[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tips for making fabric lood faded and worn? Workung on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1482378698085m.jpg (83KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1482378698085m.jpg
83KB, 1024x576px
Any tips for making fabric lood faded and worn?

Workung on a halo/ alien inspired space marine costume

Does the coffee trick for camo or only for light colors?
>>
>>9563472
Why not wear it outside a bit?
>>
>>9563476
Because the amount of wear im looking for would take like a year to acheive naturally. Also i dont want to walk around in a full camo bdu in publuc cuz im not that autistic.
>>
>>9563504
>a full year

You are highly overestimating the quality of whatever trash surplus you're buying.

Literally walk off a path in a wood and you'll quickly find tears, stains, and discolorations come to you.
>>
is it machine washable? run it through the wash with cheap shitty detergent a bunch of times, or if you don't want to waste water, just throw it in with every load of wash you do. leave it out to dry in the sun. even if it's not machine washable, leaving it out in the sunlight and the elements for several hours every day should fade it. expose a different side of it to the sun every day (front, back, left, right). maybe even let it get rained on. just don't let it get moldy.
>>
getting wear is basically friction and dirt. sun to some degree for faded colors. rub at it, roll in the dirt with it, crawl around, etc.
>>
>>9563504
Just go hiking with your autist larping buddies, it's good practice for hauling that shit through conventions
What's that? You do have battle brothers don't you?
>>
>>9563504
literally go to a slightly dustier/sandier place and roll around for 5 minutes
newsflash: making miliclothing look used requires you to use it
>>
>>9563518
I may be overestimating but one hoke is not enough to get wear and tear. The bdu im using is a brand new reproduction not an already faded surplus one.
>>
Do like my friend did for a GoT costume years ago and literally just bury it in the back yard for a few months.

Also, if you need weathering NOW, soak it in some dingy watered down acrylics and scrub it across the cement in a dirty carport or something. It works in a pinch.
>>
So much terrible advice here. You all need a lesson in fabric distressing. Do not use real dirt. Your costume will get bugs in it, sometimes literal shit, and will smell. Use paint, dyes, wire brushes, specialized theatre dirt (fullers earth) and things like that.
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Fabric/Distressing.htm
>>
>>9566571
>>9566584

thank you please do not do this omg, people have gotten sick this way
even when using theater dirt etc, make sure to wear a face mask when you apply it

some sandpaper and acrylic paint can take you a long way. cheese graters are a personal favorite

just wanna say this again DO NOT PUT REAL DIRT ON YOUR COSTUME
>>
>>9566584
This. Can't fucking believe people are suggesting OP to go into the woods with it or rub it in dirt. With all the cosplay elitism on this board, you'd think people would be a bit more educated on common techniques like weathering.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.