[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sewing Machine Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

I may be in the market for a new sewing machine soon and was hoping to get some feedback on favorite/least favorite machines, brands, features, etc from fellow cosplayers and lolitas.
>Favorite brand?
>What machine do you own?
>Features you can't live without?
>How often do you use your machine?
>How often do you service it?
>Any machines you avoid like the plague?
>>
I grew up with Pfaffs and they were super reliable. My mom's ancient serger is still going.

I recently bought a Viking Husqvarna Emerald 118 and I'm really happy with it. I really wanted a non-computerized machine for reliability and I really wanted a machine with all metal gears/internals. Don't buy a cheapo Brother or Singer, they use primarily plastic gears and they will wear down over time and are just generally low quality.

Other good brands are Janome, Elna, Juki.

Will you be working with a lot of fur or leather/pleather? Those are hard on machines and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble getting a machine with a bit more oomph.

Features I couldn't live without? Clear bobbin cover. The threading lever thing. Needle up/down is nice. I work with a lot of knits for normie clothing, so a variety of stretch stitches is really nice. If you're into Lolita, it's worth checking if the model you like has a ruffler foot attachment available.
>>
>>9527143
I'm really thinking of investing in a sewing machine because I'd love to start making my own clothes (been wearing lolita/jfash for 4 years but can't always find items to my taste), but I'm wondering if an overlocker would be better/worth it, since I'd like to make comfy cutsew tops and pyjamas/roomwear and I know jersey knit is easier to sew on an overlocker. I want really professional results that will stand up to a lot of wear.

It'd be great to be able to sew leather/PVC for jfash too, and to have a ruffler foot.
>>
>>9527247
There's quite a few things you can't do with an overlocker/serger that you need a sewing machine for. Anytime you need to attach lace/trim, ribbon, applique, etc you'll need a sewing machine. Buttonholes-- sewing machine. Installing zippers-- sewing machine. Topstitch-- sewing machine. You get the idea.

If you can only buy one, get a sewing machine. I'm the anon above with the Viking, and I sew loads of knits on my sewing machine and don't have much trouble. Get a walking foot/dual feed/even feed foot for yours, it helps a load.
>>
>>9527143
I have a Singer Simple. It was my very first sewing machine. I think I got it for Christmas when I was in my junior year of high school (2006/2007) and it has never failed me. I'd definitely recommend it to beginners. It has all the basic stitches plus some decorative ones and a button hole stitch. Very easy to thread and it's very affordable.
I recently bought a Brother 1034D serger as well and it works like a dream, but it's an add-on to the sewing machine. I wouldn't really be able to do much with a serger alone. I sew a lot. I make all of my lolita clothes.
One day I'd like to own an embroidery machine. They seem so fun. I believe there is a way to embroider with a regular sewing machine, but a computerized embroidery machine would make things so much easier.
>>
I've had two singers, one brother, and a pfaff.
Pfaff is easily the best one I've had so far, though I do wish the buttonhole feature was more self explanatory. I would still take a singer over a brother any day.
>>
I just recently bought a singer stylist 7258 mostly because of good reviews and price.

did I do good?
>>
I use mostly juki and singer, although my singer has started to act on the fritz. It's still under warranty though so it should be fine.
Has anyone got the singer studio? It's basically singers version of an industrial. I've been lusting over it for months now, but I'm still unsure of how it stands up to a juki industrial. If it's as heavy duty as they claim plus has the ability to use regular singer needles, bobbins, and pressure feet i'm sold. Plus, it's pretty.
>>
>Favorite brand?
Don't really have one.

Old brother sewing machine from the 70s and the 3034D overlocker

Not really a feature - but I love my ruffler foot.

It varies. I'll go months not using it or only using it for repairs then go on a sewing binge and need to oil and change the needle and clean it every few days because all my free time is sewing.

Every 5 years so far...

Not specifically.

>>9527247
No, you won't be able to do everything you need to on an overlocker. I found the Janome 2200XT a reasonably priced entry level machine that did everything I wanted it to (basic sewing for cosplay and lolita as well as repairs and alterations) when I was overseas for a couple of years.
>>
>Favorite brand?
Juki. Secondary: Brother

Main machine is a Juki TL 2000Qi. I have a Brother 1034D for a serger and a Brother VX970 for when I need to do zigzag stitches and button holes.

Automatic Thread Cutter. This was a big must when I was shopping for a new machine.

Fairly often--At least once per week. I was a fashion student so I used it practically daily when classes were in session.

I clean my machines myself about once a month, more it they seem like they need it. I have them professionally serviced every few years.

A lot of home sewers automatically stop with the needle position as up, and this drives me nuts because it can make pivoting hard. If the needle isn't going to stop where I tell it to, I won't use it.
>>
>>9527143
Currently my favorite brand is VIKING. I like that I can walk into a joanns and dream about owning a 16000 dollar embroidery machine. I do like Bernina though because it is what I use at school. Both are good reliable brands.

I own the Viking Opal 650. It was a toss up between that and the emerald but I usually prefer a computerized machine. I also own a brother project runway machine that is dead and hopefully going to a doctor lol. I have my moms brother which is a base model I bought her to learn on and I have a brother serger.

I can't live without lots of stitch options! Though I usually don't use many. My main thing is that I like to know I have a reliable machine with options for when I do need them. Though I am getting spoiled with a start stop button on my machine! I don't even have to put my foot on the pedal! I also love that my machine finishes my stitches if I press the end button! I always forget to backstitch so this is a lifesaver!

Sometimes I use my machine all day every day. Other times I don't even look at it for months. I no joke did not use this machine for 2 months after I bought it. Though I was getting ready to have a baby and then recovering from giving birth.

I just got this machine like 4 months ago so no servicing it yet... though I used to use brother and I did all my own maintenance, except for the goner machine that committed suicide.

My husband makes me avoid Brother. With out tax return this year he was going to buy me a new machine. He knew I was always cursing out my Brother and my Brother 1034d serger. So when he told me my budget I was like Oh I can get a new Brother and a Brother embroidery machine! It didn't happen. He refused to get me brother. I refuse to use singer and he wanted to get me the viking I dream of, though I got the next step down, but I'm not paying $200 more just for automatic thread cutter and a couple more stitch options.
>>
>>9531252
Can I ask how much you paid for the Opal? I'm other Viking anon above and my dealer will let me trade up for full value if it's within 1 year of purchase, so I'm kind of thinking of socking some money away. Then again, it's not like my Emerald doesn't do anything that I want it to.
>>
>>9527143
>>Favorite brand?
singer, but I just turned to Brother, so that might become my new favourite brand

>>What machine do you own?
I currently work on a Brother FS-40, it's a computerized one (not so advanced that I can let it run fully automatic though)

>>Features you can't live without?
I like the features of just pressing a button to get the needle out of the fabric and I have a button for a backstitch. it also has a feature for sewing long lenghts automatic without you having to push the pedal.

>>How often do you use your machine?
almost every weekend

>>How often do you service it?
I haven't serviced my Brother yet because it's still fairly new, but with my Singers I serviced them whenever I felt like they needed it (they were cheaper ones (100) and made a lot of noise)

>>Any machines you avoid like the plague?
not really, but now that I have a computerized one, I wouldn't want to get back to a mechanical one.

simple mechanical machines are good for starters, but when you sew a lot like me, I really recommend a computerized/automatic one. I also sew both lolita and simple cosplays
>>
I'm curious, what are the main advantages/benefits to using a computerised machine? I'm hoping to upgrade from my basic plastic machine and was wondering if they have many features or differences a beginner-intermediate sewer would use.
>>
File: Innovis_35p_grande.jpg (19KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Innovis_35p_grande.jpg
19KB, 600x600px
>Favourite brand?
Biased towards Brother machines. One day I'd like to get an embroidery machine though,so I'm torn between getting a Janome/Brother one day.

I own a Brother INNOV-IS 35 P,it's a sweet ,cute little computerised number.
I also own a Husqavarna HUSKYLOCK S15 overlocker,initially I wanted to get the famous Brother 1043D overlocker but the table space for my current overlocker is much wider.

Automatic setting and the needle position button I guess because I'm extremely lazy to raise the needle with the wheel.

At least thrice a week for my sewing machine,I use my overlocker more often because I like knits haha.

I've not serviced any of my machines yet,but I do plan to service my sewing machine next year. My overlocker was bought recently but I do take care of it by removing the lint daily and oiling it monthly.

My first machine was a Singer Tradition and its a mechanical machine. It's reliable and I use it sometimes when I feel like it deserves some attention. But typically I avoid Singer products like the plague. I believe they have pretty solid older machines-but their newer machines have proven to be pretty problematic as evidenced from the number of complaints my local retailer receives from buyers complaining about their machines after a few months of use.
>>
>>9531325
It was $800 when I got it. The 670 is over $1000. MY budget was exactly $800 though so it worked perfectly! My plan is to trade mine up at tax season next year or to buy a low level embroidery machine from them and trade up every year.
>>
>>9531375
I feel like they come with more stitches. The computer allows for them to have more options.

I have the computerized viking and I have where I can embroider letters and have a lot of decorative stitch pattterns. It is great for quilting and tiny details. You also sometimes end up with different features to play with, like a needle up down button. Some machines also will help you set tension and stuff for the fabric you are sewing. My machine has buttons I click for the type of fabric so when I choose my stitch the length of stitch and stuff like that automatically adjust for fabric type.

A lot of the feature on a mechanical get better the more expensive the machine is though.
>>
>>9531821
Thanks anon! I paid $400 for my Emerald so maybe I can rustle up another $400 and upgrade to the Opal.
>>
Last year for my birthday my family bought me a Pfaff Creative 4.5. I swear by it, it's so smooth. Sews so beautifully.
>>
File: creative45.jpg (38KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
creative45.jpg
38KB, 600x600px
>>9533410
Aaaand dropped pic like a dumbass.
>>
This thread has been really helpful for thinking about my next machine, thanks anons.

I still don't know if I want to drop the money though...I've done some sewing in high school so I know I wouldn't be awful at it, and I've got a long list of jfash projects I'd like to try, but the cost is so high it doesn't seem worth it compared to just buying more stuff.
>>
>>9538310
If you're not sure, I would probably just try to find a decent used one for cheap. That way you can try it out and see if you like it enough to eventually drop more $ on a nice machine. You really don't need anything fancy unless you're doing a ton of projects all the time.
>>
I use a Singer from the early 80s and you'll pry it out of my cold, dead hands. Sure it's not fancy but that thing will never die and is made of solid metal.

Seriously though, if you've got the money for a new machine get a Juki. Some can be a little jarring at first as they lack a foot pedal but the industrial motor is amazing.
>>
>>9538402
I've got a Singer from the mid-80's and same. I've put this thing through so much shit, and it's a trooper. Too bad to hear that Singer's new machines aren't good.
>>
>>9538310
Get a basic entry level one, don't go for complete crap or you'll spend more time fixing than sewing. I suggest looking for second hand, and being able to try it first so you know it works before you hand over money.
>>
File: 717scudkciL._SL1500_.jpg (139KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
717scudkciL._SL1500_.jpg
139KB, 1500x1500px
It seems like every cosplayer has this machine, does anyone here have any experience with it? Is it a worthwhile machine or is it just a junk machine that will break down after a few years of use?
>>
>>9542511
Great for newbs. If you're making light cosplay it'll last for awhile.
>>
>>9542511
Worked well for me. I bought this for my mom and used it when my brother committed suicide. I've been using it for two years and I can fix it almost anytime it breaks down. It does want breaks sometimes though. It is a good basic machine.
>>
Is sewing with satin and chiffon really impossible for beginners? I've inherited a sewing machine and want to start making stuff but I'm on a larme kick ATM so everything I want to make (that I couldn't just find in shops for cheaper) is slippery or sheer.

I've heard it's difficult but I'm not sure how much of that is because people have to un-learn old habits, which isn't an issue for me since I haven't sewn in years (made a tote bag and a pillow in high school land since then zilch).
>>
>>9544397
Just make sure to use the right needle, Use stabilizer(Tissue paper works well), Lots of pins and maybe pinking sheers. It's not awful. Its hards so maybe buy a yard of each and practice a ton first.
>>
>>9544397
I started by jumping straight into chiffon ruffles, anon. It honestly isn't that hard, but unlike other fabrics you really can't 'cut corners' when it comes to prep, pinning, etc. just because the fabric is slippery/harder to handle.
>>
>>9527143
>>Favorite brand?
Bernina or bust
>>What machine do you own?
Bernina Simply Red, Bernina 1080
>>Features you can't live without?
Automatic buttons, because fuck buttons
>>How often do you use your machine?
Weekly
>>How often do you service it?
Yearly
>>Any machines you avoid like the plague?
Bernette, Brother (good overlocks, debatable sewing machines)
>>
>>9545674
>>9545692
Thanks anons! I'll get some tissue paper and pinking shears.
>>
>Favorite brand?
Bernina. Janome is good too! Used to have a Brother machine that I sewed into the ground and the repair was going to cost more than a new machine. Before that I had a Singer that also broke.
Bernina 330 and a Singer serger (forgot the exact model)
The feet! It has a really great invisible zipper foot and I have lots of other assorted feet attachments for it. Buttonhole and stretch stitches are also essential.
Once a week or less now but when I first got it I was using it close to full time.
Every 2 years. I don't use it as often now so I can go longer in between.
Used Pfaffs at a sewing studio I worked in for 4 years and I would not recommend them at all. Trying to see with them felt like you were fighting against them the whole time.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
I just bought this sewing machine (Ukicra Ufr813), any opinions on it? I'm just starting out
>>
Anyone have any options on embroidery machines?

My husband got me the se400 for my birthday.

It works like a normal machine too and I feel like I might end up using it more than my Viking. It is like the opal 670. I'm the previous opal 650 anon. I just don't know if I should be as excited about it as I am.
>>
>>9543612
>and used it when my brother committed suicide
Huh?
>>
>>9552794
My brother fell off a cart and crashed into the ground. Still not sure how it happened. It was stable and holding well. Then it was on the ground. It hasnt been usable since.
>>
>>9542511
I've had this machine for a few years now, 5 or so I think. It's good for the price, but I don't personally like computerized machines and I find myself cursing it out alot of the time because it tends to do some weird shit. It hasn't completely failed me yet though, but I am looking to replace it.

It has nice speed settings and is easy to work with, and was really good when I was a beginner. Just be aware that it can't really handle a whole lot at once (doesn't like fur/fleece, has a very tough time with thick layers, don't even try leather, etc.)
>>
>>9552858
I managed to read both of those posts thinking you meant your actual brother, not a Brother sewing machine.
>>
>>9553026
Wasn't until I read your post that I figured the other commenter was talking about a Brother machine.
>>
>>9555439
I thought the same
>>
My parents offered to buy me a new sewing machine for my birthday. Theyre probably willing to spend up to around $300. I really don't know where to start. I guess I'm looking for something good for a beginner to mid-level? What do you all think of the Brother CS6000i?
>>
>>9542511

I use it as my cart-around machine for when I go to crafting meets. My main machine is fifty pounds so I don't bring it with me everywhere I go.
>>
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good machine that can handle leather without it throwing the timing out of whack? I use an industrial Pfaff that still says "Made in West Germany" on the side when I'm at work, but it's so fucking finicky that you can't even go over a pin with it. I've seen people recommend a couple different Brother machines elsewhere.
>>
How do I know whether a sewing machine has metal gears? A surprising number of machines don't have it listed on their website.
>>
>>9559409
Se400 is about $350. Works as an embroidery machine and a sewing machine. It seems to be a nice brother.
>>
>>9560291
Sometimes there's more information listed on 3rd party sites (Amazon, JoAnns, etc). Otherwise you can always try calling the company? But I would imagine if the gears were metal, that would be something they'd be advertising.
>>
Any suggestions for a serger that's not the Brother 1034D? I had to get it repaired under warranty, and the guy who fixed it mentioned that it's so easy for their timing to go out of whack that they weren't worth repairing. Would love something with sturdier insides that can withstand the ruffle hell I like to to make.
>>
>>9560291
Shop reputable brands, and shop at a proper dealer. Viking only makes metal gear insides, which is why I bought from them.
>>
>>9562755

Yeah the 1034D is basically a chucker. Worth more as parts than as a full machine. It breaks, you buy a new one.

I just replaced mine with a Janome 8002D and it's a dream.
>>
>>9562975
No dealers where I live.

>>9563001
Good to know, I was considering it because I'd heard people say their overlockers were better than their sewing machines.
>>
>>9564361
Just in case you don't totally have this straight-- you NEED a sewing machine for some things. A serger can do a lot of stuff, and makes lots of stuff easy, but it can't do a lot of things a sewing machine can. See >>9527263.
>>
If someone is really interested in sewing for fashion; I would 100% tell them to at least get an electronic machine that is compatible with ab embrodiery arm or has it built into the unit. Even if it's just a little 4 by 4 hoop, it allows for so much flexibility in your choice of notions; and is entertaining to incorporate.
>>
File: sew.jpg (178KB, 1511x674px) Image search: [Google]
sew.jpg
178KB, 1511x674px
Is something like this worth it for basic stuff like cat ears?
>>
>>9566881
You'd be better off handsewing. That hunk of junk is probably going to be total shit
>>
>>9566881
No. These things are garbage. It especially won't be able to handle fake fur getting stuck in the machine. If you're looking to save money, get a used real machine. Or, like >>9566886 suggested, handsewing, if you're just doing cat ears. They're small so handsewing won't take that long.
>>
>>9566881
nope, it'll constantly have tension problems, drop stitches and all sorts of bad shit
theres a reason sewing machines cost a lot, best off saving up like 100 bux for a basic singer
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.