[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travelling with Lolita & Jfash / Capsule Wardrobe Gen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: 20151025131450-1109ba89-me.jpg (131KB, 419x594px) Image search: [Google]
20151025131450-1109ba89-me.jpg
131KB, 419x594px
Have you travelled with all or part of your wardrobe before? How did you pick what to take? Did you wear lolita the whole time, or did you have normie clothes for emergencies? What worked well? What would you do differently?

Also a tiny wardrobe gen for those who want to discuss getting maximum wear out of a few items, since the same principles apply.
>>
>>9510550
>Have you travelled with all or part of your wardrobe before?
Yes, twice.
>How did you pick what to take?
The first time I packed whole coords to wear to indoors and didn't think too much about mixing and matching items. The second time I wanted versatility and to be able to dress for different weather so I tried to pick a variety of things that would match either black or white, but I ended up taking 5 pairs of shoes and 4 bags in the end anyway, so I could probably have gone with a less restricted color palette.
>Did you wear lolita the whole time, or did you have normie clothes for emergencies?
The first time I brought mostly normie clothes because I was only wearing lolita to special occasions, the second time I wore lolita pretty much daily and just brought a couple of pairs of jeans for emergencies. I travelled in normie clothes both times because it was a long, sweaty journey and I didn't want to risk wrecking a dress.
>What worked well?
I was on the fence about taking one pair of flat shoes because I thought heels matched my coords better, but in the end the flats were a godsend because I was doing a lot of walking and I only wore the heels once. If I did it again I'd plan all my coords around flats or flatforms like RHS and only pack heels if they were good-quality real shoes and not uncomfortable pleather crap.
>What would you do differently?
Either not bringing any black or bringing more black stuff. I brought a lot of black shoes, bags, accessories and main pieces but only one black blouse - an extra one would have given me a lot more versatility. I also saved space by not bringing any wigs, but I really regretted not bringing curling tongs because it was hard to get my natural hair to sit nicely.

Lots of unexpected bad weather fucked me over, since I'd only brought a couple of rainy-day coords, not a whole week's worth, but I'm not sure if I'd change how I pack next time though, since it could just have easily been a heatwave all week.
>>
File: 1415530436440.jpg (552KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1415530436440.jpg
552KB, 1024x1024px
>>9510550
Yes (although it was all travel via car, which meant I could bring as much as I wanted. Haven't done an airplane/train trip ever since getting into lolita)

I limited myself to 1-2 color schemes, which then restricted me to only 1-2 shoes and bags, which imo takes up the most luggage space. Aside from that, OPs and darker colors are my go-to for traveling.

>Did you wear lolita the whole time, or did you have normie clothes for emergencies?
For winter trips, I wore lolita the whole time since its warm and I generally dont do any physical activities in the winter.
For summer trips, I brought along normie clothes for physical activities (beach, hiking, etc) and also to change out of halfway through the day when its too hot. Summer normie clothes don't take up too much space in luggage anyways.

>What worked well?
Sticking to a limited color scheme and bringing less bulky accessories like shoes and bags. Winter trips in lolita are infinitely easier than summer trips. I wear both classic and sweet, and classic is just so much easier to pack for. Also, people in tourist-y areas are less likely to annoy you in classic.

I took one particular trip in the summer where I was away for about a week and had planned to wear lolita for all 6 days. I couldn't even lift my bag by myself and I had 4 pairs of shoes and 4 bags with me. I only ended wearing 4 coords and had to switch out halfway through most days because I was either going to the beach or biking or kayaking. Also it was hot as balls and by the end of it all, I wish I had taken my hoopskirt instead of pettis.
>>
Only part, and only for short trips/long weekends.
I picked 1-2 dresses that could be worn with similar pieces, and the other coordinate pieces had to work in with the normie clothes I took
I've never been able to wear lolita full time because I invariably end up doing something active when I'm away, so need normie clothes too.
>What worked well?
I generally only take carry on unless it's for more than 5 days,so always wear lolita flying. I wouldn't do that for say, more than a 4 hour flight though.
I always forget how uncomfortable net pettis are flying but I don't have a really full organza one. Also I always take too many pairs of shoes and forget I have to walk places so end up wearing the most comfy pair with everything.
>>
>>9510810
>wearing lolita on a plane
no thanks, pal
you mentioned how uncomfortable petticoats are while sitting plus how would you contain all that poof?
>>
>>9510810
>Also I always take too many pairs of shoes and forget I have to walk places so end up wearing the most comfy pair with everything.
I do this every time, I took seven pairs of shoes last time I went back to see family and ended up rotating through the same three pairs because nothing else would stand up to more than a few hours walking.

>>9510827
Chiffon/organza petticoats are comfy as fuck, it's like sitting in a blanket.
>>
File: IMG_0335.jpg (155KB, 750x741px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0335.jpg
155KB, 750x741px
I did a 6 month study abroad programme in the U.K. and I took pretty much everything with me. I'm from the US so that was one hell of a plane ride. From the UK I visited france & germany a couple of times with my lolita stuff.
For the initial trip I had to pack both a lolita wardrobe and a normie wardrobe and I was actually more strict on my normie wardrobe. I basically took everything that wasn't white, black, or pink. My lolita wardrobe was different though, I think I took like 7 jsks, 3 skirts, 5 blouses, 2 petticoats, maybe 4 pairs of shoes, a wig, and a pink normie coat that could hold a petti. Didn't take any purses because my normal purse was pretty loliable, and I just shoved it out of the way for pictures. I didn't really know what events or really anything about the lolita comm that I was visiting so I just sort of packed for all weather. When I visited France and Germany tho, I put a few outfits into a carry on and took that on the train.
I definitely didn't wear it the whole time, but it was nice to have it with me
>What worked well?
When I packed I rolled everything up to try and prevent creases and save space. I wore my smaller petticoat on the plane over and stuffed the larger one in my suitcase. They're both chiffon so it was pretty Comfy
I wore my RHS on the plane also and that was not the greatest idea because I had two transfers that I had to navigate with my suitcases and that was a bit of a struggle. Also when I was in paris I bought more clothes from baby and axes femme so coming home I had even more shit. I threw out so many normie clothes and I still had to buy another suitcase to get everything back home. Pic related is me packing my suitcase to return to the states
>>
>>9510827
I've gone flying twice in lolita, both times with two petticoats on because I wanted the extra space in my bags. It's not that bad at all. The only thing that sucks, and is why I'm wearing ouji this time is being pulled over by security to be patted down because of my poof.
>>
>>9511075
I wore two petticoats, two dresses, a skirt, and a blouse on a plane once because I bought too much stuff and they wouldnt fit in my bags and I didn't want to check an extra one. I felt like a marshmallow. The looks I got from TSA were hilarious
>>
>>9510550
Similar to >>9511070, I did (technically still am doing) a 9 month study abroad program in Switzerland (from Canada) and brought a small portion of my wardrobe with me

Picked a couple fave pieces but mostly just non-prints and things I knew were versatile, that I could machine wash and that would fold up pretty small (no built-in pettis whenever possible). Luckily my wardrobe is mostly skirts rather than jsks so they're a lot less bulky, which was really handy. Also tried to bring a lot of axes femme blouses/cutsews and stuff that's easy to dress down for normie wear as well, and tried to keep within colour schemes I could use mainly two pairs of shoes for.

Had to bring mostly normie/casual jfash clothes for the sake of saving space (living out of 1 suitcase for 9 months and thus all 4 seasons doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room) and so I wouldn't have to worry about stuff getting wrecked by harsh laundromat washing machines

>What worked well? What would you do differently?
It worked pretty well! Impulse bought a couple cheap pieces online while I was here, taking advantage of closer shipping distances, but knew I'd be able to send them home with family when they came to visit, so that was fine. Brought one specific BL skirt I knew would fold flat and I wouldn't care about tossing in the wash, but unfortunately failed to realize that mostly I just don't like wearing it anyways. Sent it back with family and selling it when I get home. Could've brought something nicer in its place, ah well.
>>
>>9510827
It's the net tulle ones that are uncomfortable because you end up with the net rubbing against your leg, organza is fine and quite comfy. I generally scoop it all up and strap it in my seatbelt. To be honest I like it because I always seem to end up seated next to people who have no idea of personal space (arm right over on arm rest, spreading legs out sideways) and I just release the poof into them if they're getting annoying.

>>9511058
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Or I'll take a pair which I think are comfortable and realise they aren't.

>>9511078
I have put stuff under my petticoat because I was 2kg over the carry on limit coming back home on a budget airline once - they were weighing carry on at check in and I had forgotten to check in online. Went into the bathroom, tied a bunch of stuff around my waist under my petticoat, got the bag tag stating it was the right weight, and then went back in to the bathroom and repacked it.
>>
File: IMG_2730.jpg (53KB, 448x560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2730.jpg
53KB, 448x560px
Yes.

I plan one comfy outfit around whatever will cause the most discomfort (walking a lot, crowded warm venue, shitty weather). Then I add in items for other situations (formal dinner, casual park day?) that mix and match well with the base outfit, until I have enough outfits for each occasion. This usually means only one pair of shoes, one large bag, one small purse, and items like outers and accessories are worn more than once during the trip.

A pair of skinny jeans, a pair of foldable ballet flats, and a lightweight cardigan! Roll up and stick in bottom of bag for that time someone needs help changing a tire.

>What worked well?
Packing minimally and picking shoes that work with black AND brown (wine). Small, tupperware packed with cotton balls for jewelry, tweezers, accessories, makeup, etc, so they're not crushed or banged around. More, smaller pieces (skirts and cutsews/blouses to mix and match rather than bulky OPs). Bringing a little detergent and a couple clothespins for longer trips so I can handwash and re-wear blouses or tights. Bodyline petticoats, the silky ones you can crumple up without deflating. Hard, small carryon, so people can't flatten and crush things inside.

Nothing, I like my system and prefer not checking baggage.
>>
>>9511277
That luggage is super cute, where is it from?
>>
File: 20170109逕サ蜒・w-20199-04.jpg (87KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
20170109逕サ蜒・w-20199-04.jpg
87KB, 700x700px
Did anyone have concerns about packing to minimise the risk of pickpocketing, or do you think that lolita is so eye-catching pickpockets won't target you because they know people will always be looking at you? When I was packing for a recent trip I realised most of my lolita bags didn't even zip up fully and a lot just closed with a single magnetic clasp, which made them really easy to steal out of. Plus pretty much 0 lolita bags have a non-slashable strap. I tried to buy a nice backpack to bury stuff deep in but when I arrived I realised it just had a magnetic closure too!

In the end I didn't worry too much about it because I was staying within the same country (UK), so I just tried to hold my bags so they were always visible, but I'd definitely be concerned if I was going to somewhere like Paris, Barcelona or Rome.
>>
>>9511372
I've worn lolita both in Paris and Barcelona. I actually got robbed in Paris, but managed to get my wallet back by screaming loudly at the thief and, wearing full lolita right after a huge teaparty, we were attracting quite some attention. He chickened out and threw my wallet back at me. Nothing happened in Barcelona. My go-to travel bag is a cross shoulder bag with a zipper that I rest my hand on while walking around. That seems to be quite save. The Paris incident happened while I had my bag unzipped to get out my ticket at a subway station.
>>
>>9511352
It's Liz Lisa
>>
I regularly travel with a part of my wardrobe
It depends.

If I go on vacation I pack a lighter petti and a foldable hoop skirt, 2 or 3 dresses that are hand-washable and not prone to getting winkles. Accessories, blouses and legwear that work with all dresses. One pair of shoes that goes with all dresses and one pair of comfy non lolita shoes. I usually wear the comfortable shoes all day and just switch to the lolita shoes for pictures. Also a big bag that fits a lot of stuff.

I am currrently in a long distance relationship, so I regularly travel to my bfs place as well. I have a couple of shoes, basic items and pettis at my bfs place, so I dont have to pack the basics all the time. Also larger items like hats and bags. I can easily bring 3-4 full coords each time I visit him.

I also used to travel a lot due to work. I felt that wearing elaborate lolita was impratical for the few free time that I had, so I sticked to casual and otome. Lots of cutsews and lace tights that I could also wear to work. Headbows and accessoires that dont take away much space. Skirts and JSKs that can be coorded with a cutsew.

I always pack T-shirts (when it is summer) or cardigans (when it is summer) and a pair of normie extra shoes or work clothing when I travel for work.

>What worked well?
No OTT stuff, I rather pack items that I can recycle a lot. Planning outfits in advance and making sure everything matches each other. Lolita bags are not needed for travelling. Wearing lolita while travelling saves up a lot of space. If I can, I always wear one simple outfit with a petti on the plane, train etc.

Never forget the extra pair of normie shoes while travelling. Air traffic control can be a dick about shoes, especially boots usually have to be taken off for inspection.
>>
>>9512140
I meant
>or cardigans (when it is winter)
>>
>>9511372

This is going to sound slightly retarded, but pickpockets are the exact reason I tend to choose lolita dresses over normie clothes when travelling -- not the full lolita with petticoat, just any AP cutsew onepieces and any hardy AP dresses that has pockets on both sides. The wallet (and hotel keycard) goes in one pocket, phone and passport goes in the other. If I'm not in a country where I need to produce my passport for discounts, the passport will go in a travel pouch under my dress, not out in the open.

No visible pockets for pickpockets to target, plus the seam pockets are not the easiest things to find, let alone pick. Bonus points: having both hands free to carry souvenirs and whatever.

Downside: those in-seam pockets are hard to find, sorry to all the random foreign sellers who stood there looking puzzled while I fumble through my skirt trying to find my pocket..
>>
File: BqfD7S9CUAA8hIn.png (292KB, 580x583px) Image search: [Google]
BqfD7S9CUAA8hIn.png
292KB, 580x583px
Would it be stupid to wear lolita to USJ? I'll be there this year in the off season so i'm not too worried about crowds/overheating (it'll be Autumn), but I figure it would be difficult to wear on rides. My sister and I are planning to go on at least a few of the 'thrill' rides so i'm not sure if it'll be practical...

Also, would people say RHS are good for walking a lot as they're technically flats? I'm planning to bring probably just 2 pairs of shoes, and RHS will work with the outfits i'm planning to bring, but I don't want my feet to suffer. Should I just go for cute sneakers (AP ones, converse etc.) and do more casual looks?
>>
>>9511372
pickpockets are probably more likely to go for actual pockets than bags. I was pickpocketed when I was in Hong Kong- They took my room card out of my back pocket. (Luckily it was a nondescript grey one so they couldn't use it for shit)

After that I was very wary and kept everything in a zip up bag and had it cross-body on me at all times. I also kept it towards the front of me, never the back. I had no more problems after that, and I was in one of the worst areas for pick-pocketing.

I would say try take zip close bags where possible, and just be aware of your bags at all times. Also, keeping important stuff in a pad wrapper is actually a great deterrant- If you have a card wallet/cash on you, wrapping it in one can stop most people even wanting to touch it.
>>
Anyone have suggestions for cute luggage? Mine now is okay, but very normie. I'm looking for something a bit more "loliable." Also would love recs for pretty garment bags!
>>
>>9512149
RHS are not flats, and Japans streets have tons of bumps, cracks, and uneven, plus lot of stairs and walking in general
>>
>>9512149
I've worn lolita to USJ, including going on roller coasters.
Don't wear a wig, wear a hair accessory that can easily be removed (and therefore put away when on a ride), and go easy on the poof. Lots of people dress up at the park (costumes, themed outfits), so it's not that unusual.
>>
>>9512149
Seconding >>9512245 that you don't wear a wig. Park staff delayed our super tame roller coaster to make me remove my small hair bow, and my friend had to secure her wig to her clothing using clips they gave her.
>>
>>9512218
I find RHS as comfy as flats on flat surfaces, but uneven/cobbled streets are not good in them.
>>
>>9512245
>>9512249
That's good advice, I didn't even think about head wear. I had no intention of wearing a wig there anyway, so I'm all good on that front.

>>9512218
>>9512818
Hmmm, that's a valid concern with the bumpy streets, especially as I'll be doing most of my walking in Harajuku. I want to avoid wearing even small heels as I want my feet to hold up for as long as possible, so I might try suss out some second hand pairs of AP sneakers as I'm thinking that's my best bet for comfy + fashionable!
>>
>>9513361
Have a look for brogues or oxfords. They've always been considered a more classic shoe option, but I've noticed normie stores stocking a lot of pastel, metallic, and glitter ones.
>>
>>9511070
Just out of curiosity, ow many suitcases did you take in the end? I usually roll cardigans and normie clothes but fold dresses and blouses large and flat as they compress better and wrinkle less.

I saw a video on the method but can't find it now, it's basically just laying the whole dress out flat, folding the bodice down, folding each side in to make a square, then folding how you like from there. I got seven dresses, three skirts, four blouses, five cardigans, ten long-sleeved T-shirts and a couple of cutsews, jumpers and jeans in a smallish suitcase that way.
>>
>>9518401
Forgot to mention, also packed four pettis in the same case. Squished right down.
>>
Do you take photos of your coords while on holiday or do they feel too imperfect? I was excited to get a lot of nice snaps of my holiday recently but in the end I only posted one or two because it felt so samey having so many coords with the same shoes, bag and accessories. Other days I was super busy and just forgot to take photos.

I know I shouldn't feel obliged to photograph/post all my coords but it felt like a bit of a waste since I so rarely get to wear lolita at home.
>>
>>9520049
I take photos but only post if there's particularly cool backdrops etc, that way I usually only end up posting once or twice. I tend to wear lolita at least weekly at home so it's not such a big deal for me
>>
Has anyone ever had a problem with bringing a parasol as a carry on item on an airplane? I bought one while on a trip and I'm worried that it will be confiscated.
>>
>>9526412
Double check the length restrictions on cabin baggage and whether it's allowed as your small item. I carried one from Singapore to Australia on Singapore Airlines no trouble, but other airlines may not allow them.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.