[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what cost?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

How much do you roughly spend on a cosplay? My most recent one came to about £300.
>>
>>9423774
Depends on what it is. Usually between 100-200 dollars but maybe more if i don't already own a suitable wig/contacts or maybe less if i don't want to make a prop to go with it.
>>
I genuinely don't keep up with how much I spend on cosplay because it'll make me want to fucking die.
>>
300-500 is my average. But the one I'm working on now is at 400 and no where near done. I'm predicting 800 which was my budget for it.
>>
>>9424165
>buying something super expensive and letting out a manic giggle of guilt.
>>
>>9423774
Too much
>>
>>9424169
Jeez anon what the fuck are you making/commissioning?
>>
>>9424363
Fabrics are not cheap anon. I'm making Mina's red dress from bram stoker's Dracula ATM. But have made some pretty detailed armored cosplays in the past.
>>
>>9424363
How much are your cosplays that you balk at 300-500?
>>
$200-$400 is pretty standard for me. Usually towards the upper end of that.
>>
>>9424380
They said the one they're working on currently is $400 and nowhere near done with a prediction of $800. Read the whole thing anon.
>>
>>9424363
Sarah's white dress from the labyrinth. The fabrics are pretty expensive and needed a lot to make the cosplay.
>>
Kind of a tricky question. On my last 5 projects, I spent about $200-$300 in consumables each. However I also bought almost $1000 in tools to make things. So all in all, about $1000 a year on my hobby.
>>
I think I spent over $1000 on what I wore for Halloween. Probably more this year since I'm getting custom sclera lenses made
>>
>>9424386
My mistake, I meant 500-800.
>>
>>9424537
Can I ask where from? I want a pair of custom contacts with my prescription and have no idea where to start looking.
>>
>>9424068
Same
>>
>>9424557
Samhain lenses.
When you get fitted by your eye doctor, make sure you get your pupil size (it's something not normally written on contact prescriptions) and show them specifically what lenses (or at least lenses that are the same diameter if you're getting custom ones like me) as the ones you're getting. My eye doctor was incredibly helpful and thankfully had had patients who had gotten fitted for Samhain lenses before so the process was pretty painless.
>>
>>9424068
Pretty much this, even if it's a cheaper cosplay I'll usually end up spending ~30-80 on a wig + contacts.
>>
Between $100 - $300 for me. There are a couple of really simple costumes I've been able to make from left over material or somewhat cheap purchases for roughly $50, but that's usually when I don't have to buy a wig or shoes.
I hate that most simple costumes cost the same amount as my more detailed costumes.
>>
>>9423774
Between 50-600, although weirdly enough the cheaper ones cost me far, far, far more time. I live in a city with tons of thrift shops, and being a filthy LARPer I can just keep on scouring them. Living in the old centre of the textile industry for our corner of Europe, focussed on wool mainly, I have no trouble just picking up several metres of wool, felt, etc. for maybe 2-4 euros a metre.
>>
I've never spent over $150 desu. The less you spend in cash, the more you have to spend in time/working around something that could have been easier with worbla or fancy fabric.
>>
>>9424983
This is true to an extent. Sometimes you just can't get around the fact that you need expensive materials or a paticular expensive item that you can't make yourself (ex: custom contacts)
>>
currently working on a giant puppet. Skeleton may just cost me about $100 alone
>>
>>9423774
$1300-ish on a suit of armor
>>
Current project I'm working on is projected at $500-800.
Largely this is because of custom printed fabric, 3d printed parts, el wire/leds, and some electronics programming.
>>
>>9423774
i wait for sales at hobby lobby
foam boards
and the cloth when it's 25 to 30% off.
superglue/velcro/elastic bands i get at 99/dollar general store

for my agent venom i spent a total of 10 dollars on foam, about 8 dollars on spray paint (painting the white spider, and using black metallic to give armor a cool look), clear airsoft gun was 20 dollars at academy, black long sleeve shirt 7 dollars at hobby lobby, black combat pants were 40 and steel toe wolverines were 40.
total 125.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>9423774
Being the broke college student I am, I'd say $300 at most since I'm guilty of buying nearly all my cosplay needs on eBay. I spent $176 recently for my 2B costume. It's nearly complete though, and only need to craft a katana and buy a fitting leotard for it right now, but I also still need to save up for alterations on the dress because I'm planning to diet down for it.

I feel like I splurged this time though, since I don't think I'll be able to earn back what I spent anytime soon as I only do art commissions on the side. I try to justify my 'overspending' by telling myself that I'm allowed to do this while I'm still young... I'm fucking stupid.
>>
File: IMG_9479.jpg (661KB, 1200x930px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9479.jpg
661KB, 1200x930px
I usually end up spending right around $200 on my costumes if they're mostly fabric/sewing projects.
Trying to come out of my shell a bit more by making some skimpier stuff. Even if there's not that much material to buy, there's always something there for me that will jack the price up, it's usually the wig or I have to buy some materials for the prop.
My grandmother actually thinks the cosplay and convention thing is really cool. She'll send me gift cards for fabrics and what not. Bless that woman. She really helps out.
>>
mine usually hit between $300-500 CAD, keeping in mind that i also have access to a lot of prop building materials for free, and tend to drop a good $100 per wig due to CAD shipping & bulking up ponytail clips

I think the most expensive i've hit was $800 though. I make pretty much everything from scratch and sometimes have to forward stuff from american friends to here in canada too so it's mostly shipping that does me bad.
>>
poorfag here.

Current WiP is going to come in under $100.

My most popular costume came in around $150, not including food costs for fry boxes. Prices will go up dramatically depending on what you're making, and how dedicated you are to 100% accuracy. I've noticed that you can spend more for more 'ready' supplies, or spend less and put in more man hours into work. Cosplay definitely isn't for those with light wallets.
>>
Most expensive costume is 100 dollars not including the wig I think. Cheapest are 30/40. I buy a lot on sale, thrift shops, second hand etc. I only own one very detailed costume that cost me 50. I have a giant pile of craft materials gathered but in total uts pretty expensive
>>
File: file.png (932KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
932KB, 960x960px
>>9423774
My most expensive costume I have made is my movie accurate kylo ren which came to 3000 because of the rare materials and such. My cheapest would have to be my accurate tenth doctor costume for like 600 dollars. Pic related is my finished Kylo
>>
There's a fabric store that's hella cheap near me so I usually don't spend more than fifty bucks on just the outfit, plus whatever for the wig.
The most recent cosplay I've maid was a sailor moon Fruit maid outfit and it cost me less than ten dollars for the fabric, zipper and trim and I already had a wig.

I think the most I spent, was on a Sakizou cosplay with quite a bit of beading and almost forty yards of different nicer fabrics and lace and I still spent less than $150.
>>
>>9430280
>less than $10 for fabric
What planet do you live on where you can get enough fabric to make a garment for less than $10? It's about $10/yd here
>>
File: bri-finish1.jpg (20KB, 359x500px) Image search: [Google]
bri-finish1.jpg
20KB, 359x500px
>>9423774
Generally $80-$120 but I'm really resourceful and I make a lot of stuff from scratch. In the end it costs less than that. My rule of thumb so I don't go broke is to make & sell a 2nd cosplay when I'm putting one together to pay for a new cosplay.
>one of these days I'll break down and buy a Briareos helmet since I'm shit at pepakura don't have the patience to make one
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.