[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /cgl/. Got a question. I've been doing cosplay photography

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 8cxti4apaf2z.jpg (152KB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
8cxti4apaf2z.jpg
152KB, 720x900px
Hey, /cgl/.

Got a question. I've been doing cosplay photography for a while now, and I was wondering if there would be a market for photographers selling prints at artist alley? 've seen cosplayers do it, but never shutterbugs.

Obviously, I'd get all the necessary permission from the cosplayers in question, and give all appropriate credit. I've got a really big portfolio, not just cosplay, but for a con I think the focus would be fan oriented stuff.

Thoughts?
>>
>permission
>credit
Yeah no, that wouldn't work. Even cosplayers who sell their prints don't credit the photographers then go sell them. They have to pay the photographer for the sessions, sign a contract, and then they can go sell prints.

You'd have to do the same. You'd have to pay the cosplayers for modeling for you, get them to sign away monetary rights to their image, and then sell the prints but even then the market would be incredibly small for people wanting to buy random prints of random cosplayers.
>>
>>9564488
What would be better is if it was a little studio stall where a cosplayer can get their photo taken professionally and printed for, I dunno, $15?
Obviously that would require a lot more space but I imagine it would be a lot more popular.

Unfortunately I've patented this idea so don't even think about stealing it.
>>
>>9564494
Dude I see booths do this at every con, you're not the only person to ever do this.
>>
>>9564488

Right, right. I have a few cosplayer friends who I'm pretty sure would be okay with me doing it with their pics, once they checked the ones I'd be selling. It's the audience I'm more concerned with.

>>9564494

I've seen those at every con.
>>
>>9564488
There are usually free versions of this at cons. You get a free pic the con can use for promotional material.
Also good luck trying to convince people to pay you 15 bucks so you can sell prints of them
>>
OP I think the issue with your idea is that congoers don't usually bother with prints of cosplayers unless it's a cosplay guest or someone they recognize, or if there's intense editing/manipulation that makes it look more like a piece of art than just a portrait of a random person.

You would have to figure out your target audience and what they would want, on top of all the permissions from the cosplayers themselves.
>>
>>9564516
Meant to reply to
>>9564494
>>
I doubt there would be a market for unknown cosplayers photos (unless the cosplay is amazing, in which case they are probably more well known).

but I do think there is a market for lewd cosplay at cons. Im suprised to have not seen it yet. In this case, youre marketing your stuff as "sexy version of" instead of just random cosplayer as XYZ. That would fit well into the little 18+ yaoi bunkers that are always around.
>>
>>9564480
is op pic a photo you've taken and an example of what you'd sell? because goddamn nobody would buy it.
>>
Muze had a photography exhibit and was selling some printouts last weekend but he was also accompanied by his model Lenneth. That's as close as I can see it happening.
>>
>>9564480
There wouldn't, and here's why.
People buy prints from cosplayers not only becausue they love the cosplay, but also because they want to support the cosplayer. Most cosplay photography is not good enough to make people want to buy photos by themselves, it's the supporting the cosplayer part that hooks people in. There's no market for photographers selling prints because there's none of that fanbase or willingness to support the person.
>>
>>9564488
>get them to sign away monetary rights to their image
You don't need to do that, you legally own the image, no matter who is in it
>>
>>9564925
Depending on the state, you can get sued for violating personality rights.
>>
>>9564863
Seconded. Your best option is to contact good cosplayers and show them your quality work and editing, then do a private shoot in a studio and do one of two setups
>you get paid flat for shoot
>you get a % each print sold

If your name is on the print and the print is on your site as an example of your work, you're golden assuming the cosplayer is popular.

Nobody wants to buy hallshots, and nobody wants B level work. You have to work your way up.

You could also get a gig as a con photographer either for PR or in the photo studio onsite some cons have
>>
>>9564925
Maybe legally you can get away with it but you'll never get another photoshoot ever
>>
>>9564480
You might have a better shot putting a few of your best pieces up in the Art Show if you attend cons that have one.

Plus, you don't have to sit behind a booth all day.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.