[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime Revolution 2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: AniRevo-2017.jpg (102KB, 1200x444px) Image search: [Google]
AniRevo-2017.jpg
102KB, 1200x444px
What will you be cosplaying as? The schedule was just released, what are you looking forward to seeing event/panel/guest wise?
>>
looking forward to getting trapped at work. feelsbadman
>>
>>9578998
Fuck I don't want to pay the ridiculous high price but this is the only local con that is not completely dead
>>
>>9585030
Vancouver convention scene is abysmal. You'd think we'd have something decent by now with the size of our city.
>>
So they put UV stamps on everyone in addition to having a pass? I see why they did it to prevent pass sharing but maybe people wouldn't need to do that if your passes weren't an astronomical price.
>>
All the fuss about uv stamp thing is interesting. If it works well on this time maybe other cons should consider it as well. There are so many shared passes and steals in events
>>
>>9585159

No kidding

You would think revo or evo would figure it out by now but nope and I struggle to understand why
>>
>>9585805
why does AR need to figure out anything when they are the most visible, has the funds to fly in japanese guests and sometimes bands, has zero competition now that AE is dead, and secures the silver medal venue in the city? if anything AE needs to pick up their pieces and realize they can't compete, change their date an rebuild from there.
>>
>>9585836

Don't think AE is even trying to compete anymore judging how this year outing for them was a sad state of affairs
>>
>>9585836

Countermarketing can used against AE, look at Battleborn when they ever try to do a promotion, Blizzard basically steps in and up the ante all because Gearbox picked the wrong guy to fight with.

>>9585159

RIP Nihon, NWFF and Halloween Expo...oh wait they have been failures. Better just make sure the real audience gets to flaunt their wealth aka the investor's children.
>>
>>9585836
There are multiple issues with the convention, but they hide it pretty well.
A summary:
>treating their international guests poorly
>staffing issues/lack of training
>its a for-profit convention, meaning your money goes towards the execs trip to japan
>suing competition/smaller conventions
>awful organization for the tea party (except the first year was amazing, but afterwards they stopped caring)
But will the scene change? Probably not. People will still go since they feel like it's the only con worth going to around here. It's the best con in Vancouver, sure, but you're comparing AR to shit shows like nihon fest.

>>9585854
I actually went full in nihon fest. Paid for a 3 day pass, and when they changed it to a 2 day and refunded me the price I should have known. Whoever they hired for marketing though deserves a raise. The promos and posters for the con was A+
>>
>>9585836
Oh also forgot to mention.
AE is non-profit. Meaning the money from their tickets go towards getting guests, and securing a venue. Less people going means less money, which means less guests and worse venue and it goes on. It's a vicious circle. Because AR charges an arm and a leg, along with just general convention exhaustion with all of the mini one day conventions, people resort to picking 1 con a year. Or just hope to ghost through the smaller cons in order to save money. So AE can only pick up it's pieces if more people go and buy tickets.
Which won't happen.
So rip

>just wait till you can go to sakura con desu
>>
>>9585884
these are pretty soft issues compared to AE collapsing from lack of funding or the entirety of Nihonfest

>>9585888
AE needs to charge more. AR early bird is $53 so AE can get away charging $40 with $60 at the door. they can do something crazy like move it one week before/after Sakuracon so it services people that can't travel. probably better than putting it a week before AR and getting destroyed for 2 years straight.
>>
>>9585905

Why do they still do the week plan before AR?

I mean a month before would have been nice as there wasn't a lot to do last month
>>
>>9585905
The noose is tightening. AR is doing one day cons around the same time as Hanamatsuri and the free stage shows really dont help retain sales for venues except for the diehard supporters
>>
The have the strangest mix of guests. Decently well known ones like Tabbitha, Mon and Stay, and then absolute nobodies.
>>
>>9585888
This basically. I only got a badge this year to help my friend at her panel, but I'm an idiot and didn't realize they'd schedule it on a work day so I couldn't help her out today. They really overcharge, and are pretty shit when it comes to having things ready for panelists (lack of proper a/v hookups when they said they'd be provided). It's worth it just to save your money and go to Sakura Con. I have a blast there every year and AR is not even comparable.

On top of my sinus infection, I also got sick thanks to our shitty air quality. How bad would it be if I wore a dust mask with my cosplay? I got stuck with a weekend pass but will only be able to make it out for a few hours tomorrow. Here's hoping I don't melt in my cosplay.
>>
>>9586500

Good luck with the air, heat and fireworks crowds tomorrow

Also hoping you'll be fine in your cosplay
>>
So, did anyone else stuck in that long ass line? Is it still going? Sounds like a lot of people basically missed out on one day of their 3-day pass. How does this happen? I thought SAK's 1.5 hour wait this year was bad, but 4+ hours is pretty shitty.
>>
>>9586956

Judging on fb looks like they had both reg and pre-reg as the same line and didn't bother to fix it
>>
>>9586956

A bunch of friends invited me to AniRevo Con tomorrow, I haven't been to any conventions before and I've seen lots of people complaing about a "4 hour" waiting line. Are there any Panels worth going to? I've looked through the panels and events and didn't find anything of interesting, the +18 dating game and swim suit cosplay seem like they would be cringy as fuck. Is it worth buying tickets just for the vendors or would it be a better idea hang out outside the convention center.
>>
>>9587090
It's not worth the money. Trust me. It's better to just hang around outside and maybe try to sneak in when possible. Idk how probably that is because of the whole UV stamp shit which is fucking stupid. If you and your friends are kinda bored, you can always grab a bus to the Powell Street Festival which is far more exciting and free.
>>
>>9585159
I tried. I really tried to make this happen, and I was really close to succeeding. AR fucked it all up on purpose, and now here we are.
>>
Did you guys see that the owner is so proud of himself that he commissioned a bibliographical manga in his honour?

https://summer.animerevolution.ca/otaku-ceo/
>>
>>9587121
oh my god he explicitly mentions me and my event in this and he's still blatantly lying about what went down six years later

I shouldn't be surprised but wow WOW hahaha
>>
File: IMG_0858.jpg (101KB, 1464x572px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0858.jpg
101KB, 1464x572px
y'all the FB group is lit tonight, my condolences for the people stuck in line today
>>
>>9587090
From what ive seen in previous years, vendors have marked up prices, bootlegs, and half the selection of any online store. The convention is in the new center this year so I havent yet seen how big the vendor hall is but its usually a good size. its $50 for a 2 day and there wont be lines after day 1. Panels are usually pretty cringe and they typically have a million sound/tech troubles but new venue could fix that. In previous years theres been 2 panels running at once in the same room with a curtain in between. Its super hot and smoggy outside so I doubt youd see many people outside for long.

Could go to pride and see the same amount of autism
>>
>>9587223
They curtain thing was only for the first year or two and they fixed it after getting a lot of complaints but man it was fucking stupid to do it like that in the first place. The last time I went was in 2014 or 2015 and the issue now was some panels got much bigger rooms than they needed while other panels got smaller rooms when they should have been in big ones.

I remember there was some Japanese VA Q&A panel and her manager didn't want any photo, video, or recording taken by the audience. So you got some volunteers having to patrol the huge room - it was one of the downstairs rooms by the ballrooms - doing their best to play security guard. I talked to one of them after the panel and he said he wasn't even supposed to be there, he just showed up so he could watch the panel but instead had to pay more attention to the audience than the panelist
>>
>>9587109
What con? If it's something you're serious about, I'll support you. I've been buying passes to small cons/start up cons/literally anything but AR just to try to see change.
>>
I ended up not cosplaying (>>9586500 is me) in favour of being comfortable in case I was stuck outside. Luckily, I picked up my badge first thing Saturday morning when there was no line for pre-reg and they actually separated the two lines. That being said, it’s pretty shitty that I lost 1 day of my 3 day pass. I feel bad for the people that missed Friday panels and events due to the con’s incompetency. My bag didn’t include a schedule, so I had to wait in another line at the info booth to get one, since I didn’t want to use my phone.

Here’s some of my thoughts on some of the con in case anyone wants to know what they missed out on (nothing) or confirmation of how shitty the con actually was:

There was not much to do in general.

Competitions: Couldn’t see the cosplay or swimsuit competition because the lineup started over an hour in advance and they maxed capacity quickly.

Location and Staff: I thought the new location was slightly better because it put a tiny separation between us an the cruise ship tourists. I thought the layout for panels was better, and the wood walls made for a good backdrop for hall shots. I’m confused about why they need volunteers if it’s a profit organization. For the ticket price they should be able to hire enough people to deal with the line chaos, and allocate the rooms better so there wouldn’t be massive lines for some events, and near empty rooms for other panels. The convention centre staff were cold and irritated with the lineups (understandably so), but the volunteers were friendly, though slightly overwhelmed and clueless at times.

(1/3?)
>>
>>9588648
Panels: The panels were a mixed bag. I couldn’t sit through the makeup panel with Mon夢. All she showed were still shots of her eyes (they weren’t even compiled into a slideshow presentation) and extremely basic tips on makeup application. She didn’t cover contouring, which someone in the audience had to ask about. Even then, she just giggled a bunch (is that even her real voice?) and said white shimmer powder on the nose and under eyebrows? There’s tons of better tutorials online.

I only caught the second half of Lady Zero and Narcisse’s wig Q&A, so I didn’t learn anything new there. I thought they answered the question of “How do I detangle and really long wig?” poorly; they just suggested to start combing it from the bottom up. They seemed really nice though.

Junkrat’s panel was interesting, but he mostly explained stuff on his website. He is an entertaining personality though, and there were some good questions asked, so I enjoyed his panel. Unfortunately, the anime showroom across the hall was really loud and the staff had the door to the panel open until the last 10 minutes. The room next to us was playing intermittently loud music too so it was hard to hear him sometimes.

Other: I didn’t make it to the dances because I was sick. There was a lineup to get into the dealer’s hall in the morning and shocked to find one in the afternoon? I have never seen that midday. The UV stamps were a joke, check out the FB page for the complaints. The most entertainment I had was actually hanging out in the colouring room. I sat a table with some chill people and we had a blast chatting while colouring satanic Sailor Moons and pastel Gokus.

This was my third time going to the con and won’t be going again; I wouldn’t be surprised to hear if someone spent 90% of their time in a lineup. It’s embarassing and a waste of time and money. Save it for your next cosplay, or another con.

(2/3)
>>
>>9588648
>>9588649

I forgot to add that the dealer's hall/artist alley was poorly organized, with everyone being mixed together. Also, why the hell were there panels being run in the same hall (behind the vendor area), and right next to the video/console games area? I feel bad for the presenters trying to deliver any content across that noise, let alone hear any questions from the audience. Again, super embarrassing and indicative of a complete incompetence on the organizers' part.

I'm curious to hear about other people's experiences at the actual panels and events. Did anyone manage to get into the cosplay or swimsuit competition, or make it to the dance?

(3/3)
>>
>>9588648
>>9588649
>>9588654
Thank you for your review - it's hard to find some honest thorough experience of AR. I'll never pay to attend - I've gone once briefly to help a group, and I really disliked how they arranged AA/DH. Plus not much to do then, and I see that there's still not much to do now. Despite how expensive AR is, I can't believe the amount of people who attends it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't honest about their attendance figures.
>>
>>9588654

Went to the ballroom and it was poor. No set playlist that fits the song. I know they are taking notes from Sakura but even Sakuracon had an organixed playlist. The rave was shit compared to last year, hell you even got a confession from that. T

Swimsuit Contest is a treat for the beefcake lovers. Even had a vrigin sweater cutout of a male cosplayer.
>>
>>9588654

Made it into the cosplay contest by lining up early. Half of the contestants looked they came from the joke cosplay contest and many of the audience members had costumes miles above the contestants. The show was pretty cringy which was highlighted by the fuck ups of the staff. Such as the announcers calling a Star vs the forces of evil cosplay, being from Star Wars repeatedly. A good Cosplayer being screwed over by having the wrong audio played over them. Which was meant for the worlds cringiest pudgy Show by rock cosplayers acting out their character characters using Twitter and Tumbler among other social media references for a good 5 minutes.
>>
>>9588699
As said before, people just settle for AR. Might as well go to a con, even if it's bad, it's better than the rest.
The rest being a 1/10
AR being 2/10
>>
>>9588654
Wow it's like the curtain splitting rooms into two all over again. I remember the poor AoA guy trying to do his panel with only the curtain separating him from the games room
>>
Did anyone go to the after party thing? They had DJ Wildparty. He seems to be good from when I've watched the mogra stream. I think it was only $10 to.
>>
Who won the cosplay and swimsuit contest? pictures appreciated
>>
Due to the staff's incompetence I was able to skip the four hour line on Friday and just waltz right into the building to pick up my pass. I had a great time time year to be honest
>>
File: post con dramu.png (266KB, 996x1326px) Image search: [Google]
post con dramu.png
266KB, 996x1326px
This sparked a nice 89 comment thread below the guy calling idols trash. Thoughts? I personally didn't think AR was idol con at all this year. AE/Nihon/other events in the past year for sure were though. I can only imagine what panels that supposedly got rejected would've been like. If it wasn't idols to complain about, it would be cringey af character Q&A panels or something, really it's all the same thing.
>>
>>9591513
The guy is a fag. As if yaoi paddles and vuvuzelas were better.
>>
File: 2017_07_30_12_53_21.png (291KB, 533x410px) Image search: [Google]
2017_07_30_12_53_21.png
291KB, 533x410px
tfw it was barely worth. would never go again unless they paid me or it was free but damn. The idol contest turned out to be LIT.

some japanese eizen cosplayer showed up and smashed us with a sono chi no sadameeeee, JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JO.

https://streamable.com/cyvh4
>>
>>9594262
damn I was sad I couldn't make it to the idol contest, thanks for the link anon!
>>
>>9589066
I'm curious about this to. Anyone hear anything about it?
>>
>>9591513

When in doubt, blame moe, idols and anything with a sizable female cast because Buzzfeed and Kotaku said so. A lot of the big haters were never fans of that aspect of Japanese Culture
>>
I've been going to this con for the past 4-5 years and desu they're getting worse every year. They're paying more for publicity and hyping it up rather than actually funding a well functioning once-a-year con (like AR: summer, winter, play, etc). Its sad bc this was my first con I actually had to travel to when I was 14 and boy I had fun then. A lot of people are realizing that its really not worth the money unless you're there to meet a couple of guests; making it look quite empty other than random love live cosplayers here and there. Also fuck that they didn't have a separate line for pre reg it just takes a bit more work. You can thank lazy staff for making you stand out in the smog and heat :)))) (thanks for making my lung problems worse) I'm done my rant :v
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.