[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

larp thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 101

Brand new larp thread, because we aren't gonna get tired of this in the near future.

previous thread
>>9465420
>>
>>9500908
It's "Les Contes de la Brume" (Tales of the Mist), a French LARP

Thanks for the advice !
Regarding weapons, I have a friend who can lend me a sword and a dagger, but man I just Googled shaolin spades and they look real cool ! Might be a bit cumbersome though, I was mostly planning on booking it if things go south since I have 0 experience in fighting. I'd like to live longer than half a day of I can help it !

Trinkets are always nice, I've been going to rummage sales and charity shops looking for cool stuff. I'll see if I can maybe find some jewelry ? Or a nice hand mirror. You never know when you need to bribe your way out of a situation.

Regarding hobbies, I know the other snakes last year liked to play Mahjong but I haven't been able to find a cheap set. Dice are a nice idea, I hadn't thought of that, plus it's very lightweight. I was also thinking of buying an old medical book, maybe one about plant medicine with nice illustrations ? It might kinda heavy though. Other than that, I thought about picking up an instrument, like a bamboo flute maybe ? But the event is soon and I don't want to be responsible for burst eardrums caused by my bad playing. I could bring a sketchbook though, it's easy to carry and I'm not too bad at drawing.
>>
>>9500958
Sounds cool, I'll look that LARP up. Was curious since we have a local Asian inspired group as well, so I find it cool to hear about others who play in the same setting for ideas and such.

Drawing is wonderful anon!
Useful as well, since you could draw and write notes, and players absolutely love it when somebody takes the time to draw, or even just sketch their characters. Medicine books would great, especially if you run into other medics and wanna share trade secrets.

DESU I recommended the spade or staff because aside from looking cool they're good weapons for those who are not experienced fighting, since you keep the enemy at bay and just stabbity-stab them. If not, walk around with a friend who knows their way around a sword, or get one of those inferior bodyguards you mentioned.

Come back here to share some stories about how was it. Would love to hear how it was!
>>
File: blesbock horn.jpg (27KB, 570x429px) Image search: [Google]
blesbock horn.jpg
27KB, 570x429px
Got an African Bleckbock horn for a swaggy knife I'm crafting! Should add alot of depth to my kit.
>>
>>9501139
autocorrect.
Blesbock horn*
>>
>>9500958
Not the same anon who has been talking to you about this but I really like this LARP setting of yours! Also once your costume is completed or when you're at the LARP you ought to post pictures of it all, its really neat
>>
File: MaceNshield.jpg (122KB, 1226x360px) Image search: [Google]
MaceNshield.jpg
122KB, 1226x360px
>>9500958
Booking it with a staff weapon isn't all that hard when it's larp. The real monk spade is quite a heavy weapon, but we're talking about foam, here.
That said, you could otherwise use a club/mace, the eastern monk variety is called a melon hammer. These are often practiced as a dual wield, but realistically you'd want to combine it with a shield. Apt would be a tengpai, which is a wicker heater shield with a creature's face painted on it. There's also a neat Japanese style of MA that used to have shields made out of turtle shells, which might be a cool touch.
>>
File: serveimage[1].jpg (74KB, 640x447px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage[1].jpg
74KB, 640x447px
>>9500958
>Trinkets are always nice

Personally, I also bought a Khon mask at a brocante. My monk carries it on his pack like the happy mask salesman or from his door, to ward off evil. I'd have preferred a Tibetan mask, but those were harder to find.
>>
>>9502005
If I could, I'd buy an oni mask and join this, but I can't.
>>
meanwhile a few pics from the beforementioned "fallout" larp.
I really wasn't satisfied with the game especially seeing the costumes...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>9502224
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>9502187
And yet, many of these costumes would still be considered above average in most US games...
>>
>>9502976
I still consider most of them shit because the half the costumes were either simple civilian cloths or clean military BDUs
>>
>>9500993

I checked some tutorials and apparently staffs are quite easy to make so I might head down this route ! I'l share stories when the game's done but I bet I'll have a blast ! The organizers make a few games a year in this universe so I'll try to participate in as many as I can. Last year they even had a parallel event where players left a week early before the main game and walked 80 kms in a few days while carrying all their shit until they reached the main game's area. Hope they do it again

>>9501662
Will do !

>>9501979
>>9502005
I like that mace, looks like a cool weapon if I decide to become more involved in combat at some point !
Masks are cool too, I could hang one on my basket pack !
>>
What's the best way to get into LARP? Buy/make a sword and shield and just show up at a practice? These websites suck, people list a weekly practice, but it could be an old listing from years ago, and these guys are disbanded.

What's the best way to find a local LARP group? I've tried Facebook to little avail (I'm not going 40+ miles to meet these people weekly). The Dagorhir website is shot, no way to search that. There is a close (Haslett/Okemos, Michigan) Amtgard group that may or may not exist. How do I communicate with people I can't meet?

Is there a group/brand/ style of LARP that's better than the rest? I talked to a guy about Dagorhir years ago, and liked the "weapons only" approach of that. Reading up on Amtgard seems close to it, but with a smattering of magickery and a fucking monster manual. Am I going to be swinging at invisible orcs?

Also, I work at a laser shop, so access to good, potentially laser-cut metal is easily available to me. How hard is it to turn some 16-18 gauge steel into something presentable, or at the very least, marketable?

I know this is a ton of spoon-feeding I'm asking for, but I'm super interested and I'm worried I might be at a dead-end googling for local groups.
>>
>>9503469
Where are you from anon?
Usually checking out FB groups and talking to people are the best ways.

There aren't nessecarily 'Better' styles, depends on what's fitting you. If you want to just RP there's chamber LARPs. If you wanna beat people in Motocross gloves with foamsticks there's Amt/Bel/Dag.

Usually the US scene sucks but there might be some good stuff
>>
>>9503506
Mid-Michigan, about halfway between Lansing and Detroit. Amtgard has (may have?) a group to my west, but I don't know if they really exist. There seems to be something east in Brighton (they call it CARPS), but it seems more like a RP group. I'm really more interested in smacking people with a sturdy pool noodle.
>>
>>9503521
If you're more interested in the combat and can take or leave the RP, Amtgard/Dagorhir sounds like your best bet. The Amt group that might be near you, do they have an email address listed that you could send inquiries to? It might be worth asking if they're still around.
>>
>>9503469
>How hard is it to turn some 16-18 gauge steel into something presentable, or at the very least, marketable?
Pretty damn difficult if it's anything other than brigandine, lamellar or scale. You don't just hammer sheet metal into the desired shape. Having a laser cutter certainly makes those three easier, though.
>>
File: 1438818821710.jpg (105KB, 646x960px) Image search: [Google]
1438818821710.jpg
105KB, 646x960px
>>9503673
That in mind, brigandine is top tier when it comes to swag armor.
>>
>>9503779
and takes more work to make it properly than a breastplate. Although slightly less equipment
>>
>>9500921
Anybody ever run a small scale larp for friends? Arouns 4-8 people? How'd it go? What kind of larp was it?
>>
>>9504004
if you pump up the number to 10-20 than most of the early day larping in hungary way like that and some groups still persist on this
>>
>>9503469
I play monsters in Amtgard.
Monsters are used very similarly to typical classes in the game. You, or anyone that is allowed for the event, play the monster by the monster manual so that there is consistency. It also helps smaller groups that want to have 'us versus the big monster' games or events. I feel that it also promotes some of the RP that is typically lacking in the American boffer-sport style LARP. (Be the change you want to see)

I try to take pride in building a decent kit for my monsters, and I've seen some other Amtgarders who I know do the same. I hate being TOLD that we are fighting orcs because they look like everybody else, maybe with a tabard that says 'orc' or a smear of green face paint.

I really enjoy Amtgard and would be willing to answer any questions you might have.
>>
>>9504152
>maybe with a tabard that says 'orc'
Please tell me this an exaggeration for humourous effect and not something that actually happens.
>>
>>9504249
Exaggeration for humorous effect. I have never actually seen a tabard with 'orc' written on it, but I have seen close. One was an event with a really low budget and a lot of volunteers, so I feel more sympathetic on their part.
>>
>>9504249
rest assured, it's something that actually happens. Not everywhere though, but it happens every once in a while
>>
File: DSC04357.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04357.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Meanwhile, I finally got a proper frame for period glasses. Now I just have to find an optician who will put stuff in it without costing an arm and a leg
>>
In hopes it's cool to ask for kit advice and that I won't get dissed too hard because of the character's concept:

I want to play a character who's a fencing master. As in, they'd know all sort of sword styles, and would always pursue more knowledge but will also teach those who ask him to. I want to hang around with multiple swords, even if not in the same time-Rapier and Dagger, Longsword, Katana, Scimitar etc. (Just for the matter and not derailing it to pointless arguements, let's assume I'm a good enough fighter for this.)
Is there any way to design an outfit that won't look weird while using pretty much any sword? I don't mind wether it's armoured or not. But thinking of a full-armoured Knight using a Katana, and a guy in Samurai robes using a Khopesh for the matter would just look weird and I'd like to avoid that.
I'll even go with 'Doesn't look weird with 3+ different styles of swords', if most of them are too hard.

Thanks!
>>
>>9504020
Ah, ok. The larp I go tocurrently also started that way; about 15 people in a mark from what I've been told, and now it gets a decent amount of people weekly.

I'm more looking to run one for my DnD group; they're starting to get bored with tabletop, and an action horror larp would be awesome to run for them. I just have no clue how to begin.
>>
>>9500921
Hey guys, have any of you used nerf weapons in a larp? How'd it go? What were the rules? I'm particularly interested in post apocalyptic larps.

I'm the faggot that's been trolling the last thread with plans for a small scale larp run for my friends. I've got the scenario worked out, but I still need to work out rules and hitpoints.
>>
File: 1481574991673.jpg (77KB, 644x468px) Image search: [Google]
1481574991673.jpg
77KB, 644x468px
>>9504940
My current game (post-apoc fantasy) allows Nerf guns (and Nerf knockoffs like Boomco, subject to inspection). Non-automatic guns--i.e. ones that need to be primed for every shot--are considered trivial, meaning they don't cost any money, can be acquired and replaced freely, and have no special properties; anything with automatic or semi-auto capability has to be bought ingame.

Guns do the same damage in this game as any other weapon: 1 by default, bonus damage via magic buffs or trained combat styles (a sniper could add +1 damage if they're prone with a weapon tripod deployed, or a gunslinger could add +1 damage when quick-drawing, that sort of thing). Guns that cost in-game money can get upgrades allowing them to do things like destroy equipment or push targets back.

For the props themselves, some modification is allowed, but I don't know the details about what's kosher and what's not. The main concern, I think, is the possibility of a dart modded to hit harder striking somebody in the eye. Guns are expected to have their logos removed, and to be painted to look appropriately in-universe (minus the orange tip, of course).

Current game allows any Nerf or similar product, subject to approval, but another game I'm joining limits it Nerf Mega series only. The idea is that the larger darts mean less chance of somebody not feeling a hit because of thick clothing/armor, and smaller gun selection makes them easier to balance. The new game also doesn't use variable damage at all (all hits are 1 damage, period), but that would be getting into their system of damage types which I'm not sure is particularly relevant.
>>
File: 1465236632954.jpg (53KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465236632954.jpg
53KB, 480x720px
>>9504616

I can see this guy waltzing around with pretty much anything. Hardest would be a rapier, but even then.
>>
File: god dammit.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
god dammit.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>only one local LARP advertises as holding a "high standard of costume"
>get excited, roll a character and make boffer weapons for the first time in years.
>make some period-ish clothing
>get on their forums and introduce myself
>find a video of this group...
>pic related is an example of some of their best costumes.

God fucking dammit. I love living in the USA, but our LARP scene is fucking retarded. I have been drooling over Hungarian Larpfag's pictures and footage from Drachenfest, Conquest and Bicolline for years now. I just want to go to a LARP where people actually put effort into their costumes and expect everyone else to do the same. For fuck's sake, the "Orcs" in this group literally just smear their faces bright green.
>>
>>9504984
I've been thinking about the costuming situation in the States, and I think a contributing factor is the general lack of uniformity in our games. Most of the ones I see take the approach of "We want to make our world as broad as possible so that any character concept can fit in." And while that's not necessarily a bad thing, I think it does tend to encourage the mentality that good costuming is a low priority, since anything can be made to fit in. There will also be such a wide variety of costumes that players may have trouble comparing theirs to others even among their "faction," and don't get an idea of what constitutes "better."

By contrast, if you have a game with a more narrow, defined setting--say, something as simple as generic European medieval fantasy--it becomes easier to delineate what is and isn't acceptable. As a result, groups tend to have a more uniform look between them, and people will try harder to make themselves stand out by personalizing their costume in creative ways.

And then of course there's the fact that when PCs can easily organize into aesthetically similar groups, they just look better overall. I dunno, it's late and I'm rambling a bit.
>>
>>9504984
>and Bicolline
Canada isn't that far from Murica. But yeah, what the fuck is that ? Sorry for ya, anon.
>>
>>9504929
well if they doesn't really want to do the fighting you can choose a chamber larp. Just search for chamber larps on google you will probably find a few pre-written scenarios that easy to run.

>>9504940
There is a scifi game here where we use NERF weapons. Rules are basically trust based: you act out your injuries to the best of your knowledge. There are some guidelines like even after a few limb hits you should't be able to fight effectively etc, but it's really your decision depending on how and where you were hit.

>>9504984
Don't judge them too fast. MAybe they were really high at the moment. From drugs.

>>9505053
>and I think a contributing factor is the general lack of uniformity in our games.
There are countries that have less uniformity than the US (don't forget you guys have NERO, ALLIANCE and such which is basically one brand with unified rules and such, very few other countries have that) and still have better costuming standards.
So it's not because of that solely.
But I ranted for several hundred threads about this problem and the tl;dr version is always that it's a complex thing and you can't point at one thing.
Nuke the country and do a fresh start.
>>
>>9504616
I suppose the main question is how they obtained this diverse spread of knowledge?

Are they a noble whose prowess comes from obessive study and imported books? Dress impeccably with maybe some discreet armor like a brigandine and emphasise the theory side of things, and being a good sport.

Or you could be an ex-mercenary who has travelled everywhere and fought everyone with everything. He just picked up all these weapons on his many campaigns and has a innate knack for survival. His kit is a well-worn and heavily patched mish-mash of clothes and armor (fairly light) from all over the known world.

>>9504981
Also works. A kit which is just generically exotic enough to justify exotic swords while still allowing european swords.

On that note, play a foreign fencer then you have the inbuilt excuse that after learning all the swords of your own extremely broad region you came to not-europe to learn their styles too. That fits your personailty of wanting to teach/learn as much as possible, and the kit would be just be a practical pseudo-middle eastern get up. Maybe add some more european elements to show he has been here awhile.
>>
>>9505053
while im not defending that attitude towards costume quality you also have to remember that LARP games are a BUSINESS, with overheads and site rental fees [if using a camp site] to cover - its easy to see that many would be lax on costumes if it meant getting more players [and thus money] to come to your game.
>>
>>9505106
Murica's a big place, driving there would be almost 3000 for me, and two days on the road straight

no idea how flying to it would work, I wouldn't want to put my brigandine in my luggage out of fear of the TSA freaking out. I suppose you could mail it to a friend near Bicolline
>>
File: jewish gladiator.jpg (496KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
jewish gladiator.jpg
496KB, 2448x3264px
>>9505417
*3000 miles
>>
>>9505352
The character is probably going to be a former noble but spent lots of time travelling so I guess 'kinda rich mercenary' outfit would be great, I just need to design one and I'm not sure how to.

Eccentric clothing are cool, I should look more into that. Any cool cultures I should take a look at first?

>>9504981
This is a pretty cool one!
>>
>>9503779
I do agree.
may i suggest velvet instead of leather?

>>9504020
the less people you have in a larp, the more you need to keep them together for the game to not be incredibly boring.

>>9504616
Why not play a collector of antique sword?
you went into these countries and trained just enough to know how to use these fancy swords
Then open your sack full of exotic weapons and invent a story about each one of them.
where did you get it. why did you get it.when did you get it.
For the suit, think about exploration.
Late 1500' could be a good inspiration.
so if you want a katana, play a portuguese who went to japan.

>>9504940
i tried nerf and airsoft post apo and i prefer nerf mainly because i'm not the gun type so i just take calimacil's construction hammer and beat the gunners because nerfs cant hit a thing.
BUT, you can make some really pretty shit with nerf guns.

>>9505128
>Don't judge them too fast. MAybe they were really high at the moment. From drugs.
Drugs and alcool are a big part of larping after 25. these people cannot expect us to be completly sober and do all this.

From experience i know that some groups are more drugs friendly than others.
My group and i we have some rules concerning drugs:
1- Never peer pressure anyone
2- never sell
3- if you are too high to figth, you stay behind.
4- we need our scribe to write the story of our drugged up adventures and make it sound ''Round table-ish''
I once murdered a cheetos bag on lsd because they were ''dangerously cheesy'', It is known as the time i saved our group of valiant knigth from a dangerous cheetah.

>>9505417
Replace your metal part with aluminium if you can.
The price will drop a lot for shipping or if you want to bring it with you on the plane.

>>9505418
Filename.
Also, this pic makes me look like i have an hardon.
Maybe i do...
maybe i do have an hardon for battle.
>>
The legend of Sire Philipe the purple and the broken leg horse.
By Timothé de Montmagn '

Prologue: The Witch

A few years ago.
Sire Philipe the Purple ,Knigth of the realm, defeated a witch who terrorized a hamlet not far away.
The illustrious Knigth having been misled by the people who swore they had seen a mermaid.

When he reached the cave, he was assaulted by a strong smell of incense which was not
Without recalling the lair of the witch Cruella, vendor of corsets of all kinds and a sanctuary
For sorcerers.

Bones of various animals as well as paintings of Merlin Manson, Edgy troubadour who was very
liked by the young witches, Covered the walls.
The fire burned in a brazier in the middle of the room, illuminating the witch's black makeup.
She plunged towards him like a ferocious beast.
Sire Philipe, for whom martial prowess is natural, cut off the weapon of the witch with one blow.

Thus defeated, the witch asked the Knigth if he intended to stuff her with his pious seed.
Sire Philipe refused the request, citing that a witch is not a mythical creature but
Only a chubby girl in corset who likes to wear black.
Moreover, Dame Anikette la capinette, the wisest of the Reliquaires ladies, would never forgive him for soiling himself.
In her last breath she saw the Faithful Destrier upon which the worthy knight had come.
With a demonic sneer, she took off her tricorn to prove that the shit had just became real.

She casted an Hex on the faithful mount of Sire Philippe, Brotmobile.
The horse, which had once been a faithful companion, was now a pale horse with no strength.
The problems were constantly accumulating, the teeth of the steed had become soft and we had to
To feed it with compote chewed directly from our mouth since nobody had yet invented the
Blender.
>>
>>9504981
Is that JB?
>>
File: 1454331569009.gif (2MB, 395x313px) Image search: [Google]
1454331569009.gif
2MB, 395x313px
>want to make a character like Rasputin
>can't grow a real beard
>>
File: 1489946020739.png (956KB, 595x597px) Image search: [Google]
1489946020739.png
956KB, 595x597px
>>9505646
>character looks great with beard
>work in food processing factory, have to clean shave or wear an itchy beard cover
>autistically grow out beard one month prior to larp, and then shave it off as soon as I come home
>do this two times per year

I really hate those beard covers.

I also feel sorry for new coworkers who first meet me during my preparation period, since I suddenly go missing for a week and then come home all weary and beardless.
>>
>>9505128
>the tl;dr version is always that it's a complex thing and you can't point at one thing.
Oh, definitely. I just think it might be a contributing factor, is all. And I'm talking about uniformity of aesthetic moreso than uniformity of rules. For example: I notice a lot of games are very reluctant to tell people they can't play a certain character because that character doesn't fit the setting, so instead they make the setting so broad that it no longer has a distinct aesthetic, so that they might avoid turning people away for costuming in the future.

>>9505413
Of course. And that ties pretty neatly into what I was saying above, it's in a game runner's best interests to make their setting appeal to as many people as possible in order to survive. I get it, I just don't like it.
>>
>>9505592
This is a pretty cool idea. I originally wanted each sword to be intended for different situation (Zweihander when there's a big battle, Rapier for dueling, Messer for self-defence at the tavern etc)

I'll look up explorer outfits or their fashion in general, though!
>>
whats a good way to build a bow or crossbow? or should i just break down and buy on off of epic armory or other distributors?
>>
>>9506124
You could buy a child's practice bow from a sporting goods store and decorate it. Make sure to look at what draw weight limits are in your game.
>>
>>9506124
Strap a small/starter bow onto a wooden frame, add a trigger mechanism.
>>
>>9503469
An update: The group DID in fact exist, and I got to meet them. I played a few ditch battles with them, and caught 2 heavy shots in the nose. Apparently I need to not crouch down to hit someone low. Overall, I had fun and hope to join them again next weekend.

They've got plenty of extra weapons, but at what point should I start bringing my own? And "proper attire", for that matter?
>>
>>9508113
Yeah, I used to do the same crouching thing. Most Amtgarders aim for shoulders (since headshots aren't a thing) which leads to easy accidental headshots when you crouch. You might suggest that they work on their shot control, as that is still their fault.

Work with your local Regent or anyone else into crafting to build up a few weapons. I suggest two shorts, a dagger, and maybe a great (polearm) to start. Adding one round medium shield will prepare you for just about anything. Most parks would like you to be self sufficient around the one month mark. (I very strongly suggest that you go with a single short sword for a while. Everything you do later will be built on the fundamentals of foot work and sword control that you can build up with single short.)

For proper attire, you can read up on the bajillion resources you have on the internet (like this thread). You can build your own garb or you can always purchase. I personally like crafting up new outfits, but that is up to you. Once again, aim to have some beginning garb by the end of your first month. Nobody expects you to have an amazing kit this early, but it would be nice to see that you are willing to put in some effort.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with the products from ringmesh.com? An acquaintance recommended them to me, but I'd appreciate any second opinions.
>>
File: Coolus D.png (103KB, 377x377px) Image search: [Google]
Coolus D.png
103KB, 377x377px
filled with sadness that my helmet crest doesn't fit on my new helmet
>>
>>9509199
Weld it.
>>
File: 1394386633514.jpg (792KB, 1368x2526px) Image search: [Google]
1394386633514.jpg
792KB, 1368x2526px
>>9509332
Wouldn't help, the crest isn't wide enough to reach the crest mount the edges just tap against the helmet bowl.
>>
Meanwhile, heads up for the european larpfags: At the end of October there will be an Elder Scrolls larp in Croatia. Lodging is in a castle, ticket covers 5 meals food, etc.
I went to two of their previous larps and they are pretty much approved guys.

The trick is that there are a limited amount of tickets and the sign up period ends in June 15.

the know moar options is here:
https://tesciv.wordpress.com/
>>
>>9508945
Super light, exceptionally strong. Basically the highest quality of chain that exists from a pure performance standpoint.

Wouldn't recommended for larp though. It doesn't look very historical, you don't need the extra strength, and you won't be able to fix any rings that break.

Better to get the cheapest butted maille you can find. It should be light enough and look alright, and you can use pliers to take rings off the bottom to replace any that fall out.
>>
>>9510112
Thanks!
>>
>>9510138
Smaller links look better, but cost more money. A lot of shirts use 8mm rings which is pretty good, though the cheapest tend to be 10mm. Personally I think 10mm rings look way too loose but I am biased.
>>
File: 1459938803413.jpg (75KB, 736x892px) Image search: [Google]
1459938803413.jpg
75KB, 736x892px
>tfw attracted to both historical simple mercenary aesthetics, rocking the gambeson+kettle look and the whole fantasy borderline snowflakey stuff of katanas, DS-tier weapons and not-historical armours/outfits like pic related
>>
>>9510718
in larps, you either go realistoc or over the top, anything in between would look meh, its like the uncanny valley mate.
>>
I need a new gambeson for SCA work and our local seamstress quit due to arthritis, what companies are reliable for good gambesons with arming points?
>>
>>9510866
that's what US people actually believ
>>
>>9509822
Will there be Lusty Argonian Maids?
>>
>>9510112
>won't be able to fix any rings that break.

How so?
>>
>>9510961
can't confirm nor deny it as it will have pre written characters (to some degree)
But there were aragonians in the previous games
>>
>>9510961

There might be. Depends on the number of applied players.
>>
>>9510962
Rings are welded so you cant just take one off the bottom to replace a broken one with it. You need spare rings and your own tools for welding, compared to a pair of pliers that you normally just need for butted mail.
>>
File: serveimage[1].jpg (218KB, 1000x656px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage[1].jpg
218KB, 1000x656px
>>9511149
Assuming that I have the equipment and skills for welding stainless steel though, I'm good?

And how badly is the historically inaccurate part? Is it butchers chain glove inaccurate? Is it the ring size? The pattern? I'd like to know since I'm a sucker for it being stainless and so light.
>>
>>9511967
>And how badly is the historically inaccurate part? Is it butchers chain glove inaccurate? Is it the ring size? The pattern?
in that order and more
>>
>>9511967
Just buy riveted aluminum chain mail then.
>>
File: stab.png (5KB, 467x172px) Image search: [Google]
stab.png
5KB, 467x172px
>>9512516
>riveted aluminium
>>
>>9511967
Making new rings would be the hard part, but if you can do that the I guess you're good. It would still be a difficult task to replace a ring, but you won't have to do it very often.

The only historically accurate maille basically is either riveted or alternating riveted and punched ring. The only historically accurate material is mild steel. If your chain isn't these things then you might as well go ringmesh.

Historical accuracy isn't important to that extent at larp anyway. I haven't seen another riveted steel hauberk on anyone in the entire state.
>>
>>9512516
>Just buy riveted aluminum
Whoa now, I'm a bard, not a fag.
>>
File: sellsword_set_small.jpg (15KB, 211x350px) Image search: [Google]
sellsword_set_small.jpg
15KB, 211x350px
>>9504981
Anyone knows the name of the guy's/pic related's headgear?
>>
>>9513127
The helmet could be any dome shaped helmet (for ants)without a nasal, the cloth is probably some interpretation of a keffiyeh wrapped around it.
>>
>>9513127
Tagelmust
>>
>>9512782
don't forget that flat rings are the authentic ones too, so the circle crossection links aren't.

And I would wager there aren't many authentic chainmail in the states even among reenactors
>>
>>9512782
Do you or anyone else for that matter happen to have better pictures than the ones on site? I'd love to see one in a LARP kit if at all possible.
>>
>>9513179
Let's not go overboard, riveted is leagues better than butted mail but to call it authentic is a stretch except by comparison. It's not just little niggling details but there are some pretty major errors that impact on the look and feel of the mail that are immediately apparent when you compare it to original examples.

The American reenactors I know all say that the US is significantly behind Europe in adopting riveted although it probably varies hugely by group/region. It seems a little odd since the US also seems to have a lively community of high-end smiths making plate, so clearly there is a demand for quality armour that just doesn't extend to mail as much.
>>
>>9510112
>>9510138
uhm no. Don't listen to this retarded fuck.

go to Allbeststuff, or somewhere similar and buy yourself Alternating washers and Riveted rings. Don't fucking buy butted. It looks aweful, breaks super easy, and destroys a good kit.
>>
>>9513469
Mail takes a very very long time to make, And butted is retarded. Easier for smiths to make plate than it is to waste time making riveted maille people will just buy from Indians or Pakis for dollars on the dime.
>>
>>9510112
>>9513826
Let's not kid ourselves about butted mail here. It's a cheap, middling-quality alternative that's not historically accurate and won't stand up to heavy-contact combat. It is not, however, literal garbage or an automatic "your kit is shit" button. It'll hold up just fine in 99% of larp combat. If your larp is a) not historical and b) not live steel/SCA level combat, then butted mail is probably an acceptable alternative for the player on a budget.

Also worth mentioning: all the American armorers make their mail in those shitty one-size-fits-all designs anyway, so butted mail has the (admittedly dubious) advantage of being easier to modify.

tl;dr can we admit that mediocre armor is just mediocre, and not actual garbage, please?
>>
>>9514057
>tl;dr can we admit that mediocre armor is just mediocre, and not actual garbage, please?
nah, shitheads will always go for "muh realism" when we are actually playing pretend.
I mean yeah, one should have standards but we are larping not reenacting.
I will point out if something isn't authentic IF someone wants to go the authentic way, but fantasy and cheap methods are also fine for larping, especially when half the reenactors in the world couldn't be arsed with riveted mail.
>>
>>9513826
As the other guy said, this is LARP, not reenactment. going riveted/alternating and is mostly a waste of money and extra weight that you won't be able to wear all day.

I'd rather wear my SCA plates than spend all day in a riveted shirt.
>>
>>9515073
I will say, as the poster of >>9514057, that I don't think getting riveted or alternating mail is a waste of money; if you can afford it, I recommend getting it over butted in most cases. It's more like shelling out extra for a Calimacil or Goldhammer weapon in a primarily boffer game. It'll look bitchin' and, overall, is good for the hobby if more people do it because it brings costume standards up, but it's certainly not necessary.
>>
>>9515118
I agree, and I'll add that I really don't think that there is any significant weight difference on average. I've worn riveted shirts all day without major issue and if you can handle butted then there should be no issue.

There is a real difference in price, but both are getting cheaper all the time. The gap in price is narrowing and a set of riveted today costs less in real terms than butted did twenty years ago which is a positive trend. This also means that butted is far more affordable which is good as it gets more people in armour.
>>
>>9515118
I don't buy into the 'raising the bar' argument. Costuming standards are dependent on the organisers, not what players wear.

No matter how nice alternating riveted looks, I'm yet to see a game where you wouldn't get more points with a fraction of the weight by taping a slab of foam or aluminium to yourself.

It's like if the calimacil/goldhammer weapon weighed thrice as much as the boffers but only did half the damage on hit.
>>
>>9515356
>No matter how nice alternating riveted looks, I'm yet to see a game where you wouldn't get more points with a fraction of the weight by taping a slab of foam or aluminium to yourself.
that's only because you seen shit systems so far
>>
>>9515356
>winning at LARP
No.

Also, costuming standards in the basis are for the organisers. After that first little step though it's all up to the players and how they enforce it.

When I see somebody wearing a great costume, and mine is terrible, I feel bad about that. Most people have that, so when a lot of players are wearing good costumes and you're sticking out like a sore thumb with your modern fabrics and shitty ninja-costume then you'll be inclined to up your game. More so if people in your own group are upping their game.
>>
File: PICT0002.jpg (1MB, 2736x1824px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0002.jpg
1MB, 2736x1824px
good news: my film scanner has arrived and i can start scanning my photos of the LARP event the Gathering from way -WAY- back in 1993.

the bad news: out of all the surviving pic on the negatives, and despite being keep away from light, they are 24 years old and were made at the time using a disposable camera so..well pic related
>>
File: PICT0001.jpg (756KB, 2736x1824px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0001.jpg
756KB, 2736x1824px
I had started larping about 1990, having attended a local university larp group who had attended the predecessor of the gathering, summerfest [run by another group and run more like a convention, with different areas hosting different larp games]. At the time i had come along on its second event at the then orignal venue of Drum hill scout camp in Derbyshire [a few years later, when the numbers got larger, the organisers the lorien trust moved the event to the estate of Locko park, where it has run ever since]. fortunatly i knew one of the organisers, who was also a ref at the uni game, so i at least didnt feel too on my own.
>>
File: PICT0011.jpg (1MB, 3888x2588px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0011.jpg
1MB, 3888x2588px
>>
File: PICT0007.jpg (875KB, 2736x1824px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0007.jpg
875KB, 2736x1824px
[even i the 90's we weren't immune to the "sod costume" player.
>>
File: PICT0008.jpg (1MB, 3888x2588px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0008.jpg
1MB, 3888x2588px
>>
right somethings come up so ill have to finish this another time - soss folks
>>
>>9515707
well, except when you live in the US and the organizers ban good gear so the others won't feel bad about their shitty gear

>>9515752
We will wait for you, and your pictures
>>
in the meantime, I got a few more pics from the already mentioned fallout larp
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Anyone got a comprehensive guide/tutorial on how to make purity seals?
>>
>>9516007
theres this one from instructables
>www.instructables.com/id/40k-Awesome-Purity-Seal/
and hees this YT tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxXmxujg8yM
do any of them help?
>>
File: PICT0009.jpg (1MB, 3888x2588px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0009.jpg
1MB, 3888x2588px
also im back -on with the Gathering piccies
unfortunately my memory is rather wooly about the events of that gathering [again 24 years ago]so for now ill put the piccies up and if i can answer questions about them later.
>>
File: PICT0010.jpg (1MB, 3888x2588px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0010.jpg
1MB, 3888x2588px
Ahh now this i can talk about.
This was the stand for a then initiative called the Adventurers guild - a sort of central hub for news events - they even had a newsletter called the adventurer. however by the mid to late nineties membership fell and while they did carry on for a while as a supplier [of all things] insurance for larpers they eventually folded - i still have most of their adventurer magazines stored away somewhere, i must dig them out sometime...
>>
File: PICT0012.jpg (1MB, 3888x2588px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0012.jpg
1MB, 3888x2588px
>>
File: PICT0013.jpg (1MB, 3888x2588px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0013.jpg
1MB, 3888x2588px
totally taking apiic of the surrounding camping area
totally not taking sly pics of the girls at the side
>>
File: PICT0016.jpg (1MB, 3888x2588px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0016.jpg
1MB, 3888x2588px
>>
File: PICT0019.jpg (2MB, 3888x2588px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0019.jpg
2MB, 3888x2588px
Reminder that back then we had to make our won kit as ready made kit and armour was still expensive back then - thus the need for traders selling cloth and accessories.
consider this - back then a lot of people were still using gaffa tape and foam weapons [same as you guys in the US us] - injection moulded weapons were not only brand new but Hideously expensive to produce, and thus expensive - these were the status symbols of their time [at least until the process became cheaper].
>>
File: PICT0020.jpg (1MB, 3474x2587px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0020.jpg
1MB, 3474x2587px
Mulberries gang.
a random fae like creature [elf maybe] had a party in the nearby woods, which everyone [regardless of faction] joined in.
at one point Mullberry [ the girl in the left of this pic declared herself the head of the Mullberrys gang faction [obviously not seriously] -however a nearby ref heard this and was seen running off shouting into his radio declaring we were creating a new faction. - much lols insused

their battlecry? "PUPPIES AND PONIES FOREVER!!"
huh, i wonder what shes doing now?
>>
File: PICT0021.jpg (2MB, 3554x2587px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0021.jpg
2MB, 3554x2587px
SCA Demonstration
Now back story - i had been involved in Some dark ages reenacment which, along with stance and defence/attack drills, was these key world -PULL YOUR BLOWS!
so here are these SCA players doing their thing [hitting the snot out of each other] and then they ask for a volunteer. naturally i do so.
the guy [ the red armoured guy on the right maybe] asks me to hit his arm - as hard as i can.
"What?"
"yeah as hard as i can"
oookkeyy - so at first my safety training kicked in and i only hit him hard enough [or so i though] for him to register it
"come on - hit harder"
welp - there are witnesses to him saying that so...
>Weapon safety - DISENGAGED
i wale into him full force - hitting him hard enough that, had it been anywhere else i would have been banned, bollocked or possibly arrested - and what did he say?
"is that it? - hit harder"
>>
File: PICT0022.jpg (1MB, 3888x2588px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0022.jpg
1MB, 3888x2588px
>>
File: PICT0025.jpg (41KB, 655x260px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0025.jpg
41KB, 655x260px
this one ill admit isn't my own as my camera ran out of film before the this.
this is the traditional final battle that takes place on the Monday of the event [the gathering always taking place on the second august bank holiday,and for some marks the end of most larping for the year, with some smaller event taking place later on].
>>
and thats it - the rest are of either iffy quality or not of much interest to you guys.
if i do any more i the future i might just stick with doing what i did here - put up photos and occasionally add comments to elaborate on them, or maybe add an anecdote if my memory hold out.
>>
>>9516069
Those guys look like they came straight out of some pen and paper rpg book cover.
>>
>>9516137
i believe a number of people who larped also did reenactment, or at least had access to reenactment equipment - thus the general better quality of kit.
>>
>>9515786
I feel like this whole "US organizers ban good costumes" thing gets a little overplayed. It's, like, one or two shitty organizers who have done it; the vast majority of games here don't.

I'm pretty sure you don't actually think that, I just want to make sure nobody else gets the wrong idea.
>>
File: 2017-06-09 20.32.31.jpg (422KB, 1036x700px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-09 20.32.31.jpg
422KB, 1036x700px
>>9515714
>>9515731
>>9515734
>>9515736
>>9515740
This is history.
i'll try to find some early 2000' ones soon.

>>9515900
Look at that evil grin.
are airsoft post apo larp common in europe?

Also, this is my first handmade armor piece.
B-b-be gentle anoni-san... ^_^
>>
>>9516452
>Look at that evil grin.
well, _I_ knew what is in the can

>are airsoft post apo larp common in europe?
Happens. lots of smaller ones which aren't really promoting themselves outside of the airsoft community so fuck knows how many are there. Every once in a while there is a bigger one.
This one was shit from a larp viewpoint, which is a shame because the previous shots of this game were good.
Then again, the aisroft guys really enjoyed it so I might getting old.
>>
>>9515915

thats a cool suit.
>>
>>9516437
it's still fun to poke at them every once in a while.
And let' be honest, the costuming standard in the US is very bad generally.

>>9516132
when did the first latex weapons appeared there?
>>
>>9516670
about the early 90's IIRC but they were still relatively uncommon due to cost - many people were still using gaffa tape and foam over a Fibre glass core. Eventually though latex weapons got cheaper to make and buy and soon became the norm.
>>
>>9516635
I know of at least one here called Wasteland UK: https://www.unexpectedevents.co.uk/WastelandUK.aspx
>>
>>9516670
Haha, true.
And no argument there. My game has the best costuming quality I've personally seen in US fantasy larps, but it's still not even as good as the ones the other anon is posting from 25 years ago. It's pretty sad.
>>
>>9516635
>Getting old
Aren't you like 24 or something?
How old are airsofteers in Hungary?
>>
>>9518276
older then me, although I have two lifetime of cynism.
And I'm 29
>>
>>9518314
I see your 29 and raise you 13
>can remember DnD still being owned by TSR
>>
Where can you buy gladiator gear for larping in europe?
>>
>>9516069
>>9516080
>>9516085
>>9516087
>>9516093
>>9516102
>>9516112
>>9516122
>>9516126
>>9516130
Those old pictures look so damn comfy.

Reminds me of looking at older pictures of the SCA here in the USA from the 70s,80s,90s... Looks more fun like people didn't really know what they were doing but they were trying, all sorts of goofy shit and admirable efforts at a pseudo medieval festival.
Now a days it seems like you either have older folks with a fuck ton of money with expensive period accurate stuff, and everyone else who doesn't even bother to try, like if they can't get it perfect might as well go full on mundane/casual and not even make the slightest effort towards a medieval ambience.
It feels as though somewhere along the way the spirit of the thing has been lost.
>>
Fantasy footwear that ISN'T from Sandlar?
>>
>>9519398
>Now a days it seems like you either have older folks with a fuck ton of money with expensive period accurate stuff, and everyone else who doesn't even bother to try, like if they can't get it perfect might as well go full on mundane/casual and not even make the slightest effort towards a medieval ambience.

I have seen a lot of larp events in the UK that have started to impose a basic level of costume for each faction/nation [Curious Pastimes Empire has a guide to costume type depending on the nation, with certain items not appropriate to that nation - Dawn and the marches are meant to portray high fantasy medieval and grim and dirty medieval era repectively.

The most well known for whats become known "costume nazism" Is Dumnonni Chronicles, a Devonshire based larp who run a Celtic / dark ages era setting and while it does live up to its reputatuon for quality [with its own dedicated village site, hand built by players and staff] the demands for near reenactment quality costumes, and the small number of spots available for each event - their biggest event, outlaw, only having 80 player spots - and that does tend to give them a reputation for eliteism.
however that demand for quality does result in
some incredible work that many more bigger events would struggle to do - hell look at some of the pictures from their past events here
>http://dumnonni.com/albums/
>>
I got myself some leg wraps which are just long (about 3 meters I think) featureless strips of cloth. Does anyone have a guide or advice on putting them on? Just unrolling them around my leg two layers thick and tucking the top in seems to keep them on reasonably well but I'd like to know if there's a real nice looking or cool dude way of doing it.
>>
>>9519692
Give this a try.

So tomorrow, I'll be travelling down to Empire. Looking to be a scorcher of a weekend, I'll try to get some pics before time in occurs.
>>
>>9519726
I saw on FB that PD have over 120 first time players booked for this event and I'm worried it's going to have a bit of a "4chan during school holidays" effect on the game, especially if a load more show up for on the gate tickets
>>
>>9519409
http://www.soulpathshoes.com/
Gonna order one from them when I've saved up enough.
>>
>>9519248
http://www.celticwebmerchant.com/en/helmets-armour-chainmail-and-gambesons/helmets/gladiator-helmets/

http://www.celticwebmerchant.com/en/helmets-armour-chainmail-and-gambesons/plate-armour/roman-greek-plate-armour/

This is a Netherlands based company, anon. Enjoy.
>>
>>9520508
and if im looking for a metal manica?
>>
>>9520748
Can't help you there, mate. I believe they used to have one, but no longer, it seems.
>>
>>9520752
aye so it seems.
any other european sites? i leave right outside the EU and buying local isnt much of an option.
>>
>>9520753
Can't think of any right now, sorry man. I'll check if I've got some business cards lying around at home. Most of those merchants are in Eastern Europe, but I've never seen much in the ways of antiquity items from them.
>>
Any of you know anything about tents or pavilions?

I'm of half a mind to try my hand at making one, possibly even sewing by hand (cause why the fuck not? Not like I've got anything better to do with my time lol.)

But anyway is fabric like sun forger that's been treated necessary, or is moderately heavy canvas enough? Like numbered duck fabrics (the double fill ones)?

And what of linen (or hemp since I hear it's even tougher but I love the look of natural linen more). I've seen the beautiful tents at tantrum.pl and it sounds like they use 20oz or so linen, is such weight necessary? I can't seem to find any good heavy linen readily available, but I can get ~10oz linen canvas moderately inexpensively, but I worry it's not woven tight enough to be weather resistant. There's also an 8oz linen that's quite high thread count (like 60x60 rather than 35x25), but it's about double my price range lol.
>>
>>9520808
Also not sure what type of tent or pavilion to go for.

Round pavilions are beautiful but a lot of work with all those converging seams, plus to fit large rectangular objects like a bed require pretty large sizes.

Roman style wall tents would work, but they don't really capture my imagination so much since that style is so prevalent even today.

Square pavilions? I've heard they're not period but they look okay and would fit plenty of stuff easily.

Wedge tents... I originally though of something like a geteld, efficient use of fabric, small size, hopefully at least a bit of space where I can stand up and it should easily fit a bed.

Or there are conical tents... Though that combines the negatives of the round pavilion and the wedge tent with none of the benefits lol. Or something like a Sibly but without the raised door, essentially a conical with short walls added... Maybe go for a sort of pseudo-roundhouse. Depending on the size if I used fire retardant fabric and made it large enough, would be interesting to use like a tripod interior pole design and have an opening at the center top and keep a small fire pit inside... Maybe even paint the wall to look like stone and the roof like thatching? Or at least different colored canvas to represent such.

Too many damn decisions lol.

Oh yeah I suppose I'd be aiming for sort of early medieval Irish, say 600-1000AD or so, but being that I'm in the SCA and there really are no actual standards for anything I guess it doesn't exactly matter, also would like the tent to do double duty for camping at renaissance faires, so something that would fit in there would be a bonus, but not really a requirement since anything is better than camping in a tiny backpacking tent as I am now.
>>
>>9520808
>it sounds like they use 20oz or so linen, is such weight necessary?
Stretch the fabric, that you want to use, out correctly like it would be when a tent is set up and then start pouring water on it for half an hour.
You will find your answer.
A relatively smaller piece is enough for this.
OBVIOUSLY waxing, oiling and whatever other methods there are to make it water resistant helps, but it's better if it can handle the stuff without it
>>
>>9520823
Yeah I'd rather not have to mess with sealants or other treatments, I want the tent to still be breathable since while rain isn't uncommon, it's also fucking hot around here. I'd hope the linen when washed and shrinks would tighten up... I guess I'll just have to order a yard each of the different fabrics I'm considering and test it as you say.
>>
>>9500921
Two days ago, I ordered a second-hand helmet from an online store. Today, I got a mail back that the visor broke and they don't have any other ones. I'm sad.
>>
>>9521259
Thats a shame, helmets are very personal items and its hard to get what you want some times.

What type was it?
>>
>>9521259
>the visor broke
... how?
>>
>>9520037
Yeah, there's been a lot of posts on the various FB boards and Empire basically saying "New to larp, wat do??" Mostly because some minor YouTube "celebrity" did a video about going to Empire.
>>
>>9521302
>>9521303
It was an old firefighter's helmet, so the visor was plastic (I think).
>>
>>9521310
ahh, I though it was a metal helmet
>>
Alright, so, shitty request and I hate to clutter up this thread but I am at my wits fucking end here. I just started LARPing recently in Dystopia Rising and I'm having a blast, it's fucking awesome and I want to learn more about the world. However, I cannot for the life of me however find any (free) pdfs of the expanded world building books like "Pillars of Dead Light" and so on. I've been scouring all of 4chan, suptg, google, etc to no avail. Can anyone help?
>>
>>9504940

Has worked out fine in my LARP, even if the rules kind of screw with gun users. Guns do (roughly) the same damage as melee weapons, but have access to unique ammunition and skills to augment them.

If you're making a small-scale LARP, best choice is to probably make rules giving guns a unique niche compared to melee other than range. E.g. maybe they ignore armor or do extra damage or whatever.
>>
>>9521695
seriously there is no free digital version of the sourcebook that creates the basis of the larp?
US larpers never cases to amaze me in a bad way
>>
>>9521988

No, the basic rules/setting shit are all free in the Survivor's Guide 2.0. You get everything you need to play and make a character in there and basic world building stuff. But there's SHIT TONS of world building you can only get in the like, $15 sourcebooks, and there's 9 of them or something.
>>
>>9521995
so you get 1/10 of the setting and you say it's totally fine. that you have to pay for the other 9/10?
We are talking about the motherfucking setting of the larp you go to play and you even pay an entrance fee which should cover the costs of such things.
>>
File: ShekelsAhoy.gif (541KB, 427x240px) Image search: [Google]
ShekelsAhoy.gif
541KB, 427x240px
>>9521995
>>9521998
To an extent I might get it, if this was a tabletop (espescially a normie catered one like DnD) but for a LARP I think this is outrageous. The entry prices better be free if they want to Jew this much money out of you. For a LARP, where it's all about letting your creativity run wild and letting it out in whatever way you can (from IC brewing, to weaving, to making weapons and costumes) I feel that this just feels like too big a cash grab.

Speaking of brewing for LARP, rate my test-bottle.
>>
File: IMG_20170615_153544.jpg (442KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170615_153544.jpg
442KB, 1200x1600px
>>9522199
>>
US based: went to my first (real) larp last weekend and had a pretty good time.

I'll admit i had low expectations but i was surprised at the quality of some of the costumes. even some of the fellow new people were in some high quality chain and nice looking prostheses (high fantasy elves)

wasn't a huge fan of the combat but the plot was well done and even my actions felt like they had an impact (I accidentally fucked a lot of people over and that still hasn't been resolved)

I'm deffinatly going back. and next time I'll spend more than 2 hours on my costume
>>
>>9522199

Yea the guy who created/runs/owns the LARP is kind of douche-y in a lot of ways (he apparently doesn't like economic LARPs and then made... an economic LARP). There's a set of rules for the tabletop version which i smaybe where the books are but eh... I'd really like to know more about the world but that $70 has to go towards my actual registration fee. Even the giant /tg/ pdf thread has so far been a wash.
>>
File: IUsedToBeASinnerLikeyou.jpg (787KB, 1577x1363px) Image search: [Google]
IUsedToBeASinnerLikeyou.jpg
787KB, 1577x1363px
Hey guys, near the end of the month I've finally got my event coming up and I was hoping y'all could help me out with some tips on my kit. There's still a few more little things I'm going to add, like re-painting the helmet into the right colours and tile it, and add a lot of stuff to my belt like some extra bags and a prayer cloth and beads.

It's also going to get a good dirt wash, although I'm scared of ruining it with tea. Would just filling a spritzer with muddy water and some dashes of (fake)blood do the trick as well?

>>9522438
Good to hear bro, most important is to set a goal to aquire a good basic set to run on. No need for a lot of unnecessary fantasy armour or what-not if you don't have the basis of a good kit under it.

Was it with in-character sleeping as well?

>>9522452
>he apparently doesn't like economic LARPs
>makes an economic LARP
This guy sounds a lot like some random grognard DM.

>there's a set of rules for the tabletop
W-wha..? Is this guy just running his homebrew extravaganza and somehow let it run into a LARP? What is this shitfest and why am I not in it to witness the glory yet!?

For once I'm jealous of American LARPers, I kind of want to delve into this and find out all about.
Anyway, so if /tg/ is no help have you just tried socializing? I mean if it's a big enough LARP I'mn sure some player groups will just have the full shared documents on their FB page. I know if I'd ever buy it I'd just do it as a group and throw it into our private conversations.
>>
>>9522503
>Was it with in-character sleeping as well?

yeah it was actually terrifying. I was in a cabin alone on a full moon. I ended up sleeping on the porch of the mages guild because they had a ward.

I love costuming but I looked pretty bad this time around because i didn't want to spend a hundred dollars and 10+ hours in case i ended up hating it
>>
>>9522503
>W-wha..? Is this guy just running his homebrew extravaganza and somehow let it run into a LARP? What is this shitfest and why am I not in it to witness the glory yet!?

He's one of those guys that's apparently pretty chill in a lot of aspects, but has a number of stances that can cause... friction in certain areas.

The game itself is actually apparently his 'cocaine and hookers' LARP after he and friends got banned from another LARP according to some of the older players I've spoken to. The shame of it all is that it's a lot of fucking fun and I really enjoy the post-apocalyptic body horror shit and strong focus on economy so even non-combat characters are critical to a settlement doing well. Like, your town is going to get fucking shat on if you don't have cooker/farmers/distillers/engineers (or Diesel Jocks but I digress). Those four professions make the game run, and combat characters would be fucked without them. It's just that he holds onto running and developing it with an iron fist so the game is vulnerable to his personal whims/outlooks.

Despite those flaws those it's a pretty great rough cut gem of a game, and the national events are always really interesting especially with the recent changes they've made.

>>9522438

Glad you had a good time anon!
>>
File: gills.jpg (91KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
gills.jpg
91KB, 720x960px
So I'm an 'Islander' (human with gills) I'm not sure i wanna go full prosthetic hows this look for a simple, easy to touch up makeup?

also recomendations for a clear coat?
>>
>>9522509
Completely understandable mate, sweet deal that you actually have cabins and the likes to sleep in. Was going to mention how much of a bitch setting up an in-game encampment can be, both for experienced and beginning players. Because by God it's a whole lot of stuff you're going to have to take along.

What kinda outfit you going for next time? What kind of faction you playing in? And have you accepted our Lord and Savior "The Medieval Tailor's Assistant" into your heart and hearth yet?
>>9522511
You guys have national events? Damn, sounds pretty sweet! And a system that has a big focus on normal citizens and their purpose usually is a 10/10 in my book. Our own LARP is now introducing the feeling of a post-apocalyptic LARP by putting extra effort on food. If you don't use an in-game aquired food-token you lose 1/3rd of your max HP and MP rounded down because you're winded.

More so, you can spend food tokens to aquire 1 extra experience point because you have to worry less about the struggles of finding food, and can focus on having a real life and studying/learning.

It's some cool shit which turns your shitty peasants into a hard fought necessity.
>>
>>9522519

Yea the strong economy focus is awesome, means being a horrific murder machine isn't all the game is about, strong econ/RP characters can be just as viable (if not necessarily as straight forward).

There's two national events a year and they're always huge with lots of special events and stuff. Normally you have skills called 'check in skills' that give you some advantage when you show up e.g. animal handling lets you get animal products at check in to represent what you were doing between games. But you can only use them at your home game. Since nat'l events are no one's home game (they never take place at an established settlement), they've recently started adding in in-game modules that let you participate in special events and such depending on your check-in skills.

So for example, people with Income get access to special merchants with very valuable (or national only) goods and information, the Black Market will have EXCEPTIONALLY rare, unusual, and dangerous items, and so on. They're even doing caravan drives where you have to actually haul a physrep loaded with goods to a location in exchange for rewards. All while being attacked by zombies and shit, of course. For all the flaws it's a pretty great game. There was going to be a Europe branch until the Obama administration changed some rules on international licensing that made it too costly for them to do.

>More so, you can spend food tokens to aquire 1 extra experience point because you have to worry less about the struggles of finding food, and can focus on having a real life and studying/learning.

Oh is this Twin Masks? some of my DR friends were talking about a system that worked really similarly to that. I think I'll cry if I ever have to play a LARP where it's like, 99% combat oriented with maybe a potion maker or whatever thrown in.
>>
>>9522519

I spent most of the event running around with each group for a bit except for the druids and the necromancers. I'm trying to have a lot of friends and few allegiances since my character was raised in a socialist society. though I'll probably gravitate to the mages guild eventually if I don't start an entertainers group.

no idea what the tailors assistant is

i'm going for a pacific type outfit. armor restrictions are based on class and I max out with a scale cuirass so I'm focusing on making that right now and cleaning up the unhemmed edges of my last costume. unfortunately I don't have any pics of my first event.
>>
>>9522526
>untill Obummer
Rip, I was getting kinda hyped for this. Not enough his economy games out there.

It's not Twin Masks though, it's a Dutch Event called "Terra X" it's medieval post-apoc. It's some good shit.
>>9522528
>making a scale cuirass for your first kit
That's some nice try-hard bro, if you'll manage I'll be very impressed. And the MTA is a book with all the instructions you need to make any basic kit and do some of your basic research into becoming as effay as a Medieval Nick Owens /fa/ggot.

http://www.strony.toya.net.pl/~kuswir/MTA.pdf
>>
>>9522540

thanks for the warning. cuirass might have been the wrong word. i use it as a catchall for torso armor sometimes. also it's just got to look right for this system. it's kind of light contact so i'm not going to try to make real scale mail

i wish it required realistic armor but its the only larp for over 700 miles so...
>>
>>9522540

Yea it fucking sucks. They were planning at least a branch in both Europe and Australia, which both would have had their own unique strains (races) and shit, would have been awesome. Oh well maybe if it gets big enough in the US they'll revisit the idea. It's of course got a big fat rulebook, if you want to look at the rules/setting/character creation and shit, the Survivor's Guide 2.0 is free off of Drive Thru RPG.
>>
>>9522549
Ah yeah, I feel you. Esp. when you aren't forced to go all the way it's easy to take the gameist advantages. But as a player who's slowly growing out of the beginner stage, just making a basic kit with little to no-armour. Or just a gambeson can be so much prettier, immersive, and above all mood-making than any home-made scale mail (unless you got some wicked lamellar skills).

If you want to throw this advice away, be my guest, but please just check out that book and make some hosen and a cotehardie or the likes, throw a big gambeson and kettle helmet on top of it and most of the LARP thread will love you. (Kettle helmets are not a meme, they are best helmet.)
>>9522551
I might just check it out, thanks mate! And any luck on the freeLC front yet?
>>
>>9522552

i will check out the book. thanks for the help. I'll stick around the threads no for sure
>>
>>9522552

Nah, nothing yet. I was sort of expecting this, the game is popular but not enough people in the normal pdf channels seem to play it for those books to have found their way online. I guess at this point I have to track down physical copies I can borrow/read between events.
>>
>>9522555
Judging by the "only LARP in 700 miles" I'm guessing you don't have a mate living around the corner who just has the phys copies at home?
>>
>>9522555

Oh not that's a different anon. I live in Southern California we have shit tons of LARPs here. Our local DR branch draws like 200+ players each event.
>>
>>9522556

different person i'm the 700 mile guy. in norther SC
>>
>>9504940
I play a sci-fu setting with heavy (modded) NERF gun use. Since a couple of events ago bullets do 2 damage as opposed to 1 per melee hit. Most people don't really mind, since they were using guns anyway, but to me it feels kinda like you are forced to shoot and put skillpoints into ballistics if you want to join in on the battle. Also it feels silly that 1 bullet is enough to break light armor.

We have a separate skilltree for ballistics, just like we do for melee. With our ruleset level 1 through 5 in melee specify the maximum length of the weapon you are allowed to use (from throwing knife to polearm) and give you a few cool tricks, whereas upwards of 5 are cool specialisations. The ballistics skilltree specifies within the first 5 levels your maximum magazine size (leveln1 being a NERF Jolt and 5 being a 50-something drum mag). From level 3 and upwards you can shoot semi-automatic and you can go battery-powered starting at level 5 I think. Cool trick is that you can shoot a drum mag before level 5 if someone with level 5 loads it for you.

So while I feel our skilltrees for melee and ballistics are balanced, I don't like the damage difference.
(Oh, we work with an HP pool instead of hitpoint, which is way easier in my opinion).

Also, modded hammershots are love.
>>
File: 20170617_001110.jpg (828KB, 866x1168px) Image search: [Google]
20170617_001110.jpg
828KB, 866x1168px
Greeting from the Israel.
Tactical knight aesthtic works.
I just need a helmet that fits my big fat head.

This was a swordcraft style larp (small groups fulfil objectives or outright duke it out) perfect to try out this look.
Maybe next time we will be a bigger group too!
(We were 3 one got cropped because he didnt agree to getting posted.)
>>
>>9522600
That tactical vest blends in well with that gear for some reason.

Usually shit like that stands out but I didn't notice until I read "tactical knight".
>>
>>9515714
>>nothing has changed in 24 years

Well done Bongolia, I bet the smell of damp and geek is unchanged too.
>>
File: IMG_20170616_195423639_HDR.jpg (982KB, 3076x1730px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170616_195423639_HDR.jpg
982KB, 3076x1730px
what can i do to make this look better? this is just the layout so far
>>
>>9522772
Is this for a fantasy larp? Or post apoc? Either way, you need to sort away to set a weave through them. And get to weathering.
>>
>>9522885

fantasy and weathering is definitely in the plan. I tightened the pattern and added straps around each ring but i've got a long way to go and only 2 months to get there
>>
>>9522905
We want pictures of your progress.
>>
File: IMG_20170616_232739124_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4497x2605px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170616_232739124_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4497x2605px
>>9522920

It's slow going. this fabric is a little thicker than i'm used to
>>
File: IMG_20170616_234012935_HDR.jpg (2MB, 3972x2234px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170616_234012935_HDR.jpg
2MB, 3972x2234px
>>9522937

here's the pattern i'm going for. this is going to be over my abdominal area and i'm going to see if my friend can make me some chain mail for the siding
>>
>>9522661
Its all about the silhouette
>>
File: soeur églantine.jpg (239KB, 537x800px) Image search: [Google]
soeur églantine.jpg
239KB, 537x800px
I wanna show off the headdress I finished last night. And since I can't spoil my players yet...
It's for a nun npc for a small larp.
>>
File: 5408594-olgierd.png (1MB, 700x831px) Image search: [Google]
5408594-olgierd.png
1MB, 700x831px
ITT: Cultures that aren't being played enough.

I think Cossacks and Slavs in General are cool.
>>
>>9523549
I've actually gotten a long flynn from calimacil for that purpose.
>>
>>9502980
Shit? What were you expecting then?
>>
>>9503469
In Finland whenever the game requires humanoid foes, be it orcs, vampires, zombies, aliens, ghosts or whatever, they're always played by an NPC or are a fully playable race to play. Here we take pride in our props/kit but in larping some things cannot always be visible or possible to show irl.
E.g: "game instructions: a giant wolflike monster appears from the dark and drags X's injured body into the black of night."
The creature would obviously be super expensive and hard if not impossible to prop, so sometimes you have to use your imagination, deal and go with it.
>>
>>9514194
THIS SO MUCH
>>
>>9516452
The biggest I know are Danish Sunfall, Polish Old Town and upcoming tinier Finnish one Raatosuo.
>>
>>9521309
Who?
>>
>>9524087
I like how the games I'm playing right now try to just scope out all those things for that sole reason. Tone down the power and fantasy levels a little, make it a tad bit more inclined to grimdurp, and all of a sudden you can easily go full "what-you-see-is-what-you-get" which is great for a LARP.

And goddamn, it feels nice to be in a setting where most non-humans will immediately be treated with a sense of "???".
>>
>>9524087

i wish we had enough plot members for that. we have 3 or 4 full time npc people but for the most time enemies are players in tabbards. and "what do I see?" is a big part of the game
>>
>>9522772
>what can i do to make this look better? this is just the layout so far
glue some gears on it and call it steampunk

>>9523219
that actually looks cool

>>9524084
>What were you expecting then?
not shit. Especially after how much the organizer talked about it won't be shit and how the players went all "we are putting a lot of effort into this"
At least make the stuff a little dirty or something
>>
>>9524087

In my LARP, especially big enemies are played by teams(!) of NPCs. Like one person is a single arm of the creature. Although we have required NPC shifts for players so there's usually enough bodies to throw around for it on the rare occasion something like that shows up to fuck the town over.
>>
>>9522562
I've never been a big fan of games that force you to buy skills just to use your weapons at a basic level. idk, maybe it's just me, but my immersion would be broken less by a wizard using a spear, than if that wizard ran out of spells and was surrounded by spears but couldn't defend himself because "can't touch those weapons, don't have the skill, lol."

Sorry to hear about your damage woes. It sounds like they're trying to take a more realistic approach, but that's naturally going to cause some imbalance. Before the change, were there a lot of melee fighters?

I just got back from my first event with a new game in my area, I think I've officially met my first LARP That Guy. Game was still a blast, though.
>>
>>9525073

i believe that's to differentiate the player's skill from the character.

I, the player, have been using different weapons for years where as Gil the bard barely knows which end of a sword to hold.

of course in my system you can block with anything you just can't call damage with a weapon you don't have skill ranks in
>>
>>9525085
the problem with these kind of systems is that even a monkey can stab you to death with a rusty knife, but suddenly in a larp a guy who otherwise is perfectly capable to kill you with a sword cannot harm you with a slightly different sword.
>>
>>9523549
Yeah, they're really cool.
Also holy fuck is the Witcher universe such a great one for inspiration.
>>
>>9516122
That sounds like pretty much every SCA fighting demo I've ever seen, even decades later lol.
>>
>>9525407

I agree but in a setting where you can take 3 direct hits from a trained great sword user unarmored, I doubt that monkey is doing much
>>
>>9525567
monkeys can be scary good at shanking anon.
>>
>>9525567
Monkeys, especially the smaller ones, have rogue spec as a racial ability anon.
>>
>>9525570

oh fuck you're right
>>
>>9525073
Before we had some more melee fighters but almost all new characters (be it old players or new) seem to prefer guns. Our faction is pretty dedicated to melee weapons as we all have a honourable personal one, but bar one player we rarely use them in combat situations.

>>9525407
At least Swords and Slightly Different Swords fall into the same skillset with our rule system. Also I personally never found it weird that my character couldn't use automated machine guns.
>>
>>9525575
I understand the need of balance but on the other hand it still looks idiotic that a character cannot operate a machine that it takes literally just minutes to learn to operate.
Obviously you won't be proficient with it, maybe you shoot yourself in the foot, but that's not something that the rules should be about, that's your job to play that role if needed.

I have very bad experiences with systems that bans weapon on a skill basis or even worse on a class basis. Like XY class cannot use weapon Z.
And then the braindead organizers try to explain fluff wise why that makes complete sense and it's part of the world. Thus if for example a girl cannot use a sword she MUST be a witch because that's a class that cannot use swords.
Just to say a completely random example...
>>
>>9525577
Whatever, if I see a guy with a spear, I only want to have to worry about the spear. If he suddenly starts shooting fireballs at me, that's going to seem a little weird.

What is worse IS restricting your damage or weapon choice based on what "level" you are. If you make and bring a big sword, you should be able to use that big sword to do big sword damage.
>>
>>9525596
If we nerds in this thread can learn how to fight with a wide range of weapons as a hobby alongside jobs/study/40 hours a week of shitposting online, then Spells McMage the wizard can probably work out how to use a spear as a hobby/exercise alongside a full time commitment to learning fireballs and shit.
>>
>>9525596
>If he suddenly starts shooting fireballs at me, that's going to seem a little weird.
why would that be weird?

>
What is worse IS restricting your damage or weapon choice based on what "level" you are. If you make and bring a big sword, you should be able to use that big sword to do big sword damage.
I must also admit that I'm not a big fan of this damage thing either. Nor for the level stuff
>>
>>9525728
>unpainted nerf guns
They're not even trying, are they?
>>
>>9525728
well, at least the satcomms and such items were actual stuff in the fallout game. But yeah, costumes is on the same tier on average
>>
>Got hit in face by a foam mace, landed a few hits in a newb skirmish at larpers panel somewhere at casual con recently
>why i missed this fun so long?
>ahh, stEm degree and papers
>>
>>9525807
Studying can wait a year, anon. Larping can't, and is way more important.

I wonder why my studies are faring so terribly, I have no clue.
>>
Looking for a budget alternative since my Calimacil dagger got rejected by my larp runners. Forgotten Dreams has some really pretty ones, but I've heard their weapons are a little on the fragile side. Is this true?

I also looked at some of Epic Armory's latex blades. I don't like their armor, but how do their weapons measure up? Are they at least decent?
>>
>>9526363
>Forgotten Dreams
I heard tales of two breaking in the span of four hours training after purchase, but also that they've gotten better recently. I'd suggest them only for sidearms.

>Epic Armoury
High maintenance and much on the light side as far as larp weapons go. If you can live with that, go for it.

Also, if your organizers reject weapons for being Calimacil, please tell them an anonymous person on the internet thinks they're faggots.
>>
>>9526363
>my Calimacil dagger got rejected by my larp runners.
for what reason?
>>
>>9526500
Being too hard. "We're not a lightest-touch tapfighting game, and if you hit someone hard with this it will hurt them." Like nigga do you think knife fighters all wind up for big heavy strikes or something? I'm not going to be doing that with this.
Fuckin' Amerilarps, man.

>>9526470
Half the players think the person in question is a faggot too.
Appreciate the feedback. Sidearm/backup weapon is mainly what I'm looking for anyway, and desu I like the look of the FD ones better.
>>
>>9526514
>and if you hit someone hard with this it will hurt them
when I shittalk someone that might also hurt them. And yet I'm not banned from talking... well not from everywhere so far.
But yeah that's retarded, you can't really put so much orc into a dagger attack to seriously injure someone if you playing safe and not as a reatard
>>
File: FB_IMG_1490597104234.jpg (26KB, 680x660px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1490597104234.jpg
26KB, 680x660px
So fucking what if you get hit hard?
Fucking bitch ass motherfuckers, you are fighting for fucking pete's sake.

Tell the asshole that its a bit and 9 times out of ten they'll say sorry and it won't happen again.
>>
File: con costume.jpg (648KB, 935x1405px) Image search: [Google]
con costume.jpg
648KB, 935x1405px
>>9523219
Can't resist using it earlier. Imma go to a con with it, as a merchant or something.
The kirtle was borrowed, hence it being a little bit too wide.

>>9523549
Asian stuff (actual asian cultures, not anime-grade cosplays), maybe? Oh, I know. Indonesian stuff, masks in particular. They've got very stylized demon masks which I think could look better than a can't-be-realistic-but-tries-anyway monster costume.
>>
>>9527051
have to ask: what's with the skirt?
I don't know what but seems like it's a little off to the rest of the costume. Maybe it's the material or the thickness, can't say for sure
>>
>>9524087
miksikä tollaista larppia tarkalleen kutsutaan ja missä sitä voi harrastaa? kiitos etukätee avusta, oon iha pihal näist asioista ku vasta innostuin
>>
>>9527072
It's all one dress, and very thin woollen fabric. I think the fact that it's not ironed, and a bit oversized might be it?
>>
>>9527089
the wrinkles on their own isn't a problem. The problem is that it shows that either it's a great deal synthetic or very thin (and synthetic)
But as long as it works, it's not a real problem, just seems strange

The size is within acceptable parameters as far as I can see
>>
File: wool.jpg (320KB, 814x773px) Image search: [Google]
wool.jpg
320KB, 814x773px
>>9527092
Nah, it's wool, the person who sewed it knows her fabrics, but yes, very thin. The kirtle and sleeves (not made by me) are made in historically-acceptable fabrics, my headdress isn't.

Fun fact: both are based on Rogier van der Weyden paintings.
>>
>>9527095
holy shit, that's really fucking thin.
>>
>>9527097
Well it's sun-friendly, which is good because it's scalding outside. Actually it's even great because wool is insulating.Though you do have to wear a shirt underneath.
>>
File: LK_profile.jpg (212KB, 364x985px) Image search: [Google]
LK_profile.jpg
212KB, 364x985px
>>9527106
I'm well avare of that though I use 371 g / m2 wool for my outfit.
That and and armour
>>
>>9527113
Is that felt? If it isn't, how do you get it not to fray too much where it's slashed?
Also very nice helmet.
>>
File: 81_4578_037_ZB01[1].jpg (82KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
81_4578_037_ZB01[1].jpg
82KB, 600x600px
>>9527132
it's wool, the 100% kind. That's the wonder of proper wool, it won't fray if you slash it, although you need a certain thickness for it.
But if for some reason it frays you can sew around the slash
>>
>>9526607
>So fucking what if you get hit hard?
Maybe they'll learn the value of armour, then.
>>
>>9527613
>armour
Imagine the value of not being a pussy. I hardly fight at LARPs anymore and focus on the RP part because the fighting has a tendency to just get so pussified it's not even funny.

I've never had any trouble with people myself, but just seeing some people whine about nothing makes my blood boil so much it's better to pretty much just not take part.
>>
>>9527642
Its not the case here (yet)
But seriously, it might be a pretend fight but if you "minmax fight" and complain that i didnt pull all of my blows they deserve to get hit by a wooden one.
>>
File: 1498077208053.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1498077208053.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Describe your game's currency.

Mine works of a 1 - 10 - 100 system. Shill, mark, and white gold.

Used to have a 50 piece, called black gold, but there been taken out of circulation.
>>
>>9528117
The economy system is so fucked that I don't even know how it works apart from the fact that gypsies hold the bank, and that we use gold.
>>
ISO Gropey. I actually have need of you for once.
>>
File: faun.jpg (118KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
faun.jpg
118KB, 1024x683px
>>9528274
>Calling forth for gropey
>not making a suitable offering
[sigh] anons today
>>
File: fidget-cube-banner.jpg (57KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
fidget-cube-banner.jpg
57KB, 600x600px
>>9528117
First game: pretty standard fantasy stuff, "marks" with coins representing 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 5, and 10. There's also a competing currency, "guilders," used by a few nations; 10 guilders = 1 mark.

Second game: single unified resource, basically souls/blood echoes from the Soulsborne games.

Unrelated request for the thread: I'm trying to come up with a set of at least 4 alien artifacts for one of my characters. Each artifact should have a little bit of heft to it, I'm thinking about the size of a tennis ball and maybe 1kg or a little less, but the weight isn't super important, as long as I can hold them comfortably in hand. What's important is that each one has to have some kind of details that I can meaningfully interact with, like switches or dials that can be adjusted. Preferably different things for each artifact, so I can tell them apart by feel. I'm thinking of buying a fidget cube or two (pic related) and cannibalizing them for parts. Any other suggestions for where I could get objects with interactive parts like that? If they can light up or something, even better.
>>
>>9528117
coins are 1, 5 silver and 1, 5 gold. 10 silver is 1 gold
>>
help i need to figure out how to stop procrastinating and finish my armor piece!

I've only got 2 months to sew 200 'scales' into fake leather
>>
>>9528274
What do you need? I can hit him up on facebook for you.
>>
how does your character secure their belongings? I'm thinking of getting a puzzle box or something for next gather
>>
ok i added eyelets and actually secured everything in the picture. the siding is gonna be 4in1 aluminium chain
>>
File: IMG_20170622_015311478_HDR.jpg (757KB, 2906x1426px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170622_015311478_HDR.jpg
757KB, 2906x1426px
>>9528744

forgot image...
>>
>>9528111
>complain that i didnt pull all of my blows
Pull all of your blows, you fucking faggot. Pulling blows is not a larp-unique rule. If you ignore a game's safety rules just because you disagree with them and want to feel macho, YOU'RE the one who deserves to get hit.
>>
>>9527642
Aw, mad that you don't get to stomp on fat kids and pasty nerds?
Actual blows are for actual contact sports, anon. Going all out with foam weapons just makes you a douche.
>>
File: Lana107.jpg (906KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Lana107.jpg
906KB, 1200x900px
>>9528611
>help i need to figure out how to stop procrastinating and finish my armor piece!
if you don't finish it you will look like these retards
>>
>>9528854
>mad that you don't get to stomp on fat kids and pasty nerds
>doesn't read my post
>I've never had any trouble with people myself

It's more the fact that you get people whining about the littlest of things. Sometimes to get an in-game advantage. I know LARP fighting is pussified as Hell, which is why I hardly do it. There's no fun in it.

4/10 Troll, made me post.
>>
>>9528824
>you're the one who deserves to get hit
But he likes that... you're only making it more fun for him!
>>
>>9528824
Listen here, I pull all my blows but if an asshole fighter ducks in the directiin of my blade i can inly do so much on a short notice.
Also if i see it will 100% hit their shield/weapon I dont pull it as much, disarming them like that is too precious.

Also have you never fought a shield fucker that attacked quickly with light taps acting as if his weapon is made of air instead of acting like its ment to be steel?

Im talking about those asses who also count your hp for you and tries to play you like ýou are a tom drum.
If you aint gonna act like its steel why should i?
>>
Is there any synthetic matetial that has similar quailities to leather, so I can make armour, scabbards etc out of it?
I have no access to leather but to a very decent (lookwise) faux leather, so I can cover the look part.
>>
>>9529010
Ok, so, use the faux leather?
>>
>>9529010
wrap fake leather over some aluminium plates.
>>
>>9528856

fuck ok that worked
>>
I want to start attending renaissance fairs and such here in Germany. Since I'm from the US, are there any 'new world' flairs I could integrate into my costume, such as native american arrow heads, or other objects that may historically have been in the possession of someone who would have traveled to the new world (perhaps, what the natives would have given to Lief Erikson?)
>>
>>9529010
Fake suede.
Word to the wise; faux leather is not nearly as strong as actual leather. If you wish to make armour out of it, layer some actual fabric behind it.
>>
So I got a new chainmail and it comes with the overly-loose sleeves like they always do. 2 questions:

1) Should the sleeves be like this? Or should I get them to fit my arms?
2) Supposing I should slim them up, I'm working out on bulking. Should that be taken into account? Like, if my arms get thicker ?
>>
>>9530268
1)yes they should be like this.
2)see answer 1)

get a comfy gambeson to wear under (for maximum comf) or over (for aesthetical reasons) the chainmail
>>
>>9530268
>1) Should the sleeves be like this? Or should I get them to fit my arms?
depends how loose are the sleeves but 90% of the time it shouldn't be like that. Than again, it doesn't stop people to wear it like that.

>2) Supposing I should slim them up, I'm working out on bulking. Should that be taken into account? Like, if my arms get thicker ?
if you aren't going to get, like several cm up in circumference then no. and you can modify later if that's really the case
>>
>>9529726
I'm not sure what was going on with native Americans in the 1100 to 1300s..
>>
>>9521695
>>9521988
>>9521998
Those books are splats for the table top with extra lore for the LARP. Though usually for shit outside of the theaters of play for each settlement/chapter. Talk to a mother fucker, I picked up one book that covers the otherside of the country because I was curious and it has affected my playing not one bit. The sourcebook does have all you need to get rolling and there is by no means a required buy in on those splats.

Talk to other players in and out of game to find out what's going on now, and what's happened recently that matters. If you're crafting a backstory email marshals, STs, or directors with your questions.

Hell, if you're going to be in Requiem (New York) or Hayven (New Jersey) in July I'll catch you up on all the gossip thats fit to spit. For example, did you know some fella out in the Landing (Indiana) is actually getting traction with some kind of Unified nation movement and emancipation of Irons spiel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wmFc20sbqc
>>
>>9522503
They started the LARP and then made a tabletop of the setting. Those 15 dollar books you complain about are expansions for the tabletop game that contain lore that is relevant but in no way required by the LARP. And of course people push the books and staff has them and the hard copies of the survivors guide for sale at game.
>>
So guys to spark an age old /tg/ fighting past-time.. how big should a character's background be?
>>
>>9530549
10 centimeter
>>
>>9530557
All good things come in 10-centimeters size, baby
>>
>>9530549
It depends of course! Wait, you want more?

Backstory should be whatever it takes to have a solid grasp of who the character is and how they tick. For some people that means some bullet points to thrash out a concept and broad strokes, with improv taking care of the rest. Other people find a more complete character bio helpful and can freeze up if they need to talk about their time at wizard school with no prep.

Whatever works for you, and helps create a character that is fun to play and play with. Too little backstory can be jarring or smack of lack of effort, and while there is no intrinsic harm in reams of notes just remember that just because you wrote a novella of the characters life that does not mean anyone has to listen or care.
>>
where can i buy good armor in the EU?
doesnt have to be a rolce royce, but above mytholon tier?
>>
>>9530628
eastern europe smiths is your best bet
>>
>>9530638
any single armourer?
>>
>>9530640
Forge of Svan is good if you want brigandines and the likes.
>>
>>9530642
and chainmaile or plate?
>>
>>9530645
for chainmail there are some very good indian and various ebay vendors, can't find them right now, might be able to post it at sunday
>>
>>9530640
can't think of one right now that doesn't have a mile long waiting list
>>
>>9530645
Chainmail is always India, let's you cut out the middleman. Plate armour wise I'm not certain... since it usually means going for Mytholon quality or stepping it up a whole lot/being stuck in a queue for eternity.
>>
>>9530648
>>9530651
what to look for on ebay for a good maille?
I dont mean "good chainmail" as a search term, the little things you know?
>>
>>9500921
My boots are very clearly non period. I like them, they're comfortable, but they're lace up work boots. What are some ideas for making them stick out less? I was thinking some way to cover the laces and eyelets. Suggestions?
>>
>>9532493
Gaiters my dude.
Even mytholon make decent ones
>>
Few threads ago, some anon asked about Olgierd's moveset and posted a link for a youtube of it.
Is anon still here and can link me, or does anyone else have it?
>>
>>9532546
Seconding this. Gaiters are god tier kit.
>>
>>9530645
and here it is, good shop for riveted chainmail.
Probably there are better ones but it's good enough for most thing.
Rest of the stuff they have though is shit

http://allbeststuff.com/Chain-Mail-Armour
>>
meanwhile, new thread because of autosage

>>9533659

>>9533659
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 101

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.