[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I brought a homemade bento for me and my friend at my last con.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: cooking-mama-lets-cook_icon.png (110KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cooking-mama-lets-cook_icon.png
110KB, 300x300px
I brought a homemade bento for me and my friend at my last con. It was cold no matter where we went so we ended up getting a hot pepperoni pizza from the hotel café instead of eating my healthy (yet cold) bento of teriyaki chicken, white rice, green peas, carrots, and broccoli.
I once knew a guy who said that he disables the hotel room's smoke detectors, stores fresh ingredients in the mini fridge or small ice-filled cooler, and uses a camping stove to make meals every convention.
Another person I know would actually plan their meals around their cosplay. Naruto? Ramen. Vash from Trigun? Cake donuts. Kakyoin from Jojo? Cherries.

>Overall, what do you usually eat at conventions: snacks or actual meals?
>Do you bring food from home or do you eat at the food trucks?
>Do you visit nearby restaurants for every meal or are restaurants only a suppertime thing?
>Do you carefully plan out your weekend's diet, stick to your everyday diet without thinking, or go all-out on con junk food?
>Have you had bad experiences with con food?
>Have you had any particularly good experiences with con food?
>Do you opt for Japanese food so you can immerse yourself in the ~full con experience~?
>Do you choose your food based on your cosplay that day? (Like if you're cosplaying a character who's known for loving a certain food.)

Share your con food and/or con bento food ideas! Recipes would also be great!
>>
File: Beef-Roll-II.jpg (116KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Beef-Roll-II.jpg
116KB, 600x900px
Short food dump incoming.

>Beef Roll from JustOneCookbook,com
>>
>>9459032
>Chicken meatball
>>
File: Tamagoyaki-II.jpg (93KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Tamagoyaki-II.jpg
93KB, 600x900px
>>9459033
>Tamagoyaki
>>
File: Teriyaki-Salmon-Onigirazu-3.jpg (167KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Teriyaki-Salmon-Onigirazu-3.jpg
167KB, 600x400px
>>9459034
>Teriyaki salmon onigirazu
>>
I get mcdonalds
>>
File: PESTp6y.gif (997KB, 500x267px) Image search: [Google]
PESTp6y.gif
997KB, 500x267px
Snacks sometimes, but I aim for actual meals.

Tried to bring food from home before but the food trucks always seem more appetizing so I usually leave my home food in the hotel room for when I'm poor and/or just really hungry.

>Do you visit nearby restaurants for every meal or are restaurants only a suppertime thing?
Suppertime.

>Do you carefully plan out your weekend's diet, stick to your everyday diet without thinking, or go all-out on con junk food?
Mix of the first two. Just try to avoid the pocky.

Luckily, no. Just had to wait in line for almost an hour once. There WAS that one creeper that went around offering sandwiches to girls.

That one food truck's potstickers were really delicious and I still think about them sometime.

>Do you opt for Japanese food so you can immerse yourself in the ~full con experience~?
Admittedly, yes. Ramen is a good suppertime food since it's easy to digest.

>Do you choose your food based on your cosplay that day? (Like if you're cosplaying a character who's known for loving a certain food.)
Noooooo, I don't want to go that far. Not unless that character's tastes happen to coincide with mine. Takoyaki, yum!

Con food ideas: simple salted and steamed veggies with meat and fried rice with sauce on the side to pour over it. If I could bring omurice to the con, I sure as hell would.
>>
>I once knew a guy who said that he disables the hotel room's smoke detectors,
don't do this. Some hotels have cameras installed in the smoke detectors, so if you disable them, they have your face + room number and you WILL get kicked out of your room, permanently
>or at least don't try this at the Gaylord, folks
>>
>>9459029
We do a mix of brought snacks and buying food at restaurants. Usually do dinners, or a big lunch the last day of the con.
Night before I make a big batch of pepperoni rolls and pick up fresh fruit from the store. Protein, carbs, and vit c.
Don't just eat Japanese because I'm not a fucking weeb.

Once, my squad all went to a KBBQ place for a meal and it was the best con food experience of my life
>>
Typically my other half and I will travel to the con near enough empty handed except for a few snacks for the train and a drink to keep us going to the venue.

From there we'll do a scout of the area and do our 'hunting and gathering' at a supermarket and try to aim to get cheap snacks; biscuits, crisps, hard fruits etc. Basically anything that wont get mashed up or melt around the con, as well as drinks (usually a small box of cans which transport easily) and alcohol there and then to be consumed at the weekend, but that stays in the room. Anything else usually ends up eaten during panels or around photoshoot timeslots and our bags get gradually lighter during the day.

Depending on the con venue we will either get some things that can be cooked on site or order in pizza for one of the evenings. If its a university venue we will save one evening for a nice meal at a restaurant or if its a hotel con, visit TGI's one evening.

At other cons you end up relying on McDonalds or something like that but it honestly depends which one it is. We have a set pattern of what we go for depending on the convention and some of them even have breakfast covered for you so you just fill up then, snack throughout the day and then you only have to cover your evening meal which is easy enough for three days.
>>
>>9459029
bentos are supposed to be eaten at room temperature
>>
File: maxresdefault.png (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.png
2MB, 1440x1080px
i love themed snacks to carry around with me desu. cosplayed taako from the adventure zone (D&D podcast) recently and brought forrero rochers (his canon favorite candy) and a mana potion of blue gatorade and LEDs.
>>
i tend to carry some snacks alongside with my water bottle with me and also eat at least one "proper meal" per day

the food trucks are usually seriously overpriced and/or don't offer vegetarian options, so either storebought or home food for me

usually once, maybe twice per day. and usually i eat at mcdonald's or something similar

thankfully, no

not really? there was a Soi (nameless) cosplayer once who had made strawberry milk herself and was offering everyone a taste and the milk was so good

not really, mostly bc japanese food is super expensive here
(read: i'd like to but i'm a poorfag)

i'd like to? but so far none of my characters have really had a favourite food or anything
>>
>>9459417
loser
>>
I try eat a small, filling breakfast, have a snack midday, then eat a proper meal for late lunch or dinner depending on the time and when I start to actually feel hungry.

I'll try go buy groceries the day before the con starts if the hotel doesn't have breakfast. Cottage cheese + fruit is my go-to.

Usually only for supper. I try to plan meals to avoid peak times at restaurants so unless it's going out with friends I'll eat around 3-4 in the afternoon.

A little bit of all of the above? Eat clean/healthy throughout the day for energy (+ looking good if I'm in a costume that doesn't take bloating well), then splurge later once I'm changed and out of cosplay.

Only if I accidentally have high fat dairy. Then it's not a great time.

The bannock burgers at Edmonton Expo are aces.

I make a point of going to Samurai Noodle whenever I'm in Seattle but otherwise... meh. I'm a "whatever has the least wait time" type of gal.

Only in the sense I avoid eating too much if I'm in something revealing for most of the day. I don't really care.
>>
>>9459040
>McBento
I add a rice musubi + tonkatsu sauce packets to a 20pc mcnuggets. and bring some daikon, ginger on the side.
>>
>>9459029
>>Overall, what do you usually eat at conventions: snacks or actual meals?
As I have to run workshops most of the times, I try to stick to actual meals. I do bring some snacks with me, but most of the time half of them go back home with me as well.
>>Do you bring food from home or do you eat at the food trucks?
Both. As a dutchie we tend to stick to our sandwiches in the morning and afternoon, but we prefer a warm meal for dinner. If there is a decent food truck, we eat there. Otherwise, we order something or pick up something on the way to the hotel/home.
>>Do you visit nearby restaurants for every meal or are restaurants only a suppertime thing?
Only for supper. The venues are usually not that central and walking to a restaurant can take 10 to at least 45 minutes.
>>Do you carefully plan out your weekend's diet, stick to your everyday diet without thinking, or go all-out on con junk food?
Con junk food for sure. Although I do enjoy healthy food, so I choose the healthier options most of the time.
>>Have you had bad experiences with con food?
YES. There is this stand who leaves their sushi uncooled with at least 20 degrees celsius. They also put in some weird shit and it tasted bad. Next, to that, they had some okonomiyaki which was just lying on the grill unattended and overall the food looked bad.
>>Have you had any particularly good experiences with con food?
Yes, one of the maidcafés had really good sushi. Unfortunately, they were sold out pretty quickly.
>>Do you opt for Japanese food so you can immerse yourself in the ~full con experience~?
Nah,
food based on your cosplay that day? (Like if you're cosplaying a character who's known for loving a certain food.)
Nop. I just choose what I like best. May carry around specific snacks fitting to a character, but not only living on that.
>>
For one reason or another, I always cosplay characters that coincidentially wear belt pouches, backpacks, or any other kind of bag as part of the costume, so I'm always able to carry bottled water and energy bars. And since I usually only go to the local con, there's a convenience store and a and a couple of fast food joints next to the convention center.
>>
>>9459321
KBBQ is the best after a long con day
>>
Our old hotel for our con had the parking area right next to your room. We'd just pop the bed of the truck down and use a small gas grill to make burgers and hot dogs. One con we had a ton of hot dogs and started giving them out to people leaving the rave.
I got a hot plate for when out con moved to a nicer hotel but we ditched it since there is a lot more food available at the new area.
>>
Bentos are meant to be eaten at room temperature. If you really wanted to eat something warm, why didn't you just ask the hotel to microwave it? I work in hotel and people ask us to microwave shit all the time.

I do bring my own food for conventions though, mainly because ours are in the middle of nowhere and the food stands are overpriced trash. I try to think of foods that still taste good when lukewarm or cold, so this year I'll be doing finger sandwiches. In the previous years I've made rice paper rolls, onigiri (tuna and mayo, spam with egg and lettuce, mini tonkotsu), pasta salads, empanadas, sushi.
>>
Wish I had the time and patience to make meals during AX. I usually just bring protein/meal bars and eat at least one meal at Little Tokyo with friends. Maybe I'd buy a footlong sandwich at Subway and eat one half before the con and the other half later on.
>>
>>9459029
A little of both. I do a ton of walking back and forth so I figure might as well try all the delicious things.
I just bring water and nuts/granola from home and buy everything else from food trucks and take-out from nearby restaurants.
Only to get takeout.
I try to avoid deep fried foods and get things that include veggies.
Got some salmon bones in an onigiri once.
Had some tasty meals but nothing super amazing.
I get some if it's available but I don't eat it exclusively, gotta have some variety.
I look for food that has low risk of splattering or spilling on my clothes. No long noodles, drippy sandwiches, soups, etc.
>>
File: SCN_0024.jpg (260KB, 1280x937px) Image search: [Google]
SCN_0024.jpg
260KB, 1280x937px
Overall, what do you usually eat at conventions: snacks or actual meals?

Meals all the way.

Lunch and dinner when abroad.

Try to make sure my breakfast is well rounded.

Blue C. Great Atmosphere but also a price gouger. You know you hit a low point when you unironically order an ozeki one cup

Going to Kinokuniya for some food just before we head back home is great when you felt like you were starving the whole con

Always one half decent sushi lunch
>>
I stock up on weeb snacks at Daiso to prevent being tempted by con food dealers selling Pocky and Ramune for $5 a piece.
>>
Free hotel food for breakfast, fast food for lunh if I have time, if not then snacks like granola bars, fruit and cheese sticks for lunch, and then usually a nicer restaurant for dinner is how me and my husband do our con food. I know the snacks for lunch isn't exactly a good idea but sometimes I just get so excited and have so much going on a real lunch just doesn't end up happening.
>>
I genuinely survive off quick meals like granola bars, jerky, dried fruit, water, etc. My con energy is 90% mania and anxiety and my tummy is usually upset from stress anyways. I'm either working cons or I'm practically working because I've got cosplay, running a bunch of panels and other misc. I don't know why I'm in this hobby because it's going to kill me early lmao
>>
>>9459035
>that chopsticks rest
Hold the fuck up, I need that!
>>
>>9459029
It would depend on where the con was.
I'm going to one thats only 20 minutes away this summer for instance, so I'll probably grab lunch at the con and go home for dinner.
>>
>>9466993
Buy a lunchbox, look up easy room temperature meal recipes, and make 6-9 (depending on whether you eat two times a day or three) meals. An hour of prep time for your meals, and you just saved yourself so much money too.
>>
>>9459029
I'd cook a proper meal because I'm not some degenerate weab.
>>
>snacks or meals
Snacks bc less money on food means more money for merch
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.