[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a point where you're too old to be cosplaying young

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 1456441-allout.jpg (135KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1456441-allout.jpg
135KB, 800x600px
Is there a point where you're too old to be cosplaying young characters? I recently got into Persona, but I'm 30 and the characters are 15-17. I thought of being one of the Personas instead of one of the kids, but that's a LOT of time and money to wear an extremely uncomfortable costume when I like the characters and their outfits more.
>>
Go play Persona 5 there's more cool older characters to choose from
>>
You've got a choice: you can wear the costume you want but look too old for it, or you can wear a costume you're not too enthusiastic about for a character who is your age.

There is no right or wrong answer. Just have some sense of self awareness. No amount of internet asspats is going to make you look younger so the choice is ultimately up to you: Accuracy or a design you like?
>>
>>9580272
I did play Persona 5. Sae and Takemi are just wearing street clothes, really. There's no real design there. Unless I was ShadowSae which would be... bold...
>>
>>9580265
you should be wanting to cosplay as someone that looks similar to you so you can make it look as good and accurate as possible.

if you still have a baby face, go for it. if not, cosplay someone else.
>>
>>9580265
Last anime con I was at I saw plenty of Love Live cosplayers that were well over 25 cosplaying as 15 y/o girls. Many cosplayers choose characters to show that they're a fan of a series in which case accuracy is not the key thing they're going for. If you're just trying to get attention from randos, you might want to stick to more well known characters that you can easily pull off. The real question isn't if you CAN do it, it's is that what you want to do?
>>
>>9580272
Persona 2 has plenty of older characters too
>>
What does cosplay mean to you? Accuracy? Likes on your fanpage? Or just having fun dressed up as your favorite character?

If it's the first, go for the character you think will suit you the most, even if it isn't your favorite.
If it's the second... well, just do the most popular character at the moment.
But if it's the third, just cosplay as the character you like the most, and have as much fun as you can while making the costume and wearing it. As long as you are happy with it, you shouldn't care about people's opinion on the internet, because if you do cosplay for fun, the only opinion that matters is yours and yours alone.
>>
I turned 30 this year and I'm going to cosplay Ann Takamaki for an upcoming convention. I don't give a heck if someone thinks I'm too old to cosplay a character that's in their teens.
>>
>>9580831
I was actually thinking that if being Haru made me uncomfortable I could be Carmen instead
>>
File: file.png (592KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
592KB, 750x500px
>>9580265
It seems to be acceptable now for land whales to cosplay Lara Croft and other skinny vidya/anime girls so I dont see why older people shouldnt be able to cosplay young characters.
>>
>>9580265
as long as you're having fun it doesn't matter

being able to pull it off is just a bonus
>>
>>9581150
I refuse to believe this is actually how most of cgl feels on the matter
>>
I'm over 30 and I still Cosplay teens. I don't give a fuck. That's what I want to make so that's what I'm going to wear.
>>
>>9582927
Can't speak for everyone else, but that's always been the stance. Do whatever you want, have fun. Don't automatically expect back pats and flattery like the typical drama magnet, and don't get mad if you get posted on a fails thread.
>>
>>9580342
Don't forget Kawakami, too.
>>
Honestly some of the best teenage characters I've seen have been cosplayed by people in their late 20's, pushing 30.

The quality of the cosplay is a big deal.
>>
This thread just made me reflect on my life. When did cosplay become about pulling a character off and not just cosplay a character you liked? Why does every cosplay have to be perfect? What's wrong with just having fun? I want to go back to the good old days.
>>
It really depends on what you're going for, as the other anons mentioned. Unless it's your job to look and dress as a certain character, do whatever you want. I do it as an homage to the characters I like and because I like to pattern and sew garments. I'm just over 30 and still cosplay teen characters. I do take care of my skin, am careful with makeup and hair/wigs, and create cosplay to the best of my ability (I'm also much better now with construction now than I was at 16). That being said, I know I won't look exactly like the character, especially because I have darker skin, but I really enjoy dressing up with my friends and showing my appreciation for the character. I think at the end of the day, that's all that matters really.

I agree with >>9586464 that it's sad when people get caught up in only cosplaying characters they look like, or are similar in age to. It sounds like a bunch of salty people getting needlessly protective over the hobby and trying to 'own' it.
>>
>>9580265
>Is there a point where you're too old to be cosplaying?
>but I'm 30
>So i'm literally a broken old hag

FTFY
>>
I cosplayed Yukari from P3 last year and I was 28. The wig especially made me look younger, so even though the characters are all practically the same age, there are some who will make you look younger or older (Mitsuru for example, given her overall look).

But really, just cosplay whoever the hell you want and have fun.
>>
>>9586464
Ah yes, the good old days.

Part city wigs, ill fitting costumes with cheap satin, props made out of cardboard, fat felicias...

Shame that now there are all these ~resources available so you actually look good in your costume and it's expected of you to be honest about yourself and your age and which character you can pull off.
>>
>>9586496
>over thirty
>showing my appreciation for the character. I think at the end of the day, that's all that matters really.

Yikes.

I can get cosplaying if you're over thirty because you're a craftsman and costuming and prop making is your hobby..

But cosplaying because at over thirty years old you have an emotional attachment over a children's cartoon character?

Thats just sad, dude. That at thirty years old you still haven't found yourself and need to live vicariously through children's media.

I get guys wanting to watch Bourne because for that hour and a half they can live vicariously through Jason Bourne.

But living your life like that, being attached to characters that are purposely made to be one dimensional and simple to understand so kids and teens can better grasp them... it honestly makes no sense to me, but it comes across as an adult who is trying far too much to hold on to childhood with a death grip, like those people that do crazy plastic surgery because they cannot fathom life beyond being 22.
>>
>>9580265
This type of thread pops up every few weeks. Basically, it's your hobby so do what you want. Even if you look older than the character, who cares? Worst case, some random shmo online will side eye you and you'll continue on with your life. There isn't any kind of cosplay police dictating who should cosplay what - if there was, you wouldn't see any cosplayers except for a small handful who look exactly like the characters and have a 100% spot on exact outfit.
>>
>>9593996
Different anon over thirty here. Newsflash: your life and your hobbies don't suddenly end after 29. There's no "agecap" on fandoms (ladies back in the original Trek fandom were far out of their 20s), and you are reading wayyyy too much into why someone might want to cosplay a character they like.

Besides, why do you think that anime and video games are only for children? Do you even belong on this board?
>>
>>9580265
Look at the other hundreds of same threads on the archive, damn summerfag
>>
Jesus do people really think you look like a granny at 30? Most people aged 30 that I know of look almost exactly the same they did in their early 20's. Sure you wouldn't pass for a teenager but definitely not too old either.

Most of these "ewwwww everyone over 25 should just stop cosplaying" people are girls in their very early 20's or late teens who have a irrational fear of aging and have no actual idea of what people aged 29-35 look like. I'm 28 and I still get carded.
>>
>>9580265
Cosplay from Persona 2, plenty of older characters in that game
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.