[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artist Alley General: Round 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 377
Thread images: 36

File: ArtistAlley.jpg (126KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ArtistAlley.jpg
126KB, 500x500px
Previous: >>9563879

>Please read the FAQ
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Taobao/Alibaba services (broken link)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>IP taketowns (based on artists contribution, may or may not have been a one time thing, use as a guideline)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1696MDhNPhrZ0ySZhXkoJnGxb7l1OjW4JsVhu1wKvaWE
>>
Everyone ready for signups for next year's cons?
>>
>>9573193
ready for the same shitty tumblr artists with identical styles to take up spots that other, more skilled and diverse artists could use to actually breath life into the artist alley instead of making it a snooze fest of the same characters and fandoms

>'u mad/salty xDDDD???'
yes.
>>
File: tropic_thunder_rdj.jpg (66KB, 450x373px) Image search: [Google]
tropic_thunder_rdj.jpg
66KB, 450x373px
>Yfw Dream Daddy out of fucking nowhere
>>
AA at anime midwest was almost all split tables and when I went around for business cards some of them just wrote down their email and asked me to email them for their shit- seriously unprepared. fucking jokers.
>>
>>9573349
Not everyone is trying to run a full blown business? Also I've been tabling for five years and I've done away with business cards just because people just toss em or are serial collectors.

I just keep info cards people can take pics of.
>>
>>9573351
>I just keep info cards people can take pics of.

A lot of people had those and it was wonderful!

but some of those people make the convention look like a joke... with kopf flying around on his segway you think he would realize that
>>
Speaking of business cards, do you guys prefer giving out business cards or have a small sign up with your information for people to take a picture of? I've been seeing the latter for awhile now and have been thinking that's a good idea. It gets a little tiresome having looky loos at your table, who just grab a card to be polite, or people who don't even look at your art and just grab your card and leave. Opinions?
>>
>>9573360
Business cards in the bag with purchase, sign for pictures on the table.
>>
>>9573360
I prefer business cards because it won't get lost in the million of pics I'll take at the con. I put cards on my table because I don't mind if people take them. I understand if artists don't want to do this because it doesn't guarantee a sale.
I used to think taking cards was ok, but I stopped after a bad experience. I had a scheduled meeting with some people, but saw a cool table on my way there. I stopped, took a card, and politely told the girl I would be right back when it was done, and I guess she thought I was a liar. When I came back, she turned her back on me and ignored me. I stayed and said excuse me, but I guess I'd offended her. I put back her card and left.
>>
>>9573360
I have both. I like having the sign since I can update info on it last minute if I don't have new business cards ready.
>>
>>9573205
id prefer the tumblrites get in over some of the really pathetic tables like shrinkydink/perler bead tables or the overweight girl sitting alone at a table doing nothing but traditional MLP spot-commissions.
>>
>>9573351
>Not everyone is trying to run a full blown business?
Is it overreaching or excessive when the AA heads come out and say exactly that. "We did not intend AA to be an area for artists who do this for a living".
>>
>>9573381
THIS IS THE BEST
>>
>>9573398
probably but that's not my issue at all- the issue is letting sloppy people into the AA of one of the largest conventions for the locality.

if it were Tinykon2k who would care, not me, but there was only 3 or 4 tables in the AA that were worth the walk through half that warehouse- and they weren't split tables.
>>
>>9573360
I'm with >>9573381. My cards have my art on them, and people were taking the cards without actually buying anything before. Now, you only get the card if you buy something. You can take a photo of my information otherwise.
>>
>>9573360
I went sign a while back and never looked back. I want to make nice letterpress cards for myself and to exchange with recruiters but that'll be it. Business cards never resulted in anything useful for me when given at cons.
>>
tfw you really should standardize your naming across platforms but haven't yet
>>
>>9573343
>tfw you're watching people jump on the hype train of a game that's not even out.
>>
>>9573351
>>9573360
>I just keep info cards people can take pics of.
god I hate this. I can't be bother when people do that. Just get a business card, they literally cost pennies. Get a nice business card and people are more likely to keep it for longer.
>>
>>9573478
what? the game is already out.
>>
>>9573486
oh really?
well, before that.
>>
>>9573482
If you couldn't be bothered to take literal seconds to take a picture with your phone, you probably weren't going to take the seconds follow my social media or buy anything from my store anyways.
>>
>>9573482
That's the thing. They keep it and don't buy shit.
>>
>>9573488
The game has been out for a couple of days and it's super simple to play through. Each route takes you maybe like an hour and a half tops? Probably faster if you use the fast forward function to skip dialogue you've already seen before. A lot of people have already finished playing through all the routes.

The creative team has also okayed fanmerch so it makes sense that artists are gearing up for their fall cons.
>>
>>9573482
desu this. if i'm in a cosplay or carrying a lot of stuff in the AA, i don't wanna fumble for my phone and stand there trying to take a photo. but i will grab a card and put it in my bag or pocket and look you up later when i'm at home and more relaxed.

but then again, i'm not grabbing every single card that's available in the AA like some people tend to do.

as an AA artist i do sometimes have 2 separate cards though. the nice ones i put in with purchases, the cheaper ones i put in a stack on my table.
>>
>>9573531
>>9573482
as customers your position is valid but from an artists standpoint there are serial "business card collectors XD" out there who just want to run around and pick up paper and not buy shit.
Fuck that
>>
>>9573381
I do this, and if anyone asks for one, then I give them my card.
>>
>>9573489
because when I do do it, I always end up forgetting about it because I never look at my pictures on my phone, so if they can't be bother to send 5 cents on a business card, I just don't bother.
>>9573542
I've heard some people say they go through hundreds of cards at each convention, and I've just never understood how because I go to huge cons, make thousands of dollars, but very few people take my cards. Doubt more than 100 people have ever taken a card from me at a single con.
At the very least, just hide your cards behind the table and hand it to people who ask.
>>
>>9573383
What the hell is this reaction? Way to be childish about literally nothing on the artist's end.
>>
>>9573558
Maybe you don't have art on your card?

Some common experiences I've had with cards:
- Someone spots it behind my displays/near my cash bag, fucking reaches for it without asking and grabs for one
- Customer buys something -> asks for card -> someone nearby sees the art on it -> "I WANT ONE TOO! IT'S FREE!"
-"Do you have a business card? I'm trying to get every single one in the alley -shows off a fat stack-"

My rule of thumb:
you buy something -> you get a card
future project,company,work -> you get a card

otherwise everyone can fuck off and take a picture
>>
>>9573398
>>9573409
I miss the early 2000s AA days when it acted more as big after school art club for people to hang out and draw while gaining a few bucks.

I feel like this fucking crafters ruined it... And it seems like people are slowly starting to realize that crafters are not on the same level as 2D artists with "crafter corners" becoming more popular, or the outlawcon drama with them wanting to charge crafters more for a table.

I know I'm salty, but they should be charged more, because it's them who are bringing in 2-6k, while print artists usually bring in around $400. It's the crafters making so much that caused for business tax ID numbers to become required now at nearly every con, making it impossible for new people to break in and test waters or just do something fun with their art. Nope, gotta be a full business now with a business number and traders license.
>>
>>9573457
Similar thought: I've been using my username as my AA name, but honestly the name itself isn't a memorable title or good for branding, to me at least.

I haven't thought of adding an extension to the username, like example ___'s Crafts or Illustrations by ____ whatever. I only think about this because I hope to someday try the city's craft shows, and I think the AA name I use is pretty bland and unusual. Anyone in the same boat or thoughts?
>>
>>9573566
i'm a craft artist.
Maybe you shouldn't put art on yours if you are an artist i guess?
>>
>>9573568
>because it's them who are bringing in 2-6k, while print artists usually bring in around $400
Maybe you want to define your idea of crafters and print artists before people start jumping to accusations to your post.
>>
>>9573482

It isn't a cost thing for me. Maybe other artists see a return from having business cards, but I gained more followers from having a photo sign up because these were people interested enough to actually follow up. As far as I'm concerned, you not taking a picture is identical to someone picking up a card when it comes to conversion. Why should I carry extra shit around for zero returns?

>>9573531

Your point is valid, and for people like you I will consider making a small batch of cards to give when asked for. At the least, asking is still more effort than someone drive-by grabbing a card without even bothering to actually look at the art.
>>
>>9573568
>crafters
Do you mean people with outsourced goods like notebooks and keychains or do you mean hand-sewn/knitted items like plushies and scarves/slippers? Being specific can go a long way.
>>
>>9573568
>while print artists usually bring in around $400
Have you talked to print artists? Most of the print wall tables I know bring in several thousand dollars profit, especially since their profit margins are much bigger than other product types. Are you non-American also? Most European anons are the ones saying it's harder to turn a profit for prints from what I've noticed.
>>
>>9573568
>gotta be a full business now with a business number and traders license.

I guess I just don't see this as a problem. you want to run a smaller, more casual operation find a better niche. streaming, small conventions, meet-ups... etc

craft artists don't have the luxury of running a small operation because of the time it takes to make their shit, and they'll need to sell lots to make sure they get net gain. rather than print artists who spend 30 hours for something they can make theoretically unlimited copes of
>>
File: not my art.png (138KB, 809x875px) Image search: [Google]
not my art.png
138KB, 809x875px
I have a quick question about asymmetrical art and file set up. I want to do a small batch of keychains just for myself and a few friends, but there's a design element that's on the left side of the image. To get a double sided effect properly, does the "back" side need to be flipped? Or should the art stay the same direct in order to print correctly? It seems to make more sense to me that the back would be flipped, but I think I'm overthinking things. I just want these to be nice for my friends.

I apologize in advance for the spoonfeed.
>pic related but not my image, just a similar example.
>>
>>9573598
Unfortunately I'm no help, but if you have to go with the bottom row, would flipping the boat's number-plate the readable way be an issue? Only a suggestion as I don't know the origins of this and if that's how the boat should be.
>>
>>9573598
Needs to be flipped like the bottom two
Any words on the back side would not be flipped
print the images and assemble them together to get a better idea
>>
>>9573619
>>9573612
Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated!
>>
>>9573568
>while print artists usually bring in around $400
What??? Anon... even when I was selling ONLY prints and nothing else (no charms, no notebooks, no 3D goods), I still hit 2-3k on average with 5k being my record. The only time I only made $400 was my second time tabling - in my first year I was able to hit 1k and over regularly.
>>
>>9573626
How many people at the cons you go to??
>>
>>9573626
Not that anon, but how many print designs do you think you had by the end of your first year?
>>
Can I get your thoughts on that post on AANI about sending your art to the person who is making the care package for the children?
Do you think it is legit?
If you did send something, would it be in poor taste to send your business card too?
>>
>>9573457
tfw when you HAVE standardised your naming across platforms but then find out its extremely similar to another pre-existing artist so you have to change evvverrryythiinng
>>
is it possible to be an AA artist full time?
>>
>>9573627
I'm in California so most of the cons here are pretty big.

>>9573629
It was so long ago so I don't remember the exact number but I was sharing a table still back then so I think I had maybe 8-10 poster designs? What sold the best for me were miniprints at the time and those were just quick little busts I didn't have in poster form.
>>
>>9573665
That's why I'm chewing on mine so hard -- some of my social media names are based on a non-art property I like but hasn't existed for a long time.
>>
>>9573558
>>9573573
I don't really have art on my card and i still go through like 300-500 business cards a con... I actually don't think they bring much attention to me at all but i just love designing them.
>>
>>9573666
yes, I do. Just need to live in the right place that is near a lot of conventions and cheap housing. I live very bare minimum/frugally and don't have any debt at all to pay off like student loans or car loans, so probably not possible for everyone unless you have amazing work.

>>9573713
Thats crazy. I wonder why that is. Maybe you have more generic stuff that almost everyone likes? My stuff is more niche.
>>
>>9573568
I sold 369 11x17 prints at AX at the 10-15 price point (buy 2 get 1 free discount). This artist that i just friended on Twitter sold 500 prints at AX at the 15-20 price point and the guy who does Pokemon collages (every single Pokemon on the same print) sold 300 of his Pokemon ones at AX at 20 price point.

Prints sell really well still. It's just that the bar has been raised so you need to be either really good or have a gimmick
>>
>>9573728
idk lol. it's a pain because i'm always at my weight limit for flying to cons so not bringing them would actually be beneficial for me but i just like designing them so here i am. i order like 2500 at a time ugh
>>
>>9573732
lol, I've bought 500 cards and been to 7 conventions (6 of which I brought in over $1k revenue) and still have around 100 cards left.
>>
i had put a coupon on my business cards once trying to get ppl to look me up later but it never caught on. tho that was when i was startin up so it might be an ok idea again
>>
>>9573739
Ah i think that sounds about right for when i used to make similar profit? Again though like i said i don't think i get many followers from cards anyway so whatever, that's why i understand if people don't bring cards. Giving out 500 per con still amounts to not much so just don't begrudge someone for not knowing you might be one of like 5 followers gained from 500 cards.

In my opinion if someone really loves your art and wants to follow you, regardless of if you have cards or a sign they will find a way to follow you.
>>
How long was it between deciding to sell art at conventions to actually throwing down money for a table? Did you jump right in and reserve a few tables at different conventions from the start, or did you try tabling at one convention and decide if you wanted to continue doing it after that? Did you already have a bunch of stuff ready to sell because you'd had an online store before, or were conventions the first time you'd tried making money off your art and therefore you had to start creating merch?

I'm planning to table for the first time at a convention next year, and I wonder if other people take as much time/take less time than I do to plan everything before actually making the commitment.
>>
>>9573822
I did a one day con, then waited a year to do that same con again, then started doing other cons. Just did it for extra cash at first. Was happy with just making even a little money.
>>
>>9573822
Was invited to do a table split twice by friends. Haven't had my own table yet, Animenyc would have been my first solo con.

I made some new works and sold only prints and on site commissions. Statred recently making charms, stickers and invested in a button maker. I'm going to start testing places to get stationary stuff done for Back to school season.
>>
>>9573822
About a month. Our first con I put around 2k into it and left with about $50 in profit. It was a fairly large con and it being my first, I was ecstatic. Looking back now, if I make 2k then I'd be pretty pissed. I had 3 things that could be turned into prints but otherwise, I made all my mercy that month. Ended up with about 15 prints.
>>
>>9573917
merch** dang autocorrect
>>
>>9573644
I think it's a scam. I read her whole post and it just sounds fake, or at the very least like something the family never asked for/doesn't actually want.
>>
>>9573921
You think op is trying to get free art for themselves of series they like?
>>
I want to paint white van shoes with something anime. I was thinking of doing a popular OTP, one from each foot. Thought they would sell nice for the hard core fans/the itabag collectors. Thoughts?
>>
>>9574044
Weren't shoe commissions really popular like 4-6 years ago on deviantart? The itabag market sounds like a good idea, but I think commissions would be better than making them to sell at conventions until you know what characters/pairings sell well since it's so niche.
>>
>>9574044
>>9574063
I also feel like commissions would be better unless you want to shoot wildly in the dark at feet sizes.
>>
>>9574044

I mean, I think it would still be cool. I saw some super cute shoes at SDCC, high tops with Pikachu and little boat shoes for children..with also Pikachu. I'm sure those type of shoe commissions are a lot, but I would love to get one with a group of my favorite people.
>>
Maybe I'm blind because I can't seem to find an answer in any thread, but does anyone have a source for the clear sparkle/holographic sticker overlay people are using lately?

I found a sheet at Michael's once, but haven't seen it since. Tried eBay, Amazon and aliexpress under several variations of "transparent holo paper/sticker" with no luck. Much appreciated if anyone can help!
>>
>>9574398
If you have Hobby Lobby near you, they definitely have those in their scrapbook section, where all the different 12x12(?) sheets are. It looks like holographic white paper, but it is actually an clear adhesive.

As for eBay, try looking up "holographic adhesive" and you should find it.
>>
>>9573822
Three years.

When I first decided I wanted to table, I uploaded some art to ask if I was good enough, and got back a flat blanket hell no. So I worked on improving my art & researched the crap out of AAs instead. I ended up being as on the pulse about current AA trends, manufacturers, etc as anyone currently tabling because I started lurking all the same circles, so when I finally did decided to take the plunge I already knew what I wanted to do even if I had never sold my art before. It helps that I'm a freelance graphic designer, too, so I already understood a large portion of the opaque business side of things.

At the end of that three years I started working on some merch I wanted to print just because I wanted it to exist, and when I uploaded the WIPs to cgl for advice instead of getting laughed out of the thread people suggested some very minor tweaks, so I figured I was probably ready.
>>
So, I'm in a bit of a situation. Someone commissioned me for a full body digital drawing a couple months ago, they pay, I draw, very smooth process. Fast forward to now where I'm browsing social media and I find that they've traced the commission.

Thoughts on how to handle this? Should I just ignore it? They're not profiting off of it and they did technically pay but it feels wrong to me.
>>
>>9574398
Most people are getting it from Hobby Lobby. You can buy it online.
>Iridescent Holographic Glitter Scrapbook Paper - 12" x 12" by Paper Studio SKU: 248583
Right now it's $1.99, but it often goes on sale for $1 every other week or so
>>
>>9574402
Do you know if people still do group orders for these? The ones on ebay are really pricey (3 sheets for $15) and I remember seeing people doing group orders.
>>
>>9574458
There's a group order currently running in the AANI GO group and ends this Friday.
>>
>>9574443
Eh, shit happens. You can shoot them an email asking them to credit you for it, but I can assure you that they will not simply stop tracing.
>>
>>9574457
>>9574402
Thank you!!
>>
File: tumblr_mamyuawdZI1rn4dhjo1_500.jpg (29KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mamyuawdZI1rn4dhjo1_500.jpg
29KB, 500x281px
Hey fellow anons. I've been thinking about using Vograce's services for clear double sided acrylic charms. They seem around my budget since Acorn Press is MIA fucking up orders and i was going to use them. I was going to use other sites like Zap Creatives (Questionable quality), Chilly Pig and Ink It Labs (Both hella expensive) but Vograce seems the cheapest. There is one little problem i have with Vograce. Is using their services will potentially have my work slapped on every chinese merchandise? I've heard some people say this but i'm not 100% sure. I just want to start my own online shop and potentially sell in artist alleys selling some merch and they seem to be the only company that's willing to do charms.

Another question is defects. I've heard people say Vograce will send you defects if you use their services. Not 100% sure but i would like to know! If they're not as bad as everyone makes them out to be, i'll possibly do business with them!
>>
>>9574637
I have never seen any instance of someone's charms from vograce popping up on some other shop, in china or other places. They'd lose a ton of their business if they pulled that shit and they're well aware of it.

I do occasionally get a few duds once every ~500 or so charms, but they also send extras that you didn't pay for every now and again, so it pretty much evens out.
>>
>>9574637
I'd recommend getting samples made or ordering sample packs from each of the manufacturers so you can see the comparison of quality for yourself.

I found that Vograce is fine for what you pay, but they definitely have issues getting color correct if you use subtle gradations in your work. InkIt for sure doesn't have issues with this, ChillyPig's samples seem to be able to handle this but as you say, they're pricier. Zap's samples don't cover this but I'll probably be using one of my designs to test for this soon.
>>
File: AP_vs_ZAP.png (1MB, 1000x676px) Image search: [Google]
AP_vs_ZAP.png
1MB, 1000x676px
>>9574637
I was using Acorn Press before they closed orders, I needed to restock so I ended up using Zap. Zap's prints are slightly grainy but way crisper lines and retain all art details, AP's prints are more color accurate but the lines are slightly softer/blurrier. I went with Zap's matte instead of gloss because I wasn't sure at the time, but I think with the gloss option you wouldn't even notice the noise on the print. I've attached a comparison picture, I'm not sure if the graininess on Zap's is visible but you can see the color difference at least. I've had 0 defects from my Zap orders so far. Sorry for the giant text wall, hopefully it helped you though!

Zap is an alright alternative if you want durable acrylic charms similar to AP imo. For vograce you'd need to get double board acrylic or epoxy if you want the print to be scratch resistant, I'd use them for specialty charms like glitter epoxy or 2.5"+ charms.
>>
>>9574637
Yes Vograce is 100% safe. I highly doubt so many artist would continue using them if there was any huge theft risk. They literally service hundreds of artists in the west alone.
>>
>>9574637
I've probably ordered close to 2000 keychains through vograce and have probably encountered only three or four defective ones. They usually send you extras of your keychains at no cost anyways so that will probably compensate for any defects.
>>
>>9574637
you get what you pay for. they are cheap for a reason.
>>
>>9574443
>Always a future Rob Granito in the making.
>>
>>9573644
Don't think children will have any appreciation for art unless they see you draw it and hand it to them. I'd figure mostly toys or clothes, small bags, caps.
>>
>>9573355
Yeah, that is a fair point. It is a shame though, because you have to wonder how much of these takedowns were on straight traces
>>
>>9573822
I somehow got an AX table 2 months before AX and kicked my ass to make an entire tables worth of merch in that time. The idea of selling my art before that was only something I mulled over in my head. Made a lot of money and decided to keep going because it was fun, and now do it full time.

Don't be me though. Try a small convention first.
>>
File: ss+(2017-07-25+at+10.08.21).jpg (113KB, 985x508px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-07-25+at+10.08.21).jpg
113KB, 985x508px
>>9574648
>>9574669
>>9574701
>>9574746
>>9574752

Question anon again. Thanks so much for the response guys. I'll try Vograce pretty soon, makes me feel less nervous using them! One little question, sorry if i'm annoying with these questions haha.

In the related screencap i took by Vograce, is the US $0.2-1 translated as.20 cents to one dollar? I never used Alibaba before so i'm a little confused on their prices on the products.
>>
>>9575042
Most of my 1.5" charms ended up being 1.25 each without factoring in shipping, they'll end up being around that cost unless you're getting a very big order.
>>
>>9575042
You have to message them with your needs (what size, what kind, how many, etc.) to get a quote.
>>
>>9575042
Vograce pricing can vary quite a bit depending on exactly what you're getting (material, size, finish, strap types, etc.), and shipping is a big kicker since it's coming all the way from China, so it might be easier to just message and ask for what you'd be ordering specifically (+ shipping prices)! Definitely still cheaper than the other options you've listed (aside from AP), though.
>>
>>9575066
I'm planning on getting 5 charms of one design just to see how everything looks for 1 design. I'm thinking i'll go for a 2.5" size. I guess the price varies based on the size and quantity.
>>
>>9575070
>>9575076

Ah, i see. I'll message them just to see how much they go for. Thanks again! Acorn Press's prices were perfect. But because of horror stories have surfaced from them not refunding customers, people filing Paypal disputes for refunds, ignoring emails and questions and a variety of other shit, i might skip out on them. I was planning on ordering from AP before they publicly announced they're temporarily no longer taking order.

I felt it was a blessing in disguise i didn't order around that time, they would've taken my money and ran with it since it happened to a few others.
>>
>>9575042
>sorry if i'm annoying with these questions haha.

FUCKING
READ
THE
FAQ
>>
>>9575081
If you want transparent for that size, it'll be >$2 probably.
>>
Sorry for the stupid question, but how many charms do you manage to sell per con? I see people buying hundreds, but I'm guessing that they're spreading those out for multiple cons + online store. Since I'm only attending this one mid-sized con, I'm not sure how many of a design I should bring along. 5? 10? 20?
>>
>>9575124

Well, you should definitely bring enough that if you sold even half of them you'd cover your costs. If it's a really obscure or not well known title/character I usually do 7 knowing I'll have some leftovers. 10 is a good base level, 15 is good if it's FOTM (but not something fully oversaturated). Consider how unique your take on the character is. If you have an online store, it's not a bad idea to round up to like 10 or 20 if you know you can sell them there.
>>
>>9575124
What series are your charms of? Can't really give a good estimate without that info. I sold 200-300 charms from a single series (about 10 or more of each character, I brought about 10-15 each) at a mid-sized convention, and only like 5 each of some other designs because they were niche series.
>>
>>9575124
these "how many of x should I bring" questions are annoying because it really depends on if your art is shit or not. some people sell 2 of each design and some people sell 20+ of each design.
>>
>>9575124
enough so if you sell out, you'll be happy with the profit, but not so much that if you don't sell a single one, you'll be left with too much inventory.
>>
Anyone have experience with getting a temp sellers permit for NYC? The government site has dead links.
>>
>>9575169
I'd just wait until morning to give their department offices a call for any questions. Most times I've needed to sort out sales tax or permit stuff the offices have been helpful and friendly enough.
>>
>>9575131
>>9575136
>>9575145
Thanks for the advice guys! I have a better idea now. Some of my charms are from currently popular games (P5, FFXV, Nier), while others are more niche shows.

>>9575138
Well, I've seen people with better art than me, but I've also seen a bunch of people with worse. I was just looking for general numbers.
>>
>>9575117
Calm down. It doesn't hurt to ask a question if it's not in the FAQ.
>>
File: tumblr_openlmhqwz1qjz1ozo1_1280.jpg (290KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_openlmhqwz1qjz1ozo1_1280.jpg
290KB, 1280x1280px
I want to make an illustrated lookbook of all the cool outfits I wear. Is there a way to pull this off without being accused of copying Kaiami?
>>
>>9575414
I feel it's not uncommon to see artist draw themselves in their OOTD. I don't think anyone would accuse you unless you're copying her drawing style.
>>
>>9575414

There are hundreds if not thousands of blogs that do this, let alone how many tumblrs just for such a subject. She's not the first to think of it. I used to run a daily blog for my outfits too, just to keep up my habit of drawing.

You could change up the layout a little, so it's not articles of clothing to the left and a body on the right, but even then, you can still do that. Fashion magazines do that too if you haven't noticed...
>>
File: .gif (457KB, 180x166px) Image search: [Google]
.gif
457KB, 180x166px
How do you guys approach ideas for making a print? Do you have any specific idea-generating habits, like just browsing other people's prints or thinking about how to combine things to make a unique print?

I have a hard time thinking of stuff that I would consider "print-worthy", especially composition-wise. Most of my drawings are doodles of pairings or nsfw things, which has gotten me plenty of followers in the long run but doesn't really work for prints.
>>
>>9575414
Unless you are copying her style no one will care, kaiami would definitely not care either.
>>
>>9575645
Start studying composition and look at what kinds of material professionals are making.
Theres a diff between a print and a drawing of a halfbodied character on a white canvas
>>
File: tumblr_mbfq4haILJ1r2jz9fo2_1280.jpg (295KB, 1280x1195px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mbfq4haILJ1r2jz9fo2_1280.jpg
295KB, 1280x1195px
>>9575645
I start with thumbnails, pages of thumbnails no more than a a couple inches high, just to feel out composition and layout and generate ideas. I typically land on a good idea only every one in ten or so, don't be afraid to come up with lots of crap ideas before you make one that looks good.

I also start every thumbnail with a rule of thirds graph (pic related) or golden ratio spiral, so that I'm already thinking in therms of balanced composition from step 1.
>>
>>9575762
Unrelated but bottom right thumb looks like the composition of "the falling man" lol
>>
I usually see so many people comment with compliments on aani's wipw that seeing "those aren't going to sell" really surprised me.
I'm always trying to work on not taking criticism personally, but I would probably cry if someone told me that after I worked hard on something
>>
>>9575795
caps? can't find the post you're talking about
>>
File: pony.png (857KB, 1408x1068px) Image search: [Google]
pony.png
857KB, 1408x1068px
>>9575798
I'm assuming they're talking about this one?
>>
>>9575795
Better to be told they won't sell than to find out they don't sell the hard way.
>>
I'm looking to try and sell at more conventions in 2018. I reside in the northeast, So I was wondering if people had any suggestions to conventions that are still taking applications? I applied to Katsucon and I'm trying to split a table at Anime Boston. CtCon is already on lock. but I just wanted to ask and see what some other anons have planned for 2018.
>>
>>9575823
Agreed.

>>9575819
The OP is going to be in for a rude awakening. She got warned. No one to blame but herself at this point.
>>
>>9575819
Yikes. It doesn't read vintage. It looks more amateur. Bronies are really stuck up about the quality of merch they're buying, so they definitely wouldn't go for something like this.
>>
File: IMAG0008.jpg (988KB, 1129x847px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0008.jpg
988KB, 1129x847px
>>9575819
I do feel bad that they tried and it ended up looking...bad
Like "I ripped apart stuffed animals and used those pieces to make this" bad. Especially with the admission of using tacky glue
In other news, I got my 15% off Zap charms and I'm really happy with them. They've improved their single-sided quality a lot.
>>
Is there a tutorial or something on how to pick the best paper for your prints?
>>
>>9575993
Yes, google it
>>
>>9575993
You could order samples to see what paper you'd prefer

>>9576008
I know that lately AA people are being more strict about their sources, but why even take the time to reply if you're just going to say to use google or to read the faq over and over again. Just expect that with a general, there will be repeated questions, especially since the links in the op aren't often updated with this info
>>
>>9576032
They were asking on a tutorial for how to pick the best paper, and yes, that information is incredibly easy to google.
>>
>>9575946
They look really nice!

How long did it take to receive them? I ordered two designs from them and paid for the fastest shipping hoping they arrive before Aug 10th.
>>
>>9576032
Nayrt but this has nothing to do with sources? The other anon is right - you can literally google this stuff. You can even go on catprint or any other print site and they'll even have recommendations for which type of paper is best. And if you're even unconvinced after that, you can order samples from the source directly so you can see what you're getting like you said. There are really fucking obvious solutions to this.

Anyway, for the original anon - generally don't get anything below 80lb cover stock. Most people do 80-100lb cover/card. Next time just fucking check on whatever print service you're using.
>>
>>9576032
added this question to the FAQ. It's always getting updated, and if questions are asked enough I will add them to the doc :)
>>
It was probably explained when it happened, but I have been actively following these threads for a while now and never was it brought up: Is there a reason/story behind why the taobao spreadlink link is broken? I remember that about a year and a half ago it worked when I looked at it for curiosity sake. Was it too much effort to update or didn't want to spoonfeed people anymore? Both reasons are valid imo.
>>
>>9576934
Both reasons actually. Why is it still on the OP post in the first place? That's the real question. "Here's a resource- just kidding!" I love fucking with newbies as much as the next person, but that's just cruel.
>>
>>9576934
AFAIK, the original anon who made the doc deactivated it. I think they were getting tired of all the people complaining about going direct-to-manufacturer and asking to be spoonfed directions. When that doc was up, every thread you'd get someone going "but how do I order from here?" "what's the minimum order from here?" when they could have just emailed the suppliers themselves.
>>
>>9577023
Ah I see; that makes sense. Ironically, we still get a bunch of questions of that flavour, but I can see how it would be even worse with the lazy variety of newbs being given just enough information to go through with it and ask these types of questions, instead of giving up like how it naturally goes.

>>9576968
Yeah I thought so. That's a good point though. When I first noticed, I assumed it was some sort of spreadsheet mishap and that it was going to be fixed, but it's been a long time now. Might as well take it off, especially since with the real reason given it's unlikely to be back up.

Thanks for the answers guys
>>
>>9577042
Yeah - and I think even beyond just people asking to be spoonfed there was a lot of... sort of misdirected anger too, if I remember correctly. Like back when most people didn't know about Vograce, it was one of the main things listed on that doc. And I remember people getting really upset about things not coming in time from Vograce when it was their fault for ordering too close to their due date or forgetting that customs will hold packages. And those people would come in the AA threads and say things that pretty much shifted the blame onto the anons who had recommended Vograce before.

Even with the other manufacturers on that doc - it's like a lot of people don't understand that going direct-to-manufacturer is always gonna have some sort of a risk and it's on you to ask for samples/photos and make edits to insure that you get the final product that you want. People are so used to short run/retail that they don't get how a factory manufacturing process works and that there is a margin of error that is accepted within the industry.

I don't blame Ali/Taobao doc anon for taking it down. They were just trying to help and all they got was ungrateful infighting honestly.
>>
Best place for custom washi tape?
>>
>>9577065
Shitty. Sage for kind of off topic, but that is the risk you take with any sort of product when you buy online, and more so if you buy from far away foreign places, not just artist alley stuff. Yeah, you often get it for cheaper, but it also takes longer to get to you etc. You took the risk, so don't shoot the messenger that it didn't get shipped in the mail to you on a perfect time frame, or something got lost in communication on a custom design thing.

My real job is in an industry that people sometime bypasses by getting it cheaper "at the source/ "I can get this cheaper online (or doing it myself) :D"" then whine when they get fucked over somehow or other, so whining of this type of caliber certainly isn't isn't limited to here. Many retail places take that risk and effort to check out for you, and so for that and other reasons they charge higher. You can't always get to have your cake and eat it too.

Anyway doc anon shouldn't had to deal with that when they were trying to help for free, I agree 100%.
>>
>>9577246
>alibaba
>>
I find it funny Alibaba is becoming more popular.I remember seeing it when I was researching places to get sticky notes made.
>>
A couple questions about these Victorian fabric designs...
I often want to use them for parts of my drawings, but I don't know if it is allowed because of royalties and commercial rights and such.
So is there a place to find these kinds of designs for free commercial use?

And if there is, would that be a shitty thing to do as an artist? Since your not drawing it yourself.
>>
>>9577484
Do you mean textures? Are you asking if it's okay to use textures? Did someone let tumblr or AANI know about these threads? I swear we didn't have stupid questions like this before. I get asking about the source for an obscure product, but we had some dumbass asking about paper quality a few posts up and now there's this retard.
>>
>>9577490
No. I'm talking about literally using a design like in the pic as a background or something. Without edit. Retard.
>>
Vograce is taking more than 2 weeks to send me my outlines. I get that they're busy, but I'm getting impatieny because i have a convention coming up soon.
>>
>>9577496
Yes, textures. That's what they're called. Maybe try Google next time.

>>9577501
Message them and give them a deadline (if you haven't done so already). They should be able to accommodate you, especially if it's already been two weeks.
>>
>>9577501
what con anon? maybe jump ship and try zap if you have enough time still!

lately I've been seeing zap's twitter rt'ing the good reviews some artists have been leaving them but did anyone else see that one review by kyandi or whatever last week in aani? i know kyandi is sort of sketch in general (never met/had beef with her but saw some mutuals get burned by instead) but her situation with zap would have given me destroyed my nerves jfc
>>
>>9577506
Texture is like grunge maps, wood, concrete. Not elaborate designs.
>>
Is it bad if you only post merch on your blog? Personally, I only draw to sell so everything I draw is a print or a charm. I worry that my followers will get tired of it but I just don't have the time to draw for leisure thanks to my day job.
>>
>>9577501
>2 weeks
Anon, I got my outlines today and I literally messaged them this Monday. Then again, I've been hustling them a bit since my con is next week.

>>9577550
No? Does regular fanart have something that merch fanart doesn't?
>>
>>9573383
you sure she heard you in all the commotion? I've literally had friends so intensely distracted they don't notice me open their palm and taking whatever out their hands.
it's amazing
>>
I registered for Alibaba, but the moment I log in I get a notification that I have suspicious activity on my account and will need to verify it. The only verification method they give me to work with is through SMS - which I never receive. I've even tried making new accounts and using my friend's phone numbers to make sure it's not a problem on my end. What gives?
>>
>>9577484
dude it would take like 20 mins to ref these and draw your own repeating pattern lmao
>>
>>9577506
... That's not what a texture is. I almost wonder if this is a troll.

>>9577484
On Google, go to advanced search and change the usage rights to free to use/share/modify commercially, then type whatever you're looking for. What sucks about that is limited choices. There are tutorials online for how to make patterns/repeating designs, look them up for whatever art program you use.
>>
>>9577550
I don't think it should be a problem. The merch is still your art, right? I'm sure your followers would appreciate whatever you are posting.
>>
So here's something interesting. I was offered to host a little art portfolio review panel at a con here in Ohio. I work as an editor for a comic publishing company in New York, and I guess someone on my Linkdin or something found out and emailed me if I would like to attended (free pass and hotel room! Score). Ohio being my hometown, I figured, eh, why not, I'll swing by. I pretty much review art portfolios for a living, so I'm glad I can share advice to some hopeful mangakas or something.

Would anyone of you go to a review session like this? Or fuck it, you're here at a con to have fun/you already sell 5K at the AA, what do you need a portfolio review for? Just wondering if I should be expecting to be alone in a room for 6 hours, or if I'll have a line of happy little art students seeking my wisdom.
>>
>>9577888

Are you doing it for free? My older brother reviews business resumes for college students and charges like $100 an hour. And they pay, he's got a pretty good side gig.

I would attend, but then again I'm that person who always wants my work to be reviewed, unlike my friends. If you're charging, I might WANT to go, but then forget and go watch stupid anime instead.
>>
>>9577888
If it's publicized that you're an editor for an actual publishing company, fuck yes I'd go, and I know many of my friends would as well. It's good to get that feedback from someone objective in the field if what you're making is marketable and which work you should focus on in your portfolio.
>>
>>9577888

Agree with >>9577901 , emphasize you're a professional who already works in comics, you'll have people showing up for the chance to make a connection and potentially land a job in the future. You'll probably get a lot of young students who are not skilled enough to table more so than people tabling at AA, so be aware of that. Make sure those kids know what they're getting into, you'll probably make a couple of them cry just by being honest about their work.
>>
>>9577501
Yeah ask about it. I got mine within 48 hours or so.
>>
>>9577888

although a lot of people make 5k.. a lot of people also don't. And if someone only goes to a handful of cons, 5k isn't enough to live well on either. Many people are looking for ways out of con life, i'm sure you'll have a lot of bites.
>>
>>9577594
>>9578003
I keep asking but they keep saying that they're busy. They even made me setup the outline so that they can just check and print samples. But nope all they tell me is "we're busy". I'm starting to think they don't take my order seriously at all because my orders are usually small. I understand they have to prioritize big orders first but I have a con to attend too. I think I really should consider zap or acorn for my next order.
>>
>>9578049
If you consistently do small orders, just use zap especially if vograce isn't actually helping you. Acorn is absolutely fucked right now so don't bother trying them.
>>
>>9578049
Do you mind me asking which agent you talk with on Vograce? Is it Vicky? My friends all use Vicky and they've had problems with her responding late and having them set up the outlines instead.

Coco is usually a fucking sweetheart and has never let me down.
>>
>>9578070
I haven't used Vograce yet, but my sources all tell me to go to Coco.
>>
sigh so my YOI stuff on Etsy just got marked by Funimation for copyright infringement (though it was only one of my three products). I'm guessing there might be a wave coming soon so watch out guys!
>>
>>9578153
I got hit too (one of two products), so I deleted the YOI tags on the other one.
>>
>>9578153
Same, was about to go delete my tags but it was already down.
>>
>>9578153
friend just got it too, yoi as well so good luck everyone else
>>
>>9578153
Thank you for the heads up! I just deleted the yoi tag.
>>
>>9578049
My order was a sample order of 7 charms, puny ass order. I spoke with Coco, like the other anons recommend.
>>
Any updates from that anon who was working on an AA table arrangement tool
>>
>>9578070
I'm >>9577594 and I used to have Vicky. She wasn't replying to my messages though so I jumped onto chat with Rola and everything's been going smoothly since. She set up my files and everything. My orders usually aren't big either (usually around 20 pcs, 50 pcs max).
>>
>>9578308
Coco is my contact. Maybe it's because I have a lot of designs this time (15 designs this time but i usually only have 5 designs). I feel bad pestering Coco but I thought I had emailed her well ahead of time and am frustrated. Is Rola's email rola at [whatever email service they use]? I want to try emailing Rola next time.
>>
>>9578381
I used the trade manager chat thing that Alibaba has. Just make sure that they're online before you message. But yeah, I think that's her email.
>>
>>9578293
Hey there that was me.

Otakon prep has sucked up all of my time. I'll start working on it afterwards.

Will keep you all posted with progress,
>>
>>9578237
>>9578193
>>9578158
>>9578156
>>9578153
What the fuck is wrong with you guys? If the IP holder doesn't want you to sell stuff from the series they hold the right to, TAKE IT DOWN. Don't try to dodge the banwave. You make the rest of us look like fancy bootleggers.
>>
>>9578472
funimation doesn't actually care about the item being sold it self, it doesn't want the names being used because it competes with their own profits. they don't really care if you don't infringe on their trademarks (the names) just like at cons
>>
>>9573525
Can you post source on this? I wanna be super sure before I get attacked for making shit
>>
>>9576179
They send them way faster if you've already bought from them. I'm sure they prioritize return clients.
My first time ordering I picked air mail, and between production and shipping it took a little over a month.
The second time it took like 2 weeks
>>
File: ddadds.png (286KB, 730x996px) Image search: [Google]
ddadds.png
286KB, 730x996px
>>9578504
An artist I follow on Twitter emailed the creators directly and got a positive response. It's been retweeted by other artists a lot.
>>
>>9577888

Well I was kinda wondering what would be best. Be the Gorden Ramsey of Reviews? Be truthful when they're bad and give them tips so they can get better? Or go the "oo this is great! keep at it!" route? I don't want to give bad reviews or whatever. Have the congoers complain I made them cry. But then again, maybe they'll be glad I took a very hard approach with them.

I'm the nicest person ever IRL, but in reviews, there's no room for bullshit. I'll tell really bad artists to not waste my time or theirs and if they really want to try and get published, go practice harder and then usher them out the office.

Don't call me, I'll call you type of thing. I guess for a con out in Ohio I shouldn't be so mean, but those are the people who will waste LOTS of money and time moving to the big city and then get chewed up and spit out. Just trying to save them the anguish.
>>
>>9578671
Be strict, be honest, but do so in a friendly way. Remember that a lot of the people coming through your line are going to be high schoolers, old enough to accept critique but young enough to need encouragement, and probably immature enough to take any rudeness very personally.

You're going to see a LOT of not very good art, but try to be helpful. Give exact advice as to what they need to work on (composition, perspective, anatomy, whatever) instead of a more general dismissal. Even if what they need to work on is basically everything, try to give them a concrete direction to practice in.

If someone comes in with a really thoughtfully laid out portfolio and looks like they're taking it very seriously, you can flat up ask if they would like your general opinions and advice or a more blunt review. In that instance, if they ask for the bluntness they've got no one to blame but themselves.

Take that advice with a grain of salt, of course, but that's how I'd approach it if I were you.
>>
When does Otakon usually post AA table placement? Did I somehow miss the email or announcement?
>>
>>9578671
I agree with >>9578801 - depending on age and maturity, I've seen enough people including myself start out as awful but work hard enough to get into the industry eventually. And I still remember the people who were good to me, and the ones who crossed me.

Most people forget the people in between, but if someone feels you made it personal it can potentially come back to bite you in the ass down the line. So be firm, but be cool about it and don't be a dick.
>>
Does anyone in this thread pay their helpers? I've recently expanded my stock by double what I usually carry and just having my boyfriend as helper isn't really cutting it anymore. I'm looking to ask some of my friends if they'd like to be my helpers, but I want to provide them with some sort of an incentive.

I saw someone say in a previous AA thread that $50 per day + badge + lodgings is the standard? I did that at AX and threw another $100 on top as a bonus since I btoke my record sales there. Is this enough or am I shortchanging thrm? I don't want to insult my friends.
>>
>>9579142
I pay for my helper friend for their badge, travel, hotel, snacks, and if it is a good convention, go out to eat and pay for their meal.
>>
>>9579142
I'd say $70-90/day + badge/splitting hotel if they're there helping you sell all day. If they're only doing food runs, bathroom breaks, and a couple hours of help $50/day + badge/splitting hotel sounds fine. It really depends on if your friend likes conventions in the first place.
>>
>>9579171
>>9579174
Thanks for the input! I also pay for all the meals at the con (lunch + dinner - if they want to buy snacks/other food that is on them) as well as travel (including flights if there are any).
>>
how many of you all fucked up on katsucon apps?

there was a hidden clause where you had to fill in every blank even if it didnt apply to you, you cant resubmit either because they hate that
>>
>>9579306
Where did it say to do that? I thankfully did with "N/A" but I don't remember reading it was required and I read all the rules and tips... At the same time, I have a reading disability though.
>>
>>9579306
Wow. Gonna be fucked up if they're auto rejecting people for that level of bullshit. If you really want people to fill out every spot put it in bold by the app link not under a rules section that isn't even rules
>>
>>9578472
IP holders don't want anyone to sell ANYTHING based on their IP, and half of them don't want anyone to even MAKE anything based on their IP, including free fanart and fic, so think about that next time you sit down to draw your sonic porn.
>>
>>9579306
Source? I've reread the rules multiple times and I didn't see anything bout this.
>>
>>9579365
It's under the why wasn't I accepted section on the main aa page
>>
>>9579367
Good lord. Not putting N/A doesn't automatically make something an "incomplete application". Katsu is fucking ridicuous.
>>
>>9579371
Yep, especially since there's no mention of it in the actual rules. I've sent them an email about it so hopefully get a response back clarifying if that's the case.
>>
>>9579385
Thanks for reaching out to them, anon! Please let us know in the thread if you get a response!

How long does Katsu take to judge anyway? I remember apps went up earlier last year and they sent out emails around September? Does this mean acceptance emails will go out later this year?
>>
>>9579385
hope you don't get blacklisted for being annoying to their sensibilities lol
>>
>>9579421
>>9579418
>>9579385
>>9579371

I found their super long AA rules/guidelines/whydidn'tigetin section really condescending. Why would you want to present the con staff like that?
>>
>>9579425
They must have seen artists complaining about the super condescending "you must be an art god and we just did't notice" section because they removed it from their "Why Didn't I Get In?" section.

You would think that an established con like Katsu wouldn't have this sort of nonsense going on.
>>
>>9579425
Because they love to treat artists like trash? That's them representing themselves, no one is making them look bad except for themselves. They're over grown children, don't expect any better from them.
>>
File: they took out the best part!.jpg (38KB, 748x375px) Image search: [Google]
they took out the best part!.jpg
38KB, 748x375px
>>9579434
oh you mean this amazing section that totally doesn't make them seem like passive aggressive children?
>>
>>9579438
Honestly, all they had to do was get rid of everything but the middle part.

"We are a staff of unpaid volunteers doing our best with family, jobs, and other conventions."

That's all they had to say. Maybe throw in a "Please don't be discouraged and we invite you to apply again next year."
>>
>>9579435
I'm new to the scene and sent in an app to katsucon. They have a history of treating artists badly?? What sort of things have they done before?
>>
>>9579438
Ew... Makes me wonder about what kind of judges they have then... They could have made that sound A LOT more professional.

"We may lack an understanding of the kind of talent you possess, and could have unfortunately missed it within your work as we looked it over. We know that your skills will be accepted during the proper time and place, and we'll regret not having you at our convention."
>>
ITT: Welcome to the Katsucon rejected by invisible rules edition, let us cry
>>
File: IMG_4830.jpg (136KB, 640x1003px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4830.jpg
136KB, 640x1003px
I put "N/A" in the empty fields because of this first clause. I submitted it today, but was it not there earlier?
>>
File: katsupls.png (26KB, 754x290px) Image search: [Google]
katsupls.png
26KB, 754x290px
>>9579477
It's not in their AA rules, anon. They literally only mention it in that "Why Was I Not Accepted?" section which a lot of people could have skipped since they didn't even apply yet. If filling every blank space with N/A is a REQUIREMENT then they should have listed it in the official rules.

There's also conflicting info on the tips pages itself because in this section they list "incomplete applications" as applications that are missing critical info like names, websites, or examples. If they meant incomplete apps = apps with ANY blank spaces, they should have clarified here.
>>
>>9579494
The tips also mention you can submit prettied up tumblrs but the actual form says no tumblr pages so their whole thing is a mess anyway
>>
>>9579359
Huh, it's almost like some people care about the integrity of their work
Imagine that
>>
>>9579494
>>9579321 here,
If I recall, most aa gulls aren't on the east coast. I grew up on the east coast, and all throughout school we were taught to *always* put N/A on every blank of any kind of application as if it is a law. So maybe katsucon thinks this is common knowledge and assumes everyone knows to do this if it is an east coast thing.
>>
Question about patreon. What do patrons see when they fund in terms of name? Is it like PayPal where they get to see your real name, or do they see your patreon name/url?
>>
>>9579171
this is pretty much exactly what i did for AX
the friend wouldnt have been able to afford to attend otherwise and they got to leave for gatherings and stuff so it all worked out.
>>
>>9579512
It's not even their work though, the company they make it for owns them and anything the produce
>>
>>9579578
They see your real name and address, which is why most people setup and LLC with its own PO Box so they don't have to worry.
>>
>>9579661
God that sucks so much. I've had a bad history before with people getting my address... Where I'm from a p.o. box is around $60/month, and I feel like I could maybe make $50/month at most with a patreon as I have no social media following thank to not having the stamina for it due to chronic illness.

I even use a pen name... Not wanting my real name to be known.
>>
>>9579514
I'm from the east coast (still live here now) and I was never taught this by anyone.

>>9579385
Good luck, my friend and I had sent them a couple emails over the last week or so to clarify shit ahead of time and we never got any responses. I had to go bother their social media page to get an answer. I hope they don't actually reject applications with blank sections, my friend forgot to put in N/A for the extra artists part since she's obviously not a studio. Their communication is pretty lacking.
>>
>>9579306
I fucked up like that...sent them two emails over the course of this week with no response whatsoever.
Thankfully I have animeMilwaukee lined up as a backup if things don't work out but I've never been and I'm kind of nervous about it sales wise versus katsu being my highest grossing con ever.
>>
>>9579438
wow, wtf

>>9579477
So did they not make all fields required or something? Why not make it impossible to submit unless everything has been filled in? I wouldn't have though to fill in a blank that wasn't relevant to me. I don't understand why that would be a requirement.
>>
>>9579928
I also don't understand why the form isn't set up so that you get a confirmation email when you hit "submit". It's so nerve wracking.
>>
>>9578942
I emailed them a week ago and they said they are still working on it. They're cutting it really close and I'm not surprised since its seems to be pretty disorganized this year.
>>
>>9579935
I hate that so much too. How can they not even set up a form correctly?
>>
>>9579306
If this was the case, they could easily set the google form to make every question mandatory, wtf katsu
>>
>>9579955
It wasn't even a Google form, I think it was generated by some ms office app.
>>
>>9579938
having known some of the staff i wouldn't be surprised if it was on purpose. It's an easy way for them to just delete half the apps, and if the artist has no proof of what they sent in there's no way they can argue with the staff over anything.
>>
>never got a reply email from Katsucon
>missed anime boston app
>waitlisted to magfest in 2 hours.

Well my con circuit for 2018 is a fucking joke at this point.
>>
>>9580237
Anime Boston hasn't even gone up yet anon, chill
>>
>>9580237
God damnit... I didn't realize AB is closed. I'm guessing that we shouldn't trust the con lost in op then? It said registration would open in Nov. Ugh
>>
File: 0.png (44KB, 950x357px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
44KB, 950x357px
>>9580237
>>9580268
>>
>>9580268
the list is dated and no one really has been updating it until very recently
>>
File: Capture.png (12KB, 781x358px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
12KB, 781x358px
>>9580264
>>9580268
>>9580311
>>
>>9580356
how
>>
>>9580362
it hasn't opened. but if you guys all wanna give up and give us an easier time go ahead lol
>>
>>9580362
>>9580368
go to home> artist> Artist alley application. that's what comes up.

I sent them an email asking about it.
>>
>>9580372
yea it's probably a typo. look i don't know if you just have no aa friends outside of cgl or something, but literally no one has signed up for AB yet so stop freaking out.
>>
>>9580376
i'm not the one freaking out about it, but I can see where things can be confusing. The website has 2 pages that contradict eachother. As I said above, I sent them an email, and if they message me back, i'll post in here with any specific dates.
>>
>>9580237
There are more than just 3 cons on the east coast you can sign up for you know...
>>
Has anyone here successfully asked for the extra white layer for clear charms from Vograce? I want to ask for it myself, but I think I remember reading somewhere that people kept having trouble trying to explain what it was to them.
>>
>>9580435
I have and had no issues.
>>
>>9580435
I have, although it's started to cost extra for me so I opted out. Didn't notice anything too different between the ones with it and without it.
>>
>>9580435
I got a set of charms with extra white through Vicky in June and they turned out fine. The only thing I had to differently was put "extra_white" in the file name. I like how they turned out, only the darkest lines are visible through the ink when held up to the light.
>>
Has anyone done stationery sets? I've seen sticky notes and memo pads but have y'all ever packaged them with stickers and envelopes? Would you say fans like the envelopes or is it unnecessary?
>>
>>9580237
>waitlisted to MAGfest in 2 hours
Seriously? What time did you send in your application, that's insane.
>>
>>9580569
Nayrt but I sent in my app around 1:30 (about an hour and a half after apps opened) and also got waitlisted.
>>
>>9580574
I submitted at 12:30 and was fine. It would be funny if we could figure out the exact moment it hit 500 applications.
>>
>>9580574
I'm the anon asking, I submitted at 12:56 est. I was worried it'd fill up but I wasn't super fast to apply. I didn't get a waitlist email, holy shit I'm so thankful.
>>
>>9580569
>>9580609
I submitted it at 2.
>>
>>9580609
I submitted at 1:15 and there was a header on the app saying everything was waitlist now, but I didn't get a waitlist email
>>
>>9580649
Shit now I'm worried I didn't make the cut off even without the waitlist email.
>>
I can't believe Mag filled up so fast this year. It wasn't as competitive last year at all.
>>
>>9580464
>>9580550
Has anyone gotten complaints for not having extra white? Black lines are definitely see through but they're only noticeable if you hold the, up to the light. Even then it doesn't bother me but I don't know what customers would think. I definitely don't want to do extra white if it costs extra.
>>
>>9580720
Customers don't really care most of the time. I'll get a picky customer like... one time out of the entire year and I do like 20+ cons a year.
>>
>>9580720
It bothers me personally. I would rather get single sided charms or the same image on both sides, as opposed to having the back bleed into the front. I don't think most customers care though, so I guess it's up to your personal standards.
>>
>>9579512
I thought Funi released an official statement a while back that was basically "Don't use names or logos and we're good."
>>
>>9580711
that's because in their infinite wisdom Vendors and AA use the same form for the market place
>>
>>9581205
There is no aa.
>>
>>9581209
congrats on understanding what implying
>>
>>9580711
IIRC, they left Marketplace applications open for the whole weekend last year, but there wasn't a cap.
>>
>>9579438
This is so unprofessional. I can't imagine what it has to be like to staff for a con this negatively minded and rude. I know what it's like to staff juried AA, it's a trainwreck no matter what, but the difficulty of the process doesn't excuse this demeanor. It can't be fun to work for that con if everyone acts and talks the way this is written.
>>
>>9581205
I know that. I tabled last year. It doesn't change the fact that apps didn't fill up so fast before.

It's a gamble because there is no AA. You can be put next to a vendor selling video games or next to someone who does raffles. I've had friends whose tables were completely blocked off by people lining up for vendors tabling next to them.
>>
File: Classic-Lolita.jpg (179KB, 452x700px) Image search: [Google]
Classic-Lolita.jpg
179KB, 452x700px
Afternoon AAG,

I was hoping to get some feedback on a set of prints I'm working on for Otakon.

Right now I've finished 3 of 6 lolita themed prints but the more I look back on the the more "boring" they tend to look. I'm going for a simple look for all of them with generally flat coloring but I feel they won't be very appealing to con goers.

What do you think? Pic related is an example of how they all look just with a different girl/lolita style.
>>
File: edit.jpg (204KB, 452x700px) Image search: [Google]
edit.jpg
204KB, 452x700px
>>9581478
This is really cute anon! For me, it's the colors that aren't really working. I think the pose and the outfit is really well done.

I'd turn up the saturation on the girl a little because the shadows are coming off a little grey even on the bodice of the dress itself. I threw a soft warm overlay over her face for ~atmosphere~. I think the background is really adding to the drabness so I think a light pink or something to really bring out the pinks in her dress would be cute. Or some other contrasting color because the grey/white background sort of just blends in with the white part of her dress and makes the entire image washed out.

If you wanted, I think adding text could be cute too! A phrase in French maybe? It could be styled like brand postcards. I think it looks fine as is though if you didn't want to clutter it up with words.
>>
>>9581478
I would say get some textures in there or something, it's a good concept but it's missing a lot execution wise. The hand on the violin needs work. Overall I would say the problem is almost entirely in the coloring, it's a very cute lineart, but the shading feels awkward and the colors don't look right, she looks a little dead.
I like the idea of generic lolita prints and I feel like they would appeal to people looking for art to decorate their house/room without being fandomy, but work on the color and textures, I would suggest pushing more of that vintage feel a lot of lolita art has color/texture wise
>>
I have this fan who spends $100+ on my store every month, always stops by my booth, and they reply to every single post I make. What would you do in this situation? I feel scared but also grateful someone enjoys my work so much. Thoughts?
>>
File: WhydoIdothingsatthelastminute.jpg (930KB, 1489x721px) Image search: [Google]
WhydoIdothingsatthelastminute.jpg
930KB, 1489x721px
>>9581493
>>9581492
Thank you so much for the feedback! I had a feeling the coloring was the issue.

I went in and tweaked the image with the suggestions you gave me. What do you think?

Also for comparison here are the other two completed ones.
>>
>>9581629
Damn, I wasn't sure how much I'd like these having only seen the first one. The other two look great to me, although I think the goth's back leg is blending too much into the background.
I like the textures but I feel like it's weird having those things in the classic one when the other two don't have that type of background element. Taking that out and putting the little border around the frame in the other prints would make the series look more cohesive.
>>
File: Sarah_Chang_0.jpg (906KB, 1902x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Sarah_Chang_0.jpg
906KB, 1902x1078px
>>9581478

It should be flipped. The girl's left hand should hold the violin and her right should hold the bow. The violin should touch lower down on her jaw.

(pic related)
>>
>>9581629
Holy shit, anon I LOVE the other two. I'm a fan of the texture in the gothic one but not so much of the texture on the classic. I don't think you need to add the cakes/teaset either.

If you went with the texture in the gothic for all three with outline on the frames all three would look amazing as a set!
>>
I usually buy a sample from zap and open preorders with pictures but I want to try opening preorder without having actual product pictures this time to save time. I've seen artists do it with art previews only but I'm not sure if that only works for popular artists.
>>
>>9581655
Nah, it works pretty great especially if you're making something for a dedicated fandom.
>>
>>9581654
>>9581652
>>9581648
Thanks for all your help. You all are the best. I had a feeling the classic lolita was the weakest one of the 3 and the replies pretty much confirm it.
>>
>>9581339
I've got a fun little horror story about that happening.

I signed up for Retro World Expo, a small, 2nd year convention in Connecticut. It was supposed to have a separate artist alley from the main vendors, which took up 90% of the floorspace.

Either they didn't get enough vendors or some dropped out last minute (idk, the volunteers were kept completely in the dark.) So in their infinite wisdom decided to take several of the artists and move them around to fill up spaces. I was put directly across from a big game vendor and to the left of another vendor (i don't remember what they were selling) I got absolutely no foot traffic. I made 100$ total that weekend.

5 or so artists were placed right next to eachother and that created a pseudo-artist alley, they earned the most out of the artists.

One artist was actually put upstairs by the exit to the tabletop gaming room, for the entire first day not a single person stopped by them. The 2nd day they moved downstairs to an empty table (either didn't fill up or an artist who gave up, the guy to my left didn't show up on the 2nd day either.)
>>
>>9581629
I love these.

What are your plans for the other 3?
>>
>>9581751
Yikes that's so unfortunate. I'm sorry that happened to you anon. At the last MAGfest, my friend was next to a video game vendor who would not redirect their lines and so there was a huge line blocking her table off from everyone else. There was also a vendor near us who decided to do a lottery/auction type deal and a huge crowd blocked off an entire aisle. I was at the very least closer to the front of the hall but my AA friends who ended up in the back next to mostly vendors and convention tables did pretty bad. Even some of the more internet famous/popular artists I know were having a slow con and were on their phones/computers the entire weekend.

I'm just surprised apps for MAG filled up so fast this year since a lot of people who went last year seemed to have a bad time. It'd be a better con if they separated artists and vendors in the same hall.
>>
>>9581755
Thank you!

Country Lolita
Sailor Lolita
Hime Lolita
>>
>>9581604
>I feel scared
scared?
>>
>>9581604
Why the fuck do you feel scared? Someone being a big fan isn't scary. Also, $100 to them is likely $1 to you. I have quite a few fans who are "big" spenders for my table but they're really just big spenders in general.
>>
>>9581774
Oh man.. I really can't wait to see Country and Sailor! Those are my two favorite substyles. I wish I was going to Ota, I'd buy the heck out of these.
>>
>>9581757
It always sucks when an artist does poor at a con. Retro World Expo was the first con where I didn't make any profit, I just broke even. I did really well at Ctcon this year and so did the person who I shared my booth with (it was her first con as a vendor). and from what I heard from other artists it seems like they all did really well too.

I applied to magfest but I got the waitlist, pretty early like a lot of other people. I'm hearing all the horror stories about it which is a bit frightening, but I also know it's opened for 24 hrs, and I dont sleep much so I can spend most of my time at the booth. I dunno how many people buy art shit at 2 in the morning but if people would stop by to play some mario kart or something I'd have no issue.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (95KB, 787x1216px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
95KB, 787x1216px
>>9581629
Having muted colours in a lineless style is difficult to execute well. You're lacking contrast, some shapes aren't reading well at all. Some of it's bleeding into the background (skirt on sweet girl, leg and sleeves on goth girl).
I'd say experiment a little more with where you need to place lines and not.
I like the colour schemes, they remind me of Imai Kira. They're just difficult to get to work without lines.

Don't get rid of the green background on the classic girl btw, it made the set feel more rounded. Just darken it a bit from what you originally had. I'm a sucker for muted green and pink.
>>
>>9581604
Has she set off any other red flags for you, anon? Other than being a higher spender than your average customer and being more engaged on social media, has she said or done anything to make you feel uncomfortable or threatened? Like, what kind of stuff does she say on your social media?
>>
>>9581858
Was that supposed to be a muted green? I definitely just read it as grey. Muted green would look really cute together with pink!

>>9581856
It being open 24 hours is another big concern for artists just because you have to make sure to secure your belongings. It's a bit of a party con so there are definitely drunk people wandering about. They're less like to buy yours stuff at 2 am and more likely looking for things to do while drunk.
>>
>>9581868
Ah alright, thanks for that info. I'm totally fine with working longer hours (one of my complaints about ctcon was the artist alley was only opened for 8 hrs.) but I'll that in mind.
>>
>>9577501
They sent me my outlines but somehow a 3 inch charm became a 4.2 inch charm. They're now arguing with me that that's because of the border and that it's somehow my fault and I'm just so annoyed. A border + hole can't be more than .5 inches. They're not understanding what I'm saying at all and they're getting mad at me and I'm just tempted to drop them all together. It's so not worth the stress.
>>
Do people strongly prefer full-bleed prints? I have art that's 2:3 aspect ratio but my printer doesn't do full-bleed on 12x18 prints.

However, if I scale down to fit a 11x17, I can do full-bleed for the same cost as a 12x18 with 1/8" white border on all sides. The 11x17 will be slightly cropped though due to the aspect ratio change.

tl;dr--12x18 w/ 1/8" white border, or 11x17 full-bleed w/ slight cropping?
>>
>>9582178
In this case I would go with the slight crop. People do buy prints with a white border, but in this case the border would be so thin around the image it would look strange rather than purposeful.
>>
Anyone have experience in commercial work? I just got offered a commission and I'm unsure what would be "too high/too low". It would be digital work and will include (mostly) full body & background. Is there a general price range I should be following or should I just charge a little more than I usually would for a regular commission? Feel free to share your own stories, because I'm new to this.
>>
>>9582565
This is something you're going to have an easier time google-ing. Largely depends on format, usage rights, work hours, and how you're going to handle revisions.
>>
>>9582565
I charge by hour on all of my work plus a $50 flat rate, but I give the price up-front. It makes more sense in practice, so here's an example:

I charge $25 an hour for illustrations. Someone wants me to draw a full body of their character with a background. The character is simple and so is the background. This whole thing will take three hours tops. That's $75 plus my $50 flat rate. Now, I don't let my customers see the behind the scenes in my pricing just because that causes all sorts of problems. Instead, we end up with a pricing sheet like:

- Headshot: $75 (One hour + $50 flat rate)
- Full body: $100 (Two hours + $50 flat rate)
- Full body with a background: $125 (Three hours + $50 flat rate)
- Complex character full body: $150 (Four hours + $50 flat rate)
and so on

This is how my system is set up. Feel free to steal it. It has been great for me.
>>
File: shipping.png (153KB, 338x255px) Image search: [Google]
shipping.png
153KB, 338x255px
Shipping question: So far I've been charging $2.62 for shipping via USPS small parcel domestic for charms/pins. My friend on twitter just bought a bunch of pins and her shipping was $1.19. Am I getting overcharged for shipping? Or should I use a different shipping option?
>>
File: 06a.png (242KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
06a.png
242KB, 510x346px
I get to share a table with someone at a local comic con that's coming up. My stock is almost solely japanese media, but I have some western video game prints. Is there any niche I should focus on to bulk up my stock? I only need to make back about $250, but I'd like to use the opportunity to expand what I have.
>>
>>9582772
It says large envelope anon. There you go.
>>
Anyone else get fucked by AX registration?
>>
>>9582776
AH I'm retarded. thanks.
>>
>>9582784
Not a returning artist so I couldn't reg this round but several my friends either 1) wanted a double but couldn't get it because it wasn't listed initially, or 2) wanted a single but they were gone so quick that all that was left were the doubles that went up later.
>>
>>9582795
Any idea how quickly they sold out?
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (12KB, 577x100px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
12KB, 577x100px
>>9582797
I'm not sure about the singles but I know one person who missed out on the singles, but was still able to buy a double ~13 minutes after registration went up.

Anyway, have you guys seen this?
>>
Has anybody got anything about Crunchyroll Expo? It's less then a month and I haven't gotten shit.
>>
>>9582773
Overwatch sells like hot cakes.

Memes sell too. Sell out and rake in that cash.
>>
>>9582804
What was the last email you got? My friend got confirmation of getting in at the end of June.
>>
>>9582663
Thank you so much, this is all very helpful! I was thinking about just giving a flat rate initially, but was told by a friend I should price out things at an hourly rate too, but didn't know how to implement that without it looking weird to the customer. I'll definitely keep this system as a reference. Thank you again!
>>
>>9582800
I've been seeing some people on my TL buying 2 singles because the double tables were not available to them. I think I even saw one person buy both a single and a double? Curious how AX will handle all of this.
>>
How did the option to buy two single tables even come up? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the packages? I wonder if AX will honor those purchases since they technically only have a certain amount of double tables available.
>>
>>9582850
complicated problems because some people were also forced to buy double packages because singles were unavailable, those "double tables" are effectively two singles in reality.
>>
If you guys clicked through on time and didn't see any double-packges show up, please send an email to the AA staff. They're actively asking for details on Twitter after they tried to act like nothing was wrong and it was just due to demand. An artist pointed out the system error so if a lot of artists speak up about it, they're more likely to do something about it.
>>
>>9582773
if it's a comic con I would do some cute animal shit (at least cats & dogs) to appeal to normies
>>
At this point I'm starting to wonder why non-juried AAs don't just implement the same system that SDCC does with their little waiting room lottery. At the bare minimum, it cuts down on the stress of both people applying and the system trying to handle a bunch of requests at once.
>>
>>9582804
They've been sending things like electrical requests and (carpet requests?) for those selected, if you haven't gotten those yet, I guess that's a no go?
>>
File: yikes ax.jpg (97KB, 1037x743px) Image search: [Google]
yikes ax.jpg
97KB, 1037x743px
>>9582896
Probably because it costs money to set up?

AX is doubling down HARD on their system error and saying that it was just due to demand. Demand doesn't make an entire package option not show up.
>>
File: rip ax.jpg (83KB, 864x444px) Image search: [Google]
rip ax.jpg
83KB, 864x444px
>>9582923
AX made it sound like they were going to do something if people emailed them. Way to get people's hopes up and then give them the standard old "oh well" response.
>>
File: AX_Tables.png (50KB, 764x370px) Image search: [Google]
AX_Tables.png
50KB, 764x370px
There hasn't been any word on when regular artist alley registration will be up yet right? Someone on twitter said Nov 1 which seems really far compared to returning artist registration.
>>
>>9582986
Eventbrite page said Nov 1 if I remember correctly!

Now AX is saying you can't buy two singles so everyone who did that today is Fucked.
>>
>>9582989
Where are you seeing the thing about them fucking over anyone who bought two singles? I'm on their twitter and don't see any new replies. Also thanks for confirming November 1st!
>>
>>9582877
2nd this. And anything with a kawaii • ◡ • face appeals to normies.
>>
>>9583113
Unrelated but I'm really into miniature food and boy does it piss me off when people ruin their sculpts by giving them that face
>>
>>9582813
It's been Exhibitor shit, like carpets and tables.

I don't even have a boe license yet because I don't have an event group name or address.
>>
>>9583003
They've been responding to artists via email. A couple of artists on Twitter and FB posted about getting responses and they were all told they would be refunded for the second table because it's not allowed.

It's fucked up because they're not releasing an official statement so there's no transparency. People are finding out from other artists that this is what they decided to do.
>>
>>9583194
>event group name
you never need a name for CA permits

>address
its on the site fa m
>>
>>9583340
the convention floor is on the address.

You need a ground name and address for the convention itself. Santa Clara convention is not the group hosting.
>>
>>9583201
There's so much delicious salt over this right now. Kind of expected though, did these artists really think they'd be allowed to use that loophole of getting two tables? Did it specifically say "quantity: 2" or did they just go back into queue and buy another one?
>>
File: 48706192_p0.jpg (825KB, 1000x707px) Image search: [Google]
48706192_p0.jpg
825KB, 1000x707px
Do you guys have any experience with how customers feel about horizontal prints? I almost never see them in the artist alley.

Pic semi-related, rei_17 is the only artist I've seen who offers multiple prints like this.
>>
>>9584057
I try to do both, but people seem to buy portrait prints more.
>obligatory "im a britbong so america might be different" comment
>>
>>9584057
Like portrait prints it depends on the composition. Horizontal works good for multiple characters as opposed to single characters.

11x17 is more of a portrait oriented aspect ratio to me since it looks extra long horizontally.
>>
>>9584057
>>9584057
I also do both and I'm American. I would say portraits sell better in my experience, but after pushing two of my newer designs into a horizontal print it seems like it doesn't actually matter. My prints aren't the type you'd want to stick in a frame.

I'm a weirdo who like playing Print Tetris on my wall, so I wish more artists would offer horizontal or nonstandard dimensions to their prints so I can fit more. But I also know it's a hassle to display them in the AA.
>>
>>9584057

I'm pretty sure it does't matter so long as the print fits right. People just do vertical because it's easier to keep all their prints the same orientation for print walls, and since most people would want to do at least a couple portrait prints, it makes sense to stick to them as all vertical.

I have prints in both and in the end the design always determines what sells.
>>
I'm curious to know if there's a potential audience for stuff that is cute but not pink/pastel/covered in sweets or plastered in sexy anime chicks. I'm thinking of making generic ghost story and military themed merch.
>>
>>9585259
What exactly do you mean with "military themed"? Are you gonna put smiley uguu faces on tanks?
Cute military girls have been and always will be stupid popular with dudes, but at the same time might garner "muh problematic" reactions from others.
>>
>>9585283
My veteran friend wants a postcard of a girl in uniform, in the middle of loading a rifle, and staring down a huge spider. Not sure if that counts as "problematic."
>>
>>9585312
People will think it's problematic just for being military-related, honestly, and will have all different reasons for it depending on the country.
That, though, sounds like it wouldn't raise any eyebrows from people who don't just generally get salty at that theme, especially because the enemy's not human.
>>
>>9585312
I don't think anyone would care.

I also don't think it's going to sell regardless.
>>
>>9585312
I think a cute girl in military uniform with that action sounds like it'd do just fine, especially at a smaller print size where it's not a big purchase.

I don't really get the huge spider thing though. If your vet friend is deadset on the spider, you might want to just do a one off print or alter the art for convention sales.
>>
>>9585418
nyart but from what my some of my vet friends say, one of the scariest parts of Iraq was the gigantic spiders.
>>
>>9585528
Okay.
>>
File: WhydoIdothingsatthelastminute.jpg (2MB, 2389x721px) Image search: [Google]
WhydoIdothingsatthelastminute.jpg
2MB, 2389x721px
Last time I'll be posting about this I promise.

I finished 2 more of the lolita series (decided not to do Hime due to time restraints) and added some textures to give it a more vintage feel as an anon mentioned

Also fixed the classic lolita's violin position.

Anything else I could possibly work on before I send these to get printed?

Your advice really helped me out last time and I super appreciated it.
>>
>>9582804
If u haven't gotten any email by now you didn't get in
>>
File: sat.png (24KB, 266x536px) Image search: [Google]
sat.png
24KB, 266x536px
>>9585787
I still think the green on violin lolita is too grey, if you compare it to the blue on sailor lolita, it is super desaturated. Not saying you should go all the way - but maybe halfway between where it is now and where blue is?
>>
>>9585787
need more ouji
>>
>>9586162
I agree with this too, though I feel maybe a red/pink tone for the background may fit better for violin lolita? Seems a bit out of place compared to the other pics to me.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-04-14-12-00.png (1MB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-04-14-12-00.png
1MB, 720x1280px
Off topic but here we go again with the infamous melly and her usual AA shenanigans. She sure is trying to get herself famous for all of the wrong reasons.
>>
>>9586513
What the fuck haha. What's the convention?
>>
Melly at metro con doing this...
>>
>>9586513
Holy shit. I didn't even see this. I guess at least she raised her prices to $10 instead of $5 though. I don't know if she meant well but this kind of comes off condescending to other artists.

>>9586519
MetroCon.
>>
Is this is just pure naivety or what. The pity money is a bit too much. What is she going to do with the spare money though?
>>
>>9586519
I think it's metrocon, or something similar to that.
>>
>>9586525
Raised her prices to $10 but it doesn't even matter. I could go to her table and grab a ten from the tip jar to pay or just give her $1 and say it's all the cash I have.

>>9586532
Do you think her tip jar is going to make up for the people who will pay less than her list price? I think she doesn't give a shit about artist alley which is her choice I guess. Does she have a job apart from patreon?
>>
>>9586513
okay yeah she can price her prints whatever she wants but this tipping mechanic is actually problematic
>>
>>9586513
Oh no. I know her in person. She is so sweet, but so goddamn naive. I don't doubt that she has only the best intentions with this, but this is just such a bad idea.
>>
>>9586513
I don't know...I don't think the tip jar money's going to last nearly long enough for it to make an actual dent in anybody else's sales. Without the "pay what you want" stipulation, which I agree is pretty naive to advertise, I feel like it's just silly rather than dangerous.
What happens when it all gets used up on Friday -- which it probably has?
>>
>>9586696
Despite her good intentions, I think this whole tip jar and "pay what you want" thing is only advocating a wrong message to congoers in general. This whole sunshine charity thing isn't helping and even devaluing art more than it already is. I don't think she is going in the right direction at all and I hope she realizes that what she is doing is only hurting not only herself but the art community. If she doesn't wake up soon she will make an enemy of every artist she cons with.
>>
>>9586677
She had "the best intentions" at the last few cons she price gouged other artists at though. People tried to explain to her then that she was severely underpricing herself and her art skills, but she just said she'd been out of the AA scene for so long that she didn't know common price points.
Raising her large prints from $5 to $10 for metrocon just tells me she either thinks her art isn't worth much or that she was bullshitting when she said take everyone's advice to heart to get people to leave her alone. Either way, kind of dumb.

Have none of her actual friends tried to explain the situation to her privately or does she not have art community friends?
>>
>>9586543
She's just being really naive and I honestly don't think everyone is a saint. I've heard stories of artists who have gotten their stuff stolen right from under their eyes.. Sure she doesn't have to careless about tabling but I feel like she is disrespecting the hard work and effort of other artist's who are treating AA seriously..

Who knows if she has a job or not. She seems to have a well paying job from the looks of it.
>>
>>9586718
Being out of the AA scene for a long time doesn't seem like a valid excuse for that though. It's 2017 and she has access to so much information on the internet. Simply googling "how much do prints cost AA" would keep her up to date. Even those who haven't gotten the experience or knowledge of tabling know more than her. She isn't being very bright.

If she does have friends then the info is going through her very slowly..
>>
>>9586718
She can price her art at whatever she wants to, though. A lot of people simply don't care about the profits and want to sell art for fun. It's why they do AAs as hobby artists and don't really sell art outside of that. I don't think it was appropriate for people to keep bugging her about raising her prices. People should be able to price a 4x6 at $50 and a giant poster at $1 if they want to.

>Have none of her actual friends tried to explain the situation to her privately or does she not have art community friends?
No one outside of /cgl/ has had a huge issue with her from what I've seen.
>>
At the end of the day we are all selling Chinese cartoon fan art. Artists Alleys are not as serious as /cgl/ makes them out to be. For a lot of people, it is a fun way to make extra cash and not their job.
>>
>>9586749
I don't mind either way, I don't table at any of the cons she goes to. I do think you're right about it being inappropriate to badger her for 3 days at the last con she went to and price points being up to the artist. People should've tried approaching her after AA closed for the day. I do think it was pretty rude that she didn't try to manage her table crowd so it didn't affect her neighbors. I'm basically a hobby artist too, and one of the best things about AA for me is making art friends. The easiest way I've seen to make sure no one talks to you is to price gouge and ignore advice. Either way, I'm just making neutral observations since I'm unaffected by her tabling practices.

>No one outside of /cgl/ has had a huge issue with her from what I've seen.
/cgl/ is just a bunch of people taking advantage of anonymity to vent though. It's not surprising to not see people bitching about it when their name is attached.
>>
>>9586513
I don't think that selling her art at $10 is that big of a deal. Especially since for many artists if you buy in bulk of a certain amount of their choosing, eventually they will offer a deal that will get you down to $10 or so. So the earth still moves, and I don't think it's devaluing her art or gouging other artists. Like >>9586749 said, some people do it as a hobby and don't have to give a shit of how you chose to make your living.

The tip jar thing is really weird though. I've seen tip jars in AA before, but not like this. When businesses have a concept like this, it's a place for people to unload their change, and later to help people that are like 10 cents short, not whole bills. The concept is lost in AA, because in our situation it would be retarded to lose a sale because someone is 25 cents shy because we have the power to make deals while a cashier at the convenience store doesn't. Though I am at a loss how it got so full. I can't read the side which may give further insight, but I can't see people putting money in there for weeb strangers, so did she put it in there? Either way, I just know it's going to get raided so someone can buy a figure or food because they overspent. No one has to take money JUST for other artists or they get branded for life or something.
>>
File: tips.png (2MB, 1800x900px) Image search: [Google]
tips.png
2MB, 1800x900px
>>9586786
Pics from her twitter.
>>
File: IMG_20170804_143051.jpg (364KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170804_143051.jpg
364KB, 1536x2048px
>>9586786
I am just another hobby artist as well and I sell art for funs but I've seen so many of my artist friends being stepped over for pricing themselves so low. It's just the mentality of it all that gets me a little fired.

This is all I have of the side of the jar. I'm not sure how it got so full either. Maybe she did put some of her money in there
>>
>>9586804
I was referring to when she priced her prints at $5. She can price however she wants and she doesn't have to care what we have to say about her.
>>
>>9586793
>>9586804
Thanks guys. Sadly it doesn't solve the mystery of why there's so much money in there, but it was still nice to be able to read more than a couple lines regardless.

>>9586804
Yeah I know what you mean. In DA days I seen way too many teenagers price their shit for literal pennies with that stupid DA points thing. In turn it made anyone price anything near decent look like a rip off. On the other hand of things, I have been in situations where people price something similar to myself for cheaper and it sucks. Still, my point is that in the end of the day, even if it is naive, it is still their own decision and pricing. Being able to decide your own prices is one of the glory, and occasionally downside, of artist alley. No one HAS to account for other people when making their own prices
>>
>>9586822
She posted that picture at 3PM today so it's entirely possible that with yesterday's 8 hours and today's 5 hours people could've donated that much. I'd honestly be surprised if more than a few weebs took a substantial amount of money from it while there were people around.
>>
>>9586793
"feel free to take money from our tip jar to buy other artists' prints"
well, don't mind if I do
>>
>>9586874
This feels like next level cucking, something I never thought I'd say about artist alley.
>>
>>9586874
>>9586513

I've never seen the saying "artists make shitty business people" ring more true as I do here. You usually see problems like undercharging, completely overcharging, not bringing near enough change, being completely out of touch of what customers want, stuff like that, but this... this is on its own level.

desu, I am almost in awe at the logic and not in a good way.
>>
>>9586832
>implying people donated that much
That's a very small possibility. I'd wager that if anyone's actually been donating, it's her filling it back up with her own proceeds.
>>
>>9586928
Sooo she's buying stuff from other artists without actually buying stuff from other artists? Neat!
>>
>>9586944
Uhhhh??? I just mean that it's unlikely that the tip jar is being replenished in any substantial capacity by anyone but her. On the dealer's floor, how many people are going to donate more than a dollar or two, out of the very few who would donate at all? That's money that could be used to buy actual stuff.
>>
>>9586944
>>9586928
So
>customer buys something of hers
>she puts that money into tip jar
>customer buys something of hers with tip money
>she puts that money back into tip jar
>rinse and repeat
>>
>>9586804
How does she even afford to do cons doing stuff like this...?
>>
>>9586751
This. Also, can we just stop giving her attention? At this point I don't care what she chooses to do with her art and money, I'm tired of seeing her pop up in these threads because everything about her adds absolutely fuck all to our collective experience and knowledge about AA.
>>
Hey guys, anyone here ever gotten their Vograce package stuck in US customs for a really long time, and how long did it take?

Debating whether I should take the risk for SF Intl Line or just shovel out the extra $80 for the DHL to make it by the end of August...they can both make it with lots of breathing room if customs doesn't shit on all my plans, but I'm really paranoid right now.
>>
>>9587181
I have never had any package stuck in US customs for a long time, and I have been ordering some less than legal goods online. US customs is a joke. Did something happen to make you paranoid?
>>
>>9586718
If she literally doubled her print price, how is that not taking peoples advice to heart? I wish people would fucking leave her alone and let her charge what she wants.
>>
>>9587678
I feel like this is an unpopular opinion but desu I don't think the average print is worth a lot more then 10 dollars anyway.
>>
>>9587700
I completely agree. $15-25 is way too much for a print that costs less than a dollar to print out. And "ooooh but it's the artists time spent making it!" problem with that is that artist will sell that exact print at 10 conventions every summer for years and years until the fandom dies.
>>
>>9587708
Agreed, I've seen so many artists who will sell the same old print for years on end, for that same price until it doesn't sell and they retire it. Don't get me wrong, if it works why change it, but acting like a $10 print is a crime is just ridiculous.
>>
new thread: >>9587735
>>
So I'm planning on going to Fanime next year, but they say "proxy selling" is not allowed.

I'm planning on going with a friend as a circle. In the case that either of us can't make it, can we sell the other's stuff? We're registering as one circle and sharing the table.

Does it still count as "proxy"?
>>
>>9588169
I doubt that would be an issue, but why don't you ask them instead of posting on an anonymous bhutanese tapestry board?
Thread posts: 377
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.