[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artist Alley General: AX is over! Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 401
Thread images: 23

File: activity1.jpg (81KB, 568x568px) Image search: [Google]
activity1.jpg
81KB, 568x568px
Previous thread: >>9536210

>Please read the FAQ
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Taobao/Alibaba services (broken link)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>>
Has anybody tabled at Comiket before? I'm going for the first time and my friend is letting me share their circle table. What has your experience been like?

Specific questions:
>Do I need to bring a lot of change/cash? If so what kind of bills or change should I bring and how much?
I don't expect a lot of sales desu (I'm a pretty small-time artist with a fairly niche following) so I'm not sure if I should just.. hope that people pay in exact change?
>What kind of stuff have you tried to sell other than a doujinshi book?
>If you aren't a super popular circle how many copies of a book would you print to sell?
>Is 2500 yen a fair price for a t-shirt or should I go lower?
It'd be screenprinted so pretty good quality (and a decent t-shirt brand too), not a low-quality t-shirt transfer thing. My cost is about $11-13 a shirt to make it.
>>
>>9553768
People usually pay in exact change, you shouldn't have any issues if you're pricing at 500 or 1000 yen. I haven't tabled there before, but I've seen people with keychains and some with totes/notebooks. They're in the minority though, it's mostly just books (fanart/fanfic/artbooks). Hopefully someone here will be able to answer your other questions.
>>
>>9553768
>Do I need to bring a lot of change/cash? If so what kind of bills or change should I bring and how much?
Just bring a few spare 100 yens unless you have an oddly priced booked like 350 or something, then bring 50 yens for change

You can sell prints,charms, postcards, buttons, etc - just know you can't price it like American's do. You will not make a profit from selling in Japan unless you're a popular circle. The average price for these items are 100-500 yen

>If you aren't a super popular circle how many copies of a book would you print to sell?
If you have zero internet presence(pixiv, twitter) 50 books at the most. People rarely browse at events. Make sure to advertise on pixiv in the tag/fandom your work is associated with. You will most likely bring back home copies.

>>Is 2500 yen a fair price for a t-shirt or should I go lower?
Depends on the quality, average price for t-shirts from comiket usually are 2000 yen but I have seen as low as 500 for them(cotton) and as high as 5000(printed all over waifu shirt)
>>
tfw you never found that one anon's booth with gbf/lovelive/mobage merch like you said you were
>>
AX is over whelming that's for sure. It was my first AX, so I can only imagine how the AA worked before when it didn't have a huge room dedicated to it.

There was so much stuff to see and since I wasn't on the hunt for anything, everything just kinda blurred in a mess of color. I remember every booth had Overwatch and Pokemon. Nobody had League of Legend prints, just a few buttons. Non of the Overwatch stuff was pairings either. I may as well have gone to Blizzcon and got official merch. When I go to AA, I want to see my pairings! I want a Genji/Zenyatta keychain. But everyone played it safe with sales, so I got one Genji charm, one Zen, and put them together on my phone.

...Meh. It's not without it's charm.
>>
>>9553895
I've been thinking about doing League of Legends charms, but I'm worried with such a massive roster it's difficult to pick ~10 loved champions that aren't already done to death. I actually wanted to do a set of the yordle champs but I've been warned off of it since only like 3 or 4 are popular enough.
>>
>>9553851
Sorry anon... That was my booth l. Got caught up doing a bunch of last minute stuff for AX that I forgot to post here.
>>
>>9553843
>People rarely browse at events.
>You will not make a profit from selling in Japan unless you're a popular circle
Seriously? Is that because the event is just so big, people just beeline toward what they already know they want? I feel like you'd be potentially missing a lot of good stuff by not taking the time to investigate it all.
>>
>>9553895
The visual exhaustion you're describing has been the case since AX initially expanded from 200 to 500 tables in one year. And you're not entirely wrong about your perception of "mess of color" - most people are using similar palettes and finishes (since it sells) so unless someone has an especially unique style or is that much more superior as a draftsman than everyone in their row, it's difficult to really tell the difference between booths.
>>
>>9553900
Don't be a pussy. DO ALL THE CHAMPS.
>>
>>9553920
Stock 1 charm of each. First come first serve.
>>
>>9553920
I just got through the entire overwatch roster and now I have to draw Doomfist. I will totally admit that I'm too pussy to do 137 charm designs.
>>
>>9553925

26 Heros vs 137 Champions (+ more. One Lamb, One Wolf, not One Kindred).

You can do it. I BELIEVE IN YOU.

God Mode: You also have to make one charm for each skin.
>>
>>9553925
Draw one champion per day until you're done, easy peasy.

>>9553930
>God Mode: You also have to make one charm for each skin.
That's just sadistic, come on now.
>>
>>9553930
Please don't joke, I did an alt skin on the backside for every overwatch charms and included Efi for Orisa. I actually was planning on doing alt skins for whatever League champions I pick. But I don't have any unbiased friends who will help me choose like 10 total to do, they all just want their mains.

>>9553934
Oh good only four and a half months to complete the set and end up only selling Ahri, Sona, Draven, etc. I've always wanted 10 Urgot charms for myself.
>>
>>9553930

>There's currently 900 skins.

Your booth might get a Buzzfeed article for it.

>Insane LoL fan makes over 1000 keychains for one game.
>>
>>9553947
D O I T
And then figure out how to display them all.

>>9553945
I would help you choose but I don't play LoL and don't know the characters, sorry.
>>
>>9553945

Well, as the anon that was actively searching for anything LoL and came up short, here are my top 10 favorite champs and skins.

Jhin- SKT
Hemierdinger - Default
Ziggs - Wizard
Malzahar - Void Lord
Thresh - Default but Dark Star and Blood Moon is growing on me
Veigar - Any skin, but White Mage and Final Boss are cool
Swain - Winter Skin
Leblanc - Default (also make Swain/LB charm OTP)
Nasus/Azir - Default and Graveyard cause I'm a sucker for Egyptian themed things
And Signed - Default cause I'm also a sucker for bandaged up faces.

Get to it! Go go go go.
>>
>>9553914
comiket is huge. you need to make a map to tackle where every circle you want to visit is. if you view the webcatalog, this is only 1/3 of a section out of 6 parts of the east hall where the doujinshi circles are. there are also tables within each block. they are also separated by fandom section, by character section, and per day. therefore, people will make a list of each artist or circle they want to see.
>>
>>9553906
I think that makes two of us. I only managed to look through half of AA because I was stuck at my booth for a huge chunk of the con

still looking for lanyards. saw maybe one love live and no gbf lanyards in case someone wants to sell me stuff through the internet.
>>
>>9553958

and on that note, here's to avoid cause they always get done if anyone cares- Lux, Ahri, Jinx, Nami, Lulu (even though I love her), Katarina, Blitz, Sona, and Annie. Never see anything besides them.
>>
>>9553900
>>9553958

I would consider looking at what merchandise is sold on the League website. If they know what champs to choose for tshirts, figures, etc, then you can use them too.

That said the new SKT skins are good and fairly simple.

I would encourage you to do the most popular ones: Zed, Ahri, Jhin, Riven, Vayne, etc.

For skins, go for the most beautiful and unique in design. Simple recolors aren't worth doing.

EX: Pool party skins, Festival Anivia, etc

I think a yordle set would be fine if you maybe do more of some and less of the others, or a discount if you buy them all. Gnar, Teemo, Veigar, Ziggs, and Lulu would be a safe five.
>>
>>9553990

KLED!! He's seriously the best Yordel.

Also, you guys needs to start making couples. What's the point of having the fun of an AA if all the print are just of All Mighty and Deku looking forward and smiling.

Make them kiss god dammit. Give me my yaois. Pretend it's the 90s.
>>
>>9553990
Those were actually the five I was looking at doing + Poppy and Kled maybe. The other idea I had was doing a few skin set groups as larger charms (2.5-3") like culinary, pool party, arcade, etc. with 5 champs that would fill all the team roles.

>>9553996
There was an almost entirely dedicated McHanzo table at the last large con I was at, and she sold out of most of her stuff. I think the artists doing ship stuff are just making content for the tried and true sellers since it's more profitable unfortunately.
>>
How much is an AX table usually again?
>>
>>9553914
Not only that but a lot of artists are only there for one day. Buying the directory is actually pretty important for figuring out what section is what on which day.
>>
>>9554014

$700 next year. No, I'm serious. Stop laughing!
>>
i want to make these medical masks but with my own designs on them. whats the best way to go about doing such a thing?
ive never really did anything like this before and so far the only method I can think of is by using those printable fabric transfer paper things.

sorry if this doesnt belong here. wasnt sure if it belonged in the general help or here since I do plan on possibly selling them in the future.
>>
Anyone have any good cringe stories from AX?

There was a guy who wanted to commission me who sounded really um Slow and was like calling aquors "aquarium" and I was like its "aqua" and he was confused for like 10 minutes and Im like ?????? you love them so much but cant pronounce their name???
>>
>>9554073
spoonflower?
>>
>>9553717
What kind of prints does /cgl/ like?
- postcards
- posters
- book collection
>>
>>9554135
I love art books and zines. I prefer nicely laminated, sturdy books to the really cheap, printer paper ones that some people have at their booth. I'll drop a good chunk of change for a nice art book.

I don't care for prints and actively try not to buy them (I have nowhere to put them in my room), but for my fandoms, I can't help but be tempted by $5 postcards/'buy X get each at $5' prints. I have a few cheap-o prints in my room that I admire but don't do anything besides sit on my desk in a pile. Good deals hurt me.
>>
>>9554125
i think the only cringe thing there is you being a cunt about it on here and your overuse of question marks
>>
>>9554125

> slow
> those question marks

Tumblr please.
>>
>>9554135
I like postcards, greeting cards (rare to find), stickers and stationery stuff. When it comes to posters, legal/A4/letter size only, nothing too big.
>>
>>9554125
Wow, what an interesting story. Thank you for sharing.

>>9553768
Tote bags. Super cheap to make, can easily throw in a free doujinshi book to sweeten the deal. Not that you'll be making any profit at all really (not to hate on you- just the nature of the event), but hey- less shit to carry back with you!

>Is 2500 yen a fair price for a t-shirt or should I go lower?
Better be a fancy-ass shirt. 1500-2000 is the norm.
>>
What do you guys feel like is a good button size? I was always partial to 1.5", but after adding heart buttons to my stock (which only come in 2.25"), my 1.5" buttons feel small in comparison.
>>
>>9554125
I'm a giant fan of lots of things. I usually never remember anyone's name but the main character.
>>
>>9554408
I feel like I'm usually alone on this. I hardly remember most character's names and then it seems like everyone else remembers everything to the second including character's names. I have to rewatch a bit to even start remembering despite how many series I genuinely enjoyed over the years.
>>
There's been a lot of talk on AANI lately about something that came up a couple threads ago in regards to lower print sales and people not having the wall space.

People on aani seem really against the idea of changing $10 for 11x17 prints for obvious reasons.

Do you consider it undercutting if someone has large prints for $10 if said artist is of lesser skill?

I'm not the best so I've been pricing my stuff at $10 for 11x17. Then $3 for 5x7.

It's the only way I can make *some* sales. When I tried $20 or even $15, I was getting no sales at all and I wanna try to make back some of the money I invested into producing before quitting aa... But I don't want to piss fellow artists off by undercutting and lowering price expectations.
>>
>>9553914
It's hot and crowded as fuck in the convention center, and you have to quickly get to your preferred doujin circles before their copies sell out. So yes there aren't many looky-loos.

Are you the anon selling there? Like other anons have said you can't expect to charge the same prices as in the west. Most comiket artists are truly doing it for their love of a series and will charge barely anything over the cost of production of whatever they're selling.
>>
>>9554443
Nope, that's a different anon.
I'm the anon selling at Comiket, I'm pretty familiar with the event & the scale of it.. considering I've asked so many friends to enter the battle for me with other doujinshi items lol. Having a circle ticket is very OK emoji.

Thank you to you and all the others who have also given input, it's very appreciated and I'll heed the advice re: pricing, promoting on twitter/pixiv, etc.!
>>
>>9554436
Mark them as reduced for quick sale? Or end of line stock?
>>
>>9554436
Fuck what other artists think. They're not your goddamn friends. They're your competition. Your prices are taking away from their sales? GOOD. You can't make any sales if you bump up your prices? No big deal. Keep the prices low. It's all about appealing to the customer, not your competition.
>>
>>9554366
1.5" are the best smallest size you can go without the pin backing falling out like the 1" do sometimes.

And I'd charge more for the heart buttons. It sounds like you got a good variety of options so don't let the size differences make you feel bad.
>>
>>9554436

I ended up marking down all my large prints to $10 (anything from 8x10 to specialty print 8x10 to 11x14 to 11x17) the last day of A-kon and that was my best sales day of that con. Was it because of the pricing? Was it because of it being Sunday and people finally were shopping? I'm not sure. I'm going to try the reduced pricing across the board at my next con and am reducing large print and charm pricing. Buttons, stickers, and postcard prints will probably stay the same. If I find that my sales are dramatically higher than the previous year, I'm going to keep my pricing reduced. If I'm still doing the same numbers, I'll have to just see if I'm moving more stock or not.

In my case, I ended up with a ton of extra prints because my local printer gave me 50 copies of some prints I asked for 15 of (I only got charged for 15) so I REALLY need to move some inventory. My margins also stay really good if I have the reduced pricing so I'm not cutting myself out of too much profit. I just know that I'm hitting a limit to the number of customers I have at my old pricing and am trying to figure out if I can get more by having cheaper items.
>>
>>9554486
>pin backing falling out
Not that anon, but what? I've never had any of the 1.25" pins I've bought fall apart, some of them are 6 years old at this point. They're all Tecre brand so maybe that's it. Seconding the higher price point for heart buttons tho, I charge $5 for 1 and 2 for $8.
>>
>>9554484
And then other artists go and cause drama and post about you on cgl if you're not the perfect AA'er
>>
>>9554502
They specifically mentioned the 1 inch pin backs falling out. This usually happens because it's just some wire tucked under the metal plate sometimes or the pin itself just snaps off.
>>
>>9554436
i do $12 for 11x17 and two for $20
my sales are really good, but a lot of them come from people who go for the 2 for 20 deal and i dont think i'd make as much if i raised my prices to $15 a piece or something.
>>
>>9554519
It just makes them look bad. Back when the A-Kon drama happened, guess whose side the actual customers were on? Girl whose name I forgot with the cheap prints. People on /cgl/ are going to cause drama about you no matter what you do. That's just how /cgl/ is. If you can't handle the anonymous boogey(wo)man talking shit about you in AA threads, just don't pay attention to them.
>>
>>9554491
It's really weird because I've experienced the opposite of this? I priced everything up because last year a lot of anons said having minprints cannibalizes sales. My keychains used to be $10 but now I sell them for $12. I got rid of all my miniprints/postcards and only have large prints. I make more money now than I ever have before like... almost triple as much as I used to make before regularly. I also have a friend who sells way more prints pricing them at $20 than he does pricing them at $15.

In fact, before I got rid of postcards entirely, I priced them up to $5 a pop and they started selling faster than when I had them for $2-$3. These were the same exact postcards, no quality difference. I'm not sure if it's a perceived value kind of thing? When you price lower, people also tend to associate the value of your art with cheapness. My art hasn't changed. I'm sure there may be a bit of improvement over the last year but it's not something dramatic enough to affect my sales by three times as much.
>>
>>9554484
It's really funny that y'all say stuff like this and turn around and whine that people aren't sharing sources.
>>
>>9554419

Yeah, I just have a selective memory? Or maybe I just don't have the room to remember all of it now that I'm older? But even like in Hero Academia, I called Midoriya, 'Deku' forever until someone was like, Omg do you even watch the show, that's his HERO name.

Well fuck you, I'm still shelling out 5 bucks for a keychain you made. Give me my Deku shit and leave me be.
>>
>>9554591

If you really want to piss off YOI fans, just call the two Yuris, The Russian One and The Japanese One.
>>
>>9554591
What?
I still call Bakugou and Midoriya, Kacchan and Deku and I've been a fan since the manga came out. Even my Japanese friends call them kacchan and deku still, that fucker is tripping
>>
>>9554595

Well apparently that shows off your autism nowadays. Man, being an anime fan in the 2000s is hard work.
>>
>>9554125
Picking on a guy with a speech impediment. You sound like a nice person.
>>
>>9554587
What are you on about? I'm the anon from the last thread who was sharing all of my sources, which I found on my own.
>>
>>9554436
$10 is still in the acceptable print pricing range, but the low end. I mean when people do $15 ea, buy 2 get 1 free that's $10 a print. I made way more money raising my prints to $20 but if you can't make anything then i mean.. that's you, you do you. Just not with this >>9554484 kind of attitude, you can tell they have no friends and probably make low or low-mid-tier money anyway, if anything they might be encouraging you to lower prices so they can make more money so take that kind of person with a grain of salt.
>>
>>9554484
>Fuck what other artists think. They're not your goddamn friends.

This attitude is only viable if you don't expect to need anything from other artists, ever.

Want to take a break and ask other artist to watch your table for 5min? Need someone to break your bills? Forgot a pen and need to borrow one? Not happening because you decided to be a cunt.
>>
I actually overheard a very nice conversation while slowly making my way up and down the isles of the AX AA. I only caught the start of it, but this guy (who sounded like he probably has awkward social skills) came up to a booth and said flat out, he doesn't have the extra spending cash right now to buy a print, but he just REALLY wanted to let the artist know how much he loved her work and how it inspires him and he just really wanted to let her know he loves her craft and style and skill.

She said thank so much, but I have no idea where the conversation went from there, or if she was even the artist or just someone watching the booth, but I thought that was really nice. I would love to have people come up to me just to say they love my work without buying anything. Give me praise, man! I want it! Money's cool too, but complaints like that stick with me longer. It's why I will literally check every reblog I get on Tumblr because I want to see if anyone said anything in the hashtags. When I see the #amazing #lovethis I feel soooo good for the rest of the day. It's like crack.
>>
>>9554616

And if you're a smart business person, you would have a friend come with you to be your bathroom buddy, bring more bills, bring pens. Bam.
>>
>>9554616
I dont think anyone would refuse to so any of these just because you have lower prices than them. As long as youre friendly ive found AA neighbors are more than willing to lend a pen or keep an eye on your table. That beings said, other anon is right, always bring a buddy, bring change and you're an artist how would you not have pens?
>>
>>9554620
If you were really a smart business person, you wouldn't be actively trying to make enemies with people you're going to be interactig with regularly at cons. You sounds like an idiot.
>>
I wonder what would happen if EVERYONE at a AA sold everything for 5 bucks. Think everyone would sell out? People might even buy the really shitty art just to blow the money, heck why not.
>>
>>9554626
I think that anon was talking more about the "fuck other artists" mentality than lower prices.

Believe it or not, I've met artists who thought it was cool to lie to get sources from me since it's all just a business and I wouldn't do any of the things listed above for them.
>>
>>9554631
I refuse to budge my prices at cons where people undercharge. I still end up making more than most of the underchargers while keeping my stock for the next con. It doesn't matter if you sell MORE copies when in the end I can sell less and still make more money than you.
>>
>>9554618
When I get those from customers I feel really bad and want to give them free shit LOL rip my ass
>>
>>9554616
I never said be an asshole to other artists. Just don't lower your prices if you can't sell at higher prices just because other artists want you to. They're not your friends. You don't need to impress them or change to make them happy.
>>
>>9554591
I fucking adore Hero Academia and I still call Todoroki "Icy Hot" 99% of the time (I had to look up his real name just to type this). I really don't think it matters what you call the characters as long as the people you're talking to know who you're referencing.
>>
>>9554666
Honestly if it's the last day and people seem really sincere, I'll end up giving them a free print;; I've had customers bring me snacks and presents too because they follow my work online and I always feel bad because I want to give them something in return.
>>
>>9554135
I like postcard size because I hang them up in my cubicle at my day job and they help keep me motivated throughout the day (in addition to being nice art to look at). Posters are too big for the cubicle but I can fit about 5-6 postcard sized prints nicely.

I assume that there are customers with similar space limitation issues which is why I have most of my large prints available in postcard size, too. I've been warned that I'm stealing sales out from under myself by doing this but I don't mind. I know for a fact that no matter how much I like a poster-sized print, there's no way I'm going to buy it...and so I feel that must be true for others, as well.
>>
>>9554591
I refer to Frog Girl solely as Frog Girl, and I would die for her.
>>
>>9554635
People who sell for less make less money then I do when I price my stuffs $20. Shocking. How will they ever recover?
>>
>>9554593
Wait there's only two Yuris? I haven't watched it but I have friends who do so I get a lot of it through osmosis... I just thought everyone was named Yuri. Like I thought it was a gimmick or something.
>>
>>9554702
what
>>
>>9554704
>>9554593

Wait, the character's names are Yuri? I thought they just couldn't call it Yaoi on Ice cause it wouldn't sell as much so they called it Yuri.
>>
ITT: Nobody actually watches or likes anime. Everyone just tries to sell at cons and make money. (Which is not a bad thing, who cares).
>>
>>9554502
Sorry I might've worded slightly wrong but >>9554527 got it right
>>
>>9554719
>>9554704
I present to you Yuri Katsuki and Yuri Plisetsky, or more commonly Yuuri and Yurio.

>sage for o/t
>>
>>9554726
it's the artist alley thread. what the fuck were you expecting?
>>
>>9554734

Wtf. Why would you name your main characters the same thing?
>>
>>9554726

I actually work in anime so I'm technically making money off things that pay my day salary. It's great.
>>
>>9554746
What do you do? Production?
>>
>>9554591
>"Omg that's his hero name."
And it was a nickname he had before he even BECAME a hero. Like literally one of the other character's suggested he use it as his hero name.

How can they get snippy with you over a name the character had since he was introduced?
>>
>>9554745

Irc the creators originally intended for the story to revolve mostly around the two Yuri's (and it does in that they're rivals). The Victuri aspect (in the sense that the romance became a secondary focus) was a much later addition because it just... happened to become something as the original creator wrote the story.

>>9554748

Packaging design.
>>
>>9554746
I used to work for anime product companies doing design-related work too. It's cool to see another anon working in that field!
>>
>>9554620
Not everybody HAS that option.

Also it's better to be on friendly terms with artist at least, just so if something does happen, you have somebody willing to help you out. Hell, I get other AA artist who buy my work. Why would I treat other artists like an enemy? There's a difference between being a friendly rival and being a dick.
>>
>>9554752
I don't get why anyone wouldn't want to befriend other artists. Except Ramy, fuck that guy....or exploit his friendship, idk
>>
>>9554750

Sorry, now I'm just being nosy, what company and how did you get it? Just apply? I'm a graphic designer and I was at an ad agency in LA, but my department shut down last month and I've been unemployed ever since. I would love to work at an anime company, doing anything really. Just figured passion/likes + work = happy life.
>>
>>9554760

No, it's fine. It's my dream job so I completely get it. I had to move to a whole new state to even (at the time) be considered to work for that company. I moved right after undergrad and spent about 2 years doing non-design or low level design jobs. I had luckily met someone who worked where I wanted to get in, but I basically had to wait for an opening and for my portfolio to be good enough. My friend ended up leaving and I was her replacement, but she put in a very strong good word for me.

So first off, be a killer graphic designer. It doesn't matter if you love anime if you can't design. Second, live in a city where these companies are. From my current knowledge, only Aniplex hires freelance. All other companies are in-house so either move to SF for Viz, Dallas for Funi, or Houston for Sentai. Third, network, network, network. Don't be a creep, but introduce yourself to reps at cons. Let them know you are a fan of the brand (be earnest) and want to work for them. If that place offers tours, call them up and say you want to work for them and would just like a tour. You might be able to meet someone there and exchange social media. Try to connect with people via linked in. We get tired of the millionth weeb who wants to be a voice actor, but someone who wants to do what I do? Heck yes I'll help and try to get someone in (if you're good and not a creep). A lot of companies will list the job on the regular job boards, but might also have a jobs mailing list. I really stress the networking though because in a lot of cases, jobs aren't listed. Once I started I actually had a few coworkers who still had my business card or remembered that I had applied before. It's pretty rare for people to want to do behind the scenes work so I think people remember the people who want to do something beyond voice acting.

I'm not gonna list my company, but let's just say I have a lot of fun at my job.
>>
>>9554775

Aw heck! Thanks so much for that info. Great advice for sure. Hmm, you know, I've always applied to the big ad agencies (BPG, Trailer Park, BLT, etc) and have worked on lots of commercial and some film packages, but I've never even thought about going into the anime business side. You've given me a lot to think about. Good thing it's Sunday, I can hit the ground running Monday.

I KNEW I wasn't being a dork when I went to some industry panels at AX. 99.9% of the crowd of course asked about voice acting/talked about their nerd questions. I was the one that handed my card to a business rep on the sidelines when the panel was over.

One day in the future we'll end up working together, then a seagull will fly over head and we'll both laugh at the same time and then turn to each other and do the double gun finger and go "eeeeeeeeeh!"
>>
>>9554775
Different anon here with similar aspirations!

I'm currently a staffer for a con and do all the graphic design work (guide booklet, Facebook graphics, posters, etc), as well as a guest liason at the con itself (meaning I have a lot of face time with guests as I'm helping them out). I feel like this puts me in a really good place for networking, but I'm afraid of coming off as annoying if I try to leverage it.

Beyond a casual, "Hey I'm super interested in working in the industry, by the way I made that thing you're holding, check out my business card," Is there anything else you would recommend I say or do in a con setting or after the con to help out my networking?
>>
>>9554796
>Is there anything else you would recommend I say or do in a con setting or after the con to help out my networking?

I'm a different anon, (not dream job anon) but I work as a rep for Universal Studios, both the film and park side of things.

My piece of advice is a bit of double sword. On one hand, going to a con or event and seeking out someone to speak to and being like Hi! Please look at my card, I'm interested in getting hired, is literally all you can do. Unless it's a job fair, people who work for the biz aren't there to pick up cards. (I'm saying this in a positive manner, not a cynical one). I've done that time and time again, went to animation talks with big pros and thought I would be "Guttsy" and "Go Get 'Em!" if I gave out my info. I'm sure the guys working it were like cool thanks, but at the end of the day, they are either there to enjoy the con, or they'll pocket your info only to find it fall out of their jeans when they are doing laundry a week later. It's not a personal thing, it's really just an HR thing. Unless you're some BIG wig artist, who really doesn't need to be gibing out cards, those people will be (maybe) called back if like a spot opens and someone on the production pipeline remembers them vaguely. If not, always put your card out, there is literally no harm in it, but it's best to save them for actual business hiring set ups.

Just don't feel discouraged if you gave out a hundred cards and nobody called you back. It's not YOU, it's just the timing is not the right place. But for sure, if you're attendant if wearing the badge you made, for SURE be like, here's my card, btw, the thing you're wearing? I totally made that. That even either strike up a conversation, or later they'll remember you when you apply.

tldr; apply until you die.
>>
>>9554810
Thank you for the response and the advice!

If I manage to exchange business cards with any reps, would it be too forward to send a follow up after the convention with, "Hi, we met at such-and-such, I'm such-and-such, it was great to meet you, please keep me in mind if any opportunities arise." ?
>>
>>9554856
Not that anon, but if you want them to be more likely to answer your email, ask for advice or portfolio review if they have the time. I've had a few industry people look over my work by doing that, and they usually give good concrit.
>>
>>9554791

I hope you get in! Idk how other companies are, but where I'm at it's somewhat a labor of love. I'm making bank compared to my last job, but in all honesty, it's not about the money because I could make way more doing agency work, sure. If I can say I've worked on all of my top 5 favorite anime, that's what's making my job worth it.

>>9554796

It just depends on how you approach people. I really think the moment people hear you want to work in something OTHER than voice acting their opinion will change. It's very rare for people to want to work at these places and do stuff like design, marketing, or even accounting. But make sure you don't just want to work there to work there. My advice is to really pick a company and go after that one. Just wanting to be in the industry is one thing, but for me it was so much more than that. It really was working for the place I am now.

For you, the key will be securing some contact info. Try to keep in touch and see if whoever you talk to (who will most likely be con staff or social media for that anime company) can set you up with someone else. In terms of who you're meeting and giving your card to, don't give it to anyone who is the "face" of a company. They are often swamped and won't remember. Convention staff for the same reason. Probably best to find a lower level social media person who probably actually spends time at the office. If you're local, again, see if you can get a tour and meet a designer.

It took me 3 years to get hired (applying twice) and that was WITH a friend working in the direct job I wanted. I don't know how many times I talked to the same reps or gave cards to different people, even saying "Please give to [insert art director's name]." Just keep at it.
>>
>>9554870

This. Sorry, industry anon again but if you can make that connection and get a review (or do it in person on a tour) this is the best. The friend I had who gave me a rec also looked over my portfolio and cover letter for content but also design. We were able to specifically tailor my application to the aesthetics of the art director. That is the level of connection with someone on the inside that will get you in easier, but that's the amount of work it sometimes takes.

In the event any of you industry-hopefuls wants low cost of living and a fun work environment (if you catch my drift), here's my throwaway. Here's your network freebie.
>>
>>9554856
Always follow up. That goes for any job. But the number one saying in the production business is "If you ask for a job, you'll get advice. If you ask for advice, you'll get the job. "

Follow up, say hi, remember me? I gave you my card and I just wanted to reach out and say thanks blah blah nice to meet you. Listen, while I'm talking to you, thank you for your time btw, could I ask for some advice on this field you are in and are very good at? I'm trying to get my foot into that field too and anything you say would really help me blah blah.
>>
>>9554875
>>9554881
>>9554889
Thank you so much for all of the advice, it's greatly appreciated.
>>
>>9554618
The last con I went to I had 4 people in a row come up to me to compliment me because they bought something last year and they still love it.

Also some times someone will come up to complain about something they bought x.x I always try to fix anything that breaks.
>>
>>9554125
I do have a good one actually.

>Have normie in my friend group who likes to show up to cons just to cheer the rest of us on (ex. buying stuff from me, SCREAM cheering at cosplay competitions, waiting in autograph lines for those of us who are stuck in AA/dealers, etc.)
>Comes up to my table day 2
>Puts on a French accent and says some funny stuff like "Oh who are you? You should be famous? I'm going to buy everything you have"
>Artist next to me doesn't get that we know each other or something
>Tries to advertise her shitty tumblr art (we're talking fat and hairy levels of tumblr) to my friend
>Will not stop trying to get my friend to buy something
>I don't even know what to do
>"You're going to buy so much stuff from her! At least buy one thing from me!" and other cringe-y things are said to my poor friend
>Get bright idea to call friend so her phone rings and she has an excuse to leave

I had to deal with the bitch next to me all damn con. I would have been livid if she was trying to poach a random customer and not my friend.
>>
>>9554960
Hearing about socially inept neighbors who actually try to steal customers (especially with shitty art) makes me so thankful that I've only had super sweet neighbors so far.
>>
File: hanbo.jpg (122KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
hanbo.jpg
122KB, 800x1067px
Hey, possibly quick question for some of you. I want specifically this style (pec with nipple) mousepad and I thought I had it bookmarked on alibaba but I guess it got lost/I just don't have it anymore. Does anyone have the listing anywhere? I've tried looking up similar terms to the oppai ones but adding "man", "male" or "pec" seems to give me dead ends. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
>>
Everyone in this thread racing to the bottom of the barrel in pricing makes me laugh. Pros at AX were selling their A4s for $20 and still selling out. You price it as high as people are willing to pay for it. You can't sell $15 posters? Your art must just be worse than everyone else's.
>>
>>9554972
What if my art is good and I sell them for free or $5?
>>
>>9554981
Then you're an idiot with no business sense. Are you the same anon with this exact genius scheme from threads ago?
>>
>>9554986
>>9554972

Don't bother. I don't think the people who prefer pricing lower just to get any sort of sale are ready to hear it.

In fairness - regarding your skill statement - a massive majority of customers can't tell the difference between good and bad art as long as it's of whatever it is they're in the market to buy.
>>
When people buy at anime conventions they aren't shopping like they would at walmart, trying to find the best price. As long as it isn't crazy expensive, people will buy what they like no matter the price.
>>
>>9554990
I mean not really, I only buy stuff from artists when I can actually use it in life. Like wash clothes, bags, tape, mirror
>>
Are comic cons (emerald city, c2e2 etc) just for established professionals to table at or can amateurs and fan artists get in or make any profit? I notice the applications always ask to state companies you've worked with. Is it worth it to try and bullshit something if you're a nobody?
>>
File: FreeShit.png (2MB, 1366x1934px) Image search: [Google]
FreeShit.png
2MB, 1366x1934px
>>9554986
Why yes, yes I am.

Plans to draw popular character and get a booth at ALA. I'm not good but, I'm getting there. This is example of my drawing. Please take a look.
>>
>>9555011
Your art isn't good (not to say it's bad- you're a solid 6/10) so I don't think the $5 pricing is that bad for you actually.
>>
>>9555011

And... how exactly will you make money by giving away shit for free?
>>
>>9555017
Now I know. So the $5 or free is fine. And knowing is only half the battle, /cgl/.
>>
>>9555011
I think you're underestimating the amount that dudes will pay for prints of their waifus' t&a
>>
>>9555017
Their art is fine? May not be the most interesting but it doesn't have glaring anatomy problems like a lot of the other stuff posted.
>>
>>9555003
Are you talking about their AA tables? Comic conventions tend to reserve their AAs for established professionals (this obviously varies from con to con), but non-industry can get in through buying small press or booths.
>>
>>9554981
Do you really want to sit in a 3-day convention only make a couple hundred bucks on your art without being able to get up and enjoy the con or do anything else?

If I was only making a couple hundred bucks in AA each con, I'd stick to commissions and have fun at the con and go to panels and hang with my friends.
>>
>>9555045
Yes. I'm not rich but if I can get $20 for gas and food, I'm good. It's not the posters that count it the fans.
>>
>>9555011
oh my god you're that guy who keeps posting in the threads about posting your garbage art and leaving it around cons for free, why are you like this
>>
>>9555051
Free market. It doesn't hurt any body. I just love given stuffs for free.
>>
File: 1498413958566.jpg (89KB, 505x379px) Image search: [Google]
1498413958566.jpg
89KB, 505x379px
Ok seagulls tell me how to get into AX
>>
>>9555042
Yikes, get standards anon. Nayrt but I'd rate it 5/10.

>>9555024
There are better T&A artists out there... ones that actually know how to render.
>>
>>9555075
Just be fast when sign ups go up to the public? It's not like there's a big secret way to get into AX.

>>9555003
Do not bullshit on your apps unless you want to get blacklisted.
>>
>>9555064
Cool. It's not hurting anyone, you're right. Could you please stop spamming it in the AA threads, though? You've got your art, you've got your idea, and you've got your mind made up. I don't know why we keep discussing this.
>>
>>9555075
F5 next month.
>>
>>9555086
I'm sorry. I will take my drawing and leave. So sorry everyone.
>>
>>9555024
Speaking of which,(different anon here) I know this question was asked a while ago, but I missed out on being able to catch the answers.
Who is more willing to throw down cash, guys for their waifus, or girls for their husbandos?
>>
>>9555159

Every single person I know who is spending $$$ every month on anime shit is a girl.
>>
>>9555159
in my experience girls will spend $50+ on your table if you've got exactly what they're looking for, then come back with their friends. sometimes the friends don't buy anything, sometimes i end up selling a ton just to that group. guys impulse buy prints and buttons of their fave girl when they see it, but spending a lot is rarer. if you want to see this in action raise the prices of stuff that's popular with your male customers - they just stop buying it (and their girlfriends buy it for them instead).
>>
>>9555176
I have to agree with this, it's almost always a girl regardless of character/series. I know multiple that are throwing shit down on AA and official preorders and only one is a fujo. Guys from what I noticed tend to be more stingy if something doesn't fit their interpretation/perception. If it fits though, oh my god they will shell out those bucks.
>>
So I'm thinking of making custom face buttons on site for Otakon. They would be 1.25 buttons that the customer can pick up as a product at the table.

Would $5 be a reasonable price to charge for a commissioned button?
>>
>>9555182
That's what I charge for a commissioned button in that size, so yes, I think so.
>>
>>9555159
At AX I witnessed a girl throw down $180 for two commissions of her (apparently rare) OTP; I think the artist was pricing at $45/figure. Adult fujos have just as much spending power as otaku, but from what I've seen, they tend to be more picky with style. The younger ones that squee over FotM fujobait shows are more willing to buy whatever has their current husbando though.
>>
>>9554752
I don't get why people burn bridges willingly. In the long term, you always benefit more when you have less negative relationships. This applies to life in general, not just AA.
>>
>>9555011
please stop posting until youve practiced drawing for another year or two.
This isnt your blog and we've already answered your stupid questions that you repeat in every thread thats made.
>>
>>9555249
Calm down it just a post.

If you get a booth and sell out can you just leave your table? I mean I make my money, what else is there to sell.
>>
>>9555159
Girls, no question about it. Guys are booth barnacles. Always talking about how much they love your art and then they leave with nothing. You think I was going to give you a free poster or something? Compliments don't pay the bills, buddy. Side note- It feels really good to be able to talk shit about customers without having to worry about it getting back to me. Don't waste an artist's time standing around their booth just talking if your ass isn't even buying anything!
>>
>>9555003
ECCC has lowered its standards this year, I saw a lot of shittier deviantart kiddos with no professional experience. Really pissed me off considering I had actual comic exp from companies, marvel/boom/horse etc and was denied
>>
>>9555280
I dunno. Sometimes I get annoyed when people are all talk and no buy, but sometimes I'm genuinely touched even when they walk away without buying a thing. I guess it depends on whether the con is busy and how the compliment was delivered.
>>
How hard is it to actually make money?
>>
>>9555280
I honestly think it depends on what you draw and your style. For instance I get far more guys commissioning me to draw their waifus than I do girls, even though I draw both guy and girl characters. Who knows.
>>
>>9555299
There's a million factors anon. What do you plan to make and sell? Do you already have a following, and is that following the type to throw money at you? Is your art even good? The answers to these types of questions are what determines if it's easy to make money or harder.
>>
>>9555308
>What do you plan to make and sell?
Prints and t-shirts mostly of older series, like HnK, Shigurui, Cobra, Macross, Votoms, and Ashita no Joe. I have a welding and construction background, which I know can be useful, but I don't know how
>Do you already have a following
My sister
>Is your art even good?
It's not terrible., The potential is there, but I am almost completely lacking in any sort of arts education. Plus, when I do draw, it's mostly draw landscapes and still lifes. I've never actually attempted making any fan art before
>>
>>9555323
>HnK, Shigurui, Cobra, Macross, Votoms, and Ashita no Joe
I don't see these being very popular sells, especially Votoms of all things.

>Plus, when I do draw, it's mostly draw landscapes and still lifes. I've never actually attempted making any fan art before
You should probably at least draw some fanart drawn and an online prescience of some sort before you even start.

At the moment, from my point of view, it looks like it will be very hard for you to make money. You've got a lot of work to do.
>>
>>9555159
Girls. I've kept track of (assumed) customer gender for every single con I've got to by individual purchase, girls outnumber guys 2 to 1 consistently from commissions to merch.

The only time I've ever seen a 1:1 ratio is at a furcon.
>>
>>9555323
>HnK
Hokuto no Ken?
>>
>>9555299
>>9555323
>The potential is there
>I've never actually attempted making any fan art before

Only a dude would have an ego so massive that they're this sure they can make fanart good enough to make money when they've literally never made fanart before. How about you try making stuff you like just for fun first, like how the rest of us started, before you start planning your monetization strategies?
>>
>>9555003
Yes, but you're up against pros in artist alley and if your displays/art is not up to par, you're going to have a lot of people speedwalking past or standing in front of your table to wait for a friend who is looking/buying stuff from another artist. I think a lot of artists tend to split tables for big cons because the table price is higher!
>>
>>9555213
I'll burn bridges willingly if someone is fundamentally messed up in some way.. but artist alley table pricing is not even close to that, discussing, suggesting someone price higher for their own good is not worth a bridge burn haha. If THEY AREN'T YOUR FRIENDS anon burns bridges for something so trivial i can't imagine their life as a whole
>>
File: Sei Tei.jpg (134KB, 668x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sei Tei.jpg
134KB, 668x500px
>>9555360
Yes
>>9555368
What is your problem?
>>
I think part of the reason girls outspend men in the AA is the difference in fandom culture. Male fandom is all about cataloging and collecting the source material - knowing the most about official sources, having the most expensive official merchandise.

Female fandom culture is highly interpretive. Fanfiction, fanart, pairings, etc. So in general that lends to an audience more interested in fan merch and the unique pieces that fan merch has to offer.

I don't believe one gender demographic spends more money on merch than another, but I do think they spend their money in different places.
>>
>>9554960
Can I have your friend? They sound awesome. Normies who come to cons to support friends and get in on the hype are just the best.
>>
>>9555299
What's your definition of "making money"? Are you trying to break even, make target profits, make a living?

I don't think it's that hard to break even, making target profits requires at least some experience, and being able to make a living off AA is extremely hard without outside freelance or work if you're coming into this from ground up.
>>
>>9555383
in addition, probably 90% of itabaggers are female (at least in western fandom), not including the male Love Live armor guys who only use official merch

We're willing to spend the $$$ since some people aren't comfortable about buying official merch from Japan or have a smaller series that barely gets any merch. For example, my friend loves Black Jack and there's like 1-2 artists at a con that has good Black Jack merch and she would spend dollas to buy a ton of them to fill up her itabag. Additionally, Voltron (Dreamworks/Netflix version) actually has no official merch, so that fandom relies on fanmerch to fill up their itabags.

It helps that there's more vendors that sell itabag starters at cons so people buy the bag and then shop in artist alley/vendors room for merch for their waifu/husbando/OTP/show.

I'm not an artist, but I kinda disdainfully look at AA tables that are only prints when your art isn't that good? I'm surprised at how many shit-taste weebs that keep these shitty quality artists in business... also I walk past anyone who has that muddy tumblr level of art since I'd rather spend money on something of higher quality.
>>
>>9555394
I'm just hoping to make a small profit
>>
>>9555406
Then just give it a shot at whichever smaller con you can. The best way to find out how much money you can make is to just go out and do it.

Stuff like the artist alley survival guide and how to be a con artist are going to have better details for what you generally need to get started.
>>
>>9555396
I'm kind of the opposite with that last point. I judge artists with meh art selling keychains, charms, etc featuring said meh art. At least prints are cheap, easy to make, and you can store them in a binder. You gotta hang a keychain onto something, so it's like this shitty artist really thinks I'm going to spend $12 on their shitty keychain to hang on a backpack? Hell nah.

Let that be a point to all artists: you can never please all of your customers. We will always judge. Do what makes you happy.
>>
>>9551279
I got in, never went though. Not sure if it's worth it.
>>
Here's something I've been wondering. Does yaoi/gay/slash art sell more or better or less than hetro/nonpairing fan art?

Thoughts?
>>
>>9555483
Depends on the anime
>>
>>9555489

Well of course like YOI, yes. But like general stuff, like Naruto or Hero Academia or Fate Night Zero or yuri stuff for Sailor Moon. The ones with a big cast.
>>
>>9554436
Charge what you can for your prints, anon. I didn't experience any drop in sales when I went from $10 to $12 to $15, and only made more money. With all due respect, it just sounds like your art isn't as valued to the customer at higher pricing, so there's no shame in pricing lower. I wouldn't go back down to $10, but I also know that my art probably isn't good enough to hold itself in the $20 bracket while still upping profit. It's all relative.
>>
>>9555493
i've found that pairing art does best when it falls short of being overtly romantic. I have a couple pairing prints that can also be read as just friendly affection or playful fighting or similar and they do much much better than more romantic prints i've done (i.e with kissing)
>>
>>9555299
making money isn't hard at all, even awful artists make money, but if you want to actually make a living or even enough to consider it a part time job, it takes many months to get it right.
>>
File: Haro.gif (61KB, 310x443px) Image search: [Google]
Haro.gif
61KB, 310x443px
How do you feel about people making merch of cute and simple looking mascots from anime. There's not much official merch of the mascit I had in mind (not pic related) and I think it's a great thing to have if you like the specific anime but don't want to carry around stuff plastered in anime characters (it'll look like some Sanrio goods instead).

The biggest issue I have is that I can draw this mascot too well and I don't want to be accused of tracing.
>>
>>9554135
I need more books/zines in my life!
>>
Hello, i want to ask if anyone knows where i can make heart or star-shaped badges, i saw them in a con and it looks amazing!
>>
>>9555987
You have to buy the button maker it's 500$ ish
>>
>>9556002
Um, no.

>>9555987
Check the last thread. Someone gave their source.
>>
>>9556012
Um, yeah?
I bought mine from here, I'm helping anon through my own personal experience
https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/heart-button-maker.html
>>
>>9556042
How much of a hassel is it to use? I've heard it's kind of a pain in the butt to use.
>>
>>9556186
it's like any other button maker, I love it because I can make a button a day before the con vs having to order it 2 weeks like other people. It's convenience that you're paying for.
>>
>>9555863
If its lucky-san from kemono friends I will die I love him so much

Plz give those underappreciated mascots some love anon
>>
has anyone here heard of or tried seismicart? its a new online sales platform that looks like it want to be a storenvy/tictail competitor. its still in beta rn and i kind of want to try it out but was wondering what other ppl thought...
>>
>>9556227
It is Lucky-san. I plan to start off with a tote and expand to patches, a lanyard, and enamel pins.
>>
>>9556307
nayrt but fuck yes please that sounds great
>>
File: sugoitanoshiimofo.png (115KB, 448x561px) Image search: [Google]
sugoitanoshiimofo.png
115KB, 448x561px
>>9556698
I actually started once I got home. Is there anyways you guys want to receive updates? I don't want to clog up the thread with WIPs
>>
File: Vlcsnap-2013-09-10-20h09m44s196.png (76KB, 297x256px) Image search: [Google]
Vlcsnap-2013-09-10-20h09m44s196.png
76KB, 297x256px
Gulls.

Enamel Pins, they're so hot right now. Where is everyone getting them done? Alibaba or other more reputable places.
>>
>>9557232
WHY DO YOU RETARDS ASK THIS EVERY FUCKING THREAD? Go to Alibaba, type in custom enamel pin, and pick someone with good ratings. Ali isn't going to show you some shitter supplier on the first few pages. Jesus you people are so fucking incompetent.
>>
>>9557232
Notice how I mentioned Alibaba? I'm familiar with it. However I'm not going to trust people in China with the molds, that's how reselling happens.

Like I said, I want to know what place everyone else is using. It's good to have options that other Gull's can stand behind.
>>
>>9557363
"people in china" are responsible for half the shit you see in AAs. if you want cheap manufacturing and cheap labor, china's your only source.
not to mention, when people openly share their sources for enamel pins the overall quality pretty much always tanks. pin community's been dealing with that for the past year. so you're not gonna just get handouts. idiot.
and just so you feel extra paranoid: if aliexpress and other chinese sellers really want to steal your pin idea, they won't need your mold.
>>
>>9557363
>I'm not going to trust people in China with the molds

kek good luck with that ya racist crusty ass
>>
>>9557363
>>9557439
different anon, but I thought this would be a good time to bring this up: Does reselling actually happen this way with no warning often, or is it more of a once in a blue moon thing and is blown up to be some kind of foreign boogie man? Years ago, I thought reselling happened by them going on google and printing it on shit, but recently I heard a rumor that if you read the fine print on a lot of websites (not just Chinese, it could be anyone) that if you upload your artwork to them, they could use it. Now, I haven't done much outsourcing, so I haven't looked into it, but I plan to in the future. Anyone actually see this?
>>
>>9557488
I doubt the people working at these places recognize 99% of the characters in fanart anyway, so they wouldn't know whether or not a design would be popular enough for them to steal anyway.
>>
>>9557488
Okay just for a second, think

Why would established huge companies in China risk their customer's trust over a shitty fanart design resell? Why do you think your art is good enough to steal in the first place? get the fuck over yourselves
>>
>>9557488
Are you talking about websites stating that they have the right to license your work (tumblr, twitter, etc.) or are you talking about terms that actively state that the given website actually own the rights to the work? There's a huge difference between the two and most people's reading comprehension is too crippled to discern the difference.
>>
>>9557488
You dumb headass, what the hell do you think? Gee, would this company risk their reputation and relationship with multiple artists just to make 99 cents? NO, that is absolutely not the norm. I swear AA generals didn't used to be full of retards. Where did you come from, sweetie? AANI? Tumblr?
>>
File: splt.png (322KB, 871x611px) Image search: [Google]
splt.png
322KB, 871x611px
No hate, but had this show up in my inbox at the exact same time. Thought it was amusing.
>>
If I vend at a convention, but I'm taking a bus there, what would be the best way to bring all of my stuff? Anyone else use megabus to get to their cons?
>>
>>9557816
Suitcase...?
>>
>>9557816
Second on suitcase. I personally can't think of anything else that would A) fit a decent amount of stuff in and have good proportions to work with and B) if you are self conscious what people (whether other bus goers or employees) think of you, to not be out of place. I know most buses have a storage place but a suitcase will get no weird stares while a sealed box or tote might. Not to mention suitcases are easier to carry once you arrive at the con. Just in case you can carry fragile and valuables (such as your float) in your bag/ "carry on" though. Carrying totes and boxes until you get your taxi or whatever is a pain in the ass.

Never used a bus for this, but that's my two cents.
>>
>>9557589
I think you need to lie down for a moment sweetheart. Its time to stop posting.
>>
>>9557816
Suitcase like >>9557822 and >>9557859 said, but depending on your stock/travel needs/budget/etc, another option is to ship directly to the convention. Many (although of course not all) conventions are used to vendors shipping and will have a specific ATTN that you can ship to, and have someone related to the con receive it for you.
>>
>>9557786
The squid girl in the back on the one on the right looks great from what I can see, but desu the one in the front is just too awkward and uncanny that if I had to choose between the two, I'd buy the one on the left.
>>
>>9555483

As an artist who sells only fujoshit, what I'm realizing is that people would rather see pinups of their boys and not necessarily their boys together. Unless you're doing like the most obvious ship from a show where there aren't ship wars, you're going to constantly be segmenting your audience by what ship you draw. Pairings are highly subjective whereas a cute boy can be gay or straight.
>>
>>9555483

Also a fujo, >>9557974 is accurate. Unless the fandom has a big main ship, like Yoi, then it's better to do individuals. For example, Free!, I love Rei but I hate Nagisa and everyone fucking makes pairing art of them so I almost never find art I like. Plus if you do get a hardcore shipper customer, they'll buy both of their boys and then you get double sales. I imagine it's similar with hetero pairings. I also notice people who are buying gifts are more likely to lean towards singles, I get a lot of boyfriends buying art for their girlfriends and they're too embarrassed to buy ship art but more than happy to buy a sexy pinup of a single.
>>
Where do I go to find out what's popular with weebs so I can lured and cash in? Is there such a place other then 4chan?
>>
>>9558090
Fuck off.
>>
I'm wondering what are some conventions in the new england area are worth signing up for the artist alley. I just finished up with Ctcon and made good money, I was planning on anime boston next. I tried Retro World Expo back in October and that was poorly managed, but I'm just looking to start doing a decent con-circuit.
>>
>>9557965
>>9557786
I just thought it was funny because, despite the very different styles, it's almost the same composition and poses and they were submitted at the same time. I can't wait to see all the splatoon 2 fanart at cons that are almost copies of each other. It'll be persona fanart all over again.
>>
>>9558090
If you're serious, tumblr. Warning though: Someone out there will always be cheaper than you. Someone out there will always be better than you. Don't only stick to popular stuff or you will be burned like all of the average-tier people at A-Kon.
>>
>>9557963
to add to this, you can apparently also ship to hotels. I've had customers on Etsy have me ship their purchase to hotels before.

>>9558090
genuinely, http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/trending
>>
>>9557896
>trying to make Akon feel bad for destroying a literal retard
Nayrt but lol wow why wk some rando, they aren't going to suck your metaphorical dick
>>
>>9558145
>http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/trending
This is a method I had never considered, and now I know that the black squid girl is apparently super popular, but I also kind of hate myself for viewing that many terrible memes.
>>
>>9557816
I've used megabus, but not for a con. For the amount of terrible reviews they have, they're actually quite nice! My return trip with them had an especially pleasant driver, and everyone seemed to be pretty normal (compared to what I hear about the Greyhound crowd). They probably have a luggage size limitation, but I'm not sure because I didn't have luggage when I rode with them.
>>
>>9557896
Stop defending anons who can't even use Google. This thread is not your shopping agent.
>>
Random vent but this always bugs me on store listings

I find a lot of artists who run online stores and make shirts rarely ever put in the item details about how the shirt was printed. (ie screen printed or sublimation )

Please put that shit in the description yo.
>>
>>9558447
You can tell from the photos 99% of the time if it's screenprinted or sublimated though. Sublimation is all over printing, usually with full color images. Screen printing is like max 6 colors, usually 1-2 colors. You can literally see the raised ink on screenprinted shirts in product photos, anon.
>>
>>9557363
china's philosophy is to copy and resell whatever is popular. wherever you source your job and it apparently does well a dozen outside knockoffs will take it an copy it/alter a little. You will never know because it'll be vended off to other bootleg shops or local shops to add to their inventory.
>>
So I saw someone selling their comic for $5..and I see it has up to issue 4. Next to single issue was a pre-bagged set of 1-4 for $20, am I wrong to expect that in AA it should've been priced with some discount??? I ended up walking, but felt that pinch had it been priced reduced as a set I would have picked it up so that person lost a sale from me.
>>
>>9554697
I keep a binder full of posters I bought. I get your reason to hang them up but is that not an option for?
>>
Have you ever had customers try to haggle when buying multiple items? Aka they want a deal on multiple items (X prints, Y buttons, Z keychains) that you don't already have deals on? What do you do?
>>
>>9558479
That's called entitlement that you're feeling anon.
>>
>>9558517
a) stick to your guns, maybe lose the sale/reduced sale
b) come to an agreement, sell more merch
>>
>>9558517
I think as long as you're making profit and its not going to make you sell out early its fine to do those kind of deals. At the end of the day you just want to make more money than you'd have otherwise made right?

The exception is if the item is already selling very well and you'll sell out anyways, then you could possibly be losing some money by offering a sale on those.

Of course most of the time its probably a few items that are hot mixed with a few items that are not so hot. In general I offer deals on those just to get the not so hot items moving (again, as long as overall I'm coming out ahead on profit).

Also I don't offer special deals to people if there's other customers around, sometimes I tell them to come back at the end of the day.
>>
>>9558479
While it's common to have set deals, the artist is by no means obligated to give a discount...and seriously, you can't dish out $5 a piece for a comic? I'd say that's more of a problem on your end.
>>
>>9558479

Their profit margin on each book is a couple dollars at best, anon. Books are expensive to make and 5 bucks is super cheap. They probably could have added a cheap exclusive like a sticker or something but I can understand why they'd be reluctant to lower the cost for a bundle. You're kind of a brat.
>>
>>9558517

If it's the last few hours of a con, I'll consider it. But if it's too early or they're trying to haggle for expensive items, I just tell them I can't afford to let those items go for those prices. If it's end of con and I don't feel like haggling at all then I just tell them I'm planning to sell at another con or online and need the stock for that.
>>
Does anyone know the name of the people who always do the Legend of Zelda themed table? They sell Moo Moo Milk candles, Rupee bags, things like that. I want to see if they have an online store since I forgot to head back there during AX.
>>
>>9558517
It depends for me. Obviously asking for deals on a few things that already have them is a no go. But if they're seriously about to spend over 75 dollars at my table, I'm willing to give them a little discount or something extra. Overall, in a situation like that, the amount "lost" in the sale is so minuscule. I'm also more open to haggling on the last day.

>>9558479
You sound like you still use your allowance money.
>>
>>9553969
Do you have any of the other maps? I've been trying to figure out how to get the map and failing miserably?
>>
>>9558450
Not if the image is a mock up though. And some people still do more minimal design with DTG
>>
>>9558483
Oh yeah, I do have a binder also for larger prints! So I guess when I said I never buy large prints that wasn't completely true...it's just an extreme rarity. I've been going to cons for several years now and in that time I've bought about 10-15 larger prints to go in the binder (as opposed to the postcard-sized prints, which I have so many I've lost count, somewhere upwards of 50).
>>
>>9558607
You need to sign up for a free account on this website: https://webcatalog-free.circle.ms/
Then you can access the online map for Comiket.
>>
File: 20170712_094921.png (161KB, 975x747px) Image search: [Google]
20170712_094921.png
161KB, 975x747px
>con sends email with convention map.

>gridwalls of any size are banned.
AA is split into two seperate rooms with 8 people shoved into a second room.
>>
>>9558910
hope the people in the small room weren't hoping to make any money.
>>
>>9558447
If normal t shirt companies don't do it why should artists? I agree with >>9558450 you can just tell by looking
>>
>>9554968
Seconding this!
>>
>>9558947
To play devil's advocate, a lot of buyers ARE retarded. Unless you make it plain as day and zero effort, you are going to get questions about it. If the artist is cool with that, full speed ahead.
>>
>>9558999
>a lot of buyers ARE retarded
Okay you're right I totally forgot
>>
>>9558999
I dunno about this case, but if a buyer does ask a question it's a good chance to talk you shit up.

EX
>buyer points to shirt
Uh how did you print these?
You: oh! A shop custom screen prints for me in small batches. I'm glad you pointed out *shirt character*, they're super fun to draw cause they're so cute

Or say something like you get a good discount from the printer so your prices seem good
>>
>>9558947
What the hell are you talking about. A lot of normal online shops DO specify.

I'm too nervous to DM the artist about it because then I feel obligated to buy when I'm unsure about the purchase. So instead I dont purchase at all and they are losing out on a potential sale.

Sorry its too difficult for them to write one sentence about whether its screen printed or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>9559056
I wonder if these sellers know the difference. I'm sure many do, but others probably just get them made in China and hope they come out ok enough to sell
>>
>>9554125
>I was helping sell t-shirts with my roommate in the exhibitors hall all weekend.
>On the last day a guy came up to me and was like "this shirt is cool, give it to me for $20"
>I explain that the artists are completely independent and can't justify lowering the costs.
>"fine I'll buy a shirt somewhere else"
>"Okay?"
>The guy gets mad and goes "fuck your ugly ass shirts" and walks away

I'm pretty shocked at the level of entitlement some people had. On the first day we were having issues with our card reader, and this girl was getting annoyed with having to wait and kept demanding we lower the cost of the $5 washi tape she was buying, all the while she kept putting more and more of our free stickers into her purse (as if I didn't notice). When she finishes the transaction she's like "I get free stickers now right?" and grabs another handful and walks off.
>>
>>9559056

>I'm too nervous to DM the artist
what are u fucking retarded
>>
>>9555159
I have a very, very, very even table that doesn't appeal to either gender. My style is directly is the middle of the road, and I have as many waifus as I have husbandos, and nothing at my booth is sexualized in any way.

Girls always buy the most stuff. They get their favorite yaoi pairs together, or all my merch of a certain husbando, and they're always really happy about it. Guys will pick up a keychain or two of their waifus, or maybe buy my 3 for 30 print deal, but rarely do I have a guy spend more than 40 at my table. Of course both are very valued customers and I love everyone, but this is just my observation.
>>
>>9559056
It's really not that hard to ask, anon. Learn to br a functioning human being.
>>
>>9558910
Naughty artists get banished to the shadow realm artist alley
>>
File: Youwhatnow.jpg (355KB, 489x901px) Image search: [Google]
Youwhatnow.jpg
355KB, 489x901px
Is there seriously someone on AANI acting entitled over someone elses IP and getting mad that they asked for people to not to sell merch of it?
>>
Also since when in the fuck is organizing markers considered a WIP?

I know being Annie I shouldn't be surprised but fuck.
>>
is anyone sick to death of 'x but animal crossing!'
i've seen it done with overwatch alone like eight times.
>>
>>9559520
No, but I'm biased because animal crossing is one of my absolute favorite games. I can see how it'd get tiring.

>>9559511
I can't find this post anywhere, did they delete it? Sorta related, but I noticed before AX someone posted a WIP of a NITW print they were making, but no one called them out on it. I was waiting for it to explode since that's the one of the few things AANI is justifiably annoying about.
>>
File: MdbaEC4_d.jpg (24KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
MdbaEC4_d.jpg
24KB, 640x360px
>>9559479
I'VE BEEN GOOD DON'T SEND ME TO THE SHADOW REALM.

There's two other artist I know tablimg at the con so hopefully we're close enough to keep each other company.
>>
>>9559520
Honestly I'm only bothered by it because people use the same animals for a lot of them so they end up looking really similar.
>>
>>9558910
This is taking place near my hometown and I'm not even going to be around for it. Now I'm just sad.
>>
>>9559511

Yeah I've been seeing this attitude recently in the fandom for a podcast I listen to. Kids don't understand they have it fucking good being able to sell any fanart AT ALL, now it's apparently their right because "once you release something it belongs to your FANS and you can't control what people do with it".

Like just admit that you wanted to piggyback on someone elses IP to make money and stop trying to vilify the creator to make yourself look right. All fanartists are criminals, just learn to live with yourself. If you genuinely love a thing then respect the creator. Why is this so hard for some people?
>>
Can you guys add a second on daki straps to the faq or resources docs?
>>
>>9559625
*section
>>
>>9559511
That "get the fuck over it" makes me a little salty. I guess the post was deleted because I don't see her wipw anymore
>>
>>9559511
Would it be wrong to do a callout post for people like this? I have a tumblr with a decent amount of followers (unassociated with my name and art) and sometimes I'm just so damn tempted, you know?

>>9559625
That whole doc is actually a bit out of date. We should probably dedicate the next thread to compiling some new sources.
>>
>>9559654
The artist list is out of date too. I was looking for artists to commission and half of the shops are dead.
>>
>>9559640
The person that posted the wip wasn't the one that was throwing a bitchfit. Looks like she deleted it since NITW is a no go for merch and the drama that was unfolding on her post.
>>
>>9559662
Yeah I saw when she originally posted it. I felt bad for her because she didn't know and because of the drama that suddenly happened
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (681KB, 918x594px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
681KB, 918x594px
Ok, the idea I'm having for this print is one of those big Love Live start screen spreads, with the girls in space marine suits. Right now I'm just sketching out the µ's girls. I know this is really rough. (and the heads are going to probably shrink a lot more, yikes)

I think it could be funny as a really detailed finished print but my boyfriend thinks it's an awful idea and I shouldn't waste my time. What do you think, gulls?
>>
Is source anon still around? Looking for a place to do those faux moleskin notebooks with a low moq
>>
>>9559696
keep it on your blog
>>
>>9559696
i don't get it
>>
>>9559733
>>9559734

Well, I think that answers that. Not going to work on this one any further.
>>
>>9558518
>>9558540
>>9558568
>>9558581
Welll Shiiiiiieeeeet... ha ha, well I don't comment on the fleecing of the attendees with dollar prints selling for 15-20+ dollars. Since I do that too! It's what the market suggests bruh!!

I paid more for single issues and books myself, just wanted to point this out since I bought from other artist if that makes you happy that were priced higher but offered a paired/mutli purchase offer deal.

But no big deal..grill lost a sell on that simple call to stick to her pricing. no problem.
>>
>>9559766
This comment is a mess.
>>
>>9558517
Easy, calculate what the total cost of all the items would have been, and just knock a tad down to another even number.

Do the estimate in your head quickly and say the new number without flinching. As long as they see they got something even a $5 off that would have been a sale.

And seeing that 5$ comic issue, as anon pointed toss in one print if they seem to question the sell in their head, you get those that have bought deals from others and flinch at non-deals.
>>
>>9559696
i think it will be cute but won't sell
spees muhreens are not animu enough
>>
>>9558540
>and seriously, you can't dish out $5 a piece for a comic?
read: I would have bought more bruh
>>
>>9559766
I'm just gonna comment on the bit that I understood from your comment...but maybe you should have suggested it to her instead? If you didn't ask her about getting a deal, apparently the only one who cares she lost a sale is you.
>>
>>9559766

I mean, you say it's no big deal, but obviously her pricing choice offended you enough that you felt compelled to post about it on cgl.
>>
>>9559766
>>9559792
how hard do you have to try to use bruh and grill like that?

All you did was show you're an idiot for buying things higher priced but some how thinking $20 for 4 books was too much. What I would tell that artist to do from now on is sell their books for $7ea. and give a discount of $25 for 4 because of idiots like you. (Or $10 ea, 35 for 4 really), the fact that you could complain about $5 is just sad.
>>
>>9554125
Someone asked me to draw a butt with a dick on it, i was super confused...
>>
>>9559875
dickbutt?
>>
File: dickbutt.gif (317KB, 1000x720px) Image search: [Google]
dickbutt.gif
317KB, 1000x720px
>>9559875
>>
>>9559511
>commie gamedev is protective of his own intellectual property
Ironic, but not surprising.
>>
>>9559875
Pretty sure AX banned all 18+ material, did you report them to staff?
>>
>>9560093
Calm down, mom. It's just a meme.
>>
>>9560093
I'm sure you're trolling, but AX banned 18+ material for NEXT year, anything at this year was fine.
>>
>>9560243
I wonder how staff plans on enforcing it next year or if this is all a scare tactic due to that volunteer and "problematic" artist. I have no problem with people selling 18+ and just requiring to see ID before selling.
>>
Who makes the best sticker sheets?
Anyone you guys prefer?
>>
>>9560249
Requiring ID was the rule they had before. Next year is a blanket ban on 18+ stuff in the Artist Alley.

Have you ever tabled at AX? They have volunteers come by every 30 minutes to make sure you don't have more than 2 people behind per table. There are random height checks every day to make sure you didn't raise your display after the initial check. They randomly ask you about seller's permit on any given day to make sure you're not "breaking rules". They've got annoying rule brigade organized to a T. (It was actually pretty funny this year because I was told no less than 6 times that I can't have more than 2 people behind a table despite the fact that I bought 2 tables, so technically I was allowed 4. I had to remind them of this every single time.) I'm sure they'll be sending volunteers to do NSFW sweeps next year.
>>
So I have to figure out how to make us a PVC pipe frame for our prints for a con in a few weeks and I have no idea how to start.

I mean, I've found the basic guidelines but how do you guys attach your prints to it and make sure it's stable over the weekend?
>>
>>9560369
>how do you guys attach your prints to it and make sure it's stable over the weekend?
take a drink and hope to god for the best
>>
>>9560369
Easy answer: tape
Slightly more complicated answer: clips and binder rings
If you have the money to spend answer: photo stand + backdrop with your prints attached or clear snaprails or laminated display prints with rings attached.
>>
>>9560093
HOW DO U BAN COMMISSIONS HURRDURR
>>
>>9559819
>complain about $5 is just sad.

The fact that you focused on the item description and what I said was an insignificant amount is the sad part...either u are the artist with something of this sort or have no open mind into consumer bargaining can be discussed here without nit-picking aspects to put the original post to shame. So go ahead nit-pick the first few words and not think anymore past "didn't want to spend 5$?!" could you please highlight where I even said I was interested in buying ONE copy? Sad gril is a sad gril bruh!
>>
>>9559875
I'm actually pretty happy to hear that they're still around and kicking. Hopefully they'll be around next year too when I start tabling again.
>>
>>9560533
You said that you were interested in picking up a copy here.
>had it been priced reduced as a set I would have picked it up so that person lost a sale from me.

????
>>
>>9559766
what the fuck does this say
>>
>>9558573
Might be these people? https://www.etsy.com/shop/HeroWaresNSupplies

>>9560533
Do you try to haggle at normal stores like Walmart or Starbucks and then complain that they're not open minded toward consumer bargaining?
>>
>>9560533
This is so stupid.
Your complaints are dumb and your typing style is intolerable.

Artists lose sales by not pricing their stuff lower in every single situation. I price my prints at 15, and I'm losing sales for people who would have bought them at 10. If I priced them at 10, I am losing sales from people who would have bought them at 5. If I price them at 5, I'm losing sales from people who would have bought if I priced it at 1.

You're also complaining about "consumer bargaining" when you literally said in your original post you just walked away from the booth. Where is the bargaining? No where did you ask if they could lower the price for you.

It's a stupid point to bring up. The artist prices what they think is fair. I don't understand why you're bitching on cgl about this other than you're angry that buying four books would eat your entire $20 allowance for the week.
>>
File: 20170713_182738.png (2MB, 1080x1053px) Image search: [Google]
20170713_182738.png
2MB, 1080x1053px
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, I didn't see anything in the last few threads.
Does anyone know where to get these covers? I'm also interested in actual notebooks with the strap. I found some sellers on etsy who have had them made but I feel like it would be rude to ask.
>>
>>9560605
And it's not rude to ask us because...?
>>
>>9560605
Probably some merchant on Alibaba
A lot of artists are not willing to share where they get their products made (and will absolutely get angry if you ask), but it's usually someone in China
>>
File: 1499657991719.jpg (122KB, 881x583px) Image search: [Google]
1499657991719.jpg
122KB, 881x583px
>>9560093
>>9560243
>>9560249
>>9560356

Is this for real? I really wanted to table net year but I do a lot of nsfw I wanted to sell on the down-low.
I don't get it, if it's true. AX is partnered wit FAKKU, and the dealer's room is full of doujinshi.

Does this mean a ban on doujinshi too? If not, would I have to get a dealer's hall booth to sell my naughty works?
>>
>>9560605
Why are you so against looking it up for yourself? Every time someone asks a question like this for merch I haven't made yet I look it up and 9 times out of 10 I find multiple suppliers in 10 minutes. It's not that hard.
>>
>>9560684
No ban on doujins in the Dealer's Hall. Nothing NSFW in the Artist Alley. Yes, it's a stupid rule.
>>
>>9560702
Is this really because of that cunt "volunteer"?
>>
>>9560730
No one knows for sure? AX hasn't given a reasoning for the ban. I know a lot of artists are trying to email them to get them to change their minds but who knows if anything will come from that.
>>
>>9560685
>Why are you so against looking it up for yourself?
Never said I was. I've searched but still haven't found exactly what I'm hoping for, my bad for not writing so in my post

>>9560658
Thanks, I figured it's gotta be. I did find a nice seller of PU notebooks with the strap but I'm more interested in the covers since I kind of like the idea of being able to reuse them.
>>
>post WIP of merch concept/idea on AANI many moons ago
>doesn't receive that much attention but whatever, got good feed back from friends
>see artist i know is also in AANI posting on twitter nearly identical 'wip' of same concept
>check old post from AANI
>they liked it

what do I do, gulls? It's not so original that someone conceivably couldn't randomly come up with the same idea, but I know they've seen my work. I don't want to cause drama but this person is known for doing that whole 'screencaps shit out of context to baww about how people bully her' thing.
>>
>>9560834
This is why i've stopped posting on AANI. Feels like they're just copying others work now.
>>
>>9560834

Privately message her to basically call her out on it, politely, and if she gets pissed go public? I mean, if you want recourse (which would be her not making the print or whatever) you're gonna have to confront her. Otherwise let it be and move on. I would think that doing so privately would at least give her a graceful way out of the situation.
>>
>>9560605
There may be cheaper options on Alibaba but I've printed with http://original.bookblock.com/ and I've been happy with the results. Caveat: the site says they print books once a month, it's more like once every couple months.

(Sorry for not showing solidarity >>9560647 >>9560658 >>9560685 I understand if others don't want to share their sources but it's not something I've ever had any qualms about myself.)
>>
>>9560834
Can you show us the comparison? I've had something similar happen on AANI as well where someone bought my merch after seeing an SPS post and then proceeded to make the exact same concept for the same fandom. The concept itself was too common within that fandom for me to say anything but knowing they saw my work and bought it before they decided make "their own version" left a shitty taste in my mouth.

It really sucks because you know you can't say anything about it or you'll get accused of bullying but you have proof that this person saw your WIP first. I'm sorry anon.
>>
>>9560834
How common is this? I feel like we spoke about this yesterday, but if I'm being crazy just ignore me.
>>
>>9560924
Sometimes, it's honestly just a case of people using the same motifs from the same fandom. Other times, someone might have seen something on their TL and forgotten where the source came from before they started working on their piece. And then there are the few times where it actually directly is a rip.
>>
>>9559619
Don't sperg out on fanart just because The Adventure Zone fandom is a fucking cesspit now that Monster Factory got big.
>>
>>9560933
>using the same motifs from the same fandom
This. Sometimes it's too close for comfort, but honestly, sometimes it's just people finding inspiration in the stuff they're bombarded with (ie. other fanart/merch).
>>
>>9560933
Oh, I can understand that. Nothing is original and you can't copyright certain things or get butthurt over others doing similar things as you. But it's not right to poach an idea AND pose AND composition. Especially when you have a larger following and the other artist has very little presence online. Again, there's nothing wrong with inspiration but there is something wrong with being too lazy to change anything from the source material.
>>
>>9560908
It's not that we don't want to share sources. It's just that it usually takes less than 10 minutes of searching to find something and people show up here multiple times a day expecting to be spoonfed.
>>
>>9560947
are you like... referring to a specific incident or something?
>>
>>9560730
>>9560684

Last year they tried to force everyone selling in the exhibit hall to submit to background checks and a safety course, artists, dealers, and all dealers employees, as something related to their "youth safety policy". The volunteer/artist thing might have given them a good excuse to do something they had wanted to do anyway, honestly. I imagine there's either pressure from the city or some safety groups to be more child friendly, or there's some money in it for AX somewhere if they become more child friendly.
>>
>>9560936

What part of that is sperging? Fanart selling IS illegal, why do you think DMCA takedowns and C&D happen? I draw and sell fanart too, and the moment a company asks people to knock it off, I knock it off. I'm not judging everyone else who sells it, but I'm not gonna act all fucking entitled about it like the person in >>9559511 I know I'm walking a fine line and other artists who don't just make trouble for the rest of us who are trying to keep our heads down.

Also Adventure Zone fandom is a cesspit because they put lesbians in it and then it blew up with SJW tumblr children and the brothers are too nice to tell them to knock off their crazy shit. Idk why you think Monster Factory is a factor, most TAZ fans literally don't watch any other McElroy stuff. But no one else in this thread gives a fuck about that.
>>
How many cons do you guys usually go to per year?
>>
>>9560543
>happy
Why?
>>
>>9560561
>This is so stupid.
>Your complaints are dumb and your typing style is intolerable.
yep and you end with <insert petty insult..>>9560561
>would eat your entire $20 allowance for the week.

You are very petty and an immature mind to lash at that level on each of your post. And to continue why I did not bother with bartering is that this person (maybe it was you) have been doing it for years...let it be a lesson, while a customer seemingly is debating the "value" - step it up, defend your work, offer a reason to buy your stuff..instead me and my friend waited a few minutes and well walked away and shrugged off your work and gave it to another. Amusing you are calling me mad, as I am trying to help those recognize their own faults at losing sales which was my intent to make a discussion instead turn into an epeen pride hold your prices/and you must be poor - that is the stupid knee-jerk response that shows immaturity in being able to respond anonymously. Yes people can stick to your prices, but step up speak. instead turn it around on the attendee that are on the line to donate to your hobby. Not everyone will be a haggler on the other end of the spectrum as well, but if anyone willing to spending more than 5min at your table and walks away without giving you a buck just remember to tell yourself it's only a hobby.
>>
>>9561238

So, now you're mad because a girl didn't give you enough attention. Got it.
>>
>>9561238
Nayrt, but multiple people have pointed out that your posts are annoying and rambly. There are too many run-on sentences which makes your typing style stick out like a thumb.

Your advice isn't even solid? A lot of congoers are socially awkward and feel really harassed if you start to give them a sell speech about your work. I personally give my customers their own space to check out my work and flip through my portfolio so they don't feel pressured. I usually end up making more sales than an acquaintance of mine who always comes off like a pushy car salesman. It'd be one thing if you were interested in the work and initiated a convo only to be ignored. If you didn't say anything, the artist could just have been politely giving you your space.

Anyway, cry more about $20 being too steep. Stop accusing random anons of being the artist you didn't buy from because you disagree with them. You aren't "helping" anyone considering that the artist you're talking about probably doesn't even lurk here? Even if they did, your details were too vague for the situation to apply to a ton of artists.
>>
>>9561238
Do you mind if I try rewording what you're getting at? It sounds like you're saying:

- Inherently, if artists offer any sort of packaged item, it should be priced at an automatic discount if they care about making sales
- You are interested in using this example as a teaching point for the artists on this board to learn how to price better in order to not lose sales
- It is on the artist to engage the customer in order to close the sale
- A customer buying = donating to artist's "hobby"
- Print pricing = fleecing attendees

And you've also mentioned that you're an artist/seller yourself, if I'm not mistaken.

It's not to say you don't have valid points (closing the sale is always on the seller), but you're getting blow back because your tone and language choice isn't exactly inviting to actual discussion.
>>
>>9561238
If I were the artist I would not feel bad at all about "losing" a sale to a person who values my work so little they didn't buy it because $20 was too ridiculous for four comics.
>>
>>9561266
>>9561267
>>9561275
>>9561315

Just stop engaging, anon obviously doesn't give a shit about anything anyone here has to say.
>>
>>9561390
As soon as they ignored my suggestion that the artist should price higher so their sale price is $25 instead it was obvious they just wanted to talk shit lol. I would sage but the thread is already on auto sage
>>
>>9557439
I think you need to look up the definition of racist.
>>
>>9561238
I know that talking to you is like talking to a wall but just three threads ago or so, we had someone complaining that deals are a pain in the ass for the consumer. You can't win for losing. Apparently you're always going to piss someone off for stupid shit.
>>
Seriously wtf is with people thinking art is worth so little? The amount of effort, time, and literal pain put into art is worth WAY more than your average retail cash register job that people scream about $7.50/hour not being enough (which I agree), but for the prices artists are charging ($5/comic) we are getting $1.50/hour, and yet people think that's still too much.
I really want to see these normies try to draw.
>>
>>9561856
>I really want to see these normies try to draw.
Normies are the ones spending the big bucks. Normies don't mind. They think anyone who can draw is a god who should be treated as such. It's the shitty artists who bitch. It's the hardcore weebs who bitch.
>>
>>9561856
people don't realise how hard it is at times, and sometimes people are entitled. the only people i have had not try to haggle me down in commission prices are either artists themselves, or have a lot of friends who are professional artists.
>>
>>9561856
Question on a related note to this. I'm a craft artist, and my cheapest pieces would have to be sold for a minumum of $25-30 in order to make any profit. Would this be viable in an AA? I have no idea if anything would sell at prices that high.
>>
>>9562119
It depends on what sort of items you're selling? I have 3D items priced at $30~35 and I still move them fairly quickly.
>>
Is vendor drama welcome in the AA threads, or should that be its own discussion? Wanted to check before making an unnecessary new thread.
>>
>>9562208
I live for drama, anon. Spill.
>>
>>9562119
As >>9562155 it depends, I've seen that sort of price selling, even higher, but again it depends on what you make. It would really help if you have a card reader to take larger transactions as some customers prefer to hold onto cash if they could.

I mostly sell amigurumi and they ball park as low as $8 to $30. While I don't cheap myself on the wage, they aren't priced for normal retail sadly - I believe it's something like:

"materials + hourly labor = wholesale x 2 = retail"

And technically I'm selling at "wholesale".
>>
>>9562208
Yeah, it's actually helpful. No one wants to buy from a suspect vendor/vendor with bad products.
>>
>>9562208
FUCKING SPILL IT
>>
>>9561856
>Seriously wtf is with people thinking art is worth so little?
this statement cringes of a certain angry artist print prices...
but looking at 10-15-20 a print, I don't see the comparison of that 1.50 hr rationale. Independent comics on the other hand varies from 5-7 I've seen, but it's mass produced just like the prints. Are the whiners bitching about the prices having a hard time selling them? Raise the prices and good luck with that.
>>
>>9562119
I took a break on doing prints for an AA and did a handful of 3D crafts for fun, not thinking too much if they would sell, I made 2 custom designs a small and a large.. My initial price ranged from 20 and 60, but realized I put a lot of work and just brought a handful of a dozen pieces. And raised it to 30 and 80, mind you I was sharing a table and just thought it would draw just stares, questions. I sold everything on the first day. Surprised me there was a interest in my fanart crafts.
>>
>>9562208
is it concerning slave labor wages or bootleg merch?
>>
Does love live sell? I always wonder if fandoms that already have loads of official merch are even worth making fanmerch for.
>>
>>9562119
I'd check any similar competitor item pricing and charge the same, but if nobody is selling anything near what you made then charge more only if you are confident in your product and finish quality.
>>
File: recettear.png (202KB, 440x488px) Image search: [Google]
recettear.png
202KB, 440x488px
>>9561856
>>
>>9562469
If trying to sell Osomatsu taught me anything the answer is no.
>>
>>9562469
Love Live is the #1 offender of 20,000 reblogs and 0 customer situations. Tabled next to someone with a table that was predominantly Love Live merch. So many people came up to her, had conversations, booth barnacled it up, but she just wasn't selling anything. It was so weird!
>>
>>9562588
>GET OUT OF MY STORE
>6' table
kek
>>
>>9562469
If you don't love it and there's tons of official merch, don't do it! I've seen so many last chance baskets of osomatsu charms (good for hardcore fans who want to make an itabag though)
>>
>>9562784
>>9562647
Weird, Osomatsu-san is my top seller in the couple prints I have of it.

I feel like a lot of people don't know what it is though?
I've only done small cons though where no one else had anything of it.
>>
>>9562248
>>9562260
>>9562306
>>9562445

There's lots of screenshots involved so I put them in an imgur album.

http://imgur.com/a/UGc3N

Full disclaimer, I was one of the comments in the album. So sorry if it seems like selfposting, but I honestly had little to do with the situation besides leaving a comment on it when it was happening.
>>
>>9562802
I don't want to get too into this because 4chan is so known to side against "those tumblrina sjws" lol but..

Mashumewro just sound stupid.
Marshmewlo is actually understandable

Either go with Myaashumaro or keep it all english.
>>
>>9562802
Saw it was about my favorite convention vendor, was worried you were going to ruin them for me, but omg 10000000000000000% more respect to them.

I am so happy they not only stood by the name, but pointed out how calling everything racist de-legitimizes actual racism.
>>
>>9562862
I actually agree that the name is fine and not racist, but it seems like they really overreacted with their response. It would have been really really easy to explain nicely.
>>
>>9562469
My table is predominantly love live and surprisingly my merch of Muse moved faster than Aqours. But despite that, it still sells very well for me.
>>
>>9562862
I think the bigger problem that everyone was getting all caught up in was the manner in which they responded. The name is fine, but I also think taking the straightshot to calling the person stupid for thinking the name was racist was a little bit too much. They're a company with customers to please, after all, so they could have at least disagreed/rejected the accusation more respectfully. But idk, they got their point across lol
>>
>>9562895
>>9562886
jumping from "hey this could be seen as potentially racist" to "YOU'RE CALLING US RACIST!" really makes me think they're the over sensitive stupid ones.
>>
File: marshmallo.jpg (85KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
marshmallo.jpg
85KB, 1024x768px
>>9562802
Yikes is right, anon

>>9562886
This basically. The name itself wasn't a huge deal - it's actually kind of unoriginal considering all the "cute" characters that exist with similar names like Masyumaro and Mashimaro. Like others have suggested - Nyaashumaro would have worked better anyway instead of trying to mix English and Japanese together. All they had to do was explain the origins of the name instead of throwing a fucking shitfit and going full ape on customers by going "DO YOU KNOW HOW OFFENSIVE IT IS TO BE CALLED A RACIST????" I can guarantee you that actual racism sucks more than being accused of racism but I'm sure acting like the victim in this case makes them feel better.

It's the absolutely immature way they handled a polite suggestion that put a bad taste in my mouth. I always thought their stuff was cute but I probably won't buy from them anymore if this is the way they treat well intentioned customers.

>>9562845
I think there's even an argument to be made that they're catering to an American market so even though it's innocuous "Mashumewro" COULD potentially sound racist to some people. Marshmewllow or Nyaashumaro like you suggested would get rid of any unfortunate connotations.
>>
>>9562886
>>9562895
Some people just see normalizing the word "racism/racist" as a bad thing. As they should.
>>
>>9562802
tagging in their employee as if to prove that because they employed an asian person, they can't be racist makes me laugh. i get that it's a small company, but imagine your boss doing that.
>>
>>9562928
The original comment just politely pointed out that it could possibly be misconstrued as racist. No one was being accused of outright racism and lmao that's not even what "normalizing racism" is.
>>
>>9562946
>pointed out that it could possibly be misconstrued as racist. No one was being accused of outright racism
There is no difference at all.

>that's not even what "normalizing racism" is.
Remember when racism was denying people of certain skin color service? Now it is a meanless term because literally anything is labeled as racist.
>>
>>9562953
Racism is, and always has been, a lot of different things. Point is, it doesn't even matter if the original plushie name is racist or not. As a business you don't talk like that to a customer no matter how misinformed they are. There are tons of ways they could have handled it better.
>>
>>9562953
I've actually been denied service at a restaurant for being Asian and you're still wrong. Normalizing racism is when you make racist things acceptable in society not "its okay to call people racist now :(((("

As >>9562963 said, racism isn't just big things like kicking people out of stores for skin color. It can be small shit too. That's not the point of this anyway since it's about how the vendor handled criticism. Most of us here agree that the original name wasn't racist.
>>
>>9562862
I don't think they were being racist, but they seriously overreacted. I used to like their stuff but now I've lost a lot of respect for them. Their first response wasn't bad, it was how they continued to call out the poster. Bad social media management there.
Also nice that they got their token Asian to chime in. I'm sure he'll love one hugs when he's done unloading the truck.
>>
>>9562886
How is that an overreaction? Someone accused them of being fucking racist when they weren't, and they retaliated appropriately. You think everyone just has to sit back and accept whatever SJW bullshit is thrown at them? I bet it was a white bitch who made the comment, so she had no right to be jumping in and claiming something was racist in the first place.
>>
>>9563014
"Retaliating" against a customer when you're a business entity makes you shit at customer service. That's all there's to it. Either you grow up and learn to explain yourself like an adult or continue to piss yourself yelling online about how not racist you are and establish yourself as a bad business.
>>
>>9563014
I agree with you anon but cgl is filled with sjw types so they'll probably attack you too.
>>
>>9563015
>"Retaliating" against a customer when you're a business entity makes you shit at customer service.
There is absolutely no way that you actually do artist alley and believe that.
>>
>>9563016
>cgl is filled with sjw types

what alternative universe cgl do you go to and how do i get there
>>
>>9563020
I do and I make enough to do this for a living full time and my online store regularly nets me several k per month so continue being shit at customer service while I get all the customers people like you turn away.
>>
>>9563026
guess you've just been lucky enough to have never dealt with an awful customer or awful accusations.
>>
>>9563035
I have but I handle those situations like an adult because I know how it comes off when I lose my temper at them publicly. I'm not telling you to bend over backward when the customer is wrong but you can still stand your ground politely while explaining your stance. If you're gonna vent, vent in a private place instead of doing it on your business account.
>>
>>9562802
"Mashumaro" is not a fucking Japanese word. It's how an English word would be written in Katakana and then Romanized again. There's literally no reason to call your character made by English-speaking people for English-speaking people an English word written as its borrowed Japanese equivalent. Fuck these people.
>>
>>9563025
Scroll the fuck up, homegirl. There are a lot in ita threads, too. The other day, I actually saw someone defend a fatty-chan lolita.on /cgl/ of all places.
>>
>>9563014
But that's the thing? The original comment didn't accuse them of being racist. They said "hey this might be problematic to some people and could be racist", they didn't say "you're a fucking racist". It wasn't an attack by an enraged SJW like you (and apparently their social media guy) seems to think and at no point was the OP's tone accusatory or rude. If you don't see the difference in those two statements then there's really no discussion to be had here lol.
>>
>>9562802
>>9563057

This is why western weebs need to stop trying to be a fucking kawaii japanese studio and acting like they are a guru on glorious Nippon language.
>>
>>9563057
>>9563077
Agreed. Western companies catering to a western audience calling themselves a brvy of Japanese words for the #aesthetic is super cringy.
>>
>>9563014
You realize that TPS is also run by a white bitch too?She reposted the same argument on another post, and bilingual Japanese natives said >It's not offensive, it just sounds off
>>
>>9563059
the fact that this board supports threads just to make fun of people kinda proves it's not "filled with sjw types". you idiots literally have threads every week saying black facing for cosplay is okay. if this cesspool is too sjw for you i can't imagine how the fuck you get through day to day life, damn.
>>
is etsy the go to website for buying prints?

sorry if this is the wrong thread
>>
>>9563053
I didn't see it as childish and I'm glad they didn't act "professional". People like that deserve to get talked down to.

>>9563089
I've bought a few prints on Etsy, so, sure.
>>
>>9563093
It really doesn't matter if you personally don't think they were being childish. The majority of anons who responded in this thread felt it to be an overreaction. A couple anons mentioned losig respect for them/not buying from them in the future. Alienating your customers like that IS bad customer service. It's about how your tone will be received by the public at large.
>>
>>9563088
If you find it so abhorrent, how come you're still here?
>>
>>9562802
Yeah, they lost my respect. If I had employee(s) outright call people stupid on my store's social media page and actually go to the FB profiles of those who disagreed to continue arguing, I'd fire them.
>>
>>9562802
didn't this company have drama with the seabunny plush or am I thinking of another one?
>>
>>9563089
i saw redbubble recommended in the last thread

>>9563223
is your safe space infiltrated by sjws? im sure they'll leave eventually
>>
>>9563106
>>9563224
never actually stood up for yourself in life. How sad.
>>
>>9563093
>I didn't see it as childish and I'm glad they didn't act "professional"
This proves a point. They are not professional. And they were very thinned skinned to knee-jerk at a suggestion at all with that reply back and retaliate using the race card at the commentator even suggesting a name change just to shut them up, clearly this identified who was the brains behind the product name and reacted to it like a personal attack.

To be honest, this sorta nonsense of attacking whoever disagrees or criticizes ones business is common at mom and pop shops. The owner/employees(another family member lol?) should have just thanked the commentator for their interest in the product and forget it about it since that is where it should have ended.
>>
>>9563553
>attacking whoever disagrees or criticizes ones

****accusation of racism is not a disagreement or criticism****

The fact that you take being called racist so lightly IS LITERALLY THE POINT that tasty peach was making. "racist" is NOT something that should just be treated as some casual insult or whatever.
>>
>>9563575
Ryan, no one was calling you racist. We know you're a white weeaboo who employs one Asian guy.
Customers, including actual Japanese people who don't have to look up Japanese words on Google, were just trying to help you out
Maybe spend less time camwhoring on Twitch and more time learning about good customer service
>>
>>9563596
not ryan

The whole thing started because someone called tasty peach studio racist.
>>
>>9563575
Why do you keep pretending "this could be seen as racist" YOU'RE PERSONALLY LITERALLY CALLING ME A RACIST (WHICH IS WORSE THAN ACTUALLY BEING A RACIST OMG DON'T YOU DARE!!)

If TPS is made of of sensitive children like this i'm more than happy to spread the word not to buy from them lol.
>>
>>9563637
There is literally no difference between saying someone "could be" something and actually saying they are. They both have the exact same result.
>>
>>9563642
This is the dumbest victim play i've ever seen. Someone saying hey something you did could be seen as bad means you can either address and explain why it's not bad or you can think hey maybe it is bad, neither result assumes your intentions. Saying you are Bad(Tm) means they already judged you and your intentions. According to your logic no one can EVER criticize someone's actions because it MUST mean the person intended to do those things.

That's like saying if i point out a possible mistake in your art i'm instantly saying a. you intended for that mistake b. you're a shit artist because you intended to do it when in reality it could be c. it was unintentional or d. it's a part of your style that i legitimately didn't understand.

But hey whatever, now i know your company sucks ass.
>>
>>9563651
>That's like saying if i point out a possible mistake in your art i'm instantly saying a. you intended for that mistake b. you're a shit artist because you intended to do it when in reality it could be
No, it is like saying "you MIGHT BE the worst artist that ever existed" or saying "you ARE the worst artist that ever existed".

There is no difference.
>>
>>9563474
? Where did I say anything about sjws or safe spaces? I'm genuinely curious as to why you'd stay around a place that you sound like you dislike.
>>
>>9563773
i'm not the same anon as the first couple responses, i just thought it was funny your response to 'actually, this place isn't all that accepting, just sayin' is to demand they leave.
>>
>>9563698
This is the problem with you knee-jerk victim complex white people lol. Someone saying something you did might be seen as contributing to racism is some now the exact same thing as being called a kkk hood wearing cross burning racist lmao. (which in turn is actually more offensive to you than someone being an actual racist) fuck off and enjoy your shitty kawaii-wannabe weeb shit
>>
>>9563224
>>9563106

Overall regardless of what you think about the dumb ass name, the fact is pretty much had they been polite about it they wouldn't have lost many, if any customers, and now not only did they lose the "extreme sjws" that they would have lost anyway, they lost even middle ground people who didn't care about the name. The amount of "fuck sjws" types they gained doesn't outnumber them and in my experience those types are poor and stingy as well. Just a terrible business move.
>>
>>9563794
Where did I demand that they leave? "How come you're still here" is nothing like "why don't you just leave" and I specifically chose language that is designed to be open-ended rather than closed.

In this case a cigar is really just a cigar, anon. There's nothing between the lines, I'm not telling them to do anything. I really am just curious about why they would choose to remain in a place they've designated as a cesspool filled with idiots. And those are their words, not mine.
>>
>>9563849
you might be a racist, anon.
>>
New thread: >>9563879
>>
>>9559875
>tfw I know exactly who did it
>>
>>9563872
Ahh and here we see the mind blowing hypocrisy where you can fling "racist" around but no one else dare suggest you might be lol, it's cool. We know your sad game, tps.
>>
>>9562469
Love Live doesn't sell anymore but Aquors was doing pretty well from what I saw. Could be a one time thing though.
Thread posts: 401
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.