[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canada Generals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 52

File: Captain-Canada.jpg (147KB, 600x996px) Image search: [Google]
Captain-Canada.jpg
147KB, 600x996px
Yeticon's next week, then ConBravo, then Otakuthon, then FanExpo

What else is going on and who's going to what?

I'm doing YetiCon, ConBravo, and maybe Otakuthon if I can find a hotel

I dunno what happens on the West coast or in the Maritimes, so update shit and whatever anons
>>
Going to Yeticon, Conbravo and otakuthon. Not doing fanexpo just going to the park around the area. Animaritimes is sometime in July I think. Halcon is in the fall late October or November. Both are a joke.
>>
Doing ConBravo, CosplayMatsuri and unsure about FanExpo, prob just doing the same as >>9511118 and taking advantage of photog bookings etc in the park and nearby area
>>
>>9511118
Animaritime is at the end of this month which I'm hitting a full weekend of. I've never been before and gf hasn't been in years. Please let it be chill.

I'll be checking out Fundy Fanfest which I guess is new? I'm just going for Saturday to see if it blows or not. $30 for a one day badge and $220 for a vendor's table seems disasterous but it's in the province so why not. I'll report back if anyone would be interested.

I will definitely be going to Hal-con in late September. I just moved to the maritime so I'm not sure what to expect.

>Both are a joke
I can understand Animaritime considering they don't have recorded info/attendance numbers and for going on for years it seems at best questionable. Unsure about Hal-con though, please explain?
>>
>>9511111
Is there anything happening at Otakuthon?
>>
>>9511145
-Man on a Mission concert
-IA concert
-Japanese VA for Saber
-Gunpla Builder World Cup
-WCS Team Canada qualifiers
>>
File: 1205333.jpg (40KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1205333.jpg
40KB, 400x400px
On the Western side, Otafest is in less than a month.
>mfw still haven't had time to repair my favourite cosplay because working on another one at the same time
A-at least that one's almost done...
>>
File: 4qxu6SmsD1svatz3.jpg (44KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
4qxu6SmsD1svatz3.jpg
44KB, 500x357px
>>9511213
>>
File: TJFF-2017_Sliders-1.jpg (330KB, 900x452px) Image search: [Google]
TJFF-2017_Sliders-1.jpg
330KB, 900x452px
For anyone interested the Toronto Japanese Film Festival starts tmr and runs until the end of June.

http://jccc.on.ca/tjff/
>>
Btw there's also a ramen eating challenge next Tuesday at Kinton Ramen on Queen for anyone who's interested and has a big appetite.

>Can you finish our MEGA TAN TAN MEN in 15 mins? If you can finish the entire MEGA RAMEN (including broth) your MEGA TAN TAN MEN ($30) will be free of charge!

> Date: Jun 13 [Tue]
> Location: KINTON RAMEN Queen [402 Queen St W]
> Time: 5-9:30pm

https://www.fb.com/events/129883477584192/
>>
File: 105769.jpg (38KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
105769.jpg
38KB, 225x350px
>>9511260
Thank you, anon. Now it's time to believe in myself.

Also to cut fabric and put my sewing machine into overdrive.
>>
>>9511387
I'm going to see the chihayafuru movie on sat.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170607-211258.jpg (936KB, 1021x1542px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170607-211258.jpg
936KB, 1021x1542px
Great...
>>
>>9511702
Is it even known yet who's running cosplay matsuri?
>>
>>9511788
The same people as Unplugged.
If you mean the actual people, I know one person and I visited their Anime North industry table... It was pretty weird. A girl watching their table barely spoke English or something, when I asked her a question she kind of floundered then brokenly told me to come back when someone else was there. The table people were just running around doing whatever the fuck they wanted. Someone else at the table was straight up using it as a front for their own business.
>>
Is Yeticon any good? Conbravo?
>>
https://discord.gg/jvgXww
>>
>>9512504
Yep, both good for different reasons. Yeti for parties, Bravo for content and guests.
>>
>>9511185
>Was gonna come for the Gunpla Builder World Cup
>Why is accommodation so expensive this weekend
>Osheaga
>Guess I'm going to Osheaga now

Hopefully I can check out the con Friday or Saturday morning.
>>
>>9497693
>>9497638
What's the drama on JC?
What did he do?
>>
>>9514197
be autistic probably
>>
File: ss (2017-06-11 at 04.26.18).jpg (89KB, 394x426px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-06-11 at 04.26.18).jpg
89KB, 394x426px
Any word on this?
>>
>>9515934
The name Warframe barely even rings a bell. Is it popular in esports and competitive play?
>>
Any of you can do carpool from GTA area (i.e. Finch Station or pickup area of your choice) to Montreal for Otakuthon? Hotel space would also be well appreciated... I have lots of shekels, please kindly let me know your pricing and I'll most likely pay asap for it. I can do EMT and Paypal.

I'll be sure to bring proper food this time assuming anyone in the hotel room I'm staying in is hungry as fuck and too poor/lazy to pay for hotel food. Cheers.
>>
>>9517625
If you can't find a weeb carpool normal carpool from GTA-Mtl is like 15$, and plenty of listings on kijiji 2-3 days before.
>>
Anyone in the Durham area going to Yeticon? Looking for a ride on Friday, will pay!
>>
>>9515934
Unless you're obsessed with Warframe, this is probably a waste of your time and money. Not much to do in this city.
>>
anyone sold anything at the garage sale at otakuthon? i sent in an email so I hope it gets accepted but im just scared to lug around my stuff in the wait line for badges (also i have no one to hold my stuff outside the lines since im pretty sure every person has to be there for their own badges soo)
>>
>>9519011
I don't know if it has to be the person themselves but I do know they ask for ID to pickup. Otak has a really nice 2$ bag check though. If you're planning to pick up badge Friday you can always drop your stuff off there.
>>
>>9519011
Are you staying in a hotel, if so how far and are you going for Thursday pick up? What I've done is drop my luggage at the hotel and pick my badge first, then lug it back from the hotel.
I usually set my drop-off appointment on Friday morning and pick up my tix on Thursday evening though.
If anything, maybe ask garage sale people if the can hold your luggage or something, if you're okay with that, the garage sale drop off and the registration are usually in the same large room.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-14-18-40-42.png (363KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-14-18-40-42.png
363KB, 1080x1920px
Just saw this. Anyone have the details on this?
>>
>>9520204
http://globalnews.ca/video/3524968/calgary-police-calls-actions-of-canada-creep-clearly-disturbing

He took some videos of girls at Calgary Expo as well.
>>
>>9520204
Guy got arrested today and is being charged on at least three charges and probably more. Apparently he had "hundreds" of recording devices that need to be combed according to Calgary Police.
>>
I've got a spot for yeti if anyone wants, it's $80
>>
>>9520219
Yikes. I have friends who've cosplayed Starfire. Hope he didn't get anything of them.
>>
This was posted through the AN discord group, but I thought I'd share this here as well for anyone interested. We're planning a meetup on Saturday June 24th for Japanese BBQ at Gyukaku followed by drinks and games at Power Up Game Bar. We'll meet in front of Gyukaku around 6 or 7pm (we'll finalize the time as we get closer to the date)*

The restaurant is located near Church and Aderlaide, and the bar is located near Church and Wellington (about 5min walk from each other).

http://www.gyu-kaku.com/toronto
http://powerupbar.ca/
>>
>>9520240
Glad to hear he's caught. My girlfriend had been a bit concerned about a couple of her cosplays for Otafest with that in mind.
>>
Anyone at Yeti right now, at the Kaytoo dance party?
>>
>>9522898
Just left anything even going on there seemed lame
>>
>>9522902
only lame because people like you make it that way

Who cares if it was a bit quiet? read the mood dude and just enjoy the con :^)
>>
How bad and in-your-face was the progressive bullshit and Western media at Anime North? I opted not to go because of panels like "Steven Universe", "Dragon Age", and "Ask an Asexual".
>>
>>9523326
Do you primarily attend panels? I would have still gone but just found other things to do. The "ask an asexual" panel probably didn't have anyone in it because honestly aside from sounding stupid af it sounds like they also have a huge ego.
>>
>>9523326
Only in your face thing really was "gender neutral" bathrooms in the Sheraton, and even then the people who wanted it just got triggered over it because god forbid cis-het men used the bathrooms.

Wish places would really stop catering to whiners who won't even be happy when they get exactly what they're asking for.
>>
>tfw no qt trap crossplayer to go to Otakuthon with
;-;
>>
georgian room 222
>>
>>9523326
wasnt really in your face in my experience. Though I def dont think they have a place at an anime con I was honestly just happy that it kinda acted as a containment space for those sort of people so they dont spread to the rest of the con stuff as much, like the homestuck threads on here (and to be fair that and all the undertale/marvel/league/mlp/disney/star wars/voltron shit really shouldnt have a place at an anime convention either but I think they just kinda let whatever they think will draw in ticket sales happen
>>
>>9523748
Georgian 448
>>
>>9523594
i'll be your brother in arms, neko
>>
File: 20170617_213029.jpg (2MB, 4160x2080px) Image search: [Google]
20170617_213029.jpg
2MB, 4160x2080px
>>9523827

FUCK

I'VE BEEN MEMED
>>
>>9523891
Party in the middle!
>>
>>9523891
If you do want to party, come to the inn in like 2 hours
>>
>>9523897
>>9523900
which inn? we are going to rave first then looking for parties after prolly
>>
>>9523879
[spoiler]I'm not neko[/spoiler]
>>
>>9523936
exciting!

what are we crossplaying senpai?
>>
I'm at the blue mountain inn and have bucket loads of beer but room mate is asleep what do?
>>
>falling for the yeticon meme
>>
Not really weeb releated, but I thought I'd share this for those of you in the GTA. There's a doughnut festival happening next Sunday at Dufferin Park
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/toronto-life-doughnut-festival-presented-by-dufferin-mall-tickets-34539421339
>>
File: DSC_0951.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0951.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>9523891
>Anonymous
Where you at 222?
>>
>>9524006
got too smashed and died at 3am
>>
>>9523974
>we
I'm not looking for a qt crossplayer to crossplay together, but to tell him how cute he is in that little skirt and to hold his hands after the con.
>>
File: tumblr_nsu4gbv0L81tnqraao1_540.jpg (272KB, 479x799px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsu4gbv0L81tnqraao1_540.jpg
272KB, 479x799px
>>9523981
This whole weekend at yeticon was like one giant meme and was worth ever dollar i spent. Its forsure one of the more fun cons i've been to. Unless my work will give me more time off next year, I might drop AN and only attend Yeti, Colossal, Conbravo and AX.

My only complaint about yeti was that too much of the resort is still infested with normies. I had some fat old Italian ask for a picture with me, grab my by the shoulder and started to grope my man tits. Other than that I had a good time
>>
Anybody going to Otafest? I'm not sure if many people in /cgl/ are from the west or not
>>
File: 237.png (26KB, 100x101px) Image search: [Google]
237.png
26KB, 100x101px
>>9525193
I'll be there.
>>
>>9523777
Voltron was an anime from the 80s, though. The panelists probably barely knew this and never watched it, but it's true.
>>
>>9523338
They gotta cater to whiners or else they'll be accused of being bigots.
>>
>>9523337
Those panels tend to fill to the point of people waiting outside the room. That's the excuse for their continued existence. People don't realize that they are just narcissism and ego boosts.
>>
>>9524002
>General admission sold out
ugh, i hate these ticketed festivals. I missed the taco festival last weekend for the same reason
>>
>>9525317
Oh cool, didnt know that. Havent watched it myself but just saw it becoming the new tumblr obsession so I kinda assumed it was just another western cartoon fad
>>
>>9525486
For what it's worth, a bunch of Marvel properties were made into anime a few years ago, too. Not that most Marvel fans at AN would even know this.
>>
fyi the JCCC is hosting their summer festival on Saturday July 8th, for anyone interested
http://jccc.on.ca/event/natsu-matsuri-obon-festival-3/
>>
>>9524925
Once the con gets more popular and fills up more of the resort, there'll be less normies each year
>>
How many people even go to Yeticon. It can't be more than a few hundred?
>>
>>9527303
About 600+ this year, shit was fucking amazing despite the rain.

Previous year was around maybe 200.

I spoke with one of the organizers, they said this year they were about to break even, so their numbers are doing better. He said if they can break even next year, they'll be in the clear.

Not to mention that the event itself gives a lot of business to the local village, food, etc.
>>
>>9525193
I'll be there! What do you think of the changes last year? Do you prefer the Telus convention centre to the U of C campus? The Canada day weekend to the May long?
>>
>>9527669
The Canada day long weekend is the worst idea. I hate the fact there they choose to have it on a weekend that there is a ton of other things to do, so I have to choose between going and missing out on a bunch of Canada day things, not going and missing out on Otafest, or going and trying to cram as much in a weekend as possible so I don't have to waste my attendance fee to get in as well as enjoy otafest as much as possible. This year in specific is even worse because it's Canada 150 so there is a ton of things to do for free. For others, the fact that the Calgary stampede next next weekend or that Canada day is a typical camping weekend is a real bitch. There are drunks everywhere because it's downtown at night (increased with the Canada day) which makes it more unsafe, and downtown is a nightmare to get around (probably worse for Canada day). I know otafest was outgrowing the U of C but I absolutely loathe the downtown core, but I'll put up with it for Otafest. I don't have any love for the new venue but it wasn't bad. However, the move to Canada day is bullshit. I would much rather they move it back to May long. I also heard that a lot of artists didn't do as well last year, so there's that.
>>
>>9527669
Telus Convention Centre on Canada Day is the worst. You have to go outside to do anything and as soon as you go outside drunk normies think it's okay to barrage you with comments and take your picture. Plus I agree with >>9528181 about not feeling safe later at night with all the drunks downtown.
>>
>>9527365
what? 200 last year isn't right at all. they had 500 badges last year and they sold out of them on saturday. attendance was about 750 total for year 1.
>>
>>9528181
Animaritime is also on Canada Day weekend, and it's a nightmare. People in the FB group were surprised when some people said that there might be drunk people around in the day wandering downtown, as if none of them had ever gone to Canada Day celebrations before.
>>
Is Yeticon worth it if you're a 25+ fan, but still love a good time? Will I feel out of place and surrounded by people younger than I am?
>>
File: O0QkrgR.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
O0QkrgR.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>>9528750
>Canada Day celebrations
> drunk people around in the day wandering downtown
Oh eastern provinces, you so crazy.
>>
>>9528860
Nah, most people are 20-35 I think. It's not really skewing that young since most people are drinking age or older.
>>
On the side of FanExpo; seems Nigri is a guest this year??? I am shocked they are willing to bring her back after the fiasco she caused a few years ago? Thoughts? She must have really apologized if she is able to come back.
>>
File: rope.jpg (87KB, 421x537px) Image search: [Google]
rope.jpg
87KB, 421x537px
oh god, they made a bondage themed JAV spoof on "Your Name", titled "Your Rope".
>>
>>9529654
.....and this is in the Canada thread of /cgl/ why exactly?
>>
>>9529248
Will I feel out of place if I don't drink?
>>
>>9528750
Being in the maritimes, there's nothing to do here but get drunk and maybe go to the two conventions we have. A lot of these weebs who are surprised sound like they never leave their house to even view fireworks for Canada Day.
>>
>>9529328
I doubt she apologized, or if she did it definitely wasn't sincere. Fanexpo probably brought her back because they wanted to milk those titties of hers for more cash from desperate neckbeards.
>>
>>9525202
See you there Senpai!

>>9527669
I like the change to the TCC personally, and I live in calgary so I just transit there as opposed to driving. The date change is pretty bad though, especially on day 1 people seem really 'harassing' and I'm sure like the other anons said it's going to be even worse because of Canada 150
Thankfully I'm male, so I don't get as much of the 'unsafe' feelings during the evenings but I can definitely relate to the girls, especially after that calgary creep incident

It's not much consolation, but at least they have a private deck this time around.
>>
>>9530500
Raised in NS, I can vouch for this
God I hope to the stars above I never move back
>>
>>9530427
Nah as long as you dont have an issue with seeing it. I dont either but still found it a blast. Like yeah it's a bit of a party con but nobody's exactly gonna be drinking at 2pm on the zipline course anon, there's so much else to do that isn't booze-centric. And even if it might end up geared a bit more specifically towards partygoers later at night, there's no one saying you have to attend any specific activities/events at the con; just dont room with ppl who will be throwing major room parties if you dont want to get stuck awkwardly in the middle of stuff
>>
>>9531461
>nobody's exactly gonna be drinking at 2pm on the zipline course

I guess you didnt see me at all during yeticon
>>
>>9525193
Was probably going to go for a day, maybe Sunday

>tfw got laid off last week and probably shouldn't be there
ech

>>9528181
Having it on Canada Day weekend sucks but having everything centered around Telus is so much better, having such a small con stretched out across half of the UofC campus fucking blew.
>>
Fellow Calgarians... Feels weird man.

I can deal with Telus, but I agree 100% with everyone that downtown + Canada Day weekend is the worst. The streets are so crowded, and you can't even enjoy being outside without being harassed or having your picture taken by crowds of people.

Not to mention, this new 24 hour programming... Who exactly is going to take advantage of that? Especially the panels scheduled between 11-1AM, they're really going to be screwed over for attendance.
>>
>>9532296
Go to bed, grandma. The kids will all be awake and enjoying shit at that hour.
>>
>>9532552
Anyone who doesn't have a car or didn't want to bring it downtown (which is a lot of people) isn't going to stay that late because Transit stops at 1. So yeah, they are going to be screwed for attendance just because people actually want to be able to get home.
>>
File: IMG_20170624_184234-2048px.jpg (818KB, 1516x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_184234-2048px.jpg
818KB, 1516x2048px
Don't mind me, just dumping photos from the saturday meetup.
>>
File: IMG_20170624_185434-2048px.jpg (823KB, 1516x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_185434-2048px.jpg
823KB, 1516x2048px
>>9532637
>>
File: IMG_20170624_185457-2048px.jpg (815KB, 1516x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_185457-2048px.jpg
815KB, 1516x2048px
>>9532640
>>
File: IMG_20170624_190332-2048px.jpg (735KB, 1516x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_190332-2048px.jpg
735KB, 1516x2048px
>>9532644
>>
File: IMG_20170624_191245-2048px.jpg (832KB, 1516x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_191245-2048px.jpg
832KB, 1516x2048px
>>9532646
>>
>>9532637
>>9532640
>>9532644
>>9532646
>>9532648
No one cares about your food
>>
File: IMG_20170624_194422-2048px.jpg (671KB, 1516x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_194422-2048px.jpg
671KB, 1516x2048px
>>9532648
>>
File: IMG_20170624_214612-2048px.jpg (1001KB, 2048x1516px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_214612-2048px.jpg
1001KB, 2048x1516px
>>9532652
>>
>>9532566
Except people who live downtown/beltline/east village. Or people who use car2go or taxis. Or people who are coming in from further afield and are using a hotel.

I don't have the stamina for that kind of shit anymore but there are no shortage of options out there that don't involve being entirely reliant on the ctrain. Its only like three panels and an overnight series stream anyway, they're not looking for peak-time attendance for this stuff.
>>
File: gay pride 2017.jpg (206KB, 1040x520px) Image search: [Google]
gay pride 2017.jpg
206KB, 1040x520px
>>
>>9528284
>>9531268
>>9531944
Yeah, agreed. I miss having the outdoor space around the chicken statue though (the weird metal thing), and the only outside spot seemed to be right on 8th Ave, in the middle of the festivities. The food accommodations were pretty bad too, I miss the food court
>>
File: 1475989177329.png (56KB, 446x400px) Image search: [Google]
1475989177329.png
56KB, 446x400px
>>9532834
>expecting weebs to live in downtown Calgary >expecting an available taxi without booking three hours ahead on Canada Day

It should be fine for hotel people though. It's a shame about the rave though, while it's nothing special at all I have friends who like to go and would have liked to go with them.
>>
>>9535765
I think the terrace on that adjacent hotel is being set aside for attendees this year so there'll be more outdoor space

>>9536452
Why's that so unbelievable? I live in the Beltline.
>>
>>9536452
I wonder how bad parking in the TCC would be. It's only $5 on saturday and sunday, I live in the NW so it seems easier than fighting to get a taxi if things happen to go past 1
>>
Shout out to the one other person on here who might be going to Animaritime. I'll see you in the pit.
>>
so what are everyone's plans for canada day?
>>
Anyone here going to AniRev?
>>
>>9538027
Probably going to do drugs in downtown
>>
>>9538120
Yep, my boyfriend and I are. My friend is doing a panel so I'm going to support her, but I'm also hoping to finish one new cosplay. My boyfriend goes as a photog. I don't have any high hopes for it being half decent since it's been pretty boring every other year, but I'd like to be more active in the local scene, or at least meet more locals. I need something to do until SAK.
>>
>>9538027
Spa day because i don't want to go camping with my boyfriend and his family.
>>
>>9537096
Normally it probably wouldn't be much of an issue, the problem is that it's Canada Day weekend so parking is probably going to be completely fucked downtown. Maybe try parking somewhere in the Beltline and walk over.
>>
>Canada Day in Ottawa
500,000 to a million people expected Downtown in this boring city full of boring government people. Oh joy.
>>
>never been to Otakuthon
>quickly check youtube to see what I can expect
>ironic normalfag weebs and smelly neckbeards
>>
File: 1488352030300.jpg (24KB, 656x488px) Image search: [Google]
1488352030300.jpg
24KB, 656x488px
>Difficult to fix piece of my cosplay breaks the night before Ota
G-guess it's time for my backup...
>>
>>9539067
I find it hilarious when people complain about weebs and ugly people at anime cons. Seriously, do you expect to see a bunch of normies who look like models there?
>>
>>9539099
whp were you going as?
>>
File: 1359450500899105.png (114KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1359450500899105.png
114KB, 480x640px
>>9539213
I'm the Harold cosplayer. I wasn't originally going to do her for Ota but my Shauntal shawl was too hot for summer so I was going to just reuse Harold. Then trying to test out my cage skirt some of the tubing broke, so I guess I'll be doing Shauntal without the shawl after all.

I'm also doing Mina so if you see an art hobo there it's probably me.
>>
>>9539232
Neat, was probably going to go on Sunday
>>
Is it me or is Ota super dead this year? I mean it's only Friday but still.
>>
>>9539723
I had passed along Stephen Ave in the afternoon and it seemed like a decent amount of people were milling around outside, no idea what the actual con spaces were like. Putting it right up against Canada Day weekend is fucking retarded though
>>
How's any calgary anons' first day of otafest going?

I tried talking up Harley Miku, but no luck.
>>
>>9539759
Not bad but it's pretty dead. Weather's nice and the normies aren't being nearly as bad as last year so far.
>>
>>9539788
Canada day's tommorow, of course.

Or do you mean, like, casuals?
>>
The little Persona 5 group at Otafest is so cute. I wish I got a pic with them before Futaba and Morgana went home.

Now only Joker is kicking around.
>>
>>9539817
Last year even before Canada day there were people getting rowdy and stupid at the bars and deciding to have no word filters. Fully anticipating tomorrow to be worse though.
>>
>on my way to ota
>malfunctions galore
>I can't even open doors
>stairs make my knee pads fall down

Well I'll make the most of it
>>
Drove by Animaritime and now Im debating if I should go or not. The cosplays looked pretty garbage from the car.
>>
>>9540775
You drove by during the masquerade. All of the good shit was indoors.
>>
>>9541087
Is there anything worthy tomorrow? I just got here from Toronto and wanted to see how the anime scene in Freddy was.
>>
>wanted to go to the otafest speed dating thing
>it was fucking full 45 minutes before it started
I'm gonna be single forever, this was my only hope
>>
>>9541163
I've never gone to these things because I assumed they'd be a cringefest, but I've gotten a lot less averse to panels at otafest in general.

Anyone have experience with these?
>>
>>9541163
>>9541210

I've attended them before and their not great for meeting women. If you've ever tried tinder, it's more or less the same. Basically you play musical chairs, rotate and spend 5-10mins talking to different women. At the end they collect your questionnaire sheets, asking if you'd be interested in meeting any of them again? If you both said yes, they send you their contact information, if not, than you're SOL. But unless you're CHAD you're not gonna stand out in a room full of other guys, so getting a match with a girl and getting her contact is very low.
>>
Does anyone know if Otakuthon has changing rooms? I really don't want to use Montreal bus and metro with a big expensive dress on.
>>
I moved to Vancouver in Nov. of last year, just got a pass to AnimeRevo for the hell of it. I've only been to Anime North and Fanexpo before, what am I in for at AR? Any experiences? Comments?
>>
>>9541569
I end up meeting lots of girls at cons. They are just always literally have fiancees or similar.

Apparently I am attractive too but I dunno. My p5 cosplay has got a lot of pics taken.
>>
Just got back from the fireworks. Bretty impressive but I always regret getting right up close to the bridge since the crowds trying to get out are a complete bitch to deal with.

Well whatever, see you at Ota tomorrow. Maybe. Probably not.
>>
>>9541163
If a mostly joke/slightly serious speed dating panel at an anime convention is your only hope then you're not putting much of yourself into a) finding a partner and b) making yourself desirable.
>>
>>9541678
It's more that meeting girls into anime, video games, and cosplay outside of a con in Alberta is an almost impossible task.

I would say it's akin to trying to find a unicorn but in comparison, unicorns are very common. I've never met a girl into that shit besides cons and I have lived in alberta my entire life.
>>
Anybody doing Otafest tomorrow, I've been around as Leon Kennedy- haven't finished my WIP cosplay so I'll probably recycle it for tomorrow. Hope the weather stays cool and maybe see you guys out there

>>9538120
I'll be going senpai!

>>9541598
I liked AniRevo the two years I went, but their organizing staff is terrible. Last year they got the creators of ghost in the shell from production IG to come. Fucking production IG holy shit, and their translator (god bless her for trying) was pretty bad, then 25 minutes into the 1 1/2 hour panel they kicked the IG guys off to play reruns of Arise. People were pissed. The atmosphere and the quantity of cosplays is good though, just be wary of the panels

>>9539723
It's been low in attendance for sure. Probably because of the con in LA? The artist alley felt a lot smaller this year. Not much I wanted to buy this time around except from that poke-derp panel

>>9540265
The rain drowned them out a little bit, but later in the evening it started getting a tiny bit out of hand. Nothing too crazy, just unwarranted woos and the like.
>>
>>9541601
A lot of girls say that at conventions, as a defense mechanism against creepy neckbeards and other autists. It's just easier for them to say their in a relationship of some sort than have to deal with another guy clumsily try and ask them for their contact or to go on a date.

>>9541739
Honestly bud, you're putting way too much pressure on yourself on meeting women. So it probably shows in your social cues and body language that you're desperate, and girls get put off with the weird vibes coming off you. I'm not saying you're creepy, but that's how it comes across if you're desperate and start to act clingy and weird.
>>
>>9542194
I think what that guy means is that it's hard as fuck to encounter people, especially girls, with those mutual interests, not that it's hard to get along with them. As someone who has also been a Calgary resident for a long time, I am highly inclined to agree in that respect at least.
>>
>>9542203

No, I get that but going by his previous comment
> I'm gonna be single forever, this was my only hope

He's beating himself up over getting a con gf, and whether he's conscious of it or not, he's desperate and it's going to come across as "creepy". He should try to move out into other areas and activities to meet new people, like boardgame cafes, art and media classes, arcades, etc. These places have some overlap in geek culture, that may present an opportunity for you to meet a girl with similar interests as yourself. It'll also help develop your social skills and make you a more "fun and interesting" individual as a whole.
>>
File: 298.jpg (31KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
298.jpg
31KB, 100x100px
>Be Calgary girl into these things
>All guys that interact with me at Ota are either already taken or ugly/reek of creepy desperation

I must not be cute enough.
>>
>>9542228
Because normal guys typically won't just approach random girls unless they're cosplaying and said cosplay doesn't suck.

>>9542224
Unrelated, but speaking of which, how do you actually participate in boardgame cafes? I'd like to meet people in the area to play some games with but cafes are overwhelmingly cliquey and every group seems to be preexisting friends and rather closed off to newcomers.
>>
File: 1332417285202.png (7KB, 485x402px) Image search: [Google]
1332417285202.png
7KB, 485x402px
>>9542228
I'd talk to you. If I wasn't 29.
>>
>>9542203
>>9541601
On the flipside of this, I've recently made one of those dating profile things on okcupid, and I've been finding a gorillion nerdy dudes. Seeing 2 of them at the moment. One's into historical reenactment, and the other's into tabletop gaming. There seem to be a lot of nerds on that site.
>>
>>9542361
That's basically the case with all of those sites anywhere. Nerdy dudes outnumber nerdy girls by like 1000 to 1, hence why okcupid is an almighty hellhole of thirsty guys.
>>
File: 1498934145486.jpg (989KB, 642x9556px) Image search: [Google]
1498934145486.jpg
989KB, 642x9556px
>>9542378
relevant
>>
File: 1498931163331.jpg (160KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1498931163331.jpg
160KB, 750x1334px
>>9542378
some of the "prizes" on okc
>>
>>9542406
>>9542414
Hilariously this is apparently more of an issue in Alberta than anywhere else according to people I know.

Other places are apparently way more diverse in terms of the people on that site.
>>
>>9515934
what the fuck???
barrely anybody plays that game
>>
I just got back from Animaritime and it wasn't awful since I went with someone else but if I had gone alone I would have walked into traffic willingly. The con was just super underwhelming and even the AA had very little to offer. My only interest was the like maybe three people who weren't selling YOI/Ovw/SU bullshit so I was able to at least buy something I enjoyed. Also bootleg vendors pricing higher than the booth with all the official shit was confusing but not totally unexpected.

Panels were boring and I'm a little sad I missed the Masquerade. Only thing that helped this con from being a bad time was being downtown for the Canada Day events. I unfortunately don't think I'll go again.
>>
>>9541577
No changing rooms but Otakuthon has several bathrooms around the con center. Most are very busy/disgustingly dirty but there's the one downstairs past the pink trees and behind the escalator that very few people go to which is probably your best bet.
>>
>>9542228
Q: Were you Harley Quinn Miku?

If so, sorry ;_;

If not, then h-hey...
>>
>>9511142
Not the anon that called them a joke and just got back from Animaritime myself, but I understand where they're coming from (with Ani at least). They butcher everything/it's a terribly managed event/very few original cosplayers and barely anyone in jfash, there's always tons of shitty Naruto cosplays and a bunch of whatever anime is popular that year, but the costumes are seldom good. It's gotten a little bit better over the years (first year I went it was pretty much all Naruto/Death Note/Kingdom Hearts) but it's still meh.
Never been to HalCon but it seems so much better in contrast to Animaritime.
Did you dress up? Maybe I saw you.
>>
>>9530500
Literally this. Fredericton was swarmed with drunk assholes this weekend.
>>
>>9541093
It was bad, don't waste your time lmao
>>
>>9542562
I'm glad you found something in the AA you liked, I didn't. I played the little $1 lotto at the table that had all the pins because why the fuck not and got a little one with an octopus on it, but that's it. Ani claims to have """strict policies""" on bootlegs - lmao ok
Be happy you missed the Masq, it was absolute bullshit and no one knew what the fuck was going on
>>
>>9542949
Jesus that sounds gross. I'm unsure what's worse between that and just wearing it on the way there and I do have a group of friends with me but it's still rather unnerving. At least if I'm in the metro I can isolate myself from other people but that depends if it's crowded or not around that time.
>>
>>9543085
I see cosplayers on the train all the time during con days. Is getting bewildered looks really that bad?
>>
>>9543091
iirc there's no AC inside the metro trains, so if their wearing a large layered cosplay they might be sweating buckets.
>>
>>9543091
>>9543157
I don't care about the looks, it's more the temperature, what I'll be wearing (large dress) and the enclosed nature of the metro hopefully not ruining makeup. Maybe I'll buy one of those dumb dollar store fans just to diminish if it's hot enough to be a risk.

I've never actually cosplayed before Otakuthon so I'm trying to overprepare basically.
>>
>>9543031
They didn't schedule judging properly and ran out of time, so most people who won didn't even know until today. It was not ideal.

Animaritime was okay overall. I met some pretty chill people, and it was nice that the weather wasn't as bad as forecasted. I got some neat stuff, but 90% of the AA was bleak.
>>
File: 1499052648950.jpg (251KB, 637x654px) Image search: [Google]
1499052648950.jpg
251KB, 637x654px
>>9542406
>>9542414
kek
>>
>>9539232
I saw a cute and slightly grumpy looking Mina pass me on the roof, guess it was you?

I had a lot of fun at the voice over panel, did anyone else go?
>>
>>9543509
I only ended up going to anime screenings today, none of the panel subjects interested me. The WTF movie was bretty gud other than an utterly bullshit non-ending.
>>
>>9542248
B-but I am a cosplayer... (of obscure shit)
>>9543008
Nope, not me.
>>
>>9542361
...what kind of historical reenactment, anon??
>>
>>9543509
That was me. Apologies for looking grumpy, I thought it was in character and I have resting bitch face.
>>
>>9543638
Well, in THAT case.

What were you cosplaying as?
>>
>>9543675
Nothing wrong with looking grumpy, I think the sun might have been making everyone squint anyway. I liked your wig. >>9543588
I barely watched any anime this weekend. It bothered me that there were random people wandering around the screening rooms on Saturday though since they were technically in the private conference section
>>
I'm so happy Otafest is moving back to May long weekend. I had a great time this year but the crazy busy Canada Day stuff and overheating in black pleather all weekend really made me miss old Otafest
>>
>tfw I unironically bought one of those Klosed Beta shirts and it's comfy as fuck
new primary pajama shirt confirmed

>>9543742
It's official that they're changing the dates? I actually think TCC is a great location if it isn't clashing with what a clusterfuck Stephen Ave is on Canada Day. There's tons of restaurants along the street and Olympic Plaza is a no-brainer spillover outdoor hangout spot so I have no idea why they'd schedule it at a time when all of those amenities are essentially unusable to congoers.
>>
>>9543638
Probably would have approached if I wasn't an anxious fuck then

Also I got roped into hosting a murder mystery for the winter con. I have no idea what to expect.
>>
>>9542426
>>9542378
>>9542248
>>9542228
>>9542224
>>9542203
>be attractive and decently skilled female cosplayer with bretty gud body
>dudes always checking me out in front of their girlfriends at cons
>men always showing sincere interest in their gazes and remarks at cons
>try my best to be a nice, friendly, and approachable person
>literally never approached in a non-platonic context by a single man, ever, at any time

Completely struck out at Otafest, not a single dude asked me for a number or a drink or even a username. Fuck it's so fucking frustrating. I just want a fucking boyfriend I can love all over and do couple cosplays with. I know I don't smell and I'm not hideous, I can see when they're clearly interested but then they never approach. Guys, stop assuming girls at cons are out of your league or taken or whatever. I am lonely as fuck and have had no real relationship for years because men all assume there's competition. There isn't, I'm totally alone, no one even attempts it because they think they've already lost out. I try to drop heavy hints and blatantly flirt and it never seems to get through. The fuck, I'm so sad guys.

>>9542406
Fucking relatable, just change feels guy to a female and that's my every day life outside of cons
>>
>>9543948
Spastic here.
Curious as to what a heavy hint or blatant flirt sounds like.
>>
>>9543978
Ok, example from PAX West last year. I was standing outside waiting for a friend to show up, alone. See a good looking guy standing there smoking, we exchange smiles. I took a couple of steps towards him to kind of close the space gap but not so close it was invading his personal bubble. I asked him how his weekend was going. He was clearly signalling interest, looking at me right in the eyes, but he kept fumbling all over his words, trailing off and stuff. I figured he was nervous. I gave him my name and told him where I'd be and mentioned I was nervous to meet a guest I was a fan of and if he had any advice. I asked him about himself, what brought him to the con, how long he'd been attending. I told him I thought his job was cool (said he worked the pro gaming circuit in PR) and I had always wondered what a fast paced crazy career like that would be like. We chatted for a few minutes, he kept stealing glances at me and smiling. I felt I had pretty much laid it out on the table and made it pretty clear I wouldn't mind getting to know him a little more. Then my friend texted me and I said I had to get going but that I hoped I saw him soon. Which would have been his opening to get my number if he wanted it. But he just kind of weakly said "Bye."

Sure, yeah, I guess you could argue this one guy wasn't interested in me and was just being nice, and that's fair, but this has happened so many times to me, and after a while I just know. It's like I keep trying and I try to make it easy on men but then ... nothing.
Maybe I do smell bad. But I think it's more likely these guys find it hard to believe I'm interested in them and so they don't take the chance. I don't know what else I can do short of straight up asking men for their names and numbers and a date right off the bat. But such an intense approach can be a serious turn off and signals batshit crazy often.

I've accepted I'll probably die alone. Fuck.
>>
>>9544013
I'm >>9543978
Happy to report that I probably haven't been missing any signals in the past bit, and I'd definitely take advantage if a girl I was interested in showed that much interest, but I'd def be worried I was misreading.

As an aside, I'm in Calgary. ;)
>>
File: 1498919867434.png (313KB, 573x514px) Image search: [Google]
1498919867434.png
313KB, 573x514px
>>9543948
>>9544013
I know that feel anon. I'm a mid tier looking guy and had girls approach me even at Otafest to talk, but I shit you not literally all of them were in like 3+ year relationships or lesbians and just wanted new friends.

That's FINE I guess, but fuck me is it frustrating after a while.

I also just have no idea how to actually approach a girl without it being weird though. I tend to avoid it because I don't want to end up as one of those con horror stories because I'm just okay looking and not really any kind of adonis with a cool job. I probably saw you at some point and just kept walking, sorry about that I guess.

I also have zero interest in casual hookups though, which is apparently another big turnoff in the con scene according to people I've talked to, as that's mainly what people apparently do.

Oh well.
>>
>>9544013
>Which would have been his opening to get my number if he wanted it. But he just kind of weakly said "Bye."

Why didn't you just ask him for his number then?
>>
>>9543948
>>9544013

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have resting bitch face? If you do, than it makes it harder for people to approach you even if you want them to, as you seem annoyed or can't be bother to have a conversation. Even when you try to be friendly when they come up to you, it just seems insincere and you're going through the motions and being polite.

https://youtu.be/78mGJ3aqGuc?t=378
>>
>>9544084
>I'm in Calgary
I live in Vancouver

>>9544329
>I also have zero interest in casual hookups
I don't either, I'm not that kind of grill. I like to have fun and I'm definitely not frigid but I don't enjoy sex without at least some level of emotional connection so I only want it in the context of a relationship.

I just wanna be someone's IRL best girl.

>>9544411
I tried to make the whole thing easy for him but again, I didn't want to come on too intense.

>>9544417
>resting bitch face
Yeah a little bit. I can't help it, it's just my face. Which is why I try to smile as much as I can.
>>
>>9544495
I'm the guy who had the long response. Good to hear that other people aren't just at cons to get laid, not a big fan of that whole thing.

I'd hang out sometime but I live in fucking Lethbridge. Maybe I'll encounter you next Otafest, who knows.
>>
>>9544495
>resting bitch face
>Yeah a little bit. I can't help it, it's just my face. Which is why I try to smile as much as I can.

kk you're gonna have to borrow a pg from Ouran High than and acquire a "lovely item". Something to take attention away from your face and make you approachable.

Excuse the dub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm4RUNYvMzw
>>
>>9543022
>swarmed with drunk assholes
I was there and didn't see anyone and honestly didn't find any actual drunks in public until I was in the pub or the beer garden at the Canada Day event. Where were you that you found so many of them apparently?
>>
>tfw attractive male at Ota who has good social skills.
>like making friends with people

>everyone assumes I'm hitting on them, even some guys.

It gets better

>first girl in over a year I think is cute, I want to be friends with her and see if I can build a foundation for something more.
>work up the courage to give her my number and talk to her more (I've never given my number to people before, maybe too corny?)
>thinks I'm a player and I hit on everyone

I'm romantically lonely; I can make friends super easily, but it seems impossible to ask a girl out.

I'm like the Vancouver anon, I just want something nice with someone kinda cute
>>
File: 248.png (24KB, 101x100px) Image search: [Google]
248.png
24KB, 101x100px
>>9543948
>>9544495
Same here, anon. I don't really do the hookup thing either but I wouldn't mind someone striking up a conversation or something and seeing where it goes. I'm quite lonely and kind of a recluse outside of cons. But nah, I guess cosplaying Pokemon is too obscure or my resting bitch face is too strong.

And no I wasn't an unrecognizable gijinka, I was Mina one day and Shauntal the next.
>>
File: DDw_yQQV0AApC0a.jpg (128KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
DDw_yQQV0AApC0a.jpg
128KB, 1200x675px
Did anyone else see the travesty of a lolita fashion show on Sunday?

>those poor well dressed girls beside all those itas
>>
File: i trust gareth.png (17KB, 481x169px) Image search: [Google]
i trust gareth.png
17KB, 481x169px
>>9543786

Looks like! I love the TCC for location even though it's more expensive to stay downtown but the photoshoot opportunities make up for it.

>>9543948
I was playing wingman for my shy friend all weekend and also completely struck out. But of course, as soon as we leave the con we're surrounded by ugly normie dudes

>>9541601
I'm pretty sure you were the dude I was trying to convince my friend to give her number to. I wish it worked out. If you're at Animethon I'll make sure you go on a Denny's date with someone
>>
>>9544781
Oh man.

What did I look like? I am pretty sure I was the only p5 protag there with his natural hair. Were you two cosplaying as anyone?

I might go to animethon if my wallet can bear it. It would be nice to know if I was actually the same guy though. Whoa, it's surreal.
>>
>>9544838
Pretty sure it was you. Me (Fox) and my Makoto ran into a P5 group outside on Friday and took some pictures. My friend in question was cosplaying Asuka for NGE that day. I chatted with you for like, 15 seconds but you didn't give off any weird vibes so I made it my mission (which failed spectacularly)
>>
>>9544904
Wow yeah I totally know you guys. That IS surreal.

The little makeshift persona group was a lot of fun though, I ended up hanging around with a bunch of them for the rest of the con basically. Good group, a lot of pictures.

I guess I'll see you at Animethon then. Otafest was a lot of fun but the Canada 150 parties going on kind of made Saturday a little more unpleasant than it could have been. I'll probably still be the same character there too.
>>
>>9545057
Yeah, they seemed like fun! I wish there was more stuff to do on Saturday night. I ended up wandering the streets with my friend after the fireworks looking for a party but ended up at a dive bar instead, which wasn't all bad. And sorry if I'm being forward, but I found you on instagram through the group's Ryuji and followed you. DM me there and we can chat before the Canada thread gets even further derailed into a lonely cosplayer ranting thread
>>
>>9544646
That ouji is a cutie. Who's the chafing duck on the far left?
>>
Why does /cgl/ always overlook Montreal Comic Con. Is it the fear of normies? Personally I always think it's a better experience than Otakuthon. Looking forward to this weekend.
>>
>>9545240
I think it's because it's not a weeb convention (centered around anime or moon speak), and focuses more on mainstream comics like Marvel and DC.
>>
>>9544646
At least all the well-dressed ones congregated to one side. Made them easier to identify.
>>
>>9544781
>>9544838
>>9544904
>>9545057
>>9545079
why don't you guys create a couple of throwaway email accounts, post them here and exchange contact information? it's not too late!
>>
>>9545271
>implying that royal creamy chocolate coord isn't trash
>shitty undercut
>shitty f21 blouse
>headbows and socks from completely different sets and not even in similar colours

This photo really doesn't show how awful it was.
>>
>>9545360
Who would you say was good then? At least Royal Creamy Chocolate girl was more animated than the unfortunate face ita announcer.
>>
>>9544566
I was there and any time I wandered more than a block from the con, there were drunk people everywhere.
>>
>>9544624
You're like the male version of me from an alternate universe

>>9544519
This is cute, any suggestions?

>>9544781
>as soon as we leave the con we're surrounded by ugly normie dudes
Yeah, same. Fucking hated it on Saturday when the street was swarmed with drunk aggro brodudes who were all decked out in Canada Day gear but seemed more interested in sexually harassing girls walking by than the patriotic celebrations (no shocker there). One filthy looking shirtless guy who reeked came up to me and asked me to handcuff him because he'd "been a bad boy". I immediately lost my friendly smile and told him "That's disgusting" and walked away while he and his friends laughed.
Normie men are scum. I'd rather die completely alone with a shrivelled dried up vag that hasn't seen action in half a century than ever settle to be an unappreciated wife and cum dumpster who is constantly cheated on by an ugly backwater hick with an IQ of 75 who wears Tapout tshirts and probably has a criminal record. No thanks.
>>
>>9545381
Ita announcer was the worst thing next to whatever shit hole the thrift lolita as they called it got her outfit from. Only good outfits were worn by the girl in Sweetie Chandelier and the blue dress girl beside her hiding behind RCC. Ouji was well dressed but a bit too full of herself. The Q&A afterwards was a cringe fest. I'm ashamed that this show was the best my comm could come up with.
>>
>>9545539
The ouji is active in my comm! She's very pleasant to spend time with, and knowlegeable about lolita and costuming. I think she's trying to set up a cosplay page, so that might explain her 'popular' demeanour.
I don't think L will be back next year. The northern comm is already looking at pulling a couple of you into a team for next year's show, since our process seems fairly streamlined now. We have some very motivated people!
>>
>>9545539
Makes sense. Sweetie said she was new but from what it sounds like Blue is mentoring her personally.

But seriously this is why L needed to veto submissions. Thrift lolita is a well known furry and ita. Handmade ita also should have been turned away because what she makes just isn't lolita. She should just stick to the steampunk community. The fat ita isn't even a lolita, just someone L stuck in a dress. Of course, half the fucking participants dropping out at the last second didn't help.

>>9545576
Northern comm is a lot better organized when it comes to this kind of thing. Their fashion show's pretty nice.
>>
>>9545342
Can you read? They very clearly have each other on instagram. No offense but it was just kind of weird that you'd mention that after contact was specified.
>>
>>9545495

My last bf was a normie and he became a neonazi right after I dumped him. I'm also done with them. I might have a friend for you too if you also want a Denny's date at Animethon...
>>
>>9545057
>Otafest was a lot of fun but the Canada 150 parties going on kind of made Saturday a little more unpleasant than it could have been.

Thank god for the walkway between the north and south buildings; I tried crossing 8th Ave for over ten minutes, and got stopped every single step by randoms for pictures.
>>
>>9544838
Eeyyyyy skinny Markiplier. Congrats.
>>
File: 1479348520689.gif (3MB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1479348520689.gif
3MB, 160x160px
>>9545786
oh god who the hell are you now
>>
>>9544624
Anon who were you cosplayed as? This sounds like a story that happened in my friend circle.
>>
>>9545791
HAHA no one in particular. If you're the right dude, one of our male friends chatted with you for a bit.
Something along the lines of "Do you get told you resemble Markiplier often?"
>>
File: kek.jpg (67KB, 350x529px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
67KB, 350x529px
>>9544646
I'm glad I stayed home and spent the day RPing instead of spending 60 bucks to see this. I might've liked to see the ouji in person again, and the usual well dressed lolitas were well dressed as expected. I'm surprised what'shername isn't wearing cat ears, ddlg collar or showing cleavage.

Was there even a projector this time?
Why was there a Rose Quartz cosplay?
Video of this disaster when?
>>
>>9545263
I get that but Fan Expo and Hal Con etc. are mainstream comic/sci fi cons? MCC seems like the odd one out with gulls.
>>
>>9511142
Animiratimes is nowhere near comparable to Hal Con. First off, Hal Con is held in an actual convention center which is connected to an arena (usually for concerts) which is where you can find the vendor hall.

And that's now the old convention center, this should be the very last year before they move into the new huge convention center so the con is sure to get bigger and better from that move alone.

Secondly, the attendance was almost 10k last year, the cosplay turnout is high compared to most cons, the masquerade is decent and the guests are starting to be worthwhile as well.

Not sure what else to say, it's still operated by volunteers so don't expect comic con caliber shit but that being said it's done very well for itself running independently for 7 years now and has actually boosted the tourism downtown if that says anything.

TL;DR animaritimes is a complete waste of time, hal con is worth checking out.
>>
>>9546396
>Hal Con is held in an actual convention center
Animaritime is held in an actual convention centre, too (and a nicer one than Hal-Con's current location).

>the attendance was almost 10k last year
Maybe of people in total, but I'm pretty sure they only sell enough tickets for 4000 people to be there at any one time. It isn't a big convention at all.

>the cosplay turnout is high compared to most cons
There is a greater percentage of cosplayers at Animaritime.

Both conventions are mediocre. One of them is just actually geared towards anime and a third of the cost and isn't trying to attract tonnes of normies by booking former Degrassi stars.
>>
>>9546525
I was just at Animaritime and it wasn't great and the convention centre was small as fuck. There was almost not much to do since the panels were crap and the guests were not even related to anime in any way possible. Also when anon mentioned 10k, that DOES mean the total of attendees compared to Animaritime, what, ~1900 this year maybe? Even if the percentage of cosplayers at Animaritime is higher, considering how many attendees there were over the entire weekend, that doesn't mean there aren't going to be more cosplayers at Hal-con in just sheer number.

Like you said, both cons are mediocre but considering how the convention went this past weekend I can only look towards Hal-con. At least if there's a lot of normies it's because they actually bought badges and didn't just wander in like what kept happening.
>>
How's Otakuthon?
>>
>>9546566
>the convention centre was small as fuck.
The convention centre is not much smaller than Hal-Con's current one (if you don't include the Scotiabank Centre), and it's much newer, nicer, and has a much better layout.

>not much to do since the panels were crap and the guests were not even related to anime
The panel selection this year was limited, that's true. But they had multiple anime voice actors, and while the magic show wasn't related to anime, it was related to Animaritime's theme, which is a very common thing for them to get a guest for.

>that doesn't mean there aren't going to be more cosplayers at Hal-con in just sheer number
Cosplay turnout obviously implies percentage, otherwise it'd be ridiculous to say things like "there was a better cosplay turnout at AX than Hal-Con." If a con has more attendees, it is almost always going to have more of any given thing, so percentage is implied.

>didn't just wander in like what kept happening
The first floor of the convention centre that Animaritime is in is always open to the public because there are businesses that use it to get to their offices.

I didn't even like Animaritime that much, but stop acting as if Hal-Con is really any better, especially if (like a lot of people on here) you go to cons for anime/Japanese shit.
>>
>>9545600
I think it helps that they have a full team of people helping, and that the convention has made them a part of official programming last year
>>
>>9546013
Granted Fanexpo is more maintstream, but also does include a fair bit of anime related content and hosts VA's and cosplayers as special guests and attractions.

No comment on Hal Con though, as I've never been and don't know enough about the con or it's demographics to give a fair observation.
>>
>>9545838
You're outing your identity by saying you didn't go.
>>
>>9546809
The painting is more of a hint than saying she didn't go is imo. Still, she'd already said she didn't want to go so.
>>
>>9546844
Now I know she's a rude bitch that doesnt really have any room to be insulting others imo
>>
>>9545219
Chafing duck is who's been referred to as L-chan.
>>9546634
Being on the main stage and being official programming definitely helps. I don't think TCC has anything like MacEwan does in terms of a main stage though.
>>9545838
The Rose Quartzesque thing was just L sticking a friend of hers in a dress since four people dropped out last minute.
>>
>>9546863
TCC has a main stage, but it's generally reserved for Otafest run events - Like closing, opening, cosplay contest, etc.

Is there a reason everyone dislikes L-chan so much? Personally I'm a distant friend and I've been curious as to why there's so many issues surrounding her. Is it just that people don't like how she runs things/doesn't seem to be open to suggestions?
>>
>>9545838
>Projector present but wasn't used
>No idea
>Someone was taking video but they may not release the footage
>>
>>9546905
She's pretty much a permaita that doesn't take concrit at all. Then recently someone outed her as an ageplayer and that's very frowned upon in the lolita community.

As for her panels, she blatantly put no effort into the fashion show and yet was insisting on running it even when northern comm people raised concerns about her running so many panels. R-chan (the RCC coord) pretty much had to take over halfway through.
>>
>>9546928
Oh.. my..

That's a shame. The same thing is starting to happen in the Idol community.. She has taken on running all the meet ups and hosting the "Idol Festival" panel. Well I do like her on a personal level, if the lolita comm is this upset I can see the same thing happening within the Idol comm very soon.
>>
>>9546951
Different anon, but I believe that L runs a crosplay panel as well. So it's really unfortunate that they have such a monopoly, especially since it seems like the quality of them is really suffering from it.
>>
>>9546979
Yes, she does run that as well....

I wonder why they allow so many events to be ran by one person? They should really be pawned off to multiple people to keep the production quality up.
>>
>>9546986
I think in a previous thread someone mentioned that one convention had so few panel applications they had no choice but to accept them, even though they knew L was running so many.
>>
>>9546991
It was the northern comm's convention that had no choice to accept but L's local convention seems to have multiple people apply for panels that get rejected.
>>
>>9547009
Mhm. Personally I had a panel rejected for the convention that just finished.
The type of panel I run always gets over capacity as well, I was surprised it was wait-listed.

The upcoming convention, in August, also had many panels rejected. To have the Idol Festival run, around 8 other Idol related panels were declined. (For people confused.. Our province has around 20-30 Love Live/Idol groups. The Idol Festival was created so more groups could perform without having the convention overflow with Idol events - Even though it still is..Ehem)

While I personally support the idea of an all inclusive panel, now I'm pretty worried that it will turn into a mess - since the host will be extremely busy and might not have time to focus on it.
>>
>>9546608
Nayrt but there was no real anime/Japanese shit at Animaritime though. It seemed like they mostly worked to try and fit the theme of their convention as opposed to try and make sure things were actually Japanese/anime related. Even with the VA guests, I felt like things weren't overall very geared towards anime. The only exception was some of the cosplayers walking around and the anime showings and maybe like three panels. Even then a lot/most of the cosplayers were from western video games.

I went for weeb shit and was severely disappointed by the lack of Japanese/anime related things.
>>
>>9546858
I don't mean to insult. BK is a fun person, but she's more interested in the idea of lolita over the actual fashion. Hence all of the thrifted stuff remotely lacey or ruffly. I can't see much detail in the big block of black, but it's definitely a step up from what she originally planned to wear.
>>
>>9546986
L is thirsty for control. She's refused to have assistants do anything more than show up for multiple events then acts like every event went incredibly well, despite feedback saying otherwise for almost nearly all of her panels over the years. I was a close friend with L at one point but I got burnt out trying to support her. She doesn't want to give any effort and tries to improve anything. It's all for praise and attention.

I pray that someone can at least get some of her panel monopoly away from her clutches.
>>
>>9547237
>doesn't want to give any effort and tries to improve anything.
or try to improve anything, I mean.
>>
File: 1496824898668.jpg (75KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496824898668.jpg
75KB, 960x720px
>>9542406
That... hits a little too close to home...
>>
>>9543091
I had to ride in on the metro one year, I wore my wig and cosplay pants, I didn't put on the jacket, gloves etc. until I got to the con. I don't think I looked too weird. I wouldn't want to wear anything too elaborate though.
>>
>>9547446
Hi.
It's just a dress/petticoat/shoes/makeup albeit a bit ornate. Though I was told earlier the places around Otakuthon are nasty so I'm probably just going to get dressed up at my friend's house and go to it with him. I really do wish it had changing rooms though. Even e-mailed them last week asking about it and have not received a reply.
>>
>>9547474
Yeah that sounds like a better plan for you honestly.
>>
>>9547487
Other than that I'm looking forward to it. It should be really fun cosplaying for the first time. Like at first I was thinking I would just do something fun and stupid but before I knew it I blew several hundred dollars so now I'm just going full force.
>>
File: 1407350949479.png (57KB, 784x747px) Image search: [Google]
1407350949479.png
57KB, 784x747px
Is it time we made a separate Otakuthon thread? The con is one month away.
>>
So who else here is blocked by G-san from the con that just happened? Guess we aren't allowed to talk about it publicly without getting shut down, opps.
>>
>>9546013
yes but dont you know cgl has to be a toronto circlejerk at all times?
but in all seriousness yes despite being fairly normie, fanexpo is known to invite decently famous cosplayer guests and do a certain number of lolita events too. No clue about halcon though, dont think I've ever heard about it in more than passing
>>
>>9547237
I think there are more than enough people that are upset with how stuff is being run that it's very likely that people will try and step up
>>
>>9547506
Otakuthon threads are usually slow though. It might die before the con even rolls around.
>that image
Kek, still makes me chuckle
>>
>>9546566
>>9542562
also can confirm this year sucked. Hardly any cosplayers and the ones that were there weren't that good. Most of the con seemed to be under 18 attendees who just threw something together last minute. They pretty much ruined their con with the panel fiasco. I can't see it getting any better in the next few years. Rip.
>>
>>9547506
If I do end up getting a hotel, does anyone want to room up if they got no more? It's going to be at Holiday Inn. Hit me up on LINE: hibikinp
>>
>>9549118
>Most of the con seemed to be under 18 attendees who just threw something together last minute.

Animaritime always has an extremely young demographic.

And by "panel fiasco" do you mean not giving that one super entitled dude money for his mediocre panels? He's only a panelist, so I understand why they decided not to pay for him to come. He then tried to drag them through the dirt by saying his panels were declined, when he didn't even apply for them, he just wasn't going to be comped this year for his room/ticket like he had been previously.
>>
File: Akita-Inu-Puppies.jpg (595KB, 1169x756px) Image search: [Google]
Akita-Inu-Puppies.jpg
595KB, 1169x756px
>>9545495
>This is cute, any suggestions?

Get a dog like a Japanese Akita. Something that says you're a weeb on the down low, but also makes you a more interesting person by default. The dog will also force you to interact with more people as more and more people come to you wanting to meet your dog. thus building your social skills.
>>
Just a friendly reminder that this Saturday the JCCC is hosting their summer festival.
http://jccc.on.ca/event/natsu-matsuri-obon-festival-3/
>>
File: 1494371242165.gif (2MB, 245x195px) Image search: [Google]
1494371242165.gif
2MB, 245x195px
>Prepare cold weather cosplay for Aurora this year
>Announcement from Otafest people
>"No Aurora this year!"
>mfw

I don't really care for these alternate mini-events we're supposed to be having instead.
>>
>>9550750
I hate the mini events. Everyone I know hates the mini events.

I'd rather pay and have a good event vs. get in for free and have nothing to do.
>>
>>9549444
Yes that. I don't care about panels so I went anyways though. I saw people complaining about it on their fb page for days straight.
>>
The person I'd intended going to Anime Rev with had some stuff pop up, would it be weird to go alone? I don't know anyone rl in the sort of anime culture, even in my cos community, it's really comic based. Not really sure what to do since time is cutting closee.. ; __;
>>
>>9547506
did you guys want me to draw another one of these this year? i'm skipping otakuthon this time but happy to draw an updated shitty okatu doodle lol
>>
>>9550750
My group actually had an extremely complex murder mystery panel planned that revolved around the setting being SAIT, and now we have to waste time redoing all of our assets and scripts to make it the TCC

No one is happy about this.
>>
>>9550943
It's not weird to go alone, but if you aren't super sociable, it might be lonely.
>>
>>9551026
Not that anon but how do I handle myself being all alone at a con?

I've never been at a con before and I'll be going alone since I literally have zero irl friends.
>>
>>9551048
Make light conversation in lines or in panels or at AA. If someone is interested, feel free to chat with them. Most people at conventions are open enough about if they have a schedule to get to. If you like someone's cosplay/outfit/itabag/etc, let them know! People like compliments! Otherwise, don't feel too much pressure to befriend anyone. Even people who go in groups will often split up for things if their schedules conflict, so no one will think anything of someone being solo.
>>
>>9550750
Same. I guess this means the con season ends a bit earlier now. They are hinting at some larger event in September but I'm guessing it wont be the same size as Aurora and I'm not driving 3 hours for some shitty little day long event. And I really don't understand why they are doing something in September when there is already ECEE and Rose City.
>>
>>9551289
They replied to a comment that these cons will be the same size as Otafest Pocket... No where near Aurora scale, definitely not worth a 3 hour drive.

September they are planning to do multiple events, not one big one. Don't really understand how they can plan all these small cons but not Aurora...
>>
>>9551148
This basically. I went into Otafest alone and emerged with a lot of friends and even a potential date because I was cosplaying and people talked to me because of it.

Wear an outfit, be cool, and just talk to people. If you're cosplaying it is way less weird.
>>
File: 1478477410509.png (40KB, 306x202px) Image search: [Google]
1478477410509.png
40KB, 306x202px
>>9551458
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being not attractive whatsoever and 10 being very attractive, how attractive would you rate yourself?
>>
>>9551468
I have no idea. I think like a fuckin 4/10 honestly I look like shit in pictures.
>>
>>9551469
Oh yeah and if you're a girl, you get +3 points.
>>
anyone coming to Minicomi this weekend?
>>
>>9550732
Looks pretty interesting, thanks for the heads up!
>>
>>9551026
Yeah, I can get shy at times. I just feel like it'd be kinda lame and yet expensive to go alone. Thanks for the advice
>>
File: 1460725812766.png (436KB, 576x618px) Image search: [Google]
1460725812766.png
436KB, 576x618px
>>9515934
only reason to go
desu
>>
>>9532640
>>9532646
mmm wassat?
uWu
>>
>>9550943
>>9551559
>>9551048
I don't think it's terribly weird if you can afford it. As for making friends, when I go to cons it's usually in groups but I don't mind including people in our activities. Just....it's really weird when someone comes up, compliments my cosplay and then just kinda....stands there. It happened twice at ota (Both being made a little more weird because the other person wasn't cosplaying. Just came up, said my cosplay looked good, no pics, then just stood there awkwardly)

My best advice is just don't be weird. Sometimes you'll run into groups that aren't really looking to make friends. Unfortunately as someone trying to make friends it's on your shoulders to put in a little more effort on the conversation. Compliment someone, ask about their gear maybe, or their IG- and strike up a conversation. Just go in with some loose form of a gameplan and it's easy to let your (potential) charisma do the rest
>>
>>9550943
What are you into anon? I'll go with you
>>
Where do you guys source your fabric online? The stores around me suck and I'm tired of paying out the ass for shipping from the states.
>>
>>9552081
bibimbap and seaweed salad with tofu
>>
>>9551498
Where is that?
>>
File: lichkingcinematic.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lichkingcinematic.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
Is it worth going to FanExpo in full armor cosplay?
I bought a weekend pass just to have the excuse to work extra hard on my Lich King cosplay, but I feel like the walk from the nearest hotels available plus the heat and crowds inside will make it unbearable.
Plus, I only have a guaranteed armor helper for the Saturday.
>>
>>9552348
the same place as last year's
>>
>>9552354
Maybe on the slow days, like Thursday and Sunday. Definitely not Friday and Saturday though, as the crowds will make it difficult to move, and the risk of getting your cosplay damaged is pretty high. Also, you can forget checking out any panels while in cosplay as the mobs of people asking for photos will make it impossible for you to reach them in time.
>>
>>9552354
Maybe, but they're super hard on props so if you're planing on bringing a sword, good luck.
>>
File: sake1.jpg (273KB, 1700x1025px) Image search: [Google]
sake1.jpg
273KB, 1700x1025px
A group of us is going to a local sake brewery tour and tasting tomorrow Saturday at 3:30pm in the Toronto Distillery District http://ontariosake.com/sake-tour-2/ I'm not sure how busy they get but they do take walk-ins so we can add one or two last minute, or just show up on your own and meet us there.
>>
>>9552354
Oy vey, gonna be a real scorcher for you goy :^)
>>
Does anyone know if Otakuthon exhibition hall places take debit often enough that I could go with my card or should I take cash out instead?
>>
>>9551498
I'll be there tabling, and honestly I should've slept hours ago. I wish I made some seagull stuff...
>>
>>9552629
A lot of exhibitors take card now, but no exhibitor will refuse cash. I would say that a good chunk of the dealer's room is okay with card, while artist alley is still cash reliant. There are a lot of banks a few stations away from the convention center though; just stop at one of them before arriving?
>>
>>9552677
Thanks.
Yeah, it was just in case. I'll take some out before anyway but it was just a precaution on my part. Hopefully the exhibition hall is better than last year's since even 2015's was better.
>>
>>9551048
I know other anons are giving advice for you to talk to other people but honestly the ~ magical feelings~ uwu of cons is enough to keep me entertained by myself. I could easily spend hours in the artists alley and vendor halls. Enjoy some panels and Q&As. Play some video games or other activities, watching cosplayers etc.

If you really enjoy the con atmosphere, I don't think you need to worry about other people too much. To be fair, I've only gone to a con once by myself but I did end up staying for 8-9 hours and truly enjoyed myself. Even when I go with friends, I end up drifting off to do my own stuff. I don't let social pressure ruin my time when i'm there to geek out.

(p.s i'm a girl and i'm not autistic, I have minor social anxieties but that's never bothered me at cons because people tend to stick to themselves, I don't cosplay but I usually put together a jfashion coord).
>>
File: 76c4stup.jpg (261KB, 1365x2048px) Image search: [Google]
76c4stup.jpg
261KB, 1365x2048px
The floor is hosting a decent panel
>>
File: IMG_1695.jpg (82KB, 831x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1695.jpg
82KB, 831x1080px
>>9552935
Inspo??
>>
>>9552935
where is this?
>>
>>9553045
Otafest
>>
Anyone else get a room at the Ip/Delta for AN?
>>
>>9553272
I got an error message just now, are the rooms already gone? I heard the blocks weren't opening until September, but I figured that was incorrect
>>
I think some one leaked the code and they caught on because I heard they weren't opening blocks until September as well. The only rooms that were available today was a single queen with a pull out couch so you will still have a chance to get a room later on.
>>
>>9547474
The first post where I talked about the bathrooms, I meant they're all pretty gross except the hidden one in the back. It's clean and well lit and I've gotten ready there several times myself.

>>9553272
>>9553387
I heard rooms would be open July 7th from some papers posted around the IP or something but I checked yesterday and nothing. Official AN page says hotel blocks open up September 1st.
>>
>>9553272
>>9553429

Fuuuck I always forget to book shit. I hope they really are opening in September. Did you call or try booking online?
>>
>>9553685
It would save me so much trouble if I could change in there. Is it a one person bathroom or multiple people in at once?
>>
>>9553685
>>9553916

Someone posted the group code on the unofficial AN fb page but it stopped working after about 3 hours and was only for single queen rooms so its safe to say that a majority of the AN block is still going to be available Sept 1st
>>
Anyone going to G-Anime?
>>
File: 1486267779826.png (235KB, 366x528px) Image search: [Google]
1486267779826.png
235KB, 366x528px
Anyone going to ai-kon?
>>
File: allBookedUp.png (20KB, 498x269px) Image search: [Google]
allBookedUp.png
20KB, 498x269px
Who the fuck organizes AN... lol
>>
>>9555163
Yowza, this is crazy. The entire block was booked in an hour? Radisson or bust boys, I'm not walking from the Fairfield in full armor again
>>
>>9555180
I think the crazy part is that they aren't doing anything to remedy it. Surely the person who contracts the hotels for AN blocks isn't so incompetent that they don't put a specific start date into the contract?
>>
>>9555189
Yeah, you're right. Now according to the post I expect hotels to just open up at their discretion with no warning.
>>
>>9555189
Probably staff hooking up their friends, or making money off of selling the code pre leak.
>>
>>9555189
I assume you weren't there the year you could get the hotel booking for the next year... when you checked out of the hotel at the doubletree and the Radisson on Sunday.
>>
>>9555189
It's certainly bullshit, but I don't know that they can do much at this point. It's already booked up and they can't take rooms away from everyone. Really hoping this isn't going to happen with the rest of the hotels.
>>
>>9552677
I find that it is best to have cash for both and only use your card as a back up. Not all exhibitors accept debit/credit.
>>
I'm surprised there's not more drama being posted here after how AN royally fucked up the hotels
>>
>>9556350
Yeah, like I said, cash is still best.

>>9556914
Considering it's AN, I'm not even surprised anymore.
>>
>>9556914
People got used to AN being a shit show.
>>
>>9511260
Made my day!
>>
File: IMG_0976.jpg (284KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0976.jpg
284KB, 1200x1200px
>>9555065
Yeeee baby. I am excited to wear my full body zentai suit in public again. Planning to take the bus in it because I would boil in my clothes if I wore casual stuff over it and I don't want to change at the con center. I got a dancer's belt too, so no bulge this time.

Quick question; a weeaboo tinder girl said I could crash with her and her girl friends in their hotel room. I am beta as fuck, and even though she said her friends are cool with it, she had an awkward facial expression last time I asked about the room. SHould i take the offer?
>>
>>9559084
Some random dude crashing with a bunch of weeaboo girls? What could go wrong?
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.