[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Contacts: For your Eyes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

Sup, guys. I'm getting ready to cosplay for an event at the end of the month, and I'm looking for good cosplay contact brands.
Recently I heard word that a lot of contacts for sale online are cheap china-mass-produced garbage and can cause sight damage, or dissolve after one day of use... Do you have any trusted brands you have used, or anything that you wouldn't recommend?
>>
File: shopping.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
>>9515136
I'm looking for yellow iris contacts, specifically, but feel free to post any cool contacts you've seen as well.
>>
So far have been pretty happy with iFairy brand circle lenses on Uniqso. Soft and comfortable on my eyes.

Also on the topic been meaning to look into disposal daily lenses. Any suggestions/reviews?
>>
Does anyone know of a place where I can order colored contacts that just aren't circle lenses? Most of the places I've seen are up your ass for percription or are crazy expensive.
>>
File: sd;jgg.png (11KB, 432x399px) Image search: [Google]
sd;jgg.png
11KB, 432x399px
My 2 favorite circle lens sites started asking for Rx verification. Wtf is up with that? I've ordered from them in the past with no issues. Honeycolor is having a buy 1 get 1 free sale on Super Pinky, and my rx is expired by a few weeks. By the time I get to the eye doctor to renew it the sale will have ended, I'm really upset about this
>>
I usually buy off Honey Colour and have never had an issue with any of the contacts I've bought. They have a search by color feature and a couple yellow contacts.
>>
Is there any way to keep your real irises to keep from showing underneath? I bought some red lenses and they look nice, but my bright blue eyes keep peeking out underneath the coloring and it looks a little weird.

I've also had some issues with itching and irritation after I take my lenses out. Nothing major, but I've been wearing lenses for 10 years, and nothing has irritated or tired my eyes out like the couple Vassen and Dolly lenses I have. Anyone dealt with this? is it just bad lenses and I need to replace them, or are they most likely just lower quality lenses/heavier/etc than what I wear daily?
>>
how do you gulls feel about not wearing contacts with cosplay? say, the costume is 100% and they look great, but their eyes are brown instead of blue.
>>
>>9519736
I like accuracy and it's a plus when the eyes are the right colour, but it's not a big deal. No one is going to notice at a con. For photoshoots, photoshop exists.
>>
File: crestfallen.gif (999KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
crestfallen.gif
999KB, 500x281px
I just went to the optometrist to get my contact prescription, and she told me to never ever buy contacts online because they aren't FDA approved and that she had one patient this year need a corneal transplant because their eyes got infected from cosmetic contacts bought online.

Have you guys had any issues with brand contacts (honey color, pinky paradise etc) bought online or was she just trying to Jew me?
>>
>>9519736
No issues at all. A lot of people can't wear contacts to begin with. Nice if you have them no loss if you don't imo
>>
>>9519943
I bought 3 pairs from honey color and uniqso and end up with red irritated eyes whenever I put them in
Dunno if they infect me or scratch or irritate but my eyes are bright red for days after I put them in
>>
I want to buy my first pair of circle lenses. I wear daily disposable contacts for sight, which have a base curve of 8.7. Should I get my circle lenses with 8.7 BC as well? Not many have 8.7. There's one pair that I like with 8.7, but my preferred pair is 8.9. Help is appreciated!
>>
>>9520047
From a quick google search
>BC values are a bit like clothes sizes - just because you are a BC 8.6 in one brand doesn't mean you will be the same in another brand.
so small variations like .2 shouldn't be a huge deal, considering they might not be measured the same or fit the same. The only way to tell is to get them if they match everything else and see if wearing them for a short amount of time (1-2 hours) causes discomfort or irritation
>>
>>9519969
Do store bought contacts irritate you as well?
>>
>>9519943
There are always horror stories from people buying from shady sites and/or wearing lenses that are not sanitary or damaged. I don't doubt that your optometrist saw a bad case, but if you read the package insert of contacts prescribed by your optometrist the risks are the same. Wearing ANY lens for an extended period of time increases the chance for serious infections. If you are vigilant about hygiene and don't try to wear uncomfortable lenses, you should be fine barring some freak accident.

Optometrists are right to be wary because so many of their patients are dumb af and don't listen to directions. People drop lenses in their nasty ass sinks and on floors and think tap water or even spit is an appropriate cleaner. People also try to cheap out and wear stuff past the expiration date. Also, optometrists have no contact with the manufacturers of circle lenses and therefore cannot promote their use. There isn't any literature readily available about risks of their use. If something bad were to happen, optometrists have no recourse against the manufacturers and could even be liable for leading you to believe that the contacts were 100% safe to use if they don't constantly tell you that buying lenses online is bad m'kay.

tl;dr Optometrists are wary for good reason, but as long as you order from a reputable site, are committed to good hygiene, and can dispose of lenses the second they become uncomfortable you should be ok. Just know that if anything bad happens, it will be your responsibility to take care of.
>>
File: let me get my angry eyebrows.gif (621KB, 440x247px) Image search: [Google]
let me get my angry eyebrows.gif
621KB, 440x247px
>>9519943
In my experience here in the US it does feel like most optometrists I've used have wanted to jew me on the colored contacts by hiding behind the "ALL CONTACTS BOUGHT ONLINE ARE DANGEROUS DON'T DO IT. Here's my catalog of overpriced monthly colored lenses that usually just end up looking fake and muddy over brown eyes."
I wish US customs weren't so uppity about contact lenses. I understand having the regulations to some extent but it still gets annoying. Especially since Pinky Paradise had a lot of theatrical lenses that are exclusively sold there (the white out lenses with the black limbal ring usually used for Hinata cosplays come to mind). They're my own eyes.
>>
>>9516109
For your eyes showing through the contact; that just sounds like the contacts aren't your pupils size, the contact could be smaller/bigger than your actual eye

To the itchyness, I would say the contact might be of lower quality, if they're the only contacts doing this, I would definitely toss them out there's a chance they could be messing up your eyes
>>
>>9520086
no, worn air optix lenses for the last ~9 years, never had an issue with my eyes except for one time when my brother knocked my case into the toilet and didn't tell me. I got Pink eye

but nothing at all other than that. The strange thing is no matter if I throw them out and try other ones in, the ones I bought online all make my eyes so damn itchy and red
>>
>>9519736
Sometimes you can't cosplay the character without them IE Genos from OPM but yeah for most people they'd just rather not have to deal with their eyes if it's not necessary

I would love to wear contacts for my cosplays, but would need prescription contacts to see anything (my vision is shit) but because of my stigmatism and shitty eyesight one pair would hurt my wallet pretty badly, so I'm only able to wear clear prescription contacts to see by default

>>9520087
This, people only get bad infections because they buy from extremely cheap/shady stores and don't take proper care of them
>>
File: 1495655303105.png (78KB, 231x129px) Image search: [Google]
1495655303105.png
78KB, 231x129px
>>9520144
I think they're the right size, but from preview pics online, it looks like my lenses were meant for dark asian eyes and my bright blue eyes just show up more than normal because of the contrast.
to show,m it's right here, what I circled is bright blue instead of brown like on this model, so it has really high contrast with the red lens.
>>
>>9520155
Uniqso and honey color are cheap stores? where are the quality ones then?
>>
>>9519943
Like >>9520087 said, just practice good hygiene and don't do things you wouldn't do with regular contacts, like sticking them in your eye after they've been on the floor or in the toilet.

Also, remember that the contacts could always be defective, just like any other contact. If they start really hurting or bothering your eye, throw them out.
>>
>>9516109
Some brands have wider pupil holes than others - some lenses labeled with a plus sign have this problem, and usually in the photo you can tell when the lens has a visibly large pupil hole. My eyes are blue and I like how superpinky bright red or new adult red looks.
>>
Anyone have any tips with wearing contacts? I've never worn any in my life, and the thought of putting anything in my eye makes me nervous.
>>
>>9520552
Get a prescription. They'll teach you how to put in contacts. It'll also let you know if you have weird base curves that you need to be aware of when purchasing contacts.
>>
>>9520552

What >>9520632 said. Also maybe try watching youtube videos of people putting in contacts themselves. That helped me. If you're just starting to wear them, practice as much as you can before you wear them to a con/event/etc. It can be slow getting over that "oh god there's something in my eye" feeling.

>>9515292
I'm the anon from a few boards ago wondering if my order for Honeycolor would go through if I left the doctor field blank. It went through just fine. Maybe it's a formality to cover their butts or they only check every other order but why not try it?
>>
>>9519969
I had similar problems until I learned I was allergic to the solution I was using. Switched to oxygen peroxide system and no more irritation. Might wanna look into it?
>>
File: woody.gif (544KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
woody.gif
544KB, 480x360px
Is using your prescription really necessary for circle lenses? I'm only -1.00 in one eye and 0 is the other, I can see just fine without glasses. Every fucking website is either out of stock of the color I want or doesn't do mixed prescription. I want to just say fuck it and get a 0 in both eyes, but will that fuck up my eyes?
>>
>>9522346
>>9515292
The optometrist info on HoneyColor and SuperPinky are literally just there because the FDA would get on their asses if they sold to US customers without asking. There is no way for someone to check up on them about whether they actually ask your doc or not, and they for sure don't.

I had a doctor who was an asshole and only approved me for very expensive daily contacts even though I used a different brand from another doctor with no issues. 1800 contacts actually checked and got a rejection from him, but HoneyColor didn't even call
>>
>>9522914
This isn't always true. I had a friend whose order got rejected a few days after ordering because she ordered prescription lenses but didn't include any info. They probably don't do it for most orders but call every once in a blue moon to cover their asses.
>>
anybody know of a green sclera lense? my friend wants to cosplay terry pratchett's lady luck
>>
>>9515292
I'm so sad HoneyColor is doing this! I initially found them because all the american websites were selling the costume contacts I needed for up to $80 + had doctor hurdles. I was so happy I found HC and have been using them ever since with no issue.

Will someone please update when they find out how the doctor form goes?
>>
>>9516109
Other anons mostly covered this post but I'll also add that even with contacts that have smaller pupil holes, you might still get your blue eyes peeking underneath if you're outdoors/in otherwise bright light, since your pupil will shrink and more of your iris will show underneath the contact. There's unfortunately not much you can do for that. IMO, not a big deal in person, and as for photoshoots, they can be touched up after.

>>9519943
There's a chance of that with any contact, including the regular contacts approved by your optometrist. Basically, buy from reputable sites (Pinky, Honeycolour, Uniqso etc.). Don't buy from unverified sellers, don't use the contact if the seal wasn't intact, and don't buy anything that's sold for super cheap cause it's probably too good to be true. Handle your contacts with care and disinfect them properly and make sure to order the correct base curve for your eyes.

My opto is really chill and for extra peace of mind I asked her to check out a pair for me - specifically, it was Super Pinky Bright Red (I think?) from Pinky Paradise. She said they had good movement and looked good under the slit lamp so she gave me the go-ahead. Not saying this to make you complacent or that it will be the case for every contact - but assuming you use common sense, circle lenses are generally safe.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.