the dances. Everyone else was just kind of watching and jumping in once in a while when they knew a song.

Went to a dance performance panel where the sound system in the panel room was 100% staticy garbage so there couldn't be any music. The group basically went "well fuck, guess there's no dance panel today, you guys don't have to stick around but we're gonna stay in here" and proceeded to fill their panel with funny stories, comedic acts, and just chatting with the audience. Most people actually stayed for the whole thing because they were really funny and good entertainers, so it worked out well. But it sucks that they prepared all their dances and then couldn't perform.
>>
Any anime trivia panel where somehow the people who volunteer don't know jack shit. Seems like every time I go to one of these there's at least one contestant who is stumped on questions like "Name one of the cats in Sailor Moon" or answers with the names of Game of Thrones characters.
>>
The first year of Silicon Valley Comic Con, Jeremy Renner was one of the guests. My friends didn't tell me specifics, but one wanted to die, one was indifferent, and one was absolutely delighted that the panel was awful because people asked a bunch of extremely cringey fandom questions.

I feel like it's a little extra cringey when it's like hollywood celebs but at this point they've got to be used to it or at least know what to expect.
>>
>>9592045
This reminds me when there were a k-pop "battle" dance show in a con. Two groups and maybe one person on each group knew the steps. It was so cringey and off-sync I left middle of it.
>>
>>9592022
I had a Terezi insist on singing Troll Cops and then a fucking Nepeta singing Blue Lips during the 1 HS panel I was in. Ate up a lot of our fucking time.
>>
File: IMG_9076.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9076.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
can we bend this to a "what not to do for a panel"-ish thread? been thinking about hosting a panel but i want it to be community involved and every time i read horror panel stories i get discouraged.
>>
>>9592559
pic related, this panel was great (a CAH panel between some of my at-the-time favorite youtubers) and a panel where you laugh almost the entire time is the best.
>>
>>9592559
In other threads people have broken down the panel types, which generally comes down to 4 types with variation.

>Informational Panels
>Entertainment Panels
>My Experience in X Panels
>Fan Panels

If you want to run an informational panel, remember to give people LINKS to more information. People who attend these panels are looking for a jump-off point to get started. Don't bog these down with things that you made/worked on.

Entertainment panels are driven by the personality of the people presenting the panel. Whether if you're doing a game show of some kind, or a dance routine, the goal is to make it so the audience isn't bored.

My Experience in X is generally reserved for guests of the con running panels. These are only interesting to people who care about the presenter and what they do.

Fan panels are always going to have some cringe, so make sure the majority of it isn't the presenter. If your cosplay group really wants to do an ask panel, make sure your costumes are a step above average. I can't stand fandom panels where all the cosplay on stage look like hot garbage when the people in the audience have much better costumes. Actually, if you want to wear a costume while presenting ANY panel, make sure it looks good. There's no excuse to get up in front of a group and present a panel wearing a shitty costume.
>>
File: IMG_0276.gif (2MB, 320x262px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0276.gif
2MB, 320x262px
Oh boy, it wasn't the whole panel necessarily but a particular moment
>Go to CtCon, present year
>Panel dedicated to geeking out about space
>Panelists are great, fielding question
>One guy stands up
>"You know how people don't believe in specific religions, but still respect them"
>ohno
>"What about people who believe that they have been visited by aliens"
>Proceeds to ramble on about being abducted by aliens and how those people ~may~ be right
>Panelists extremely uncomfortable
>Everyone in the room uncomfortable
>Finally finishes alien manifesto
>Panelists basically (more politely) respond "what the fuck are you talking about"
>abduction-kin continues to defend his alien encounter

I thought rednecks didn't exist in New England
>>
>>9592365
I am suddenly reminded of Alternicon's opening ceremonies

>Staff is going over the usual stuff, guest names, etc, but they are blowing through everything SUPER fast.
>Somehow manage to mispronounce every single guest and finish after 5 minutes
>The two male staffers in charge are clearly confused as to what to do with the remainder of the hour and begin making inside jokes amongst themselves / doing impressions. They clearly envision themselves as entertainers and are oblivious to how uncomfortable the audience is.
>Poor female staffer next to them is constantly trying to bring up points that they missed like the masquerade, first aid station, programming. But the chair and VC keep redirecting back to shitty jokes
>At one point the con chair challenges a Link cosplayer in the audience to a rap battle
>Head staffer gets staff to actually set up music so that he can perform. >Lays down a painfully uncomfortable anime rap
>Link cosplayer goes up on stage and is clearly uncomfortable with the fact that this is happening
>Has no idea what to do and starts yelling "HIYA!" over and over again for the thirty minutes of beat that they play
>Head staffer has them repeat for verse two
>This lasts an hour
>>
>>9592562
>a panel where you laugh almost the entire time is the best
This. No matter your topic, if you are funny you will always get extra points.
>>
>panel at a comic con with show runners/voice actors for some Batman animated show
>the panelists take questions at the end
>a completely stereotypical neckbeard fan comes up and starts asking a longwinded question about Catwoman, where it becomes clear that he's saying that she has a festish where she gets off to stealing shit? Citing medical journals and everything.
>the host is desperately trying to take the mic away but the dude isn't taking a hint (there are a fair amount of kids in the audience)
>showrunner tells him that Catwoman is a complex character and he's glad the show has enthusiastic fans
>the dude is unceremoniously shuffled away

I just cannot imagine what would possess anyone to ask a question like that to ANYONE EVER, let alone the creator of a thing you like.
>>
File: IMAG1258.jpg (3MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1258.jpg
3MB, 5376x3024px
>Sabakon Vegas 2016 or some shit
>Pokemon Cosplay Competition
>First person up is a fat blob in a Gengar t-shirt or some shit that was turbo lazy
>after some pity claps, she jumps off the stage while dabbing
>breaks her leg
>the judges immediately tell people to leave and the competition is over
>Amberlamps shows up later

I was just there to play MGS in peace.
>>
I'd say we were both cringey
>Be 14 circa 2009
>Go to a London expo
>Entire floor stinks of BO
>Walking around in the waft
>Some rando comes up to me
>'Do you watch hentai'
>[Insert awkward conversation about jacking it to the 2d]
>ends with him giving out his e-mail address
This was back in the day where people still used e-mail instant messenger
>says he's in competition with his friend
I can't really remember the rest, but I'm sure it was good
>>
File: Disappoint Jones.jpg (32KB, 600x545px) Image search: [Google]
Disappoint Jones.jpg
32KB, 600x545px
>>9592744
>Sabakon Vegas 2016
>In the middle of Pokemon Go phenomenon
>Three consecutive panels for each team
>Duck into the last panel to escape heat from AA
>Empty ass room cause no one likes yellow team
>Panelists run out of ideas ten minutes in
>Have an hour left to kill
>DABBING CONTEST!
>A small line forms at the stage
>Some shitty pop hit plays in background
>First constant goes up
>Everyone at the edge of their seats
>Time to fucking dab
>They leap off the stage
>Half heatedly throw a pathetic dab
>Thump
>They hit the floor
>Music stops, everyone in shock
>No body talks as convention staff ushers us out

mfw a girl died by jumping off a two foot stage while dabbing
>>
File: 1502296667133.jpg (120KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1502296667133.jpg
120KB, 500x667px
Went to Anime Boston this year and really hot girls sat next to me, i smelled like absolute BO cuz I ran to the panel, they all moved away and stood against the wall...
>>
>>9592783
>smelled like BO

that's your own damn fault, dude. Take a shower every day and wear deoderant. "I dont need deoderant" is bullshit.
>>
>>9592022
>>9592426
Hussie taking the money and running was the best thing he did since Problem Sleuth
>>
>>9592587
I like this panel breakdown.
I construct panels on a series (manga/anime/game) but explore a particular theme or subject in it. I never thought to include links and works for citation.
>>
>>9592818
if you're referring to the game thing, he didnt take the money. the dev team did. They used it to make that Kings Quest remake and I'm p sure there was a legal battle and he was hella upset about it
>>
>>9592827
As long as some idiot lost several Gs just to have his OC show up for a single panel, I'm happy. Besides, the new King's Quest was great, so it's money well spent.
>>
>>9592783
How do you smell like BO just from running to a panel?
>>
>>9592856
Block out that name man

obvious vendetta is obvious
>>
>>9592562
>Game Grumps
>funny
You must be 18 to post on this site
>>
>>9592921
You know humor is subjective, right? I'm not that anon, but when I'm tired and looking for some dumb humor I'll watch the grumps.
>>
>>9592588
>thinks rednecks don't exist in new england
holy shit friendo have you ever been outside the cities? NH and Vermont are just the South with snow, Rural MA might as well be the South, down to literal confederate flags, I mean look at the Governor of Maine
>>
>>9592938
NH is the Arkansas of the north, I thought everyone knew that.
>>
>informative panel scheduled at the same time as the big cosplay competition
>audience of 3 people
>projector and mic won't start
>powerpoint won't launch
>get stressed out and fuck up the first few minutes
>chick in the audience interrupts after ten minutes because "is this going to take long?!"
>wrap up ~50 minute panel in 20 minutes
>audience stares, don't move even as I pack up
>>
>>9592045
What con for the the IM@S one? And is there any video of it?
>>
>>9592921
i'm anon who posted, and if you have a basic level of reading, you'll see i said my "at-the-time" favorite youtubers. this was RTX 2014.
>>9592936
i just can't get into them the way i used to. i watch more oneyplays now because the humor is darker and way more unfiltered and chris' voice is a gift from God
>>
File: 108.jpg (384KB, 450x2520px) Image search: [Google]
108.jpg
384KB, 450x2520px
What are some panel ideas? I need to practice public speaking for work.

What is the hole in your life you wish for a panel to fill
>>
>>9592752
Literally died? Googling sabakon vegas death brings up nothing
>>
>>9593287
Years ago I went to a panel on guilty pleasures, everyone got a chance to say their anime/cartoon one, we'd all discuss it, it was a fantastic time.

There was a similar one a few years later with "the worst anime you've ever seen" which was a lot of fun too.

Basically, discussion panels that get the entire audience involved.
>>
>>9593288
Anon is exaggerating. The girl just broke her leg.
>>
>>9592740
autism
>>
>>9592588
>no rednecks in NE

Bet you don't know about places like Agawam in MA are quite common outside of the big cities
>>
File: IMG_7447.png (21KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7447.png
21KB, 700x700px
>Anime Midwest 2017
>At a Billy West panel.
>before the q&a he starts by talking about how he got into voice acting, the stuff he's done, etc
>time for q&a
>guy stands up and says something to the effect of "You said you did this, but /actually/ in your Wikipedia page it says..."
>this guy just actually'd Billy West.
>entire room cringes
>>
>>9593222
Shuto Con, and probably not. It was a loooong time ago and there want 2a very big audience.
>>
>>9593309
I completely missed that. I wanted to see how'd they'd explain that in the news/obituary
>>
>decide to go to a themed muder mystery panel, murder mysteries are my thing and I was excited because I wasn't sure of how this would play out in a panel
>friend going with me is uninterested in murder mysteries and the theme but we agreed to choose one thing each
>cosplaying from the theme of the panel
>go to the panel room a little early and wait around a bit for the previous panel to finish
>waiting for a while because the previous panel was running late but a little disappointed to not see a big turn out
>goes towards the only group nearby I see that's cosplaying from the same thing, figured to check if I'm at the right place and to try to make some new friends
>they let me know that they are the panelists and that I'm in the right place but the previous panel is running late
>I try to continue the conversation casually but was quickly dismissed and told to basically wait "over there" away from them
>shocked that I was treated so rudely from fellow cosplayers and fans
>friend with me is getting impatient that we are wasting time waiting around so she gives multiple strongly hinted comments that we should leave
>after being brushed off by the panelists I agree to leave with my friend seeing that the previous panel had still not started to empty out yet
>>
>"Korean romance dramas on feminist viewpoint"
>Rants how Koreans see romance in a different (wrong) way than westerns
>Rants about wristgrips, pushing against wall, etc because they make female helpless and take away their freedom (wtf)
>One series she went through wasn't even romance-main, it was just little on the side
>"Oh, I didn't watch this till the end, I stopped halfway through"
>I still sat through it, cringe was real
>Decide to never go to any other feminist panels
>>
>>9595363
They were probably still discussing the content/plan for the panel and didn't want you to overhear spoilers.
>>
>>9595363
From the panels I've done you're stressed till it starts, especially if things are already running late on you. They were probably talking over the game plan.
Also just because you're dressed from the same series doesn't mean everyone wants to talk to you.

>>9595363
How did you think anything that screams tumblr isn't going to be horrible?
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.