[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Describe Fandoms THread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 23

File: Fandom1.jpg (155KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Fandom1.jpg
155KB, 640x480px
What are your opinions on various fandoms?

>What "type" and demographic does it attract?
>How do they act and dress at cons?
>Good, bad, or mixed feelings about them?
>Are they surging in popularity or do you see less and less of them?
>>
>>9384279
I know what they are cosplaying as...

But goddamn does it look like a cossack unit had a special ed day.
>>
I feel like the "large" fandoms are ones where they are more accessible, have the largest casts, and give room for AU interpretation/OC creation and the like.

Going through recent history:

Naruto/Inu Yasha/FMA/Death Note
>All available on Toonami
>Most likely to be seen by "normies" as a gateway to other anime
>Naruto has huge cast, FMA has standard uniform as shown in OP, Inu Yasha not really cosplayed that much, Death Note had "easiest" cosplays (that all looked like shit but I digress)

Hetalia
>Large cast
>Half the characters looked the same
>Unclaimed nations = OC potential
>Different outfits, AUs, "2P" (I was into Hetalia and got out of it way before that stuff was even a thing, but I know it doubled the cast and cosplays)
>Webcomic and 5 minute episodes = easy accessibility and marathoning

Homestuck
>Large cast
>Simple cosplays
>Room for AUs/OCs
>Webcomic made it easier to read/get into

My Little Pony
>An anomaly, I won't discuss this further.

Attack on Titan
>Large cast
>Everyone had the same basic uniform, you only needed a wig change if you wanted to be lazy
>Flavor of the month anime, you couldn't avoid it

Love Live!
>Large cast
>Taobao cosplays
>Free mobile game/anime makes it easier to get into some way or another

Steven Universe
>OC potential
>"simple" cosplays (they aren't but people sure as shit act like they are)
>Panders to fanbase
>Fanbase is more online/through artists than in cosplay circles

Undertale
>Basically it's the Homestuck fandom that paid the $10 for a video game
>Hit or miss cosplays

JJBA
>Large cast
>In a way 8+ series in one
>Multiple character designs/colorations/etc
>Cosplays range from simple to extravagant
>Very old fanbase + kids just getting into it makes it seem larger than it actually is

Overwatch
>Fun characters and designs
>Different skins you can cosplay from
>More diverse of a cast meaning more people can cosplay from it
>>
>>9384494
Why do FMA uniforms always look so cheesy? They look thin, bright, and flimsy. Is getting a thicker material like those used in navy dress uniforms too expensive?
>>
>>9384554
cont

Also in terms of if they're "good" or not, all fandoms are going to be as good as the worst fans, and all fandoms have really cringe-y people in them, so it's not fair to assume a fandom is "good" or not based on the fanbase.

Except for Hetalia and MLP, those fandoms are garbage.
>>
>>9384555
99% of those that you see are ebay specials.

It's part cost, but msotly skill- very, very few FMA folks make their own uniform in my experience.
>>
>>9384279
>tfw nothing you like has a fandom
>>
>>9384279
This pic is a great example of people who think their real hair will work for their cosplay and why it just doesn't work. That being said this looks like 2005 or earlier when wigs weren't that easy to get for cheap.
>>
>>9384554
You forgot to mention how overly varied the quality of OW cosplay is. Ranging from big creative armors like Reinhardt to lazy and memetier like tanktop Meis, bodysuit Mercys, and gremlin Dvas.
>>
>>9384554
>An anomaly, I won't discuss this further.
I'd say the vocal majority buries the quiet minority. Something about it draws in retards of all kinds the same way Sonic does and the less than crazy fans will stay under the radar. However, said fans are a minority.
>>
My opinion of Homestuck
>A fandom that should be avoided at all costs
>Filled with the most obnoxious group, almost entirely filled with centennials
>Every time they have a gathering the rest of the convention is more peaceful
>Every time the gathering ends, they leave a massive pile of liter behind that other people have to clean up after
>>
Homestuck-
>underage drinking
>underage sex
>smeared paint
>deny anything bad with their fandom and they are the greatest fandom alive.
>thankfully dieing
>>
>>9385367
>>9385378
I think the Homestuck craze has finally died down because I don't see them that much at cons anymore and, when I do, they're fairly well-behaved. I think most of the fandom has gotten older so the more obnoxious are outnumbered instead of the reverse.

I think most popular fandoms start out being annoying and, like most things, the newness wears off and people flock to the next big thing save for a few diehard fans. I can't think of any one fandom that I truly can't stand.
>>
>>9385382
I'm judging this based on a Homestuck gathering at AnimeNEXT I saw two years ago. There was at least 300 of them. The convention was nearly silent, people could hold a conversation. Later on I walked through where they were when I went back to my car. There was trash everywhere, candy wrappers, feathers, cups, so on. There's a few other fandoms that annoy me, like shingeki no kyojin and love live, but I'm convinced Homestuck attracts the severely autistic.

They died down recently I don't bother spending much time in the cosplay areas to figure out what that group moved on to next, I think it's split between pokemon and love live.
>>
>>9384554
I've always argued that the easiest way to make a fandom *big* is big cast + large variety of cosplay options as far as skill level goes + easily recognizeable. Naruto had the headbands and Akatsuki cloaks, Sailor Moon and Attack on Titan have literal uniforms, Hetalia had flags and ahoges, Homestuck speak for itself, MLP have a very specific aesthetic not to mention the horns + ears + wings most gijinkas use.

And now, controversy:

Speaking as a Homestuck, on a large scale it is easily the most organized, dedicated, passionate and inspirational fandom I've ever been part of. Specific experiences will vary a lot between locations (here, we never had issues with littering, whatsoever, for example) but in general I feel like Homestuck put reins on its fandom pretty early and efficently. The vast majority of body paint smears at cons (again, probably with some local bias) aren't from Homestucks but from Adventure Time, WoW, League, Steven Universe... Because we realized fairly soon that we had a potential disaster at our hands and older fans put in a lot of effort to educate younger fans. Were there still issues? Yes, of course. A fandom can only be so centralized. But all things considered I think it's done a lot of good.

I get that people don't like us, because the comic is weird and the fandom is massive, and while we have the same bell curve of bad eggs as any other fandom we're also easy to spot.

Anyway, Homestuck is kind of a commitment as far as reading it goes, so it makes sense a lot of fans are kinda intense and a little weird themselves. I've seen so many amazing fan projects in this community and the fact that the general on this board is still running non-stop after literal years is pretty impressive.

Not sure if this made a great case for the fandom but those of you who explicitly brought us up in this thread seem to have a opinion I couldn't affect regardless so hey.
>>
>>9385428
Also as Homestuck, I cosplayed a handful of times and found EVERYONE else to be completely unbearable. I still love Homestuck, but I generally think people who like it kind of suck. :/
>>
>>9385428
I also had a very good experience with Homestucks back when i used to cosplay from it, the quality of cosplay was generally god awful but people were friendly and good at policing their own.
>>
>>9385428
Also speaking as a Homestuck, the fandom experience I had was pure and utter garbage, the group I was in became oversaturated with idiot tumblr teens/adults. Almost everyone in that group became trans one after the other, because it was just the done thing to do I guess, and there was a new fucking drama every day. There was so much drinking and PDA and disregard for public spaces (noise, litter, etc). The ones trying to keep things under control weren't any better, mind you, because they seemed to do it just for the sake of being preachy and authoritarian, and were, for the most part, ineffective.

The nice people who were also in the fandom quickly moved on to other things and stopped coming to the cosplay meets, leaving the cesspool to it's own devices. Unfortunately I didn't have the sense to do the same thing until a bit later on, so I had to sit with a bunch of kids while they got drunk and dry humped each other and pretended to have a whole load of wacky, fun mental illnesses.

But this isn't a fandom horror story thread as far as I'm aware so I'll leave it at that. Also all their cosplays were god awful (even mine), except for this one really nice girl who was super cute and talented and was clever enough to jump ship early.
>>
>>9384564
It took several years to finally meet someone cosplaying a character from my favorite anime. After 6 years and 20+ conventions later, only seen 3 others cosplay from it.

>>9385367
this, 100%
>>
>Overwatch
Probably has the widest amount of appeal to different demographics right now
Ranges from amazing intricate cosplays to titty cosplayers & joke costumes, very few canon outfits are properly done
Great cosplays are awesome, feels like the game and characters are so easily accessible you don't know if someone dressed up from it or not actually plays though
About decently popular still

>Persona
Chill, friendly most of the time
Most cosplays are shit since a lot of persona cosplayers can't do wigs to save their life
It's usually fun running into someone since it is not a series attention seeking people usually cosplay from
Way less but Persona 5's US release may change that

>Dangan Ronpa
From personal experience tumblr autists that won't talk to you even if you are dressed from the same series, shippy as hell
Usually okayish bought costumes but often have godawful makeup
Pretty negative feelings desu I've only ever met a cool Celeste who chatted about how she made her drill curls
Usually less, it feels like its moved on

>Steven Universe
Fandom hoppers, lots from tumblr, only occasionally obnoxious
They usually look pretty bad (minus kids obviously) seriously how can you fuck up such simple designs so badly
Okay feelings but bad bodypaint on pearls/lapis/etc. make me itch
They're still everywhere
>>
>>9385751
>They usually look pretty bad (minus kids obviously) seriously how can you fuck up such simple designs so badly
I think SU is one of those shows where the designs LOOK simple and so people think it's easy. Until they actually start working on the cosplay and then they realize it's a lot more work than they expected. I feel like it's the same as Homestuck in that regard because there's bodypaint involved with a lot of the characters, wigs that aren't that tough but can be a challenge for someone just starting out, and then there's also weapons.

I think SU is another fandom where the quality varies pretty wildly. You either get some pretty impressive work or stuff that's really bad. There's not really an in-between.

I only just started getting into the actual fandom but I stayed away from it for so long because the stories always seemed to be pretty bad.
>>
File: Post general waste land.jpg (244KB, 1240x1571px) Image search: [Google]
Post general waste land.jpg
244KB, 1240x1571px
>>9385751
Dangit Ronpaul and SU got a LOT of the Tumblr Homestuck fandom after it went on that like two year hiatus.
>>
>Payday
A step below military cosplay for closet cosplay.
A bargain brand suit like Stockhomme + a face mask and cheap plastic guns are you are set which makes it a low level entry
Only exception is the Jimmy and Jacket cosplays. No self respecting Jacket goes without their own personal tape recorder.

>Military Cosplay
Airsoft bros who happens to like anime
Umbrella Corps, MGS are the most common suspects, but you may see the odd COD guy
Made up of Airsoft store employees and rent a cops, no military/LEO with airsoft hobby will do this due to laws forbidding military uniform in public.
>>
>>9385529
Are you UK? I feel like your UK Homestuck.
>>
>>9385751
Most of the remaining people into Dangan Ronpa are funny, dedicated, and chill in my experience. The 2013 Tumblr fans have 90% moved on to the newer trends.
>>
>>9384554
I'd agree to this

Though to be part of homestuck or hetalia fandom you must be obnoxious af

Undertale is starting to appear here as well.
>>
>>9385428
Usually it's not down to cosplay smears or whatever. Its the obnoxious behaviour. Screaming shouting running about generally being an irritant to other attendees. Plus, I always got an attitude from them so that just turned into intense dislike.

Inb4 what did you say?! "Oh your horns are really cool! How did you get that effect on them? What are you cosplaying from?"
>>
>>9385428
>Homestuck
>I get that people don't like us, because the comic is weird and the fandom is massive, and while we have the same bell curve of bad eggs as any other fandom we're also easy to spot.
I never bothered reading Homestuck, know nothing of it, the fandom is the reason for this.
I have thought for years as y'all as "zodiac trolls" cause I was uninterested in learning about your group
There are plenty of other fandoms that are massive that don't gather to act like annoying disruptive idiots
I automatically have no respect for any group that doesn't care for their surrounding environment, like leaving trash everywhere you go. Eat a candy bar? Lets just throw a wrapper on the ground instead of walking the extra 10 feet to a trash can.
The body paint is probably one of the worst issues, hotels loathe you people, I hope you know that. Cheap body paint washed off in a shower clogs their drains. It's your group that is a solid reason convention prices go up as high as they do each year.

>Hetalia
I'm grateful this fandom is almost extinct. Mostly have the same issues with the Homestuck fandom w/o the body paint, but with people waving giant flags attempting to LARP as the most cliche stereotypes of their nations. Running around like sugared up 12 year olds yelling at the top of their lungs. At the height of this, actual Nazis. Would think it's funny to meme as Nazis in front of old people on the streets or do photoshoots at Holocaust museums while doing Hitler salutes.
>>
>>9386623
I think Hetalia is ten times worse than Homestuck. Homestucks have actually grown up and the older ones seem to keep the younger bunch in check. Hetalia is still just as horrible
>>
The truth is that there is no such thing as a good fandom. The activity of people investing too much time into a show or comic or anime is cringe in itself. The examples of where the cancer is and what they do change with popularity but even without it, fandoms attract the weirdos. So even when that hoard of teens who do weird shit moves into the next thing, the people left behind are just as awkward and annoying as ever.

It is basically why panels of people talking about the thing they really like is exhausting. It always turn into shipping, weird sexualizing if things and boring memes. It's all cool when you are 14 and just start going to cons but as an adult it's embarrassing. Normal people don't need to latch on to stuff like this for interaction, so it's a breeding place of autistic people.
>>
>>9384555
>>9384562
Premade costumes have come an insanely long way in the last 10+ years, too. Everything except $500 Cospa stuff was absolute garbage back in the days when FMA was popular, and those uniforms were no exception.

I think my shitty FMA uniform is still in a closet at my parents' house, lol.
>>
>>9386623
>Hetalia Fandom

Desecrating flags. I kid you not, I have seen Hetalia fans fuck up and destroy flags. They may be ones they've bought themselves, but they're usually don't this shit near AIRPORTS.

"Hi, welcome to the country. On your left you will see grey clouds. On the right a bunch of weebs destroying your country's flag. Hope you enjoy your time"
>>
>>9386690
I do kind of agree. Now that I'm older, I still enjoy certain shows and I like meeting other people that enjoy them as well but I don't need to hear about your weird ships. I feel like it's fine to talk about that stuff with your friends but not complete strangers and certainly not acceptable to have an entire panel about it. However, I don't think all fandoms are bad. Some fandoms just attract an older crowd and thus end up being more or less tolerable.
>>
>>9385793
In my experience, all the SU cosplays I've seen have bad to mediocre. Hell, I could argue Steven is this year's lazy-ass L costume.
>>
>>9384557
>MLP is garbage
Sigh, I actually love MLP but yes the majority of the fandom is a dumpster fire
>>
>>9386757
I don't know, I think in the beginning it was worse. I've seen some pretty great work lately but SU doesn't seem to be huge where I am so that could be why.

I will agree about Steven though. Every Steven is like a thirty year old man in kids clothes with a shitty wig.
>>
>>9385793
>>9386757
>>9386776
I know this is going to inspire some rage, but man, I really wish people would keep their Western children's cartoon shit out of my damn anime cons.

I don't mind stuff like video games, especially because Japanese games are so closely linked with anime, and more and more western games draw influence from it as well (i.e. Overwatch), but Steven Universe has no place at an anime con.
>>
>>9386801
I never really got this debate and it's never bothered me. People cosplay anime shit to comic cons. You can enjoy anime and still cosplay from Western media. I don't get why videogames would get a pass but not anything else, doesn't make much sense imo.

I personally have stopped attending anime cons because I've moved away from the anime community but, last year, I saw plenty of people cosplaying from western shows.
>>
>>9386801

I won't argue with your point, but considering SU is a love letter to Magical Girl anime in a lot of ways it's not the best example.
>>
>>9386807
The big thing for me is that anime cons and cosplay have traditionally revolved around media which is intended for teenagers and adults. The video games that were popular at anime cons were ones intended for the same demographic and which shared many distinctive visual and storytelling traits with anime. Anime cons in the old days were a place for older teens and adults to bond over age-appropriate media.

Things like SU and other kids' cartoons are a big deal because they bring an entirely different kind of people into the scene, and have been doing it in such major numbers that we anime fans are being displaced out of our own conventions. Additionally, younger people might not remember this, but we anime fans spent decades campaigning to convince people anime was a legitimate art form and an adult-appropriate medium, and now all of our efforts have been undermined as any outsider looks at one of our cons and sees that they're full of overgrown emotionally stunted (wo)manchildren running around dressed up as characters from kids cartoons that didn't even exist until after they were old enough to buy liquor.

I know this might be selfish of me and that I'm obviously quite emotionally invested in this situation, but cons were the one place and time in the year where fans like me could go and be surrounded by other people like ourselves. They were places where we could meet people who shared our interests instead of judging us for them, who had similar taste to us, and who were as enthusiastic as we were about our little niche hobby. That's all been destroyed now, and anime cons are nearly indistinguishable from comic or other fandom cons. The thing we created and nurtured has been co-opted and taken away from us and now we're stuck with nowhere to go.
>>
JJBA fandom:
>what a beautiful duwang
>>
>>9386843
I mean, I feel for you senpai but anime cons aren't really as inclusive and fun as they once were and I don't blame western media for that. You get older and the scene changes. Most anime cons I attend are full of teenage weebs and I'm too old to deal with the screaming and obnoxious behavior. I can't get angry with them because I was the same way once. As for the overgrown manchildren, I deal with that more from anime fans if I'm being totally honest. And you still have the fujoshits and the like that run around screaming about yaoi. There are bad apples in both communities; I just think one stands out more to you because of how the community was before.

I try to go to bigger cons now that attract more of an older crowd and I do have to say that comic and gaming cons tend to have an older demographic. I will always love anime and there are certain shows that mean a lot to me but I've had to branch out. Sucks getting older but now I can go to local anime/cosplay meetups with people that are my age and have a good time. Sage for off-topic
>>
File: SANY0028.jpg (456KB, 2240x1260px) Image search: [Google]
SANY0028.jpg
456KB, 2240x1260px
>>9385378
Can confirm all this was true

t. mistakes were made

I don't think it's gonna die out from cons properly for a good few years though, there are some people still crazy about it for some reason
>>
>>9386807
>I don't get why videogames would get a pass but not anything else, doesn't make much sense imo
Because there are plenty of anime-style video games
>>
>>9386740
>that time when hetaliafags dressed as Nazis in front of the holocaust museum while hieling Hitler
What a fucking mess
>>
>>9386846
No dignity
>>
>>9386858
I was amazed that there was a Homestuck meet back at last year's AFO.
They all sat in a dead end corridor off of the deadest part of the main hall like doing cuddle puddles and just being generally loud.
>>
>>9386885
>cuddle puddles
...do I even want to know what that means?
>>
>>9386801
Maybe at cons in Japan you'd have a point but at western cons, cosplaying western characters is perfectly acceptable desu, don't be a party pooper.
>>
Any fandom where gender politics is a thing is going to end up being cringe as fuck. Even if the series itself handles it well the fandoms turn them into something weird and get ugly if you disagree with their views, even if it's super twisted past the creator's intention. I think Persona 4 and Dangan Ronpa had this for a short time but I think the remaining fans are pretty chill. SU on the other hand is still running, reached an even younger demographic and is available through mainstream western media therefor I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.
>>
File: 1486388779345.jpg (29KB, 530x458px) Image search: [Google]
1486388779345.jpg
29KB, 530x458px
>>9386801
>yfw a character from Western media wins a cosplay competition at an anime con
>>
File: 1458425381442.jpg (216KB, 700x463px) Image search: [Google]
1458425381442.jpg
216KB, 700x463px
>>9386807
People shouldn't cosplay anime shit to comic cons either, I am 100% for separating the two. Mostly, I'd just like a separation between western media and Japanese media. Why do video games get a pass? Well, can you really look at something like Fire Emblem or Ace Attorney and deny that it's anime? I feel like superhero shit pandering is one of the main culprits in drawing dudebros and normies to anime conventions, and honestly, that type of crowd makes me uncomfortable and is exactly the one I try to avoid. I have 0 affinity with comics or western tv shows. I'm even willing to give something like SU a pass because it's fairly anime-inspired and still quite a bit of a nerd thing, but I really don't see how Deadpool and Game of Thrones have anything to do with say, Touken Ranbu and Love Live. Combine this with the fact that most if not all comic cons are just glorified dealer rooms and I feel like they're a huge part of what's shitting up convention culture right now.
>>
>>9386801
As long as people don't complain where their non-Japanese media cosplay is not allowed in the masq or the con keeps their panels down to a minimum I could care less.

I have had to fight the urge to punch a Mabel Pines at Anime Expo in the face because she had never seen any anime ever and asked if Korra counted.

We've reached a weird point in animation where the stuff the west is putting out is actually getting better and better while a lot of new anime feels pretty much the same. I'm not really surprised that the balance is being thrown off.
>>
>>9386887
If it relates to Homestuck just use your imagination. Mostly kids that choose to conform to gender/sexual ambiguity, as in those that may claim to be a pansexual demiboy. Lump themselves together on the floor probably feeling each other up. Since it is Homestuck, they probably act very giddy huffing glue or whatever else at 15 year old can sneak into a convention.
>>
The comic con vs anime con cosplay debate is actually retarded. The line between these two types of cons has been so blurred that it really doesn't matter what you want to cosplay as to a certain convention. 99% of people really do not give a shit. There are so many other more important issues in the cosplay community to be screeching about "wahhh i dont want to see that character at this convention wahh wahh"

In before "wahh you must cosplay anime characters at comic cons or vice versa."
>>
>>9386900
Dude, that gender politic shit has spread into damn near everything. I remember reading shit about these types arguing that Kakyoin from JJBA was really trans.
>>
>>9386903
>I'm even willing to give something like SU a pass because it's fairly anime-inspired and still quite a bit of a nerd thing, but I really don't see how Deadpool and Game of Thrones have anything to do with say, Touken Ranbu and Love Live.
This I will agree with. I mean, I probably don't have too much of a say since I don't cosplay anime characters anymore but I do feel like some western media is anime-inspired and it certainly fits in with convention culture. That and there isn't really anywhere they necessarily fit; they don't have cartoon cons.

I think it's tricky because you can't really tell people what they're allowed to cosplay. You COULD but I think it would significantly lower attendance numbers and, right now, most cons are trying to get as many people in as possible. I agree on the superhero bit though and I know I'm definitely biased but I'd be happy if I never had to see another Deadpool cosplayer.

>>9386904
I agree that Japanese media should win cosplay competitons at anime cons. I do think it's a bit shitty when someone cosplaying from something western wins since that isn't the focus of the con but I guess that goes down to the judges. That last part is why I'm taking a break from anime cons. I don't recognize hardly anything anymore because all of the anime I watched is old now and the new stuff isn't my cup of tea.
>>
>>9386914
>The line is blurred
Ever go to any large comic con like NYCC or the other Wizard World shit cons?
Comic conventions are filled with very sad people that look like they don't want to be there. Thousands upon thousands of people that were duped into going because nerd culture is popular and mainstream, at least for the meanwhile, thanks to shows like TBBT, it's now hip to be a geek and see what it's all about. I think comic culture jumped the shark the moment you see Fox News attending NYCC, once that group accepts it, it's no longer niche enough for me. Most people that attend comic cons treat these things like they're boat shows, they'll show up look around for an hour or so and leave. Some anime cons seem like they have to use a cattle prod to get some people out of the convention center 3 hours after the con officially ends.

You can cosplay whatever the hell you want at an anime con, because anime weebs know WAY more about most comics because the people in western culture grew up with these characters. However cosplaying as an anime character at a comic convention is going to get you a lot of weird looks cause the vast majority of the people there won't know what the hell you're trying to be. Try being something like Cyber Kotori at a comic con, people will just look at you like you're sick.
>>
>>9386925
Yeah, I'm not necessarily for the policing of what other people should cosplay, there's no way to really enforce that anyway, but I feel like the events should be clearly separated and that there should absolutely be no events related to western shit at anime cons, and no anime related events at comic cons. If someone wants to attend in an "unsuitable" cosplay then that's their right, but they should at least feel like they're out of place, you know? I really feel like western media is slowly usurping the hold over anime cons.
>>
>>9386930
I get what you're trying to say, but I don't think the increased number of normies at large comic-conventions changes my point. Even at NYCC/SDCC there is an anime presence, albeit a relatively small one. You're not going to get any weird looks cosplaying as an anime character at any anime/comic con, regardless of size, because cosplaying isn't anything new to normies. They expect to see cosplay when they go to a con, and if they don't know much about comics, then it's a given that they're going to see characters they don't recognize. They probably won't even realize that it's an anime character rather than a Western character. Unless you're cosplaying some weird skimpy maid with tentacles coming out from underneath her skirt or something, literally nobody (not even normies!) will care about you enough to give you strange looks. If someone has personal experiences where they think they received weird looks cosplaying an anime character at a large comic con, they might just be insecure or have a victim complex.
>>
>>9386932
You can thank the normie congoers who think every con is Comic Con, and the greedy organizers that make every con Comic Con because it sells.
>>
I've been in the Hetalia fandom for five years, and it's so difficult to seperate it. It always had its pool of the awful ones (I mean the Nazi cosplayers and the godawful teenagers who did shit like hit people with real frying pans and stuff), and the side of the fandom thats more relaxed. I think as the fandom has died down, a lot of the younger fans have gone onto the hot new trend shows, and the odler fans have moved on, so you've just got a base of fans who aren't too bad anymore. That being said, I'm still going to do a nostalgic Italy cosplay at a convention this year with my friend, to celebrate the fact that we met through this hell-fandom.
>>
>>9386877
>chew
>>
>>9387077
I can't help but think of yaoi paddles when I think of Hetalia and Ouran, and I think a lot of others still share that same perception. The fandom my have gotten better, but as with other fandoms like Homestuck. the reputation will never recover.
>>
>>9386932
Eh, I feel like panels are lacking enough already that getting rid of half of them wouldn't help. The thing is, most people aren't strictly anime fans anymore. I like going to a con that has some variety. I think it's why cons like Dragoncon are do huge, it's not just ONE thing. I'm personally all for more multi-genre cons. But, again, off-topic
>>
>>9386195
Yes, I am anon! What gave it away?
>>
>>9386623
I thought it was just a group of annoyingly autistic fujoshis. WTF is up with the nazi stuff.

I can just picture a landwhale fujonazi eerily looking around for jews to glomp.

>>9386925
> I don't recognize hardly anything anymore because all of the anime I watched is old now and the new stuff isn't my cup of tea.

I know that feel. Where do these people find these new anime and characters? /a/ is too ahead of the curve and goes with obscure stuff while the stuff I know is too old.

>>9387103

What if crossover becomes so common that they all officially or unofficially just become "nerd" media cons?
>>
>>9387092
I always forget about yaoi paddles, the cons around here all banned them like a decade ago.

Are they still a thing? Seems like the kind of thing you'd find at some of those local cons where 95% of the attendees are autistic teenagers.
>>
>>9387416
For the last 5 years, I haven't seen a trace of Yaoi paddles anywhere. Good riddance.
>>
>>9385428
Remember when it was popular to bring buckets to cons and have everyone spit into them because 'lol its for the mothergrubs'? Or how much weird tentacle bulge porn was created?

I loved Homestuck as well, I stuck thru the massive hiatuses even, but holy fuck that fandom produced a hell of a lot of garbage. The list just goes on and on
>>
>>9387110
You enjoying your homestuck experiences. That doesn't happen here in the US
>>
Stop fragmenting an already small community.

We're all weebs. Don't let silly 'fandumbs' fracture it even more
>>
>>9386903
You're shit and your opinion is shit.
As 'nerd' there is fuck tons of overlap with Western and Japanese media. There is no reason to fracture people so needlessly.
Conventions need not be separate. And you shouldn't force seperation on people either. Bigger communities are riskier, yes, but they also foster a healthier community where you might actually find someone you could get along with. And not just a few people who you might love the content, but hate the fandom.
This expectation that every community be a few die hard fans is dumb. Expand your puny monkey brain and imagine what will happen when you are more accepting and inclusive.
>>
>>9386900
God I had to unfollow so many tumblrs that used to be cool but then descended into Dangan Ronpa gender bullshittery. Or literally identifying with a character to the point of flipping out if you posted art or something of them without their permission.
>>
>>9387092
Well that makes me feel old, I associate Yaoi paddles with Kingdom Hearts and Naruto.
>>
>>9387501
The one thing I hate the most about the current state of the world is the fact we need to be "accepting and inclusive" of every retarded idea people shit out. I will be a selective elitist until the day I die, fucking fight me.
>>
>>9387407
>What if crossover becomes so common that they all officially or unofficially just become "nerd" media cons?
They kind of already are? You mention cons or cosplaying to most people and they automatically think of nerds running around in costumes. For me, I'd rather a bigger crowd for the chance to meet more people than a small group of elitists that I'd probably never be friends with - regardless of liking the same shows.

>>9387501
Basically this. The bigger cons I've gone to always seem to have a more engaging atmosphere and that's where I've met a lot of close friends.
>>
Requesting opinions on the current Vocaloid fandom. Is it dead yet? The last con I visited was in 2012 but I fell in love with it all over again.
>>
Edgy post ahead:

All fandoms are terrible, when the only thing your community stands on is "We all like thing" its going to attract the lowest community college attending, Ive-never-left-the-place-where-I-was-born mouth breathing common denominator.

Some fandoms are more terrible than others.
>>
>>9387491
I thought my entire post was me shit-talking the experience though. Did you reply to the wrong post? There's nothing positive about having to babysit hyper-horny drunk 14 year olds.
>>
>>9384279
I hate fandoms! I am technically a fan of things but I'm not a part of fandom. There are all insane, especially on tumblr and I really don't want to be part of that scene. They go crazy when you don't agree with them and I've seen them send death threats over stupid shit.
>>
>>9387650
Yeah that's why fandoms were able to revive canceled shows, expand their numbers, donate to charity and even gotten employed by the actual shows that they support
>>
>>9387770
The Homestuck fandom never did any of that. All they ever do is dry hump each other and be generally loud.
>>
>>9387650
Whoops, yes you are right, meant to reply to

>>9385428
>>
>>9386885
Cuddle puddles sound fun, actually.
Comfy orgy.
>>
>>9388483
Start the trend anon. Start spreading rumors of an orgy and just have it be a bunch of people being comfy in a pile.
>>
>>9386206
>>9386900
I got into Dangan Ronpa about a year ago so I think I missed most of the tumblr shit. I only follow one person who makes cute drawings of Gundam but lately they've been shipping Souda with Nekomaru and I mean, you do you but I'd imagine it was a lot worse when the games originally came out.

Now I have to avoid the search tag entirely until I play V3.
>>
>>9388483
I mean that's fine, that's basically what I do at friend's movie nights. But keep it off the fucking con floor.
>>
>>9387504
Gender bullshittery? Is this about Chiaki?

It's funny because the game's Western popularity started on Something Awful so all the fans I know IRL are late 20s STEM guys. Two very different demographics.
>>
File: Chihiro_(16).png (90KB, 480x625px) Image search: [Google]
Chihiro_(16).png
90KB, 480x625px
>>9389451
You mean Chihiro? Pretty much. A lot of western fans are trying to cling to what few representations of trans characters they can find in Japanese media to the point where they reject the narrative.

The one I hate the most is how upset they get that Naoto from Persona 4 starts dressing like a girl again in later games. Even though the only reason she dressed like a guy was because she felt it fit her idea of what a cool detective looked like and wasn't about her feeling like a different gender.

Honestly Japan is always going to be behind America by about 10 years when it comes to social issues so the fact these characters are being portrayed as heroes at all is a big step.
>>
>>9389460
I offhandedly commented to someone recently that there's no canon trans character in DR and after I said it I was immediately nervous that they were going to flip out at me or something. The crusades RE: Chihiro's gender were absurd.

>>9386900
>Any fandom where gender politics is a thing is going to end up being cringe as fuck.
What's really fucked up is that this is now happening with Zelda of all things, because the devs dared to give the fanservice of Link crossdressing and appearing to like it. Now to some, Link is a trans girl and if you say otherwise you're transphobic.
>>
File: ff7_cloudia_by_love_squad.jpg (254KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
ff7_cloudia_by_love_squad.jpg
254KB, 467x700px
>>9389477
Luckily this never happened to Cloud as most new fans of FFVII only know Advent Children, but I imagine after the remake hes going to get shoehorned in if they keep the Wallmarket portion
>>
>>9389477
Link has been ambiguous for a very long time, I wouldn't call this new. Don't feel pressured not to speak your mind about this. There is an insanely small percentage of people that are actually trans in reality, less than one percent. The rest are just autistic idiots that want to pretend they're special by declaring they're one of hundreds of something getting triggered if you don't refer to a proper pronoun. Looking at the Homestuck trolls again.
>>
>>9389460
>>9389477
>>9389482
Yeah its especially ridiculous considering its pretty obvious in-game that Cloud is not crossdressing by choice, and Chihiro is only doing it because they don't feel confident enough to be male, but they want to. I haven't played BotW, but the few screenshots I've seen seem to indicate Link is also not comfortable with it? I dunno, tumblr doesn't seem to need much of a reason to declare someone 'totally trans sorry if you dont agree i dont make the rules sweetie ;P '

Anyway, back on topic, I've been enjoying finding anime that is a little bit older and thus has a very small fanbase. It sucks theres not so much art or people to talk with, but the fans that do exist genuinely like that thing for what it is and not because its 'the new It Thing' so the discussions are actually better.

All my most recent 'wtf is going on' moments have been seeing what little of the Steven Universe manages to leak onto my tumblr or Facebook feeds. Part of me wants to watch the show to see if it is really good or not, but a much larger part of me sees all the drama and is totally turned off by it,
>>
>>9389534
>I've been enjoying finding anime that is a little bit older and thus has a very small fanbase
Same. I would love to do a Guilty Gear group cosplay, but its peak popularity is long in the past. Maybe Blazblue has a better chance?
>>
>>9389573
Nahhh, Guilty Gear compared to Blazblue involving cosplay has the way better chance; coming from an ex-Blazblue cosplayer.
>>
>>9389686
Really? I did see a Millia at Katsu. If I see BB, its usually Ragna or Taokaka. Who did you used to cosplay as?
>>
File: Tequila.png (416KB, 450x648px) Image search: [Google]
Tequila.png
416KB, 450x648px
>>9389477
You heard it here first gulls, a man in a dress is trans.
>>
>>9387501
I go to an anime con to share an experience with weeaboos over weeb shit. I go to a comic con to share an experience over capeshit movies and scifi/fantasy stories.

Bigger communities are a positive thing -until- you get to the point of John Q Public wandering in and treating it like a discount theme park. Until all the fan-focused/generated content is replaced with industry pushing mass-market product. Which is what has happened to comic cons and Anime Expo.

In the 70's and 80's, sci-fi cons and comic book swap meets were the ONLY thing. Slowly anime carved a corner into them despite some opposition from older fans until it broke off and anime specific cons started in the 90s. Anime went back to getting pushed out of western cons. Just look at what happened when NYCC and NYAnimeFestival merged. The anime got pushed into a little ghetto in a back corner.

If a con advertises itself as generic geek/fandom con, good for them. If a con advertises itself as an anime/japan con, it should stick to its theme. Geek culture has grown to the point where Cartoon network show fans have plenty of places to gather outside of anime cons.
>>
>>9389534
Well, if you want to see what are the bad parts of Steven Universe,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svSsbbAnuTA
The video is comedic but it points out some real unnerving things done under the guise of 'diversity'. If that doesn't bother you then sure give it a watch you might like it.
>>
This thread has actually been interesting.
How do you guys feel about series with smaller communities? Do you think that they're less likely to be cringy? Any series you wish had a bigger fandom?
>>
>>9389573
Guilty Gear Xrd is still pretty boss and I think the characters are more memorable.
>>
>>9389714
Tbqh? Taokaka lol. But it was my first cosplay ever. I wanna do Kokonoe or Platinum currently. If I didn't hate make up as much as I do, A.B.A is my girl. I'd also cosplay Bedman but, his bed is kind of a key component lol
>>
>>9385382
the 413 meet in London is going multifandom this year cause of how much homestuck is dying down
>>
File: best alt color.gif (2MB, 540x288px) Image search: [Google]
best alt color.gif
2MB, 540x288px
>>9390383
Damn, we have similar tastes. I still have an A.B.A as a work in progress. Also would love to do Kokonoe. Noel's original outfit and May are more within my skill-range though, so I plan on making them soon. If I were actually curvy/busty, I'd do pic. related
>>
>>9390395
I love a lot of the other Jellyfish Pirates' outfits personally; as cute as May is.
I originally wanted to do OG Noel as my first cosplay and was going to, but the company my mom was gonna get the cosplay from as a christmas gift kinda dicked us over lol.
>>
>>9390394
>Dedicated Homestuck meet is going to not be exclusively homestuck
This can only go one way.
Why not just move on? Homestuck is over, and while it was fun while it lasted, it's still over. The game is dead in the water, the fan artists are doing other things, the team has long moved onto to other things, but yet people still decide to cling onto it and try to stage meets like there were in 2010.
>>
>>9390468
Tell that to the Trekkies.
>>
>>9390525
I guess, but Star Trek was a cultural phenomena that's lasted decades; Homestuck was an outlet for mentally damaged teens who jumped ship at the first sign of a hiatus.
>>
File: IMG_3132.jpg (120KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3132.jpg
120KB, 1920x1080px
>>9389534
>I've been enjoying finding anime that is a little bit older and thus has a very small fanbase

Literally the seinen community in a nutshell.

>Tfw Berserk never had it's hayday, and every adaptation asides from the 90's anime is utter garbage

Pic related, it's a standard scene from the 2016 "adaptation".
>>
File: Qc1KO3u.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Qc1KO3u.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>9390557
This is the only thing keeping me from watching the new version. It's like they watched the early JoJo OPs and said "Hey that'd be great if we made a whole show like this!".
>>
>>9390468
iunno. I don't even like homestuck, I only go to the meets cause I have friends that go.
>>
File: berserk1b_zpslkrsiasu.gif (3MB, 500x277px) Image search: [Google]
berserk1b_zpslkrsiasu.gif
3MB, 500x277px
>>9390557
Yeah the director of that thing had previously only worked on cheap, goofy schoolgirl comedy anime. Not sure what possessed them to put him at the forefront of Berserk.
>>
>>9390565
I think that's too high of a compliment. I'd watch the hell out of a show that legitimately looked like the CGI JoJo OPs.
>>
>>9390583
Yeah I take that back. The new Berserk is more comparatively to an early PS2 game.
>>
>>9390365
They can actually be worse because people seem to be way more intense since there aren't many other fans. It's always cool to run into someone because it's rare but smaller fandoms have their problems too.

I don't really have any series that I wish had a bigger fanbase. Most of the stuff I end up enjoying is either old or has a tiny fanbase so I've gotten used to it
>>
>>9386740
My friends did a hetalia group, so I decided to tag along and cosplay Prussia. I kid you not, we all got harassed by a bunch of kids. Yelling at us with incredibly bad fake accents and even grabbing us. We were like 17 and 18 at the time and these kids weren't that much younger than us. It's got such a shit fanbase
>>
>>9390557
>so put ya grasses on
>nothing wirr be rong
The 90's anime was fucking perfect. Nothing will ever top it.
>>
>>9390712
Yes and no. At the end of the day we're all nerds and some of us a fucking weird. In larger fandoms we just happen to notice them more because they get an echo chamber for their crazy. On hte other hand hte Tokusatsu fandom is super cool and chill with a good sense of humor but you still get that one guy that only cares about Power Rangers and takes it 100% seriously or that one guy who won't stop talking about wanting to smell female actress's farts.
>>
>>9390767
The Tokusatsu scene in Japan seems really chill. Like they're all diehard fans who grew up with the stuff, and have spent years of their time honing the skills to make the costumes.
>>
>>9387548
We've had 4 game releases in the US in the last couple of years and they haven't touched any of Mayu's songs yet. I doubt Vocaloid is going to die anytime soon. Speaking of which

The vocaloid fandom is always interesting because it's quite popular but also very deep. You can tell how big of a vocaloid fan someone is by asking about there favorite song. There are over 200 in just the US game releases and thousands of community created songs online. Most of the community is pretty chill and willing to listen to new music with the occasional I'm only cosplaying Miku because she's popular!

MLP - At brony conventions they are the nicest group of convention goers you will ever meet. Also some of the nicest show staff who join in the fun (pic is of two writers getting ready to play the CCG against each other). Outside of brony cons, the people brave enough to show their fandom aren't awkward about it. They like MLP and don't care who knows.

Undertale - I think this one is just a passing fad. The game was interesting but I don't see the fandom being able to continue with so little base content to go on and no sequel really viable for the game's story. Because of the short length of the game, there really isn't much to discuss about it so meeting another fan is just "hey cool, you liked that game too!"

Western children's cartoon besides MLP - They have a tough time finding a place since comic cons are now more focused on super hero and movie/TV shows that children's cartoons don't get much of a spotlight. At anime cons, they get told that western cartoons aren't anime. Recently, the quality of children's cartoons has risen drastically and now we're seeing more and more cartoons that are watchable by adults (and also less judgemental adults watching children's cartoons).
>>
>>9390826
con't

Comic cons - in general, the community isn't as friendly as it used to be. Most people don't go to comic cons because they read comics, they go to meet celebrities from current media that was based on a comic book. Most merchandise is easy to find locally. In my daily life I meet enough people who watch things like Arrow, Flash, Daredevil, Supernatural, Dr Who, etc that I really don't need to go to a convention to meet people who speak my language or watch the same things I do. Most people at these places already have their circle of friends and don't go to cons to socialize.

Anime cons - Since it's a tad more niche than the comic con crowd, you'll see a lot more social people at these. Most people have seen the popular stuff that aired on Cartoon Network, but then you have the stuff most people have never heard of. Fans (especially from smaller yet fanatic fandoms) are dying to talk to someone about their favorite series. Merch is stuff you aren't going to find at walmart or your local comic shop.

Now normally I don't mind seeing off-theme costumes (except for Spidermand and Deadpool, two cosplays knows for trolling) but I do agree that anime characters shouldn't win contests at comicons and western media characters shouldn't win at anime cons.
>>
I've noticed every girl into such hobbies claims to suffer from anxiety, BPD, and depression, and tend to be massive flakes, but are incredibly loud on social media.
>>
>>9390365
i wish orphan black had a bigger fandom. everyone i know who watches it hasn't caught up with all the seasons. it has a pretty decent following on tumblr, though, and the following is mostly not retarded.
>>
File: cff.png (65KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
cff.png
65KB, 625x626px
>>9390833
>>
It's fairly hilarious you can smell the bias off each post, and fairly quickly determine which thing the poster doesn't and does like.
Short answer:
They are all garbage.

If you are young and into a fandom, great. You're a reject outsid who has their thing to be obsessed with until you go to college.
If you're not young, you're creepy and weird and everyone knows you're creepy and weird.

So yeah, fandoms: for the young and stupid or the old and autistic.

Fun.
>>
>>9391190
How old is old to you? You go to college at 18
>>
>>9390590
I think that's too high of a compliment. The Berserk PS2 game looks and moves better than Berserk 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7n7_yUKkKg
>>
>>9391190
Fandom has been an older person thing for decades and only recently became a teenager thing, anon. You have to be 18+ to post here btw.
>>
File: Leo_whitefang_ggxrd_artwork.png (494KB, 660x905px) Image search: [Google]
Leo_whitefang_ggxrd_artwork.png
494KB, 660x905px
>>9390402
Ah fuck, ArcSys has such good character designs, hence I'm doing Hazama for Anime Boston. Though my dream is this dude right here. Or Ky at least.
>>
>>9392139
>tfw no one is swole enough to do Leo or Azrael
Feels bad
>>
At 24 I'm having the issue of not being average age for any of my main fandoms. Spent most of a recent con cosplaying Yuri on Ice and LOGH. YoI fandom is mostly teen weebs, but they were all very sweet and positive; I felt like the cool big sis giving costume construction advice and talking about IRL skating (it's not a popular sport here, even most YoI fans have never watched any.) Most fun fandom interactions I've had in a while, even if most people were 6-10 years younger than me. Normal levels of weeb cringe, but strangely enough seems having a canon gay couple lessens the squealing fujoshi quantity.

Half my LOGH interactions (of which there were far, far fewer) were great since no one ever cosplays that series and people were happy to see it and see that a comparatively younger fan is so into it, the other half were absolute dismissive older elitist assholes who kept saying I was only cosplaying it for attention. Friendo, if I was cosplaying for attention do you really think I'd be crossplaying as a modestly-dressed male character from a niche 80s space drama no one else as this con is gonna recognize?

Did Sailor Moon day 3; mostly a fandom of average but slightly nerdy mid-20s women where I live, so not a lot to say. Everyone was pleasant enough aside from a creepy beta orbiter Tuxedo Mask.
>>
>>9390826
Western children's cartoons are the most cancerous fandoms right now, in my opinion.

>age (and associated behaviour and attitude issues) of old school weebs
>cringey Tumblr behaviour a la superwholock
>sjwshit mentality

I guess I'm an active participant in the Ninjago fandom right now (as in, generating content) but my God, some of it is bad. Half of the people in the Tumblr tag are Steven Universe fans, so everything is fusion OCs and trans autistic headcanons and your ship is problematic bawwwwing. It's to be expected given the average age of the fandom, but it would be so nice to be a womanchild in peace.

I compare that to the current Naruto fandom, where everyone are OLDfags and everything is fun and chill. Totally drama-free (at least, the parts I hang out in).

I guess the conclusion here is that if a fandom is currently mostly made up of kids, you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>9392540
there's an sjw contingent for fuckin legos?
>>
>>9392547
Yes. Yes there is.

Autism and Lego go hand in hand after all.
>>
>>9392139
>>9392230
I love ArcSys' buff boys. Bang Shishigami was my main for a long time in BB. He's a good man.
>>
File: whaaat.png (154KB, 438x269px) Image search: [Google]
whaaat.png
154KB, 438x269px
>>9392540
>Ninjago fandom
>>
>>9392540
....Ninjago fandom? Seriously?
>>
>>9389573
>>9389686
I love the designs in both Guilty Gear and Blazblue. But I'd agree you would have a much better chance putting chance putting together a GG group. After all Xrd seems to be going pretty strong and they've been adding new characters.

>>9390383
My friend and I used to cosplay BB together. But Kokonoe was a really handy cosplay since you can put everything into her sleeves.

>>9390395
I saw someone cosplay her at Otakon. It was pretty good cosplay too. I usually always find a few GG cosplays every con I go to.

>>9392139
>>9392230
>>9392636
Same feels, I just want to a see a good Leo. Or any good buff ArcSys boys.
>>
File: speechless.jpg (132KB, 1211x467px) Image search: [Google]
speechless.jpg
132KB, 1211x467px
>>9392540
>Ninjago Fandom

I had to read that twice to make sure it was right the first time
>>
>>9385367
>>9385378
>>9385407
>>9386623
As a homestuck, this is pretty true but mostly happens when there are too many teens for the older members to handle. Like a lot of big fandoms, it attracted a lot of young high strung kids who desperately want belonging and validation who go in a frenzy when they got it. There was a lot of effort to control like like >>9385428 mentioned but it really depended on who was leading it. Some bigger cons on the east coast usually have more controlled meet ups that try to enforce good behavior but I've also seen or witnessed the same shit as >>9385529 which usually has happened at smaller cons or meet ups. There are cons I avoid wearing homestuck even though its usually my comfy costume because the people in the area are the type to take up a large space in a con to have huge orgies of awkward horny teens making out and covering themselves in fake blood while screaming they have ebola.
>>9386887
A web of people lying on top of each other.
>>9387421
I think I actually saw one this past year and I was confused if they just had massive balls or if yaoi paddles are such a relic that people have forgotten.
>>
>>9392668
>>9392906
>>9392999
Is it really that surprising? The show's been around since 2011, and there's the big movie later this year.
>>
>>9393055
Your associated fandom is the most cancerous thing to ever befall cons, just saying.

Literally hitler
>>
>>9393232
Awww, I bet you say that to all the fandoms.
>>
If you're a Persona fan in CA you're treated really well. Sure you got your weeby teens but the community and gatherings in the area are really chill. It also helps that they're usually hosted/assisted by the same guy for at least 4 years.
>>
>>9393134
I mean...I didn't think people actually cared about it though. At least not adults
>>
>>9393232
lmao
>>
File: uxmem.jpg (65KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
uxmem.jpg
65KB, 720x540px
>>9393232
Mhmmm
>>
>>9392540
>Tumblr
>sjwshit mentality
I think I found your problem.
There is a huge difference between "I watch the show and I like it" and "this show is my life and I collect all the merch!" One does get cringey as fuck fast. Little kids are just cringey in general.
>>
>>9393785
>that thumbs up

Gets me every time.

I gotta say, I'll take naziboos heiling over kids slathered in grey paint making out in con hallways and spitting in buckets.
>>
File: tumblr_nrt66uehFd1sqfgmoo1_250.jpg (13KB, 203x224px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrt66uehFd1sqfgmoo1_250.jpg
13KB, 203x224px
MLP, Undertale fandomsare cancer
>>
Is there anyone who genuinely likes SAO that has seen more than 10 anime or isn't a beta?
>>
File: IMG_3725.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3725.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Anyone have any opinion on One Piece fans?

I've always have good experiences.
>>
>>9386761
I don't think it's as bad as it used to be. Most of the people left are just extremely socially awkward, but not usually in a loud and obnoxious way, just in a way that you kind of feel bad for them.
But man, at its peak, that fandom attracted some of the most immature assholes I've ever met. Like holy shit, where did these guys come from?
>>
>>9386853
What if most western media just doesn't interest us?

I've been to my local comic con. While it's really nice to be around a lot of people my own age again, I feel out of place because comics (including all the recent movies), Star Wars, Dr. Who, etc. don't interest me at all.
>>
>>9386904
Plenty of good and interesting anime is still getting made. It's just that it's never as "accessible" as the typical moe, shounen action, and LN adaptation stuff that weebs go crazy over. To find the good stuff, you usually have to step away from what's popular and trending, and most people just don't do that.
>>
>>9394535
Its still there. Pretty much all modern anime can be found through Crunchyroll or Funimation now and you don't even have to pay. You just have to be paying attention to reviews or pocasts to know what's worth watching. Only about 3-4 new anime every season is anything memorable.
>>
>>9386904
>fight the urge to punch someone over not watching anime

I seriously didn't think people like you existed.
>>
>>9394425
The only onepiss fan I knew that went regularly to conventions always cosplayed Doflamingo (badly), smelled like really bad BO, and creeped on every girl within a 10-mile radius.
>>
>>9394418
SAO appeals to emotion more than rational thought. Anyone that regularly plays games would know that the game balance/design of everything in that anime is complete shit. However it's a fun concept. I like it somewhat, if it wasn't for the Fairy Dance arc I'd recommend it to people.

I don't get the extreme hatred people have for this, other than "muh niche anime won't get this much attention". Don't assume I'm in the SAO fandom, Kirito cosplayers annoy me. Painfully obvious self-insert Gary Stu.
>>
>>9394668
>I don't get the extreme hatred people have for this
>Painfully obvious self-insert Gary Stu.
Sounds like you do.
>>
>>9394675
That's not a reason to hate a series, more like a reason to simply not appreciate it.
>>
>>9394668
It's simply what I call this generation's "mainstream punching bag". Every generation has a very popular show they like to rip apart and laugh at. In the 90s and early 2000s, it was Dragonball Z. In the mid 2000s to early 2010s, it was a combination of InuYasha and Naruto, eventually just being Naruto. Now, it's SAO, and I've seen Attack on Titan used as a punching bag sometimes, too.
The reasons are the Gary-Stu MC, the stupid game mechanics, every female character just being a shallow character there to lust after the MC's cock (to the point some people would say it has a strong harem element), and the idea of a virtual-reality MMORPG being done far better elsewhere.
>>
>>9394840
SAO is strange, the fandom doesn't bother me, it's the Kirito fandom itself that bothers me. I don't mind seeing Klein, Asuna or Sinon cosplayers, those characters are actually decent. It's just the Kirito cosplayers.

>Blood Oath Kirito
A Kirito version so shitty even the character hates himself
>Nervegear Kirito
Yes, there are people that walked around cons wearing a Nervegear, somehow they relate to a Gary Stu in a coma
>Beater Kirito
The loner emo version of Kirito that hates everything and everyone hates him
>SAO Kirito
"I just want to carry around two swords"
>GGO Kirito
Trap Kirito "I just want to be a trap with a lightsaber"
>Fairy Kirito
"I just want to be with blue Asuna"

I give some credit to the Ordinal Scale, at least they nerfed Kirito to the point where some people may mistake him for human.
>>
>>9394708
>Series is bad in an obvious way
>Gets popular
>Proves to content creators they can be lazy and shit and still pull in a shit tonne of cash
>we get fifty ripoffs of an already bad series

Also don't get how you don't see that the media someone likes might be indicative of what kind of person they are. Someone who relates to a self insert gary stu is a fucking annoying person.
>>
>>9394894
Kirito is a shitty character, the other characters are okay.

>shit tonne of cash
Yes, it funds the other more risky projects that would otherwise be seen as a bad investment if it wasn't for the SAO money the studio gets. If it wasn't for the mainstream garbage funneling all the money into the anime industry, the industry itself would likely die, since the better stuff only appeals to the niche elitists that rarely spend money.
>>
>>9394944
SAO was made by A-1 Pictures, though. They're basically the McDonald's of anime. They're known for making all anime on the super cheap.

Other than that, you're pretty much right.

I'm so sick of people complaining about how most anime is trash made to appeal to the masses, yet never putting their money where their mouth is and actually buying shows they do like. Unless you're spending money and supporting the anime you love, then you're a part of the problem and not the solution.
>>
>>9395911
I still don't think the wests buying power is really enough to influence anime as a whole. The only real shifts we see these days are that anime is catering more towards women buts that's because of Japan's internal socio economic shift.
>>
>gravity falls fandom
full of shitty aus and edgy 12 year olds
>>
>>9395979
Don't forget more incest denying and/or justification than the Homestuck fandom.
>>
>>9395979
No one should be surprised that a show by Disney that is made for kids attracts kids and immature behavior.

Some of the most batshit fandoms are the ones whose material was created for kids because the majority of fans will either be kids themselves or man/woman-children.
>>
Since I haven't seen anyone mention it
Black Butler has the worst amount of sexual harassers out of any fandom I've seen
Across all ages and characters they just do not understand boundaries
>>
>>9386623
As a Hetalian I agree. I went to a meet up ONCE and then never again. The fandom was so repulsive back in the day. And it's still bad to this day. I saw a Hungary cosplayer and a Prussia cosplayer at a recent con and a few seconds later hetalia fans climbed out of the wall works to harass them. They started begging them to make out for their pictures and wouldn't let them leave. I was considering doing a Hetalia cosplay for nostalgia but not anymore.
>>
>>9395979
So glad I rarely see cosplays from this show. I considered watching it once but the fandom killed that
>>
>>9397627
What do you mean?
>>
I'm in a small fandom, where the quality of it really depends on where you are. It's typically not cosplayed so I don't know how they act in real life, but on tumblr, ironically, is pretty chill. People for the most part joke around in an intelligent way, or add in their insights or interpretations to character development to a scene. Most if not all of the people are not interested in typical tumblr trends so that anythingkin, or everyone is trans shit, or anything like that stays the fuck out.

On facebook groups on the other hand, holy crap. What a waste of space. Nice I guess if I want to look at non-credited fanart if that's your thing, but about 70% of the time people post things like "*characters name* <3 <3" on every thread.You might have one or two people that post anything else. It hurts.
>>
>>9397789
How many Grell cosplayers have you seen forcing themselves on any half decent "sebby Chan desu"? I only know one who isn't a total creep, not to mention how many people prey on underage cosplayers because they are totes a kawaii shota. I stepped back after seeing all of it and havent seen a fandom as weird as it in a long while
>>
>>9395911
I can't think of any studio that didn't have their own version of SAO that pisses many off, like Yuri on Ice and Re:Zero, that they milk for all the money it will bring in.

I think it's a fandom in itself "you like this anime thus you have shit taste", the counterculture elitist snob fandom. I'm fine with admitting I like SAO, I know its flaws, and I couldn't care less what these people say. I think this group does harm to the industry when they do nothing but shit talk about a series simply because it's more popular than what they like.

>>9395922
The west only reinforces what is liked in Japan, otherwise those in the west wouldn't be watching anime to start with. If the west didn't have any influence on the anime industry they wouldn't bother licencing out to other nations. I think Crunchyroll recently passed a million paid subscribers, those watching via other sites or downloading must be substantially higher. There's a lot of money coming in from the west, and any studio would want that. However, Japan is known for not giving a shit about opinions from those outside of Japan, it's probably why anime didn't turn to garbage like western media did over the last 15 years.
>>
>>9400607

> it's probably why anime didn't turn to garbage like western media did over the last 15 years.

TOP LEL

Dude are you even following anime this onslaught of fucking absolute garbage of cute girls doing cute boring shit.
>>
>>9400614
The actual amount of CGDCT anime is greatly exaggerated. There were tons of great shows in 2016. People just weren't paying attention.
>>
>>9400607
Neither of the anime you mentioned get nearly the same backlash that SAO does. The only real reason YoI got any backlash at all was the Crunchyroll anime awards. Before that, it was just another sports anime that fujoshi went crazy over.
>>
>>9400614
I'm talking about the social justice pandering that plagues western media. I'm so tired of uninteresting characters in media that only exist because they fit token demographic. Do you remember many series in the 90s in anime? It still had the same crap, an overwhelming majority of it was fucking boring, very few animes older than 20 years aged well. They just make more of it now because it's easier. I'm just going to assume there are easily more non-cute boring shit made today than anime made all together 20 years ago per season.
>thinking now that there are certain trash series like Asterisk War (thanks A-1) that create characters to fit certain personality tropes with no reason to it

>>9400838
Don't know who you talk to, I see a lot of people saying it's just another hyped up SAO clone. I assume those people never watched past the first 10 minutes of the anime and jumped to that conclusion. Re:Zero is substantially better, but there are those that are allergic to hype, they will always come to the conclusion hype = shit.
>>
>>9400926
I feel like the backlash against YoI and Re:Zero is temporary until new shows air and get hyped.

SAO backlash has been going for years now and shows no sign of stopping.
>>
>>9389492
I think at most Link just might be gay or metrosexual. I know I am, and I would love to dress and look like him.
>>
Homestuck
>Cancer

AOT/SNK
>Also Cancer

Any kid's show in existence... (MLP, etc...)
>Probably half the fandom is 40+ year old male virgins jerking off to overgrown circle tool bellies

Zelda fandom rn
>Link as a trap and Shark hunkster Sidon lol
>>
>>9389492
>looking at the homestuck trolls again
same but also dont forget the undertale fans now, theyre the new homestuck cringe
>>
>>9403784
This is true, but Sans cosplayers make up the majority of the bad ones.
>>
>>9403790
at every con i go to there are always sans cosplayers with paper skull mask and a light blue jacket with black uncomfortably tight skinny jeans.
>>
>>9403784
nothing more true. my friend likes it wants to cosplay sans I fucking want to die
>>
I only got experience with the MLP fandom and the Homestuck fandom.

MLP is way past its greatness. There are still cosplayers at conventions, but they are disconnected from each other, and being a brony is no longer something people bond over. Most of my brony interaction now is at meetups outside the conventions. And I'm starting to get a bit sick of the fandom.
-Very boring humour
-Little in common with many of them
-Exclusive, not willing to let everyone in
-Can't handle criticism of the show, or anything related to MLP, at all
-Bigoted views. Sexist, racist, lack awareness of trans people
They can still be great, but there are so many irritating things about them

Homestuck is much better. The fandom is dying, but it still has presence at conventions. And unlike the bronies, they actually are connected. People bond over liking Homestuck, and new people meet. It's also filled with amazing people, almost every Homestuck fan is an amazing, extremely kind person. And where the average brony is a little bit bigoted in most ways, Homestuck fans have great views on social justice. They are accepting, but are not SJWs, and can handle triggering content even if they don't like it or spread it. Really caring and friendly people, open to meeting new Homestuck fans. I really adore what remains of this fandom, they are some of my favourite people I know.
Please don't die, fandom.
Many of the complaints people have are invalid or stupid. Yes, we carry a bucket, but we do not throw it at people or use it for sexual purposes. We are aware of the importance of sealing paint, and if we haven't been able to, which is rare, we are very careful about it. Occasionally there may be some honking, but only by single individuals, and we try to remind them there are other people. And literally how is it negative that people are trans?
Homestuck may have been bad a few years ago, I don't know, but the modern fandom is one of the greatest fandoms there are
>>
>>9403899
You forgot the part about MLP fandom constantly using "love and tolerance" as a meme, yet openly encouraging bullying of some of its more socially awkward and possibly disabled members.
>>
>>9403899
Homestuck is the worst

You fucks scream curse words and spit in buckets.
>>
>>9407254
last con u saw that at?
>>
>>9403899
>I only got experience with the MLP fandom and the Homestuck fandom
Well right off the bat, that's one hell of a YIKES.

>Most of my brony interaction now is at meetups outside the conventions
Willingly calling yourself a brony and wanting to interact with other bronies in 2017 sure is something.

>Bigoted views. Sexist, racist, lack awareness of trans people
Ohhh boy. Also amused at how you aren't addressing the bestiality thing, nor the open and widespread pornographic corruption of a children's show, which is the majority of people's issue with bronies.

>almost every Homestuck fan is an amazing, extremely kind person
Must be the alternate universe fandom.

>Homestuck fans have great views on social justice
This is a warning sign for most people to stay away from something, lest they fall into a hellpit of cringe.

>Yes, we carry a bucket, but we do not throw it at people or use it for sexual purposes
Yes you do, yes you do that too, and you also spit in them in public.

>We are aware of the importance of sealing paint, and if we haven't been able to, which is rare, we are very careful about it
Nope.

>Occasionally there may be some honking, but only by single individuals
"Occasioanlly". "Individuals".

>And literally how is it negative that people are trans
Yeah 90% of you aren't trans, you're just edgy kids trying to be nonconformist.

>Homestuck may have been bad a few years ago, I don't know
Oh believe me, it was.

>but the modern fandom is one of the greatest fandoms there are
No.

You sound like you are underage, to be honest. Go home.
>>
>>9403899

As a Brony who's been on the ride since 2011, there's some history that you seem to be missing. There is no lack of awareness of trans people in the community, we don't like the trans community because certain trans people
actively tried to destroy our convention community because they felt that they weren't "accepted enough." Same thing for the LBGT community that tried to push their agenda into the brony community when the community was trying to get rid of the stigma that all bronies were gay pedophiles. Prominent feminists also attacked bronies saying that they were invading a safe space intended for little girs. So there's a bit of bias from the people who've been in the community for a while.

>Little in common with many of them
DYEWTS? The Mane 6 have very little in common. You have failed at friendship lessons.

>Can't handle criticism of the show, or anything related to MLP, at all
I haven't met a brony who thought the episode PPOV was actually good.

>Exclusive, not willing to let everyone in
OK, this has to be your local community, because mine has some very cringeworthy people that may be mentally disabled.
>>
>>9404055
>>9407254
>>9407585
>>9407644
I was only talking locally, not about rumors online or what I heard happened somewhere else. My real life experiences.

>>9407254
>>9407585
To be honest I was including bucket spitting in sexual, because it is in a Homestuck setting. But it doesn't happen.

>>9407585
Most bronies don't talk about clopping in real life, at least not positively. And to be honest I don't think it's a problem. Everything has porn, and bronies actually try to hide it.

Homestuck fans don't usually discuss social justice, if that's what you worry about. But they don't throw around transphobic statements at random either, like bronies do.

>the Homestuck fandom has more trans people than average
>that means they must be fake!
Nope.
It is interesting that so many people in the fandom are trans, but that doesn't mean they are lying. The fandom simply isn't a representation of the average of the population. This is the case for cosplay as a whole too, you know.

>>9407644
Everything is about my local community. I am just talking about average opinion, and only what they say in real life (on Facebook, they range from toxic feminist to white supremacist), some will call out the lack of trans awareness at times. There are other things too, though, not only these three issues sexism, racism and transphobia.

When it comes to little in common, I just don't find lame puns funny, or talking about war equipment interesting. Bronies can be so boring. Homestucks also make puns, but they don't make a big deal out of every pun before they say it, so it's funnier and less annoying.

Saying you prefer other episodes may be okay, but try saying anything about the direction as a whole, they get so triggered.

It's mostly me they try to exclude, and maybe one other person now that I think about it. I get so jealous when they are friends but avoid me unless there are real meetups.
>>
>>9407738
I'm going to go out on a limb here but it sounds like your trans and make a big deal out of it. Then you get upset when people don't treat you like the special snowflake you see yourself as.

What the actual fuck does trans awareness have to do with the brony fandom in the first place? Why should it ever be brought up at mlp facebook groups or local meetups?

>the direction as a whole
Are you one of those people that got triggered over Princess Twilight? You sound too new for that. Is it Starlight Glimmer that triggered you? Oh wait, it was probably the transphobic episode where Big Mac cross dressed.

>I get so jealous when they are friends but avoid me unless there are real meetups.
Welcome to society. People are not required to be your friend even if you go to meetups. When I was in my anime club in college, there was a person that hosted parties on the weekend, but we weren't supposed to talk about those at the anime club because there were people there he didn't want in his house. This is the difference between private and public events. Best thing I can say is try to be a person worth hanging out with.
>>
File: 1466543429911.png (121KB, 335x335px) Image search: [Google]
1466543429911.png
121KB, 335x335px
>>9407928
>transphobic episode where Big Mac cross dressed.
What the fuck? Not that anon, but what the fuck have I missed since S3?
>>
>>9407956
Applejack couldn't be at the Sisterhooves Social so Big Mac Dressed like a woman so he could compete with Applebloom. Trans people proceeded to attack the writer on twitter for this trope being "transphobic" because they're a bunch of drama queens.
>>
>>9407928
It has nothing to do with being trans. And I'm not asking for trans awareness, it was just an attempt at using a less strong word than transphobic, because that sounds too strong.
An example of what I'm talking about, they were joking about men being pregnant, as if that was something completely impossible and unthinkable. When there are plenty of men who are pregnant. I just had to leave the room for a moment. It does not trigger me or anything, but these things can be a bit upsetting.

Princess Twilight is triggering, yes. Starlight Glimmer may suck, but is not triggering. I dislike that the worldbuilding is just getting worse, it's just becoming America with ponies. It used to be more unique. And the changeling changes sucked really bad, and may have triggered me a bit, but at this point I care less than I used to.

The transphobic episode where Big Mac crosssresses is also a bit triggering, I hate the idea, but has little to do with the overall direction of the show except maybe that the person in charge no longer is a feminist. But yeah, I never felt a need to discuss this, I'm just angry in silence. And the show has always been a bit "problematic", from season 1.

It just really sucks to be unwanted. I'm unwanted everywhere, and it feels lonely.

>>9407956
There was also a case of blatant fat shaming, where a pony being fat and stupid was literally the whole joke.
>>
>>9407973
Bruh. Its a childrens show about talking technicolor ponies with magic powers.
Its not that deep.
You need to step away from tumblr for a while
>>
>>9407963
The thought of being a brony absolutely makes me cringe and I stay away from MLP. However, when "(this topic) offends special snowflakes and drama queens" it's a fucking endorsement. All they do is REEEE at the most entertaining stuff, I want comedy the way was in 80s/90s again. I want to watch this shit now, I hate SJWs and I'm indifferent towards the brony community. I just might start watching MLP just to have talking points to use against the Homestuck idiots.
>>
File: 1488328609369.png (356KB, 600x681px) Image search: [Google]
1488328609369.png
356KB, 600x681px
>>9407973
>hen there are plenty of men who are pregnant. I just had to leave the room for a moment. It does not trigger me or anything, but these things can be a bit upsetting.

I'm a transman and you I make jokes about this. Don't fucking whiteknight for me because ~~~TRANS OPPRESSION~~~. You seem like the kind of person who is so miserable and insecure that you try to fight for other people who don't need it. I'm not a brony, but god damn, you need to grow up and realize that some people who make '''''transphobic'''' jokes are trans themselves, because it's hilarious. Get off of tumblr and come live in the real world. Yes some people are hurt because they are the way they are, but I don't like being screamed at for being an uncle tom because I hate trans headcanons for literally every character ever. This is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It is constant suffering, knowing I will never be happy with myself. But I live through it.
>>
>>9407973
Maybe the reason that you are not invited by things that they have nothing in common with them? I mean, look at your posts. I haven't seen anything more genuinely stereotypically tumblr on here for a while. What you personally care about, and what you talk about, would be irritating to people that don't care about fat-shaming or any of that crap, and there are too many examples of your type of people that if they say the wrong thing around, you go off in the deep end and bitch about it either online or offline. People want to hang around other people that they feel comfortable with. That doesn't mean that they are ~phobic shitbags either par say, but your average person cares, but also doesn't care.

I think>>9407928 is absolutely right and it seems like to you, being trans is a huge deal and should be to everyone else too, to the point that we need to shoehorn it in, and make triple sure we don't offend them in any way. Joking about men being pregnant, or a joke about crossdressing for example is really not a big deal anon.

You honestly sound young. Fandoms are a great way to meet people, but jesus, don't think that is the only way to make friends.
>>
File: 1488706512278.jpg (75KB, 1300x860px) Image search: [Google]
1488706512278.jpg
75KB, 1300x860px
>>9407973
>>
>>9404055
I'm talking about local, too. A lot of bullying happened when the fandom was at its height. Now, people have left just because they don't want to be seen in public with people who have disabilities. Good fucking riddance.
>>
>>9407973
>blatant fat shaming

I hate this meme.
>>
Does anyone remember when "trigger" actually meant something, like someone having a legit panic attack from seeing someone who looked like their abusive asshole father?

Tumblr has turned it into a word for being offended by an opinion that is different than theirs and that may challenge them to think about their deeply held values.

And people wonder why there are so many people who think tumblr is fucking disgusting.
>>
>>9407738
>clopping isn't a problem
Masturbating to ponies from a children's cartoon, who are generally coded as being underage at that, is fucked up.

>even bronies avoid you
I'm not surprised, you seem annoying as shit.
>>
>>9408084
I was sexually assaulted when I was 16, and I said that people touching me triggered that, and got told to shut up about my 'tumblr problems' and 'welcome to the real world'

I was diagnosed with PTSD and now I see people pretending to have it to be cool. Like, I don't act like my suffering was worse than anyones, but you can't '''rape''' someone by looking at them, like they say. I know. Because I was fucking raped. Really activates my fucking almonds, tumblr does.
>>
>>9408086
So masturbating to anime porn is fucked up too, right? Most anime characters who people are fapping to elsewhere on 4chan as we type are 12-17 years old.
>>
>>9407973
>I'm unwanted everywhere
Brutal honesty hour here anon, you sound like someone I would absolutely avoid IRL, and I'm wholly unsurprised other people actively avoid you too.

Take a look at your personality and the way you speak to/interact with other people. Ask yourself, why do people not like me? How do people that others want to be around speak and act, and how are you different?

You can't force people to like you or be around you. If your attitude is just "well they should like me for who I ammmmmm and be inclusive!!", be prepared to be lonely for the rest of your life.
>>
>>9408089
Yeah, no shit. People avoid that kind of otaku for a reason. But at least it ain't bestiality.
>>
>>9408088
Tumblr doesn't give a shit about the communities they claim to. They're just exploiting them to get positive attention, to feel like they are part of a group, to bully people in way that they feel gives them some sort of moral high ground, and to give their shallow selves some illusion of unique identity.
>>
>>9408094
By "that kind of otaku" you mean... most otaku.

Considering that the most common otaku fetishes are incest and rape, they aren't far from bronies at all.

Fapping to underage characters is always going to be a thing in any fandom full of people who physically or emotionally 12-16 themselves.
>>
>>9408102
Which is fucked up, and cringey, and is gonna make most people avoid you like the plague.

... so when someone complains that even bronies won't hang out with them, you know they're cancer.
>>
>>9408104
It could also mean that the brony community in their area is just full of assholes, too.
>>
>>9408110
When everyone excludes a certain person, the problem is not usually everyone but the person themself.
>>
>>9408114
OT here, that's what I always thought about some cases of bullying. I'm don't endorsing bullying by any means and there are plenty of cases were it is unwarrented, but I've heard of kids that move from one school where everyone hates them to a new school and everyone hates them, and you really gotta wonder.

I swear certain fandoms gather up these kids like a fat kid to cake, and I'm pretty sure that is the case here with homestuck-and-MLPchan here and those fandoms, and apparently even that is not working out.
>>
>>9408121
Ugh I meant either "don't endorse" or "not endorsing." Had a in-text are you fucking sorry moment
>>
>>9408121
Bullying isn't ever warranted. If someone's around and you don't like them, tell them to leave and be blunt about it. If they don't, find somewhere else to hang out and don't let them follow you.
>>
>>9408121
In my experience, there's two types of people who get consistently bullied.

The first is the type of person who tries way too hard to fit in with a certain group of people, despite clearly not fitting in. That group of people get annoyed at this person always hanging around, because surprise, people don't like being around people they don't mesh with, and take steps to exclude or discourage them from being around. Can be avoided if the person in question finds friends they do fit in with.

The second is the type of person that is genuinely very unpleasant to be around in general. Examples include bad hygiene, inappropriate actions and topics of conversation, constantly talking about subjects no one else cares about, consistently misreading social signals, demanding other people change and cater specifically to their needs, demanding/bossy demeanor, too aggressive and confrontational toward others, endemic backstabber, etc. Generally requires a drastic personality change for the person in question to be accepted. Depending on age and other factors like degree of neurodivergence, other children may be forced by adults to interact with the person in question, but you can bet your ass they resent every second of it.
>>
>>9408136
>If someone's around and you don't like them, tell them to leave and be blunt about it. If they don't, find somewhere else to hang out and don't let them follow you

A lot of people would describe that as bullying anon, particularly if they're the type of person where this happens a lot to them.

Also, a lot of people are too polite to be so blunt. They would rather be pleasant when forced to interact in person, and then avoid being around that person where they can (not inviting them to social events, declining invitations to hang out, etc)
>>
>>9408142
How about quiet children who don't talk to anyone and still get bullied?
>>
>>9408136
To some people, this counts as bullying (it really does, I've seen "purposefully leaving someone out long term" included as bullying), so I included that type of stuff in my initial umbrella term, but my mistake of not being more clear on that. Obviously the actual deep end bullying is terrible, full stop. Bullying will never "end", because it's hard to pin-point exactly for everyone to agree on where normal interaction of people you don't like and bullying begins.

>>9408142
Yeah I was mostly referring to the second group, which you explained quite well; the first group is wrong place, wrong time, though in same cases a kid is in both categories.
>>
>>9408145
In the cases being discussed here, being blunt is necessary because people in fandom are often the kind of people who can't read social cues well.
There is a difference between being blunt and being an asshole.
>>
>>9408148
Define 'bullied'. If it's things like never being invited to social events, it's probably because no one really knows the person. Maybe they're seen as snobby or stand-offish. Maybe they did something in the past that people are wary of.

If it's stuff like name-calling or physical bullying, especially if the quiet kid is smart, it's probably tall poppy syndrome, in which case the bullies themselves are generally not that well-liked or socially adjusted either.
>>
>>9408152
But they're often overly sensitive when criticized as well. Telling them you don't like them is likely to result in angry phonecalls from parents, conferences with teachers, and emotional call-out posts on Tumblr.
>>
>>9387526
You are an inspiration
>>
>>9408084
God, as someone who has seen actual panic attacks from someone with actual PTSD (my mother, who was sexually abused as a child), I am so fucking sick of every girl on tumblr thinking a panic attack is 'omg someone said something mean that hurt my feelings and now I'm kinda sad, better type like a retard now'. You're not being triggered, dipshit. You are making things worse for people with actual legitimate disorders by crying wolf over every single thing. I used to care about 'social justice' and 'feminism', and I still do, but damn you are making it hard for me to give a fuck.
/rant
Thread posts: 230
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.