[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yet again a larp thread which is for discussing everything related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 371
Thread images: 94

File: fallout3-276.jpg (777KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
fallout3-276.jpg
777KB, 1600x1067px
Yet again a larp thread which is for discussing everything related to Live Action Role Playing and the like.
>"Ask and ye shalt receive!"

"crying because not enough good games" edition.

Previous thread
>>9374808
>>
File: plaguedoctormask.jpg (100KB, 880x852px) Image search: [Google]
plaguedoctormask.jpg
100KB, 880x852px
Spoopy medic.
>>
>>9394688
To turn last thread's mess into something slightly more productive: assuming linear xp progression (twice as much xp makes you twice as powerful), after how many (weekend-long) larps do you think a player should have twice as much xp as a starting player? For me, the "sweet spot" is about 15 events, granted that after at most 30 larps a full xp reset is done.
>>
File: depends.jpg (33KB, 425x340px) Image search: [Google]
depends.jpg
33KB, 425x340px
>>9394742
pic related is my short answer.

I mean these things are not that easy to answer as looking at one specific thing saying AHHA! and done with it. If it would be that easy every halfwit could make a good game.

But here is my first trick question: how often are events happening in this imaginary game?
>>
>>9394764
>But here is my first trick question: how often are events happening in this imaginary game?
I'd say twice a year, that seems to be the European standard.

I do see the problem, though. I think it's fair for someone to be twice as powerful after attending a game for seven years without missing one (or dying), but if a larp has fifteen events a year that obviously will just create an old guard group at record pace.
>>
>>9394769
okay next trick question: what does the characters excately get for they XP? What can they improe with it system wise? Main stats? skills? something else? All of it?
>>
>>9394772
Since I don't feel like answering the next seven questions and I can see where you're going, I'll just give up.
>>
>>9394868
you are no fun.
>>
Does the SCA expect you to wear period underwear, especially for women?

Would it be frowned upon to wear a modern bra hidden in your clothing?
>>
The fantasy larp I play at breaks down like this:

New characters generally start with about 20 xp, assuming you submit a backstory, come fully equipped.

Generally, called skills cost anywhere from 1 to 5 xp to learn. 1 being simple packet spells and minor RP things, like diagnosis ailment. 5 being called 'crush', crippling struck body part or casting 'benediction', which affords you a favorable interaction next time you have to visit death.

Skills are gated behind training modules, which require event interaction, roleplay, and xp investment. [Unlock ranger after spending the event in the woods, can then buy ranger skills]

Aquire 3 xp per event, can earn more by volunteer duty and donating needed items. Cap at 20xp gain per season, 2 seasons a year. [4 to 5 games/events a year]

You come into your own at around 70 xp, that's about when you are considered a threat/midlevel player. There are some older players rocking 300 point characters that can do some bonkers shit.
>>
>>9394935
>>
File: why.jpg (28KB, 400x562px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
28KB, 400x562px
>>9394935
>and donating needed items
I'm not even sure if it's count as a donation if you get something for it.
>>
>>9394935
Sometimes I worry that the shitty fantasy linears system I wrote for my local club is a bit too traditionalist and gamey.

But then I read posts like this.
>>
>>9394924
If the SCA tries to stop me from wearing compression shorts I will face God and walk backwards into hell.

>>9394935
>There are some older players rocking 300 point characters that can do some bonkers shit.
>>
>Was lamenting about costs preventing me from getting into LARP last thread
>Further searching turns up better deals
>Suddedenly think to check e-bay: loads of helmets and bits of armour for way cheaper than buying new
>Remember the few hundred quid I have put aside as holiday funds
Fuck me lads I think I might actually do this
>>
>>9394935
I'm really not fond of systems like this, but I actually do kind of like the need to roleplay out learning skills. Spending the night in the woods instead of at the tavern to pick up ranger skills is kind of cool
>>
File: consider the following.jpg (20KB, 343x284px) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
20KB, 343x284px
>>9394935
Hey, I recognize your game from that description. I came across it while looking for low-fantasy larps in my area, since I'm getting burned out on post-apoc and high fantasy kitchen sink games. I decided it was a little too far outside the range I'm willing to drive for a weekend game though.

Your game has hands-down the most compelling, lovingly crafted setting I've seen in a fantasy larp. I give massive props to whoever was responsible for creating it. A+ job to them. Based on what I read in your rulebook, I love the production values as well--and contrary to what Hungarian says about the donation policy, I think that's probably the best way you can go about getting those needed items without sinking way too much money into running to game. WYSIWYG policy is fantastic, and by all means, you keep doing that. Hell, even your sponsorship program is a great idea and I support it 100%.

I say this as somebody who has read your rulebook and game information thoroughly, so you'll understand that this criticism comes not from misunderstanding your description, but from knowing your game in all but practice. As wonderful as your game's setting is, it amazes me that they've managed to mismatch it to such awful, gamist mechanics. You've got way too many effect calls to remember, several of which are just shorthand for "x damage" anyway; half of the others are so similar to another that they should be rolled into one, or are so niche that they hardly seem worth having their own call.

(cont)
>>
File: saad maan.jpg (39KB, 599x400px) Image search: [Google]
saad maan.jpg
39KB, 599x400px
>>9395259
(cont)
Certain rules, while I can see why they exist, could be handled much better. The rules about turtling and shield size, for instance, are understandable given that shields tend to rule the meta in fantasy larps. But rather than telling players, for instance, that certain real-world shields (like the Norman kite shield) can't be used because of their size--and that large shields can't be used for *the exact thing they exist for, to be a small portable wall*--it would be more useful to include rules for letting others get around shields, perhaps in the vein of Dagorhir's crushing weapons being able to destroy them.

And then there's the issue of having to buy not only weapon proficiencies, but even more proficiencies for silly things like shields and dual-wielding. I could be one of the most skilled swordsmen in the land, but as soon as I pick up a second blade, I'm suddenly a bumbling retard, apparently; meanwhile, it requires special training to know that putting a large, broad piece of wood between you and the sword will protect you.

I just... I want to like your game, man. I really do. I would travel halfway across the country to be able to play in the fantastic world your team has created, if I could only play it with halfway decent mechanics.

>>9395189 is right too, having to roleplay learning your skills is another great idea. My larp has rules for it as well, but sadly they hardly ever get followed.
>>
File: 1480683013687.gif (548KB, 245x176px) Image search: [Google]
1480683013687.gif
548KB, 245x176px
Alright, is taking leeches to a LARP to move the roleplay further (as a surgeon) a good idea?

I guess not, but did anyone here try?
>>
>>9395285
Obviously you can't expect anyone to let you use the leeches on them, but if I encountered someone with a jar full of leeches as a prop I'd think it was fucking awesome - even if it was just a few plastic slugs floating in a jar of water.
>>
What the fuck's with all the armour from India on e-bay? Do they have sweatshops full of starving Indian children hammering out helmets and cuirasses?
>>
>>9395287
Yeah, well I guess I'll just talk them into that if I can. Thanks.
>>
>>9395297
India has cheap steel and cheap labor
>>
>>9395259
>>9395262
Thanks for the kind words. It's a fun game. I agree about the called effects. The game is doing a hard reset in less than 2 years though, so hopefully the rules will be shaped properly into the next reincarnation.
>>
>>9395297
>>9395309

Yes. It's not just ebay, a huge swathe of the stock of low-tier collectors and reenactment shops are ultimately sourced from India and it's often painfully obvious that many competing companies get their helmets from the same factory.

This is most true when it comes to mail, since a child with riveting pliers in a Mumbai warehouse is by far the cheapest way to produce a hauberk.

Where did you think all cheap kit came from?
>>
>>9395419
I thought it was all made by anvil fairies who create LARP and reenacment gear out of the kindness of their hearts.
>>
File: 1470580919475.jpg (869KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1470580919475.jpg
869KB, 1920x1080px
>>9395297
>Do they have sweatshops full of starving Indian children hammering out helmets and cuirasses?

Yes.
>>
>>9395423
>faeries
>hearts

You are a funny man anon, but that reminds me that I need to lay some milk out.
>>
>>9395438
This is now a Mad Lad thread.
>>
>>9395285
I doubt many people would take you up on a good bloodletting, but I'd say go for it.
Bonus points for naming your individual leeches.
>>
>>9395285
maybe not real leeches, but you could make some very cool prop ones

>would you like the swamp leech, or my stock of Caladian peacock leech? They're a bit sensitive to light, but have much more refined palates, seeking out only the bad blood.

After they agree to get the Caladian leeches, take them into a dark tent and attach a little pump thing to cause a sucking sensation. After that, apply makeup to the location as "dressing" to help stop the bleeding.
>>
>>9395852
>little pump thing

A snakebite kit should work just fine for that.
>>
Something I've wondered about - how many of your family members, significant others, friends, coworkers etc. know that you larp? What do they think about it? Has it affected any of your friendships/releationships/etc? Do you find there's a stigma around the hobby at all?
>>
>>9396023
Most of my friends come from larping or ttrpg's, so there's very little stigma for me.
>>
>>9395956
why would a snakebite kit have a sucker? I thought that sucking the venom out was a myth

either way, that would work well. Cover it with some kind of flexible plastic to look leech-y in the dark. Some bioluminescence would be great too
>>
>>9396023
Quite a lot, though I'm reaching the age where it matters less. It's not really seen as pretty bad, but I'm not telling people when first meeting them.

This stuff is like an anti-chick magnet. And to be honest I'm catching more friendly flak for it than a buddy of mine for being gay. Although it's all banter and nothing really bad. It took my rugby team, and the people at the gym, etc. etc. a bit of taking used to though. Slowly educating them.
>>
>>9396190
I am sure regular LARP is perma-virgin but I have always heard SCA was a place where its hard not too hook up with women, or even find wife material.
>>
>>9396212
Naw. As one of the anons stated above me; one of the Dutch LARP events was warned by the proprietor to clean up the goddamn sea of used condoms in the forest.

It's not that it's hard, but I don't want a shag on a LARP/SCA event. I'm talking clubbing or other normie social events. And if you tell somebody you LARP there you can see their panties dry up quicker than a water drop on an iron plate.
>>
>>9396023
The vast majority of my social circle are gamers in one sense or another, so there's no stigma attached. I'm also pretty open about it to co-workers, as they'll eventually see me tagged in event photo's anyway on fb.

Shit, even if they did take the piss, I wouldn't really care. You have to have a sense of humour about playing adult make-believe.
>>
>>9396215
>Naw. As one of the anons stated above me; one of the Dutch LARP events was warned by the proprietor to clean up the goddamn sea of used condoms in the forest.
I don't think Keep is representative of larping in general, though.
>>
>>9396509
True, nontheless, I have been at the chance to have a quick shag at a LARP before. It's not like it's unheard of.

Although most of it does happen only between pre-fixed couples. But who would try and smash at a LARP anyway? I got better things to do, like make sure my armour is clean and I don't get stabbed in bed.
>>
>>9396520
Are you a man? I mean not trying to be rude but a young man's instinctual priorities usually win out, I don't blame them for their nature.

Its different being into hobbies and subcultures as a woman, you have to understand the mentality of the other sex.
>>
>>9396526
I'm the I go to rugby and gym, etc. etc. anon. And to add onto that, I'm 19 years old, currently doing my program to run with the infantry or try and get into officer's school.

With all due respect, I have enough testosterone as it is. And with even all that I don't think about getting a shag on a LARP because;

1. They're really not that hot. They're generally do-able, but not on an "I'll work for this level"
2. I came to LARP, and really don't want to make a shit name for myself by being that one guy who bangs people at a nice family event.
>>
>>9396533
Just saying most guys aren't as inclined to that level of discernment when it comes to getting laid, especially when they are that young and don't have a girlfriends.

Not saying you are abnormal, but certainly less common than most males into subcultures with a lot of interaction with the opposite sex. Not saying they aren't there for other reasons, but its just the natural outcome of that sort of dynamic.
>>
Crossposted from the help thread, because this might be up the LARP alley?

Any recommendations on favourite stores to buy prosthetic ears from? I'm cosplaying a half-elf, and while there are a dozen online options for ears, I've seen cosplays get flak for ones that looked too "fake" or "cartoony" (and can't personally tell what good ears would look like). Thanks!
>>
>>9396533
I have to add onto that:
3. The chance that she's crazy is significantly higher than most elsewhere.
>>
>>9396545
Where are you located, as where you are might limit what options anons have for you.

One tip I do have is use pros-aide rather than spirit gum. It's easier to manage and has a much stronger bond. Downside is you need to clean afterwards with pros-aide solvent to get it all off.
>>
>>9396545
I believe the pro cosplayers use makeup techniques to 'hide' their prosthetic ears.

Brand shouldn't matter to much, its more about their sizing and fit and individual models that should work well with your character design and your ears.

Prosthetics glue is a whole other story though - >>9396613
>>
>>9395363
I check back on the website every now and again to see what's been going on. I look forward to seeing what the reset brings!
>>
Clothing marketed as medieval or actually for LARPing is really fucking expensive, while modern clothing that can fit the bill is way cheaper. For example, I've found a big dumb lace up hippy shirt that'd make a good tunic, and riding breeches should work just fine as hose.

Anyone else found some good, cheaper substitutes?
>>
Does anybody else just find the SCA really dumb and fucking backwards? I don't get why they use boffer swords still when blunt blades are not only less dangerous, but in some cases even easier to obtain and have far better control than those damn bats which have as much finesse as a plank. Then there's "muh arm/leg got cut off", which feels like a fucking children's roleplay more than any kind of sport fighting.

If it weren't for those two things I'd be all in, but it's just hard to get into when those things just rip you out of the immersion so much.There's no variation in one-handed weapons because you can't really use a falchion in SCA combat instead of a short-sword, it's all just sticks with varying masses.
>>
What's the risk of these Indian helmets having sharp edges or tearing, or falling apart? Is there any risk in getting these over something more expensive, or are they actually good so long as you ignore the sweatshop workers? I'm only planning on getting occasionally bopped on the head with a latex weapon.
>>
File: consider the following.jpg (66KB, 719x552px) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
66KB, 719x552px
>>9396824
>Clothing marketed as medieval or actually for LARPing is really fucking expensive

Affordable medieval clothing exists mate, I don't know what counts as fucking expensive where you live but 45€ for a pair of new pants that was not mass produced by Cambodian children is both affordable and a great deal. The thing most people realize is that since the 80's the cost of wares in the west has gone down significantly thanks to currency, trading and labor difference in todays economic system. We used to produce everything locally back in the day, but thanks to globalism you do not have to pay 200€ for a basic pair of shoes anymore, 20€ is now the norm for cheap shoes.

Visit these shops then come back again and complain about cheap clothing solutions.
>battlemerchant.com
>mytholon.com
>deinlarpshop.de

Now then, the cheapest solutions is to ask around on second hand groups for larping, searching through second hand shops for stuff that is near enough to larp clothing or can be converted to be acceptable, or just simply making stuff by yourself at home since the materials are usually just one third or less of the cost of a brand new garment.
>>
>>9396613
>>9396712
Thanks for the replies! I'm in the US.
I've only used Pros-aide before for body paint (and spirit gum + liquid latex for all my other facial prosthetic work), but I'll give it a shot with the ears.
>>
>>9396836
First, just fight C&T if you want to sperg about blunts. I do HEMA and attend An Tir events, and I don't even bother with Heavy Combat. That being said, they use rattan because it's cheap, easily available, and is thick enough to not end up stabbing someone in the eye through their stupid bar grill. The SCA has a lot of issues, but the fake swords aren't really one of them.

Also:
>Steel blunts are safer than rattan singlesticks
Never try to type ever again.

>>9396847
If you're just going for latex/foam combat, then there's no reason to go for the primo shit outside of quality of life. Just be careful and find user impression/reviews if you can. High-quality helmets are usuallying custom-made and designed for fighting; a lot of the cheaper Indian helmets out there just aren't very well made, so you get mismatched eye slits and such.
>>
>>9396959
Also, sewing your own period cloths is a great joy and part of the experience, even if it looks like shit.
>>
>>9397069
>>Steel blunts are safer than rattan singlesticks
>Never try to type ever again.
They are safer though, the rattan sticks I've seen have typically weighed in excess of several pounds, whereas a blunt sword should only weigh maybe two at most. That's a lot less mass being smashed into you repeatedly, and a lot less dangerous if you struck an unarmored target.

Also I'm in the SCA for armored combat. I never had an interest in Cut and Thrust because it's not really about that aspect and is much later period wise than I have an interest in.
>>
I'm in Ausfalia.
No, I'm not that other Australia.
Is LARPing in Australia kill?
The overall quality seems so... Underwhelming...
>>
>>9397169
Doesn't Australia have one of the most award winning SCA groups?
>>
>>9397169
Sure Aussie, cylindrical force right?
>>
>>9397138
That's respectable. I know a huge part of SCA heavy is the costuming/armor ingredients aspect.

Anyways, as for the sword thing; edge profile matters more than you'd think. It's why federschwerts are used in lieu of actual blunts in heavy sparring and tournaments. I'd much rather take a full-force thwack from a ~4 lb Ensifer heavy than I would from a blunt half that weight

>>9397169
I thought ya'll had Swordcraft and all that? As an Amerifat I'd kill even for that.
>>
>>9397321
>I know a huge part of SCA heavy is the costuming/armor ingredients aspect.
Woe is the heavy fighter. You either deal with the SCA's larp-ish rules, or you join a more hardcore group where the chance of broken bones putting you out of work is higher.
>>
>>9397169
Depends on where you are;
Vic has been improving a lot lately and has really been aiming to get to a more "European standard" I guess. Swordcrafts Week-long events are going through some serious yet positive changes and there are a couple of new role-play focused LARPs making their debut this year too.

Australias scene isn't shit, it's just young and taking it's first steps
>>
>>9395259
>-and contrary to what Hungarian says about the donation policy, I think that's probably the best way you can go about getting those needed items without sinking way too much money into running to game. WYSIWYG policy is fantastic, and by all means, you keep doing that. Hell, even your sponsorship program is a great idea and I support it 100%.
I'm all for WYSIWYG things. Also I'm for donating stuff for the game.
BUT if you "donate" so you get some kind of advantage then it's stops being a donation.
Then you are just paying for your XP with other than money. In civilized places players actually donate stuff for the game without they expecting any other return that everyone will enjoy a good game

>>9396023
Well, My brother knows it but he does not take interest in larping, so he is pretty much neutral about it.
My father kind of knows it. I mean I mentioned to him when I was still talking to him, but I can't give a fuck what he actually thinks.
Mother already dead, but I started larping when she was still alive and she approved.
I met my girlfriend at a larp.
Firends are mostly larpers or knew that I'm larping.
I got my job through a larper friend.

In Hungary there is no stigma. Nobody cares what you do in your freetime if you can explain it like a non-retard. But it does affected my life, to the better.
>>
>>9397451
>Australias scene isn't shit, it's just young and taking it's first steps
When does that happen in Tasmania? Oh wait. It never will :(
>>
>>9397321
>I thought ya'll had Swordcraft and all that? As an Amerifat I'd kill even for that.
Not him but holy shit are americans LARP that bad ? I just saw a video of Swordcraft and it's in a stadium.
>>
Is larping only for autistic guys? I'm interested in a vampire one maybe
>>
>>9397699
>Is larping only for autistic guys?
No but people with color gamuts are pretty common.

>I'm interested in a vampire one maybe
What is the appeal of vampire larps to you if I may ask?
Serious question, I don't want to scare you away from larping nor send you there with high expectations.
>>
>>9397726
Oh. I just like vampires and roleplaying seems cool. I thought it's like cosplay but being your own character
>>
>>9397699
vampire larps are for autists only. On other larps regular people might attend too.

I mean look at all the people who play the Word Of Darkness tabletops. Look at them really hard and see those who take it way too seriously. Those are the beginners at vampire larps. The hardcore vampire larpers are even worse
>>
>>9397429
>hardcore group
We have 'hardcore' fighters waft into my Meyer group every now and then. They've reaffirmed every preconception I have about that kind of person.
I'm not saying that some of the SCA's issues or totally forgivable, but jfc at least they have people like Gropey to keep things from getting too retarded.

>>9397625
Our battle games are either:
a.) In public parks
b.) Costume-optional
c.) Both

>>9397699
There's Vampire: The Masquerade LARP groups, but we really don't like to talk about them.
>>
Is it ok to dump larp pics here?

What do you think the weapon of a peacemaking 700+ years old knight should be? (Mace/sword/baton/ something else?) Im trying to add flare to this high fantasy character.
Gonna rock the robed knight look.
>>
>>9397850
Yes.
Sword.
>>
>>9397850
Definitely.

Don't buy a weapon for a specific character
>>
>>9397884
I disagree. Personalized weapons are awesome. Especially staffs.>>9397884
>>
>>9397890
I was overegging the point but
" don't buy a weapon for a specific character unless you've already got a couple of generic weapons or you're confidant you'll use it in other settings or its for a game with low character death where you've played as that pc and are confidant you want to keep playing them or your as rich as Crassus and don't give a fuck"
Is a lot less pithy.
>>
>>9397906
Agreed, but there's a reasonable chance that at least one of those is true.
>>
>>9397786
why dont you like to talk about them
>>
>>9397906
>>9397890
I got some generic swords and batons/maces but i am also looking for something new.
What would be really fitting (in your opinions) for a knight clad in white (we are an order of colored knights and i got the color white).
Not a paladin, just an unaging knight who's usual duties is peacemaking, if not by diplomacy then by force.
>>
>>9397944
Vampire larps tend to be either edgelordfests or gauthist gatherings from my experience.
The local one also has a lot of off time drama due promiscuous folks from both genders.
>>
>>9397850
>high fantasy
Always a sword.

>>9397944
They're bad.
>>
>>9397951
Go the way of ConQuest, go the way of Bible-maces.

In all seriousness though any weapon that can easily be used to apply non-lethal force as well as lethal force would be a sticker I'd say.
>>
Whats the general arts and sciences scene like in the SCA? I feel like most of the meet ups and events tend to focus on combat, with the exception of wars.

Is there usually regular socializing meets for just crafters and merchants?
>>
>>9397850
yes, we used to do that a lot.
Also, shovel.
>>
Opinions on pipe smoking as part of your character?

Was thinking that it might be a cool past time for when on guard duty or when chilling at public places and such.
>>
>>9398184
there are pretty good pipe versions of e-cigarettes if you are not fan of the nicotine stuff yourself
>>
>>9398184
Pretty cool.
Wouldn't do it myself though, I don't want to be seen as a walking meme.
>>
>>9398186
>nicotine
>not smoking weed in your pipe like a proper hobbit
>>
>>9397768
>vampire larps are for autists only.
But you and Grope (or should I say Vlad) are basically from the countries that spawned it...
>>
File: Knightknight.jpg (26KB, 371x404px) Image search: [Google]
Knightknight.jpg
26KB, 371x404px
>>9397850
>What do you think the weapon of a peacemaking 700+ years old knight should be?
Is this you?

imo a broken sword he can't bare to part with, OR >>9398120 because you can't dig yourself out of a crypt/catacomb with a sword.
>>
>>9398342
vampire larps are spawned from the US.
>>
>>9397944
Aside from the other factors already mentioned, vampire larps tend be synonomous with pretentiousness and being cliquey as fuck. Now you can find both things in other games of course, but vampire seems to be by far the worst.
>>
What are some cool ways to decorate a helmet, other than feathers?
Looking for nice ideas to pimp up my Sallet. I thought of getting a long cosplay wig extention to give it that Artorias vibe, but would still love more ideas.
>>
>>9398443
Might be difficult to do on your own but Vitreous enamel? Pretty sure metal is a perfect surface for it and it looks way better than any sort of paint.

Can't find much info on how to do it outside of an industrial setting but if there were doing it in the 14th century I am sure there is a way it can be done by amateurs.
>>
>>9397542
I should probably clarify that the WYSIWYG part had nothing to do with what you said. I just tacked it on the end there because I can't sentence properly.

Anyway, whether you can call it a donation or not is just quibbling over semantics. Yeah, ideally you'd just donate the stuff out of the kindness of your heart, but unless you have a plan to mass-brainwash all Americans out of being selfish cocks, that situation's not going to change anytime soon. At least this way you can see how your donation is being used in the larp. If it was just money for exp, you'd never know whether your money was actually used to improve the game or just so the game's owner can buy a shiny new car.

I'm not saying it's the best way, but it's either that, or have stupidly expensive admission prices, or have a game that looks like shit on the staff side.
>>
File: branching helmet.jpg (121KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
branching helmet.jpg
121KB, 1024x768px
>>9398443
Depending on the sallet, you could always paint it.

Make sure you can remove it though, don't want to fuck up your helmet when you want a new color helmet
>>
>>9396553
How rare are non-crazy women larpers? Unicorn-rare?
>>
>>9398637
Define "crazy"
>>
>>9398637
All the women larpers I've met have been way more sane than the men, but maybe my larp's the unicorn
>>
>>9398655
Well, apropos of what I was responding to, the kind of crazy you don't stick your dick in.
>>
Hey guys, I want to make a shield boss. I was thinking:
>get sheet metal
>cut into circle
>heat with blowtorch
>hit with hammer until into shape
>drill holes for rivets
>enjoy my shield boss that isn't a dog bowl

I'm not sure what to hammer the sheet into though. I've heard people use dishing stumps, so they can go to town on the metal and it'll form into the right shape. How would you guys suggest I make a poverty version?

>tl;dr: I'm retarded and want to make a shield boss or two. Please help.
>>
>>9398655
>>9398666
Further thoughts: quirky is fine. Which raises another question besides the rarity of completely sane women in the hobby: how do you tell whether a woman isn't the 'bad kind of crazy'? Can you? Or is it a gamble?
>>
>>9395259
>I give massive props to whoever was responsible for creating it. A+ job to them.
>t. the creator
>>
>>9396824

Joao synthetic riding boots. These come between 50-60 Euros a pair where a proper set of authentic shoes (let alone boots) costs wel over a hundred, last a dickass long time, don't require the upkeep of real leather and look good enough if high boots are your thing. Fit pretty snugly, too.
>>
>>9398637
The ones you'll pick up on a LARP are 50% batshit insane. This is why you don't go for a quick shag, you get more daddy issues than with cosplayers or lolitas.

Having said that though, if you find a girl and she wants to take it slow and you drag a somewhat decent start for an actual mature relationship out of it there's a high chance she's a keeper mate.
>>
>>9398895
Scour thrift shops for dressing shoes. Brown leather pointy shoes with a clasps are far less rare than you think. And will cost you 5-10 euros tops.

Thrift shops are your friend.
>>
>>9398702
You could theoretically go to a different shape and just have the sheet metal lasered and folded. No need to drill the holes either, like that.

Triangular boss, square boss, hexagonal boss, octagonal boss, etc.

Fold it, weld it, grind it, polish it.
>>
>>9398714
Just don't try to fuck at larps. You're not going to be able to tell the difference between the quirky ones and the insane ones (of either gender) over the span of a few days, and it's the crazy ones who are most adept at manipulating the rumour circuit if they feel wronged.
>>
>>9398557
>but unless you have a plan to mass-brainwash all Americans out of being selfish cocks
I always have plans for that. Not plans that are actually possible, but nevertheless I have plans. It involves a calm summer night 20 years from now, lots of gas-oil and a few boxes of matches
But anyway if you never try to change them then they will never change, leading by example and all that shit.

>>9398637
they are kind of common in countries where larp isn't promoted to the crazy people... or at least not THAT kind of crazy people
>>
Hey, did anybody manage to catch the Epic Armoury "asian costumes" video advert that got scrubbed for casting white people instead of asians?

I left it up in a tab planning to watch it later, forgot about it, and when I went back to look for it it had been deleted.
>>
>>9398988
I still don't get the explosion of shit about that? Like, where's the problem? Is cultural appropriation something other than a meme?
>>
>>9398988
NEA and his wife was in it. Since then the SJWs sent death threats to them because they happen to be white. and being white is racism as we all know it
>>
>>9398988
Nope, didn't see it.

I'm surprised people actually got assblasted over it, It's not like anyone honestly thinks it's going to be actual Asians rather than weebs wearing them.
>>
>>9398989
>Is cultural appropriation something other than a meme?

No, but it's a meme that normies take seriously for some reason

>>9398992
The ratio of white people to minorities in LARPs is problematic, though. This video should encourage more people of oriental persuasion join our hobby.

>>9398988
You watch, as soon as they redo the advert with Asian people, it's gonna be "they are not a costume!" or "these costumes are a cheap and terrible representation of a rich and vibrant culture!"

Fuck 'em. Keep calm and carry on.
>>
>>9398990
also fun fact, originally they wouldn't be in it they would just did the fight choreography stuff, and tell what to do as NEA is a stage fighting instructor, but the original actors were bailing out of him so they were short on manpower and time, that's how they ended up in the video
>>
>>9398996
What confuses me though is how these people can come up with something like 'cultural appropriation' while it stands right against a multi-cultural society.

The whole point is looking at other cultures and taking from them as you see fit or useful. That's a back and forth.
>>
>>9398996
>The ratio of white people to minorities in LARPs is problematic, though.
why the fuck is it "problematic". Why is it a "problem" if some people choose not to play?
Shouldn't it be problematic then in the Japanese larps that there are too few white people there?
>>
>>9398999
Anon, I've been called racist for practicing kung fu under a half Chinese man with whites, Hindus, muslims and black people and anti-feminist for accepting sparring sessions with women.

I've given up on trying to understand their train of thought, and so should you.
>>
>>9399001
>if some people choose not to play?

It isn't, I was just pretending to be retarded
>>
>>9399006
ahh shit... you were good. Sorry I forgot we are in a larp thread. Carry on.
>>
>>9399006
I almost fell for it. :^)
>>
>>9397768
W-what about playing as a Vampire in a normal LARP?
>>
>>9399051
heavily depends on everything
>>
>>9398992
We have three asians in our chapter of 90~ active people, but two of them are bananas. The third is from Hong Kong and she constantly cracks nonstop off-color chinese jokes.
>>
>>9398996
>You watch, as soon as they redo the advert with Asian people, it's gonna be "they are not a costume!" or "these costumes are a cheap and terrible representation of a rich and vibrant culture!"

That's already happening. On the "big epic armory apology tour" thread on facebook, there's a half-dozen people slamming any attempt by epic to bring out any asian-inspired clothing whatsoever, using that exactly "we're a culture not a costume" line.

Fuck that. EVERYBODY's culture is a costume.

Though I have no idea what those actors were thinking taking that job. What the fuck did they THINK was going to happen? Taking on a role where you even resemble a "white person in asian clothing" is tailor made to produce REEEE from SJWs, so how crazy would you have to be to actually take that part?
>>
>>9394688
>LARPing
>2017

Its fun running around with your make pretend character in the woods hitting each other with foam weapons?
I bet you're all pagans too
>>
>>9399377
Its best to just do wtf you want and ignore the SJW nutjobs. Cucking doesn't pay, if no one gave a shit anymore and ignored them they would go away. Capitulating just encourages them to keep throwing tantrums to get their way, this is like basic child psychology.
>>
>>9399382
Literally the worst bait of all time.
>>
File: WhatFoulSorcery.jpg (38KB, 500x514px) Image search: [Google]
WhatFoulSorcery.jpg
38KB, 500x514px
>>9399382
That's some low quality bait.
>>
>>9399382
>Its fun running around with your make pretend character in the woods hitting each other with foam weapons?
This is meant to be insulting but no one here is pretending that isn't what we do.
>>
>>9399390
>>9399395
>>9399397

grow up
>>
File: bark.jpg (85KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
bark.jpg
85KB, 1024x1024px
>>9399413
Cheer up, friend.
>>
File: you.gif (335KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
you.gif
335KB, 400x400px
>>9399413
>>
File: BattleBoner.png (149KB, 692x512px) Image search: [Google]
BattleBoner.png
149KB, 692x512px
>>9399413
Hobbyshaming is my fetish.
>>
just one step above furrys and even then theres incentives to play as a wolf or other furry characters as well so not really
fucking kek
>>
I bet vampire larpers are responsible for this baitshower.
>>
>>9398637
As a woman larper that has been single and non-single during events I'll offer you some advice;
Seduce them in character, girls who enjoy larping get really excited by this and you can tell a lot about their personality by what their back story is. If she tells you shes half angel half dragon with a tragic backstory and her team consists of hovering beta-males then I'd say don't go there. If she's not crazy you'll have a great story to tell the grand-kids about how you met

In the same vain as this, has anyone ever had in-character sex before? Is it worth trying?
>>
>>9399456
I would second this as a girl, most girls (and maybe people) are crazy on some level with varying degrees of hiding it. In-character courting is useful because its easy to let your guard down and let inner parts of your personality come to the surface.

If she has some weird melodrama chuuni-snowflake personality steer clear. If her character has 5 children and her favorite activity is domestic work you might consider marrying her.
>>
File: 1456625241774.jpg (412KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1456625241774.jpg
412KB, 1280x1024px
>there are wom*ns in my /LARP/
>>
>>9399377

Read >>9398997

The (white) fight choreographers got slotted in as the lead actors when the originally-cast Asian actors backed out of the project. Asians WERE cast in the roles.

Epic Armory actually tried to do the right-ish thing and got burnt through no fault of their own.
>>
>>9399456
>>9399458
>In the same vain as this, has anyone ever had in-character sex before? Is it worth trying?
Yes, and it depends, but yeah. It's just like any other kind of sexual roleplaying. We had to establish a "no sex at larp" rule for our chapter, on account of it happening too fucking much and we rent our camp.

We have a girl who plays the most promiscuous megaslut in the universe, hitting on everyone and everything, with a little black book that's separated into chapters. Out of character, she's a hardline feminist. Go figure.

>>9398637
About as rare as the men. Take that as you will.
>>
>>9399456
>has anyone ever had in-character sex before?
Could've but didn't. I know a few people that sincerely think fucking someone in character isn't the same as fucking someone out of character (and in at least one case, therefore not cheating), but I think having sex absolutely isn't something you can do IC only.

On the other hand, if you just want to fuck someone both in and out of character, then go for it. It just don't think it'll be much different from doing it out of character.
>>
>>9399473
>Out of character, she's a hardline feminist.
Stunning. Also she would be stoned to death or shunned if modern LARPs gave a shit about authenticity.
>>
>>9399456
>In the same vain as this, has anyone ever had in-character sex before? Is it worth trying?
do you mean IRL sex that was kind of in-character, or ars amandi sex and the likes?
>>
>>9399456
I had the opportunity to
Down to the girl was naked and in my tent and still in character.

My character was a priest though. And I took my path seriously. I couldn't break character.
>>
>>9399515
10/10 you are the larper I aspire to be.
>>
>>9399515
just like in my Japanese animes. did you push up your glass before walking out as well?
>>
File: bruce lee approves.gif (856KB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
bruce lee approves.gif
856KB, 360x203px
>>9399515
>>
>>9399515

this is why, if you must play a priest character, you always make sure to be a priest of a fertility diety.
>>
Is Live-Action role playing exactly what it sounds like?
>>
>>9399515
I approve everyone who goes after their brain instead of their dick

>>9399651
nah, it's different. But it's different in a different way for everyone. Because it sounds different for everyone.

Also meanwhile. Drachenfest tickets arrived
>>
>>9399659
>Tickets
>not free build-up entrance

How will I enjoy your Gypsy magic for almost 2 weeks if you don't come in early Hungarian?
>>
>>9399668
well, you simply can't because gropalope is the gypo warlock. I'm the honarable slav Landsknecht with zero magic
>>
File: ShineMyPrivilege.jpg (45KB, 350x482px) Image search: [Google]
ShineMyPrivilege.jpg
45KB, 350x482px
>>9399677
>honourable
>slav
>HONOURABLE
>LANDSKNECHT

Haha, your evil magicks almost foiled me again.
>>
>>9399686
I only got the magic of friendship and excessive violence
>>
File: Hungarian.png (696KB, 800x4122px) Image search: [Google]
Hungarian.png
696KB, 800x4122px
>>9399702
Same.
>>
File: 1487962268050.jpg (28KB, 609x609px) Image search: [Google]
1487962268050.jpg
28KB, 609x609px
>>9399477
>I know a few people that sincerely think fucking someone in character isn't the same as fucking someone out of character (and in at least one case, therefore not cheating)
>>
>>9399515
Only kind of related, but at one of our local battlegames we had two dudes who took their 'knight' personae way too seriously get into a row over a girl. I got to witness first hand as two swaggering alpha nerd types took turns socking each other in the gut until one collapsed.

>>9398900
>thrift shops are your friend
I agree, but careful with this mentality. On one hand you can find shoes that work perfectly or standalone accessories, but *please* don't just buy a collarless button up or a leather vest and just call that shit garb.
Thrifted clothing is a great way to scrounge for fabric or flex your tailoring muscles, but it really isn't the best place to find good costuming on its own.
>>
>>9399686
Honorary, anon, not honorable.
>>
>>9399729
If I were that person, I'd kill myself
>>
File: 1473256484676.png (622KB, 475x823px) Image search: [Google]
1473256484676.png
622KB, 475x823px
>>9399515
/larp/ never ceases to surprise me
>>
>>9398984
>I always have plans for that. Not plans that are actually possible, but nevertheless I have plans. It involves a calm summer night 20 years from now, lots of gas-oil and a few boxes of matches
>not using koolaid
amateur
>>
>>9398988
>>9398989
>>9398990
>>9398992
>>9398996
Why wouldn't you just go full on ninja or samurai and wear a full Mempo?
>>
>>9399377
I love how they forget there actually are recorded cases of both white and black samurai, so technically it checks out. In fact, if anything, they should be apologising for creating token white and black samurai characters.

I wonder how triggered people would get if a couple of white dudes created "tribal" (ifyouknowwhatImean) inspired armour and kit?
>>
>>9399515
The Gods will reward you for your piety and faith brother.
>Imbibe the RedMana, disregard succubus, acquire enlightenment.
>>
File: my shamefru face wren.jpg (2MB, 2490x2490px) Image search: [Google]
my shamefru face wren.jpg
2MB, 2490x2490px
>>9400051
>forgot picture
>>
>>9400057
Why would anyone have a problem with white people dressing as celts?
>>
>>9400051
I think they were showing off Japanese clothing, rather than armor

haven't seen the video, just what I've gathered from the shitstorm
>>
>>9400057

Do it, if someone gives you shit, say you are Aiel, the white kind of hopping dancing, shield jiving spear chucker.
>>
>>9400071
because some people are hardcore autists
>>
I kinda want to play as a souless warrior summon npc for an upcoming larp.
I want to start by finding a good mask that looks like an intimidating face (a la immortals from 300) any ideas how to make/where to get something like that that will also not fall off or move around while fighting?
>>
>>9400749
Maybe you can get a visoered helmet, with a face like visor or something. That will most likely hold up even in a fight
>>
File: FB_IMG_1477309005125.jpg (63KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1477309005125.jpg
63KB, 528x960px
>>9400760
Sounds solid enough, where to look?
You dont usually see "faced" helmets
>>
>>9400771
Pic related ia an early attepmt from years ago*
>>
>>9400771
there are various versions. Also, are you from spain?
>>
>>9400777
I'm Israeli.
However, Im going to visit Thessaloniki in early april.
>>
>>9400781

Take a picture in outfit on the White Tower.
>>
>>9400781
close enough. That means european vendors are an option for you.

I recommend a helmet visor/faceplate/whatever because wearing a helmet all day is still more comfortable than wearing a mask all day. The visor is usually at some distance from you so you can breath and don't sweat it through, etc.

Now the thing is, you can either can get a closed helmet, or just a face plate/visor/whatever for an open helmet. Both is a viable option, although both has their problems.
It will be expensive if you want the face shape made by metalwork, but painting is an option too.
>>
>>9400749
>I want to start by finding a good mask that looks like an intimidating face
see
>>9400063
>>
File: FB_IMG_1482513194237.jpg (66KB, 748x748px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1482513194237.jpg
66KB, 748x748px
>>9400784
Planning on doing a shoot at Jerusalem in a full crusader kit in the coming year.
Ordered a sugarloaf already and usually i borrow chainmail from a friend.
>>
>>9400791
You're an cool kike, mate.
>>
>>9400794
I do try

>>9400785
I think ill get an airsoft mask, repaint and detail it. Its less then half of the price.
Thanks for giving me the idea
>>
>>9400797
that's an option too. Although try and test if it holds up against accidental hits
>>
>>9400813
From my experience, the mass of a larp weapon (unless its uncharacteristically heavy or at an unsafe velocity) is not enough to move it if it is properly fastened
>>
>>9400818
depends on the mask, some cheap plastic ones could shatter.

Seen some airsoft masks with a metal mesh that could hold up to a lot of things.
In fact there was a guy who approached my halberds shaft with a more than zero starting velocity with his head and only the mask saved him from a broken nose.
>>
new to the board,
larping for 3 years,
campaign style high fantasy/horror boffer larp.
look up underworld larp for more info.

what's the best way to deal with power gamers who wheel and deal OOG to get their shit rolling in game?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1486604402754.jpg (11KB, 500x297px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1486604402754.jpg
11KB, 500x297px
>>9400830
Feed your community something high in moral fiber.
"What happens oog has no bearing for what happens in game"
Its a healthy mentality
>>
>>9400830
I prefer shooting them into the Danube or fire, but a shovel or a meat grinder is acceptable too.

That or clear communication and peer pressure.
>>
Tactical knights, yay, nay or gay?
Really tempted to make a group of these in the next fitting larp
>>
>>9400864
>fitting
Keyword right there. Don't push tacticool when the setting doesn't have it. If it does, go and be awesome.
>>
File: 1477759000447.jpg (92KB, 500x479px) Image search: [Google]
1477759000447.jpg
92KB, 500x479px
>>9400870
>>9400864
I love militaria and knights.
I am now at a point where i can kit bash that look without spending an extra dime.
Im sitting very eagrly to do so for some time.

Ill post pics when i get home today.
>>
>>9400830
>underworld larp
Why does UW attract such shitters? Everyone I know who's ever touched it has turned away from it in disgust.
>>
Any Frenchfags in here?
Are there any other LARPs like Kandorya ? Tried it last year but it was pretty poorly done, really felt like I was playing a bad RPG with a cheap Gamemaster telling me "It's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit" over and over again. And not letting me fight people cause it would hurt them.
>>
>>9399519
>>9399600
>>9399914
Thank you

>>9399586
No, I don't wear glasses in game, contacts all the way

>>9399625
We all have regrets anon. Mine was worshiping the faggy good god

>>9400059
The hilarious part was she actually did worship an evil god. I don't know if this was the start of a conversion arc, and now I never will.
>>
>>9401004
>not being allowed to fight because they might get hurt
The fuck?
The party who refuses to fight should be either behind a wall or in the initiator's mercy.

This is fighting ffs, you can even get hurt in a pillow fight.

With people i know from the local community i even grapple and throw (carefully but its still very physical)

I even lifted 90kg of men and used them as shield one time and we werent hurt.
>>
>>9401018
Im not even /fit/ just in minimal shape and 65kg 1.80m.
Fighting in larps is about style, controlled strength, controlled aggression, communication, selling, and dealing.

I could type a wall rn but im waiting for someone to ask.
>>
>>9401004
I met a fun group of french larpers at drachenfest. While I don't know much about the french larp scene I know that they and a few other larp groups use the forum letrollbaveur.fr
People there might help you with your problem
>>
>Decide on surcoat I want to buy
>Go to bed
>Open up site, ready to buy all my shit
>Design in the colours I want sold out while I was sleeping
FUCK
If anyone here has experience with Mytholon, do you know how quickly they restock their stuff? I need all my bits and pieces by the 21st of April and I live in the UK, so I was already worried about stuff not reaching me from Germany in time, but this has thrown an even bigger spanner in the works.
>>
>>9401018
Well, it's very strict. For exemple, you can't hit someone with the tip of your weapon, can't hit 'em on the head even if they have a big helmet.
Which means that archers are pretty useless in battles because they can't shoot at people unless they have a clear view.

I heard that there were problems a few years ago because a guy tripped (?) a girl that was trying to assassinate him.

>>9401032
Thanks mate, will take a look!
>>
>>9401028
Please tell, then.
>>
>>9401040
>I heard that there were problems a few years ago because a guy tripped (?) a girl that was trying to assassinate him.
As in, sidestepped and purposely left a leg in place, or accidentally knocked her over in trying to dodge? Because if the game has a 'no physical contact rule', complaining about the former is completely justified.

>you can't hit someone with the tip of your weapon
Do you mean you can't stab someone, or are you disallowed from striking with the extreme end of the weapon at all?

I generally agree with the 'common' larp safety rules (no physical contact, no stabbing, no hits to the head or groin, no shieldbashing, and holding back strikes and charges at all times) to beginner-proof a larp. Not because breaking these rules is dangerous even when done right, but because breaking these rules can be dangerous when done wrong. In the stress of combat, it's all too easy for a beginner to accidentally forget to pull their blows, and I'd rather not have one of those aimed at my head.

However, I think there should be some formal or informal way to ignore the rules if both parties agree on it. Drachenfests "freikampf" or something system sounds like a good idea to me.
>>
>>9401036
Mytholon is being a bitch with orders right now, esp. on sales.

When something is sold out though it can be anything from a month to 3 months before they're back in stock. You can send them a quick email though, they respond decently fast.
>>
>>9401061
That's a pain. I sent them an e-mail asking about delivery times the other day and I'm still waiting on a response. How are they with delivering stuff abroad? Their page says 3 - 6 days for most stuff, but that's within Germany no doubt. I'd like to think a month is enough for something to get over to England, but at the same time I'm kind of worried about placing the order in case LARP day rolls around and I'm missing half my kit.
>>
>>9401060
>no physical contact, no stabbing
explain to me why do you think these two restrictions are important and under no circumstance should someone stab a guy or someone touch another someone
>>
>>9401069
I don't. Read my post again.
>>
>>9401074
I mean why does a beginner need those kind of "safety"?
Why does it need to be a rule to don't touch someone?
People sometimes touch each other. obviously some don't like this and then they will raise they voice if that would happen.

But the moment id became a rule everyone needs to obey it. But if there are exceptions and it became more and more of a guideline then again it doesn't need to be a rule.

Stabbing thing I can't really understand either because in my eyes a weapon is larp safe only if it's also stab safe
>>
>>9401060
>As in, sidestepped and purposely left a leg in place, or accidentally knocked her over in trying to dodge?
Well, she came at him trying to kill him, he saw her and to defend himself he put her down on the ground. A "leg hook" but less brutal I guess.

>Do you mean you can't stab someone, or are you disallowed from striking with the extreme end of the weapon at all?
The latter. So you can't play with a rapier and polearms are juste kinda dumb.

Agreed, but then people shouldn't really get in fights if they don't want to get hurt, even if it's LARPing. You can just stick to politics and all.
>>
>>9401028
What are your opinions on showy fight endings between friends? I've seen many honor duels devolve into two sweaty grown men in low riding breeches and flipped up tunics wrestling awkwardly, I'm vague attempts to provide entertainment for the onlookers.

Don't get me wrong, it's always impressive to see guys with backhair that tapers so precisely into nutcracker hair that it looks like it's been trimmed to do so. But after the third or so impromptu wrestlemania it gets old.

What are other ways take duels look better?
>>
>>9401117
Ass Crack hair, not nutcracker hair.
>>
File: received_10210844455976809.jpg (69KB, 564x846px) Image search: [Google]
received_10210844455976809.jpg
69KB, 564x846px
>>9401040
>cant stab
A lot of European weapon makers make shitty weapons for stabbing or dont bother with making sure the tip of the core wont poke through (easily doable with some thick fabric and adding extra centimeters to the tip)

Potatoes (aka hits that connects with the head) should be avoided regardless, this can easly knock people off balance and/or if the weapon isnt up to snuff leave a scar or worse.

If you sneak up on someone ita your responsibility to nit fuck up like that

>>9401043
Well, whenever you decide on hitting someone else with a stick make sure you stick to a fighting style, you can combine existing ones or use an already existing one and add a unique flare to it if you don't find anything that fits you perfectly.

Now practice basic strength and control, your swings should be strong and swift but you must also be able to 'brake' the hit. Make sure you can always soften the blow as hitting as hard as you can wont win you any friends unless both parties consent to actually hitting eachother.

Each style has its own minute touches that makes it look good and certain drills that makes you more apt to use it.

For almost all one handed (60 to 120 tops) its a wise idea to practice wrist strength as such:

Stand a distance from a wall/target that allows you to fully extend your arm, shoulder high, along with the weapon in question pointed at said target/wall with few centimeters to spare.
Focus on a single point at shoulder height and only use your wrist to swing at the wall and then reset to a 90 degrees angle.
Preform sets of fifty. After you have that one down try swinging from other directions using only your wrist.

When it comes to two handed weapons practice similarly but use the entire arm and upper back muscles.

So now that you have a safe amount of strength and control you have the meat of the hamburger that's called combat.
Time for the sauce.

(To be continued)
Typing this from my phone at work so ill be slow.
>>
>>9401124
They check the weapons to see if the tip is good at the start of the game.
>>
>>9401084
Not everyone at a larp likes to fight or get hit, and not all that do like to get hit hard or in the head. Some might have some injury or disability, some might just be fucking pansies. Likewise, plenty of people won't like being restrained. I don't think it's right to place the burden of bending the rules with them, especially since it's often hard to voice your objection to those things before they happen.

Then again, I think that should only go for people who don't know each other. If you've fought someone before and know their limits, do whatever. I -think- that's also what you mean with the guideline thing?

>>9401086
Banning people from using dedicated stabbing weapons (such as Calimacils Agrippa) does indeed feel dumb. However, it avoids the situation where two people are both holding spears and only one can stab with it, which feels equally dumb. I'm not necessarily opposed to stabbing at larps, but if it's there I want everyone to be able to stab, and I want proper weapon checks in place.
>>
File: received_10210844406935583.jpg (65KB, 564x846px) Image search: [Google]
received_10210844406935583.jpg
65KB, 564x846px
>>9401117
Ill get to that in my guide i guess.

>>9401124
Cont.

Style is essential in larp fighting. You can be quick and strong all you like, without style and flare you are boring to fight and look at. Practice basic moves, make sure you preform the right rather the quickly, film yourself from the side as you do so you can review it and improve. If you really want to add >spins make sure you have the proper space for it and at least try to make it look as cool as possible.
A well excuted and controlled move looks and feels better then flailing wildly (unless the scene calls for it)

Quick note:
>but anon i wanna fight wild like an orc or a barbarian, they do not adhere to rules of martial arts.
That's still a fighting style just not a historical martial art.

Styles i personally recommend for beginners are:
Two handed sword western (greatsword)
Plenty of stances and mindsets, a simple easy to use weapon.

Fencing (Rapier)
Very theatrical and the fighting style itself is very pleasing, easy to get into a smug playful mindset with, great for learning to combine the roleplay with the fighting aspect.

Eastern two handed sword (katana/nodachi) very visually striking and instantly recognizable (major downsides is that it doesnt fit many larps and groups, probably get ridiculed if you dont pull it off perfectly)

Sword and board
Classic, pragmatic, can still look good.

Now is a point where sparring is really important. Spar with a friend or if your community has weekly meetups then practice along with it. This is also a great chance to learn about other player's redlines. Some folks are ok with taking a soft punch, being thrown to the ground and disarms, other folks will complain about being hit by the most basic and softest of strikes.

Tbc
>>
File: FB_IMG_1486238268315.jpg (136KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1486238268315.jpg
136KB, 1440x960px
>>9401184
Cont.

Communication is key in fights, if you don't know the fighter but you want to try something more advance (that you are well versed and practiced multiple times successfully before) try to communicate it before the fight or signal during the fight if you didnt manage to talk about if beforehand. CAREFULLY initiate (given a "go") the move and see how they response, be as gentle as possible.
if they look too surprised or overwhelmed, safely fumble (miss or make sure they are in balance if you misread) DONT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE OF YOUR OWN AND YOU OPPONENTS LEVEL (skill level oog of course)

This is where character and other personalisations come in.
Ask yourself before a fight, "will it enhance the scene or does it fit my character very well?"
If yes is the answer you should initiate a fight in a character appropo manner.
Now that you are in a fight and know how to fight well and safely think how your character would act in it.
Are you a "champion" type? Strike heroicly and with finesse, no cheap tricks and feints. Use your strength and might in a CONTROLLED yet dominant way. Smile during an honorable fight and put on an angry face when your opponent is fighting in an unhonorable way.

"Rogue-ish" type use quick strikes and cheap tricks, misdirect and taunt if you must fight head on. Sneaking up to your targets and try to deflect and dodge rather then blocking outright.

I can go on and on about types and i will elaborate more if prompted, hopefully you get the idea.

We added the sauce (style), veggies (roleplay), and we have the meat of it (technique and control) seal the deal with a good bun.

Selling hits is super important and winning is meaningless if you dont do it in a cool or crafty way. Selling and dealing hits is the way to make fights fun for your opponents and your spectators. Selling a hit appropriately lets the enemy know what's up and dealing one properly lets you opponent to sell it better.
Example to follow (tbc)
>>
File: rip.webm (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rip.webm
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>9401184
>Styles i personally recommend for beginners are:
>no halfswording
Not useful at all in LARPs, but holy shit does it look good.

https://youtu.be/4GoQlvc_H3s?t=2m12s
>>
>>9401124
>A lot of European weapon makers make shitty weapons for stabbing or dont bother with making sure the tip of the core wont poke through
There aren't that many who still do this as far as I know. It could be better but nothing really life threatening.

>For almost all one handed (60 to 120 tops) its a wise idea to practice wrist strength as such:
I have to disagree. Learning to cut from the wrist is bad form, can fuck up your wrist, and isn't that practical either. You should use as little wrist movement as possible most of the time.
I understand that doing stuff from the wrist is easier and it's less possibility to injure yourself with it because of the lightness of the larp swords but it's still bad form, and most of the stuff you can do from wrist can be done from the elbow.

>>9401161
fighting safely and not touching the other guy is two entirely different thing.
I mean seriously, one is fighting, the other is not fighting.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480305649760.jpg (45KB, 720x498px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480305649760.jpg
45KB, 720x498px
>>9401235
Lets assume you drank a potion of invincibility which makes you immune to non-magical weapons or something of the sort.
You know you are ROIDED be they don't, even then sell their hits. You are impervious to damage but still act out as if a metal stick impacted you, recoil a little but dont show pain. If you are playing a larper worth his salt he will realize something is up. You let the opponent know you have some sort of effect on you completely non-verbaly!
Was the hit just a graze or hit nothing but your dress? Act it out! Check your clothes for "battle damage" maybe even say something about how rude of them to ruin a nice peaceful garment. They got a solid hit on you? Cringe in pain! Fall or stagger! Drop your sword (if you feel comfortable with doing so)! Wear an angry expression! Recoil! Clutch the wound or dent in the armor!

>>9401117
Duels are the purest form of fun in larp fighting, also where you can dare the most elaborate moves. Practicing cool routines ahead of time even just going all out (assuming the two fighters are evenly matched) will look and feel great. Sell and deal hit properly! Work up your stamina for long combos/flurries of strikes that look good. Good technique will always look better then wild flailings. I can give you more specific tips if you would elaborate on which weapons and personas you fight with.
>>
>>9401250
Part of two handed western swords.
I can get into details but this was pretty long as and 4chan's 2000 character limit.

>>9401267
My bad, i didn't intend to imply one should overstrain and strike from the wrist but having that wrist strength gives you that extra control in a pinch. Its only one excercise i preform as part of practice.

Do i start namefagging now? Feels almost obligatory after this much typing.
>>
>>9401298
technically speaking it's not wrist strength. There are no muscles in your wrists, it's the forearm's and the hand's muscles.
And while it is important to strengthen your forearm muscles during fencing your wrist should be straight most of the times. There are a few exceptions, especially with saber like stuff, but still the safe thing is to keep it straight and as little motion with it as possible.
It's not the end of the word if you move your wrist but I never advise it.

And about the namefagging, it's your call
>>
>>9401288
saved
nice posts
>>
>>9401288
About the duels, nah, I'm never the one taking part. I have a big staff and use it exclusively to keep nasties away from me. I was just looking to see if anyone else was as accustomed to seeing the knock down, drag out, bar fight esq endings of duels as I am.
>>
File: steady.png (406KB, 600x388px) Image search: [Google]
steady.png
406KB, 600x388px
>>9401339
I mean a good duelist will end it standing not in scuffle on the floor.
just goes to show that their character or the lack off. my prefered finish is either with a swift execution (if the cur deserved it and it wont ruin the scene or larp for them) or leave them humbled and on their ass.

>>9401335
mind posting it so i can save it?

>>9401318
while for proper technical fighting it is crucial to not use the wrist as much (in most cases) I do think that extra strength give a degree of control useful in larping.
and im just saying wrist to ease on reading comprehension, some people look at me funny when i tell them to move and train their forearms muscles.

I have more pics saved on my phone then on this new pc
>>
Has anyone here bought a tent from Garb Geek (http://www.garbgeek.com/tents/) before? I'm thinking about getting one but was wondering about the quality.
>>
>>9401429
In general, I'd strongly council against buying a tent not made by a dedicated tentmaker.
>>
>>9401004
You live in fucking Europe. Just hop on a train and choo choo you way over to Drachen.
>>
>>9401004
idd with>>9401477
>>
>>9401477
>>9401485
next time I will tell the US guys who are asking for a larp near them to hop on a train and go to Canada
>>
File: ORaightu.jpg (110KB, 752x908px) Image search: [Google]
ORaightu.jpg
110KB, 752x908px
>>9401494
solid advice all in all
>>
>>9401494
But There aren't good Canadian larps?
>>
>>9401505
arguable especially if you compare them to US larps
>>
>>9401436
Fair enough. Would TentSmiths fall into the category? They seem to be cheaper than Panther Pavillion.
>>
>>9401505
Not him but isn't Bicolline one of the best LARPs out there?
>>
Where can I get accurate weave riveted maille that would make for a quality 13th century kit?
>>
>>9401528
http://allbeststuff.com/Chain-Mail-Armour
their chain stuff is mostly good, stay away from anything else
>>
>>9401551
>http://allbeststuff.com/Chain-Mail-Armour
Ech, their plates and most of the helmets look ugly
>>
>>9401562
that's why I said look only at the chain stuff.
>>
File: neverbetagainstajew.jpg (22KB, 294x271px) Image search: [Google]
neverbetagainstajew.jpg
22KB, 294x271px
>>9401567
>didnt listen to hungarian larpfag
>now im blind
jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>9401494
Except we don't have super cheap and super fast trains. We have super slow and super expensive chains. And you need a passport. You don't have those kind of problems in the EU.
>>
>>9401634
*trains
>>
>People pay £100 to crew this

http://www.balrog.co.uk/

fun is dead
>>
>>9401528
You'll be wanting good old 4-1 maille, with round rivets on round wire links and flat solid links. The smaller the ring diameter the better, 6mm is best if you have that sort of cash.

It won't be perfect, but only maille autists would be able to tell and no one who payed less than $15000 for a byrnie has accurate maille.

Maille coifs are almost universal even on short sleeved shirts and are (with a very few exceptions) integral rather than seperate items in this century. Maille mittens or gloves are likewise attached to the sleeves of the hauberk.

You will need to alter the armour to get a good fit, especially on the coif. Buy a set of snips, riveting tool and bag of loose links that match your armour.

Allbeststuff is the cheapest around, and virtually all maille comes from India anyway so it makes little difference in terms of quality.
>>
File: Monster.jpg (6KB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
Monster.jpg
6KB, 250x150px
>>9401637
monster
>>
>>9401637
Quality design
>>
>>9401634
then again while people speak english in canada they mostly speak german on Drachenfest, with a little bit of english here and there and nearly no french at all.
And probably from some parts of france it would be similar the transportation cost than from some parts of the US, etc
>>
File: whirlingdervishesegypt.jpg (89KB, 450x315px) Image search: [Google]
whirlingdervishesegypt.jpg
89KB, 450x315px
>>9401643
>Every mass battle desends into this
>>
>>9401652
Isn't most of Europe at least Bilingual, if not Trilingual?
>>
>>9401658
nope. Only in a fairy tale. That means some percentage of the population speaks more than one languages. But there are also more than two languages around here. Which means lot of people who speaks two language can meet without a way to communicate.
English is the most widespread that's for sure but even then nothing is guaranteed.
You CAN play without knowing german. You can play even without knowing english. But it's still not the same.
>>
>tfw two proper stage combat dudes met up at an even recently
>they niticed each other in a skirmish
>basically eyes locked in a bromance sort of way as they could "sense" each other
>charged towards each other
>afterwards ebin combats between them every day
>sometimes people would stop mid fight and just watch
>tfw they somehow managed to avoid getting in trouble for doing things like spear tackles, clotheslines, etc
>they were perfectly fine at the end of the event and went their separate ways

But they REFUSED to teach anyone how to fight like they did. Why?
>>
>>9401707
>Why?
because you do more harm than good if you spend 5 minutes how to do dangerous stuff instead of... you know, go and learn it properly through months if not years of practice under someone qualified to teach it.
>>
>>9401707
Trade secrets B, you cant just tell everyone.

I have a degree in physics but that's what ill end up an actor sooner then a physicist
>>
>>9401707
Same reason I don't go around teaching a passable krumphau. If two dudes are good at fighting, that's their business. They have no obligation to teach you shit.

Also knowing nerds, they'd manage to fuck it up, hurt someone, and blame it on the fighting style.
>>
File: renaissancem15.jpg (24KB, 300x558px) Image search: [Google]
renaissancem15.jpg
24KB, 300x558px
A quick outfit consulting:

I'm going to play a fancy noble in an upcoming game, and my outfit is going to be similar to pic related, but:

-The cape will be Red
-Going to have black pants, loose though.
-Something that'll resemble more of a Cavalier hat.

The white undershirt stays. Now, what colour should I make this vest/sleeveless shirt thing so it'll match the rest? Black seema like the best option, since it can be mixed&matched the best, but I feel it might look too strange with the black pants.
>>
/pol/ is making fun of us again

boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/117710052/wants-to-preserve-european-culture
>>
>>9402257
Yawn
>>
>>9402257
They can't even shit on LARPers without uncontrollable sperging.
These people helped elect the current president of the United States of America.
>>
>>9402291
You trying to imply there was a better option?
>>
File: berkley-gulp-leeches.jpg (17KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
berkley-gulp-leeches.jpg
17KB, 350x350px
>>9394924
What? No, modern underwear is fine. Its not like anyone is going to see it anyways. That said, once you get into more period clothing, you'll find historic underwear works and fits better.

>>9395059
You've never worn linen braies on a hot pennsic day. Its like heaven.

>>9395285
>>9395287
I use fishing lure leeches for my historic education demos. Pic related.

>>9395297
Yep, and they will freely steal pics and lie their asses off.

>>9396212
>I have always heard SCA was a place where its hard not too hook up with women, or even find wife material.

Flirting is a huge deal culturally in the SCA, so you best have some personality and something to chat up. If you can't pitch woom, it won't be any easier, and you'll be just as lonely as you are now but with more bruises and in silly clothes.

>>9396836
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about

> I don't get why they use boffer swords
They don't use boffers.

> blunt blades are not only less dangerous
As both an ACL and SCA fighter, fuck no. At the force SCA heavy swings at, the whole of the SCA would need to be a lot more heavily padded and armoured than what we do with batons.

>have far better control than those damn bats which have as much finesse as a plank
Its a baton dude.

> Then there's "muh arm/leg got cut off", which feels like a fucking children's roleplay more than any kind of sport fighting.

Most people don't do that and take suitably hard arm/legs as kills.

>There's no variation in one-handed weapons because you can't really use a falchion in SCA combat instead of a short-sword, it's all just sticks with varying masses.

Have you actually read the rules? A falchion, its a mass weapon, just like an axe, mace or hammer.

Why not try going to a practice or two, and actually reading the rules before making a fool of yourself?
>>
>>9402376
>They don't use boffers.
It's a big dildo shaped stick, it might as well be one and it's what the HEMAfags call us anyways.

>As both an ACL and SCA fighter, fuck no. At the force SCA heavy swings at, the whole of the SCA would need to be a lot more heavily padded and armoured than what we do with batons.
Only the people who think going light is a "kit", and I hate those people anyway as they tend to look disgusting.

>Its a baton dude.
And it has no good balance to it like a sword. It's a club. Real swords barely weigh anything and are far less cumbersome to use than what is a glorified baseball bat. I fucking hate foil, but at least I could instantly redirect the blade on a dime with little exertion at all.

>Most people don't do that and take suitably hard arm/legs as kills.
Lucky for you then.

>Have you actually read the rules? A falchion, its a mass weapon, just like an axe, mace or hammer.
That is not at all what falchions are supposed to be. Falchions aren't a amss weapon, they have the exact same mass as any other sword, however their weight is distributed across a wider surface than a sword of similar weight. And that's just feeding into my point- it's degenerating all the complexity of weapon types into these very basic things which just come down to different weights. Maybe your stick has a spike on it, but that's it.

>Why not try going to a practice or two, and actually reading the rules before making a fool of yourself?
I go to practice and refresh myself on the rules constantly. It doesn't change they're arbitrary bullshit with LARP nonsense tossed in that really needs modernization.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1489726075339.jpg (322KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1489726075339.jpg
322KB, 2048x2048px
>>9397138
>>9402419
>sticks I've seen have typically weighed in excess of several pounds

Now you fucked up, and proved you're just a troll. We have weight limits you gasping retard.

>>Also I'm in the SCA for armored combat
>I go to practice and refresh myself on the rules constantly.

I highly doubt it, as you've proven you have no single clue how SCA combat works. What kingdom are you supposedly from?

>I never had an interest in Cut and Thrust because it's not really about that aspect and is much later period wise than I have an interest in.

The vast majority of my local cut and thrust are vikings.

>It's a big dildo shaped stick
Nigga, its a stick. If every stick or tube is a dick to you, you got an issue.

>That is not at all what falchions are supposed to be.
A weapon with mass distributed in such a way that it creates heavier cleaving impact? Yes, its a mass weapon.

>Only the people who think going light is a "kit", and I hate those people anyway as they tend to look disgusting.
I'd rather see guys in bare minimums with good soft kit than people in rusty costume steel. Lets see your kit.

>>9397173
No, they just have a paywall created by import costs, meaning that those who pursue it, tend to have to drop a lot more money on kit and such on principle.

>>9398085
Hugely important, and most events have several contests with themes, and usually classes. You can literally learn ANYTHING in the SCA, from people who study or do it professionally.

Furthermore, most local groups have weekly A&S nights as they do fighter practices.

>>9398184
Do you smoke? Get a good pipe and a good blend, and be courtious around groups.

Ignore >>9398186. He is a communist.

>>9398342
>Grope (or should I say Vlad)
What?

>>9398443
pic related.

>>9398702
OR! buy one. I think $20 is easy enough to save.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB3997

>>9399625
Or Slaanesh

>>9399668
LGypsy magic is my department.

>>9399677
>gypo warlock
Gypo spellthief, thankyouverymuch
>>
File: 2017-03-07 22.07.52.png (129KB, 333x332px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-07 22.07.52.png
129KB, 333x332px
>>9397699
>is larping only for autistic guys?
Yes

>>9398184
If you dont smoke pipe already, dont start for a larp.
If yo are a cigarette smoker and want to smoke, just smoke a cigarette.
I doubt people will mind.
If its the modern look of the cigarette that bother you, just roll them.

>>9398637
We all gotta be a little crazy to enjoy larping.

>>9399382
We call them Toyswords and yes, its really fun.

>>9399397
I love you petit pepperronni

>>9399515
You did the rigth thing.

>>9399651
Its worse.

>>9400749
What about makeup instead?

>>9400830
They wont go away and you cant know who will become one.
Let them have their fun but dont let them ruin yours.
In my experience the best way to deal with them is to let them play between themselves.

>>9401117
I dont get why people at larp always take off their shirts

>>9401124
>>9401184
Mon dieu! Le fashionista!
Also, keep up writing your guide on combat.

>>9401515
Yes.
But canada is gigantic so unless you are already in Quebec,its a long voyage.

>>9401634
Depending on where you live you can join a convoy of americans driving to bico.
(If you are in canada just follow our sole highway and turn left at the tim horton)

>>9401707
Because they dont have to do anything they dont want to.

>>9402257
Dont bite.

Btw,
There is a dude at bico who just posted this.
Its an atlas of every kingdom and guilds and their war history since 1999.
(Its in french btw)
http://www.guilde.freepgs.com/pages/guilde.php?pa=atlas&id_guilde=1
>>
Hey, does anybody here know about Medieval Albania prior to the Muslim invasion and the Turks fucking it up?
>>
>>9402500
>Depending on where you live you can join a convoy of americans driving to bico.
>(If you are in canada just follow our sole highway and turn left at the tim horton)
Well I live in California. Not only does driving take forever because of traffic, but the longer the trip the greater the chance of dying horribly. We drive like the French.
>>
File: received_1296568477087428.jpg (129KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
received_1296568477087428.jpg
129KB, 1080x1920px
>>9402502
At that point,a plane ride would be your best option.
You can probably get plane tickers for cheap if you start looking for it asap.

>We drive like the French.
Drunk?
>>
>>9402507
No, just like lunatics in general. Not quite like cab drivers, but incredibly aggressive. I actually wonder if Californians have a brain parasite from eating raw meat too much like the French.

(Fun fact, around 30% of the Frogs have a brain parasite from eating poorly cooked meat that causes erratic driving via poor spatial recognition and reaction speeds)
>>
>>9402451
>mass weapon
Not the dude you're replying to, but most surviving falchion are built like contemporary swords in terms of mass distribution/handling. Calling them 'mass weapons' would be implying that just about any weapon you swing would deserve that title.
>>
File: 1370612815899.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1370612815899.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>>9402544
Excet falchions- more properly falchiform swords- is both a heinously wide, and massively overused description of any chopping sword, typically with mass distributed to the tip of the blade, usually in a characteristic swell.

The smaller, uniform thickness blades that some people refer to as falchions, are no different from any single edged hangers. Most people in the academic world when referring to true falchions, refer to the former.

Pic related: An extant, true falchion. It is most certainly a mass weapon.
>>
>>9402566
And another.
>>
File: 15thC Infantry hanger repro.jpg (220KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
15thC Infantry hanger repro.jpg
220KB, 800x600px
>>9402544
>>9402566
Where the confusion comes, is from the popular misuse of the falchiform designation to describe any sword with a single edge. Pic related is not a falchion, but a typical infantry sword. The single edge was a practice of cost and practicality, but the blade is uniform in shape with the exception of the clip point (added to make thrusts easier even with the single edge). For all intents and purposes, it functions exactly as a cruciform blade if one edge was left unsharpened.
>>
>>9402572
https://youtu.be/rUqWHx5k1Zo
>>
>>9402574
>https://youtu.be/rUqWHx5k1Zo
I didn't say they were like axes,but its literally a machete. You're taking this to an extreme, but it is still a hacking, chopping weapon, and his academic research is woefully incomplete and assumptive. He thinks there are only two freaking extant falchions for fucks sake.

They point is, in comparison to a single handed sword of the period, and the weight and function of the blade is using the mass to increase the force of the blow in a hewing action.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1489396073527.jpg (48KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1489396073527.jpg
48KB, 1200x675px
>>9401288
>>9401235
>>9401184
>>9401124
Kike's declassified, roleplay fighting guide?
>>
>>9402574
He's not as bad as Lindybitch, but he isn't any smarter either.
>>
>>9402113
You left yourself with black as the only option

>>9402500
On which topics would you like me to explain further?

>>9399382
Ahoy goy, there's a new jew on the block (I dont practice any religious stuff)

>>9402509
Clearly never been to Israel.
Crazier drivers are out to kill you on even narrower roads.

Anyone knows of a good fitting larp worth flying over to with a full tactical knight kit?
Even just to play as an NPC or something i just really want to work that kit.
>>
>>9402608
>bully lindy
RUDE
But why ?
>>
>>9402501
>>
>>9402113
1. Don't use black. It's an ugly shade and although really expensive to make in medieval time (I thought it was atleast) also will look cheap unless using expensive materials.
2. Use thights. No, really. if you don't want to make tight hosen use tights. Loose pants are fucking gay.

Nothing triggers me more than a good costume ruined by modern cut pants.
3. Cavalier hats are bae, but once again, go with different colours. Vibrant mixed with a dash of dapper.
If you don't you'll just look like a roundhead with a Catholic tailor.
>>
>>9402257
>>
>>9402300
I heard about some guy, maybe Borty Sonders maybe?
Anyway the upside of the trump presidency that non-US persons have 4 years worth of comback against any US citizen

>>9402376
>A falchion, its a mass weapon, just like an axe, mace or hammer.
cutleranon is on suicide watch

>>9402419
>It's a big dildo shaped stick, it might as well be one and it's what the HEMAfags call us anyways.
the HEMAfags call SCAdians "big dildo shaped sticks"?

>>9402451
>A weapon with mass distributed in such a way that it creates heavier cleaving impact? Yes, its a mass weapon.
please stop

>>9402585
>I didn't say they were like axes,but its literally a machete
holy fucking shit. Stop with the drugs already

>>9402615
>Anyone knows of a good fitting larp worth flying over to with a full tactical knight kit?
>Even just to play as an NPC or something i just really want to work that kit.
heavily depends on the kind of fighting you want
>>
>>9402688
You differentiate by the amount of combatants or something else?
>>
>>9402740
well that's one of the options yes. And how intesne fighting you want what kind of rules etc.

Drachenfest for example has HUGE battles, but in germany they take safety pretty seriously, so no stabbing and stuff like that.
But it's a HUGE game and you can find a lot of people who are willing to play into it more. There are groups who are okay with everything, orcs for example are okay with tackling grapling, dropkick, etc.
But that's just a part of the palyer base so maybe your all-in-all impression won't be good if you only want serious fights.

tl;dr: it's about number of combatants, how serious/safe should be the fight, and what kind of rules should it have
>>
>>9402751
Im ok with getting reasonably rough and i dont mind being part of massive fights or one on one combat.
Im looking for a larp where wearing mostly plate and mail with tactical garnishing and aesthetics can work.

Been to drachenfest before (my pals tell me they even met you) but its more of a fantasy kitchen sink rather then everything goes.
Otherwise, me and a group of friends would totally join a camp as time travelers from a bleak future filled with war and operating.
>>
>>9402763
>Been to drachenfest before (my pals tell me they even met you)
Entirely possible, I've met a few people there, although can't remember everyone

>but its more of a fantasy kitchen sink rather then everything goes
Well, most people go for fantasy as that's what they know or like. But there are a lot of various not entirely fantasy stuff there. As I said it's huge and you can find victorian stuff, steampunk, some scy-fy and whatnot. Though they aren't that numerous compared to the standard fantasy stuff.

Maybe you need a postapoc game where you can be relatively successful with melee weapons?
>>
>>9402766
What sci-fi at drachen? Pic/links please.
Post-apocalyptic is considered, but due to the nuclear and zombie type apocalypses commonality its difficult to find a dystopian or a post post apoc where this will really shine imho.
>>
>>9402667
just got to look at wikipedia mate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albania_in_the_Middle_Ages
>>
>>9402776
not sci-fi but scy-fy, sciency fantasy. Sometimes people build machine golems and stuff, or there is the Professor who makes various mechanical warmachines, etc.

Not Drachenfest but on ConQuest I think there was at least one guy who used an armor very similar to the Star Gate Goa'uld/Jaffa/whatever armor.
You can find stuff like these every now or then but I admit they are the exception.
>>
>>9402677
Thank you for the advice anon!
Do you have any examples of that look being pulled off well, in your standards?

As for using tights-Are there 'male' versions of it or are they Unisex? And must it be tights, or are there any other types of fitting pants that might work? Mostly uncomfortable with people seeing my junk.
>>
File: SAM_2118.jpg (3MB, 3240x4320px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2118.jpg
3MB, 3240x4320px
>>9402795
example of some weird shit
>>
>>9402803
That's foken nice. Too bad about the shoes.
>>
>>9402804
happens all the time.

Anyway another option is if you don't find any larp where the tacticool knights are a thing then go to a larp and make it fit in.
>>
File: e7e4e837fd9821086383f52278bb38ac.jpg (188KB, 1032x1496px) Image search: [Google]
e7e4e837fd9821086383f52278bb38ac.jpg
188KB, 1032x1496px
>>9402795
Dont think tactical knights would fit under scy fy.

Its sort of gradient from fully armored to lightly armored.
The green knight ( operator 28) is medium leaning towards heavy while pic related is lightly armored.
In term of weaponry everything western goes, from maces to great swords to riot shields and machine guns.
Giving up on guns or on bigger melee weapons is fine in order to fit into a larp.
>>
>>9402808
as long as you don't want to use automatic weapons and you make your garb not too plastic-y then probably most bigger larps accept you
>>
>>9402658
He's a farrt huffing pseudointellectual armchair historian who's personal knowledge leaves much to be desired, and presents himself in such a way that induces the need to give him a wedgie.

>>9402688
I'll stop when im wrong. Find me a true falchion that doesn't have a spatulate swell and forward mass distribution.
>>
File: 35ce47afd50c9f199c3ab1266c151fa8.jpg (102KB, 738x1082px) Image search: [Google]
35ce47afd50c9f199c3ab1266c151fa8.jpg
102KB, 738x1082px
>>9402809
>plastics
Only in cyberpunk/futuristic settings

Thing is wearing plates, flak vests and tactical gear clashes with normal larp aesthetics.

Looks like I'll wait on a larp organizer that would like the idea or slowly work on my own.

I think it will stick out like sore thumb if its not a full squad in gear.
>>
File: falchion_forms1.jpg (60KB, 800x550px) Image search: [Google]
falchion_forms1.jpg
60KB, 800x550px
>>9402811
>>
File: MensTightsActivist.jpg (45KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
MensTightsActivist.jpg
45KB, 500x282px
>>9402797
>people seeing my junk

Do I have the thing for you my dear fellow! It's called seperate hosen! Although a little less royal you can completely cock it up and make it more dapper than whatever pretend-knight comes trotting your way.

The secret is codpieces my friend, and not just any, the most marvellous ones! Ones that will make ladies and Landsknecht-players alike swoon! Now with 100% more trashy tacticool by hiding a winebag into your codpiece!

In all seriousness though, seperate hosen are the little more expensive homemade way (because it works best with stretchy natural fabrics like wool, or felt) it is more comfy than any pants out there. Not kidding. If it wasn't a bit of a bitch to put on I'd wear it like my indoor pants.

Tights are the cheaper way to go, or leggings. There's things like men's leggings, and more-so made from wool. This will have a lot less chance of having the world reknown ballet-hill at your crotch. And if you want to make it that much more fashionable (and put in more work) tag up with a pal, buy two woollen leggings in different colours, and sew the two different legs together.

(Pic related, cheap-o non-natural fabric tights still rocking it for a budget costume.)
>>
File: IMG-20170226-WA0010.jpg (190KB, 898x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170226-WA0010.jpg
190KB, 898x1600px
>>9402797
A picture of me in my most uncomfortable grin. (It's all I could find where you could really see the hosen.)
>>
>>9402822
Dude,
That smile looks so genuine but also so uncomfortable at the same time.
While i can sympathize i cant stop laughing.
>>
>>9402824
I got that beautiful "Smile!"-smile, the one you make when somebody makes a picture of you before you have actual time to think on how to look like a real human bean in a picture.
>>
>>9402831
Yeah thats it.
>>
>>9402822
You're cool, anon. How did you make them?

>>9402815
What pants are the ones they have here?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoQlvc_H3s
>>
File: NextLevelShitposting.png (17KB, 175x161px) Image search: [Google]
NextLevelShitposting.png
17KB, 175x161px
>>9402860
They all seem like different kind of hosen, from seperated to conjoined ones with matching codpiece rather than a flap on the braies.

And as how to make them; it's a fairly simple process. In short it boils down to wrapping it around your leg and cutting it off.

No... Really.
To give you a good idea though I'll throw in the medieval tailor's assistant.
http://www.strony.toya.net.pl/~kuswir/MTA.pdf
This is like your go to book for most basic medieval clothing pieces.
>>
>>9402688
It makes sense and clownfag tends to be right about this stuff. I don't see where he's wrong.
>>
File: ep57v3.jpg (187KB, 1564x896px) Image search: [Google]
ep57v3.jpg
187KB, 1564x896px
>>9402811
I think where people are taking umbrage is calling it a "mass" weapon. That term is usually used to describe maces, hammers, clubs, etc that rely on sheer force rather than a cutting edge.
A falchion/whatever you want to call it is all about cleaving and stabbing; both arguaby things that swords do anyway.
Bumping with falchion.

>>9402797
Wear a cod you emotionally fragile pud.
>>
>>9402790
Wikipedia is shit and it doesn't really tell me anything in depth about the culture at all.
>>
File: 13-511621 (1).jpg (12KB, 487x650px) Image search: [Google]
13-511621 (1).jpg
12KB, 487x650px
>>9402566
>Pic related: An extant, true falchion. It is most certainly a mass weapon.

And one that is almost certainly a fake.

When I requested study of it in conjunction with professor Alan Williams from the Wallace collection, Alan's first reaction was "even looking at photographs, the alarm bells are ringing.". When the antiques seller learnt that I wanted to bring Alan along, my study request was rescinded.
I, Peter Johnsson, Dr Fabrice Cognot, and a string of other academics have all noted that the seller of that item has a reputation of selling dodgy items which are almost certainly modern. Even if it is original, its provenance is as tainted as items sold by Louis Marcy in the 1890's to 1920's - not helped by the vendor's refusal to publish any provenance beyond the words "property of a noble house"

>>9402567
I am certain that one is fake.
the rothenburg reichstagtmuseum falchion is one of three previously owned by the W. Randolph Hearst collection. While the hearst estate has been unable to assist with further provenance research into the origins of the trio, there are a number of extremely questionable details and similarities between them which mean this one, along with its two close cousins, are considered to be the likely product of a french or german craftsman's workshop in the last quarter of the 19th century. There are a number of areas of evidence for this, for instance the red rot which is evident in a number of examples of leather in the von baumann collection. exceptional similarities in groups of items to those depicted in plates in the 1880's and 90s is a further indication that the craftsman was reproducing relatively recent archaeological discoveries, but regularly made errors - the examples in there of 250-400ad weapons mirror hilts from the 1840's finds in Nydam, but have the wrong cross-sectional profiles. the Hearst falchions appear to have been copied from poor photography of the Cluny example found in the 1870's.

continued...
>>
>>9403361
Now, the subject of mass.
Suggesting that the falchions are mass weapons is utterly incorrect. These weapons are not, in any form, mass weapons. Nor is their mass distribution significantly divergent from that of conventional swords. Using Vincent Le Chavalier's research work into sword dynamics, for instance, let us look at >>9403013 that one, DKM.1969.W.004. its overall mass is 1092g, the weight of falchions like Cluny CL3452 is even lower, 880g in excavated condition, estimated c. 980g intact. Both demonstrate a forward mass distribution - in the region of 41% and 35% respectively. The Solingen example is distributed with about 7-8% more mass at its node of percussion but the cluny is entirely within the range of a type XIII or similar cutting weapon of contemporary date. These weapons do not even cut through application of mass, but through the narrow distal profiles which make them exceptional cutters due to less drag. These comments you've made about them being "machetes" are nonsense, and you need to stop, step back, and have a long hard look at the bullshit you're peddling there. making up stuff when you do not know the answers is not constructive.

>>9402585
>He thinks there are only two freaking extant falchions for fucks sake.

This is complete and utter bullshit, and I have no idea how you pulled this out your arse. I know this for a fact, because I've sat in discussion with Matt, and have shared images of about a dozen of the extant falchions - Type 1a's from Durham, Cluny, Hamburg, and the 2015 galerie Fischer auction example which I got data off from Dr Stefan Mader, for a start. Both reliable type f2s; Invalides and Delft Legersmuseum, and among the type 3's, Thorpe, Brussels' Legersmuseum (partial), Castillon, and the recently re-found Cordoba example. And of course the Solingen type 4, and a long, long list of others, including access to multiple type 5s and other type 1's.
Your idea he thinks there are two is utter nonsense.

Continued:
>>
File: 14-DKM1953.W.148schöne.png (46KB, 1102x690px) Image search: [Google]
14-DKM1953.W.148schöne.png
46KB, 1102x690px
>>9403366

the reality of mass distribution in falchions is that there is less than a 10% difference in the *relative* percentage of mass in point of percussion between the heaviest falchions, and the average two-edged swords of contemporary date, and many of the falchions are very much within the ballpark with similar weighting - those of Type F3c, d, and e, and the type 5 blades in particular.
In terms of actual mass, by dint of often being lighter, the falchions tend to have significantly less mass in thier blades at the point of impact, even when in terms of relative mass they have greater distribution.
as an example since I have the stats to hand just now, against a privately-owned 14th C type XIII, and one of the single-edged lubeck messers, the messer is more than 150g *lighter* than the XIII at their respective points of percussion, despite having 4% more mass at that point. In real, physical terms, what that means is that the single-edged arms, while having "presence" in the cut are often lighter, easier to manoeuvre, and more agile than their counterparts, in some cases (Type 1's) due to being more compact, and in other cases due to their low mass. These weapons are in no way about mass - thier design places an emphasis on the cleaving cut, but in blade dynamics, they are far closer to a medieval type XIII or XVIII in thier blade weight at the point of harmonic percussion than a 16th century rapier is. And you dont go around claiming that rapiers are spears or lances, do you?

Continued:
>>
File: large_DI_2013_0541.jpg (68KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
large_DI_2013_0541.jpg
68KB, 1920x1280px
>>9403372

your claim that
>A falchion, its a mass weapon, just like an axe, mace or hammer.

Has absolutely bearing in reality, to the empirical data I have spent nearly a decade researching and collating.

The hafted arms you describe have radically different handling characteristics and are in NO way similar to falchions, which are by their nature entirely sword-like in their handling. even the lightest single-handed Petersen type L has an utterly different weight distribution (yet alone vibratory percussion nodes) than a sword. This entire notion of "mass weapons" for a falchion is a fundamental mis-comprehension of the entire subject, I'm afraid. Your very underlying principles on the subject are in error. This isn't you being not quite right, this is as fundamental a misunderstanding as Charles Ffoulkes' writing in 1938:
>"The so-called 'Crusader' sword is heavy, broad-bladed, and short gripped. There is no balance, as the word is understood in swordsmanship, and to thrust with it is an impossibility·its weight made swift recovery impossible."

You and I alike know that that sort of statement is utter nonsense, from active study, be it i.33, Lichtenaur tradition, Fiore, or other fechtbuch. Well, your statements about falchions being "mass weapons", I'm afraid, are as ignorant of the reality as Ffoulkes' claims 80 years ago were about the general medieval sword. You have clearly not handled the real things, Gropey. I have. And my expertise as a craftsman in re-building them, my expertise as an academic historian working on this subject has shown that the things you are saying are absolutely misguided in your ideas of what they are like.
>>
File: large_DI_2011_0310.jpg (48KB, 1920x637px) Image search: [Google]
large_DI_2011_0310.jpg
48KB, 1920x637px
>>9403375 continued

>>9402572
>Where the confusion comes, is from the popular misuse of the falchiform designation to describe any sword with a single edge.

There is absolutely no such "confusion"; because there is no such definition as you seem to believe. In fact, the research paper publications and published typology that now carries my name (much to my embarrassment) was produced specifically because there is no hard and fast differentiation between falchion/fawchon/fauchon, braquemard, hangar, malchus, storta, and even in some cases the messer, parasztkés, or tesack. Hence my research work is published under the term "Single-edged medieval arms", not "falchions.

There is no definition, in English, or in any other language as to what constitutes a falchion. They are simply one aspect of the wider spectrum of single-edged arms. Even the example you have given there, the Wakefield hangars, have a spectrum that ranges from type 5a and 5b blades, all the way to royal armouries' IX.144, with its type 3c blade (pictured) that is absolutely identical in classification and general form to that of Cordoba, Castillon, or Thorpe falchions.

what you are trying to do is invent definitions which do not exist in any published study, or unpublished record. I do not make such a definition in my work. Seitz did not in his work. Nor Oakeshott. nor Peter in the work I've done with him. If you want to try to claim you know more about falchions than Ewart Oakeshott, Heribert Seitz, Peter Johnsson, or I, then you're sorely mistaken.

And whle Seitz and Oakeshott are no longer around, Peter and I would certainly dispute your ideas with absolute certainty and the data I've already mentioned to back it up.
>>
>>9403385
Conclusion.

what you're saying is utterly wrong on this subject. It is based on fundamental misunderstanding of single-edged arms.

>>9402811
>I'll stop when im wrong.

You need to stop.

And not just about falchions. You need to have a long hard look in the mirror. because over the last year or two, you have increasingly convinced yourself that you know everything. And I'm afraid that is simply untrue. You know the basics of a lot of historical reenactment, but in stuff like this, I'm afraid you're letting your ego run before your mouth, and you're making a fool of yourself here. Its not the first time. I hope that a gentle-wake-up call will make it the last. You are utterly wrong in this, as others have tried to say. And I'm afraid its not the first time. There's been a number of times the last year where I've quietly looked at you making absolute statements of "fact" that are demonstrably wrong. Its not a positive trait to have. Humility is a virtue, then and now.

I sincerely hope that you pause, and have a think about what you're saying. There are few things worse than a reenactor who gets ideas set in stone and convinced they know the absolute truth, when they're mistaken. Its not too late, and it would be one hell of a shame if you lose yourself down that path of self-absorption.
>>
>>9403394
Unf, that 1c blade is so sexy. I love the Morgan Bible falchions.
>>
>>9402811
>I'll stop when im wrong. Find me a true falchion that doesn't have a spatulate swell and forward mass distribution.
Well I had this hunch that you are wrong but I also knew that I don't know enough to prove it to you, so I had to ask cutleranon to drop by with some hard facts. I mean after all he spent the last not so few years with researching falchions and the likes, and one of the most knowledgeable people on Earth about this subject if not the most, as you can see from his posts
>>9403361
>>9403366
>>9403372
>>9403375
>>9403385
>>9403394
>>
>>9403366
>He thinks there are only two freaking extant falchions for fucks sake.

>this is complete and utter bullshit, and I have no idea how you pulled this out your arse.

The dude in the video says it in the first few minutes of the vid anon.

Also, you seem salty.
>>
>>9403436
>The dude in the video says it in the first few minutes of the vid anon.
can you point out where? Because all I see is where he says the one he is holding in his hand is inspired by two surviving examples
>>
>>9403366
Aeronautical design anon here: My subject knowledge may be only approximate, but basic characteristics of the blade design would argue handling and function of the weapon from being anywhere near the same as a tapered blade. I patentedly refuse to believe that the handling and distribution of force, focused point of force and aerofoil of the blade would be at all the same. You have the academic information on your side, but the practical physics of the weapon is still firmly in clownfags favor.
>>
>>9403436
>The dude in the video says it in the first few minutes of the vid anon.

No, he doesn't.

He says: "this is inspired by two historic falchions that still survive". Not "this is inspired by the two historic falchions that still survive" or anything like that.

The two that Binnsy used are the durham cathedral, "conyers" falchion, and cluny CL3452. durham for the blade, cluny for the hilt. Which he goes on to talk about. In fact,

I repeat: He does not, at any point claim they are the only two.

I've spent plenty of time talking to Matt - online, back and forth on FB chat, and in emails. I've discussed the surviving falchions with him. I've sent him catalogue images of them lined up in comparative scale. Matt's pintrest boards have a folder with photos of half of them. He is fully aware that there are others. And he has not said there are only two. the only people who think he's said that are those who didnt listen to what he's saying.

Am I "salty"?

Fuck yes. I am the world authority on this subject. My work has been published by museums, I am recognised as the expert on these arms, I've worked with the staff of national museums in three different countries who contact me asking for my help.

Am I tired of people talking shit about the stuff I research? you bet I am. Because I have been telling people - and I know fine well gropey will have heard - that they are not like axes for _years_.

but here he is, trying to claim to be some sort of expert, saying they're "mass weapons".

Call me a fucking pillar of salt.
>>
Where's my new /comfy/ thread ?
>>
>>9403504
>but here he is, trying to claim to be some sort of expert, saying they're "mass weapons".
Because they are. The blade widens for the majority of blade mass at the end. No one is saying they are all unbalanced, but they are clearly mass weapons.
>>
>>9403504
>T. Falchion apologist
>We waz kangz ov da battlefield
>>
>>9403538
Profile does nothing with mass distribution. I repeat, nothing. Cross-sections along the length are what you want to look at, and these single-edged things? They can and do get freaky thin.

Also I do think that you are trolling, since Cutleranon did provide mass distribution stats.
>>
File: section volume.jpg (31KB, 479x447px) Image search: [Google]
section volume.jpg
31KB, 479x447px
>>9403488
> but basic characteristics of the blade design would argue handling and function of the weapon from being anywhere near the same as a tapered blade.

you're looking at it in 2 dimensions

really simple version (because it'll never fit in one reply otherwise. ) - imagine your 2-edged one is 50mm wide, and 5mm thick at the cross, and tapers to 35mm wide, and 2.5mm thick. you can see how there's more mass down near the cross, yes?

now the falchion, that is 5mm thick and 50mm wide at the base of the blade, just the same - and at the broadest part, it is 70mm wide - so twice as wide as a normal sword. But its also only 1.3 mm thick.
Twice as broad, but half as thick - its the same amount of metal as the normal 2-edged sword, its just spread out in a different shape.

that's of course very simplified. reality of cross-sectional profiles and edge geometry are more complex than that. but that's the basic gist of it.

they do have different handling characteristics, they flex more side to side, because they're so thin, but they dont flex back and forth along the blade edge, because the blade is wider. that changes the handling, and that alters the vibration nature of the steel a lot, makes a blade hit a lot harder than a thinner sword.

Aerodynamics is something I'd love to study more - I feel that that do move in the hand a little more - a falchion doesnt like being swung to hit with the flat, it will try to turn in the hand a bit more than a normal blade. and in the cut it matters a lot. a very thin blade cuts deeper than a thick one, which has to displace material as it goes in. that's something I'd like to look at someday in a lab, but generally sword motion through the air hasnt been studied for any weapons properly.

the "practical physics" is not in gropey's favour - his misunderstandings of the physical form and structure of these weapons - of any of the types - is what is fundamentally flawed. he's pretty much missing the entire 3rd dimension there.
>>
>>9403512
sshhh, we are being autist about important things here. Swords.

There will be a new thread soon but this needs to be done
>>
>>9403538
>Because they are. The blade widens for the majority of blade mass at the end.

If a falchion (or a sword) was made from a flat sheet, the exact same thickness all the way? yes, you would be right.

in that situation, the sword would be much lighter.

but that sword would handle like a brick too.

real swords have what is known as "distal taper". that's the thickness of the blade. as a good average, a 13th C sword of war might be 5mm thick down at the cross. but 10cm from the tip, its just 2.5mm thick. that removes a huge amount of mass from the blade, and makes it lighter. the falchion is the same. only they have even more extreme distal tapers - that same 5mm is thinned off to 1.5mm or so - meaning there's no extra material

this is the difference between mass distribution in a 3d object, and a 2d depiction of it. that's what this research has shown. previously, no-one had catalogued them in detail and recorded how thin they are, or compared it to normal swords.

generally speaking, if your blade is very broad, its also very thin. if your blade is very narrow, its also very thick. here's a simplified diagram to show what I mean.
>>
>>9403554
>>9403558
But you're also not taking into account that the aerofoil of that widened tip, especially if it is indeed thinner. Think of it like a propeller prop with the equation m[a/p]+(v-s)= generated force. Essentially, it would be focusing more of its impact on a relatively smaller point of impact as it is using its own tapered, widened plane as a shearing point.

A wider, tapered tip, with the rest of the mass becoming thicker in dimension but smaller at plane, will in effect act as a mass weapon, while keeping weight down, and better balance. Its actually quite clever.
>>
>>9403593
>A wider, tapered tip, with the rest of the mass becoming thicker in dimension but smaller at plane, will in effect act as a mass weapon, while keeping weight down, and better balance. Its actually quite clever.
you have a very strange definition for mass weapons. I mean yeah every weapon has mass and use it one way or another but still...
>>
Wow, what was initially my just shitposting/attempted triggering of Gropey leads to an honest intellectual debate.

I love this thread. Never degenerate you guys.
>>
>>9403612
Compared to the uniformity of a straight, pointed blade who's tip either remains uniform or tapers, rather than widens, there is a massive difference.

>>9403620
This wouldn't trigger Gropey. He gives too few fucks. If you want to trigger him, you have to make a "magikal gypsy" costume or talk about how Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" is 100% authentic.
>>
>>9403631
>Compared to the uniformity of a straight, pointed blade who's tip either remains uniform or tapers, rather than widens, there is a massive difference.
that was a pun, wasn't it?
>>
>>9403593
>Essentially, it would be focusing more of its impact on a relatively smaller point of impact as it is using its own tapered, widened plane as a shearing point.

this is correct. (though it makes my head hurt when the physicists get involved to that degree.)

the thing falls apart though when you try to carry the idea further.

>A wider, tapered tip, with the rest of the mass becoming thicker in dimension but smaller at plane, will in effect act as a mass weapon.

No.

Mass weapons are those like maces, or war-hammers. to a lesser extent, axes.
they are relatively light, usually wooden hafts (at least in the period of the broad type f1 falchions). they then have dense blocks of metal at the *very* end of the haft, with no counterbalance. they are designed to punch vast amounts of KE into the target, regardless of armour.
Falchions are sharp - ultra-thin, cutting blades, designed to use that small point of impact to indiscriminately cut cloth, flesh, bone. they are designed to sever limbs, to cut deep into the body. they dont use "mass". they use shearing cuts. these are NOT the same thing. one is the use of weight to impart energy to cause blunt force trauma. the other is use of thin, fast, cuts to make a combination of percussion and draw cutting shear forces to slice deeply. They are completely different mechanics.

if falchions were "mass" weapons, they would be blunt. they wouldnt have an edge. they'd have thick areas like a bar mace, that wouldnt be damaged by impacts on armour, to cause traumatic impact injury.

this picture is what mass impact weapons do - punch holes with back-spikes, or shatter bone.

(continued: )
>>
File: Towton skull 02.gif (24KB, 200x272px) Image search: [Google]
Towton skull 02.gif
24KB, 200x272px
>>9403645

This, in contrast, is what a blunt faced mass weapon, probably the flat face of a warhammer, maybe a lucerne hammer type weapon does.

(continued)
>>
>>9403645
Anon, who are you that is a member of museums? Are you the Falchion Archeology youtuber?
>>
File: Towton skull 25 -front.jpg (51KB, 200x263px) Image search: [Google]
Towton skull 25 -front.jpg
51KB, 200x263px
>>9403652
This in contrast is what the cut from a weapon like a sword does - this is not mass impact damage, this is cutting efficiency.
>>
>>9403654
nah, he is just an anon. An anon who posted frequently on /tg/ about cutlery and stuff because he made those for a living. But never with a name, so they named him cutleranon.
And then one day /tg/ triggered him so hard that he made years of research, a typological system named after him and a book in process just so he can prove them wrong.
Basically one of the big academical researches on single edged baldes were made because of some faggots on /tg/ who couldn't stop being retarded
>>
>>9403643
Wokka wokka

>>9403654
Dunno about falchionfag, but I know atleast two other anons and Gropey are all museumfags.
>>
>>9403669
God damn that's salt incarnate.

/tg/ evidently needs to bully people over fusion power, maybe somebody will make a working fusion reactor.
>>
File: Solingen Messer.jpg (455KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Solingen Messer.jpg
455KB, 1600x1200px
>>9403654
nah, he's just an amateur guy, does reenactment, who likes them.

his conclusions are, like gropey's based on some really shitty replicas.

I am a freelance historical researcher and a craftsman who makes high-end replicas - which is exactly what saw me first investigate these. I rapidly realised that these "heavy axe-like" cleavers were nothing of the sort from simply reading the tiny amount of data that was out there about 10 years ago. So I started doing some investigation. I thought I might do a little webpage about them.

10 years later, my work's gone to cataloguing every single surviving example worldwide, and probably close to a hundred messers, become a typological classification system that's been printed alongside that of Oakeshott, published in books by one countries' national museum of edged weapons, Given presentations on the subject at academic conferences to the staff of the Royal Armouries, and the likes, and peer-reviewed academic papers, worked with other national museums as a researcher, I'm internationally recognised as the authority on the subject, and the plan is for publication of a book on the subject when I finally finish cataloguing those survivors in painstaking detail - far more than Oakeshott did in his book "records" about the 2-edged swords.

I never did make that "little webpage".
>>
>>9403681
most achievements that /tg/ did was made this way.
Like the chaptermaster game, where some people were started trolling about a fictional game where you lead a chapter of space marines, and tell fictional tales about it to troll newbies.
Then one day one guy asked after the tolling that why isn't this a real game. The rest is history.
>>
>>9403693
Do you know why the falchions in the Morgan bible are shaped like they are? I've always liked the near fantastical design of them, but never understood why they had such a strange tip.
>>
File: tasak.jpg (640KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tasak.jpg
640KB, 1600x1200px
>>9403674
I dont work for any museum, but I've access to the basements of about half the world's major museums, and tend to work with the curatorial staff of a fair few of those quite regularly. most museum staff dont have anything like the access or research opportunity I have as a freelancer.

>>9403681
less salty anger, and more it gave me the inspiration to go look at more of them than the 2-3 I think I had data on before then. I spent a weekend doing some research, called up a few places, and I got hold of some data. discovered it was totally un-researched, and sort of accidentally ended up becoming the person to do it, because no-one else was. Years of travelling round the world handling them, thousands of hours of study.
Peter Johnsson's the one who really gets the credit, as without his encouragement and support, I'd probably have given up after a few months of looking at them. but he's a total gent, and helped me out with some info, and set me on the right path for this work. Nowadays, I'm honoured to know him.
>>
>>9403631
>This wouldn't trigger Gropey. He gives too few fucks. If you want to trigger him, you have to make a "magikal gypsy" costume or talk about how Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" is 100% authentic.

The gypsy thing I get, but why The Patriot?
>>
>>9403728
His degrees and the museums he works in are all colonial America, and its a Mel Gibson "history" movie meaning the only things it gets right is there is an America and a Brittan, and they had a war at some point.
>>
>>9403728
>why The Patriot?

Its everything wrong with American Revolutionary Mythology: The Movie
>>
>>9403719
Britfag?
>>
>>9403693
Gropey's conclusions are absolutely based on his experience as an ACL fighter.
Which is to say he expects them to be like buhurt crowbars.
>>
File: 1520 103oal.jpg (83KB, 623x800px) Image search: [Google]
1520 103oal.jpg
83KB, 623x800px
>>9403719
I still hate you for bringing those pommels to my attention. Some day we'll make proper ones as well.
Also following your logic concerning Peter Johnsson, a few years from now I'll be openly crediting you for pretty much everything we achieved, and you'll just fucking take it.

Also... yeah, I can't add anything of value. O wait, I can pick your brains. AGAIN. Is this a legit piece? I've been eyeing it for some time, but something feels off (other than the Nagel being upside down).
>>
>>9403840
I thought he hated falchions and preferred mace though?
>>
File: umbrella_005.jpg (544KB, 1291x820px) Image search: [Google]
umbrella_005.jpg
544KB, 1291x820px
Cutleryanon, could you explain this falchion? Did it exist? Why does it "taper" in the fashion it does?
>>
>>9403860
Exactly. Cutleryfag has a falchion fetish but has probably never swung one, and Clownfag hates them blindly but the ones he has handled are probably suspect. The truth is probably in between these two egos.

>>9403877
I would like to know too.
>>
>>9403013
>I think where people are taking umbrage is calling it a "mass" weapon. That term is usually used to describe maces, hammers, clubs, etc that rely on sheer force rather than a cutting edge.

I think it's MASS vs MASS PERCUSSION (i.e. Maces, et al).

Technically all weapons are mass weapons...
>>
>>9403885
>Cutleryfag has a falchion fetish but has probably never swung one

Well, that's the hardest I've laughed all week.

I believe there is only one person in the world who's handled more original falchions from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries than I have...

also, see >>9403693 ? that's my work. recreating the one in this photo.

give you one guess if I've ever swung one. or twenty.

>>9403877
Exist? yes. there's multiple sources, not just the morgan bible. But there are no extant examples. perhaps we'll find one someday in a dig. (As such all information is speculation - and anyone saying otherwise is a liar.)

my suspicion, >>9403700 is the cutouts are an early form of removal of mass, which predates the development of the clip-point (types 2 and 3) for the blade, while the flare outwards is to widen it for cutting. that said, the absence of pommels on those types (which I tend to consider more a proto-messer, than a falchion - the real ones were probably hilted like knives) may well indicate that they really were an impact weapon for heavy blows. We really wont know however, till we find one to study their dimensional data.
>>
File: you get the idea.jpg (146KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
you get the idea.jpg
146KB, 800x600px
>>9403700
>Do you know why the falchions in the Morgan bible are shaped like they are?
Because they're fictional versions of an agricultural tool used for coppicing grapes.

>t. Not Cutleranon, nor Clown, nor Mongolian, merely an Italian wine grape grower.

Also someone pls screencap this so whenever someone asks about falcions/storta/messer EVER AGAIN we can just post it.

>Today I learned the only way to beat an academic in an argument is to go full dumb-chimp mode and beat them up.
>Not that I would, but good to know during heated baits.
>>
>>9404005
I don't think anon was referring to "handling antiques" as much as "actively cutting or fighting with a steel falchion"
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 490x368px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 490x368px
>>9404022
>Because they're fictional versions of an agricultural tool used for coppicing grapes.

no.

they are not "fictional". I have more than a dozen sources depicting them, from carved on the city gate of Milan, through the sketchbook of villiard de honnencourt, morgan bible, and about a dozen depictions in marginalia, from northern italy, southern france, and into .

there is absolutely *zero* evidence that they are a "fictional version", which just happens to be depicted again and again in multiple sources.

you are slightly right, they are italian - or more accurately, lombardian, and that umbrella-hook hilt is a style whch can be seen on traditional tools - cleavers, knives, and the farming cutters known as Beidana which appear in the 17th century. Its a local tradition which has very deep roots indeed. In fact, one of the surviving examples, the "falcastro" of St Peter Martyr (Peter of Vienna) is hilted with a pommel hook of the exact same sort, and is depicted with that in art regularly into the 15th century.

however, there is not one single piece of evidence that the farming tools are the same items. The proto-messer forms are roughly 3-4 times the size, and lack the L-shaped extensions. You might think you're a genius, but no, I did the research into those back in 2009-2010, including researching the lombardian cleaver forms of those knives in the 12-13th centuries. They were one of my first possible sources, which I later found to be highly unlikely to be the origin, although they are closely related in some detail similarities.

>Today I learned the only way to beat an academic in an argument is to go full dumb-chimp mode and beat them up.
you mean in the sense of flinging shit, you're claiming to have won by making daft comments and not knowing what you're doing?

I would hardly call that "beating"

"today I learned the only way to exasperate an academic in an argument is to go full retard and not learn the slightest thing" perhaps....
>>
File: morgan bible weapons.jpg (28KB, 561x427px) Image search: [Google]
morgan bible weapons.jpg
28KB, 561x427px
>>9404005
my take on the curved handle is it acts like a hook. When you swing it, they're gonna produce a lot of force that pulls at your hand. The hook prevents it from shooting out of your hand
>>
File: Villard_de_Honnecourt.jpg (97KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
Villard_de_Honnecourt.jpg
97KB, 350x500px
>>9404282
I agree. and its notable that its the single-handed ones that have the hook, two-handed ones dont.

I'm pretty certain that hooking the hand, rather than knuckle protection is the reason for them - the only other possibility is they were traditionally used to hang up the smaller types, and it is a sort of vestigal hangover from that. the villiard de honnencourt illustration shows one hung from a shield strap by the hook.

The big debate, really, isnt its use, but how it was made. Maciej's recent interpretation (here >>9403877 ) is pretty good, I had a lot of conversations with him about it when he did that one (and his other falchions) but I'm not 100% convinced by the scale tang construction. there's a number of reasons for that, the main one being that these sort of follow the small cutlery methods of the same date. and they didnt start using scales till about 1340, in modern belgium, before that it was a whittle (stick) tang.
Peter and I have an idea there, but we're not saying till one or the other of us finds the time to make one, and try out our suspicion, and actually put it to the test.
>>
File: 20160810_171952.jpg (31KB, 179x180px) Image search: [Google]
20160810_171952.jpg
31KB, 179x180px
Well fuck, and I thought i went ballistic about roleplay fighting.
>>
>>9404577
He was talking about sticks anon, and he's been getting bearmode with his buhurt training. Jealous he could beat you?
>>
>>9404592
Different anon here, but Gropey doesn't look bearmode. He's big, and not completely out of shape, but he looks far from PowerliftingMcGee the First Row Rugby player and parttime dancing bear.
>>
>>9404636
Yet another anon; he hasn't posted any recent selfies or picturea of himself in general in a while. Anyone friends with him on facebook who can confirm or deny?
>>
File: 1468007355345.jpg (448KB, 920x920px) Image search: [Google]
1468007355345.jpg
448KB, 920x920px
Im skinny and lean.
What are good exercises to stay light on my feet during fights in larps?
I want to try a more rogue-ish style, not super high flying stuff but i tend to root my feet down in a fight and unless im using a shield or a longer weapon i get hit in the legs (mostly).
Also my footwork leaves much to be desired (better than the average larper around here but I mainly play fighters in larps so Its important for me to improve)
This is true mostly of sword and shield and two handed weapons.

TL;DR
My footwork is bad, what can help me improve that?
>>
>>9404668
I dunno.

Practice more or start wearing high heeled boots that forces you to move your feet around due to higher balance point?
>>
>>9404668
>My footwork is bad, what can help me improve that?

>Fencing
>TKD
>Boxing
>Jump rope
>>
>>9404668
>My footwork is bad, what can help me improve that?
well, you obviously need to practice more your stance and moving in stances.
But the rope ladder or whatever it is called could help with all around leg/step practices
>>
File: mib_0905g.jpg (47KB, 594x600px) Image search: [Google]
mib_0905g.jpg
47KB, 594x600px
>>9404760
I'll try leaning on the front of my feet, i practice as often as i can (once or twice a week for 2-4 hours)

>>9404772
I'm a self taught fencer, reading up online, watching videos, then practiced it against my friends from the community.
My problem is with two handed weapons and sword and board.
I dont have any dojo in my area but ill try the jump rope.
>>
>>9404775
Is there material you recommend for stances and moving from and into them?
>>
>>9404780
yep, but there is a literal shitton of material out there. All of them are different depending on what kind of style you want to use.
>>
>>9404777
I'm not gonna knock you outright, but self taught is an alarm bell to me. Especially since you claim you keep your feet rooted. That said, I can accept being limited in your choices.

Watch boxing footwork tutorials, if nothing else, they are very good at keeping yourself light on your feet and moving about.

As for footwork when wielding two handed weapons, this should give you a good idea for spears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RWLxlzTiM
>>
meanwhile, we are heavily in the autosage so here is a new thread.

But for I would advise everyone to keep the falchion subject here, or the new thread will be about that too for 100+ posts

Anyway new thread

>>9404834

>>9404834
>>
File: falchions.jpg (2MB, 1889x5733px) Image search: [Google]
falchions.jpg
2MB, 1889x5733px
also for prosperity's sake
>>
>>9404648
Hes fucking fat. get over it.
>>
>>9397169

Come to Shattered Worlds in WA
Thread posts: 371
Thread images: 94

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.