[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think makes a successful convention?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: WP2.jpg (216KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
WP2.jpg
216KB, 1600x1000px
Sup gulls, with con season coming up to us in full force I started to wonder what it is that makes a good convention. What separates the good, the bad, and the cringe. Since everyone has different views into what they think makes a good con I'll try to present this question in a more sensible fashion. But feel free to just comment whatever it is that you think adds on to the experience.

>How many conventions have you attended?
I lost count, when I first started I tried to attend as many as I possibly could. From there on I learned what quality was and I saw a lot of those conventions die off. Now I only attend 1 or 2 a year.

>What aspect do you look forward to the most?
I personally love getting to see the friends I rarely get to see. And also getting to stay in a hotel room with a bunch of friends getting turnt is the best.

>How much are you willing to spend on a weekend ticket?
The most I would ever pay for a weekend pass is around 60, if I TRULY loved the convention I would think of paying 70.

>Does a cute waifu mascot make you more willing to go? Or do you just go because it's something to do in the area?
Hell yes it does, moreso if they put her as badge art.

>Do you prefer a bigger venue or smaller?
From my experience bigger cons have a lot more problems. They end up turning into sell outs and try and bring up their ticket prices to crazy amounts just because they know people will buy them.

> Do you attend panels? What types?
I think Q&A panels are really poorly organized if they are just straight Q&A. If there's no other content I've seen panels turn into the host just browsing the internet and playing videos that have no relation.(though on one occasion I learned which VA's voiced Hentai at one point in their careers) I wouldn't say I have a specific favorite type though.

>What makes a bad Con a bad Con?
This one is really vague. Bad experiences, disgusting people, expensive food, the hotel, all those things can make an experience bad.
>>
6 a year for the past four years or so. Before that I only went to 3 a year, since around 2002.

Meeting up with friends, meeting new people, cosplaying, and generally having a great time.

It highly depends on the con. If the con provides great programming or something special I'll pay more (my favorite con costs $85-90ish). Small cons or poorly run cons I won't want to pay more than 55.

>Does a cute waifu mascot make you more willing to go? Or do you just go because it's something to do in the area?
No. I can't imagine paying money for a con just because it has a nice image banner.

Medium. The best cons are ones that are successful enough to attract congoers from across state lines, but not so full that they've filled their venue to capacity. I have a great time going to small local cons, but I'd never foot the financial cost to go to one that's far away.

Panels at anime cons are lacking and I usually don't go to them. At big or gen cons like Dragoncon I attend costuming panels, workshops, and stuff with interesting guests.

An exec team who's unwilling to make changes or improve because "people will come anyway". A lot of the big east cost cons suffer from this and it's usually obvious when a con's problems are out of staff's control vs stemming from poor management.
>>
Not sure of the exact number, I'm somewhere over 100 by now. Averaging somewhere around 7-8 cons a year for 15 years.

Getting to see friends, and any events that I might be looking forward to, if applicable. Dressing up, meeting new people, running panels or events if I'm doing them and visiting the artist alley and dealer room.

In the last several years I haven't spent much and rarely buy. I end up staffing or I end up getting a badge for helping out with convention promotion tables. Usually about 50-60 is the average that I'm willing to pay. If it's more than that, I see what I can do to reduce the costs. I try to pre-reg if it's an expensive con. I'll only pay more if the event is really worth going to, but usually by now, you've seen one, you've seen em all when it comes to anime cons.

>Does a cute waifu mascot make you more willing to go?
Nah. But I do appreciate good art and a good website design. It will make the event seem more professionally run. Normally I go because it's either local, or something that I've developed a long tradition of attending.

I like my tiny cons for the closeness and homey feel. I like my big cons for all the cool shit you can buy and all the people you can meet up with.

> Do you attend panels?
I try to. J-fashion panels, art, and other hobbies I'm into. Don't go into many fandom panels unless it's something I feel real passionate about and know the person running it.

Don't know anybody. I'm the oldest person there. Nothing in the dealers room. Artists are crap or have nothing of interest that I want to buy but good art. Panels are all meh. Something bad happens that ruins the con. But honestly after 100 cons, I've never had a truly BAD con experience. Just a few that were really MEH for the above reasons.
>>
>>9455364
>What do you think makes a successful convention?
Friends.
>>
Ok let me show what the worst con I have gone to in the last 3 years. anime usa. I could have ghosted the con, and I would not have missed anything. Artist alley/dealers room was generic and most of those artists went to other cons in the region, there was literally 0 programming, even at utterly mediocre cons there is a programming room that I can use as a chill base (I compare it to say Castle point which is a tiny college con and Castle point is so much better because they have programming).

The venue as a photographer is utterly amazing and i could have literally just taken photos, paid 0 dollars and felt sort of bad that I was a mooch. If Anime USA wants to get dollars (I 99.9999999 do not ghost cons but there was nothing), they need to rent out the amazing classical areas as convention only space, otherwise it's a legit "spending money on this con is terrible."
>>
I've lost count but I don't go as frequently as I used to. I used to go to 3-4 cons per year but now I usually just go to about 2.

I love being able to see friends and kick back and relax and just think about weeby stuff as opposed to school/job/stressful family situations.

I think the most I've spent is somewhere around $70 on a ticket alone and $70 on an event within the convention. I don't mind paying more but the convention has to live up to the money I've paid or I'll be unlikely to attend again.

No, I don't really care but I can appreciate cute badge/promo art.

It depends on the convention. I've been to cons were they've had large numbers but a small space and it was miserable. On the flip side, I've been conventions with fair sized numbers and huge space and it made the convention seem dead. I think finding the right venue is a bit of playing a "Goldilocks" game sometimes. You gotta have it be just right.

I hate character Q&A panels. They're cringy as hell and I think they should be banned from conventions. I like to go to panels with well-researched educational fan panels or industry panels.

Bad panels, no structure/organisation, boring guests.
>>
>>9455364
I want to say around 15? 1-2 a year since 2007

being around a ton of other cosplayers, being in cosplay myself. spending time with friends, being surrounded by cute stuff and indulging in my urgers to hoard cutesy anime shit. sometimes concerts, depending on who's there.

I mean I just forked over 75 dollars for Sakuracon so...

Yes! I love when conventions have a repeating mascot character, like how anime revolution does.

Bigger, mostly. I know a lot of people prefer small or medium cons, but I prefer cons that have 15-25k in attendance with a decently sized venue/location. It just makes everything feel more exciting!

In recent years, not often. Usually I'll attend the panel of a voice actor/designer/musician/other type of guest. There are a few fan-run panels that repeat every year that I attend, but other than that I don't like the majority of fan panels...

boring guests. boy oh boy was this year's Sakuracon a disappointment for that. Luckily, bigger cons can kind of make up for it just on account of having that entertaining atmosphere.
poor organization, long lines, and small dealer's rooms also would make the list. Overall it seems like it'd be pretty hard to have an actual bad time at a con, these are just things that make it less enjoyable than it could be.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.