[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cosplay Events

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: 9562723182_ecb7f757fc_b.jpg (313KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
9562723182_ecb7f757fc_b.jpg
313KB, 1024x680px
Love em? Hate em? Good stories from participating in one? Ideas for new ones because you're sick of the old ones? Discuss.
>>
Fuck that event in particular. Do they have any idea how much of a pain it is to clean up a stage after people do shit like that? And of course, she won't be cleaning anything cause that is what con staff is for, right?
>>
>>9426094
9/10 times they are weeby, full of cringe, and boring af.
I have stopped going to them all together.
>>
As a viewer I lost interest because :
>everything is people dancing to some popular song that is barely relateable to source fandom
>skits with dialogue drone on
>or have terrible audio quality where you can hear what's being said because mumbles the fox recorded it
>or have a shit story because what can you establish and do in 3 minutes
>actually good performances are usually ballet or recreations of in source material but don't win shit because they bought their cosplay and don't qualify for an award anymore.
>>
>>9426112
Looking at the screen and floor I think this photo is from cosplay chess and is part of a scripted sequence that the con approved of.

This isn't randos doing rando things,
>>
>>9426112
Once one group had real glass as prop and it broke on the stage
>>
I actually miss the time when people gave a fuck about masquerades. Yes there was a lot of cringey shit, but it was interesting seeing what people would come up with and the few gems here and there were worth it. Not gonna lie, some performances give me chills to this day.
>>
>>9426830
>some performances give me chills to this day
This is so fucking TRUE!
This one is still the best for me to this day : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao7GS7uUDsw
>>
>>9426094
What do you mean by "Cosplay Events"

Are you talking about the Masquerade or is it any big time cosplay show?
>>
>>9426995
OP probably means anything regarding cosplay. like cosplay chess, cosplay dances, stuff like that.

or maybe OP just meant masquerades
>>
>>9426995
>>9426999
Masquerade, Dating Games, Chess, other events involving cosplay really.
>>
My local con does a death match
Which is actually -the- biggest event of the con.
I love it to pieces.
I kinda really miss when people did masquerade skits; there were some really good ideas in there. I'm almost motivated to do something myself, to be honest.
>>
File: IMG_5446.jpg (52KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5446.jpg
52KB, 500x380px
>at local con with friends
>dressed as Nico from LL
>go to dating auction for the cringe
>two grown ass men dressed as Nico and Maki go on stage
>go on and on "in character" saying how they're 16 year old girls looking for a boy to take them to the dance later that night. This shit does. Not. End.
>I got the cringe I wanted but it wasn't worth it
dating auctions will forever be cringey, but at least some of the money goes towards charity.
>>
>>9427378
Death matches are always great. They have the fun battles of chess without the boring... chess part.
>>
>>9427378
Is it done by this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkWjsvZ8o3A

Like I get why they're popular but it only seems like the hosts is the one that everyone remembers the most in the end given how briefly the contestants are shown on stage and how little they do
>>
>>9428127
That guy does a lot of events in the New England area and it always seems like he steals the thunder of the participants. He's a good host but he needs to know when to step back and let other people get the spotlight.

He doesn't even try to be the characters he dresses up as, it's always just him in a costume.
>>
>>9428260
Well if you think of it, it's not his fault as really he's the only constant.

The contestants enter and leave in the blink of an eye and if the host is not the least bit interesting then the whole thing falls apart.

The contestants need more time to shine and show case their personalities as the crowd only goes off of character appeal and looks. Without that you are putting all the weight on the hosts
>>
>>9428274
I've seen some good events where even with a quick hi and bye a participant has enough personality to gain crowd appeal - even for lesser known characters. It's all about the cosplayers ability to perform which can be lacking.

But a good host should be able to find a balance instead of just shrugging and go "well people like me it's not my fault." He's very entertaining and has a huge personality, which makes him a great entertainer but I do feel for the other people in the events - you don't remember them, you remember him.
>>
>>9428340
See now I get why I never really liked the event!

For the longest time I saw this and wondered why the heck it was ticking me off. The contestants are having fun, the hosts is good at bantering and the crowd is HOT. Like the audience never loses its enthusiasm for over an hour which is an impressive feat.

Yet still I walked away from this videos annoyed when everything is firing away.

You're right anon, the whole thing really feels like a show that just glorifies the host and only the host.

Are they're any shows similar to this but the cosplayers get the front stage to showcase their personalities. Even in cosplay chess you're really remembering the host.

>It's all about the cosplayers ability to perform which can be lacking.

See this could be one of the reason why the event does well. Cosplayers usually can't perform and looking at the people on stage you see a lot of nervous shuffling and unsure body movements. If they talked it would really take the wind out of their sails.
>>
>>9428405
Dating Game is usually more about the participants because they're actually asking and answering the questions. The best ones are where the host can help bail out someone who is just not able to keep up but otherwise stands back.

I like dating games because of that.
>>
>>9428260
>>9428127
Close, we have Mookie (I think Ctcon might have started the death match, actually. Mookie is life)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JCtypRQiXeM

That guy you posted actually won a couple years back as Bill Nye. I met him before he got big (and was into hetalia), stellar dude.
>>
>>9429197
But, I get that it isn't for everyone; to be honest I agree with >>9428340 that the cosplayer's ability to perform is variable so I like that the host is the main player. There ARE memorable cosplayers, and they make it far as a result; some years there are "quirks" that happen: it isn't uncommon to have some contestants "steal" secondary characters attached to their combatant.
I feel like part of the issue is that a lot of people undervalue the ~play~ portion of cosplay; they just want to get a self esteem boost of compliments without the effort of actually playing around as the character. Also usually the ones that are super into what they're cosplaying have a tendency to be cringey autists. It's rare you get a good enough mix to actually enjoy a cosplay "performance"
>>
>>9429197
Ok this guy is a LOT better

He's not as witty or funny as the previous host but he focuses on keeping the momentum of the show high and really does his best to make each entry sound as epic as possible, It's a lot easier for me to focus on the show and the cosplayers this way
>>
>>9429209
The play part can be hard, god knows I've started shifting towards characters that mean I don't have to do any sort of acting, just be myself and it's similar enough if it comes to participating in any events.

I see a lot of people in events cosplaying characters with lots of personality, lots to work with... and they do nothing. Or on the flip side, they do the completely wrong thing! If your character is shy and quiet, you can still work with that, you just have to know HOW.

Death Match particularly is all about body language and embodying the character. Very few give you the microphone, you need to make your presence KNOWN. Own that stage, even a shy quiet character can make an oomph on stage if you know what to do.

>>9429197
I love Mookie. The man just wants everyone to have a good time and yell, he doesn't give a shit if anyone knows his name at the end of the event just that they had fun.
>>
>>9429425
Same, I tend to choose characters super close to me because a)it's cool to see characters like me and b)it's easier to act in-character. I think a lot of people also feel weird acting. It can be intimidating trying to reach outside of yourself like that. Especially if you don't practice/put some mental effort in. It's similar to posing, in a way.
Slightly OT but what kills me are people who try to be a character on social media (like those cosplay "ask" sites) and get it completely wrong. It isn't like you're being put on the spot, you literally put this upon yourself and had the time to edit/do multiple takes. How do you completely miss the mark.
>>
File: 751c7bd5b9e7f2a8eecf336346f0871d.jpg (696KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
751c7bd5b9e7f2a8eecf336346f0871d.jpg
696KB, 1920x1280px
Local college con has been getting better each year guest and entertainment wise. Last year they has Cosplay Wrestling and it was apparently fucking amazing. But they didn't bring it back this year probably due to safety concerns. I'm gonna see if I can find a video for you guys.
>>
>2012
>Second con i ever went to
>Small local affair with no more than maybe 600 people
>Guy dressed as Guile claims to have a skit
>Him and some pals come out and start trying to fight and do moves, which comes off as tacky and forced and lacks zero planning as if they just decided they wanted to do this only minutes prior.
>Guile straight up sucker punches his friend dressed as Ken
>Ripped guy dressed as Blanka picks up girl dressed as Karin, which did not sit well with her and and she straight up kicks him in the chest
>He falls over in pain and everyone goes silent

I later learned that I was right in none of this was planned and they only did it when one of them signed them up without telling the others.

Blanka guy and Karin girl were actually bf&gf, and coincidentally also had the best costumes of their 7 person ensemble. She only kicked him because he grabbed her by the sides and was causing her shirt to ride-up more.
>>
>>9429459
Cosplay Wrestling with actual wrestling.

The CWF is obsolete now
>>
Eh, they're okay. Though, I went to a cosplay event last year for the first time in years and the thing I remember most was one super cringy girl dressed I think as a Fire Emblem character. She basically just stood there awkwardly waving her arms around for a whole 4 minute song. She may have been trying to sing too, I don't fully remember, but I don't think I've ever experienced so much secondhand embarrassment. It just seemed to drag on forever.
>>
I would like to see more events like cosplay chess take the scripted route and include stories and dialogue.

However if more cons go this way then I would also like to see them audition people
>>
I love the one at acen with mugen
>>
>>9431906
https://youtu.be/lZibgHiUg0A

This one too
https://youtu.be/VY2VhA48ETw
>>
>>9431910
https://youtu.be/jjaOm1VuQxo
This one was also good when I saw it
>>
>>9427484
What is a death match?
>>
>>9431924
See>>9429197
>>
>>9431934
Ah. That's pretty cool actually. If fanime had one, I'd rather that than the masquerade
>>
>>9426094
I'm the avatar you gota deal wit it!
>>
JoJo posing events are always great fun. I just wish my friend got better pictures of the last one we were at.

Pic related, one of the judges dying after I struck a super deep Killer Queen pose.
>>
>>9431956
Fanime has CWF which is the cosplay deathmatch but on steroids
>>
>>9432052
Is that Woolie?
>>
>>9428260
>>9428340
How does he steal the thunder of the cosplayers when he always makes sure to ask the audience to cheer for everyone and active shows his appreciation

https://youtu.be/gkWjsvZ8o3A?t=20m50s

I think he's a great host. Can someone breakdown exactly what they mean when they say he tries to steal the spotlight?
>>
>>9431897
>However if more cons go this way then I would also like to see them audition people
I agree. If I'm going to an event, I want the people to actually be decent. These cosplay events seem to fail simply because a lot of people lack stage presence and don't know how to perform for a crowd
>>
>>9432236
Oh! Never heard of it in my almost decade of going. I feel like lame-o
>>
>>9433457
True story, two cosplayers who won some an award at the masquerade actually skipped out the end to go to the CWF

Have this clip as an example. It's similar to Deathmatch except the cosplayers are allowed to show way more personality and the audience is encouraged to cheer and boo whoever they want.

https://youtu.be/wy1hc8GWF4I?t=13m50s
>>
>>9433501
My eyes have been truly opened. I may participate this year of they have it.....
>>
>>9434271
You should follow them on FB as they already had announced the date, time and room for their next show. If you want to participate then you need to fill out an application as they screen their candidates in advance

Can't post the FB link here but if you look under "Cosplay Wrestling Federation" you should easily find them.

One final tip, it is perfectly ok to apply as a bad guy and troll the audience.

https://youtu.be/MkiX-IsUWHQ?t=16m20s
>>
>>9433092
Honestly it's tough to coordinate that many people. Chess needs at minimum 32 people to be pieces, and while the game is scripted making all these - most likely - strangers meet up before the con to plan and organize dialogue and fights is impossible and ridiculous to even consider.

As a coordinator you start to learn who can perform and get them in the events year after year - it's why most cons have 5 or 6 people you see in the same events every year - the coordinator knows they'll perform and more importantly they'll show up. A lot of people in larger events like chess and death match are cannon fodder, you have them because you need them and expect them to get booted quickly. They take up space. And every event I've participated in has had at least two people not show up to the event and the coordinator has to replace them last minute.

Shit's like herding cats.
>>
>>9434375
Bless
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIpmeTdbxQ
I've been wanting to do a wrestling skit for sometime. I doubt I could do flippy shit, how about overselling the entire match?
>>
>>9434377
Oh yeah, I don't doubt that it would be difficult to get something of that size organized. I think it would be more feasible for the people that have been running events for a few years
>>
>personal fave, so creative
https://youtu.be/-rE6eZGlsqw
>>
>>9434377
Cept that cosplay group actually hosts auditions and usually everyone there is part of the same club.

It's doable but you gotta shut out the randos
>>
>>9429459
I found the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLby9DAq7uU&t=471s
looks pretty cool desu
>>
Masquerade has certainly lost its luster across all cons. However I have no idea if thats because the community itself as lost value in them or it's just a personal thing
>>
>>9434998
I'm a member of a cosplay club that hosts two cosplay events, one in Spring (the main Cosplay Chess) and one in Winter (it's usually an 18+ chess, but this past year they did a different faux game show route). It's my first year in the group, and the upcoming Spring show is my first event. It takes a LOT of planning, because not only are you dealing with 32+ people who are responsible for their own scripts and costumes, you have to factor in rehearsals and where they're being held (we only got the actual stage our show is on this past weekend for tech rehearsal, and we lost our reservation for dress rehearsal so our final runthrough is 2 hours before our show the day of the con. The college that hosts the club/con actively hates the convention so it's to be expected desu but still really REALLY sucks), you also have to factor in music, props, stage effects, stage cues, etc. The show we're doing is for a convention that caps at 1500 (see: the college hates the convention) of a mostly 13-21 year old audience, but it's still taken about 6 months of planning, scripting, and weekly rehearsals.

Honestly for larger cons, I can only see scripted chess shows going well if it's an established group of actors that can make a full year commitment, are all in the same area, and can meet up to rehearse and write the scripts for just one show a year.
>>
>>9438343
While difficult I gotta say the jump in quality is leaps and bounds better
>>
>>9441213
Oh, definitely. I haven't been to an unscripted one (ie, the one at Katsucon), but with the characters and cast we have this year while we could've definitely pulled a script out of our ass in one day and improved the rest, it would be no where as good as the show we've been working for months on.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.