[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Offbrand"/thrifted thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 16

File: these dresses....jpg (41KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
these dresses....jpg
41KB, 564x564px
I'm going shopping in about a week or two, and was curious as to which "J-fashionable" (?) clothes you gulls found in normie shops/thriftshops. I'm afraid I don't have anything to contribute. I don't mind which style it is, although I'm very fond of Lolita, larme kei and mori kei, yet I'm simply curious as to what has been found and how those items of clothing have been incorporated into J-fash coords. No cosplay please.

What do you look for when shopping irl? Do you alter your finds? How did you incorporate them into your coords? Share your finds!
>>
I found a nice skirt that was so full that I've used it in coords.
When looking through normie clothes, I often look for blouses and skirts.
>>
>>9530686
Do you perhaps have a photograph of said skirt?
>>
>>9530679
I've found sweaters that I've been able to use or modify for lolita. My favorite is a green sort of v-neck sweater that sits perfectly to show the collar of a blouse under a jsk or with a skirt. Its deep emerald color that works well with a VM skirt I have.

I've also found a couple button up cardigans that I've hemmed so they stop at my waist in white and mint.
>>
>>9530691
I don't, sorry. It's a little past knee length and very 50's-y
>>
Oh lawd I'd bet half my closet is thrifted. I do modify some. But as a nanchatte it's so easy to find good stuff. ive found some great blazers and skirts and even saw a putomayo top at my local store once. It makes me wonder how it got there (Columbus OH university area, so I'd think I'd know/have seen everyone who is into jfash on campus...). Also found an Attack on Titan leather butt strap thing from Fantasy Sheep in the skirt section of another store lel
>>
Please post pics when you have them!!

>>9530712
That's wonderful to hear! I had no idea what nanchatte kei (?) was, but I looked it up, and it's so up my alley! It's pretty much "schooluniform style", no?
>>
>>9530679
>mori girl
really easy to thrift, there are always a ton of baggy, chunky cream knits in thrift shops where I live, and things like brown leather boots aren't too hard to find.

>larme
harder to thrift unless you live in an area with a lot of students/young people, since it's 90% recent trends and thrift stores tend to end up with older stuff and not trendy items. You could perhaps try a consignment store but desu you might as well just go shopping at H&M or look on Depop or something.

>lolita
I found a lot of nice vintage brooches and pearl jewellery, plus a couple of necklaces and cameos. I've seen a lot of loliable shoes in thrift stores and sometimes loliable bags. I also buy cashmere turtlenecks that I sometimes wear with my coords, but I don't usually post them online as they're a little plain (I could mod the edges to add lace like brand turtlenecks but I could never be bothered). People say you can thrift vintage blouses for lolita but desu I rarely see vintage blouses in thrift stores near me (I literally worked in one for years so it's not for lack of searching) and the ones I see usually either aren't loliable or aren't my size (US 4). I also found a pair of really amazing soft, thick velvet curtains for a few dollars once - I wanted to buy them to sew with but I left them a few hours because I didn't want to carry them round all day and when I came back they were gone.

>other jfash
I like hunting out peignoirs and vintage communion dresses for cult party kei, but they're nearly always pricey anyway. I've never seen nanchatte seifuku stuff in stores apart from cardigans, but I have seen a lot of cheap vintage stores with rails of pleated tartan skirts from old school uniforms that would be great for it.

>sauce: I worked in thrift stores for several years and used to visit several daily on my way back from work, when I say I've never found a loliable blouse in a thrift store I mean it
>>
Vintage gloves are great for lolita if your hands are small enough to fit in them.
>>
>>9531225
I agree. Larme is so recent/normie that there's no reason to be thrifting it.
>>
i wear spank! and fairy kei. my fave thing ive ever thrifted is this soft, long sleeved shirt thats blue pink and yellow (in a plaid-ish style?) with bits of white and a white collar with cute bear faces sewn onto it. near the bottom. it's from an asian pajama brand or something and it's super comfy and cute. i die. second in line are my purple reeboks. sorry for stupid wording i'm falling asleep
>>
I found Lolita Lola RHS and an ancient Cornet JSK in a thrift shop once in college. They were in the costume section, and the dress was smashed in between squaredancing dresses. The shoe uppers were beat to shit and the JSK's lace had dry-rot in a couple of spots, so I didn't end up buying either. I was surprised, though. The girl I was shopping with was the only other lolita in the area so far as we both knew, and we never found out who sold them to that store.
>>
I recently found Airy Star Gate and Whip Collection skirts in a thrift shop. I can't believe there's a lolita in my city who's selling to thrift stores
>>
>>9531231
I always have trouble with finding gloves because my hands are really tiny. Are vintage gloves that much smaller usually?
>>
>>9531368
Maybe she couldn't sell them and just wanted them out? DESU I might do the same if I can't find any buyers. Shit takes up space
>>
>>9531296
I haven't really found Larme stuff at the goodwill type of thrift store, but I've had luck at consignment stores that are a level above that since they tend to be more cognizant of recent trends. You also might have some luck if you go for the vintage/pin up look that sometimes appears in the magazine.

You'll also have some luck if you're good with a needle and can do some modification.
>>
File: image.jpg (713KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
713KB, 2048x2048px
I live in a part of my city that's pretty hippie-crunchy, so whenever I go thrifting I find a lot of stuff that's really excellent for mori! Lucky for me, as my every day style is basically just toned down mori. Some favorite finds of mine are: a long cream and white gingham skirt with a ruffled cotton slip, a pale green crochet lace cardigan, the most perfect cream sweater ever (so many textures!), and a pair of light brown suede Bass brand shoes--basically unworn. I saw the exact same pair in a shoe store down the road for $70. I got them for $8 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the same area I've found a lot of lolita appropriate (and sometimes actual lolita) items too! In recent months I've seen a Bodyline coat, a pair of pink Antaina heels (too beat up to be saved), and a couple of loliable blouses at my local Goodwill. The identity of the mysterious donor loli remains unknown.

Lastly, my actual shopping tip: recently I've seen TJ Maxx carrying these Betsey Johnson purses, perfect for lolita and other j-fash! Super cute and very affordable, as far as brand name bags go. I would have gotten one if I weren't such a cheap bastard.
>>
File: image.jpg (772KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
772KB, 1536x2048px
>>9532124
Oh, another thing! My favorite thrift store also does themed auction windows every couple of weeks--the two that they currently have are historical fashion inspired and weeaboo-catgirl-Sailor Moon. I forgot to take a picture of the latter, but here's the main piece of the former! Definitely a costume, but pretty nifty.
>>
File: image.jpg (189KB, 640x854px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
189KB, 640x854px
>>9532143
Here's one of their past auction windows, more of a general kawaii theme. I wanted to bid on this dress so bad, but it was too small for me :(
>>
>>9530679
I look for fairy kei stuff in thrift stores
>>
>>9532143
Wtf kind of awesome thrift store do you live by? Damn
>>
>>9532145
That's a Bonnie chance dress, I'm sure you could find it on ebay or something.
>>
>>9532164
probably California
>>
>>9530679
I've found a lot of larme appropriate stuff at forever 21 and h&m, although those stores have really bad quality construction. Still, great pencil skirts and ruffle tops for cheap!
>>
>>9531410
Yes, all the pairs I've found have been very small.
>>
File: image.jpg (145KB, 640x854px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
145KB, 640x854px
>>9532164
>>9532169
Nope, outskirts of Boston! I love this place--not only are there a lot of great finds, but all the proceeds go to a great local charity :)

>>9532166
Hey, thanks for the tip! I'll keep my eyes out!

>pic semi-related: a piece from the current Sailor Moon themed auction window from this amazing place
>>
File: IMG_3643.jpg (182KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3643.jpg
182KB, 640x640px
Dress was under $10
>>
File: IMG_3648.jpg (677KB, 1504x1998px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3648.jpg
677KB, 1504x1998px
Debenhams blouse
>>
>>9531410
I have a small collection of vintage gloves that my aunts found at garage sales, with the intention of giving them to me for dress-up play. I haven't been able to wear any of them since I was probably about ten, so they're actually still in really good shape and didn't get played with much. lol

I wear a size 7 glove (measure around your palm; google for a diagram to show you how), and I reckon most of the vintage gloves I have are a size 6 or so. One pair is even smaller, and made of incredibly delicate embroidered organza, so was probably meant for a girl's first communion or as a flower girl. That pair has been wrapped in tissue in a wooden box since I received it, because I'm terrified of them getting ruined.
>>
How common are thrift stores in burgerland? Whenever I browse through j-fashion threads, I see quite a few gulls that are finding good stuff there, sometimes even legit brand pieces. I have never really noticed their existence here in mid yurop and didn't consider looking up the few of them we seem to have until now.
>>
>>9532341
Don't know how middle your europe is, but in middle/eastern europe you get thriftshops everywhere. In smaller town I live in there are at least 3. They also sell clothes for weight, so they are great for buying things like peignors.
>>
>>9530726
It's called nanchatte seifuku
>>
>>9531410
Generally most vintage gloves are a size 5-6 (in glove sizing)
I am a 6 in gloves and can fit most vintage gloves but they are definitely fitted on me, I have found many vintage pairs too small for me but only ever one too large.
>>
Found a18th century parasol but,I am terrified to use it lol
Two coats that are elaborate and lovely
One navy with lace and the other wine that definitely has room from for a petticoat .
The rest of the stuff I find may be better for Otome. ( gorgeous bags and shoes)
I do find a lot of decor though that looks nice for a classic /Victorian bedroom lol
I found one top that may look alright , it has a lot of pretty cotton lace and off white but, I never wear it with Lolita.
Stores
Closet child ( bunch of cute indie shops around there too)
Housing works
Angel street
There is one that I never remember the name of (not much help) but you walk down a hall covered in mirrors and when you reach the end you are brought back outside and you see an adorable cottage/ thrift place . It is actually right near housing works
Pippin is nice for jewelry ...I found a pear of vintage leather gloves too
>>
>>9531225
>never once found a loliable blouse while thrifting
thrift stores are the source for 90% of the lolita blouses I own, but I'm into classic. maybe it's the region that you live in? i'm in the south and every time i hit up the church thrift stores, i always find at least one little old lady's secondhand secretary blouse floating around.
>>
Has anyone found brand at a thrift store before?
>>
>>9532519
Yes, people have mentioned this happening. A girl in one of these threads found a Victorian Maiden skirt at a thrift store.
>>
>>9532519
Aside from the random Bodyline and Antaina shoes I mentioned, I once found a BTSSB cutsew in a consignment store.
>>
>>9530679
I mostly go to secondhand shops because I don't want to support fast fashion. I sometimes alter it, sometimes to the point I take the entire thing apart to make something new with the fabric.
>>
I got the sheer black bolero/cardigan thing I'm wearing at the thrift store! I've found a couple nice shirts in the past as well.
>>
>>9531437
I'm honestly considering it for some shoes and things right now, work are offering me a ton of overtime right now and passing up on it so I can be around during the day to take nice photos, make sales listings and go to the post office basically loses me money if I'm getting less than $20 per sale. I have a ton of cheap things I want out of my house but it's just not worth my time to make the listings.
>>
>>9532323
Not lolita at all
>>
>>9532638
That bolero looks awful and ruins an otherwise fine coord
>>
Besides to following recent normie trends, Larme has lots of vintage inspired stuff (mainly 60's and 70's, currently also 90's) so if you have luck in charity shops, you might find old stuff that fit Larme.
>>
>>9533438
How is that not Lolita?
>>
>>9532323
This is cute and I think it would look good coorded with red shoes/accessories too
>>
>>9533918
Ignore that anon they're obviously out of it.
>>
>>9532262
I wish my thrift stores were half as cool as this. Best I've found is three yukata in my Salvation Army shop.
>>
>>9533439
Nayrt but it looks fine. Keep your salt to yourself.
>>9532638
If you don't mind me asking does the bolero have a tag? Also sauce on the dress please.
>>9531231
I used to have tons of vintage gloves when I was little, my mom would buy them for me all the time. Then I grew up and none of them fit anymore. Oh well.
>>9533923
I found a yukata at the thrift store once. It was a bit stained, but they had it with all the sheets and bedding.
>>
>>9532341
There's a German vintage style YouTube I follow who is always finding really beautiful stuff at thrift stores. She doesn't do lolita/jfash but based on her finds there's some good stuff at the charity shops that could work in the fashion.

>>9532487
Back when I lived in the Midwestern US I could always rely on thrift and church charity stores for blouses. Not so much here in California but I find a lot of more trendy/au current stuff instead.

>>9532519
I found a few Liz Lisa pieces at a shop in Southern California. They were in good condition but a few years old.
>>
>>9530679
Any tips from burgerland gulls? I travel south central US a lot and my main targets are Goodwill for looting normie fabrics and vintage shops. Most vintage goodies are Mod, Western, or 80s hip hop though, and the only frilly bits are nightgowns. Any suggestions for other good vintage/thrift stores? What are your favorite places?

My best luck is at huge flea markets. I find great hats and occasionally nice jewelry. Best find was a small artisan shop that sold handmade unique cameos
>>
>>9533924
Mine were in the pajama section. Two were plain mens ones and one was absolutely gorgeous. Pic related is the closest I can find to the original pattern before I sold it.

I know there's a little antique shop down the street in town that has a lot of vintage dresses in their windows. Everything from 20s to 50s style. I've yet to go in but I think I will now just to see.
>>
>>9532519
Wasn't there a story years and years ago where someone's mom donated their lolita clothes to the thrift store? Was it just an urban legend?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (360KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
360KB, 1200x1600px
>>9530679
Not quite a normie charity shop, but I got this Axes Femme maxi dress on eBay for peanuts. It's so pretty, I can't wait!
>>
>>9531296
Completely disagree with this, might be because we have charity shops, not thrift shops in the UK though. Also a lot of vintage stuff fits in well with larme.

People donate the items, and I live in a student filled city so it's not uncommon for the richer students to donate all of their clothes instead of transporting them home at the end of term. Some really disgustingly rich people donate their clothes instead of washing them and just buy new ones. We have an unusually high number of Chinese students as well, so there's a lot of weird ali/taobao-esque shit in really tiny sizes.

The stuff in them tends to be pretty recent to be honest, although I personally have better specificity with ebay.
>>
>>9533938
The only thing I could advise is make sure to visit a variety of thrift stores, make sure you hit local ones bc goodwill for example has some weird corporate practices and likes taking anything they think is worth anything and putting it in a horrid ~boutique~.
Also there are by the pound goodwill stores that people seem to like, I haven't been though.
>>
>>9534381
I get sub $10 axes femme on ebay fairly often!
>>
>>9534381
I bought an awesome offbrand blouse on eBay from a Japanese secondhand shop, they had it listed as gyaru but it's definitely more suited for ouji or lolita.
>>
>>9532519
I live in bumblefuck upstate newyork and managed to find two bodyline skirts at a Goodwill once.
>>
File: DSC_0124.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0124.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Thrifting is shit in my area but if you're ever in Japan, definitely go to a Book Off Super Bazaar if you can. It's just a bigger version of Book Off, but they have a huge level just for second hand clothes and it's ridiculously cheap. There's a section for brand items but there's plenty of cute stuff in the regular section.

Pic related, most of that was 200-1000 yen.The only reason I didn't buy 3x as much was concerns for my luggage.
>>
File: DSCN0139.jpg (260KB, 1205x1600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0139.jpg
260KB, 1205x1600px
>>9535024
Japan is lit. I just moved back and the quality of stuff in the likes of Mode Off, Don Don Down on Wednesday and Harmans was unreal.
>tfw I got this Liz Lisa coat in perfect condition for under ¥2000
>>
>>9533922
Lol, a normie skater dress is not lolita just because it has a full skirt.
>>
>>9533924
The saggy bolero looks like shit, are you blind?
>>
>>9534381
>>9534504
Axes femme stuff on Mercari is dirt cheap, 10/10 would recommend

>>9535082
>nitpicking this hard
Did anon shit in your tea or something?
>>
>>9535127
Are there any shopping services that even do Mercari anymore?
>>
>>9535179
Japonica
>>
>>9535080
If it has the Lolita shape it is
>>
>>9533924
NAYRT but the dress is Innocent World's 'Rose Bouquet Stripe'. i thought it was cute, too.
>>
Also going to mention that antique stores are a great place to find accessories like jewelry, hats, bags, as well as teacups and the like. Most of my hats for gothic and classic I've found at a local antique store from the booth of a woman who is really into vintage hats.
>>
>>9535742
Do you have pictures of your hats? There's a really cute string of vintage shops near my city, but I'm never very inspired by the hats I find there. Not sure if I just lack imagination or if my selection is limited.
>>
>>9532519
once i found a really old AP dress, a meta skirt, and a baby cardigan in a consignment store. shame none of them were really my style.
>>
>>9533938
if you go to by the pound goodwill stores (aka "the bins") like >>9534474 mentioned, take gloves with you. like dishwashing gloves or disposable nitrile gloves, because they just throw everything into big bins and i don't think they wash it first. i don't think you'll find anything good there in the first place though, because it's mostly just the clothes they can't really sell on their own.
>>
>>9535035
Which area of Tokyo has thrift stores with the best selection of jfash like this? Shibuya?
>>
>>9535179
i use treasure japan. there was also celga but they're a bit overpriced
>>
>>9536040
Nayrt but you'll find jfash at any thrift store in Japan? Since it's just...fashion. If you meant locations, ones I can think of at the top of my head are Mode Off in Ueno and Shimokitazawa and Tanpopo House in Takadanobaba.
>>
>>9532341
There are quite a few where I live. They are run by local charities, churches, and community centers. We also have shops dedicated specifically to sports equipment and home goods. I've never seen any brand at one, but there are quite a few items that are workable for non-Lolita fashions.
>>
>>9535035
>>9536040
>>9536133
I got this specific coat at a Mode Off in Kawaguchi, but it's just as anon said you'll find jfash in every thrift store.
I moved around a lot and there was a Liz Lisa section in my local Harman's store in Tochigi, so you'll have no trouble.
I really liked Kinji in Harajuku, and any Don Don Down On Wednesday you find is great because they reduce the price of items every Wednesday.
>>
>>9535200
>being this dumb
>>
File: some things.jpg (291KB, 800x461px) Image search: [Google]
some things.jpg
291KB, 800x461px
You can get some pretty solid larme basics from normie thift stores like pencil skirts, pleather skirts and jackets, velvet and lace shit, satin camisoles and slips, heels and platform shoes if that doesn't bother you, etc. They're good for filling out a wardrobe and pairing with more expensive brand items.
Besides local places online thrift stores can work well too.
>>
File: i do not like summer.jpg (416KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
i do not like summer.jpg
416KB, 720x1280px
>>9530704
cool story bro
>>
File: thrift store find.jpg (34KB, 540x362px) Image search: [Google]
thrift store find.jpg
34KB, 540x362px
Years ago I found these two fanplusfriend bustle skirts, both in black at a family thrift center around Halloween just mixed up with all the other "costume" items along with some other items that looked like they were ripped out of some unsuspecting goth girl's closet. long story short, bought them both for under $12 as both fit my frame at the time like a glove after some minor alterations.
>>
>>9532262
hey anon, can you shoot me an email about this shop? I'm going to Boston next week and wanna visit here!
>>
>>9538338
sent you a message!
>>
>>9532323
>>9532326

You look great, anon. Good taste.

I have good luck with non-loli items (theory stuff for work etc) at thrift stores, but almost never something really fun.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (13KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
13KB, 384x384px
>>9535080
>Lol, a normie skater dress

This anon does not know what a skater dress is. They are less full, on the shorter side, and made of light fabrics.

That is NOT a skater skirt by any stretch of the imagination.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.