[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid jfashion questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

File: chineselolita.jpg (229KB, 728x1092px) Image search: [Google]
chineselolita.jpg
229KB, 728x1092px
For cosplay go to the help thread.

How do you pronounce taobao?
>>
>>9376468
iirc it rhymes with cow.
>>
>>9376468
it's pronounced pretty much how it's spelled.
Táobǎo is the pinyin, if you're worried about correct tones
just don't pronounce it like a dumbass with an american accent and you'll be good
don't listen to >>9376476, you'll sound stupid. the 'a' and 'o' have a more rounded sound, like you're saying "awl" or "aw"
>>
>>9376545
the correct way to pronounce it is taw-baw?
isn't it the same tao as in taoism?
>>
wig anon from the other thread here:

So I've followed tutorials and such on how to wear wigs and how to pin them down... but uhh, I still end up losing the wig.

How do I really stop this shit from happening?
>>
>>9376760
are you wearing a good quality wig cap? maybe the wigs are too big for you?
>>
If a sale is measured flat, does that mean that mean I double the measurements and I know what they are? Like... 34cm+34cm=68cm? I feel like an absolute goddamn buffoon because I can't figure out if that's how it works.
>>
>>9376760
Wig clips are amazing and you can sew them into the lace cap. The look like little combs and hold the front and back in place. You should be using them in unison with bobby pins or your preferred hair clip. I use the little snap clips for bangs and junk to secure both wig and wig cap. I've never lost a wig this way, and practice makes perfect.
>>
>>9376781
It often does, but some people already double them. So you just have to use some common sense and previous knowledge of the brands sizing.
>>
>>9376803
Okay, thanks! I thought that's what it meant, but it just wasn't... processing in my brain I guess?
>>
>>9376754
it is. but taoism is definitely not pronounced like "cow", considering it's a chinese word and not an english word.
"aw"/"awl" as in "ah-w". It "cow" were to be pronounced like "tao" is, it would be "cah-w" (-ao is pronounced with a round mouth). Imagine "awl" but minus the "l" and add a "t" the beginning"
Unless you actually speak chinese, it's sort of hard to describe chinese pronunciation...
>>
>>9376545
>>9377056
Thank you. I find it a bit hard still because I don't know how you pronounce awl but I used to pronounce the a and o separately, like ta-oh ba-oh
>>
>>9376799
Oh my god, you are a life saver anon!

>>9376763
I'll look more into the wig cap thing because back when I first started, I was continuously being told just get a cheap one. Clearly I need better. Along with wig clips.
>>
>>9377056
Can you tell me what (English) accent you speak with? I've heard the Chinese "ao" sound, and the sound in "cow" sounds like the closest English approximation to me.
>>
Are Usakumya and Kumakumya male or female?
>>
>>9377265
I've seen Usakumya refereed to as male in english shop posts.
>>
>>9377265
In a childrens book which has recently been published by the brand along with a usakumya keyholder, usakumya is referred to as a girl while kumyakumya is referred to as a male
>>
>>9377265

afaik I've only heard of one version officially named as "Boy" Usakumya. It's black with red bows, but otherwise not very different from regular Usakumya/kumakumya.

I don't see why they can't be a race on their own, though. Like ewoks. You buy one and you get to decide if it's a girl, a frilly boy, or a crossdressing boy (since Baby has made lolita skirts for the kumyas but not ouji pants (yet)). Or maybe a genderfluid, whatever you want to do with your zippered pile of fur.
>>
>>9377515
Despite owning this childrens book, I like to see my usakumya as a male who's dressing lolita. Idk I just think he looks more like a he

In the end I think it's up to you how or if you'd like to gender them. No one will kill you for it
>>
File: barbie-moschino-1-z[1].jpg (48KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
barbie-moschino-1-z[1].jpg
48KB, 400x600px
I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to clothes, I just want someone to hold my hand and help me look like a goddamn barbie. anyone want to be my jfashion teacher?
Larme looks neat
>>
>>9377138
I speak in english without any noticeable accent (american born chinese). If you think "cow" is the closest approximation to "tao"'s pronunciation, you obviously do not speak chinese

I would say "awl" or "ahh" (like a breath of relief sound lol) is the closest since "cow" is \ˈkau̇\ but "awl" is \ˈȯl\. chinese and english do not work the same, sorry it is hard to explain
>>
>>9377597
Even as far as spoonfeeding goes I'm going to say you probably wont find anybody to do that. Although usually some itas get super excited trying to help someone get into jfash but the result is not great.. I recommend you just start of as the rest of us, lurk and read a lot about the fashions and where to buy. Ask anon questions about specific larme things rather than "help me become this". In my experience many lolitas were not into fashion at all before finding this style but over time blossomed. Good luck on your jfash journey.
>>
I ordered something from lusten flavor's rakuten page but i chose to pay by credit card instead of paypal. Is that going to be a problem? Will they invoice me a paypal eventually? how long do they usually take?
>>
>>9377743
werent Lolita-senpais a thing way back when?
>>
>>9378172
yes, if only there was a larme livejournal community
>>
>>9378176
if only people still used livejournal
>>
>>9378872
There are various active communities on livejournal
>>
So there might be no solution to this, but does anyone have some marvellous trick for hiding puffy sleeves under cardigans and the like? I have a few blouses which have really cute collars and I'd love to layer stuff on top of them, but every time I just get buff upper-arms thanks to the godforsaken puff sleeves. They're not even extreme, but it's enough to look silly. What do?
>>
Where the fuck does everyone get those lace cross tights/stocking? You know the ones
>>
>>9378172

The anon you answered laid things out for you:
>itas super excited to help
>result not great

The loli mentor comm died a faster death than livejournal, you actually had a higher chance of ending up with a clueless newbie looking to power trip over other clueless newbies, because the better-dressed lolitas had better things to do with their time than handhold some dumbass.

For the same reason, I'd advise you blaze your own trail through Larme. The fashion's a bare handful of years old anyway, you don't have to catch up on as much as lolita.
>>
>>9377138
actually this is probably my bad. i'm from the U.S. as well, but I come from the deep south, and the way that we pronounce 'cow' is probably different from the way that you're used to hearing it. i was trying to think of a simple way to explain the phonetic sound and that was my go-to.
>>
>>9378888
taobao. or you can find ones on even ebay or aliexpress these days. just search like 'lolita lace' in legwear and trawl through a few pages.
>>
anyone have a guide on mori girl style layering/color coordination? I've seen that one scanlation but I other than that, I haven't seen many other resources on how to mori girl.
>>
>>9378888
Are you talking about BtSSB's lacy lace up sock replicas? mufish makes them.
>>
>>9378885
Some brands have cardigans with puffy uppersleeves, that's all I can think of
>>
File: stupid question.jpg (27KB, 443x434px) Image search: [Google]
stupid question.jpg
27KB, 443x434px
i know this is really silly but
how would i hide the headband/center of these horns?
do i have to pin my wig over the top or is my best bet sticking flowers on the top?
>>
>>9380036
Depends on the style of the wig/outfit I guess! How were you thinking of using it in a outfit?
>>
Does anyone have suggestions of wig brands that do good clip in ponytails? The only ones I've seen are too cosplay like
>>
>>9377718
Chinese living in Europe here, I don't see the problem with cow? They sound similar enough to me. Unless where you live has a different way of pronouncing the ow sound?
>>
>>9382887
I actually like my Bodyline ones.
>>
>>9380036
I mean, if you're making them by hand you attach screws on the headband and a bit into the horns and you put the headband under the wig and then screw the horns ontop.
If you're using that exact one, personally I'd hot knife cut it off and then do the screw thing. :)
>>
>>9382901
I don't know how that smiley got there...
Confused sage.
>>
can someone spoonfeed me a place to get solid colour headbows for sweet/ott sweet era? im surprised at how little indie brands make basic stock items like these - just headbows in basic colours without print
>>
>>9383092
You can't go wrong with AP. There are plenty of nice solid color headbows to be found secondhand. BTSSB's large bows can be good too but they're usually associated with older eras than what you're going for.
>>
>>9383126
so far the only ones ive found second hand have rust damage - ill keep looking on the fb sales i guess!
>>
>>9383227
>buying from the western market
Anon please love yourself
>>
>>9383236
>tfw canadian anon
>tfw if i can find something in my country i wont have to cry about our shitty dollar
>>
Accidentally stumbled across this while looking for a specific Taobao store with a similar name. 10/10 would wear that OP if it wasn't dollfie sized. Is it based off any actual lolita dresses? The store just called it 'Alice College OP' which didn't bring back any results
>>
On the subject of pronouncing things. How you you pronounce ouji. I keep wanting to say oo-gee or ouija like the spirit board.
>>
>>9385261
Well judging by the brooch on the sweater, it might be based off a Vivienne Westwood dress.
>>
>>9385266
oh-gee
>>
File: TK-2014-08-02-013-003-Harajuku.jpg (362KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
TK-2014-08-02-013-003-Harajuku.jpg
362KB, 1000x1500px
Where the hell do you buy these plastic heart and star hair clips?
>>
>>9386187
ethnic stores or dollar stores, 100 for like $1
people avoid "black stores" a lot but let me tell you, they got a lot of cute shit for cheap
>>
>>9386210
This. People avoid the stores because they feel they will be judged. But you got to swallow your pride and just go in because the people are almost always helpful. I would rather save a dollar then be nervous because my skin color differs then the majority in the shop.
>>
>>9386235
I've found black people love my fashion more than white people do. I actually got offered a job because of my lolita outfits at one, and given free accessories in the other.
>>
>>9386235
>>9386210
What is an example of a "black" store? Like, are these just small shops in your area?
>>
>>9386210
Where do they get them in Japan? Daiso or something?
>>
>>9376468
Ta-o-ba-o, no diphthongs.
>>
>>9386326
diff anon but i think they meant beauty supply stores but not sally's or trade secrets.
>>
>>9383092
Maxicimam
>>
>>9386326
Mainly wig shops and hair salons that specialize in ethnic hair. Wig shops are often run by the black community since many of the black community wear wigs due to their hair being cumbersome. Many choose wigs since it's easier to keep and don't want to go to the salon to have their hair done all the time. When I went to beauty school I always got stuck with the ethnic hair clients since I was up for the challenge and none of the other white girls wanted to do it since it was intimidating. One client really enjoyed me that she came in every three weeks to have me re-do her weave/ change the weave to a new color or texture. Carried her as my client when I finished and now have a lot more ethnic hair clients to work on. But they do say that white girls are intimidated usually by black hair and any thing to do with black ethnicities because they don't understand and are scared to learn about it.
>>
>>9378875
it doesn't matter LJ is way dead, there is no denying otherwise.
>>
>>9386326
Wig/accessory stores or just plain accessory stores.

they're amazing. I get accessories, sometimes find some nice quality wigs for lolita, they usually style it for you right there..
One in my area actually caters to cosplayers as well, and used to sell circle lenses.

I was suprised to find one of the black clothing stores I've been avoiding was actually run by an asian woman who loved gyaru, too bad the place closed down though. Seriously, try it out, I've had nothing but good experiences. if you're racist, suck it up for the good deals
>>
>>9386405
Cool blogpost
>>
>>9377597
if you're rich you can hire a personal shopper
>>
>>9378885
will you be wearing the blouses also without cardis? if so, replace puff sleeves with slim fit cutsew sleeves
>>
>pear shape with big thigh and calves ; v ;
>bought some really cute otk
>try them on
>feel awful for stretching the fabric

Are there any cute otks for people with big calves?

Or am I just a fatty-chan and needs to lose weight
>>
>>9387578
Lose weight.
R.I.P. otks
>>
File: image.jpg (93KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 450x600px
Does anyone know where to get good hime-gyaru wigs like pic related for about $50 or less? Taobao, eBay, or Japanese brands would be good! Any colors too! Every time I find a hime gyaru hair guide the links are outdated and lead to websites or links that don't exist anymore. I tried so many search terms on taobao but had no luck
>>
>>9387578
OTKs may just not flatter you. If you stretch them, I wouldn't feel bad though, you paid for them. Just don't try reselling without stating that they're damaged. If you're "overweight" then maybe consider losing a little, but that's all.
>>
I've fallen in love with an upcoming dress from Sheglit. Problem is, I have never ordered from Japan before, and their site has no translation.

Should I use google translate to try to navigate around the site?
Or would a Shopping Service like Tenso work for this?
>>
>>9377265
I asked Kumiko Uehara this at a con once and she said female.
>>
>>9387624
>>9387632
To clear thing up...
I'm not overweight..., I usually wear size S for dresses and shirts...
M for pants...
158cm 53 to 54kg... (still fat... but not overweight)

They aren't damage per say (as they return to their original state after me trying them on, absolutely no marks not damaged) but... I still feel bad... for stretching while wearing them . _ .? Lolita are expensive...

So I was wondering if OTKs' stretchiness differs from one dress to another? Or should I stick with tights (which are lighter imo)
>>
>>9387659
Atelier Pierrot and I think Wunderwelt sell to overseas
>>
>>9387628
Did you search for Prisila wigs? Also keep in mind that giant hair is because they're using a rat + stacking multiple wigs
>>
>>9383695
anon, lets be real here, all canadian lolitas sell in USD anyway, so take advantage of the slightly stronger yen as apposed to the mega strong usd. It's really not that expensive. Closetchild has a lot of good stuff too.
>>
>>9386187
TOM actually sells these.
>>
>>9388569
Aw shit. I didn't see them before. Thank you so much anon!
>>
Are there any photo editing apps for the phone that doesn't resize the photo after saving?
>>
>>9387659
Just buy it from Wunderwelt, if it's new it should go up on their site.
>>
>>9382900
They were trying to show us pig dogs that Mandarin phonetics are beyond our comprehension. Cool beans you're living in the EU, how is it in comparison?
Cow phonetics for funsies:
"K-ahow" Souff (drawn out ah sound)
"Kow" New England (little bit nasal)
"quao" Midwest (Generic rounded 'ow' spelled as 'ao' to be pronounced softer)
>>
I want to buy some things but avoid replicas/stolen art, what is the best way to make sure something isn't stolen or a replica? I was thinking image searching the item and see if it comes up somewhere else. I don't know brands well enough to be certain sometimes.
>>
>>9391121
If you're thinking about secondhand brand items, usually knowing where the item was originally purchased from will help. For example, if the person says "it's from ebay" that's probably more of a red flag than "I purchased from the AP store in Tokyo".
>>
>>9391121
If you're talking about lolita specifically, check out this blog: http://replicarescue.tumblr.com/ They have a guide on how to recognize Oo Jia's replicas, it could give you some tips on what to look for to tell if an item is a replica or not.
Also, this guide shows what the brands' typical stock pics look like: http://egl.livejournal.com/14483442.html If you need help with recognizing stolen stock pics.
>>
>>9391447
Samefagging to add that the stock photo guide is obviously a bit outdated but it's still helpful.
>>
>>9376468
I've been thinking of moving from other jfash to lolita (mori is dead rip). Is lolita wardrobe any good? How does it compare to just using taobao with taobaoring cost/service-wise?
>>
>>9392677
expensive but easy. on par with MLD and glitzy, really. only use if too tarded to use an ss
>>
>>9388068
Meh I wouldn't worry all that much about it.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.