[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teach me everything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: liz lisa.jpg (157KB, 640x792px) Image search: [Google]
liz lisa.jpg
157KB, 640x792px
Didn't see one of these threads in the catalog
>How did you get started on Jfash?
>What/who is your inspiration? Where do you find it? (Social media, real life, magazines, etc.)
>Do you have anything you'd recommend to beginners?
>What styles do you follow and how did you settle on a look?
>Where do you most like to shop?
>Is this an every day look for you or a weekend look? If everyday, how does Jfash fit into your workplace attire?

I have always been fascinated by the different kinds of Jfash out there. However, I don't feel that knowledgeable. I want to know more about the styles and the people who wear them on a daily basis.
Is there room in the Jfash world for taller, fuller figured woman? Not a fattie by a long shot, just bit thicc in comparison to the girls who I typically see in the fashions I am most interested in. I love larme kei, otome kei, lolita, mori, etc. Basically all those soft pastel looks (I guess)
Sorry if this comes off as ignorant, I just would like to know more, and tumblr is so fuckin warped.
Will be dumping pictures I find particularity aesthetically appealing from my collection to get the ball rolling.
>>
File: bonne chance.jpg (69KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
bonne chance.jpg
69KB, 540x540px
Anyone have any experience with Bonne Chance? Those prices and styles have me hype, but also I'm very cautious of quality.
>>
File: puff earring.jpg (155KB, 858x758px) Image search: [Google]
puff earring.jpg
155KB, 858x758px
>>
File: miki.jpg (186KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
miki.jpg
186KB, 1200x1200px
>>
File: barbie.jpg (487KB, 1105x1920px) Image search: [Google]
barbie.jpg
487KB, 1105x1920px
>>
File: swan kiss.jpg (192KB, 750x992px) Image search: [Google]
swan kiss.jpg
192KB, 750x992px
>>
File: beret.jpg (173KB, 600x757px) Image search: [Google]
beret.jpg
173KB, 600x757px
>>
File: fjf.jpg (134KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
fjf.jpg
134KB, 1024x1024px
>>
>>9448833
>>How did you get started on Jfash?
A friend introduced me to lolita at a visual kei meet
>>What/who is your inspiration? Where do you find it? (Social media, real life, magazines, etc.)
fairytales, magazines, gothic and historical films
>>Do you have anything you'd recommend to beginners?
What are you trying to begin with?? Are you just looking for any Japanese pastel style because you're a weeb?
>>What styles do you follow and how did you settle on a look?
gothic lolita, I look for pieces that are wearable and will last long
>>Where do you most like to shop?
moi meme moitie
>>Is this an every day look for you or a weekend look? If everyday, how does Jfash fit into your workplace attire?
it's an every day look but I wear a uniform at work
>>
I was 14, I was tired of being super tiny and still having to shop in the children's section at American stores, so I was like "Asian people are tiny!" and started looking up Japanese brands and happened upon lolita. Many years later, I decided I wanted more everyday appropriate options for cute clothes too.
>What/who is your inspiration? Where do you find it? (Social media, real life, magazines, etc.)
I mostly look at magazines, but now that GLB's going out of print I don't actually know where I'm gonna find my inspo. I guess I'll finally have to start keeping up with lolita on social media beyond just meets and stuff.
Dressing yourself is an art, just like writing and drawing and painting are - everything you look at is going to inspire you in some way. So if you don't like the way you're rocking your jfash right now while only looking at tumblr, broaden your horizons a bit and check out facebook or instagram. Also, don't try to get a full wardrobe overnight, that never ends well.
Lolita, himekaji, bit of larme, and to a much lesser extent nanchatte. I wouldn't say I've "settled on a look" so much as I just experiment right now. As much as I like classic lolita, for example, I'm also a big fan of sweet and I find gothic to be fun too. For me, it's really more of a matter of making sure each outfit looks good.
Honestly? Taobao. As much as I love making my brand purchases here and there, and I do love it, padding my wardrobe and getting necessities so I can feel more comfortable wearing this on a more regular basis makes me feel better.
>Is this an every day look for you or a weekend look? If everyday, how does Jfash fit into your workplace attire?
It's more of a weekend look for me right now. I'm hoping to get more basics for my himekaji/larme wardrobes so I can wear it everyday though.
>>
>>9448939
There's a new magazine called Eternita, tough so far I don't know if they can manage to bring out a new issue.
>>
I saw some lolitas at a convention and tried lolita out because I loved how much their outfits stood out and how different and elaborate they looked. Didn't last long, lolita really didn't suit me, I just liked the boldness of it. I wear gyaru now.
Old gyaru magazines, stuff like egg has a shit ton of issues so I haven't seen them all yet. I also follow some japanese gyaru on insta.
Do your research before you start throwing money around, you won't get the style until you've been lurking for a while so you'll just be wasting money otherwise. But at the same time, don't try to put outfits together out of stuff you already have if you don't have anything suitable. Just be patient and do your research before you start putting outfits together.
I'm into tsuyome, amekaji and ora ora gal. I wouldn't say I'm particularly settled on any of them, tsuyome probably suits me most but I wear amekaji a lot because it's comfy and not super dressy so you can wear it anywhere.
Mercari.jp, I can get Cocolulu really cheap there.
I'm a teacher so I can't go into work like that. I tend to dress gyaru whenever I'm going out doing social stuff.
>>
>>9448939
I'm pretty novice, so I just learned about it from this post but...Himekaji is sooo lovely! I feel like that could work well in the West too without catching too much slack from normies. I'm glad to see that it's okay to just have weekend wardrobes.

>>9448916
Not a weeb for liking pastel. Are you an edgelord because you like goth lolita?? No.
How do you incorporate your style into your uniform? Do you express yourself through hair or make up?

>>9448955
Do you feel that your gyuaru style influences your teaching clothes?
>>
>>9449042
I just assumed because any japanese fashion is fine as long as it's pastel, what made you want to wear japanese fashion then? I work in a cleanroom so I can't even wear nailpolish but I have a hime cut
>>
>>9448833
I researched the style I liked, identified the vocabulary used within that style and refined my searches by using the "internal" vocabulary of that fashion instead of the base term.

Tumblr, Google, anywhere on the internet. KERA magazine is ending their physical magazine but they will be an online resource soon.

>>Do you have anything you'd recommend to beginners?
DO NOT project your foreigner cultural hang-ups onto Jfashion. The reason why pop culture stuff from Japan fascinates us is it's difficult to understand. A lot of newbs try to apply their cultural norms and assumptions onto Japan and it creates issues that don't really exist. Example; most Japanese fashion retailers make one size (usually meant to fit several dress sizes) clothing. This is due to business structure, it is not a passive-aggressive anti-fat message meant to exclude potential customers.

>>What styles do you follow and how did you settle on a look?
Started with Lolita and now integrate Otome and Mori into my daily wear.

>>Where do you most like to shop?
Closet Child and Wunderwelt. I use Lolita Desu for accessories and brand novelty items / back issues of magazines.

>>Is this an every day look for you or a weekend look? If everyday, how does Jfash fit into your workplace attire?
Lolita is special wear for me. The way I work Jfashion into a daily look is I wear t-shirt dresses, a structured jacket (like a blazer) and then wear brand jewelry, socks and shoes. On weekends I will also use Lolita bags, but not for the work week.
>>
>>9449138
>DO NOT project your foreigner cultural hang-ups onto Jfashion
>Otome
pick one
>>
>>9449091
I love the femininity that is a common theme in the Japanese fashion I'm interested in. I feel that it is truly an art to dress in these styles, it feels much more expressive and balanced than popular Western fashion. I want to tap more into my creativity in more aspects of my life. I just happen to love the pastels and soft colors I find! I guess it is super weeb trendy right now to be an anime girl in a floral skater skirt going "I'm fairy kei"
But that stinks! I know how you feel, I work in a lab and wash my hands constantly, so a mani would be wasted on me. How do you like your hime cut? I've been considering styling my hair that way, but was wondering how versatile it is. My hair usually needs to be up for work.

>>9449138
Those are good tips! I feel like I have seen a lot of the "anti-fat" shit on tumblr when it comes to brands, but I don't take it personally. All about that cultural relativity baby
>>
>>9449148
Okay, I'll call it Soft Lolita or Casual Lolita. This is again in reference to understanding vocabulary; in the English-speaking part of the internet Casual or Soft Lolita is referred to as Otome. Since I am replying to a thread wish is using English, I used the English-speaking preferred phrase.

>>9449172
Now, there's nothing wrong with criticizing the general brand business model of making only one size; I personally think they should jump to the Small, Medium, Large, Xlarge system. What's key though is not assuming why things are the way they are and to approach everything with the intent to try to understand first and then form an opinion based on what you have learned.
>>
>>9448942
I really hope they come out with another issue, I love the look of it.
>>
>>9449138
Interesting point

Recently I showed Larme to a normie friend and she hated it for seemingly "opress" women, making them look like sad lesbians.
There was a surgical mask in the magazine, to which she reacted amazed with how asians have to make them fashion accessories instead of facing the polution problem.
>>
>>9449314
me too, I normally don't buy magazines but I bought that one just because I want them to make a new issue.
>>
>>9449189
Is there a need to do the multisizes? I'm sure not all Japanese girls are the same size, but I wonder if the demand is there over seas.
>>
>>9449324
UGH. Dressing modestly by choice isn't oppression. Not everyone has gotta be titties out 27/4. If it's their choice, fuck off. Not to mention the mask is more about colds and shit right?
>>
>>9449348
desu western brands have too many sizes, sometimes there's only 0.5 cm difference between a size. even if you make 10 different sizes it still wont be right for every body tough so its a bit pointless.
>>
>>9449359
Huh. How defeatist.
>>
>>9449324
What's oppressive about looking like a sad lesbian?
>>
>>9449324
I don't have the link on me, but maybe a year ago (?) I saw an NHK newscast where they went behind the scenes at Larme magzine. They met the staff, went on a photoshoot and interviewed the head editors. The staff as far as I could tell was almost entirely women and they talked a lot about how Larme is supoose to be about a certain feeling, or style, that they personally enjoy and want to promote. So you can tell your friend that the "sad lesbian" look is something being made, produced and promoted by women to women.

>>9449354
The mask is a utility item that can be used for polution and for preventing the spread of illness. In Japan and many Asian countries it's considered an act of common curdisy to cover your face when you are sick, so you don't cough or sneeze on anything.

>>9449348
The reason why I would suggest multi-sizing is because that's how most Jfashion is already designed; Lolita dresses, with shirring, are intended to fit a range of 4 to 6 dress sizes. So my theory is if they expanded it to a few more (described as Small, Medium, Large) then each one could follow the pre-established shirring method. Sometimes it's easier to ask for change in a way that still feels familiar or re-uses methods that companies are already confident implementing.

>>9449354
Also what counts as Modest changes culture by culture. So, again with the idea of trying not to project, it's bad to assume everyone's running on the same script. In Japan cleavage is considered really outgoing or even slutty; but legs for days is not slutty. Where as in America we're more bothered by mini skirts and less by open necklines. It's just a cultural difference.

(Oh that modesty note also: Lolita modesty is modeled after the Japanese perspective of what western Victorian modest was like; think of how many cultural perspective filters that is!)
>>
File: tumblr_od2w69Ch5F1rv5dydo3_1280.jpg (63KB, 600x850px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_od2w69Ch5F1rv5dydo3_1280.jpg
63KB, 600x850px
>How did you get started in Jfash?
Got into lolita through Mana/Visual Kei. Discovered the rest through Livejournal communities and browsing Kera.

I follow girls who inspire me on Instagram and Tumblr, I page through magazine scans and make note of coordinates I like. I also take inspiration from Vintage American fashions.

Pick one style at first and stick with it. Pick your favorite style, one you know you'll get a lot of use from. Don't pick Lolita if you know you'll only wear it once or twice.

I follow Lolita the most strictly. I take inspiration from Larme, Fairy Kei, Yumekawaii, and Gyaru, and have pieces that could suit any of those looks. I buy what I like and worry about settling on a look later.

Western brands like UNIF and Forever 21 for daily wear jfashion inspired looks. Angelic Pretty for Lolita. Listen Flavor for yumekawaii. I search for deals on Closet Child and Wunderwelt.

Currently don't have a "real" job so I don't have to worry about workplace attire. My daily look is slightly jfashion inspired. I always try to dress in something that wouldn't look out of place in a Kera street snap.
>>
>>9449324
to be fair, I'm into Larme and I AM a sad lesbian
>>
>>9449348
Lolita-wise probably not worth it for brands as the biggest consumers are still the Japanese and the new money Chinese judging by how they pander to those markets, rather than larger Westerners. BtSSB tried sizes many moons ago and clearly that didn't work out well for them as they no longer offer this.
>>
>>9449448
I'd actually like to know more about this, if you have any further information. I was always under the impression that several jfashion styles were considered "female-facing"/appealing to mainly women because there are those other fashions that fall under the red letter magazine category that's for dates/appealing to men.

Using quotes because I don't think it has actual associations with feminism or anti-male gaze or what have you, it's just the best term I can think of as a description.
>>
>>9448836
Their dresses are paper-thin and wrinkle really bad.
>>
>>9449500
Lolita is definitely made for women (biological or otherwise) and is not created with the "male gaze" in mind. In a way it's considered a very "selfish" fashion; because it is almost separate from society. We usually use clothing to communicate non-verbally things we want others to know about ourselves, like; How successful we are, how healthy we are, what our best features are, what religion we belong to and how sexually available we are. But with Lolita fashion, people who wear it are basically turning off all the signals and are simply "a Lolita". The great majority of men I have ever asked, over 10 years, have said they find nothing about the fashion appealing. Pretty, yes, but what they "read" from it is a) she's not looking for a boyfriend b) she doesn't care about what you think and c) she's probably doing this purely for herself.
Other Jfashions that might fall into this are things like Fairy Kei worn by men. Guys who wear Fairy Kei are probably doing it strictly for their own personal enjoyment and it usually doesn't appeal to hetero women.

By contrast, most of the male counterpart forms of Lolita fashion; Ouji, Dandy, Kodona, even Steampunk, do get the "women's gaze" usually from Lolitas. Who, while they usually don't want to be seen as sexually appealing, do seem to want a "prince" of their own.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.