[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lolita just clothes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: 4123.jpg (141KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
4123.jpg
141KB, 500x381px
Is lolita just clothing to you?
If it is, (why) do you call yourself a lolita?
What makes lolita clothing more special to you than just a pair of rare/expensive jeans?
Have you ever read up on the subculture, history or influences of lolita or did you never care?
>>
lolita is just, like, clothes, man.
>>
File: 00.png (45KB, 361x93px) Image search: [Google]
00.png
45KB, 361x93px
>>9533665
>t. uncultured swine
>>
>>9533655
I think lolita is a fashion with subculture elements that heavily revolves around clothing.

I think barely any lolita really only buys and wears clothes and that's just it. Most girls also try to incorporate the kawaii frilly aesthetic into other parts of their life, they like to read posts about lolita, seek out tutorials, communicate with others online and many even meet other lolitas (essentially strangers that just dress the same).
I think deep down there is more to it, portraying the cute self you always wanted to be and such.
>>
>>9533702
This is how I feel about it. There will always be people who just like how it looks and wear it casual or once in a blue moon but honestly? That's fine.
There are people who wear goth stuff who don't know the first thing about goth subculture, and there are people who are super hardcore into the lifestyle. It's much the same with every subculture.
>>
>>9533716
There are people who just like the goth aesthetic and wear the clothes, but I don't see them as goths and I don't think they consider themselves gothic either, just their style. But with lolita I see a lot of people say if you own at least 1 coord you are a lolita.
>>
>>9533702
seconding this.
>>
>>9533655
To me it's just clothes. The whole "eating tea and being sweet" lifestyle thing is retarded to me. It's a fashion, that's it
>>
>>9533999
>eating tea
>>
>>9533999
Who said anything about lifestyle? There's already a thread for people who aren't into the lifestyle and it's a full of ignorance about lolita lifestyle and disgusting people.
>>
I am a Lolita because I wear lolita clothing. I participate in some degree in the lolita online community. That makes me a lolita. I also like other cute fashions, historical fashion, sweets and tea. I liked these things before Lolita.
>>
>>9534026
Holy crap I'm not into the Lolita lifestyle, but that thread is like an ode to white trash.
>>
My lolita clothes are just clothes, but the act of wearing lolita is something special to me. I feel so much more confident and pretty when I wear lolita and it kind of feels like an act of defiance. It's like I'm saying "Up your's and your expectations of me" but doing so with a smile, and I like that feeling. I also got into lolita just as I was coming out of depression so I feel like it's brought a lot of good things into my life such as new friends and experiences I'd have never had before.
Prior to lolita I was still very feminine, enjoyed fitting into old gender roles and I was into historical costume so I haven't changed myself much to fit a "lolita lifestyle" because I was already somewhat living that lifestyle. My lifestyle aesthetic is however more kawaii than it used to be but I put that down to allowing myself to enjoy those things than changing myself. I don't change inside when I wear lolita because I feel like I'm me and all that's changing is how other people perceive me.
>>
>>9534164
all of this.
I still feel confident even out of lolita obviously (like,in my work uniform) but wearing lolita makes me feel extra pretty and extra confident. Which is weird given i'm usually more of a shy girl who doesn't like attracting attention. Yet even if everyone stares at me, wearing that makes me so happy that I don't even care.
>>
I thought cgl was full of it's just clothes types
>>
>>9536118
Have you never seen the lifestyle threads?
>>
>>9536135
They aren't frequent and often die without going into autosage, also seeing lolita as more than just clothes is not the same thing as being a lifestyle lolita.
>>
>>9534061
They're all so proud of it, too.
>>
>>9537216
Look up the old livejournal posts about it and look up princess portal. Also it doesn't really exist in Japan. People have different definitions of it because of ignorance imo and some people confuse it with just being a lolita.
>>
i thought we only said "its just clothes" in reply to middle aged women confusedly asking us what cosplay were doing?
>no miss, its not a costume, just my clothes
>>
>>9533655
Lolita clothing itself is just that to me--lolita clothing. But it's the act of wearing it and proudly presenting myself in the clothes I love that matters, I think. Lolita pieces are only more special to me than my other clothes because they speak to my heart more. Like, I have high-end purses that are both stylish and suit my daily needs, but they don't make me as happy as my silly heart shaped bags. By wearing lolita I'm saying "I'm frivolous and I wear frivolous things and that's okay!" I think that it goes beyond the clothing at that point because it touches my heart.
>>
>>9537317
mte
>>
>>9537220
>it doesn't really exist in Japan
>who is Momoko
>who is Novala
>>
>>9537317

We also say it to lolita-at-heart wannabes.

Say what you want about princess portal, that site is indirectly responsible for why most lolitas distance themselves as much as possible from any hint of subculture or lolita lifestyler. No one wants to hold some poorfag underage weeb's hands while they turn the entire fashion into some kind of LARPing escapist bullshit, everyone stomped that out as fast as possible. If you've ever wondered why lolita has no subculture or lifestyle component, it's because of this.
>>
>>9537377
He never says anything about lifestyle lolita, it's just lolita to him as he treats it as a subculture. Things like changing your mannerism is just Japanese culture so it's not something special lolita lifestyle snowflake to them.
>>
I think once you start going to community events it ceases to be just clothes, even if you don't incorporate any of the lolita aesthetic into the rest of your life you're meeting strangers and hanging out based on a shared clothing interest.

>Is lolita just clothing to you?
Yes and no. The fundamental aspect of lolita is the clothing; without it, you aren't a lolita. None of this lolita at heart crap. That being said, I've made friends and hung out with complete strangers based on shared clothing interests. It's also influenced my hobbies, travel, and how I present myself to the world in general so it is clearly influencing me beyond just being clothes. I think that answers the next two questions as well
>Have you ever read up on the subculture, history or influences of lolita or did you never care?
I mean, it's not that old a fashion. I didn't go specifically out to look for a history of lolita and there aren't that many verified academic sources that write about it since it's such a niche topic. I care a little about people being plain wrong about it though e.g. associations with lolicon
>>
>>9537377
Momoko is a fictional character you walnut, she's not a valid example.
>>
>>9537416
It's not that old but it is old for a Harajuku fashion and it has many influences you can connect to a date, eg VW mini crini collection.
>>
>>9533665
They missed the joke/reference. I didnt and love it!
>>
I've become more of a hobby collector in recent years but I think it's because I'm approaching 30 and I have less opportunities to where it like when I was in college. My wardrobe has a very specific aesthetic so there's not a huge rainbow of color and variety like you would see in a lifestylers wardrobe.
>>
>>9539210
*wear
>>
>>9533729
>But with lolita I see a lot of people say if you own at least 1 coord you are a lolita.
I think thats more so that there are always a bunch of weeb noobs that call themselves lolita, but dont own any dresses or clothing, not even a petticoat yet. You need to own at least one lolita coordinate to call yourself a lolita.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.