[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General Help Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 100

File: hulp.png (436KB, 473x354px) Image search: [Google]
hulp.png
436KB, 473x354px
Bump Limit reached on old thread >>9458340

Last few questions from the last thread if anyone cares to answer them:
>>9477778
>>9477547
>>9477457
>>9477239
>>
File: Screenshot_20170514-180625.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170514-180625.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
Does anyone have a good way to make this type of bracer. I'm a little stuck with the layered pieces and how to make them curve in that specific way
>>
File: 30d.png (357KB, 680x394px) Image search: [Google]
30d.png
357KB, 680x394px
>>9477854
>Takes pattern I'm going to modify out of envelope
>Measurements on actual pattern are way larger than those it says it's supposed to fit on the envelope

I don't usually use patterns so maybe this is normal but it's making me nervous. Can anyone tell me if this is normal before I start cutting things?
>>
>>9478138
EVA foam. You just cut the pieces flat, add the details, and heat to shape.
>>
>>9478145
How loose fitting is the garment supposed to be? Unless you're designing something to be made out of elastic fabric you alway draw some extra cm's in a pattern to allow for movement
>>
>>9478145
im guessing you might be looking at the seam allowance
>>
how important is a cap and wig glue for a guy wholl have short-mediumish hair?

only ever heard of it in cosplay. on tv shows n movies they just seem to wear the wig straight up.
>>
File: ZeroLancer.png (1MB, 1800x1750px) Image search: [Google]
ZeroLancer.png
1MB, 1800x1750px
I have a sheet of veg tan leather and some brown leather dye for the hip thing. For the black lines I was originally just going to cut out the pieces and layer it over black canvas. But now I'm thinking I could just stamp out the line areas for dimension and dye them black. I don't do a lot of leather working, does this sound feasible?
>>
File: 1494545618682.jpg (82KB, 569x466px) Image search: [Google]
1494545618682.jpg
82KB, 569x466px
>>9478173
It's supposed to be nearly skintight and looking at the pattern it's definitely way too big.
>>9478173
It's nearly 30 cm too big in all dimensions. I don't know how the hell the pattern could be so off but that's 20$ down the drain.
>>
>>9478436
>It's nearly 30 cm too big in all dimensions

then shrink everything by 30 cm?
you can still use the pattern even if its too big, just trim it up you lazy ass.

i had a similar problem when i bought some patterns at a swapmeet. the patterns i wanted were all cut down to the medium size but i needed it to be a large so i just enlarged the pattern.
>>
Hey I'm using a body suit with a hood for one of my upcoming cosplays but because of the material used for the costume, I can't see out the mask. Is there any way around this or will I just have to be taking the hood off a lot?
>>
>>9478436
Is this counting for tolerances/selvage/hems? What is the pattern and what does it make, anyways? Usually patterns will make something 4"+ bigger than your measurement for ease, more if it's a jacket or a loose-fitting item.
>>
>>9478145
You have to make a mockup fifat. Also enveloce patterns are all over the place these days. All you can do is measure out the pattern pieces to find the size that actually males sense for you then test it with a mockup before cutting your good fabric.
>>
>>9478538
thats... not exactly how patterns work anon.

You can't just make it bigger or smaller proportionally, patterns' shapes change with size. Look at just about any clothes pattern and you can see that the larger sizes are not just the same pattern made bigger.

I am not saying that she CAN'T work with this pattern and make something that fits, but it isn't as simple as simply trimming the pattern.
>>
>>9478614
im not talking about scanning the pattern into something like illustrator and just enlarging it, moron.
>>
File: derpwoman.jpg (80KB, 276x291px) Image search: [Google]
derpwoman.jpg
80KB, 276x291px
How do you round off the sharp edges of EVA foam?

Knife don't work
>>
>>9478629
Sandpaper
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 256x174px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 256x174px
Kind of a very general question, but what are some very casual cosplays that I could do? I don't want to go as an anime character, or a character from a western shows... I was thinking along the lines of a mascot or a meme (not like pepe necessarily but maybe like a pet or reference in an anime?) I think Peko-chan (pic related) would be cute but that's really all I got for ideas. I was considering going as a cat, but I thought that would maybe be cringy as fuck.

I hope this makes sense!
>>
>>9478684
you don't need to dress up to go to a convention
>>
>>9478684
There's way too many things out there anon. Just skim through your favorite things and pick something. Peko isn't a bad idea.
>>
do i buy a wig plus hair extensions for the ponytail?

or do i just wear a longass wig?

would i find an easier time getting this kind of wig in the womens section?

guy here so i have no clue about hair and wigs
>>
File: Terry_bogard.jpg (567KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Terry_bogard.jpg
567KB, 900x1600px
>>9478903

fuck sake. l
>>
File: starlord.jpg (31KB, 409x800px) Image search: [Google]
starlord.jpg
31KB, 409x800px
A few questions:

>I know it's a sin, but could I use my real hair for Starlord?
>How should I clip my blasters to my belt? I may go super-ghetto and just cut down some Goodwill belts to wrap around the handle and my own belt
>>
File: heatstamping.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
heatstamping.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>9478961
Since it's a real actor you're portraying you can get away with real hair, if you have his haircut. You might have to touch up in the bathroom occasionally but it should be doable.
For the clips, since it looks like part of the pants rather than the belt (it's been ages since I saw the movie, correct me if I'm wrong) you could fib it by making non-functional clip looking parts on your pants and attaching something similar to old-time cellphone/pager clips to your weapons so you can hang them directly from your belt.

>>9478386
I'm not a leatherworker at all, but an anon in an older Nier thread did some heatstamping into pleather with a linoleum block, pic related. You could probably try that method like you said.
>>
>>9478145
You didn't accidentally buy the plus size set of measurements, did you?
>>
>>9478614
Grading a pattern is not difficult, and you are essentially proportionally enlarging it. An hour on YouTube and anon can easily scale the pattern down, make a muslin, adjust, and be done with it. I swear to god, people treat pattern sizing like fucking calculus.
>>
Is it acceptable to pink edges on commissions? My serger died so pinking was my next option.
>>
File: IMG_7958.png (100KB, 351x391px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7958.png
100KB, 351x391px
Trying to make a head mask out For my Rowley Jefferson cosplay.

The big question is Papier-mâché, styrofoam, wonderflex or smoothfoam?

Also, need help on how to convincingly do the hair.
>>
File: IMG_8053.png (593KB, 1002x395px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8053.png
593KB, 1002x395px
>>9479231
As you can see the 3D models of the figures isn't good, any suggestions?
>>
>>9479113
Of course pinking is fine, as long as you still do something with those edges like zigzag stitch them to make them look nice, while the edges will be fine just pinked people who don't know that will think the edges are unfinished/sloppy. If you're in need of a serger see if there's a makerspace in your local libraries, they usually have a sewing spot that sometimes has a serger you can use.
>>
File: WoWScrnShot_051217_133032.jpg (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_051217_133032.jpg
1MB, 1366x768px
Does anyone have any ideas for where to get a stony-looking brown zentai? Wanting to work on an Eyir cosplay, but I'm kind of shying away from having a custom one made if I am able to. Also, the white lines-- would masking/painting even work on zentai? Christ, it seems like everything else-- the armor and wings and all that aren't going to be as bad to figure out.

>>9479056
That's a pretty neat idea.
>>
>>9478629

You can also use a dremel to get it rounded out. Pawn shops usually sell those for cheap; I got mine for 7 bucks and it works like a charm. They're also great for making holes, drilling and possibly even cutting. You'll just need the bits, but those are usually pretty easy to find.
>>
I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but can anyone refer me to a good seamstress in the LA area? I'm really bad at sewing. I tried to be crafty with foam for the cloth portion of a faulds I was trying to make but it just doesn't look right. Sorry, I'm getting kind of desperate right now.
>>
>>9479056
That's neat but leather and pleather don't work the same. One is plastic and rubber over cloth the other is pure protein.
>>
>>9479234
look at mascot or even fursuit tutorials to get an idea on what to do since both deal with oversized heads.
>>
>>9479231
Look up EVA foam helmet tutorials. That shape is so simple that it would be very easy to design your own pattern. (It would look like a rectangle with some half-almond shapes on top.) EVA foam you can seal and paint and it will have a very smooth finish. Look up Kamui Cosplay's latest video tutorial on priming EVA foam.

Another option is upholstery foam and a fleece skin for a softer, theme park mascot look. Look up the puppet stitch (also called the Henson stitch)
>>
>>9479231
An addendum to my previous comment >>9479371
At the risk of /cgl/ clowning on my old cosplay.com account, I'm going to post a work-in-progress shot for a katamari damacy cosplay I made when I was in high school: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/385269/ If you want to go low-tech with your construction (especially if you aren't taking this to a lot of events,) cardboard and papier mache are underrated materials. I made the dome by using papier mache on a big rubber ball. There is a picture of how I structured the inside as well. I ended up cutting recesses for my shoulders and adding a chin strap out of 2" elastic. I covered the head in felt, but fleece is a better option, I believe.
>>
>>9479321
Yeah, like I said I am not familiar with the materials. Anon mentioned they had vegan leather though, is that very different from pleather? We don't really have the distinction here, so I just assumed it was pleather too.
>>
>>9479475
Vegan leather is just a fancy way of saying pleather.
>>
>>9479475
vegan is pretty much the same as pleather or faux leather.
some just call it vegan because its leather that doesnt use animal parts (get it?)
like what >>9479485 said. its just a fancy way of saying it.

its like calling the garbage man a "sanitation worker".
>>
I want to dress up to go to momocon. Does anyone know where online I could buy a cute, quality seifuku that could be quickly shipped? I've checked Amazon out already. I'm going to take a look in the Aliexpress thread as well to see what I can find, but if anyone has any help for me I'd be really grateful. If it matters im 5'3 110 pounds
Despite lurking /cgl/ for years this will be my first time ever dressing up for a con!

>>9477239
Definitely go for the wig cap, if your hair is long enough to handle bobby pins I would suggest those as well
>>
Where can I buy decent quality EVA foam at a fair price and that is in or ships to Mexico?
>>
Has anyone tried out WISH (The shopping app)? Thoughts on it?
It seems a bit sketchy.. or is it on the same level as Aliexpress?
>>
>>9479858
I've bought non-jfash/lolita stuff from it-- it's fine, just expect cheaply made shit. Read the reviews.
>>
File: 54119930_p0.jpg (851KB, 1240x1653px) Image search: [Google]
54119930_p0.jpg
851KB, 1240x1653px
>>9478684
Virgin Killer and key hole sweater for easily recognizable meme wear. There's also seifuku, uniforms that are tied to a seires but are worn by multiple characters (See persona school uniforms/Iwatobi jackets) and pic related.
>>
I've heard you can weather props by mixing black acrylic paint with water. How much water should I add?
>>
File: Shinji_In_Plugsuit_(Mugshot).png (1MB, 906x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Shinji_In_Plugsuit_(Mugshot).png
1MB, 906x1600px
When it comes to painting on spandex, what kind of fabric paint should I use? Any particular brands of paint and brushes/tools in particular?
Trying to do a Shinji cosplay and need to get the detail done on the legs.
>>
File: 322911.jpg (37KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
322911.jpg
37KB, 225x350px
Has anyone ever seen a Kanna made of fleece before? I have this vision of making her cos out of fleece because it looks so poofy and pillowy and squishy looking, but I don't know if that would look awful on a grown ass woman
>>
whats a good place to buy sewing patterns for men? seems like everywhere i look its only for women, which honestly, im not really surprised.

im trying to look for a pattern that looks like a biker jacket for men but pretty much the only results im getting are jackets for women.
>>
>>9480102
Your best bet is to buy the women's pattern and alter it to suit your needs.
>>
>>9480107
thats what i was afraid it was going to resort to that.
i suppose it shouldnt be too hard, right? i know how to work a sewing machine but never really had to do any drastic altering like that.
>>
>>9480098
A grown ass woman cosplaying as a loli will look bad regardless
Might as well put your all into it
>>
File: Japanese aging.jpg (82KB, 1600x480px) Image search: [Google]
Japanese aging.jpg
82KB, 1600x480px
>>9480193
>A grown ass woman cosplaying as a loli will look bad regardless
Not if the woman herself is an eternal loli or asian
>>
>>9480200
I always assume every gull is below average genetically
>>
what's the best glue for gluing leather to pleather? I was thinking e6000, but It's not as flexible as would prefer since i'm working on shoes
>>
>>9480098
Eh I'd go for a sweatshirt type fabric or a cuddle. Fleece is a little cheap.
>>
>>9480226
probably contact cement since its the stuff thats actually used for leather working so its super flexable.

barge is one of the most popular brands but kinda hard to find in stores and its somewhat expensive online.

weldwood contact cement is easier to find and fairly cheaper. if you go with this one, make sure you get the once with the red label, not the green.
the green labeled one is a newer formula and it sucks.
>>
File: color.png (270KB, 656x656px) Image search: [Google]
color.png
270KB, 656x656px
any site i could use to get a t shirt or something the same color as this to wear under? color picker sites just never seem to have quite what i'm looking for
>>
>>9480051
That is entirely up to how much grime you want to add to your prop! If you're looking for a thick weathering effect, like oil getting stuck in the crevasses, use just a little bit of water. If you want something more subtle you can water it down to the consistency of milk.
>>
File: 7897785675.jpg (2MB, 2816x1584px) Image search: [Google]
7897785675.jpg
2MB, 2816x1584px
So I got some questions regarding boot making/bootcovers

>Where can I get cheapo new shoes that I won't feel guilty about ruining with a boot cover?

>Are there any good tutorials out there for making shoes from scratch?

>When doing a shoe cover/wrap, how do I ensure that I get no airbubbles/wrinkles? Is there a specific technique? Are there specific fabrics/materials that work better? Perhaps something I could heat and let it mold to the shape of the shoe?
>>
>>9480580
>Where can I get cheapo new shoes that I won't feel guilty about ruining with a boot cover?

And I mean new, not used. I don't want to catch a foot fungus.
>>
>>9480580
Tbh I just make 'socks' as bootcovers, so i can use my own comfortable shoes without ruining them. Sometimes with a layer of eva foam as sole so it doesnt ruin the sock fabric.
>>
>>9480619
Yeah judging by the tutorials I've looked up, I don't really like how the "sock" bootcover method turns out looking. I'd rather adhere material to the shoe so that I can preserve details.
>>
>>9480098
Found this off of google. This cosplay was not the same type of fleece as what you are thinking of using but the scallops and the Greek Key design do not translate well if you use fleece.
>>
>>9480583
>I don't want to catch a foot fungus.

stop being a baby and just fucking clean the shoe.
theres a reason why cleaning chemicals exist.
>>
Could I have some characters who would use (or use) a bloody pink dress? I have one from an old, crappy cosplay and I'd like to upgrade it and actually give it a purpose. It's light pink and mid thigh, any suggestion would be appreciated.
>>
File: Mine.jpg (50KB, 452x600px) Image search: [Google]
Mine.jpg
50KB, 452x600px
>>9480804
this seems to be minky fabric or a very fluffy near faux fur minky.

>>9480898
Mine from Akame ga kill (on my wishlist too hehe)
>>
File: badgirl.png (176KB, 900x576px) Image search: [Google]
badgirl.png
176KB, 900x576px
>>9480898
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but bad girl from no more heroes might work.
>>
File: Euphie's_Massacre.png (928KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Euphie's_Massacre.png
928KB, 1280x720px
>>9480898
Do you mean a bloodied pink dress?
>>
File: how the fuck.jpg (223KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
how the fuck.jpg
223KB, 800x600px
Anyone know how I can get the shroud for my HF Shirou to look like this (while still being able to undo it as needed)? Last time I did this cosplay it started falling apart so I ended up just leaving it hanging.

I'm thinking hairpins to keep it in place, maybe?
>>
>>9481120
sew it like a sleeve
>>
Awhile back I posted asking for fabric recommendations on the gerudo outfit for Link from Breath of the Wild and two anons recommended brocade for it. I really like how brocade would look,but I'm wondering if it'll be better to stick to normal silks since it's a matter of realism vs accuracy?
>>
>>9481122
This sew the strips down and either add a clear strap around your torso or use some spirit gum on your back
>>
>>9481125
That's completely up to you and your personal tastes anon.
>>
File: enditall.png (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
enditall.png
26KB, 500x500px
How do you get over the depression of not having your cosplay ready for the only con in your area for the year?
>>
>>9477854
best products and hairspray for styling wigs ?
>>
File: Riju.png (720KB, 866x791px) Image search: [Google]
Riju.png
720KB, 866x791px
Any advice or recommendations on the Wig for Riju from Zelda Botw
>>
File: zelda_botw_guide_naborisprep-5.jpg (409KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
zelda_botw_guide_naborisprep-5.jpg
409KB, 1280x720px
>>9481435
Back reference
>>
Did anyone save the translated dress care instructions in the laundry thread? I can't find it in the archive.
>>
File: tumblr_o2dcmb3sz11rrrrzso1_500.jpg (99KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2dcmb3sz11rrrrzso1_500.jpg
99KB, 500x750px
Any good guesses as to what material is this Shinji cosplayer's plugsuit is made out of? Latex?
>>
>>9480580
>When doing a shoe cover/wrap, how do I ensure that I get no airbubbles/wrinkles? Is there a specific technique? Are there specific fabrics/materials that work better? Perhaps something I could heat and let it mold to the shape of the shoe?
You make a good pattern by draping over the shoe and pinning as closely as you can. Then you cut your actual fabric (if it's a non-stretch fabric) on the bias so that the bias stretch will cover for the nooks and crannies.
>>
>>9480316
Officially the Eupho girls either wear nothing else under the uniform beyond the bra or a white/black camisole will be fine. Pick any white/black/nude-colored shirt with a deep cut collar and you should be fine, the shirt isn't supposed to show anyways.
>>
>>9480120
I would not recommend modifying a woman's pattern unlike what >>9480107 suggests unless it's a pattern for something so loose-fitting and it's unisex. The overall physiques of men and women are different enough that it's more effort to mod than drafting from scratch (wider shoulders, smaller front bust, wider waist, longer torso, narrower hips, wider biceps, etc.).
Check the costume section of commercial pattern makers like Simplicity, McCall, Butterick, etc; they are putting out more men's costume patterns and I've seen jackets in the mix.
>>
File: hazama-bb.jpg (72KB, 600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hazama-bb.jpg
72KB, 600x1200px
What kind of hat is this?

Can't be a fedora because it has a flat rim.
>>
>>9481808
It is, there are different types of fedoras.
>>
>>9481627
That is bullshit. Drafting from scratch when you have little experience is much harder than adjusting sleeves and width.
>>
>>9481808
No, that is a fedora. What people think is a fedora today, is a trilby.
>>
>>9481584
Probably just vinyl.
>>
>>9481808
its a fedora.

i dont even know how the "trilby=fedora" thing even managed to stick with people.
>>
>>9482223
just a LOT of the guys on the left buying the cheapest little hat they could find in stores so try and look like the guys on the right, of course

them claiming their shitty $2 hats were fedoras was to add to that "coolness"
>>
If I wear this, will people know I gained 10 pounds?

http://a.co/hr1jf31
>>
>>9482337
Do you know that you can now post images on this image board?
>>
>>9481409
got2b glued hairspray (the yellow can)

>>9481584
definitely latex
>>
I bought some fabric that looked great in the store, but when I brought it home, I noticed it had a bit of a shine to it. Not a lot, but it is there. I vaguely recall reading about a way to remove a bit of the shine on fabrics with baby powder or talcum powder. Is it possible? And if so, how?
>>
How do you guys avoid having your scalps turn into swamps when wearing heavier wigs?
>>
>>9482367
Use the reverse side? And the talcum powder trick is for wigs I think. For fabric the most you could do is maybe soak it in some vinegar to make the fibers more porous or spray it with matte fabric medium if that even exists
>>
>>9482434
The reverse is much, much darker than I would like. I'd rather go with slight shine than that
>>
File: 02 Gunvolt.jpg (178KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
02 Gunvolt.jpg
178KB, 1200x1000px
Didn't see a wig thread and i didn't want to start a new thread for one question, I'm buying from Arda and am unsure of what style of wig to use for Gunvolt here,
>>
File: pic.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
>>9482344
Okay, here's the thing. Does it look good?
>>
File: steel-coif.jpg (487KB, 864x1008px) Image search: [Google]
steel-coif.jpg
487KB, 864x1008px
Anyone with experience making chain mail: how long would it take to produce a chain mail shirt (size small) with pre-made rings? And what size rings look best for a shirt of mail?

I want to include chain mail in a costume but I'm not sure if I should make it myself or splurge on a pre-made shirt.
>>
I know this gets asked 800 million times but I checked the archive and didn't find much

Where can I buy/commission a quality maid uniform? Quality materials, something I could wear in public at a con/serve and isn't monstrous, etc. Archive had Milky Ange, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.
>>
>>9482664
if it's shapewear it will probably hide it to the effect you're looking for
>>
>>9478903
>>9478904
I'd just go with a long wig desu. Look at the measurements of the wig and your back to see how long you actually need it in proportion to yourself.
>>
>>9482664
A shitty man bustier? Nah dude, get a dude corset. You can tell that thing is shit because of the extreme use of photoshop. Shine up a turd, it's still a fucking turd.
>>
File: IMG_2185.jpg (97KB, 960x838px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2185.jpg
97KB, 960x838px
How can I wear eyeliner without it eventually smudging on me? I am very good about not touching my eyes but it seems like no matter what I do, several hours in my eye liner always betrays me.
>>
>>9482894
What eyeliner are you using?
>>
>>9482894

It depends what type of eyeliner you are using, is it gel, liquid, pencil? In general though, a way to keep your eyeliner in place is to use mineral powder beforehand around the area to absorb the oils on your face.
>>
>>9481619
officially the eupho girls aren't men either but that's not stopping me
>>
File: z4891874.jpg (357KB, 1080x1776px) Image search: [Google]
z4891874.jpg
357KB, 1080x1776px
>>9482710
I got you familia. Did chainmail for a costume a few years ago. Pic related.

I didn't want to pay out of my ass for premade rings as I was a broke as fuck student at the time. In 2 months I managed to finish 2 sleeves (tshirt length) by using fencing wire my dad had in the garage (12 gauge) and coiling them into 1/2" diameter rings. I intended to make an entire shirt for accuracy points but I had to finish the rest of my costume so I didn't bother making the rest (especially since the sleeves were the only visible chainmail).

Learn from my mistakes. You will want to save yourself as much time as possible avoiding any and all prep work so getting premade rings will save you a lot of headaches (and more importantly time). I highly recommend 14 gauge rings. 16 gauge is honestly is more for ornamental purposes and might warp on you having to support the weight of an entire shirt but will be easy to work with. 12 gauge is rock fucking solid and practically battle tier, but be prepared to have VERY sore forearms. In terms of ring size, try staying within 3/8" - 1/2" diameter, adjust according to how tightly knit you want the shirt to be.

An entire shirt will take you quite some time regardless of how many corners you manage to cut so give yourself a generous amount of time. Premade shirts (legit ones, not plastic ones) are fucking expensive last I checked, so I mean if you got more dollars than sense, go for it and save yourself the labor.
>>
File: 2d982f2fd13e0005d6e7c3b2b1c87a9d.jpg (507KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2d982f2fd13e0005d6e7c3b2b1c87a9d.jpg
507KB, 683x1024px
What should I do about Aya's shoes?
Pic related is the closest I found, but she actually wears something like red mary janes, but with the same one toed geta platforms.
From what I've researched they are not all that hard to keep balance in, as long as you stay in motion (which is kind of fitting for her, now that I think about it), so I'd like to go for accuracy and build some.

How would I go about doing that?
Just plaster two pieces of wood to the shoe soles?
Should I put a strip of rubber on the bottom? I'm not sure if that would make it easier or harder to walk...
Is it a good idea to make them slightly oval, so that the profile still looks thin, but the surface area is bigger? Or would that make it easier to trip sideways.

In any case, I'll bring a pair of backupshoes.
>>
File: percy.jpg (67KB, 639x633px) Image search: [Google]
percy.jpg
67KB, 639x633px
>>9482794
Where would I get a "dude corset"? I've checked all Googles.
>>
>>9483162
Definitely needs a solid wooden construction with supporting corners (like you see in the corners of the T shape) and screws.
As long as the rubber sole is not too thick you can walk on it, but it's harder to balance (but walking is easier as long as you keep moving as you noted)
Making the shape oval is more effort than it's worth I think.
>>
>>9483209
Clearly you did not.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=corset+for+men
>>
>>9483147
Thanks! I did some calculations and it seems that buying a shirt, buying premade rings, and buying wire are all going to end up being similarly expensive (I want black wire, which is more expensive than regular gray wire). I'm thinking I'll buy a child-sized chainmail shirt and break it down + rework it into the visible bits of mail on my costume.
>>
>>9482894
You need a quality eyeliner, are you looking for gel, crayon or liquid?

gel
>clinique gel liner, cheaper than stuff like bobbi brown but works amazing, doesn't budge on oily lids
liquid liner
>stila stay all day waterproof liner,
>kat von d tattoo liner
>prefer stila better personally

some people recommend eye primer such as Urban Decays, I've never used one I liked personally.
>>
File: IMG_1973.jpg (165KB, 690x981px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1973.jpg
165KB, 690x981px
Does this cuff style have a specific name? Also wondering what to do about her odd pants/shoes combo. I'd rather avoid making them into one article.
>>
>>9483493
Her sleeves look like something from a late 18th century colonial frock coat or Jack Sparrow costume. I don't know the name.
As for the pants/shoes, I suggest getting some wet-look thigh-high socks and altering the hem (or making your own socks), and wearing them over skintight white shorts.I did something like that for a Sitri Cartwright cosplay.
>>
>>9483311
It brings up the exact thing I showed you guys.
>>
>>9482984
>>9482988
>>9483427
Right now i use gel, just Maybeline nothing special. Is dropping the extra $$$ on some higher end liquid eyeliner the best way to go? I am willing to pay for it if it will last most of the day.

Would setting powder be helpful?
>>
What are some of your go to tutorials for re-curling a wig?

Trying to revive a lolita wig.
>>
>>9483523
Can I ask why you suggest wet-look thigh-highs? Are they stronger or more durable than regular thigh highs?
>>
>>9483617
How much fucking hand holding do you need? I just googled "corsets for men" and found all this shit
https://www.slimmingsolutions.com/corsets-for-men.html
https://lucycorsetry.com/product-category/men/
http://www.vollers-corsets.com/news/corsets-for-men/
And even if all your doing is looking at the pictures and not the fucking sites themselves, the photoshoped shit you posted doesn't even show up for several pages.
>>
>>9483676
No, they just look fancier than regular black thigh-highs, and they're guaranteed to be opaque unlike knit fabric. A lot of people use wet-look thigh highs to create a faux-boots look on a budget (pic related). I don't know the character, but if her shoepant-things are supposed to look like leather boots then you should use wet-look socks.
>>
File: 3M-471-White-Vinyl-Tape-1000px.jpg (37KB, 976x1000px) Image search: [Google]
3M-471-White-Vinyl-Tape-1000px.jpg
37KB, 976x1000px
I asked last thread but it was already bump limit and it's gone now.
Is baking parchment a good non-stick material to temporarily attach tape to?
I need to cut it in an intricate design sort of a sticker but if I cut it normally it would cut the whole roll. Pic related.
>>
>>9484062
have you ever tried experimenting on different surfaces?
just cut small strips and stick it on various surfaces.
>>
Anyone have good recommendations for sewing machine? Looking to replace mine, preferably not computerized and would like for it to come with a satin stitch, if possible. Never had luck with zigzags.
I was looking into a Bernette B35 but wasn't sure if it was great quality?
Anything helps, thanks.
>>
How does one run a cosplay contest or masquarde well? I dont get to choose the contestants but I'm helping out a costume/skit contest and I want it to good for everyone. Anyone got tips or experience to share?
>>
>>9484062
What about wax paper?
>>
File: HW_Princess_Zelda.png (377KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
HW_Princess_Zelda.png
377KB, 850x850px
How does one create form fitting bracers without a massive gap down the middle to open them? Is it possible?
>>
>>9484399
hide the gap underneath the outer armor piece
the fastener would likewise be hidden underneath said piece
>>
File: platform shoes.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
platform shoes.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
I recently got T-strap platform shoes similar to pic related (but black). They're one size too big and no matter what I try, my heel keeps slipping out when trying to walk, making them very uncomfortable.
I've tried stuffing the toes, but that just squishes my toes and does nothing about the problem. What do I do? Is there some kind of solution I'm overlooking?
>>
Thinking of cosplaying for a convention next year, but sadly I don't know who I would even go as. I'm 6'8" broad shoulders. Thoughts?
>>
>>9484405
buy a size smaller
>>
>>9484307
Make sure everyone upfront gets mailed about their position in the queue, and before the contest starts, run down the audio/visuals with each contestant on time. (ofcourse make sure the audio and visual tracks are already in the correct position). Make sure there is plenty of space backstage and communicate well on where to go up, and where to walk off. Make sure you tell your contestants when they have to be back for the finals.

>>9484405
I usually wrap my toes in fitness tape, makes it a little fatter in the front too. I also taped craftfoam in my shoes before to shape it better to my feet. Also i guess yours dont have straps or you would not slip out so adding straps might be an idea
>>
>>9478904

rebump lads, time is running out.

Should I get a guy's medium hair wig + an extension or just one long haired wig?

I feel that a wig with long hair will not have the bangs/fluff that I'll need on the front and side (ie the long hair will look like a lady's ponytail where everything is pushed back and completely flat like how they do it when playing sports or in a professional setting).
>>
>>9483322
Good to hear that everything ends up being financially feasible. I was just lucky my dad had a bunch of wire laying around, I only had enough money to spend on fabrics.

Good call on the child size shirt. Just be careful if you need to resize something like a sleeve, you'll want to use the same ring (gauge, diameter, metal, etc) and be sure to do the same weave pattern otherwise it'll stick out like a sore thumb on your costume.

https://youtu.be/EUrY7uwcYsI?t=7m56s

Good tutorial if you want to make mail from scratch, basically the method I used. This is for a 4 in 1, though there are loads of other weaving patterns out there.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (108KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
108KB, 1920x1080px
How can i paint my prop gun to achive the glowing blue effrct of the pic without resorting to leds
>>
Billy Hatcher anon here, trying to figure out the headpiece construction. I broke it down into 3 pieces; the hard shell, the beak, and the comb.

I still have to do some research, but I figure there is a wealth of knowledge on how I can make the helmet hard shell. I more or less will be making a lightweight helmet.

As far as the "beak" goes, it's supposed to be his hair that's just styled into a beak. I think I can make this by using hair from a blonde wig and gluing it to a foam base. I'll be looking up tutorials for how to make hair spikes for wigs. I don't know how that will end up looking as some of the tutorials I've seen using this method seems to yield pretty shitty results.

The trouble I'm having now is figuring out how to make the comb. I want to use rubber/latex to more accurately represent it/achieve a seamless look. To give it more structure/stability, I'm thinking to line it with something (perhaps cotton stuffing). Would I just need to follow some latex mask making guides for this?
>>
>>9484405
look into shoe insoles like ones from the dr. scholls brand. I usually buy a size up and then put them in for convention wear and comfort.
>>
>>9484451
Unfortunately it doesn't look they can get the queue position ready to people before the event. They usually wait until right before and have people direct them on where to go, people who've never done this before, i.e me.

For back stage, I've seen seating with numbers, not sure if that will help with communication since some groups are huge and run with huge props.
>>
>>9484504
Maybe one of those fancy pearlecent car vinyl wrap?
>>
>>9484399
use velcro or magnets.
personally I would use magnets.
>>
>>9480237
>>9480804
Different person here, cosplaying as Kanna, with kind of an opposite question: I'm going to Anime Expo, which is in LA in July. So needless to say it's most likely gonna be suuuper hot. And Kanna's outfit looks pretty warm. What fabric should I use so I don't die from the heat?
>>
>>9484504
i suggest you do some research on how glowing objects work. or just lights in general.
>>
>>9484689
I live in Georgia and I made my Kanna outfit so I wouldn't die from the heat. I used cotton eyelet for the skirt and a polyester fabric for the pink top (I scalloped the fabric for the skirt and top instead of using trim). For the capelet I was considering using wool but because I couldn't find one I liked that would ship in time I used linen instead. I also dyed the top fabric, a strip of linen, and some trim in the same dye bath so they would all be the same shade of pink. The collar looked fluffy so I used a piece of ultra fluffy fabric (it's near the minky in Joann), though I need to go back and replace it because I accidentally bought off white fluffy fabric instead of white.
>>
>>9484460
Just use a long wig. Leave some locks on the front for the bangs.
>>9482791

>>9484532
I'd save yourself the trouble of latex and just go with a fleece comb. Look up the Henson stitch so you can get a more seamless look. Plus picking the fleece at the seam will help with hiding it.
>>
>>9484714

but arent almost all long haired wigs mostly uniform in length?

the front should be just under my ears and sides maybe partially cover it while the ponytail is way below shoulder.

or will the wig store alter it for me for free?
>>
>>9484791
>but arent almost all long haired wigs mostly uniform in length?
>the front should be just under my ears and sides maybe partially cover it while the ponytail is way below shoulder.

you do know you can cut and style wigs, right?
>>
>>9484791
>Leave some locks on the front for the bangs.
then
>grab scissors
then do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjB1ydjQBsk

don't cut off as much as the person in the video

got it?
>>
>>9484532
Honestly his whole hat looks like it would look good made out of fleece. Nothing in particular jumps out as making it look like it should be hard.
>>
>>9484834
>>9484818

>implying a meathead like myself wont wreck it.

oh well itll be fun i guess, its not gonna clog the bathroom sink, right?

is a wig cap and wig glue a meme or should i definitely use it? my actual cap might hold the hair down but it might get wrecked if i take it off or someone bumps into it or somethin
>>
>>9484894
>meathead like myself
what does that have to do with anything? im a guy as well and taught myself how to cut and style wigs just from youtube videos.

>its not gonna clog the bathroom sink
why do it in the sink? just do it in a garage or something.

>is a wig cap and wig glue a meme
what does that even mean?

the purpose of a wig cap and wig glue is to secure it on your head. are you trying to imply that those two are myths and they serve no purpose at all?

well whatever, good luck and i hope you dont end up in a bad cosplay thread.
>>
>>9484907

i see lots of people not using a cap or glue so im not sure if its worth the hassle.

im in the uk which has the worst homes in the west by a massive margin so no garages here. the bathroom is the only place with a mirror i can cut.
>>
>>9484915
Do not put wig fibers down your drain. They are not hair, they are plastic and will fuck up your plumbing. Get a wig head and let the fibers fall on the ground. Sweep or vacuum up the fibers when you're done. Wig caps are used most often to keep all of your real hair in place. If have hair that might poke out from under the wig, get a wig cap. If your wig is a lace front (which no one has recommend you get), you need glue. Otherwise, use bobby pins to secure the wig to your real hair.

Do some basic fucking googling dude, you're not the first to cosplay.
>>
This is kind of tangentially related to cosplay, but I posted some wigs for sale in the largest FB wig sales group and I got this message. The Admins of the page don't know why it's happening either and they didn't veto it. It's still showing up in the group, but it's showing me this message every time I look at my sales post. It's literally two wigs, so I don't know what the issue is.

Has anyone run into this before?
>>
>>9485004
Maybe there's a keyword that's triggering it in your description? What's the the copy you're trying to use?
>>
>>9485006
I thought about that and scanned my post, but it's all wig terminology. There's nothing weird in it that references drugs, weapons, body parts, etc. I have no idea. The only thing I can POSSIBLY think of is maybe saying the wig has a skin top? But that's fairly common? Idfk
>>
File: image.jpg (1005KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1005KB, 2592x1936px
I got a payday Horton mask that I used for a cosplay
Last year,the day after I used it I got it signed by the voice actor for Hoxton,I want to wear the mask again but I don't want to smudge the signature,also there's no breathing hole so it gets hot quickly ,pic related
>>
File: plshelp.png (16KB, 956x381px) Image search: [Google]
plshelp.png
16KB, 956x381px
Any ideas of how to keep my horn standing up (left)? I finally found a way to keep it secured around my head through transparent straps but it flops down (right). I've tried eyelash glue to keep it up but it doesn't stick quite right because of the heaviness. Any suggestions of some other glue on skin? Excuse the doodle.
>>
>>9485030
buy a new mask

>>9485052
whats the horn made out of?
>>
>>9485052
Spirit gum? Fashion tape? Add another elastic htat goes down the center of your scalp?
>>
File: billy1.jpg (92KB, 415x768px) Image search: [Google]
billy1.jpg
92KB, 415x768px
>>9484714
>>9484844
>fleece
I honestly don't like the look of it, it looks really cheap.

I'm trying to be different here, and I'm envisioning the piece as more armor-like. I'm trying to give the costume a realism feel as well, so making it have a practical protection purpose to the headpiece makes more sense to me.
>>
File: IMG_5605.jpg (184KB, 515x396px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5605.jpg
184KB, 515x396px
So I'm wanting to cosplay this Snow Miku, but I'm stuck on what fabric to use as well as what to do for the bottom hem (the green trim) but I'll probably put a wire through it.

I was thinking for the fabric maybe a fleece or flannel would be cute and fit the outfit best but I worry about if it'll be able to take the shape i need for the short cape and the bottom half. I was thinking of making a petticoat for Maximum Floof, but would an interfacing help and if so what kind should I be looking for?

Thanks!
>>
File: Kanon.(KEY).full.376805.jpg (674KB, 1600x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Kanon.(KEY).full.376805.jpg
674KB, 1600x1080px
Might be a very stupid non-cosplay related question, but it isn't quite /fa/, I think?
Just Is there a specific name for this shape of dress?
I was playing around with a friend's cosplay closet and I found this so extremely flattering for my waist and thighs, I want to buy normal dresses in a similar style.
>>
>>9484694
I probably worded it pretty badly but it was wondering what kind of painting techniques i could use to get it looking similar to the pic. Like certain light blue over dark or something not actually glowing
>>
>>9484703
Thank you so much. This was my main concern with the cosplay so now I feel like I can breathe easy for a bit.
>>
>>9485317
Fit and flare/skater dresses. They were pretty popular like 4 years ago?
>>
File: il_fullxfull.255296437[1].jpg (297KB, 1500x493px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.255296437[1].jpg
297KB, 1500x493px
>>9485368
yeah youre gonna have to paint it light blue in contrast with darker colors.

I really hope you know how to paint, otherwise its just gonna look like a light blue gun with smudges of dark colors.that will just look like shit.

maybe you can look at paintings of the northern lights/aurora borealis to get some inspirations
>>
>>9485422
Helpful, thank you. I'm not American or from any known country, really. that trend didn't catch around here yet, we usually come 30 years late to everything.
>>
Any difference between wearing a wig for women and that for men if you'll style it yourself(like, are men's wigs fluffier and thicker or something)?

kinda hard finding ones for men, as they're usually made for fat, middle aged balding pieces of shit and not for cosplay, and women's wigs are 10x more common anyway and cheaper due to how much more they sell and how baldass losers pay up the nose for a fucking toupee.
>>
>>9485445
Where the fuck are you buying wigs. Arda and epic have plenty of short styles meant for cosplay
>>
>>9485445
just buy whatever cosplay wig that fits your needs.
if you need short hair, buy a short hair wig.

also, mens wigs or toupees are generally more expensive because the type of material they use. a short hair toupee is going to look much more realistic than a short hair cosplay wig you buy at a place like arda wigs.
>>
>>9485463

I'm not amurican.
>>
File: IMG_20170519_085633.jpg (486KB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170519_085633.jpg
486KB, 3024x4032px
I've been wanting to.cosplay as something cool for my body type but I can't find anything.
I was thinking maybe a dwarf but idk seems hard to pull off a legit dwarf.
I'm 5'7. Any recommendations Pls? I need your expertise
. I'm too short for jojos bizarre adventure models I think. Pls help
>>
>>9485543
You can still be a cool dwarf look into how they proportioned the clothes in the Hobbit films to make those guys look shorter.

Or check out Rider from Fate Zero
>>
>>9485560
Rider looks awesome but. I fear I'll habe problems with his cape to body proportions cause of my Manlet status lol. Should I just make the cape smaller. I'll prlly have to roid more for that one lol.
>>
I need advice. I'm planning on doing a cosplay, but seeing it be done by so many, and seeing them do it much better, makes me doubt doing it at all. I'm also starting to lose interest in that character. What do?
>>
>>9485543
Check out the cosplayer MetalSlimer for inspiration, he has a similar body type and he's pretty short iirc.
>>
>>9485688
WTF is wrong with you dude lol
do whatever you want to do
actually I always think the same like "I'll not be able to beat this chick in that costume she already made this character perfectly" but then I think that she's not in my country or sold that costume years ago and anyway I love this character probably even more so I just do my best and hope sometimes I'll be recognized as "The best cosplay of character A".
Always try to break the limits, but break your own and someday you'll probably beat anyone else too. I don't like going easy way and do simple sailorfuku but it'll grow your portfolio so it's not bad at all.
>>
>>9485052
If your horn touches your wig hairline, you can glue a bobby pin or two at the bottom of the horn so you have extra support that way.

>>9485117
Ok, so no fleece. Maybe EVA foam with plastidip on top? Would look rubbery like latex and is easily paintable.
>>
What's the general age at a convention?

Never been to one, and I got the feeling that if I were to go I'd have to bear a really awkward atmosphere because of age difference.
>>
File: wig.jpg (302KB, 1536x760px) Image search: [Google]
wig.jpg
302KB, 1536x760px
>>9485464

I need a pony tail and medium, boyish bangs.

Looks like I underestimated how fluffy women's wigs can be, this will be a bit of a pain to style for a beginner.

Also I am now aware I would make a seriously bad drag queen, though I think I'd be an alright lesbian.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (40KB, 510x287px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
40KB, 510x287px
has anyone done a gerudo link costume yet? absolutely new to cosplay and have no idea where to start
>>
>>9485782
though there really isnt a "general age" for any convention, Anime conventions definitely have a much younger demographic. you'll see a whole lot more people in their teens to late 20s.

comic conventions, you literally see all kinds of age groups.

Honestly though, I dont see why you think your age matters. Nobody is going to give a shit unless youre like some 50 year old whos trying to randomly hang out with a bunch of young teens.
>>
>>9485837
>no idea where to start

learn how to sew
learn how to make patterns
learn how to style wigs
learn the difference between different types of fabric so you know what to use on your cosplays

once you get all of that down, then maybe you can get started on your gerudo link cosplay.
>>
>>9485867

id say by the time you're 30 it's still cool to cosplay, but you shouldn't be trying to hanging out with those 15 year old girls in their sailor/re zero outfits or whatever.

especially as a guy, especially in the mid-late 30s. There are tons of 20 somethings to hang out with.
>>
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but does anyone know any good japanese-language lolita or cosplay forums? Anonymous or not, I don't mind
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-20-12-57-53.png (1MB, 1440x2108px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-20-12-57-53.png
1MB, 1440x2108px
I'm fairly new to cosplaying and I don't have any time to make stuff unless its very simple

I found my dream cosplay online but as I scroll down I see the dreaded words

Not available

What can I do now? Is there any other way to obtain this? I hope to make it in time for AX.

Please help.
>>
>>9485973
Not too sure if it'll get to you on time though.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Girls-und-Panzer-Erwin-School-Uniform-Set-Cosplay-Costume-M006/32790841019.html
>>
>>9485988
How very odd. I could have swore I was just on that site and it didn't have it. Thanks though. I'll look into it.
>>
Best adhesive to use to stick worbla to worbla? I've already tried sticking it to itself, but it just won't hold. e6000 wont cure properly (its been incredibly warm and maybe it's just too humid?).
Got desperate and even used hot glue which didnt really work for obvious reasons. Pls help kind anons.
>>
>>9485776
I think EVA foam may work. I'd just need to make sure the helmet sits on my head snugly. I thought about using a motorcycle helmet/batting helmet so I don't have to fuck with shaping it.

>plastidip
Tell me more. Would I just make a base shape, cover it in plastidip, then slide it off once it hardens? I've never heard of the stuff before.
>>
For photos taken on a DSLR camera, how would you put them into LINE Camera (the phone app) to add stickers, borders, etc?
>>
>>9486365
>I've already tried sticking it to itself, but it just won't hold
really? are you heating it up enough, mashing it together and letting it cool completely?

>>9486439
>then slide it off once it hardens
not that anon that told you about plastidip but plastidip doesnt work that way. you spray plastidip onto EVA foam to seal it so you can paint over it. think of it as a primer but in rubber form so it has that rubber looking finish to it.

>>9486444
ive never used line camera before but ill try to help you anyways. im guessing it takes pictures off your phone storage so you can edit them with that app?
if so, you will need a DSLR that has wifi on it so you can connect your smartphone with it and send pictures to it.
>>
>>9486473
>think of it as a primer but in rubber form so it has that rubber looking finish to it.

Ohh I see. Well the helmet (the white part) itself wouldn't be rubber looking, I'd more want it to have a metal/hard plastic appearance with a coat of white paint on top. Hence why I thought of using a motorcycle helmet as the hard white shell.

The only part I think should look like rubber is the red comb. With reference to actual chickens, their combs are fleshy, so I think a rubber comb for the headpiece would be a good analog.
>>
>>9486488
depending on how you paint and finish the piece, you can make armor pieces thats coated in plastidip look like hard plastic.

have you actually tried experimenting with different methods yet? because sometimes ideas may sound good on paper but when you actually try them out, it might give you results that you probably wont like.
>>
>>9486473
Worbla anon here, I've heated up both pieces plenty and it sticks to itself for a bit, but once it gets bumped a bit it pops right off, so I'm just kind of stumped. It's craft foam sanwiched between worbla, maybe that's making it more difficult?
>>
Sorry for the late replies, I appreciate all of them though!

>>9485085
It's pre-made but it seems like some type of plastic, it's light weight.

>>9485105
I'm going to try these as a back up to >>9485776 which is probably the plan I am going to try and see for this con coming up this weekend. Thank you again!
>>
>>9486540
>It's craft foam sanwiched between worbla, maybe that's making it more difficult?

thats a common thing people use worbla for and ive done that for a few pieces and never had that problem before.
are you forgetting to smooth out the seams/edges so it looks like one solid piece?
>>
You guys got any suggestions on what wig/glasses I should get for Joker from Persona 5? I'm just gonna get those and put together something resembling his casual summer outfit since Florida is hot as balls and also I'm poor; will probably look into doing the Phantom Thief outfit in the future

I know I'll have to touch up the wig to make it look all frizzy too. Any tips for that?
>>
File: IMG_8076.jpg (66KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8076.jpg
66KB, 1024x1024px
>>9479371
>>9479231
Update for the Rowley cosplay: got the EVA foam and the heat gun:

Realized I forgot to get something that'll prevent the head from going haywire. Would this do the trick (still gonna cover it with foil and put it over the helmet once it's done) or is that redundant?

Open for suggestions as well.

Going to be starting painting the shirt also. What do you guys usually use to keep the shirt in place while drying up? I usually use tool clamps and a wood board to hold it in place while I stenciled in the design on poster board, but I don't live in a place that has those tools anymore.
>>
Somebody knows the name of this dress? I saw it on printerest but there was no further information except that it was sold on closetchild once. I really need it ;______;
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
>>9486907
Some people use hard hat suspension for that purpose. It'd probably be less obtrusive than a full helmet would.
>>
>>9486772
For the glasses, Zenni Optical sells cheap frames. But if you want to save even more money, you could go to the drugstore and try to find sunglasses with the right frames, and just pop the lenses out. His glasses are so big they look more like sunglasses than regular glasses.
>>
>>9486488
Anon that suggested plastidip here, why not make the comb seperately and use different methods on the helmet part and comb part? That way you can make the comb with plastidip and the helmet with other methods. Do you need the helmet to BE rigid or just LOOK rigid? Because you can just paint EVA foam with a primer, some white spray paint and a glossy top coat and it'll look like a hard helmet, while still being soft.
>>
>>9483878
Adding to this, you can also slip a pair of heels inside thigh-highs and cut a hole for the heel, then glue the edges of the hole along the seem where the sole and heel attack (to look uniform). It's what I did for a character whose catsuit has built-in heels.

>>9484950
>Get a wig head and let the fibers fall on the ground.
Also adding to this: be careful and make sure you try on the wig before cutting and styling it because not all people heads are equal and not all foam heads are accurately sized. Cut the bangs longer than you feel they need to be cut, put the wig on (don't need to throw on a cap or secure it since you're just checking styling), then adjust as you see fit. You don't want to end up cutting things too short and ruining your wig just because your wig head is smaller than your actual head.
>>
File: IMG_1784.jpg (738KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1784.jpg
738KB, 2560x1920px
Please help me seagulls. The pigtail wig clips do not stay clipped into my wig. It pinches into the wig slightly and falls over. I noticed with other pigtail clips, they have a larger clip compared to mine. The net is also very tight. Any suggestions?
>>
Is it a terrible idea to do a half zipper up the back of a dress? Think a side zipper, the neckhole will be closed and the zipper will start halfway down the back. I'll be getting dressed by myself (forever alone) so I need to be able to reach the whole thing myself. I'll probably have the zipper face down so the pull won't get tangled in the wig?

>>9487228
Can you put some bobby pins or alligator clips into the base wig, maybe through the cap to your hair, to provide grip for the clip?
>>
File: il_340x270.808399321_e5jl.jpg (18KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.808399321_e5jl.jpg
18KB, 340x270px
This is my first time attempting armor, and I'm not really sure where to start. I know what I want the pieces to look like, and it all is somewhat basic looking, but I don't know how to start patterning things out, especially the shoulder armor. Mine will be spiked out instead of curved like most tutorials I see. Any good templates or anything?

pic related. similar but not exact
>>
>>9487341
just start drawing out whatever shape your armor is onto copy/xerox/printer paper since those kinds of paper is super cheap.
cut it out and tape it together to get a mock armor piece.

when youre satisfied with it then you can transfer it to something like EVA foam.
>>
File: Untitled.png (13KB, 552x500px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
13KB, 552x500px
>>9486504
Ah ok I haven't used the stuff before so I don't know how it works. I haven't tried anything yet, mostly just trying to rough out ideas and then go ahead and try some things out. I'm trying to make a general outline of how I'm going to tackle it.

>>9487026
That's actually what I was thinking to do. I intended to make the white helmet and the red comb as separate pieces so that I can make them from different materials, then attach the comb to the helmet.

More or less I just intend the helmet to look rigid, not actually be rigid. If I can make EVA foam look like hard plastic/metal, then I would probably do that.

My question is now, how would I make the comb? Would I fuck with latex by making a mold first?
>>
>>9487469
>My question is now, how would I make the comb?

why do you keep asking this question? many people have already gave you good suggestions.
I dont know why youre trying to make more work for yourself with trying to make it out of latex by using a mold. not only is it more work, youre gonna be spending a whole lot more for such a basic piece.

why not just use shiny lycra fabric or latex fabric and then stuff it?
>>
>>9487509
>why do you keep asking this question?

I didn't like the fleece idea and I got sidetracked with the plastidip and how it worked. >>9485776
anon's idea I think would work though it would end up leaving the comb pretty rigid (since it's being made with EVA foam), whereas I think it should have some flexibility to it.

>I don't know why you're trying to make more work for yourself with trying to make it out of latex
Not saying that's the method I want to use, it seems overly laborious, but produces the results I want.

>why not just use shiny lycra fabric or latex fabric and then stuff it?
This I think would work, perhaps red vinyl. I'll figure it out.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170521-175834.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170521-175834.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
So I have everything made and ready but I have no idea how to attach all these armor pieces. I was going to go about heating up the foam. Let it curve to my shoulders then slap some fiberglass resin to hold the shape and harden it. But this is where I get stuck. I don't know how to attach everything to the duster cape thing that sits under it. It's driving me nuts
>>
>>9487733
Magnets
>>
File: attachment[1].png (315KB, 384x477px) Image search: [Google]
attachment[1].png
315KB, 384x477px
Hey, about to start my first ever cosplay. Starting simple (I think) with Jonah Heston but I'm wondering if anyone could direct me to decent coveralls under $100. I've only been able to find pretty crappy looking industrial-use ones that are too baggy and too shiny. If it comes to it, I have some skilled friends who could make one from scratch pretty well but I'd rather spend $30 than ask.
>>
>>9487257
Thank you for the suggestion! The bobby pins got in the way, but I managed to re-do the clip inside and it fit better. If I run into this issue again, I will definitely think of the wig base.
>>
>>9487733
velcro or magnets
>>
File: wellalright.png (494KB, 594x803px) Image search: [Google]
wellalright.png
494KB, 594x803px
Could anyone tell me what kind of sleeve this is? It looks pleated but I have no idea.
>>
>>9488020
looks like a puff bottom sleeve, its made with gathering at the bottom instead of the top.
>>
>>9487737
alternatively, I'm also considering buying this white coverall for $20 (the style is pretty much perfect) and dying it yellow. does this seem feasible? I've never dyed before and not sure how challenging it is to make it look decent.

The white coverall is twill and I'd be dying a solid canary yellow.

any other advice or suggestions?
>>
File: IMG_3498.jpg (1MB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3498.jpg
1MB, 4000x2667px
Where do I buy a cheap randoseru for cosplay? I can only find authentic ones.
>>
File: 20170522_224355.jpg (95KB, 1342x848px) Image search: [Google]
20170522_224355.jpg
95KB, 1342x848px
Trying to figure out a pattern for the "skirt" part of pic related and I can't quite figure out the proportions. Is what I have too wide? Which parts would I need to make longer/shorter to make it the right shape?
>>
>>9488349
Best is to make the small skirt first and simply sketch and cut it out real size on paper, then fit to see what makes the best shape on you.
I do this a lot and just tape on more paper if its not quite the shape i wanted.
>>
Looking to make a mermaid petticoat to support the skirt for a cosplay I'm making, would it be a dumb idea to just take one of those cheap party store/square dancing pettis, remove the elastic waistband, and add a stretchy pencil skirt to the top (gathering or elongating as needed)? Not sure if I'm overlooking any obvious issues.

As a side note, I'm super short so usually the premade ones don't sit properly on me, and I don't really have enough time to wait on month-long shipping from ebay/aliexpress anyways.
>>
>>9485688
Make your cosplay the best you can make it. Take the time, do the research, invest in the best materials you can. If you do that, you have nothing to be ashamed of. Literally all you can do is the best you can do. If you see someone else's cosplay and think, "Oh man! Theirs looks so much better!" just remind yourself that you did the best you could with your time, talents and resources. You can always improve. We all started somewhere.
>>
>>9485834
There are wigs made specifically for ponytails and specific techniques to make it look good. Start googling. Its not as simple as sweeping hair into a ponytail with a wig.
>>
I'm going to cosplay a western character for a first time and I've been wondering this: is it weird or does it make me look more like the character if I try to use make up to look like the actress of my character? Do I just replicate her make up for the character, like the same shade of lipstick and same volume of lashes etc. or do I also try to get my facial features to look the same? And if yes, can you go overboard with this? Do I just use shading to get the same face shape or do I also make the same moles/scars/etc that the actor has but that are not part of the character design? There are probably a lot of opinions to this but I've never done this kind of cosplay so I'd like to hear what you think
>>
>>9488586
Contouring usually doesn't end well unless it's really subtle.
>>
>>9488549
The party store kind might not have the volume you want
>>
>>9488586
There's no definitive right answer here, just do a makeup test and see which way looks better.
>>
Ok I need help gulls

Working on an alchemist prop, need to fill up those bottles with liquid. Except I don't want to use liquid because it'll spill/dry out. Any way I can fill it with a colored transparent solid? What can I use?
>>
>>9488586
/cgl/ hates stuff like contouring but if you can apply makeup well then definitely try to make yourself look like the actress. You'll be much more recognizable.
>>
>>9488657
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=121338
>>
>>9488666
cgl hates contouring because when its done poorly it looks very bad. It is definitely an advanced make-up technique, and many people who cosplay are touching make-up for the first time. Most people would look better with simpler make-up to start out with and building their skills over time.
>>
File: Sweetsion.png (716KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Sweetsion.png
716KB, 1366x768px
Inexperienced with makeup and face/body paint. Does anyone have any cheap recommendations I could use for pic related?
>>
>>9488657
if you don't need the bottles back, coloured casting resin
>>
Is there any good software for designing and previewing patterns? What do pros use?

Doesn't matter if it's paid or not, but if there's a decent free option it'd be nice.
>>
>>9488700
Matte blush or eyeshadow in pink or red. If you want body paint, Snazaroo is very cheaper and you can find it in places like Michael's or Joann Fabrics. Make sure to set whatever you use (usually with setting spray or powder).
>>
File: unnamed (7).png (82KB, 261x360px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (7).png
82KB, 261x360px
Looking to style this wig. I feel like I've seen some similar tutorials before but for the life of me I can't find them now, if anyone has anything it'd be a huge help.
>>
File: IMG_7283.jpg (83KB, 580x603px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7283.jpg
83KB, 580x603px
I just got a wig I commissioned in the mail and a good chunk of the styling was lost. The con is this upcoming weekend and I have no choice but to fix it myself. I'm kinda pissed.
>>
>>9489019
whats it suppose to look like?

this is exactly why I dont like buying commissioned wigs just in case shit happens like this. I just learned how to style wigs myself.
>>
>>9489033
It's supposed to be Seras from Hellsing.
>>
for colored wigs, do people recommend painting/coloring eyebrows to match the wig? I have very dark black eyebrows and the wig is going to be white. Should I do something about it?
>>
>>9489375
Yes Google se tutes. But the most important part is having clean, not too thick brows. Most characters just have lines for brows so a darker version of the color usually looks beat. Don't make them totally white it just looks creepy
>>
>>9489386
googling se tutes got me a bunch of stuff about Java Programming,
but I get the idea, I should find a washable body paint I can use to tone it down to maybe a lighter grey if I understand right
>>
>>9479231
Any suggestions on the hair to build? Am I better off making cylinders out of the eva foam and heat those to make the hair strands seen here >>9479234?

Also, gonna keep things faithful to the books for the cosplay and found a white bodysuit for the cosplay.

Should that suffice or is that overkill since I'm only going to be covering my arms and legs?
>>
A few dumb questions from a first time masq competitor here: Is it expected that you wear your same masq costume for the awards ceremony etc the next day? What about in the case of costumes better suited to the stage than to wearing through the day, sitting in audiences, etc? Do you know in advance of the ceremony if you've won anything?
>>
>>9489563
I think that varies from convention to convention. I've won once and I didn't know in advance so I was out of costume (big, hulking and hot), even asked the people on the way to the stage if I had to get back in but they were fine with it.

Just ask them I guess!
>>
>>9489735
Makes sense, thank you!
>>
File: 736EMQE1.jpg (7KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
736EMQE1.jpg
7KB, 240x240px
How do you guys store and transport your completed wigs? Do you just leave them on a styrofoam head in your car or what?
>>
>>9489019
>>9489334
Wow this is really bad, I hope this didn't cost much to you...
>>
>>9489959
The wig was $30 and I paid the commissioner $65 for the styling. I'm still struggling to style it has we speak.
>>
File: Raven_-_Revelator.png (477KB, 768x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Raven_-_Revelator.png
477KB, 768x1100px
I'm cosplaying as pic related and I'm kind of stuck on what to do for the white portions on his shirt thing. I was originally thinking of sewing it on but I think that would look too flat, the design is supposed to look a little raised. Maybe using 2mm craft foam?
>>
File: Raybun.png (1MB, 1887x1045px) Image search: [Google]
Raybun.png
1MB, 1887x1045px
>>9490005
Here's a better picture for a clearer reference.
>>
>>9488669
Wow this is perfect thank you!
>>
>>9489841
stand up the styrofoam heads in a sewing machine case!
>>
>>9490005
>>9490006
Overlapping strips of thick white pleather/vinyl, sewing together at the sides
>>
>>9490034

thx
>>
File: yang.png (376KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
yang.png
376KB, 600x750px
What kind of material would be good for Yang coat?
>>
>>9488743
Thanks a lot!
>>
>>9490003
was the commissioner actually good at styling wigs and it was just unfortunate that it got damaged during shipping?
>>
>>9488076
Thanks, that helps a lot!
>>
>>9489506
Also, am I better off making the size fitting my head or make the head comically, yet reasonably, big?
>>
>>9490122
I wasn't 100% happy with the styling when she sent the final product picture but the shipping definitely fucked it up three times as bad. I ended up having to douse the wig in water and start from scratch.
>>
Uh as a guy what do I need to know in regards to doing make-up for cosplay? When I asked in the previous thread someone linked me to Wayne Goss's youtube, which while very comprehensive is intimidating as there's years of videos there! Is there something like a "Here's what you need for your cosplay not to look like shit, here's where to buy it, here's how to use it etc. " resource? When I looked up cos-playing make-up guy I got videos on crossplay, is that good enough?
>>
>>9490580
Interested in this too. There's a lot of stuff on crossplay, but seems to be a lot less on cosplay for guys.
I'd imagine you'd need foundation, but it seems like the rest is pretty fuzzy on what you need
>>
File: kkk.png (913KB, 771x542px) Image search: [Google]
kkk.png
913KB, 771x542px
I'm cosplaying Shinji from Fate/Extra but I'm not sure what wig should I get.

Mostly because of the tone of blue, the blue on his sprite it's lighter than the one on his model.

Which one would look better?
(Also, what kind of wig would be the most suitable for styling that kind of hairstyle?)
>>
File: teddie-concepts.jpg (90KB, 1000x730px) Image search: [Google]
teddie-concepts.jpg
90KB, 1000x730px
Brother's first con and he wants to join our Persona 4 group and cosplay Teddie. I have no clue where to start and Google hasn't helped much. Any advice?
>>
>>9490081
Is she... farting in this picture?
>>
>>9490836
>Google hasn't helped much
why do you have to lie?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mascot+cosplay+tutorial
>>
File: 1494469768427.png (356KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494469768427.png
356KB, 960x720px
I want to make Lucoa's horns, any tutorials on how to do so?
I was going to buy them but I want to try and make them first.
>>
File: image.jpg (116KB, 868x1420px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116KB, 868x1420px
What sort of fabric should I make the clothes from? I don't want it to be super hot because I'm likely wearing this cosplay for spring and summer cons, but then I don't wanna like...lose body in the fabric if that makes sense. Also, if anyone would like to share their fave places to get faux fur, I'm listening.
>>
>>9490878
Linen or Linen-look fabric. Usually just thick enough wit ha rough woven pattern that adds a little dimension. Also line the cape with something really light.
>>
>>9490580
>>9490736
YouTube the following How to Apply:
Tutorial
>Foundation
>Mascara
>Setting powder

Lvl 1
>Eyeliner
>Eyeshadow

Lvl 2
>Concealer
>Eyebrow kits

Lvl 3
>Contour
>Blush

Once you got a hang of the Tutorial lvl and find the equipment you need, then advance to adding more and more.

But definitely use foundation to give yourself an even skin tone in photos. Also to enhance your eyes, use some mascara. And setting power for the day in case you get oily.

Then once comfortable, using a bit of eyeshadow and eyeliner can really make your eyes pop for certain characters.

When you're comfortable with that getting some concealer can really help with bags under eyes, stubble or the occasional zit, but blending is key here.
Also making your eyebrows semimatch your wig will also make your cosplay more believable.

Finally contouring and blush can really give your face some awesome dynamic qualities. I wouldn't really explore into this territory unless your comfortable with the above (which shouldn't take long!)

And this is by no means comprehensive, nor do I consider myself any kinda of beauty expert, but this is what I've taught my bf for our cosplays. If you're better taught in person, Sephora or Mac will help you out, and tend not to be judgy.
Also think about searching stage makeup tutorials, there might be something there for you too. Hope this helps a bit.
>>
File: reinhardt-cosplay.jpg (84KB, 600x653px) Image search: [Google]
reinhardt-cosplay.jpg
84KB, 600x653px
Does anyone have any resources on how to make cosplays that are larger than average person sized, pic related?

I can't really think of what to google to try and find aid, so even just the right words to search would be a big help. But any links would be fantastic.
>>
>>9490913
Thanks anon, this is a good break down! stupid question but, if I have a week left till the con, should I still bothering try to learn make-up or should I save it for a later con?
>>
So, I'm super new to cosplay and stuff, and I went ahead and bought my first cosplay, rather then try to make it. When I got it, I realized I had a problem... The dress doesn't fit just right, and being a guy, it will slide all the way down to my hips unless I hold it up. (off the shoulder style dress, and it has no elastic to hold it up)

Should I try to take it to a seamstress and ask if they could fit it better and fix the falling problem? Do you think its possible to fix it?
>>
File: little-nightmares-render.png (106KB, 185x485px) Image search: [Google]
little-nightmares-render.png
106KB, 185x485px
So um. I decided to do a Little Nightmares cosplay and I think I bit off more than I can chew. I'm not too worried about the raincoat but I decided to make some props and I'm having trouble with one in particular.

So the little nome in pic related is something I want to carry around and hug every now and then. I made the "hat" already and I thought I could just buy a cheap little baby doll, paint it, stick its head on the hat and it'd be fine.

It's not fine.

I need something to put over it so it looks more like the actual nome but I'm not sure what material to use. Just some fabric over the doll? The nomes look "hard" but I know they're living things. Should I just buy some plaster and remake the whole damn thing or just try to go with my doll idea? The doll I'm using is like this $6 doll I found at Wal-mart that had a similar pose.

My skill level with cosplay is still kinda noob-ish so I can't sew anything too complex. I considered just making a whole new doll body but I don't know how.
>>
>>9491062
hard to tell for sure without pics but most of the time if it's just too big it's pretty easy to just take in on the sides
plus it would take you literally minutes to add some clear elastic straps if needed
>>
>>9491154
Try buying a doll from the dollar store and give it a few quick passes with a blowtorch to make the plastic body melt and warp to your liking.
>>
File: IMG_8101.jpg (21KB, 150x256px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8101.jpg
21KB, 150x256px
>>9479371
>half almond shapes on top

Like this?
>>
>>9490913
>>9491002
Personally I think I'd recommend adding blush/brownzer before eyeshadow and eyeliner because foundation flattens your features and you need something to redefine your case. Full contouring is definitely an advanced technique, but blush application isn't difficult and and really makes a difference. Obviously my personal preference though.
>>
>>9490003
>>9490520
I can't imagine that this wig ever looked so good that i would pay 65 dollars... But I hope you can make it work before the con, good luck anon! And if you're new with wig styling, try to look up tutorials to help you.
>>
>>9491219
I'm...kind of afraid of fire in large quantities because I'm a faggot. Is there any other way to do this or is this my only option to make it look like the nome?
>>
>>9491857
Any heat source would do (stove, heat gun, etc).
>>
Azfag here, any tips for a S.T.A.L.K.E.R Bandit cosplay?
>>
>>9490922
Can't help you with resources, but this is the group that made that Reinhardt:
http://egg-sisters-cosplay.tumblr.com/tagged/reinhardt

They do have a lot of in-progress shots so you can see how they did it. Honestly I'd just google Reinhardt cosplays since they're definitely not the only ones. Maybe google Gundam cosplays, too? Temjin is a namefag on /cgl/ who shows off his Gundam stuff on WIP threads so if one of those pops up in the near future you can probably ask him some questions, he's nice.

>>9491384
Basically look at how a beachball is made, then slice one of those segments in half. What you drew is approximately the shape you need, you might have to tweak it for extra/less curve.
>>
>>9491865
Well I do have a heat gun so I'll try that out. Thanks.
>>
>>9490922
>>9491954
There have been mech cosplay threads on here before, check the archives.
>>
>>9491857
what are you trying to do? heat up a plastic doll to make it look wrinkly like that character in the picture? you can try it but i dont think youre gonna get the results you want.

personally i would use liquid latex and spread it over something rough and bumpy like a slightly scrunched up sheet of foil to give it those groves and stuff. then go over it with a nice dark wash to give it more depth.
>>
>>9491924
We can help you more if you post a reference image and ask more specific questions.
>>
>>9490913

foundation and contouring and maybe subtle blush(if youre caucasian) is fine for men.

eyeshadow and eyeliner is going into faggot/drag queen territory
>>
I have a dark brown beard and I need it to be blonde for my costume.

Without resorting to hair dyes, is there a way I could color my beard blonde? Preferably something waterproof.
>>
File: e67fc20054e0e6f70a799bd47b151f2a.jpg (108KB, 1000x766px) Image search: [Google]
e67fc20054e0e6f70a799bd47b151f2a.jpg
108KB, 1000x766px
>>9492123
You could get some blonde highlight/root cover up spray (pic related is an example) and spray some into a cup, then brush it onto your beard & comb it through.
Related thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=196242
>>
im pulling together this quick cosplay (aka the dress, wig, and a few details like bows and garter belt) for a cgl meetup since i dont want to get alcohol or food on my actual day cosplays while out at night. thing is, i dont have pink contact lenses. i just wanted to ask you guys if i would be better off going purple or red. red would makes sense bc muh crazy yandere but i think purple looks more cutesy and closest to pink. thanks !
>>
How do I got about looking for commissions?

I don't really know where to start and who to trust. I'm in the LA area if that helps. Does anyone have recommendations.

I'm looking to make this jacket here. I want that pattern that seems like corduroy and all those straps on the sleeves. Don't want to end up committing to something and ending up being disappointed.
>>
File: 15457822689_10e7b17130_b.jpg (186KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
15457822689_10e7b17130_b.jpg
186KB, 1024x576px
>>9492282
Forgot image.
>>
File: kqbtd.png (164KB, 364x357px) Image search: [Google]
kqbtd.png
164KB, 364x357px
What would be the easiest way for a total beginner to make a Killer Queen mask/helmet? It doesn't need to be perfect, but the smoother the better
>>
>>9492469
print out a picture of his face on paper, cut out eye holes, attach rubber bands to the sides to attach it to your face.

you dont have to worry about sanding or anything because the paper is smooth.
>>
>>9492259
It's a quick cosplay, why even bother wearing contact lenses? It's going to be a bigger hassle to get them out and clean/store properly when you're drunk or hungover from the meetup.
>>
>>9492475
When I said mask/helmet I meant something that covers the entire head, similar to a motorcycle helmet.
>>
>>9492282
>>9492286
join your local fb cosplay sale groups, most cosplay sale groups have an approved list of commissioners and their specialties. Get a quote from a couple artists and pick your fav
>>
>>9491201
do you have a throwaway email I could send a pic over too? I kinda dont want to post it here.. Im too afraid of backlash
>>
>>9492615
Fashion tape might give you enough hold so you don't need to alter it.
You could wear a "bra" or something under your dress that DOES stay up and just add a bit of stick velcro to that and the dress so you don't need to alter it and have something that'll help it stay up.
As said, if you want to add clear elastic straps, just use a measuring tape to measure where you want the top of the front and back of your dress to be over your shoulder, add seam allowance and sew in.

Turn it inside out, pin it tighter along the seams then take it off and sew in.

Pretty easy fix. Gluck.
>>
So im going to be attending a "summerween" party and the theme is post apocalyptic shit, and the cool part is everyone has to bring a weapon (real) as a part of the cosplay.

So i was thinking of a plague doctor or a steampunk ninja, or something else, i dont know i still got a month to think about what i costume im going to buy.

Any ideas? or where i can buy this shit from?
>>
File: IMG_6473.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6473.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
Does anyone know if her jacket is based off of a guy's uniform or is it something else?
>>
>>9492020
Well I've gotten most of it sorted out, I just need a good S.T.A.L.K.E.R esque gas mask and some cheap slav shit tactical gear.
>>
>>9492863
It's based on a long gakuran jacket, which gets associated with delinquents. The cap is also a Jojo reference.
>>
>>9492504
Helmets are really hard to make. Save this for when you're more experienced or give yourself a lot of time to do this project.
>>
>>9492504
use multiple sheets of paper
>>
>>9492870
Thank you so much!
>>
File: shoulderreference2013212321.jpg (723KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
shoulderreference2013212321.jpg
723KB, 2560x1440px
Ive gotten past making the helmet and currently sizing the platebody for Shovel Knight, but Im having issue with the shoulders.

The gold trim seems simple enough considering its just a slightly bigger outline, im just having trouble with the initial segment.

Any help welcome
>>
>>9492504
Then do your homework and figure out how to make a helmet through the wealth of tutorials available online.

You'll never stop being a beginner until you actually try.
>>
>>9493341
maybe you could do something like this for the gold trim?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INaY9sLHyhs
skip to around the 2:25 mark when he talks about the trip around the turtle shell.
then the actual shoulder piece, I guess you can just treat it like youre making giant rounded helmets for your shoulders.
>>
File: gb401.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gb401.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
Question:
I'm doing Noriko from Gunbuster and the leotard is super high cut. What the fuck do I wear as underwear? I have nude dance tights but normal underwear shows through and peeks out under the cut of the leotard, and I'm not going to just buss it open for Otakon. I'd consider a thong but it would make for suspicious underwear lines under the leotard.

What do?
>>
>>9493585
Get some seamless nude-colored underwear. I have Calvin Klein Invisibles and that shit is truly invisible.
>>
>>9493547

thanks, ill use that for the best as well
>>
File: A09.gif (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
A09.gif
2MB, 500x375px
>>9493594
Will look into them, thanks anon!
>>
>>9492647
Thanks!
>>
>>9493585
c-string thong
>>
What does /cgl/ use to bevel your EVA foam? Stuck between fresh snap knives and a dremel. Doesn't seem like one could get a wide bevel with a dremel without it looking messy, but the thought of making a mistake with the knives scares me.
>>
how do people who make armor get the pattern if none are available?
do you try to get a screenshot of the anime and do gimp perspective tool until it's head-on or something?
>>
>>9493614
np! good luck on your cosplay anon, Gunbuster is GOAT
>>
File: c-andykaufman2.jpg (31KB, 388x489px) Image search: [Google]
c-andykaufman2.jpg
31KB, 388x489px
I'm sure this has been asked before many times, but what software would you recommend for making your own patterns/templates?

I plan on ripping a 3d model from a video game, re-scaling the armor to match my dimensions in something like solidworks, then making templates so I can cut it out from eva foam.
>>
>>9493659
depending on the kind of bevel I need, i use a sharp blade (i mostly use just a box cutter like what you posted) or a dremel tool. though i tend to use a dremel tool for everything.
I used to use a sanding block but it just takes too long. that was before I was able to afford a dremel.

>Doesn't seem like one could get a wide bevel with a dremel without it looking messy
sure you can. like with everything, it just takes practice.
>but the thought of making a mistake with the knives scares me.
again, just practice. practice on scraps of eva foam.
I never understood why people think they can/should get everything right the first time through. i suppose there are gifted ones that can do that but really, just practice.

>>9493664
tons of references. try to get as many angles of it as possible.
as for the patterns. tons of drawing and trial and error. i try to break down the pieces and try to visualize the armor its its basic form. as in, trying to ignore all the fancy detail and shit on it and just look at the shapes of the pieces.
then when you have all of that down, then you can start thinking about the details.
its a longer process but this is what works for me. some people are more talented and can just visualize the shape right away and put it down on paper but unfortunately im not on that level yet.
though the process can be sped up if the character has an armor thats based on real life armor or something that looks similar to another characters armor that has been done a bunch of times before. in those cases, you can just find patterns of those and just tweak them.

what kind of armor were you planning on making by the way?

>>9493683
pepakura is what most people use in your situation.
>>
File: Jojolion 2017.png (1MB, 685x990px) Image search: [Google]
Jojolion 2017.png
1MB, 685x990px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahLXU82l2sA
I'm going to follow this video with an old sewing machine to make a seifuku top for pic related. I've never sewn before so I want to know which material would be best for making into a seifuku, I've heard cotton is good so I was thinking about either buying white cotton fabric sheets and dyeing them with my Rit purple and Teal or buying Purple and Teal cotton sheets. The seifuku I bought online for a previous cosplay was made from polyester which I heard is terrible for dyeing. Help me decide what fabric I should get
>>
File: IMG_20170526_075018.jpg (756KB, 2026x2031px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170526_075018.jpg
756KB, 2026x2031px
>>9493809
I'm trying to make Bell's first chest plate from danmachi
There are a ton if patterns for the other one in a completely different style, but not this one.
Also not a lot of head on shots. My first run was to take a 3/4 shot and mirror it on itself, but that's a little too short and narrow.
It should have a straight piece in the middle between the diagonal lines at the bottom
>>
It's been a while since I worked with eva foam for armor, and I wanted to get a clarification of the order of steps.

It's heat forming -> sealing -> priming -> painting, correct?

And another question: What is the sturdiest way to connect two pieces of eva foam together?
>>
>>9494107
The guide I saw says hot glue + sanding
>>
>>9494107
>>9494120
god please dont use hotglue. Use contact rubber, contact cement or contact glue (whatever fits that description that uses neophrene basis)
>>
>>9494107
>It's heat forming -> sealing -> priming -> painting, correct?
generally, yes.

>What is the sturdiest way to connect two pieces of eva foam together?
contact cement. when using it, make sure you put it on both connecting sides and let it get tacky before connecting it, otherwise it wont stick well. theres a ton of guides on eva foam + contact cement if you need more info on that.

Ive never been a fan with using hot glue. I feel like it doesnt hold as well, nowhere close to how contact cement holds. and if you add too much, youre gonna have to sand it down when it oozes out which adds an unnecessary step.
>>
New thread. please use that instead.
>>9494186
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 100

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.