[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cartoony vs Real Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 26

File: maya.jpg (75KB, 404x500px) Image search: [Google]
maya.jpg
75KB, 404x500px
How do you like cosplay?
More cartoony looking or more realistically looking?

(for example : in pic sx cosplayer stuffed her bow to achieve the puffyness of Maya's bow, while the dx cosplayer has a natural bow)

Personally, I love when cosplay are somewhat realistic, like when you see a cosplayer it's like "Oh, it's [character]!" more like "Oh, it's a person who dresses up as [character]!"
And I love when people use daily or common clothing and transform it.
Maybe you don't pay too much attention to this but I've seen people BUYING cosplays who were literally a plain t shirt and a pair of jeans.
Like oh no, you can't totally get those in your local store or even the thrift.
But this is just my opinion, feel free to discuss.
>>
File: dutotqkiezxqzsc1d5un.jpg (127KB, 800x1110px) Image search: [Google]
dutotqkiezxqzsc1d5un.jpg
127KB, 800x1110px
>>9389684
The one on the left made hers look like a pillow, instead of an actual puffy bow. It's not even done well for Maya's bow. The one on the right did a better job.

Also, it really depends on the character, design, etc.... some characters, more cartoonish stylic really works. I think it really depends on execution. Like in your pic, if the left one had done a better job, she could have done a puffy bow and looked good. But because the job was done poorly, it looks bad. That happens often when people attempt it and it just doesn't look good.
>>
>>9389684
I usually prefer a more realistic cosplay. A lot of characters have designs that look off irl or just don't translate well.

I will agree with >>9389695 that certain characters have such an iconic style that you have to stick to cartoony but I think most characters can be tweaked to be a bit more realistic
>>
I'm all for cartoony but you still need to make it look good. Like when people pick bright yellow wigs, just pick a shade of blonde that suits you.
>>
File: Utena live action.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Utena live action.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>9389684
>More cartoony looking or more realistically looking?
Depends on the source, but I lean more towards realistic. A shame there aren't any HQ versions of the Utena musical. I'd like to see clearer shots of Anthy's dress.
>>
File: 1487239394126.jpg (25KB, 302x317px) Image search: [Google]
1487239394126.jpg
25KB, 302x317px
>>9389684
One on the right looks more cartoony due to all the sheen AND also looks better.

One on the left looks more "realistic" to me, desu because she doesn't look like she's tryin to be a kawaii animu goddess but just a regular chick in spiriter clothes. Her hair looks dry and washed out, she isn't wearing makeup as far as I can tell, and her clothes look like dull everyday drabs. By contrast - the right looks like she styled up with makeup, has clothes in a material that would most certainly not work for everyday wear, has a wig that's styled with dat ANIMU sheen while also being very thick and meticulously shaped, and her accessories give off more of a "not real" vibe because of their materials.

Plus I'm pretty sure spiriters would be ugly irl living in ass backwards culture and probably have ultra shit dentistry and hygiene.

Either way, where the fuck are their feet? How can you show Maya cosplay without showing their fucking feet? Am I supposed to fap to their faces? Fucking delete your thread and start all over, OP. You disgust me.
>>
File: kraehe.png (3MB, 1668x1500px) Image search: [Google]
kraehe.png
3MB, 1668x1500px
Princess Kraehe cosplayers are all over the place, detail- and realism-wise. Part the the struggle is whether I want it to be more accurate to the show or look more like a real ballet costume. I honestly have no idea what route I want to take for my version.
>>
Honestly? I like both. They both have their merits and if someone does either style well, it is great.

I however came from the earlier days of cosplaying, we are talking 20 years ago. Back then there were three ways of cosplaying, Realistic, Musical-ish with sequins and the like (think those old sailor moon musicals), and shitty glued together closet messes. Cartoonish style didn't come until recently, and I am both glad and somehow pretty sad that it pushed out musical-ish cosplay.

of course that being said, you young whipper snappers are so spoiled, what you consider to be bad cosplay would have been fawned over back then, not because it was good (we always had good cosplayers) but just because people liked the show/manga/game. Good cosplays were rewarded with attention and awards, but it didn't mean we shunned the people who just didn't have that skill set.

Fuck... Just five years ago /cgl/ was encouraging of beginning cosplayers, they were blunt about what sucked sure, but they didn't tell people they should never cosplay again because of a puckered seam here or there... I really miss the board culture from back then desu. You are all massive cunts now.
>>
>>9389902
bottom right has the best look for sure. Top right looks gross, and middle bottom doesn't have enough to it.
>>
>>9389902
it is a ballet costume, the show emphasizes ballet as part of it's story. Go ballet realism over show accuracy
>inb4 princess tutu fags shit up the thread with "well *I* do ballet" etc
>>
>>9389902
Middle bottom has the most accurate execution of the outfit imo. Top left has the best interpretation of the hair. Bottom right and top right looks nice, but the tulle hem throws me off for bottom pic and the upper garment shape throws me off for top pic.
>>
>>9389902
I feel like all of these could look dramatically better or worse in person. Both on far right look like they could be "real" dresses and have a nice weight and texture to them though imo. Middle bottom could be real nice for accuracy with better wig and more feathers.
>>
>>9389934
Fatty sad she can't go up on pointe without breaking her knees :(
>>
>>9389902
Middle bottom is acurate and it looks gross, slutty and disgusting. A ballet costume is supposed to be elegant, not that crap.

The original design is trash because beautiful outfits aren't easy to animate. But if you're gonna take the time to cosplay it, you better do something beautiful and more realistic, like bottom right.
>>
>>9389966
I like bottom right but I would rather see more feather points than all that tulle. Middle bottom could have been alright if it was hiked up a little higher and she knew how to work with fethers
>>
>>9389966
>Middle bottom is acurate and it looks gross, slutty and disgusting.
Jesus Christ, take a breath. It's a girls' shoulders and collarbone, she's not exactly spread eagle on a window.

The middle bottom doesn't work because the animated design doesn't work (simply boring with an odd skirt,) it's not gross and disgusting unless you're the kind of person who has a panic attack over seeing someone's sternum.

Karehe poster, maybe do a combination. A bodice that is similar to the show's like bottom right that is similar in design but practical, but then go stage accurate for the skirt- look at Benefiss Tutus and Rosetti Costumes tutus for inspiration. Also, the Royal Ballet's Black Swan costumes are especially gorgeous.

Also, if this is your first time making a tutu, think about buying a quality plain black tutu and then making the plate yourself- there are lots of awesome tutorials on youtube and Pinterest on making tutu plates!

Best of luck!
>>
>>9389902
Small world. I was just thinking about doing a Princess Tutu costume but wasn't sure if anyone would even remember it. I want to go realistic, but trying to design a realistic version of Ahiru's hair is a pain.

You wouldn't happen to be on the West Coast of the US, would you?
>>
>>9389934
>>9389953
like pottery
>>
File: nui-harime-cosplay-kill-la-kill.jpg (103KB, 740x493px) Image search: [Google]
nui-harime-cosplay-kill-la-kill.jpg
103KB, 740x493px
>>9389684
I really love realistic takes on things - and slight artistic interpretations that might come with them. Take this Nui, for example. I love the almost gaudy, over the top fabrics she used, it feels like that can translate to realistic in that Nui is a type of character who seems like she would go all-out in terms of being girly and decorated. The realistic interpretation of the wig is really nice as well.
>>
>>9389966
Damn anon take your chill pill.

Also bottom right does not look "beautiful", it looks cruddy once you look past the pretty photo.
>wig is sad and messy
>crow prop looks like it got mauled by a dog
>skirt isn't even attached, it's a separate piece
>weird belly band appears to be her tights pulled up over her bodice?

It's definitely the cosplay with the best photograph and the cosplayer herself is quite pretty but it's by no means "fancy", it looks kind of like a hot mess when you start looking at the details.
>>
>>9390019
it's like marco polo. they can't NOT respond. they always do this shit >>9389966 every time the show comes up, every. time.

>>9389953
>on pointe
i have never taken a ballet class in my life so yeah, i can't go *en pointe
>>
I prefer the realistic approach for my cosplays. I like to add more detail in my costume especially when its an outfit from a game and not really high definition.
>>
File: alexandrite.jpg (610KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
alexandrite.jpg
610KB, 1440x2560px
Sometimes cartoony doesn't translate well at all in real life like and even realistic can't save it. Steven Universe is the prime example of that and is really fun to watch from afar if you're just observing the cosplay scene only. Most those characters just cannot be cosplayed right for a multitude of reasons, like Peridot and almost everything about her.

Impossible hair and very specific body types, giant girls, extra limbs and body parts, skin paint, and so on. The whole series is a mess in regards to cosplay and about 2% come out looking as they should.

I'd like to know of any other series like SU where they're sort of "impossible" to get right no matter which way you go.
>>
>>9390142
I wouldn't say 'impossible' but 'really difficult'. I think any series where the characters have six arms and weird proportions, it's going to be tough to cosplay them unless you have the skill. The main problem with SU is that most of the cosplayers don't have the skill, tools, or experience to pull it off.

I'm also gonna say that full bodypaint almost never looks good (and I personally don't like the way bodysuits look)
>>
>>9389902
The bottom 2 and the far right top one are the best.
Top middle is ok
Top left is a hot mess.
>>
I think this is something that slows me down in progressing with my costumes, deciding which route to take because there will always be that one asshat who cries about it not being accurate to the source. On the other hand you've got something which would just translate better in real life and my own features. For example some pinks look awful on me or dont go with the wig I have, so I opt for something more flattering.
Another thing that really bugs me sometimes is the lack of presence of seams in costumes - some sources are fantastic, like Idolm@ster, but then you get these garments that characters wear that seem molded to the body and that makes me wonder where I should put my seams - can I get away with having princess seams to flatter my body when this is a young teen character who probably has a basic bodice with a few darts? Seams and darts just dont seem to exist in anime/games so you have to take the plunge and hope you didnt choose wrong.
>>
>>9390056
>>9389943

Looks like you're right anons. In an actual actual close up this is... not great. Not to memtion it's the only one taken in a photoshoot so it's already shopped and lit flatteringly and such.
>>
File: Sorey_Status_(ToZ)_1.png (220KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Sorey_Status_(ToZ)_1.png
220KB, 720x720px
>>9390183
>some pinks look awful on me or dont go with the wig I have, so I opt for something more flattering.
This. I ordered a wig in the wrong shade of purple which was more of a red violet over blue violet and it made a major difference on my skin. As for seams, I would recommend working with a stretch fabric that can achieve the shape without clinging awkwardly. I'm actually surprised sometimes when I see seam lines in designs. FFXIV is in love with top stitching but I think the intent is to express the sewing techniques of their universe. Also pic related, just a shirt, but looks like an actual shirt.
>>
>>9389902
Top left has dem legs tho
>>
>>9390204
Agreed, also I find that some beginner cosplayers are so obsessed about their fabric colours being as accurate as possible to what they see onscreen that they forget to make sure the fabrics they bought actually match well together in real life? Like people wont necessarily be holding up reference pictures beside you to compare colourtones to the source material, but literally anyone with eyes can notice if what you're wearing clashes horribly with itself, and it'll just throw off your whole costume
>>
>>9390285
are we looking at the same photo or do you just have shit taste?
>>
I think certain media/series lend themselves better to one style or another. Wind Waker cosplays come to mind specifically: the colour palette and art style of the whole game makes it so any 'realistic' cosplays I see from it seem so out of place. This isnt exactly the best example but overall I just think you need the very bright primary colours and kinda goofy look to it to keep the same feeling/aesthetic as the source material
>>
>>9390298
It's probably a male
>>
>>9390306
Is this bait or do lesbians not exist on your timeline?
>>
>>9390306
I'm attracted to girls as much as the next guy but those arent even the nicest legs in that collage, let alone in general
>>
>>9389923

While I don't disagree, I bet that the reason bottoom right looks better is because it's shooped beyond belief and everything else there is just a hall shot.
>>
File: Steven ohno.jpg (213KB, 1200x927px) Image search: [Google]
Steven ohno.jpg
213KB, 1200x927px
Am I the only one who hates western cosplay?
Excluding comic book characters, something about cosplaying western cartoons, which are stylized in a way less realistic way, usually ends up in pic related.

Maybe I just haven't found enough good ones.
>>
>>9395943
it looks like the steven cosplayer just said something racist and the amethist cosplayer is contemplating her existence
>>
>>9395943

Steven Universe is just a shit show.

I would actually go as far to say Western comics/cartoons have more 'realistic' dimensions than anime.
>>
>>9389902
I really like the cartoony look that the bottom left cosplayer was able to achieve. I know some people prefer a more realistic approach, but she did a really good job of resembling the source material.
>>
File: 392707627.jpg (26KB, 447x335px) Image search: [Google]
392707627.jpg
26KB, 447x335px
>>9395970
>>
>>9395959
No not at all. Aside from heads/faces anime is more similar to human proportions than something like steven universe, or adventure time so they don't lend themselves to cosplay as well.
But that's just my opinion on it obviously.
>>
I generally prefer a more realistic look, but it depends on the source material. For anime and cartoons, I think it's better when a cosplayer interprets the design and uses materials that make sense for the function and setting of the outfit. For realistic 3D things, like video games and movies, the exact way it's supposed to look in 3D is already canonically there, so you really can't alter the design much without looking lazy and inaccurate. Take Borderlands, for example: the cell shading is integral to the style of the game and characters, so you have to have that in your cosplay. However, I've seen some cosplays where the cell shading is done really badly and just looks unflattering. Ultimately, it's about how well it's executed.
>>
>>9396004

I think you're ignoring some of the largest western IPs out there.. Marvel and DC are all very realistic (idealized bodies though) but everything is in proportion.
>>
>>9389784
>normal color hair
I wish people could do their own hair well enough to cosplay some natural colors more
>>
>>9390046
Agreed. I like this Nui too. For characters that don't translate well into reality, I like realistic interpretations that requires some knowledge of the character as well.
>>
>>9396976
That one is lovely as well, I just wish she had a bigger wig. I remember seeing one anon who'd used regular curly clips (not drills) but made them massive, I wish I could find her again because it was perfect.
>>
>>9389902
since ballet is like... an actual thing with established costumes, bottom right looks best.
also holy shit, what is wrong with bottom middles torso+neck+head situation?
>>
>>9396445
I've seen a couple of love live cosplayers who use their natural hair. I love it on Eli, since wig ponytails often look a little strange. It's hard to make a ponytail that fluffy, though. There was a great Eli at my last local con who made a huge fluffy ponytail with extensions. Also natural haired Rins are adorable.
>>
i internally sperg at overly cartoony cosplays

in particular, yellow or neon orange wigs for characters obviously meant to be blonde or redhead
>>
>>9397016
Natural haired Hanayos can be really cute, too!
>>
>>9389902
I really love bottom right's approach to the pointe shoe look. It looks really sleek and fits with the rest of the costume. So sick of cosplayers thinking they can just put on pointe shoes and be a ballerina for the day. Like yeah any decently fit person can stand on pointe shoes but will also look like an idiot and be at high risk of injury. I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would want to walk around a convention with them on though, as they're not particularly comfortable or supportive for walking.
But going without shoes at all like upper left is inexcusable.
>>
>>9397140
Seriously! Basic black ballet shoes would be a lot more comfortable, and you wouldn't make nearly as much noise. (Although it's not like people are going to notice.)
>>
>>9396445
i'd love it though not everyone would be able to adjust their natural hair to fit the person they're cosplaying. Reminds me of my friend that really wanted to dye her hair orange for a character, but her hair just didn't react to color well at all.
>>
>>9397018
Every time someone who's cosplaying a blonde character gets a yellow wig I want to choke a bitch
>>
>>9397034
I mean, now that I think about it just about any love live character besides maybe Maki would be good for natural hair I suppose!
>>
>>9397015
What's wrong with it?
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 1030x1030px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 1030x1030px
>>9397140
TristenCitrine once used satin ballet flats and sewed ribbons to them. The result was gorgeous and looked comfy to boot! Unfortunately I just cannot find a pic.

If anyone's interested, here you can even have them dyed to match:

https://www.dyeableshoestore.com/product/colorful-creations-w635-flat/

https://www.dyeableshoestore.com/product/touch-ups-beth-white-flat/

Just remember: when you tie up your ribbon, tuck the knot under the ribbon. It will give you a beautiful, clean line. If you don't like the shoes that already come with a ribbon, there are tonnes of great tutorials on YouTube on how to sew and tie ribbons, and if you want that extra nudge of autencity, also think about sewing elastics.

I'm torn. On the one hand, I love the way those flats look. But on the other hand, I recently switched to Gaynor Midens and I am shocked at how ridiculously comfy they are. I haven't worn them for longer than class, but holy crap, where have these shoes been my entire life? I do not get the hate for Gaynors. Who knew there was a pointe shoe that didn't feel like the inside was coated with the roughest, scratchiest emory board ever made. It'd be nice to take shots in arabesque, but I'm still worried that after a couple of hours the sweet illusion of velvet coated comfort will gave way to the gnawing, scratchy, coarse pain of reality.
>>
>>9390334
>what are personal preferences

I personally prefer a little bit of chub
>>
>>9397018
I honestly hate those really cherry red wigs. Nobody's hair is usually that shade of red and it looks terribly fake. I do wish more people would adjust wigs to look good on them rather than go 100% canon. Certain colors/styles just won't look good on some people which is fine but try to make it work for you
>>
>>9397015
Bottom right looks like hot garbage, look past the nice photo, anon.
>>
>>9395943
lots of anime are very stylized. look in the past cringe threads.

>>9389902
1st and 3rd approach of having a sheer underside is the best, imo.
>>
Like most people in this thread have said, I think either approach can work. A lot of newbies seem to think the literal screen interpretations are the easier or more correct approach, but it takes a lot more to pull that off well more often than not.

Personally, I always found figuring out how to adapt a design to the real world the most fun part of cosplay. I like thinking about what something's meant to be or represent in terms of textiles or technique and what makes sense for the character.

I do think even with the screen accurate approach people could benefit a lot from allowing themselves to adjust color schemes a bit to fit their own coloring better. I've gotten in heated arguments with friends over this before, but color's all relative to begin with. Like, my skin has fairly strong pink undertones, even if the character's meant to be blonde-blonde I'll usually opt for a wig with a little more red in it over something more yellow so my face doesn't end up looking bright red and the wig the wrong color in comparison.
>>
>>9389684
I like the realistic style, but when the cosplayer have the experience to do a good cartoony cosplay I love it !
The thing that made me sad it's that when panty and stocking was really popular, there where a lot of good cosplayers who did cosplays of it , and nobody try to do the bell shaped hair for stocking or the christmass tree hair for panty or scanty. I wish I could saw that translated irl
>>
>>9395943
What's to hate about Western cosplay and what do you mean by that.

Do you mean you hate Western character designs or is it cosplayers not from Asian?
>>
>>9401254
>Excluding comic book characters, something about cosplaying western cartoons, which are stylized in a way less realistic way, usually ends up in pic related.

Are you just illiterate or something?
>>
>>9389684
sort of one this topic. I want to cosplay lilymon. Should I make her skirt and headpiece more of an armor, or should I try to make it more like fabric flowers and go for a slightly more realistic fairy look?
>>
>>9395943
>>9395947
>>9395959
Steven Universe is the worst show, although I can't think off the top of my head of a western show I'm actually excited to see cosplay for.
...I'm a little biased but I do like Western Video Game cosplay, though.
>>
>>9401346
>throws dice
>lands on edge

well i'm sorry but i can't help you. I can see a thin foam with an armour like construction looking really good if you dress it up well. But when you mention is as a "realistic fairy" i can also see it working so..... *shrugs*
>>
>>9401346
I would love to see a more realistic take on her!
>>
>>9401514
I think they just forgot to include video game characters because western video games aren't stylized and they even use real people to model after. Those are really the only times when I would find western source cosplay appealing whatsoever since I agree on the cartoon thing. It's just too heavily stylized to look "right".
>>
>>9397301
How good are they for wide feet or those with uneven toe length? I've heard some other 'pleasantly surprised' comments on Gaynors even though most people seem to wearing Bloch these days
>>
File: IMG_2902.jpg (124KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2902.jpg
124KB, 480x640px
Ever since I looked closer at the details of the Love Live costumes I've began to prefer more realistic. Might do a dump in a second.
>>
File: IMG_2903.jpg (621KB, 1280x1919px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2903.jpg
621KB, 1280x1919px
>>
File: IMG_2904.jpg (89KB, 564x845px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2904.jpg
89KB, 564x845px
>>
>>9389684
Funny how most people say they prefer realistic but if someone suggests not wearing a wig they get stoned.
>>
And here's one more example of why I personally prefer realistic over cartoony. As lovely as the second dress is, it does not have the same aesthetic appeal as the first one does. And because of that, I'm sure that the seamstresses at Disney also prefer the more realistic style vs the cartoony one.
>>
>>9417912
We said LOOKS realistic. It's very rare that people using their natural hair for cosplay look decent (the only exception imo are characters with really short hair).
>>
>>9389684
(For the record I thought the Maya on the right was the cartoony one because of the fabric choices, wig styling etc and it looks a lot better)
For me it depends on the source. If the source is cartoonish and colourful, I think the cosplay should be too. If it's gritty and realistic, then the cosplay should follow that rule. But with good taste. Take Sailor Moon's hair for example, it's coloured yellow in the source material but overly cartoonish lemon piss yellow wig would be too over the top, but so would a realistic honey/ash blonde. So the best choice to me personally is a synthetic blonde with a yellow hue. It's unnatural enough to be a for a cartoon character but realistic enough not to be distracting.

Some designs would also look awful and obtrusive when translated to real life by strictly following the reference image. Like overly poofy, 3-dimensional hems that defy all gravity. And >>9390046 I find this a great interpretation of Nui because I really hate all those attempts to replicate her hair. It can't be done without the hair looking like a pair of oversized mattress foam sheets.
>>
>>9417918
Anon, the dress on the right has just poor construction (fabric choices not formal enough, weak bodice, dress's hem draping like a wet rug, shapeless sleeves, white hip parts aren't poofy enough etc) which is why it looks gaudy and unappealing. If it was done as well as the one on the right, it would look just as good.
>>
File: IMG_0346.jpg (53KB, 301x488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0346.jpg
53KB, 301x488px
I'm making Paya from BOTW at the moment and I'm stuck on the sleeves. The mock up with a modified kimono pattern made the sleeves really deflated, would it be terrible idea to stuff them a little to make them fuller or stick to sad, sleeves?
>>
File: wig.png (634KB, 812x418px) Image search: [Google]
wig.png
634KB, 812x418px
Pardon my selfpost. I struggled with that when doing my Tatsumaki cosplay. In the end, I decided on making my wig (and dress) cartoonish and over the top instead of going for a realistic look.
I'm still not sure if I made the right choice, maybe something halfway realistic and cartoonish would be better, I don't know.

As other anons have said, Nui also suffers from the same fate. Any character with drill curls is also pretty hard to nail.
>>
>>9417996
Define 'formal fabric.' The blue satin looks pretty high quality, and while they're at least trying to make the hip panniers look interesting with a brocade, it just isn't working because the overall design would suck if you stuck to the on screen solids.

Using the screen accurate version it would just be solid blue and solid white and that just looks garish. If you have an example of how this dress rendered in 'formal' fabric while being completely screen accurate manages to look just as good as the park example, I'd love to see it!
>>
File: M7373_01.jpg (23KB, 216x297px) Image search: [Google]
M7373_01.jpg
23KB, 216x297px
>>9418886
for my Purah I am using this YayaHan McCall's pattern for the sleeves with alterations
>>
>>9417918
I agree, character designs are simplified/streamlined for animation. So a detailed/more realistic costume is like a detailed artbook illustration. Or a close-up/high definition version. Imagining what the details that couldn't be shown in the animation
>>
>>9389878
it pleases me that there's someone who still uses my reaction images
>>
File: Rin4.jpg (30KB, 287x452px) Image search: [Google]
Rin4.jpg
30KB, 287x452px
>>9417957
What about characters with flat hair?
>>
>>9418905
I like what you did with the bangs but not so much the rest. I honestly like the softer look so I'm not sure how you'd be able to make them work together. It definitely is more difficult with certain characters
>>
>>9397140
>>9397167
>>9397301

I'm not sure if this is on topic but I'm cosplaying a character who wears ballet shoe and was wondering if I should go with actual ballet slippers or ballet style flats? The slippers would be more realistic but I'm not sure how practical they would be for walking around a convention for most of the day.
>>
>>9430568
Slippers would be fine to walk around in as they're comfortable as all hell.

If you want the pointe shoe look, however, one of the satin flats posted should do the trick if you either add ribbons or get the ones with ribbons included (for extra realism don't forget the elastics. Just sew on an elastic band that goes from under that protruding bone near your heel to the other one at the other side of your foot.)

Man, this thread has made me so happy. I'm so glad there's still people interested in doing Princess Tutu costumes.
>>
File: IMG_2140.jpg (2MB, 3681x2758px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2140.jpg
2MB, 3681x2758px
>>
Realistic and made to be fit the tones that look good on your rather then a 1:1 fit to the reference.

The outfits Love Live uses for their lives are a good mix between fitting the actual voice actresses and still looking like the ones from the songs.

At the end of the day would you rather have your cosplay look flattering or do you want to look dumpy while having an exact cosplay?
>>
>>9430568
ballet flats, your feet will thank you
>>
>>9430709
this looks cheap
>>
>>9430717
Agree with this so much. Sometimes neck/waistlines need to be a little different in order to look good, sock lengths, bow sizes and placements, etc... I'd rather see a cosplayer with a nicely fitting costume that looks good on them but might have some small differences than ann unflattering costume thats ~100% accurate~. Small detail changes are definitely forgivable.
>>
File: 20170218_111053.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170218_111053.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>9430678
There where a couple at Katsucon this year.
>>
>>9433059
*were
>>
>>9433059
is this show making a comeback??? im seeing posts about it everywhere
>>
>>9432518
especially when you keep in mind the often ridiculous anime proportions. I'd rather see someone make the skirt a bit longer so it doesn't look tacky.

Also I don't mind a few extra details if the design is plain. No need to be like some of those japanese cosplayers that add lace and trim on every single inch, but I like it when people make it look a bit more detailed.
>>
>>9390162
Homestucks figured out how to do it. Body suits aren't the way to go but armsocks made out of tights and Ben Nye for the face and neck. Everybody just disregards their experience bc HS is infamous.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.