[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resin and indie crafts general 3.0

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 60

File: 20170409_bdc8b7.jpg (68KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
20170409_bdc8b7.jpg
68KB, 480x360px
Old thread: >>9452429
Image source: http://mademoiseryu.ocnk.net/product/40518
Resin, clay crafts, decoden, fiber arts, etc, all welcome
Self-posting is encouraged
>>
Last thread someone was talking about a Chinese UV resin brand they preferred using over Padico. Few questions.

>What brand is that? Where do I get it?
>Not to be racist, but is that safe to use?
>>
>>9469009
I'm not that anon but they could of meant Handcrafter resin
>>
>>9469009
I'm not really sure how that could be racist because there is no problem in being worried about the quality of a product.
>>
>>9469011
*could've
>>
>>9469011
I wonder. That brand is almost the same price as Padico. It doesn't make sense to buy some no name brand over the UV resin brand that pretty much everyone uses.
>>
File: deskpad.jpg (72KB, 901x473px) Image search: [Google]
deskpad.jpg
72KB, 901x473px
>>9469385
Personally I just use Daiso resin. Per ounce it's cheaper. Though the trade off it's small tubes instead of one large container. But it's more convenient for me since I have a few Daiso within driving distance.

Also, what is everybody using to cover their work area?

I bought one of these pads from Ikea and I've found it very useful. It's made of Eva plastic(that's what it says on the site) and I found I can peel dried resin off of it. Also takes quiet a beating. Mines has a bunch of scratches from my exacto blade but I haven't cut through yet. I figure it might be useful for anybody looking for a pad to protect their work area.
>>
I wanted to get a silicone baking sheet but realised they were hella expensive most of the time.
In the end I found a silicone tray bake pan with low sides for a fraction of the price at Aldi (Britfag here) and figured it was a bargain. I was going to cut the sides off but so far they havent caused any problems and actually help with any accidental spills I dont notice immediately.
It's big enough for me to work on quite a few pieces at a time or to allow me to work on one while some others finish up losing the tackyness after popping them out of the mold. I just use baby wipes to clean off any glitter and resin peels off like a dream.
>>
I just saw pics of someone making fake jade out of resin. What kind of pigments do you think would work for this ?
>>
>>9469682
Could you post a photo of it? That would help us identify the pigments more easily
>>
>>9469600
I work with sculpy and i've got the glass out of a picture frame that I put on my desk, as well as a few quilters cutting mats that I use depending on what i'm working on. I like the glass one though because I can put stuff under it so if I'm working with white I can slip a piece of black paper underneath and see a hell of a lot better. It's also easy to clean!
>>
>>9469685
Sure, here's the whole tutorial, however the person kinda glosses over the resin colouring part : https://torguqin.wordpress.com/2012/07/13/dummies-guide-jade-belt/
>>
>>9469706
It's sort of a milky green white. You can buy resin colors in both transparent and opaque colors, it's probably an opaque white mixed with a little green
>>
>>9469385
It's a good deal cheaper for the refills. 500g of Handcrafter is $113, while 50g of Padico is ~$180 if you buy it straight from their site or a Japanese seller (not including shipping from Japan) and $200 if you buy from a reseller
I haven't tried the Handcrafter resin I have yet, I'll give my thoughts and if I hate it, I'll suck it up and go back to Padico. Speaking of different resins, I came across a Japanese video on YouTube comparing the viscosity of various UV resins and now I can't find it and it makes me mad because I found a store on Rakuten selling resins other than Padico
>>
>>9470230
>while 50g of Padico is ~$180 if you buy it straight from their site or a Japanese seller (not including shipping from Japan)

What. 100g of Padico refill is ~48$, even if you add EMS shipping it would still be around 70$, not 200.
>>
>>9472076
Meant 500g, typo, sorry. I opened my 500g bottle of Handcrafter if anyone wants my opinion on it, and found that video comparing the viscosity of resins
https://youtu.be/9GlgLYekdMo
The lowest viscosity appears to be Tsurupika resin, which is ¥873 for a 25g bottle on Rakuten, probably going to pick that up soon. They also make a soft type (Puyopuyo) and say you can mix them to vary the hardness
>>
Does anyone have experience with pigment splitting from the resin? I'm using padico uv and their resin dye,it only seems to happen with the white pigment.
>>
>>9472920
Yeah, I'm having the same issue, it's ends up stringy no matter how much I mix it
>>
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>9473235
Eh, they're generic and tacky but I don't see any reason issues with the actual casting, just the design
>>
>>9473129
I lové those deer ones, they're so cute!
>>
>>9473235
Are these casted backwards?
>>
File: C9vY493VYAEiEoq.jpg (301KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C9vY493VYAEiEoq.jpg
301KB, 1200x1200px
>>
File: C9sZHIkUAAIZs2d.jpg (187KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C9sZHIkUAAIZs2d.jpg
187KB, 1200x1200px
>>
File: C9_DNUoV0AAPh0A.jpg (112KB, 1136x766px) Image search: [Google]
C9_DNUoV0AAPh0A.jpg
112KB, 1136x766px
>>
>>9473480
Where are you finding all of these, anon?
>>
>>9473491
Filename looks like Twitter.
>>
>patiently waits for pillchan to come back with her shop
>>
>>9473235
For such bright colors these came out so dull...
>>
>>9473479
iirc anon said they take them out and put them back into the mold with the front up to dome them.

>>9473508
The mold is matte, they haven't been domed yet.
>>
>>9473515
>iirc anon said they take them out and put them back into the mold with the front up to dome them.
That is so smart! I don't know why I never thought of doing this before.
>>
>>9473525
I've done that before. I find deep molds tend to leave a slight dip sometimes while casting. So it makes it a little easier to dome.
>>
>>9473501
Oh that's me, sorry. I've been crazy busy with school and realized it would be a bad idea to open my shop now since I don't have time to visit the post office regularly between classes, work, and projects. I'm probably not going to be opening my shop until at least June 13th, because school ends and I go home, then I almost immediately get my wisdom teeth pulled so I'm not supposed to drive while on painkillers. I made a new waterfall syringe I'm proud of though that I'll show off when I get back to my dorm
>>
File: IMG_4205.gif (877KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4205.gif
877KB, 500x333px
>>9473535
Take your time!
>>
>>9473508
As other anon said, they haven't been domed yet! I'll be doing that tonight when I get done with the gym. I just wanted to post my wips
>>
File: 20170513_123825-1.jpg (1MB, 1838x2720px) Image search: [Google]
20170513_123825-1.jpg
1MB, 1838x2720px
I just started working with UV resin. This is my first piece and i figured i could get some honest critique here.
>>
>>9473480
I really like the bunnies and bird.
>>
>>9476541
I guess for my critique is that seeing as you've got an infinite work time with UV resin, those diamonds could have been arranged much more neatly.
>>
>>9476541

I think it also looks like the resin is spilling over a bit? so in the crotch and the right side it looks a bit drippy.
>>
>>9476649
Thank you, i hadn't noticed.
>>
File: IMG_20170513_204940.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170513_204940.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
Looking for some honest concrit on these pieces. I made a corsage, a barrette, and some bobby pins with mulberry paper flowers and ribbon. I'm hoping to use them for a gift.
>>
>>9476541
For the diamonds, I'd I'd recommend a very thin light layer of resin. Just enough to help stick them securly in place, then dome on top. It'll keep them from floating around and looking more uniform. Watch out for overflow, and make sure your transition color like around the neck is in a better spot.

It's really not a bad piece for a first try, just needs to polish your skills.
>>
>>9476890
For me, the very top one seems off. Not sure if it's the ribbon or the flower, or both, but the rest of them look cute!
>>
>>9476931
Probably the ribbon. I can take it apart and try again. Thanks anon! I'll probably just do another bow, because I can't mess that up.
>>
File: IMG_7392.jpg (374KB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7392.jpg
374KB, 810x1080px
Made this today, I'm not really happy with it. The bead look little off but it needs some kind of weight on the bottom.
>>
>>9479470
Cute idea, poor execution. You could do without the bead if you had the ribbon put on some sort of wire. If you don't want to do that, at least use a Swarvoski crystal bead or a pearl or something cute. That chain looks super cheap, too, so replace that.
>>
>>9476890
Please crop your pictures in the future anon
>>
Anyone here make actual halfway usefull shit with resin instead of cheap ass knickknacks and costume jewelry? All I ever see in these threads are knickknacks and costume jewelry, and it is driving me crazy. Make some actual shit, please. If I was beyond planning stage on any of my projects, I'd post examples, but I'm not.
>>
>>9481231
Can you elaborate on what kind of project you want to see? Like people making a penny floor and covering with resin? Cosplay props?
>>
>>9481231
Please elaborate. I'm completely open to making different things with resin, but the fugly ~kawaii~ phone cases, keychains, necklaces, etc. are what sells (at least for me). I'm sure there are a lot of people like you, though, and I'd love to branch out. I just need to know what exactly I should branch out into. "Actual shit" tells me nothing.
>>
>>9481231
I'm curious what could be put to repetitive use with something like (craft grade) polyurethane resin. You would need that industrial grade shit
>>
>>9481231
Feel free to contribute.
>>
>>9481231
Post your plans?
>>
>>9481231
Is a resin dildo useful enough for you idea-chan?
>>
>>9480131
Sorry. I got excited.
>>
File: IMG_4538.jpg (2MB, 2872x2871px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4538.jpg
2MB, 2872x2871px
Oh what the hell I thought they'd pop out shiny. First go at resin, I used a silicone mold I had for ice cubes, was I supposed to spray it with something? How do I get that shine? The backs are nice and shiny.
I'm working on building a mold for DnD dice and I don't want them to pop out all matte an' shit
>>
>>9481988
This is a problem with silicone molds. Unless they have a quite shiny texture, your things will come out matte. To make the pieces shiny you need to glaze them after they've cured. Probably best to do so with doming resin. You can also do it with things like nail polish, lacquer/varnish, etc. but a lot of these either yellow over time, are too thin, or could eat away at the resin. they also sell different glazes that are good for this stuff, including a spray specifically meant to go on top of resin.
>>
>>9481988
Resin picks up the texture of its mold or container when you cast it. This means if the inside of your mold is textured or otherwise not shiny, then your piece will come out the same way. You can dome or glaze the pieces like the other poster suggested, but you might be better off looking for a new mold if you don't want to do that.
>>
>>9482020
>>9482059
Interesting, thanks for the suggestions! So does anyone know how I would make a silicone mold shiny? Like when you make your own molds how do you acquire that shiny property in the mold itself?
>>
>>9472923
Oh,darn. I heard powder pigment works well so that might be an option.
>>
>>9482084
You're better off doming or glazing your pieces after casting, there isn't a way of altering the mold like that. If you want a shiny mold you need to have a shiny/very smooth positive to turn into a mold, but actually doing that is getting beyond my own knowledge. There are a lot of shiny molds out there, look for molds not for ice but rather sugar/fondant or specifically for crafting.
>>
>>9482084
When you make a mold of something shiny, the subsequent casts will be shiny until the mold wears out. I don't think there's a way to make an existing mold shiny. When I get home I will post a picture of different doming experiments someone did. Different brands have different levels of shine.
>>
>>9482091
>>9482096
That's so weird, I had no idea resin did that
>>
>>9482130
It's because resin is a liquid and picks up the texture of whatever it's cast in. Molds that are "matte" have a very slight texture so that's why a piece will come out "rough". Molds that are completely smooth will yield shiny pieces because there is no texture where the resin comes in contact with it.
>>
>>9482130
What did you think it did?
>>
>>9481988
>I'm working on building a mold for DnD dice
Be warned, because resin is prone to bubbles and such, it will be very difficult to make dice that are perfectly balanced. I doubt your DM will want you playing with flawed dice, whether they're intentionally so or not.
>>
>>9482144
I've been warned about that a few times now, definitely taking maximum precautions to avoid the air bubbles. The last thing I need is to put all that work into it then having useless dice.
>>
File: 1459905635779.png (838KB, 1500x356px) Image search: [Google]
1459905635779.png
838KB, 1500x356px
>>9482096
I'm here to deliver the goods
>>
>>9482704
Ty anon
>>
Honestly that is the exact response I expected to get here. To lazy for individual responses, so you all get this.
As for what I'd like to see, litterly any thing else. I don't care if it's a salad bowl. Cos props would be cool too.
As for my plans, stuff is way off, need to make positive mold, then negative mold, then mold for the inside of the mold... Long way off, and you don't want to stare at pics of 3d models sitting on my PC.

As for stuff selling, I realize the phone cases and dangles and shit sell, but I imagine stuff like diaramas and figures would also sell.
>>
>>9482982
Just fuck off to >>>/diy/
Other than cos props, none of that is relevant to this board unless it bears the aesthetic that you're complaining about
>>
Does anyone know sellers who make resin picture frame brooches/necklaces/pieces similar to those that mossbadger makes? She rarely updates the online shop and when she does it's maybe 5-10 pieces
>>
>>9482982
Your best bet for non-jfashion related stuff would be the /diy/ board. Figures, possibly /toy/ they have a customs thread that could possibly be up your alley.
>>
>>9482996
I'm making a handful of them right now, actually. Got questions about making them or need anything in particular?
>>
>>9482982
God, you're annoying.
>>
>>9482982
>litterly
>>
>>9476541
> Layer! Set a thin base before your details/gems. Your final work looks a little lumpy, which can happen when the resin is poured too much at once.
> Patience! UV resin benefits a lot from thin layers curing one by one, make sure your tape base is pulled tight too.
> Toothpicks! Toothpicks are your best friend pls use them to arrange items. They are usually also made of bamboo so don't feel bad throwing them away
>>
>>9482982
Where the fuck do you think you are? Here's your (you).
>>
>>9482704
Thanks, anon!
>>9482982
You're the same fucker who was whining in the ita thread, aren't you? Either contribute what you want to see or leave.
>>
>>9482704
this is super handy, thanks anon!
>>
>>9482982
>I have cool plans guiz I swear
>>
>>9482982
If this is a serious post and you aren't a lazy troll, explain exactly what you need help on or what you want to see. Are you trying to sell stuff and need assistance on what is popular? Do you need help trouble shooting making a prop? Are you trying to make food containers? A lot of resin isn't food safe so I wouldn't make anything you intend to eat out of or will somehow end up on the inside of your body.

Resin is very popular right now as a medium for jewelry or small decorative pieces, it's what people want to do right now. If you want to see different applications or items, you either need to go to a specific DIY or prop making board/thread. There are about 40 posters in this thread already, I don't think people are going to drop everything to make sure one anon on the internet is catered to, especially when they just seem to be dropping salt.
>>
>>9482982
>this stuff is stupid my stuff is so much better
>okay sweet show us ur stuff we'd love to see it
>umm nvm

lol
>>
File: C_Zw7rjXYAImJn1.jpg (57KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C_Zw7rjXYAImJn1.jpg
57KB, 1200x1200px
>>
>>9483001
Oh no, no questions about making them, I was mostly just looking to see who was selling them. I looked on etsy but can't find anything but vintage pieces.
>>
>>9484257
I know DreamCathedral and ShyLapin both mainly do frame pieces.
>>
>>9484565
Thank you! DreamCathedral looks similar to what I was looking for, I hope they do some pieces with more colorful frames
>>
>>9484706
I got a custom order from her last year. You can probably even get a rainbow frame if you asked.
>>
>>
Hey, I'm trying to make a necklace that looks like a honey pot with honey dripping off the side, but I'm unsure how to make the resin look like its dripping without it just sliding off. Any tips?
>>
>>9486207
>
In interested in making things like this for myself and friends, but I've always wondered what paper to use that pouring the resin on top of doesn't bleed through or cause problems?
>>
>>9486260
Just use UV resin and a high wattage UV lamp (at least 35W) so you can cure it fast
>>
>>9486265
I've heard covering the paper with modpodge stops the bleeding
>>
File: amaterasu.png (425KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
amaterasu.png
425KB, 600x450px
>>9486265
With printed stuff, I laminate with packing tape and then seal the edges with modpodge.
If you go just the modpodge route, be sure to do it in multiple thin layers. If it's not thick/sealed enough, the resin will bleed and cause watermarks and if you just glob on the modpodge, that'll make the ink itself bleed.
>>
File: spoopyhouse.jpg (167KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
spoopyhouse.jpg
167KB, 500x375px
>>9486265
I mainly do portrait brooch things, but same concept applies. I use glossy photo paper, and seal the edges were I cut with modpodge. I can trust the main glossy surface not to have any bleeding. Not sure if it's true of every brand, but my printer is an inkjet type, and I'm using Epson brand paper if that helps.
>>
>>9486590
>>9486708
>>9486733

Thank you kind beautiful strangers, I appreciate the advice.
>>
Is it just me or are pastel beads almost impossible to find? Or when you do find them people charge out the ass for only 100 pieces. Or maybe I'm not looking in the right places?
>>
>>9490532
I bought mine at pandahall. I still have a bunch since they sell a bunch(500g)
>>
Is there some sort of chart for lamp wattage and UV resin cure time? I'm getting into UV after being into epoxy and I don't really have a feel for anything yet.
>>
I'm very new to this, sorry in advance
I need to make a cylinder of silicone caulk
What material can I make a mold out of that silicone won't stick to?
>>
Some things I've made recently! I finally feel a bit more confident in what I make. The pocket watch setting in the middle is silver but shows up as gold for some reason...
>>
>>9494971
You got a shop? I'm interested in a couple of these pieces.
>>
>>9495060
no shop yet, but I have instagram @nyankonyanja, you can contact me there! Most of those pieces are a bit imperfect, but I've done commissions for others before.
>>
>>9494894
You can pour silicone into a silicone mold, as long as you put a layer of spray wax as mold release in between. Make sure your mold release doesn't have silicone in it
>>
File: ezgif-3-a4e255b90a.gif (2MB, 225x169px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif-3-a4e255b90a.gif
2MB, 225x169px
"pill-chan" here. Someone a few threads ago asked if thermochromic pigment worked when mixed with resin. The answer is yes. This is thermochromic powder for nails mixed with resin and underneath a few layers of clear resin. It will change color with body heat but I've shown it with my heat gun to speed up the process. This piece was supposed to be color changing on one side and a waterfall on the other, but the waterfall part came out lumpy on the back and keeps leaking so this is unfortunately a reject.
>>
File: 20170527_120142-1.jpg (4MB, 2236x2236px) Image search: [Google]
20170527_120142-1.jpg
4MB, 2236x2236px
>>9495462
*Meant to say UV resin, not just resin, since the chemical compositions of UV resin and epoxy are different and idk if that would make a difference in how well the pigment mixes. Anyways here's a simple necklace I made yesterday. I wanted to fill the wings with resin but can't since I have jump rings through them. I think it's too basic to sell and not really my style so I'm probably going to give it to my sister when I get home from college
>>
>>9495474
You could fill the wing and then drill holes for the jump rings once it's cured
>>
File: IMG_7054.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7054.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
I tried making some galaxy bats, but I need some more practice with getting the colors right. I bought some plastic resin molds, but they're not as easy to use as silicon molds.
>>
>>9495704
You need to trim the overspill with a utility or xacto knife, or sand it down if you have the patience. I'm also not sure what colors you were trying to go for, it looks like all the color floated to the middle?
>>
>>9495731
Yeah I was just testing it out and it looks like most of the colors ended up in the center while the resin was curing. I think I was putting on too many colors. Will try a more simple approach next time
>>
>>9495736
How did you pour it? Did you mix the colors in after you put it in the mold? And what are you using to color it? From my experience the best way to do multicolored pours is to thoroughly mix each color separately in their own containers (I use disposable medicine cups) and then pour them into the mold and blend and swirl as needed.
>>
File: C9N0OVTVwAE7xfL.jpg (331KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C9N0OVTVwAE7xfL.jpg
331KB, 1200x1200px
>>9495738
I waited till the resin was tacky and then painted the colors on. If I wanted to get an effect like this pic, would mixing the pigment with resin work? Or will brushing it on be better?
>>
>>9495749
Nah that's achieved by painting on the back of the resin I think. I would wait until the resin is fully cured then paint on it
>>
>>9495758
Alrighty I'll try that next time. Thanks for the help anon!
>>
>>9495462
Where did you find that bezel in silver?
>>
Hey handi-gulls, I was hoping you guys could help me out. I busted my AP ring a little while ago when I slipped and fell on some ice. I'd like to fix it, but since I find the ring uncomfortable I want to change out the ring for a metal one. Do you have any recommendations for an adjustable ring base? I checked my local craft shops and they don't carry them. Obviously I just need the one, but I'll buy more if I have to. I'm sure I'll find a use for them. Thanks!
>>
>>9496400
Literally just search for "ring base" on AliExpress if you don't mind cheap metal
>>
>>9496446
Thanks for answering, I'm looking for something relatively nice or sturdy. I don't want it to break again, you know?
>>
>>9496470
Just make sure you get one that's made of something like stainless steel or other non-rusting metal. I bought some of the simple ring bases, and noticed them starting to rust about a month after I glued some resin pieces to them.
>>
File: corsageconcrit.jpg (1MB, 1250x1884px) Image search: [Google]
corsageconcrit.jpg
1MB, 1250x1884px
Looking for concrit on these corsages. They're not taped up yet, so I can still move them around. The daisy cross is rough idea of what I want to do. I need to fiddle around with the flowers more. I just want to make sure it's not totally awful. Thanks!
>>
>>9497044
I like the daisy cross. I don't wear crosses in Lolita but I think that is cute and unique. Maybe put a bow on it somewhere. The other corsages are cute, I would probably use a wider ribbon (like 3/4 or inch wide), it would give it a more put together look.
>>
>>9497044
Are these to be worn with pins on your chest or as like a bracelet?
Either way, your flowers look like they're a nice quality but I think your designs need something extra, perhaps some leaves or greenery. Something tall and skinny to offset the chunkyness of the flowers. In actual floral design we use rhinestones on wires and stuff like that, not sure if that relates to your designs though
>>
>>9497083
>I would probably use a wider ribbon (like 3/4 or inch wide), it would give it a more put together look.

I just realized something about myself: I weirdly love bolo ties and should save that black ribbon for a personal project. Thanks anon! I'll remake the ribbon. And probably buy wider ribbon in general.
>>9497095
On your chest. I'm trying to keep them flat. And floral design completely relates. I'm actually waiting on some feathers that I think would work, but I can poke around the craft store for pearls, rhinestones, or greens to add. Thanks!
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Okay so desu I'm a little irritated with these molds. The middle one comes out pretty well but the other two come out too bendy even after curing for 24 hours. Is there anything I can do to make them sturdier or am I SOL?
>>
>>9486708
I would love to have this! Do you know of the shop that sells these?
>>
>>9497386
I ran into the same issue with similar but different magical girl wand molds, my UV pieces came out warped, haven't tested it with epoxy yet. If you're verrrrry careful with a heat gun, you might be able to straighten them out
>>
>>9497386
I bought those EXACT same molds. It's just an issue with the molds, not you. I was using them for resin along with the Daiso equivalent of Mod Melts- same issue both times. Don't even bother trying to get air dry clay in there if that's your thing. I'm just bringing them to my next local craft material swap meet. They can be someone else's problem.
>>
File: IMG_20170528_201614.jpg (1MB, 1920x1156px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170528_201614.jpg
1MB, 1920x1156px
I need to get a nicer lace (this was from an old tissue box cover haha) but does this design look okay for a brooch?
>>
>>9497793
Ignoring the lace and weird fabric, no. The surface of the resin looks rough and slightly crusty from the glitter the fabric roses make it look cheap.
>>
File: DBAEyBaUMAYiRt0.jpg (125KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
DBAEyBaUMAYiRt0.jpg
125KB, 1200x900px
Caramel Ribbon put up a cute hair accessory for auction on YJP, if anyone wants to try to contend with crazy Japanese girls with loads of dosh: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t517363319
>>
>>9497793
I'd ditche the glitter on the roses, it feels too juvenile and takes away from the classic look. And I would go for a different color scheme with the resin. The rose on the right looks like it came out of the mold weird but it could just be the color and angle
>>
I found a relatively painless way to make waterfall charms out of metal bezels in this tutorial but there are some adjustments you need to make if you wanna use mineral oil
https://youtu.be/ZbBIfhAOz4w
They show glue and water in the tutorial which I don't recommend because water causes rust and bacterial growth (which means cloudy water). Since mineral oil freezes at a very low temperature, to adapt it I would take the second half of the tutorial, the shaker charm, and modify it. Proceed as instructed, but before you glue the top on, add some glitter inside and leave a small hole big enough for a syringe. Use the syringe to inject mineral oil into it and seal the whole thing. Ta da, waterfall charm that won't rust. It worked when I tried it but the hardest part is sealing all the leaks and making sure the sides come out nice and smooth
>>
>>9497899
I've gotten less chunky glitter since I made the cameo on the right so hopefully that will help, or I can do as >>9499070 suggested and forego the glitter all together.
I'll see if I can find a substitute for the fabric roses, it looks kind of empty without

Any suggestions for easily cleaning out a mold after a faulty pour? I got the ratio wrong and the resin didn't harden at all so I dumped it out of the molds, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the residue. I tried just doing a dummy cast to see if the residue would stick to the new resin, but it didn't work that well.
>>
>>9500056
>I'll see if I can find a substitute for the fabric roses, it looks kind of empty without
You're missing the point. Your design is shit. The one on the left looks good because each element of the design is proportional to the rest and the construction doesn't look like babby's first project.

>Any suggestions for easily cleaning out a mold after a faulty pour?
Acetone. Google is your friend.
>>
>>9500095
Okay, thanks. Idk if you were the anon who originally gave crit, but who ever did just said that the roses looked cheap, so I'm not sure how I was supposed to interpret that to mean the layout sucked. But either way point taken. if I incorporate lace next time around I'll use a less wide piece so it doesn't overwhelm the cameo.

Also re:acetone, thanks. As soon as I posted I remembered something about isopropyl alcohol being good for cleaning out mixing cups and felt dumb desu
>>
>>9500131
I'm a different anon. They do look cheap, but I think that's more of an issue with the glitter you used vs the rose mold itself. The mold is fine. It just looks like you used cheap glitter for the main rose area and then just sprinkled some glitter on the rest of the mold like the salt meme guy.
>>
>>9500153
Ooh, gotta love that late night posting. I just realized they meant the FABRIC roses. That's probably just a placement issue. You pretty much used the exact same roses as the left did, just in different colors. They're so far apart that it looks like something fell off of the lace or there were supposed to be more roses at one point. Keep the roses close together.
>>
>>9500157
Thanks. As i mentioned I have nicer glitter now, and will use it more conservatively lol. I'm also working on making my pieces neater, and hopefully cleaning out my molds will help that.

I do want to clarify that the left is my design as well, and I wanted to replicate it on the right but my pink ribbon wasn't as wide as my red, hence the difference in designs.
>>
>>9500178
>I do want to clarify that the left is my design as well
Yay! Then it looks like this was a materials failure versus a you just can't design for shit situation. I think the lace design would look a lot better if the lace was still put over a solid fabric like the left design. It just looks so empty on its own. I think if you redo the pink/lace design, it'll look a lot better now that we all sort of tore you a new one (it's just tough love, I swear) re: how to improve.
>>
>>9479470
Perhaps glue the lace onto a piece of clear plastic sheet that is shaped like the note to keep its shape at the bottom? Cut it narrow enough so it won't show over the edge of the lace, and still keep the laces transparency.
>>
>>9494971
What kind of glue do you use to attach the ghost to the metal clip? Everything I've tried falls off within one or two wears.
>>
>>9495704
Would have been more obvious to me it was galaxy themed without the giant yellow stars, I'd remove them next batch. The idea is cute, but doesn't translate well onto a super tiny piece. A large flat piece would work better I think.
>>
>>9500226
the ghost is attached to a metal disc (so that silver shows through the eyes) which is then attached to the hairclip with e6000! I've worn it a few times and so far it's held up fine.
>>
>>9500095
Nayrt but I tried to use pure acetone (nail polish remover) to dissolve UV resin that was stuck to the mirror plate on the bottom of my lamp and it didn't work... I did figure out that using mineral oil on the area was able to loosen it enough for me to pry it up though
>>
>>9500279
>>9500226
E6000 is the greatest. I wouldn't trust anything else at this point.
>>
>>9500131
I'm the original anon who gave crit. I didn't realize the photo on the left had fabric roses too. I don't like those type of ribbon roses at all, they remind me of fussy stuffy crafts my grandma used to do. I'm assuming you're going for elegance, so either ditch them or upgrade to better quality fake small flowers. Also they don't work with the glittery plastic of the resin piece, they're tonally different and I don't know what kind of coord it would even supposedly match. Aim for cohesion instead of many ideas.
>>
>>9502495
Same. I can't believe I went so long without E6000, I use it for everything now.
>>
So, I got some feathers in the mail, and they're bent from shipping. It looks like you can iron feathers, you just need get the temperature right. Does anyone have any advice? I'm going to put down a towel, use some less attractive feathers to practice, start on the back of the quill with a lower temp. than the tutorial recommended, and go up as necessary. I'll touch up the front and other bits as needed, then press them overnight in a heavy book.
>>
I know this isn't the help thread but maybe you guys will help anyhow. I made a 2 part mold using OOMOO and casted with Smoothcast 300. The plastic is a couple years old but each part still seemed ok when poured. The active life seemed a little shorter than usual when I poured it, and the piece came out ok. I sanded off some extra bits around the seam and spray painted the piece. But when I was done I noticed that the paint was still sticky and would wipe off around the edges where I trimmed off the excess. Does this mean the piece isn't cured inside? Should I have let it rest a bit longer before painting it and after cutting off the edges (I immediately painted it after trimming the edges). Or is it because my material was old?
>>
>>9507583
Just to clarify, the paint would ONLY wipe off around where I trimmed off the excess. The rest of it was perfectly fine.

Also, does anyone know if I can save this piece or do i have to start over? I'd have to buy more plastic, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to.
>>
>>9507540
I think you should try to get at least a partial refund from the seller. Make sure you take some photos before attempting to iron them. That way if it goes wrong you haven't lost out.
>>
anons, even if you are not on Etsy, could you use #GALA or #teamGALA in your social media tags to help other anons find your stuff? i am really excited to see how everyone has grown and want to stalk you all.
>>
>>9497044
The daisy cross is great and now I really want one to wear with cherry merguerite or whatever has daisy crosses, or just hang it in my room.

The other designs are pretty but kind of plain, like you could find anywhere. I think if you could make more creative ones like the cross your shop would be popular.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170604-171249.png (113KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170604-171249.png
113KB, 1080x1920px
>>9507809
Both those tags are in use my friend. Even teamgala has over 10000 posts
>>
>>9508108
shit, what would be a good alternative?

>galanon
>galamade
>galashop
>gothicandlolitaanonymous
>gothandlolianon
>gandlanon
>galacraft
>galacrafting
>icargala
("indie crafts and resin GALA" to refer to this thread)
>>
>>9508931
Galaseagulls maybe?
>>
>>9508942
What about GALAgulls?
>>
>>9509011
Galagulls is probably my favorite so far. That alliteration is A++
>>
>>9509011
I love this
>>
>>9502538
Does E6000 work okay for attaching fabric items to a metal finding?
>>
>>9509011
i considered it but wondered if people might not want the outright seagull connotation

HOWEVER, it sounds so good
>>
>>9509119
sometimes, but it can fuck up the fabric, too.
>>
So I got Aluminite Amazing Casting White for the intent of doming the backs of translucent pieces with it, and poured some test pieces by just pouring it straight into the mold and loved it. Cures fast, easy to mix, low viscosity, no bubbles, but one tiny problem: it's so low viscosity that I'm having trouble doming with it. I normally use UV resin to dome resin pieces since its viscous enough to form a good dome, so I'm looking for advice on how to use it without it spilling everywhere.
>>
>>9510156
Honestly, timing. You have that really small window when it turns thick before being completely unworkable. Another option might be to make a tape dam around the thing you want to dome to avoid spillage.
>>
>>9510156
Do you pour straight on or use a tool? I don't dome with it but when im pouring into intricate molds it helps to have toothpicks and popsicle sticks on hand to guide it where it needs to go
>>
>>9510223
>>9510167
I was trying to pour it straight on but in videos (I love "watch me resin" and resin tutorial videos) I usually see people doing it with a popsicle stick. How long do you wait? The box says it cures in 10 minutes but I'm skeptical of that, but it seemed to cure in less then 2 hrs for me. Didn't think of building a tape dam, that's a good idea, even though I have a weird shaped piece. I just had surgery though so I probably won't get a chance to try anything for at least a week (sorry for incoherent sentences I am on Vicodin)
>>
File: IMG_20170607_101145.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170607_101145.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Anyone know where I can buy clips like these? I want to make my own lanyards. Similar clips are fine too, I just like this kind best.
>>
>>9511246
Office supply stores
>>
File: corsagetwo.jpg (2MB, 3000x2962px) Image search: [Google]
corsagetwo.jpg
2MB, 3000x2962px
>>9497044 Y'all anymore of that...concrit. 2, 3, 4, 5 you've seen and I've tried to take the advice given on. Note: these are all corsages meant to be worn on the chest, except 1. 1 is actually a head piece (and new). 6 is new too. I'll tidy up the feathers/trim ribbons, etc. before I wrap them up. Thanks anons!
>>
I am trying to get into making resin jewelry. I have my molds, resin, and glitter. I have been watching several tutorials to get down the basic and will start practicing next week.
What is the best place to buy the cute gold pieces everyone used in their resin? the clocks, hearts , animals?
Any good tips for a beginner? thanks anons!
>>
>>9512293
I don't know if the feathers on 1 look like as good as they could. Otherwise, liking the rest!
>>9512390
The vast majority of gold bits and bobs are actually nail art supplies most of the time. Use that term when searching for stuff! I reccommend aliexpress and taobao.
>>
>>9500178
Honestly, ditch the glitter and use gold mica or eyeshadow. If you brush a little on the mold it'll give a nice golden glow, and won't look weird if it migrates a bit.

If you want to use that same wide lace, have a border of less wide lace around the cameo (like what you did with the ribbon but bigger). Putting something around the cameo itself, like a small gold frame, will help it stand out better. That's only if you really want to use that lace though- I'd go for something less shiny and a lot narrower.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>9512293
I think you've done too much. I really liked the simpler designs, the only thing I really think needed to be changed were the ribbon width. The new pieces look kinda directionless and without a discernible shape t b h. 3 is the best out of all of these.
>>
>>9496400
-buy a piece of silver, 1,5 mm thick.
-take measure, maybe you need to use a metal saw
-bend it carefully, you need a round bar or something so it becomes really round
- hammer it with a plastic mallet to harden it
-file it smooth and use polishing paper if you want it to get really shiny
-profit

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Pcs-Silver-Plated-Adjustable-Flat-Pad-Ring-Bases-DIY-Blank-Findings-17mm-/291136185974?hash=item43c911a676:g:j0IAAOxyeglTYGMP

something cheap like this
>>
>>9512729
I recently got a ton of these adjustable rings, but base sized for petite fingers. I can't wait to make a gorillion stained glass cross rings that anyone can wear.
>>
>>9512842
god bless you
i've got tiny fingers and every "adjustable" ring i've ever tried has been way too big
>>
>>9512968
Yeah, I hear that a lot. So I went straight for them. I'll always note in my future listings whether something is a petite adjustable.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (917KB, 822x794px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
917KB, 822x794px
Tassel anon from previous threads. These are my attempts with the fancy yarn but for some reason I can't cut the ends perfectly straight. I used the masking tape method but they still look uneven.
>>
>>9512984
You opening a shop anon?
>>
>>9513617
These are so adorable! I think I've said it before, but I really adore the purple and gold, and the rainbowish one.

>>9513705
I've got one already, I'm just really busy working on stock for a vendor table at the end of this month, so I haven't had time to update my shop.
>>
>>9513617
The purple/gold and yellow/red ones are really lovely!
>>
>>9513617
There are adorable, are you selling?
>>
I've always thought it was sort of weird that resin is considered a "girly" hobby when we're working with dangerous industrial chemicals. Maybe UV resin is because it's a lot safer
>>
>>9516460
I think it entirely depends on the project. Many of the more trinket style resin crafts like jewelry is more considered feminine like sewing, knitting, etc.... while resin for projects like the penny floors are considered masculine.
>>
File: coaster.png (814KB, 601x553px) Image search: [Google]
coaster.png
814KB, 601x553px
I finally got those fancy alchemy circle stickers from taobao. One sheet was holo, one sheet was gold, but for the price I paid for them, I was expecting more of them. Ah, well. First project I put some in was a coaster and a charm.
>>
>>9516561
Taobao link please, I'm putting together an order of a million resin related items I don't need and I wanna add more
>>
>>9469600
Daiso has resin? What country are you in anon? I'm from Australia and I've never seen resin in Daiso. I hope it's just a new product, having resin at Daiso would be so convenient.
>>
>>9472098
How do you get them to ship resin overseas for you? I'm scared my proxy won't accept it since it's a liquid.
>>
>>9516460
it is the end product that determines the gender association of the hobby.
>>
>>9472098
I wish they would test it under the sunlight and see which one yellows the most.
>>
>>9517596
Every time I remember this post, I'm on mobile and can't look up. Link tonight, I promise!
>>
>>9519776
>>9517596
https://world.taobao.com/item/541479014210.htm?spm=a312a.7700825.1997196601.77.IM002f
>>
>>9516460
It's like that with soap making as well
>>
>>9517713
I ordered resin from Rakuten to tenso and tenso shipped it to me with no issue.
>>
>>9520925
>>9517713
You don't need a shopping service for Rakuten
Also I found the wing molds used in this piece on both Taobao and AliExpress is anyone is interested
>>
>>9523288
You need a shopping service if you buy items from Rakuten Japan's site, global will ship everywhere. Not many Rakuten JP shops will ship international.
>>
File: IMG_7169.jpg (567KB, 1958x2105px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7169.jpg
567KB, 1958x2105px
I really like the gold pocket watch frame, but I never know what kind of accessory to make it into.
>>
>>9523591
Most people seem to treat them like a plain circle charm. I've seen quite a few tutorials where they have a glittery background and a lot of flowers around the edges, if that helps.
>>
>>9524619
That's a great idea. Do you have links to any of those tutorials?
>>
Where do you gulls buy your resin supplies from? I'm still kind of new, and I'd like to get some open bezel charms to experiment with, but I'm not sure if Etsy would be my best bet for that or not. I checked Aliexpress and I didn't really find any shops that sold by bulk, so it wouldn't be too different price wise from the etsy listings I've seen.
>>
>>9525031
I've ordered stuff through etsy and ali, and usually the shops that are as cheap as ali, are usually china sellers anyway. So you're stuck with the same wait time anyway.
>>
>>9481988
I found a post with two methods to make other silicone shiny again, it might work with the moulds.
But there's only so much you can do if the mould it self isn't very smooth, if it was smooth before, it's more possible to restore shine than if it was always matte textured.
If you can't find a shiny mould of the things you want to cast, use your current mould, make stuff, dome it so it's super shiny and smooth, and make your own mould from those. The new mould should be nice and shiny.

www .quora .com/ How-do-I-make-high-quality-silicon-shiny-again
(remove spaces^)
>>
I know it's been posted about here before, but for resin pieces that are rounded on top, you can dome by brushing on resin, correct? Or would it be better to use a gloss varnish?
>>
>>9529312
Not brushing, dropping it on. Doming works by using surface tension. Did you ever do that thing as a kid where you put water drops on a penny until it flowed off the sides? Same concept.
>>
>tfw accidentally sanded the tip of my finger when sanding down a piece
Unrelated, but has anyone built their own vacuum chamber to cast clear silicone molds? Everything I'm reading about the clear silicone I wanna get to make molds for UV resin says you need to vacuum degas it
>>
>>9529521
yeah, I've domed flat resin pieces before, I just wasn't sure if it worked the same way for pieces that were round on the top instead of flat.
>>
anyone here tried nail polish as a resin coloring before?
>>
>>9530943
It won't work
>>
>>9530943
It'll mess with the curing time. If you're dead set on using nail polish you can try this method
https://youtu.be/jZxp-cUfBXU
Make sure you let the the resin fully cure before applying the nail polish, you sand down the edges before the applying the nail polish, and you let the nail polish fully dry before doming the back
>>
File: 20170624_214606-1.jpg (3MB, 2236x2236px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_214606-1.jpg
3MB, 2236x2236px
I made this today but I'm still figuring out this blood spatter thing. I think I need to use a different brush (I thought the one I used had coarse enough bristles but it didn't so I ended up using a plastic knife) and carefully clean it up afterwards so I don't end up with weird pink smudges
>>
Does anyone know what the drama is behind the Simplicity "rosettes" pattern? I saw mossbadger talking about it on her Facebook but I haven't been able to find the pattern in question
>>
>>9532162
Mossbadger thinks that she came up with the most basic fucking method to make rosettes, and it definitely hasn't been around for hundreds of years.

>Creators in the lolita scene are firmly wedged up their own asses.
>More news at 11.
>>
>>9532162
check the handmade thread and the old general, discussed there
>>
>>9523377
>global will ship everywhere
that's a lie. If you speak japanese, maybe.
>>
>>9523591
I can't see that being anything but a necklace unless it's tiny
>>
>>9532176
Mossbadger actually made a post admitting that rosettes aren't an original idea so she doesn't own them and there's nothing she can do.
>>
File: image.jpg (116KB, 750x558px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116KB, 750x558px
>>9532215
Rakuten Japan and Rakuten Global are different sites. Please research before you post unless you like looking like an idiot.
>>
File: 174012338.png (877KB, 1023x665px) Image search: [Google]
174012338.png
877KB, 1023x665px
>>9532176
Beginning to understand why people say cgl has a vendetta against her. She literally said they have been around for hundreds of years and that she didn't invent them. Her response to this whole retarded drama was actually pretty mature so why are you calling her out?
>>
>>9532810
I can't even find the Simplicity pattern for rosettes, are they calling it something else?
>>
>>9486733
That's beautiful! Where do you get that heart mold?
>>
File: 20170625_182624.png (608KB, 898x510px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_182624.png
608KB, 898x510px
>>9517697
Yep. They carry UV resin three types, soft (for stuff like fabric), hard, and glitter (which is slightly sparkly hard resin)
>>
>>9533175
It's a pattern for a bunch of Lolita accessories that a Simplicty rep bought from vendors at Rufflecon last year and to make copies of them including a Vierge Vampur bonnet. Go check the last general, it was discussed at length.
>>
File: 20c.jpg (30KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
20c.jpg
30KB, 650x366px
>>9533197
>tfw you live on the east coast and you keep hearing about the cute and cool craft supplies daiso has that's otherwise hard to find in america
I mean, it's not like I even live in the middle of nowhere, I live in the DC metropolitan area
>plz come to the east coast there are plenty of weebs who would buy the stuff here
>>
>>9532176
Mossbadger also admitted to not being the only rosette maker in a comment on a post in one of the groups.
Miss Candyholic is the one crediting MB and herself as the origial creators
>>
>>9533710
Not to start drama but isn't Miss Candyholic the girl with really poorly made everything?
>>
>>9533754
Correct
>>
>>9473501
It's open. https://www.etsy.com/shop/lilithlilim
I'm not really happy with the photos of the listings but I've been putting this off for far too long
Gonna take some nice photos of everything together later today and post it in the #menhera tag to see if I can get fymenhera to reblog it
I'm gonna make more pills for sale but I have no idea what to sell them as. They're too small to look good as necklaces. Earrings or ear cuffs maybe?
>>
File: 20170627_125808-1.jpg (2MB, 2294x1194px) Image search: [Google]
20170627_125808-1.jpg
2MB, 2294x1194px
Hey gulls, sorry if this is a stupid noob question but I feel like a complete idiot right now. I decided to try these bases everyone is using now and taped it with clear mailing tape and thought I had sealed it and everything, but apparently I'm dealing with mold leakage. I'm using epoxy resin and I know most people use UV for these so is it just that epoxy eats the tape or something? Do I have shitty tape or molds or resin or am I just a dumbass? What am I doing wrong?

Luckily I noticed and could save it by peeling off the excess resin around the sides while it was halfway hardened, but I'd like to not have to peel off a mess every time. Pic as example.
>>
>>9535578
Epoxy doesn't eat through tape. You just don't have a good enough seal on the bezel before you pour. Try running your fingernail along the bottom edge of the bezel.
>>
>>9533277
Heh good luck anon. DC will never ever get a Daiso. I think NYC had a Daiso but they closed that awhile ago.
>>
>>9535578
I use a popscicle stick to burnish the edges before I start adding resin
>>
>>9535578
Like the other say you have to make sure the tape is completely sealed before pouring. I generally like to wait till it's a little tacky before pouring.
>>
File: image.png (394KB, 522x497px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
394KB, 522x497px
>>9535606
According to someone on Twitter, there is a "Daiso" in NYC but it's basically a section in a Chinese pharmacy reselling the stuff they ordered off the online store.
>>
>>9533784
The pill cross necklace is really gorgeous.
>>
>>9533784
yo, want an invite to the pretty quiet GALA group?

also anyone else want an invite?

also-also would anyone like to drop the names of our FB shop pages so we can help boost each other's posts? the algorithm there is ass. no pressure to share anyone's posts to your own wall but just throw some likes toward each other's page content now and then. OR we could make a FB GALA page, like Lolita Updates, to share updates on.
>>
>>9536041
I like the GALA updates page thing.
>>
File: recentwork.jpg (256KB, 736x425px) Image search: [Google]
recentwork.jpg
256KB, 736x425px
Recent work..These two pouch patterns are from Annita Gooddesign, to those of you who own embroidery machines with 5x7" hoops or larger...The iridescent candy is a hair barrette of my design. Changing up the key chain to add more flair tomorrow. I'm working on other designs for hair clips and brooches with this iridescent film and definitely taking suggestions for symbols. Seashells are next.
>>
>>9536041
I don't have a Facebook and don't plan on making one, sorry. Maybe I'll make an Instagram
>>
Recently checked if I can purchase UV resin via Zenmarket, and they said it was ok if anyone wanted to order some resin.
>>
>>9536089
That's so cool, I dig the zipper pouches
>>
>>9536276
Thanks for checking, time for me to buy a couple different resins other than Padico to see what I like
>>
How do you get the word out about your shop without being obnoxious? Also what's the weirdest question you've gotten in your etsy inbox? Someone asked me if my pieces were food-safe (I make your typical pastel vomit sticker pieces, not anything actually functional which is why I thought it was bizarre)
>>
>>9536576
Weirdest message I got was some chick asking if I could collab with her- I get those on a daily basis, but the way she over shared and her crazy ass reasoning to WHY I should collab. Basically, a DDLG little messages my store and says she wants me to make her a custom DDLG themed Decoden case, pacifiers and all. Told me I make her this case, she gives my store a shoutout on her social media- filled with daddy Dom porn. I didn't even bother answering her.
>>
>>9536585
>a shoutout on her social media- filled with daddy Dom porn
Oh noooooo
>>
File: 1497287706916.png (70KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
1497287706916.png
70KB, 235x235px
>>9536585
Jesus christ that's horrifying.
>>
>>9535578
Using UV is easier because you can seal the edges really fast and don't have to worry so much about leakage. Running a ruler over the bezel a few times to seal it helps ensure you don't have random leaky patches.
>>
Just bought some random no-name chinese UV resin off of ebay, I'll let you know how good it is
>>
>>9536041
I would like an invite please! My shop is https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/Yumiyumyum although there is nothing much in it right now.

GALA updates facebook page sounds like a nice idea!
>>
If anyone is looking for an easy way to get that water effect with resin, this video shows it
https://youtu.be/bWEq2ADPfvU
>>
So I have some old resin I forgot about and it is super yellow (despite it being in a dark place). Is there anything I can do with it? I figure that clear pieces and domes are out of the question but is it still salvageable if I use some colored alcohol ink? Maybe just black? I'd rather not throw it out if I can use it for something at least lol
>>
>>9537069
As long as it's not too old(some resins have a shelf life of 6-12 months) I don't see why not? Remember when choosing colours that they will be affected by the yellowing, so mix a colour that you will like if it's yellower, if that makes sense. lol
I would recommend black, green, orange, yellow, gold, and I would avoid blue, purple, and anything cool-toned.
Good luck!
>>
Hey /cgl/. I have some cute erasers that I wanted to make into necklaces/rings/etc, but I don't like the matte finish they have (and the eraser material tends to get dirty very fast). What product should I use to put a better finish on these?

Also
>Lovry Chocolate
I know.
>>
File: pinkearrings1.jpg (54KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
pinkearrings1.jpg
54KB, 720x960px
>>9537572
You might be better off using them as positives to make moulds and then cast them in resin or something like that?

Speaking of resin, I'd like some advice. I make stuff like pic related out of polymer clay and am wondering if it would translate well into resin. Would it be worth my while making moulds of my stuff and casting them in resin for the extra durability and stuff that'll give them?

Also, if I were to drop my shop name here, would anyone be willing to give me a bit of general concrit on it? Thanks!
>>
>>9536041
I'm interested.
>>
>>9532059
Maybe try a little color variation? Blood is usually a little darker and tends to drip.

There are some crime scene 101 sites that show the behavior of blood and what it looks like, good inspo
>>
So I used Padico resin dye (red and white) in regular epoxy resin after realizing casting in UV resin would be hard since opaque colors and red are the hardest to cast and the red pieces I cast are fully cured but the white ones are still a little sticky and flexible? I'm worried because I didn't even use that much dye, especially in the white batch, I actually used more in the red batch. It's been about 24hrs since casting.
>>
>>9537831
Yeah, show us your shop.

As for casting, there are a couple of things you need to remember. If you want shiny pieces you have to glaze the clay. Don't make the clay pieces too shallow or the resin will end up being weirdly floppy. Don't forget you have to remove the resin from the mold, so avoid tall and overly detailed pieces.
>>
>>9538043
Ok, here's my shop https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/CutestNoodle

Ok, so super tiny pieces are a no-no for resin? Would I be better off sticking to clay for the tiny snakes then?

Thank you for the advice!
>>
Im interested in learning hoe to make some braceletd with some cute beads I ordered off taobao but Im a complete newbie, are bracelets like these made with jewelry wire, chain, or are they elastic?
>>
>>9538628
>>9538628
My best recommendation is to google it anon. Its how I learned to make them desu.
You can use either beading wire or nylon string. Ive never made the type that is completely closed off though so Im unsure how to make that type. But I've made the type thats beaded and ends with a lobster clasp and chain. For those type you'll want to look into crimp beads and crimp bead covers. I chose to go with the clam shell type covers since they hide the wire completely and you dont have to buy a ton of other stuff. Otherwise you'd have to buy a crimp cover and wire guardians

Also something else to keep in mind is that if you want to use clear beads I'd recommend going for a clear wire/nylon since you dont want the wire to be visible through the bead. I only figured this out after I bought beading wire lol.
>>
File: tryingtoburnmyhousedown.jpg (155KB, 537x956px) Image search: [Google]
tryingtoburnmyhousedown.jpg
155KB, 537x956px
I was working on resin yesterday and just...
RIP in pieces
>>
File: tumblr_o662p5IpMV1r4hiiwo1_500.jpg (37KB, 453x453px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o662p5IpMV1r4hiiwo1_500.jpg
37KB, 453x453px
>>9538640
omg what happened anon?
>>
File: affff.png (139KB, 323x267px) Image search: [Google]
affff.png
139KB, 323x267px
>>9538736
It was actually one of the stupidest things I've ever done... I just wasnt thinking at all. It was scary at the time but now thinking back on it I just laugh at how dumb I was being. Only I would do something this idiotic for real tho

>Use rubbing alcohol on my work station to clean up resin spills, works better than water
>spill some on my desk but dont wipe it up
>working in the same area doming my resin piece
>use lighter to pop bubbles...
>EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE RESIN PIECE IS ON FIRE
>move it onto the floor because I dont want the fire to ruin my other resin items
>freaking out
>remember my mother in law bought me a small fire extinguisher for the kitchen
>have no idea how to use it, its still in the box. Thankfully figured it out pretty quick
>the fire extinguisher powder stuff is everywhere and spend the rest of the night cleaning it up

tl;dr fire + alcohol is going to be a bad time (obviously)
>>
>>9538640
Jelly ultra? Is that you?
>>
File: 1493897789434.png (358KB, 552x543px) Image search: [Google]
1493897789434.png
358KB, 552x543px
>>9538936
... yes
Please dont think I'm this stupid 24/7 lmao.
>>
>>9538956
It's okay, I accidentally set off the smoke alarm at like 3am in my dorm trying to degas UV resin, the bubbles are so stubborn
>>
>>9538974
It's almost impossible to get rid of bubbles in UV resin because if you embed anything, you might spawn bubbles while it's curing. It's a lot easier to manage bubbles for epoxy resin.
>>
>>9538101
Yeah, avoid tiny detailed pieces unless you plan to use UV resin. I have some small, shallow resin molds and epoxy never cures properly in them for some reason. If you made the snakes a little bigger and sturdier it shouldn't be an issue, but you might have some difficulty with the raised heads.

As for your shop- the snakes are adorable, and I like the raven skulls, but the menhera stuff looks a bit off. You can see brush strokes on the glaze, the hearts are off-centre (or look like they are from the pictures) and the colours look bland. Don't glaze the pieces, or do spot glazing instead, and maybe add some more details to the pieces.

Also, make sure you get rid of the fingerprints and use coloured clay instead of painting it- it looks really obvious, especially on the heart bandaid piece.

Because they're so simple every mistake stands out, so spend ages making a single perfect piece and use silicone putty to make a mold (it's hard enough for clay and cheaper to buy). Don't use hot glue, use E6000. Make the pieces a little bigger too.

Overall your pieces aren't bad, just a bit rough around the edges. Play around with textures and colours a bit more, work on gluing the backs on a bit more neatly, and use a more solid backdrop to photograph them against. The tissue paper (?) looks washed out and grey and doesn't do the items any favours.

I hope you don't think I'm being a cunt, anon, you have some genuinely nice pieces in your shop but it looks like you're still finding your feet when it comes to menhera and there are a lot of easy fixes to make your stuff better.
>>
>>9538101
>>9540367
I just wanted to contribute that if you make a piece you like and it has fingerprints on it, you can use nail polish remover on a Q-tip or cotton pad to melt the very top layer of the clay.
>>
>>9540377
bless you
not that anon but my biggest pet peeve when i work with clay is my fucking finger prints
idk if I've got the worlds most obvious prints or what but no matter what I do they're always ends up prints. Ill have to try this
>>
>>9540377
Just want to clarify, this trick is for baked clay?
>>
>>9538640

I've always disagreed with the idea of using lighters/heatguns to pop bubbles, and you've finally proven my point, anon.

What scares me the most is that you have teens in their rooms doing this stuff. It's so easy for things to go wrong just from having a mental block on what is flammable. Please be more careful in future, you got really lucky this time and I'd hate for something worse to happen.
>>
>>9540390
No problem; hope it serves you well!
>>9540422
Correct; cured polymer clay.

>>9540451
Not to mention the fumes most two part resin create as a byproduct of the curing process. Speaking of, are fumes an issue for UV Resin users?
>>
>>9540367
Thank you so much, anon! This is genuinely so helpful.

I don't use hot glue, I use two-part epoxy resin. But I'll pick up some E6000, that will probably be easier to use anyway.

The silicone putty mould idea is a really good one, thank you.

You're not being a cunt at all, you've been so helpful! And you're right, I've only just ventured into menhera stuff, whereas I've been making the snakes for about a year.

I'll implement these changes over the next couple of weeks and may update on cgl when I have.

>>9540377 Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out.
>>
>>9540367
Epoxy doesn't cure correctly in small pieces because of the way heat works
>>
File: IMG_7052.jpg (43KB, 702x702px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7052.jpg
43KB, 702x702px
Does anyone know where to find these kind of decorative safety pins?
>>
>>9541001
"Safety pin for charms" turned this up on eBay very quickly. If you're not looking for gold color this is plenty to get started i think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161975256061
>>
>>9540755
I have several tiny cabochon molds for nail art. I found uv works realky well in them.
>>
>>9541106
This is great thank you!
>>
>>9540377
rubbing alcohol also works fine but on unbaked clay
>>
going to get a varnish to give my irregular surfaces a glossy finish, but i cannot find information about whether an acrylic polymer varnish (brush-on, non-toxic, better for my indoor work environment) will have any reactions with Amazing Clear Cast resin. i doubt it, but have any anons had experience with this?
>>
>>9541001
I bought a bunch of these a few months ago and never used them, try 'safety pin base'
>>
File: 20170702_153322-1.jpg (3MB, 1907x2622px) Image search: [Google]
20170702_153322-1.jpg
3MB, 1907x2622px
Hey y'all. Wanted to share a cheap find I found at a local shop yesterday.
This is a silicone potholder/trivet I found at Jo-Ann's in the candy making section for about $4.50 and it's going to be perfect to use as an inexpensive doming/glazing mat for small pieces. It's 7x7 inches. Also I bought something called a "pyramid" mat off of AliExpress for less than $4 that I use for larger pieces. It claims to be food safe silicone but it smelled weird taking it out of the package, I guess it doesn't really matter because I'm not using it for food and the resin peels up off of it just fine.
I also went by Michael's and was hoping they had the Martha Stewart glitter but they didn't, back to eBay it is then
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-07-03 20.38.47.png (2MB, 2396x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-07-03 20.38.47.png
2MB, 2396x1072px
This is probably a noob as hell question, but if anyone can answer I'd appreciate it! I'm starting to get into soap making and I needed to find some scent oils. Would these make the cuts? They are very cheap and that puts me on edge, would these actually work or would it somehow mess up the soap making process?
>>
>>9545176

I'm worried about their origin immediately. In the Taoboa threads we always speak of never buying items that touch food, can be ingested, or applied to the body.
It's just not worth the risk.

I bought a HUGE bottle of Ylang Ylang oil from amazon for $16

Just go the safe route.
>>
>>9540536
RE: UV resin fumes.
It depends on the brand of UV resin, in my experience. I've used a couple types, and my favourite so far is nearly odourless, only slight fumes when curing(proportional to the amount of resin curing) but for instance, Padico UV resin I bought stunk through the box they sent my package in, and it was even worse when curing.
>>
>>9545673

Which was the non-stinky one?
>>
>>9546438
Well, significantly less stinky at least(again, if you use lots, more fumes will happen) but I get that one from miniature sweet hk. its called something like qiao quiao on the bottle though.
I'd still recommend wearing a dust mask mouth covering unless you have a UV lamp and can cure it away from you, they sell a hand held UV torch which is useful, but means you have to stand right over the resin as it cures.
>>
>>9545673
I've never ever had an issue with UV resin smelling weird, maybe you just have a sensitive nose? Padico smells a little like the dentist's office and that's only if you get up close. Currently I'm using Handcrafter and it has this weird chemical yet herb-y scent? I have some no name Chinese resin in the mail, probably the same kind you got, we'll see what that smells like
>>
>>9546584
It's possible that I do have a sensitive nose, but that doesn't mean the different resins don't have different smells/intensity of smell. It just means to normal people it should be fine, but if someone also has a sensitive nose then this should hopefully be helpful. :)
>>
File: MD2045_large.jpg (18KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
MD2045_large.jpg
18KB, 480x480px
Super noob question that I'm almost positive has been answered a billion times in past threads, but I'm gonna ask again anyway. Do these kind of molds work with UV resin? I know that for UV resin to cure your mold needs to be transparent, but this semi-transparentness just has me a little confused and worried. I'm working on a cosplay and don't really want to waste money on trying something out only to have it fail.

The mold is from miniaturesweekhk btw, it says on the page that it's "excellent for UV resin" but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance!
>>
>>9547740

A good way to check is if light is able to go through it. The mold itself is fine, but mostly because it's an open face so the uv light has a large area to enter.

If you're creating something that has elements which can block the light, either a solid color resin, a sticker, etc, then work in layers.
>>
>>9547740

I use these translucent molds and yes, you can use it with UV resin. Just make sure once it's hardened on one side you flip it to the other side.
>>
>>9547765
>>9547772
That's good to know! Thanks for the info anons
>>
>>9545176
Id try to find a supplier locally. Even if they are more expensive you have to think, you only add a few drops to a batch. So even if the bottle is $6 or something, divide that by how much use you get out of it im sure its only pennies.

My mom used to be into this stuff, soap making and making other beauty products at home. There was a local warehouse/supplier she got all her stuff from. I'm not sure if thats super common but I'd have a look around. Try search terms like "soap and candle making supplies."

If you dont find something locally but maybe an online store based in the US (or wherever you live), I'd be more inclined to trust them than a random chinese ebay seller. Like the other anon said, I'd be worried about how safe the items actually are.
>>
>>9546563

Thanks anon! I've never used uv before and my partner bought me a uv lamp for my birthday to encourage me to go for it. All of my resin supplies are in the garage outside so it could end up being ideal for me in the long run. I'd really like to graduate from the stage of putting stickers and glitter in to make things which requires quicker curing time.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hi everyone! Soap anon here I just made my first crystal cluster soap and I'm actually really liking how it came out! It smells like honey almond. Can I get any opinions on my first piece? :)
>>
>>9546563
A dust mask wont do anything to protect you from fumes, they only stop solid particles
>>
>>9549126
It doesn't really look like a crystal cluster. It sort of reminds me of those Gushers fruit snacks? Sorry, anon.
>>
>>9546563
You need a respirator, not a dust mask. Dust masks are for sanding and other particles only. I think you'll be fine without a respirator, I only get headaches from epoxy, not UV. I'd recommend wearing sunglasses actually, if you're using artificial light to cure your pieces. I noticed my eyes hurting after I was done working a few days ago, even though I wasn't looking directly at my lamp
>>
>>9549319
HAHA, I actually laughed because I hadn't noticed that before. Maybe I'll sharpen the crystals and make them more pointy, maybe that'll help it resemble crystals
>>
>>9549463
Yeah. Right now they look more squishy then crystal.
>>
>>9549126
i agree about the Gushers lol. i want to eat that.

more transparency would be more crystal-like.
>>
>>9549126
I know fuck all about soap making, so ignore me if I'm being retarded, but if you make it more translucent and have a gradient where bits are very purple and other parts are not purple and almost transparent, it'll make it look a LOT more like real crystal. Look up 'amethyst cluster' and you'll see what I mean.
Also, adding a tiny bit of glitter would look nice, especially if it was more translucent.
>>
>>9550523
Thank you guys so much! This feedback is super duper great for me. It's really appreciated
>>
Has anyone else noticed that more industrial resins tend to be a 1:1 mix ratio and ones geared at artists or marketed as "art resins" are not? I don't know what point I'm making here, just something I've noticed
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (33KB, 500x451px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
33KB, 500x451px
Are these a knockoff or anything, or is it generic cute pins?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-anime-Unicorn-Horse-Bowknot-Moon-Star-Cup-Cake-Red-Heart-Metal-Brooch-Pins-/352001775718?var=&hash=item51f4f0d866:m:mS3dyAofjBlDITKAHKOLxeA
>>
>>9552355
Either real or knockoff Swimmer pins.
>>
>>9552366
Ha ha well for that price (and the fact that they're from China), I doubt they're real Swimmer. Thank you for the source, though. Time to see if I can track down the real deal.
>>
>>9552269
Maybe because 1:1 resins tend to be thicker and take a bit less time to set? Or maybe it's cheaper that way?
>>
>>9486733
Do you have a shop anon?
>>
>>9552269

Usually if they're industrial, they can end up being used for rooftops (My dad works in rooflining and has huge cannisters of the stuff)

Think about it, how many posts do we get here or even on youtube of crafters complaining that their resin never setting? A lot of the time its because the resin is off or they cocked up mixing the ratios, and that is not something you want with something which needs to cure quickly and you know, actually go off.
My dad can lay down the resin on a hot day, barely spread it across the flat roof he's working on, and the stuff from the start is already cured and ready for a top coat. So if he's sent on a job when its absolutely baking, he will decline to do it otherwise it can warp, crack, or just cure in the tub before he can get it down.
So with that in mind, we crafters spend a lot more time messing around getting everything just so and need that extra curing time.

Hope this helps!
>>
>>9545176
be careful because not all fragrance oils are body safe.
If you're in the US try The Flaming Candle or Candle Science. They'll tell you what the fragrance is safe to use as.
>>
>>9549126
You might could get some transparency using some of the melt and pour soaps and working in layers, each layer being a different color or tone.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.