[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much should a person charge for a comission? I just saw this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_7017.png (211KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7017.png
211KB, 750x1334px
How much should a person charge for a comission? I just saw this and was pretty shocked, the most I've seen was 200 for a wig commission atleast. Cosplay varies, but a grand?
>>
>>9398386
Either that girl is bullshitting us, or she got really scammed because she's a dumbass.
Post the cosplay.
>>
File: IMG_7019.jpg (222KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7019.jpg
222KB, 960x960px
>>9398390
>>
>>9398386
I'm pretty sure I know who this is. Weren't they just raving about how fantastic this cosplay was and how it was their favorite? Didn't really look worth $2000 imo
>>
>>9398394
And I was right
>>
>>9398394
Well that actually looks really great. Factor in the time and materials and I can easily see this costume going for the price she paid.
>>
>>9398394
This looks pretty good to me for ~1500..

I'm not sure about the prices in the post those, a 1800 wig? wat
>>
>>9398401
I agree the costume looks great but I think what messes me up the most is like >>9398402 said. Almost 2k for a wig is weird to me.
>>
>>9398401
this looks like shit for that much money. It looks good for $300-$400 maybe, but awful for that much. The silhouette is so horrible looking and everything looks cheap.
>>
>>9398405
I have to agree. It looks good at a glance but the materials that were used really aren't the greatest.
>>
That's the kind of prices GSTQ charges sheesh
>>
>>9398405
>>9398404
That's fair. I was comparing it to actual costume commissions (stuff for masquerades, theatre performances, etc.) than cosplay prices. I think cosplay commissioners always get lowballed so this seems like what I would consider a decent price (for the commissioner anyway) versus the usual get paid below minimum wage rates people end up getting paid.

I'm on my phone so could you point out what looks cheap? I don't doubt you or anything but I legitimately cannot see the details on here.
>>
>>9398394
Trial and Error would have been a lot more cheaper than actually getting this commissioned, especially the wig.
>>
File: IMG_7022.jpg (155KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7022.jpg
155KB, 960x960px
>>9398394
Wig
>>
>>9398394
The price for the cosplay is definitely in the right price range. Did a calculation of what I would've charged (educated seamstress that do commissions) and with a minimum wage it ended up around 1000-1200$. Can't say anything about the wig commission prize since I'm useless with wigs.
>>
>>9398416
This is great, but nowhere near $1800 great. Girl got scammed bad.
>>
>>9398394
$1200 for that is straight tripping balls.

You can get legit movie quality storm trooper armour for that.
>>
>>9398386
I just saw this a few hours and had to double take at the price of the wig.
>>
>>9398439
That commissioner (I've heard plenty of stories anyway) is notorious for charging ridiculous prices
>>
>>9398412
Not either of those anons but the materials look really mismatched and bulky when compared to how she looks in the game, especially the glittery material on her arms and legs. It has a certain sheen and pattern to it in the game but it's nothing like that and it's way more formfitting.
>>
>>9398450
Who?
>>
>>9398457
It's in the OP but Sakura Costumes
>>
>>9398458
>$340 for No Face

That cannot be right.
>>
>>9398468
>Sakura Costumes
She's banned from Cosplay Commissions (for whatever reason)
>>
>>9398470
>>9398468
>>9398458
She has Sombra on her site for $1100 including shipping.
>>
>>9398468
She tried to charge me $390 for a bodysuit
>>
>>9398477
And this looks better than the one that girl is wearing so ???
>>
File: cosplay-reaper-overwatch[1].jpg (62KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
cosplay-reaper-overwatch[1].jpg
62KB, 800x800px
FOURTEEN HUNDRED US DOLLARS
>>
>>9398483
She probably has a team doing this, and has to split the pay or somefuck, I honestly doubt that she does everything alone.
>>
>>9398488
Should hire someone to do her website.
>>
So what would be a better price for both the wig and costume?
>>
File: il_570xN.1180859763_jj03[1].jpg (79KB, 570x738px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.1180859763_jj03[1].jpg
79KB, 570x738px
>>9398507
Considering the place that made the Sombra costume for Blizzard wants $1400 for their Reaper costume with mask & accessories which looks like pic related compared to her $1400 Reaper which looks like >>9398483 I'm going to say a lot fucking less.
>>
>>9398386
wow I was looking at this. she totally got ripped off, should have been more like a grand or less.
>>
>>9398416
I still don't understand how she paid $1,800 for this
>>
>>9398386
Whatever people are willing to pay. At the end of the day, whether or not someone finds it too expensive means jack shit as long as it's selling.
>>
I can't feel bad for these lazy fucks who get ripped off, when they can't be bothered to make their own shit and actually earn the title "Cosplayer".
>>
>>9398416
If the lights and such were in the wig and included in the charge, half that seems reasonable. Like between 600-800 for led programming and labor.
>>
>>9398750
oh fuck i didn't notice the LEDs, that's still a bit much though right?
>>
>>9398734
>earn the title "Cosplayer".

WEW
E
W
>>
>>9398386
I've never paid over $1500 for a single costume from GSTQ
>>
>>9398753
I understand that "cosplayer" means literally anyone wearing a costume, but if you're going to make a huge deal about how it's such a big part of your identity, fucking make your costume. A cosplayer who buys everything will always be below one who makes their own shit.
>>
>>9398394
I don't know what to say. That price actually seems about right as far as the costume goes considering that's a pretty complicated costume with some crazy fabric. That wasn't exactly simple to create a pattern for that worked in real life.

I am shocked about the wig. No, that was not worth 1.800.
>>
Also, you can charge immense prices for something if you know no other company/person was willing to take the commission. The combination of lack of competitors plus someone who cannot sew can be a gold mine.
>>
>>9398483
Now that is not worth 1,400 dollars because that does not look professional.
>>
>>9398752
It is considering the gloves and gun also seem to have LED lighting. Yet, the costume was less then the wig.
>>
File: padm%C3%A9-amidala-cosplay[1].jpg (102KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
padm%C3%A9-amidala-cosplay[1].jpg
102KB, 800x800px
>Check out her site
>This Stormtrooper Helmet.
>This default image name
>$280

I'm fucking dying
>>
>>9398750
A strip of LEDs with some diffusion plastic on top does not make for an $1800 wig. Maybe she meant the price was $1800 including the wig?
>>
>>9398801
Well I meant wig+leds in the wig+ whatever's keeping it there attached to the wig.

I mean I personally wouldn't pay that much for a wig and accessories. But I understand someone charging like 800 for the trouble of it.
>>
There's a huge difference between commissioning a US based costumer and commissioning a Chinese one. $1200 sounds expensive considering the quality of the finished product, but I would bet there's at least $300 in materials alone on that costume not including the wig. Part of that cost is that you're getting something custom tailored to your measurements, which doesn't carry over when you sell it. Asking for 2/3 of the cost of a used custom tailored costume isn't really reasonable. Also, as a commissioner, the reason people are paying these rates is because they want something that no one else has. Turning around and making the costume available in your catalog really kills a lot of that value and is just poor form.
>>
>>9398877
I think 99% of the people here know that Chinese commissioners are shit and that we should be paying reasonable prices for costumes, but this isn't worth the 1.2k
>>
>>9398394
The sparkly material looks so cheap. Like what you'd get for a $5 costume.
>>
>>9398394
$1200 for the cosplay is reasonable
But $1800 for the wig... did she add an extra zero by accident??
>>
>>9399131
Nah, she actually spent the $1800
>>
>>9398386
I do commissions (for a completely different field) but given the labor, I can see that price being justifiable. You're not just paying for the materials here.
>>
>>9398750
followed the wig progress on IG and FB, and the headpieces were cast, the leds were added, and the wig, afaik, built from scratch. lot of work, so seems like a reasonable price.
>>
She commissions cosplays from friends and then sells them without even wearing them, I see her in the cosplay sales groups at least once every other week either selling something or trying to push wig commissions
>>
File: IMG_7113.jpg (122KB, 750x435px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7113.jpg
122KB, 750x435px
>>9398750
Considering all the materials and time, it's alot of hard work. But that does still seem like alot. I guess if people are willing to pay it?
>>
>>9398416
Considering it lights up as well, I don't think 1800 is a ridiculous mark up.

There would be no decent base for this, meaning the commissioner would be stitching on wefts, which takes a hefty amount of time. She would be custom dying those wefts, which takes a hefty amount of time. She would then be cutting and styling them, which takes a hefty amount of time. She would then be creating a safe and functioning electrics in it, which takes a hefty amount of time.

None of the things above are easy to do either, and it's also gotta be a decent false buzz head on one side too.

The people going "omg that's waaaaay too much" either know jack shit about wig styling or are discounting time spent on it
>>
>>9399745
Exactly that. I recommend people check out the commissioner's stuff before shouting it's too expensive, cause she does some great work.
>>
>>9398781
As a person who both styles wigs and makes costumes - it's a lot easier and quicker to make a costume and add LEDs in it than it is to style a wig. It's also beyond simple styling, as there is no base wig that could be used, so she would be starting the wig from the bare bones, and having to custom dye it too.

The material in the costume is costly, but relatively easy to use from experience.
>>
>>9399747
I was looking at doing things like this myself and getting the gear to do it isn't cheap either. So will be getting a little at a time I think.
>>
I think what a lot of people need to realize here is how much time goes into making these things and then understand how much their time is worth, especially is the commissioner is trying to make a living doing it. If it took two weeks to make the sombra wig, assuming 40 hour work weeks, that would translate that
$1800 to $22.50 an hour, not including the price of materials. Depending on where you live, that isn't a lot of money.
>>
>>9399835
WHO THE FUCK IS CHARGING 22.50 AN HOUR FOR A GOD DAMN WIG
>>
>>9400158
Someone who does it for a living? That's a standard wage. People who don't value/undercut an artist's work are the worst.
>>
>>9400194
No.
No it's not.
Especially for a wig.
Cry harder tumblr, but charging that much is fucking insane.
Her products are nowhere near what she charges.

Also, if you're doing it for a living, that implies experience.
And at the price of 1800 and being SUPER generous and saying materials were 300, it took 66 hours to make that?

Yeah no fuck off.
>>
>>9399835
She's German.
>>
>>9400241
In the end, it's a commission with an agreed upon price. The person paid for it and was presumably happy with it. Artists need to value their work because if they don't, they'll get walked over and end up with nothing to show for it. If you don't like the price, don't buy the fucking thing - but the fact that this is conversation at all implies that there are those that are willing to pay and then poorfags who cry about it.
>>
>>9400194
>>9400245
Not to agree that it's a standard wage (standard in what way?), I agree with your sentiments and appreciate your views on artists' worth.

Also people don't forget when you hear some sort of hourly wage for some specialty, it's not the same everywhere. Maybe it's obscene in your city but it could be the norm elsewhere. No point in arguing about it.
>>
>>9400241
>"Artists deserve a living wage"
>"FUCKING TUMBLR GODDAMN SJWS FUCK OFF"
>shiggydiggy

bruh. have a seat, this shit is bad for your blood pressure. if you don't want to pay somebody an honest wage for good work, then don't commission competent people, but stick to ugly ebay shit or do it yourself and have it end up ugly as fuck. It's that simple.
>>
>>9400241
lol 'tumblr' because I believe artists deserve the same decent wage as everyone else? As someone who does commissions as well, I seriously undercut myself as i'm building my portfolio. If someone has the folio and status to charge aprropriately for their work, then good for them. I'm so over people insisting that art/costumes/anything in that line of work should be cheaper. It's custom made, hand-crafted, one of a kind goods. Yeah, there are things that are shit (Looking at you regretsy), but frankly, that wig is pretty damn impressive and was crafted entirely from scratch. Expensive? yeah. Don't like it? Don't buy it, simple.
Don't complain about an artist's prices if you can't do any better yourself. People genuinely think artists should charge JUST materials and like... $50 for their time, and that's fucked. The time spent IS the work. Also, idk if you're american, but $22.50 where I live is a very standard wage for an adult, less than what most make.
>>9400504
Agreed 100%
>>
>>9400543
>but $22.50 where I live is a very standard wage for an adult, less than what most make.

What are you in Aus? The price is in USD you'd be looking at an equivalent of a $2300+ wig.

I can legit get an entire stormtrooper set of armor with helmet hand made and signed from the original fucking prop maker for less
>>
>>9400674
Yeah, that's total BS. The replica recommended by the 501st is $1250 and has a waiting list. Even so these are mass-produced, not custom made pieces. So they really aren't an equivalent comparison by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>9400686
Stop looking at Battle spec you poorfag
>>
>people think it's OK to drop a ton of money on things like this, and then sell it instantly

Looks like someone never learned the value of money, or just have lots of it! (Then again if she's selling it I doubt she has the latter.)
>>
>>9400504
22.50 usd is not a living wage, I never got above 8.00 most of my life. Started making 10.00 an hour and it's pretty nice. If you don't think so you either live in San Francisco or need to live within your means
>>
>>9400727
Or I'm not from the US. You know, whatever. Also, $10.00 an hour? That isn't even considered minimum wage for a 18 year old over here, and that's on a stronger currency than the USD.

>2k17
>implying a skilled craftsman doesn't deserve more than minimum wage for a skill not many people possess
>shiggydiggy
>>
>>9398482
It looks like the one the girl is wearing is just really really poorly fitted. It wasn't made for her proportions at all.
>>
>>9398507
I would say maybe $600 costume and $400 wig, just because it looks like they used EL wire to make the wig light up and that's actually somewhat complicated.
>>
>>9400739
>Skilled craftsman

Skilled craftsmen do make more than min wage but they aren't doing random cosplay pieces. This is the equivalent of someone playing in a professional sports team below national or state level complaining that they don't get a living wage for a skill not many people possess.
>>
>>9400745
It's from the seller's site. It is the exact same one.
>>
>>9400543
I agree but I think most cosplayers (that aren't creators themselves) won't drop that kind of money on one piece. This girl is obviously feeling some buyer's remorse over this which is why she's trying to get her money back.

I completely understand getting paid for time spent, which isn't my main issue. My problem is that none of that looks worth the money. If you're charging that much for your work, it better be phenomenal.
>>
>>9400752
Oh, I thought she commissioned it. Yeah. The Shit doesn't fit her. The solid pieces are way too big for her frame and she looks ridiculous.
>>
>>9400759
She may have and the seller just listed it on her site after she'd made it but it's the same source.

Check out her site for more overpriced madness.

http://sakura-costumes.com/
>>
>>9400194
I get payed 15 USD/h as a industrial worker, there is no way anyone can make that much as an artist.
>>
>>9400751
Imagine not even checking out the commissioner, so you just talk shit instead. She's a professional make up artist my dude, but one who is into cosplay as well, so does commissions for that too.
>>
>>9400836
As an industrial worker, your company provides with benefits including medical insurance, paid time off and a regular work schedule. There are also payroll taxes you don't have to worry about as an employee. People who own their business (even in a sole proprietorship) need to make more per hour just to break even with the hourly rates that people get paid as employees. Plus there's the unpaid time they spend promoting themselves, irregular work flow (cosplay has busy and dead seasons) that have to be made up for.

What's with this attitude that artists don't deserve money? How much do you think an artists deserves to be making per hour? Why do so many people with low income labor jobs think that what they do somehow should be the baseline for the American economy?
>>
>>9400856
>Professional make up artist

Are you legit retarded? being a professional in one field doesn't make you skilled in the other area you supplement your income with.
>>
>>9401560
Sure thing anon, super retarded, because I think people should be paid for their labour, and more if their labour is of high quality. Also make up artists also got to do with wigs, but what do I know. I'm retarded.

sorry you work as a burger flipper anon
>>
File: 1489890623766.png (458KB, 719x714px) Image search: [Google]
1489890623766.png
458KB, 719x714px
>>9399148
>>
>>9399022
I can buy the sparky stuff for like 3 dollar a yard, it is cheap
>>
>>9400727
HAHAHAHA
>people actually believe this
Do you have a car? A mortgage? Student loans? Maybe you can get away with $10/hour in bumfuck nowhere, but anywhere else and you won't be able to afford a fucking cell phone plan - nevermind cons and cosplay.

Someone who does art for a living isn't doing it as a fucking side job while they go to school where 10/hr is acceptable. There's no advancement. That's it. If you think 22.50/hr is some insane amount to expect from your job than you need to get your priorities in order.
>>
>$1800 wig
Bitch where
>>
>>9400727
Do you live with mommy and daddy or at least have a roommate? Being an adult with rent, car payment, insurance, gas, food, internet, phone bill, electric bill, etc; thats fucking impossible on 10/hour. Unless you have the luxury of Bank of Mommy and Daddy, I have no idea how you pull that shit off.
>>
>>9400836
the fuck you on about? Artists can easily make more than an industrial worker. I make $25/h off of freelance art work and I'm not even that experienced or expensive compared to others in the industry.
>>
>>9401903
100% depends where you live.
>>
>>9401560
>>9401588

Make Up Artist is a bad translation for her job. She is a studied Film Costumer (Kostümbildner), meaning she does wigs, costumes, and make up for TV, Theatre and Films.
>>
I don't know about the commissioner but the girl selling it is an absolute psycho. I honestly don't think she's bullshitting on the price; she seems to rush commission FotM cosplays and then sell them off for outrageous prices.
>>
>>9401418
Yes -- contractors always cost a lot more than employees. $20-$25/hr is a reasonable price to hire a maid here, so I'd expect a craftsperson to charge more.
>>
>>9401848
>>9401903
t. lives in commiefornia
>>
>>9401903
>Car payment

Way to be irresponsible kiddo. No wonder you don't know how to manage money.
>>
>>9402004
The maid isn't getting $20-$25 an hour its the company she is contracted from. Her pay is less.
>>
>>9401977
she's done this before?
>>
>>9400194
>>9400836
Dicussing standard and minimum wage on here is kind of redundant, considering that not everyone here is american (which is why these kind of conversations get very repetitive with "Standard wage is x" "NO IT'S NOT BC AMERICA!!!!!!"). For example where I live (outside of the US), minimum wage is aprox. $13-14 (if the currency converter is right) so eh.
Someone mentioned way earlier that they did some calculations and the commissioner probably charged around $22/h for the wig, and personally I think that's reasonable considering the materials they worked with and the amount of work required.

That said, I'm definitely on the side of "Definitely not worth $1800".
>>
>>9400241
Most likely she did, actually. It's taken me a couple of days to custom dye and style a wig so 66hours doesn't seem ludicrous for a wig she has to make completely from scratch with lights.
>>
>>9402613
You only charge for time you're actively working on it. 66 hours means she essentially worked 8 hours a day on this one wig for 8 days.
>>
>>9402512
Oh yeah. She's also changed her name a bunch because I know at least in my circle she's developed a reputation for it.
>>
>>9402024
I live in a shitty part of texas because it's "cheap".
>>
>>9402278
Not sure how that's irresponsible, I've done the whole "tote-the-note" car dealership thing and the car broke down two weeks later, I'm wary of that route. Unless you were being sarcastic.
>>
This cosplay commission shop always ppp up one my feed, and it seems like a lot of people order from them. I don't understand why so many people choose to buy from them when their stuff looks like it's really bad quality
>>
>>9403437
>>
>>9400335
Ikr? I tell my podunk family that I'may making 16/hr and they'really sooooo impressed because the norm is 7.50/hr. Bitch, McDonald's starts at 13/hr here, I should be making more after 8 years at this place doing manager shite
>>
I can get someone charging this much for cosplay, especially considering how much time has to be put into it. I just don't get how someone justifies dropping $1800+ on any cosplay? Why not just learn how to do it and make it for a fraction of the price?
>>
>>9402278
oh shut the fuck up you condescending cuntmunder.
>>
Who do you guys recommend?
>>
>>9403437
Well how's the prices?
>>
>>9401848
Different places have different living wages, if they live in rural PA with literally nothing going on in their lives $10 an hour could be a living wage, but if you have the normal adult responsibilities and live somewhere like NY or CA the living wage goes up, here in upstate NY $22 an hour is considered a living wage.
>>
>>9402278
What, do you buy your cars off fucking Craigslist or does your credit suck so hard you can't get a loan?
>>
She seems happy but if she wouldve went to a pro wig maker and seamstress everything would look better for less money. Its only complicated to a non-pro.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.