[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artist Alley General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 42

File: 1473049864228.jpg (189KB, 736x505px) Image search: [Google]
1473049864228.jpg
189KB, 736x505px
Last Thread: >>9358843

>NEW! Frequently Asked Questions
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Taobao/Alibaba services (broken link)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/

San Japan discussion, influx of more AA applicants, crazies/horror stories, and more
>>
>>9370975
Anyone get into Animazement? I was waitlisted
>>
How did San Japan go for ya'll?
>>
>>9371046
Also waitlisted, but I'm going to Momocon already so it wasn't a big deal.
>>
File: IMG_1616.jpg (16KB, 232x260px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1616.jpg
16KB, 232x260px
I'm going to my first con soon mainly for the aa, what are the average prices of prints and those thin booklets filled with an artists's own art, like doujinshis/zines?
>>
Is anyone here going to be at ECCC this weekend?
>>
>>9371435
lol anon, I admire your faith in this girl but she is 100% not being sarcastic, she has gone on tirades before about how she and other Asian artists deserve priority over non-Asian artists for anime con AAs because "anime is Asian made."
>>
>>9371046
I got in. I've never been but I didn't get into Fanime for the first time in a while so I needed a different con to fill up that weekend. They said payment invoices are going out today/tomorrow.

>>9371479
I am! I'm sharing with a friend. I've never been before so I'm a little nervous but hopefully it goes well.
>>
>>9371478
Prints prices vary usually anywhere from $5 up to like $40 from what I've seen.
>>
>ugh why do my parents want to help me at cons god so embarrassing

REEEEEE APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE YOU UNGRATEFUL SHIT

I'm buying my mum a fucking cake because she's willing to help me table at a convention on her birthday, despite my insistence that she doesn't have to spend the day dealing with shitty weebs. these dumb kids with super supportive parents that they think are the most shameful thing ever and try to badmouth them make me so mad.
>>
>>9371622
Have to agree.

First time I broke $1k at a con I told my mom and her response was "Maybe you shouldn't spend so much time on [your art]."
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'll trade for a slightly embarrassing mom any day.
>>
>>9371622
I wish my parents were nice enough to offer their help. I wouldn't trust my dad anywhere near my AA table because he's a judgemental prick.
>>
>>9371622
Same here. My mom is so supportive and goes out of her way to make sure that I make it to shows even though she doesn't have to. They should be grateful they have the help.
>>
>>9371585
Good luck with sales! It's usually a really fun con, but I'm nervous over how the AA was moved to another floor and I'm not entirely sure how it'll affect sales. Regardless, I feel like you and your friend will probably do fine at it.
>>
>>9371622

Yeah. As somebody who got disowned by their parents and kicked out of home at 17, I get really pissed off when I see people getting mad over having parents that care about them and want to support them and be actively involved. Why are people so upset over a little embarrassment when the payoff is having extra help around at your table and having parents who want to be involved in your life?
>>
>>9371622
...part of me wants to look at the parent in question if they managed to raise such a shitty kid, and at the same time I understand that a lot of us go through a period of being little shits even with the best of parents.

Still, being vocal about it on a public forum isn't going to win them any points or favors.
>>
>>9371701
I think it really depends on the parents. Free help is amazing, especially because their parents obviously care about their hobby/business, but we don't know what their parents are like.

I know while I love my dad, I wouldn't want him as a table helper because he does that annoying humble-brag thing and is very blunt/rude which is off-putting when working sales. It could be something like that. You're completely right that they shouldn't be bitching about it online tho, it makes them sound ungrateful in that context.
>>
>>9371721
I mean tho, the response shouldn't be 'how embarrassing' it should be 'aww, that's sweet,' and just not taking them up on it.
>>
>>9371727
Yea definitely, I think they sound immature and bratty. I'm just trying to point out that there might be a reason to refuse their parents' help.
>>
>>9371697

I didn't get disowned but I come from a broken family since my Mom has borderline syndrome and my Dad ran away from the issues. So basically I've been alone and raised by myself and my Mom doesn't take art as a job seriously.

I really wish any of my parents would help me with con things...
>>
Anyone know if there's a discord channel for AA artists? I was thinking of starting one, but didn't want to make one if there was already a channel floating around.
>>
>>9371150
Shit show at first, there was no submit button on the form so it was bumped back an hour. I think something like 300 people submitted applications in the first 5 minutes? Am I remembering correctly? I'm hoping my 30 second form-filling record makes a difference.
>>
>>9371150
Fine. The beginning was fucking weird since there was no submit button, I filled it out three times before checking twitter and seeing the issue.
Submitted during their 2nd run, somehow got mine in 20 seconds before the app was scheduled to open (since i guess they opened it a tad early and i was refreshing like hell.) Heres to hoping.
>>
Is there a way to restore the Taobao/Ali spreadsheet? Digit is the person who made the original document, right? I wanted to see if there were nice pieces for my table display.
>>
>>9372119
I'd definitely be interested in joining one. I know that AANI has talked about making discord channels but I don't think they ever got it made
>>
>>9372428
An aani one would be hell, but I'm totally interested in a gull one.
>>
>>9371150
Garbage. I took my break time at work specifically when apps were set to go up so I could get in. Got finished at the speed of light right when forms went up and, and... broken shitshow. Break time wasted. When apps were finally up for real, I was stuck back at work and didn't manage to submit until 6:31. Wanted to cry I was so mad. Fuck broken FCFS.
>>
>>9372617
>not requesting the day off or to work an earlier shift
They had the date up for months in advance, it may not be practical to take the whole day off and it sounds like you tried with your break, but SJ has had problems in the past with sign ups
>>
>>9372624
>assuming everyone is lucky enough to have a job where they have any control over their hours/shifts or the ability to take an entire day off just for an AA application
That would be great, but it's not reality for a lot of people. I just wish that so many FCFS systems didn't completely fall apart if that's what cons insist on using.
>>
File: discord.png (102KB, 354x352px) Image search: [Google]
discord.png
102KB, 354x352px
>>9372428
>>9372612

I'll go ahead and start a discord. I definitely won't post it in AANI, lol. Probably will invite my AA friends and whatever gull wants to join, and people can invite as they wish. (Might make a rule to only invite people already currently doing AAs/people serious about starting AA to prevent individuals looking for info handouts.)

If you're interested in getting the link to join, shoot me an email. ([email protected])
>>
>>9372701
Have you sent links out yet?
>>
>>9372856
Sent em out just now^^
>>
>>9372857
Really nice channel breakdown and topics, thanks for putting it together!
>>
File: moneycgl.png (1MB, 1202x1404px) Image search: [Google]
moneycgl.png
1MB, 1202x1404px
>>9370975
so i've been lurking and am in the process of attempting to sell stuff at an AA this year. this is how it works, right?
>>
>>9373009
wow this is a really COOl post my man really good post I'm reading it I read it 5 times by now oops I read it 7 now hahaha I can't stop reading your post I want to marry this post now that I think about it really GOOD post I'm just kind of not even sure how to proceed from here ahaha I'm a little nervous sorry
>>
>>9373009
imagine being this boring
>>
>>9373009
I assume for your next trick you'll be making Pikachu charms and all your prints will be 3/4 bust shots.

I mean, it's all guaranteed money, but you're not exactly going to impress your peers with it, which is who you're talking to when you come into this thread.
>>
>>9373009
im proud to have made it into this shitpost
>>
>>9373028
Same
I can't believe this shit still sells as well as it does
>>
>>9373009
im honestly pretty tolerant of generic cutesy shit
except theres that one artist on AA who just draws the exact same fucking chibi and has like literal hundreds of prints that look exactly the same
>>
>>9373049
Now I'm curious which artist you're talking about.
>>
File: moneycgl.png (1MB, 1202x1404px) Image search: [Google]
moneycgl.png
1MB, 1202x1404px
>>9373049
>>9373028
>>9373048
>>9373025
>>9373020
>>9373010
thank you very much for your contribution. sage for update~
>>
>>9373049
>>9373069
Is it that chick who made that Kickstarter which included free chibi drawings for a lifetime?
>>
>>9373049
you mean this girl?
>>
>>9373077
God, I fucking hate her chibis, especially the way she draws the open mouths.
There's also another girl with mediocre chibis, but has 100s of them and I just keep wondering how the fuck she makes sales.
>>
>>9373070
>quoting "it's all guaranteed money"
>now your comic looks like you received good and true advice
gg?
>>
>>9373077
holy shit
>>
>>9373084
yes, i was aware.
thank u, anon~
>>
>>9373091
But now the whole point of your comic - "lolol /cgl/ told me off but I made money despite those naysayers!!" - is completely ruined.

I mean, good for you that you made money, but /cgl/ isn't where you go to hear that generic kawaii uguu things will sell. Obviously they do, it's why people like >>9373077 flourish despite being creatively bankrupt. Generally I come here when I want to get input from my peers and hear the harsh critique that will help me improve and make products that will engage beyond the lowest common denominator.
>>
File: pNVDOXI.jpg (277KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
pNVDOXI.jpg
277KB, 1440x900px
>>9373077
Are the middle ones bookmarks? Cause having them all lined up like that made me think of the disgaea character attack art. Just way more boring.
>>
>>9373077
I've gotten keychains from her before for friends. She makes money because she has so many characters and prices are relatively cheap. Not to mention most people like that ultra cute/kawaii style. I knew my friend would love them even if I wasn't a huge fan
>>
>>9373084
I'm confused. Why waste time lurking here and baiting at all if you're so confident of your money making abilities already?

"I sure showed those cunts over at /cgl/" seems like a waste of time?
>>
>>9373095
this, like it's been mentioned before, cool if you're in AA specifically to make money but I didn't spend years practicing as an artist to churn out uninspired cheap shit for 12 y.os lol

>>9373080
is it the girl who got her own acrylic printing press and is selling them for $3 each or something or is that yet another boring chibi artist
>>
File: overthinking.jpg (12KB, 478x361px) Image search: [Google]
overthinking.jpg
12KB, 478x361px
>>9373095
>anon thinks this is a self narrative
>>
>>9373106
I'm talking about icypanther, another boring chibi artist.
>>
File: il_570xN.1163450261_qn7l.jpg (117KB, 570x469px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.1163450261_qn7l.jpg
117KB, 570x469px
>>9373110
This her art?
>>
>>9373119
Eyup.
I'm assuming she's not the $3 acrylic girl since I don't think there's any acrylic charms on her etsy, but idk.
>>
>>9373108
What is the point of the comic, anon, most of us seem pretty confused by it in general.
>>
>>9373119
It's like the art version of Funko Pop. I don't understand how those are so damn popular either.
>>
>>9373146
I used to work at a store with a huge Funko Pop section. They're mainly bought as impulse buys and as cheap gifts: eye-catching and the right price.
>>
>>9373153
I'm guess it just upsets me that Funko has that many licenses and doesn't produce proper figures with them.
>>
>I don't understand how this person makes money

Did you all forget that most people buying things in AA are 12 - 16 year olds that are using their parent's money? They don't really have standards.
>>
>>9373163
>most people buying things don't really have standards

ftfy
>>
>>9373009
It's hilarious because this is pretty much exactly how this works.
>>
Why are you guys so dense tonight
>>
>>9373257
We're tired and jaded, get it right.
>>
File: 20170228_203726.png (911KB, 1440x1542px) Image search: [Google]
20170228_203726.png
911KB, 1440x1542px
>another delusional one in the AANI trying to get people to pay for their elementary school tier art.
>>
File: 1488329052264.png (2MB, 1200x2036px) Image search: [Google]
1488329052264.png
2MB, 1200x2036px
>>9373070
>>
>>9373009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZn4Nt1ppPw
>>
>>9373309
i hope this addition means more people will reach your conclusion, jesus christ
>>9373316
oui, this thread, my brain.
>>
San Japan acceptances are coming out - who got in?
>>
>>9373707
jesus how did you get their style down so quickly
>>
>>9373909
Is San Japan even worth traveling by plane for? I had only been hearing it's decent if you live locally.
>>
>>9373707
>herpeers

I read that as herpes at first.
>>
>>9373927
I'm from CA and I made $6k last year. Of course profit margins vary on your art so take my experience with a grain of salt. I had friends from CA make less but they seemed to pull in an average of $1.5-2k
>>
>>9373938
May I ask how much stock you take with you? Like, what's the breakdown of different items vs the quantity of each item, only because it's something I've roughly guessed at but haven't heard firm numbers on.

If you don't mind sharing, that is.
>>
does anyone have any recommendations on where to get shirts printed?
>>
>>9373971
Also interested in this question. I've looked around, and c0wc0w seems to be the best option for low MOQ. Alibaba can offer much cheaper prices if you go for 30+ pcs though.
>>
>>9373938
I have no idea how people make this much money at cons. Like even if I sold out of literally everything I brought with me to, there is no way it would get near $6k, since it's impossible to fit that much stuff in 2 suitcases. Is it safe to assume that people who make that kind of profit drive, not fly?
>>
>>9373927
what will they do with the empty tables? it sounds like they just really want people to enter their art contest
>>
>>9374163
No, i fly to every con and I've made upwards of 15k at some cons. If i sold out of EVERYTHING i bring i could probably hit 20.. 25k+ maybe. But it's never possible to predict inventory to demand that precisely. I sell mostly prints and charms.
>>
>>9374163
Are you maybe just underselling your work anon, or not selling high-profit items that take up minimal space?
>>
>>9374170
>>9374171

Unfortunately, my prints sell like shit, so most of my sales come from things that take up a lot more space. I would love to get more people buying prints instead so I could have better profit margins and focus on making art instead of making products, but I think my style just isn't animu enough.
>>
>>9374175
I feel for you anon. I would try and improve on your style to make it more marketable in print form and try and phase out products until your prints are selling well on their own. Then move back to adding products.
>>
>>9373944
It honestly really varies? I do 12+ cons a year so I generally have a ton of stock on hand since I do back to back conventions. For popular prints, I can sell 50+ copies on a given con weekend if it's busy enough. Generally I do 10-15 for less popular prints, 30 for popular ones and I reprint as I need.

I have a huge variety of prints too because I do both comic and anime cons. I have 25+ poster designs alone. 30 or so charm/keychain designs.

>>9374163
I drove to San Japan but I've made similar money at cons I've flown to like Otakon and Megacon. I pay for my helper's plane ticket too so i can take 4 suitcases instead of 2.

>>9374175
My art isn't super anime and I still managed to pull in 3k regularly with just prints before I started doing charms. Whether you have a cartoony style or an anime style doesn't really matter as long as it's executed well.
>>
>>9374163

I fly to most cons and have made up to 7-9k selling mainly prints. I have a very unique style though, so that is my selling point. You gotta stand out from the crowd. For me I have to ship my stuff to the hotel as it is impossible to carry over so many prints. I sell anywhere from 400-600 prints per con.
>>
Wtf is up with these first, year, one day cons wanting $150 for an AA table?
>>
>>9374205
they see what the big boys do and want to join in
>>
What would you classify an Artist Alley Basic Bitch as?
>>
>>9374208
It's fucking ridiculous. I could understand maybe half of that. But it's ridiculous they're trying to charge the rate of well established cons that have been going on for years in the same area.
>>
>>9374163
Don't fly your stuff. For about the price of two checked bags you can FedEx all your shit to whatever city you're visiting. It's even cheaper to ship to a FedEx Office store and pick up your stuff when you arrive. I shipped ~40 lbs of dakimakura and my photo backdrop display from GA>DC for $55. It took two days and was insured for $1000. You can even ship your stuff in suitcases if you need wheels when you pick them up.
>>
>>9374190
Thanks, anon. I have been trying, but it's taking a long time to replace my entire inventory of prints with new ones in a totally different style, so I have to have other stuff in the meantime so I'm still profitable. I’m at the point where people just think my table has art from 2 different artists--one who paints realistic art that people don't like, and one who makes cutesy products that girls like.
>>
>>9374212
see
>>9373070
>>
>>9374218

I tried this once via ups paying extra for guaranteed delivery time, and it didn't arrive and left me totally fucked for a con missing most of my inventory. If Fedex is more reliable, I might try again some day, but man that left me traumatized enough to never want to ship inventory again.
>>
>>9374218
Flying stock is best suited if you have free checked bags. My boss used to fly us Southwest so we could pack 50 pounds of stuff in a 16x16x18" box. Three boxes of that saved a lot of shipping. If we needed more or weren't doing southwest it was shipped out at least a week in advance.
>>
>>9374241
Ah yeah I'd probably reconsider if I could fly southwest from here, but my airport doesn't have them (yet).
>>
>>9374234

This happened to me too for AX last year. You need to make sure to leave extra room for fuck ups and not have your stuff arrive a day before you do, I learnt that the hard way.
>>
>>9374193
Style absolutely matters. So many people go for a simplified, cute, anime style because it sells. Not saying other styles don't sell, but some styles are more of a guarantee for sales than others.
>>
>>9374205
only out to scam the aa community imho. Question them: so what guests are they bringing in? What events do they have lined up? Why so much for a table for a limited time vs. established cons with an expected attendance number..
If all they see is how many aa tables they can profit - start informing other aa to boycott those greedy a-holes.
>>
>>9374253
What I was trying to say was that anime vs cartoony re: style isn't that big of a deal. You can do none anime cutesy shit and it'd sell just as well. It's a matter of how well you can execute said style. I disagree that anime style automatically means you are likely to make more money. Your execution, subject, and presentation all affect your sales just as much.
>>
>>9374266
The two cons I've noticed. Ronin Expo is being held in Little Tokyo, no announced guests at all, and the AA is being held outside.

The other is a first year Comic Con Revolution. That at LEAST has actual industry guest but is at the ontario convention center.
>>
>>9373925
there's a reason for that.
>>9373932
>cgl has herpers
>>
>>9374221
I feel this anon. About two years ago I got my first AA table 2 months before the con, it was anime expo. I spent those two months drawing nonstop and made about 25 shoddy quality prints to display. Ever since then I've been slowly working to replace those prints, but between a 6 class semester and a part time job, its been a dreadfully slow chug to get things done that meet my current standards. That, and no motivation quite matches the adrenaline rush for a 2-month prep time to draw EVERYTHING for a 100k attendee con.
Conversely though, I'm working to replace my anime style prints with realistic prints. My realistic prints have always sold much better.
>>
>>9373909

Isn't it just first round acceptances? I'm gonna be pissed if I didn't get in even if only because of how screwy their sign ups were this year.
>>
>>9374313
Their first round was their only round, apparently. I thought theyd have a second round b/c of how they phrased it, but according to their twitter that is not the case.
>>
File: nope.png (348KB, 452x727px) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
348KB, 452x727px
Anyone else see this?
>>
>>9374320
its aani. nothing shocks me any more.
>>
>>9374316
I think their "second batch" of emails will be the rejection. They should have phrased it better, but yeah.
>>
>>9374320
How can it be tagged sfw and nsfw?
>>
>>9374320
my favorite part is where she tagged it with #sfw and #nsfw
>>
>>9373909

I made it! I'm torn because I'm really happy to get to go to a TX con this year, but really wish I had gotten in to Animefest instead.
>>
>>9374323
>>9374316

Whelp, I didn't get in then. Last year was my first year there and I'd have liked to go back but I guess my only way now is the art contests.
>>
>>9374320
>gift to my darling brother
Hm
>>
>>9374327
San Japan is far better than Animefest as far as AA quality and sales go.
>>
File: 1458677431762.png (92KB, 171x278px) Image search: [Google]
1458677431762.png
92KB, 171x278px
>>9373119
>>9373049
Can't believe these things even sell. This is making me want to try getting into AA this year if this is how low the general customer's standards are.
>>
Does anyone know when Akon acceptances are to be sent out?
>>
>>9374320
fucking disgusting
>>
>>9374375
It literally just said in the e-mail that went out today.
>>
>>9374383
?? A-kon didn't send out any e-mail today AFAIK.

But they have said multiple times they'll be announcing results on the 15th.
>>
>>9374375
iirc acceptances go out on March 15th!
>>
>>9374357
everytime i see comments like this i wonder, why are you comparing yourself to the worst examples out there instead of looking at what the artists who make bank are doing? aren't you setting the bar low for yourself? (also because i'm tired of mediocre artists getting into AAs, hah.)
>>
Unless you're at big cons most of the tables are taken by teens with bad teen anime art. It's not really a bad thing if you're past that level and get in. I think it's pretty comfy since some people will get really into your art when everyone else is so lackluster.
>>
San Japan just announced they're dropping FCFS next year
>>
>>9374426
Good question.

I heard from my veteran AA friends that the artist (Tobias Kwan aka tobiee) who did these Bleach prints at AX several years ago made somewhere around 10k off of them that weekend. Literally all he had at his table were these 4 prints. Apparently they were just flying off the table. Probably a combination of fairly distinctive/technically solid work and banking on popularity at its peak.
>>
>>9374460
Maybe I've been doing it all wrong this entire time. I guess that thing they say, people become overwhelmed and can't decide what to get when presented with too high of a variety of choices, has truth to it.

With these statistics, if I reduce my booth to a single Overwatch print next AX, I should break 100k.
>>
>>9374476
I usually avoid tables with print walls unless one very specific print catches my eye. Even then, I kinda just shrug it off and have noticed friends doing the same.

I've always thought displays where you just have this tiny hole for the artist and then tons of prints look ugly, though.
>>
>>9374426
my response to your question would be another question:
what makes you think that it's only great artists making money? It would be great if artistic skill/creativity = profits, but the buying public doesn't really have tastes that discerning.
>>
File: Artist-Alley-Wall-of-Prints.jpg (820KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Artist-Alley-Wall-of-Prints.jpg
820KB, 1800x1200px
>>9374486
>I've always thought displays where you just have this tiny hole for the artist

This is the first image that popped up on goggle when I searched artist alley print wall.
>>
Would a style like this do well at a con? Or should I phase it out?
>>
>>9374512
>pokemon

It'll do fine.
>>
>>9374486
My actual table has a print wall, but I sit in front of it since it's on one of those photo backdrops. I figured it was an okay solution to displaying prints but not seeming like a goblin in the wall.

Though its interesting to hear that opinion, I'm actually someone who prefers to buy from the print wall artists- I suppose its less confrontational, and in AAs I like to just get my merch and bolt since I don't want to start a conversation.
>>
>>9374457
Good. It's a broken system when too many lemmings throw themselves down the pipeline.
>>
>>9374487
i don't think the best artists make the most money but that should be a given? i'm just tired of seeing people take up space in AA when they aren't even breaking even on travel/table costs which is bare minimum. some of the people in AANI talk about this and it sends me into despair, so i thought looking at what sells well is better than what sells, period miiight be a more useful mindset?
>>
File: 23456542313.jpg (108KB, 487x753px) Image search: [Google]
23456542313.jpg
108KB, 487x753px
"WIP"
>>
File: 23456542213.jpg (76KB, 487x369px) Image search: [Google]
23456542213.jpg
76KB, 487x369px
Also a "wip"
>>
This whole San Japan business reminds me of the guy I tabled next to at a FCFS con last year. He only had pictures of colored pencil traced digimon on lined paper that he had scanned in poor quality (probably at home) and pinned up to his booth. He didnt sell a single one, only selling one commission of a "sexy BB8" (which i heard when the customer came back, he told the guy to 'make her boobs bigger' ??? i really wish i looked at it lol)
When the con was over, he talked to me and started telling me how happy he was that people were paying money for his art, and he was definitely going to come back next year.

... That guy was only able to get in /because/ it was a FCFS con. I'm strongly in favor of all FCFS at least having a jury to filter out people like this guy (Even if he didnt suck, his work was all technically very obviously traced and he shouldn't have been there.)
>>
File: 234565466213.jpg (126KB, 487x369px) Image search: [Google]
234565466213.jpg
126KB, 487x369px
And some good old straight up plagiarism.
>>
>>9374544
>not even bothering to align the pinbacks to be straight across
wow who knew art thieves were lazy too, so surprising
>>
>>9374544
I saw this, thought it was a straight up pixel rip with smoothed edges...
>>
>>9374546
>>9374545
I reported it to the admins.

People want to act all high and mighty when teechip steals art and sells it but don't say shit to someone like this.
>>
>>9374545
Not defending the stealing, but my button maker doesn't line up straight either. But I typically put the pinback at an angle, not the art.
>>
>>9374549
Ah really? I was always told to have the art and pinbacks horizontal with the bottom dies to have them align properly. There are a bunch of tutorials for the tecre makers.
>>
File: 234565466513.jpg (106KB, 487x369px) Image search: [Google]
234565466513.jpg
106KB, 487x369px
But seriously does this count as a "wip"?

Saying you are taking photos?

Help me out here, I need answers!
>>
>>9374512
please look for asspats a little less blatantly next time. You should know by the feedback you've received on aani multiple times that these are fine (and also its pokemon)
>>
>>9374558
They're taking product photos of prints???
>>
>>9374545
Kinda reminds me of what happened at Sak'15

>watched a tablemate making buttons for the artist at a speedy pace
>looked so systematic and efficient
>commented "wow you sure are quick"
>"thanks! we're selling so many and only make them on demand"
>friend ordered some buttons, tablemate quickly makes them on the spot
>after we left, we realized all the buttons had the backings upside down

Also after a short time, the buttons rusted like crazy, but what can you do. Not a total loss since it was like $5 for 3 kinda deal. Mostly found it funny and was a bit embarrassed by my assumption that they were putting together the buttons right.
>>
>>9374574
Yeah, some people do that. I think it's a good idea; it presents the image as a tangible piece of merchandise with "concrete" value. Wouldn't consider taking pictures to be WIP though lmao.
>>
File: bookmarkPhoto_alex_original.jpg (218KB, 321x600px) Image search: [Google]
bookmarkPhoto_alex_original.jpg
218KB, 321x600px
I want to make bookmarks of character's that I've ended up loving in novels. Seeings as places like Tumblr has brought readers together, since we can not gush like tweens over fictional people that will probably never see the big or small screen, I wanted to use my talents in some why of fanart. Thing is, I have this rather detailed image in my head of what I want to draw, but now sure how to execute it. Can I ask to share some fancy bookmarks for me? I really hate when bookmarks just have words on them, or a quote from a character. So boring.
>>
>>9374608
Eh, fair enough.
>>
On the topic of WIPW, I really hate when people post pictures of finished shit that arrived in the mail.
>my prints arrived today!
>just got my enamel pins, now i gotta package them~
Or posting finished button art on the template. Just because they haven't been made into buttons yet doesn't mean it's a work in progress, especially if they're not even pressing the buttons themselves because their work is literally done.
>>
>>9374460
>but during that time, AA was so shit, how can you compare what happens 3/4 years ago when artist alley changes every year.
>>
>>9374631
>what's greentextlol

It's just a story, anon, not gospel truth or the One Way of Doing Artist Alley (tm)
>>
File: akonemail.png (36KB, 586x643px) Image search: [Google]
akonemail.png
36KB, 586x643px
>>9374320
>irecognizethatbulge.jpg

>>9374375
>>9374383
>>9374395
They said they were going to e-mail everyone on the 1st of March. There was nothing about it being the acceptance e-mail, however. It's just a checking in e-mail.

Here's a screenshot in case you didn't get it.
>>
>>9374664
Thanks for posting it!
I didnt get the email, which is slightly worrying.
>>
>>9374671
It may have gone to a different folder, like spam or something
>>
>>9374671

I didn't get any e-mail, either.
>>
no email here either
>>
>>9374426
I was just surprised to see artists at this skill level already making bank. I've never been to a con myself and I always thought only the best artists get to have the tables
>>
Can people share some prints that have a SHIT TON of characters in them? Like a fan tribute to EVERYONE, not just the main few in a cast, or a pairing? I've drawn out my idea for a print, but I wanted to jam in all the characters because I just loved them all too much to leave anyone out. Problem is, I'm having a little problem with the composure? Is that the right word? The coloring, in theory, won't be nearly as bad as the good guys (all on the left side) wear red and gold and all the bad guys (all on the right side) wear white and blue.

Kinda like this >>9374512, but with people. I feel like stacking creatures on top of/next to each other is a little easier since you can play with aspects of wings filling in a corner here, or a rail filling the empty space there. Or making something huge or tiny to give everything a nice balance.
>>
File: 56145854_p0.png (1MB, 1000x870px) Image search: [Google]
56145854_p0.png
1MB, 1000x870px
>>9374686
"Composition" would be the word you're looking for. Close!
>>
>>9374686
How the fuck are you even making art without at least knowing the word "composition"?
>>
File: paint.jpg (126KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
paint.jpg
126KB, 450x253px
>>9374716

I dunno. How is this guy painting murals with his feet? Guess he just does.
>>
>>9371150
I have no idea, anon. I must have filled in the form 3x using different browsers trying to figure out why there is no submit Button at the last page. Then, I finally took a look at the source code and it seems to submit after you hit the check box. If I did manage to get my application in, it would be the first time I submitted. Super feels bad, man.
>>
>>9374686
I've seen a couple of artists attempt that sort of a print before at cons but it almost always looks to cluttered. From what you've described, I'd honestly just do two prints - a good guys one and a bad guys one. So that way there's uniformity to the color scheme and doesn't try to cram too many characters into a single print. Not to mention if people like the fandom, they'll likely buy both prints as a set (you can have them facing each other maybe?) which would net you more profit.
>>
>>9374719
Oh man. I have bad news my guy. I assume you weren't checking on twitter, they were giving updates on the FCFS form on their twit- They moved the app submission time an hour forward and started over. Sorry, anon.
>>
>>9374719
You do know they reopened the sign ups an hour after the original time because of that submit button problem right? If you didn't submit thr second time around, they didn't get your app.
>>
For anyone that has ordered recently from Vograce, can you post up some charms that you've ordered from them and the original file comparisons?
I've ordered some charms from them 6 months ago but my colors seemed a bit saturated compared to my original files, I'm not sure if it's just my color palette that didn't work with their printer or if this is a normal for vograce.
>>
>>9374726
Maybe if you post up comparison picturs first.
>>
File: 1450711372623.png (599KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1450711372623.png
599KB, 1024x1024px
>>9374686
>>9374722

What anon said. Maybe don't try to cram ALL the people in, but select 6? Maybe 10? That way you can make them a little bigger and give them a little more detail. I would rather look at 6 of my favorite characters than kinda glance quickly at a cast of 60.
>>
File: file comparison.png (223KB, 904x528px) Image search: [Google]
file comparison.png
223KB, 904x528px
>>9374726
>>9374727
Shit, sorry dropped pic.
>>
>>9374722
I have a set of prints I picked up a long time ago from one of the udon artists that's like that.
>>
File: 20170302_003410.png (2MB, 1440x2071px) Image search: [Google]
20170302_003410.png
2MB, 1440x2071px
Seriously?
>>
>>9374716
there are a lot of great artists out there without a formal art education (although yeah composition is pretty basic)

>>9374686
I really like these two full cast overwatch illustrations.
>>
>>9374740

Not to be uber salty, or nothing, cause this artist is clearly very talented, but I hate this kind of art. I can't see what's going on. My eye scans the page trying to figure out who's leg belongs to who. And again, very nicely drawn, but dang is it boring. If you want to do a big cast print I would recommend something along the lines of this maybe?

Just give all the characters some breathing space, yo!
>>
>>9374686
Some people (like me) really like prints of just a line up of characters.
>>
>>9374754

Oops.
>>
>>9374755
This looks so weirdly unfinished. I guess it's just subjective.
>>
>>9374775
I think it is or looks like it consider some of the characters have shadows and some don't. Also that flat, grey background is awful looking.
>>
>>9374755
Not sure why they chose to backlight all the characters when there's no real dramatic reason to do so. Otherwise, I like lineups as reference but I'd be hard pressed to enjoy it as a print.
>>
>>9373009

Yes.
>>
>>9374618
But how else are we supposed to 'secretly' self-promote on WIPW
>>
>>9374755
>shadows in the first row
>no shadows under the rest of them except for the royal dude
This triggers my autism
>>
Does anyone know how to ask vograce to print a double sided charm (with a different image on both sides)?

Is it possible/how do you word it to them? A friend tried asking them before but they seemed confused, but I swore I saw someone else do it.
>>
>>9375979
just give them the images and they'll ask a question if they're confused. use the most simple english possible pls
>>
>>9375979
You could put them on different layers and label them "front" and "back," or you could label the file names "xxxfront" and "xxxback" and literally just tell them I want xxxfront on the front and xxxback on the back.
As other anon said, use simple english
>>
>>9375979
I always just tell them I want a double sided charm, then name my files 1a.tif, 1b.tif, 2a, 2b, etc.
>>
File: find-yotsuba.jpg (42KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
find-yotsuba.jpg
42KB, 400x300px
how do people feel about prints that are drawn on top of photos? I wanted to do an original series based on photos taken during my trips overseas. Kind of like the Find Yotsuba! artbook
>>
>>9376036

If you took the photos, I think people might still find it lazy, but at least you took the photos so it's harder to fault (especially if you are going for that look like the Yotsuba book). I've inadvertently bought art in AA where the artist literally found a stock photo and then applied a Photoshop filter. That, to me, is more of an issue.
>>
>>9376036
I personally enjoy them. As long as you took the pictures yourself, it should be fine.
>>
>>9376016
>>9376030
Thanks! Kind of silly question but in terms of flipped images, which one is the "front" and which one is the "back"? I don't want one of my images flipped the wrong way, and theres no real guide for this through vograce.
>>
>>9376067
Flip your own image. I send them mirror images labeled front and back.
>>
>>9374460
tobiee is a really good artist though and has a collab project with zemotion? I know he was big on dA back in the day...
>>
>>9376036
I like it
>>
>>9376036
I'd think it was a cool idea. Anything that's different automatically stands out to me since most people just do the same style of prints
>>
File: eh.png (1MB, 970x1500px) Image search: [Google]
eh.png
1MB, 970x1500px
This is the first artwork I've made with the intent to make it an art print. I think it's crud now, but I put a lot of effort into making it.

Would making 5 copies of this be alright just for the sake of having more prints designs? Any artwork I make/ have made is never enough, but I feel like I won't get anywhere if I keep trashing my designs in an attempt to keep myself from getting hurt.

Also, if maybe someone could give critique pertaining to things I did in this that work well together and the less obvious things that I failed to include or stay consistent with.

[spoiler]i know the anatomy and composition is awkward...i wanna know what i did wrong or could've done way better with a bit more knowledge and practice[/spoiler]
>>
>>9376568
excuse my spoiler mistake
>>
There's someone at ECCC that's copying feverworm all the way down to their table display. Took the artist sitting there to realize it wasn't them.
>>
>>9376577
Pics? I want to know who this is.
>>
>>9376568
Really not that bad. Coloring is good but I can really see what you mean about composition; I think it's weird to have the print cut off right at the crotch like that. Also just feels really tight? There isn't a lot to balance it out so she feels like she should be centered more instead of off to the right/so close to the edge of the frame.

I personally hate this ~supa kawaii desu~ style and think it's just really generic but I know people love this shit
>>
File: anonhelp.png (997KB, 1140x900px) Image search: [Google]
anonhelp.png
997KB, 1140x900px
>>9376568
i hope you dont mind me scribbling all over your art, anon.

>rule of thirds
separate your canvas into thirds both vertically and horizontally. try to have the focal points/areas of interest be where the gridlines meet. i've also added a butterfly on the final point to break up the colour of the sand a little, and bring some blue into it.

this also meant the figure was moved up a little, and it cuts her off mid-thigh instead of at her crotch, which looks much less awkward. i also brought her left leg forward, so she has something to hold her up as she looks like shes leaning forwards slightly.
>>
>>9376577
What table number? I might have seen them too.
>>
>>9376577
>feverworm
literally who
>>
>>9376706
A /cgl/ drawfriend
>>
>>9376568
tiny hands
>>
>>9376577
by any chance is it gawki. i know gawki rips feverworms style to an unforgivable extent, i wouldnt be surprised if they did the table too. I dont follow gawki at all tho so idk if they do AAs.
>>
>>9376979
im gonna sound like feverworm here and i don't really care enough to provide proof that i'm not to the inevitable accusations so spare me but man, it is one of the most shameless style rips i have EVER seen. I laugh at the huge amount of 'influences' they list when their style and concepts are almost entirely ripped off feverworm. its fucking sad. id rather be loish with a hundred watered down imitators than have one clone artist like gawki.

sry fever if you do see this, since i know you're tired of the drama about this but it makes my blood boil
>>
>>9376706
>>9376979
Honestly both these styles are so bland and boring, I'm surprised they were accepted into ECCC in the first place.
>>
>>9377024
savage
>>
>>9376994
Its pretty incredible. I didnt even know Gawki was a different artist for like a year until one of my friends mentioned it.
I wonder a lot /why/ Gawki is so fixated on feverworms style, it honestly seems like an unhealthy obsession with fw at this point.
>>9377024
FWs/gawkis art isnt my personal cup of tea, but i dont think its hard to see why either would get accepted to the con. It may not appeal to either of us, but someone else might think its fantastic.
>>
Gawki is a sweetheart but its immediately obvious that she is... very inspired
>>
File: ehgif.gif (2MB, 485x750px) Image search: [Google]
ehgif.gif
2MB, 485x750px
>>9376568
The style is pretty cute. I made an edit to fix some things I noticed.
1. Her skull enlarges quite a bit to the left so I flattened that and rotated the eye next to that slightly as it was tilted.
2. The eye style is very flat and she's a bit crosseyed. I'm not very good at anime eyes but I made a messy attempt at adding some life in there.
3. Her lower body is dragging to the right which makes her stance look unnatural. I tried to make it look like she was standing more upright.

I started an attempt at making the popsicle look more wet or melty but didn't get very far. Also I only noticed you had a spill on her when I was making the gif so I'm not sure if you want that more obvious or not.
>>
>>9376979
I've follow gawki but I have no idea who feverworm even is.
>>
>>9377062
Okay just looked it up and ???? The styles are similar but I can tell the difference pretty easily. Having a similar style doesn't automatically equal STEALING!!1!.
>>
>>9376614
>>9377061
not op, but those edits are great! I like the original, and the edits perfect it. good luck OP.
>>
>>9377068
personally i think gawki has edged far enough away from feverworm's style that they're easy to differentiate, but for a while they looked so similar that i couldn't tell their work apart.

gawki never used to paint like that back when she was on gaia, and then over the course of a few weeks she latched onto feverworm's style pretty hardcore.
>>
>>9376098
Alright, thanks a lot! This goes for clear charms too, correct? I forgot to specify in my original post.
>>
>>9376979
Hi, fever. I thought we established that your style isn't as special as you wish it was a few threads ago.
>>
>>9377092
I'm not feverworm, lol. I'm just another artist who has noticed similarities between their art.
>>
>>9377072
Ah, okay. I only just started following gawki about a year ago so I'm not up to date on all of this.

I just get annoyed with how quickly people say someone is stealing another artist's style. Blatant copying is obvious enough that people will notice. It's honestly pretty difficult to have a totally unique style that nobody else has and there will always be similarities between one person's work and another. I know I'd be pretty pissed if someone accused me of stealing when I'm just doing my own thing/might not even know that other artist.
>>
>>9376594
Great point about balance. I'll keep that in mind!

>>9376614
>try to have the focal points/areas of interest be where the gridlines meet.
I knew about the rule of thirds, but not how to use it properly since I just skim over everything.

The butterfly is a nice touch. I can see what you mean by the color break and it improves the image in a nice way!

>>9377061
Thank you. This is a really helpful edit and along with the tips, help me see what made this awkward.

Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate the time you guys took to make edits and give tips n advice. I'll use them well.
>>
Thoughts? The boost in skills is suspicious, but I'm not convinced by the so-called proof.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NyT08UesedrO8oLEKY83Ny7X9IkHjGgbdsJqWmzA6Ec/edit
>>
>>9377124
(im not the person youre replying to)
I just want to say that your perspective is very understandable. Personally I dont like to jump on calling someone a "style ripper" since so many anime and painting styles have similar traits. Plus, every artist takes inspiration from other artists. Might as well call half of the painters in AA a sakimichan rip.

But in this case, I think its one of the less... Morally... Clear? Situations. Since their styles were nearly identical in the past. I'm glad Gawki has moved their style away from fever's as of recently. Of course, I dont care enough about the entire situation to talk about it outside of cgl.
>>
I love the drama of complaining about other artists, so how come it's only ever centered around feverworm? Let's throw some variety in there. I want to hear about petty grudges and beef.
>>
>>9377128
the art is so generic it looks like someone is just trying to stir drama
their point about different chibi styles is laughable, theres like a dozen adoptable artists who do chibis exactly the same as that one

also why are anime artists who use ':^)' always annoying
>>
>>9377128
I didn't read the whole thing admittedly because this shit is always so petty, but it seems like she just took inspiration for chibis, since there doesn't seem to be many prior on her IG.
>>
>>9376577
Pics? Style is something that's debatable but fever does have a very distinctive table display.
>>
File: 1477968451892.png (387KB, 598x369px) Image search: [Google]
1477968451892.png
387KB, 598x369px
>>9377128
I've read through everything. I don't see any tracing from the proof? Comments were right though, there's a million artworks with the same standing pose so really, this is just another way to attention whore tbqh.

The fact that they personally know each other irl makes it seem like the artist holds a personal grudge against the other and is just nitpicking.
>>
I can't find it in my heart to complain about YOI bags being overdone when they are routinely this beautiful and well put together.

I have ordered fairy lights for my next bag, I dig this trend. It really amps up the extra factor to some next level shit.
>>
>>9377214
And I post in the wrong thread every. Fucking. Time. I'm so sorry.
>>
>>9377214
That itabag looks more thoughtful and less clusterfuck compared to others.
>>
>>9377040
It is actually difficult for me to understand how they got in because ECCC usually chooses industry working american comic artists(Similar to NYCC)
>>
>>9377128
the artist who wrote this up is petty and a giant cunt LMAO like literally who cares it looks like a retarded 12 year old drawing things, whats the big deal
>>
>>9377141
Go to lolcow's /snow/ and find the artist drama thread, there's new discussion on prince-ichi being a scammer
>>
>>9377283
Oh, really? Well in that case, I can understand the confusion. Though I have a friend tabling there rn who is just an indie artist, so perhaps they make some exceptions.
>>
>>9377128
I don't give a shit about the google doc and tracing accusations because it's written so obnoxiously with shit like :'^) But how the fuck does that meii person have 20k followers on insta with such subpar anime garbage.
>>
>>9377283
I've seen Gawki at several big anime cons in the midwest & Texas so she definitely has the experience under her belt.
>>
>>9377341
Doing anime cons=/=industry experience. There's definitely a subset of convention regulars who qualify for more selective comic cons, but if you're doing art that regularly anyway, you're probably also taking on published gigs as well. Cons like ECCC look more at whether you've published stuff, been a part of a book, done covers, etc.
>>
>>9377128
Oh wow apparently I follow the accuser lol. I actually like her art, but DAMN this is petty. Those chibis...lmao it looks like she was trying really hard to find something to attack.
Also I didn't read the whole google doc, but the fact that she wrote it at all is....eek.
>>
>>9377214
Haha at first I thought I was in the wrong thread. I feel you, fellow ita-bagger!
>>
posted this in the help thread, but i think this thread would know better

Anyway, what's the cheapest t-shirt printing cgl is aware of for single quantity shirts? My friends and I wanted to make some fandom related shirts, but there isn't enough of us to do bulk orders or anything like that. i don't care if its screen printing or 3D digital printing, I'm not picky. Is alibaba services trust worthy? Any experiences or opinions would be great. I've used custom ink and art cow in the past, they're just a bit pricy and i wanted to see if there was a cheaper option.
>>
File: Phantom_image.jpg (21KB, 302x239px) Image search: [Google]
Phantom_image.jpg
21KB, 302x239px
Okay, so I'm new to the whole print thing. I've been recommended CatPrint to print with if I have time to get things shipped before convention.
All my drawings are more around a 5x8 and 9x10 size or awkward sizes more suited for stickers or postcards due to how small they are. The art print option on their site only offers larger prints than that, or so it would seem? Does anyone know if they do more document sized prints, or is there another print option?
>>
>>9377214
this is such a cute idea. I can't wait to start my ita bag, all the merch i ordered is finally coming in
>>
>>9377941
Teepublic is pretty cheap and the shirt quality is nice (the heather style ones are super soft). When you first upload the shirt designs, they're ~$12-14 for the first 72 hours. I'm pretty sure it's a few dollars cheaper for the design uploader also.
>>
>>9377946
They do but you're gonna end up paying a lot specially if you do multiple mini prints, so print several designs on one 11x17 or bigger and then cut them up.
>>
>>9377946
>>9378284
yeah, buy a guillotine cutter. if you have any type of art store near you, like a blick's, call and see if they have any. mine was around $40 and has saved me tons on prints.
>>
>>9377946
If you're preparing for your first table you best read all the documents in the OP. they have been live savers to me when I was starting.

You should also put a lot of though into your display and make sure it's appealing to look at and easy to set up. If it's your first time you'll likely spen longer checking in and eating into your set up time.
>>
Does anyone know of any place where one could possibly print custom bracelets like ZOX straps?
>>
>>9378336
I've found a place on Alibaba, but if anyone knows any specific companies i'd love to know.
>>
>>9378291
Libraries will let you use theirs for free sometimes too. I've cut up papers to prep for commissions this way before.
>>
For anyone who has made enamel pins, did you guys actually invest in a pantone matching system book? Are there any other ways to check your colors without dropping $155, I can't see myself using it more than four or five times.
>>
>>9370975

Hey, I have a question I didn't see on the the FAQ's. How much does it cost to rent a booth? I was thinking about selling illuminated signs and such. Not sure of the area that would be needed. Are there different sizes and what's the price range?
>>
>>9379159
price range is wild and you can get a taste of it from the con lists
>>
>>9379144
i just make designs where the colors can be approximate and don't have to be identical. i've seen too many people with the pantone book still have issues getting the colors to come out just right, so it doesn't seem worth it
>>
>>9379194

So I go to the con website and I can find it on there?
>>
>>9379217
Pretty much. Most cons should have the information for booth registration available when you look at the info to register as an exhibitor. But prices vary widely depending on the con, event, days, etc... big cons like SDCC, AX, etc... you're gonna pay quiet a big chunk of money(expect in the thousands) Tiny cons will have way lower rates. Outside of cons. I've paid $25 for a one day holiday fair for a 10x10 space.
>>
>>9379159
http://animecons.com/events/state.shtml/AL012
Just click your state, find a local convention website, go to information/artist alley/vendor tab and look at the price.

They can be any price honestly. The average for an artist alley booth is around $100
>>
>>9379232

Thanks. This should probably be in the OP and/or FAQs.

One more question if you could. I don't really know if I would qualify as "artist alley" or would I be a regular vendor? I would be selling things akin to custom neon signs. Honestly, where do I fall in the vendor genre? Technically it's art, but would that not be considered art? I don't know.
>>
>>9379246
Are you selling licensed official product, or fan made merchandise? If the later, you're fine in the artist alley.

Although it DOES sound like the pricepoint and style of merchandise might do better in the dealer's hall, there's recently been a crack down in several conventions on forcing any kind of fan art into the artist alley and out of dealer's hall, so your mileage will vary on whether that's even an option depending on location.
>>
>>9379250

Interesting. It's not officially licensed product, but custom made signs and stuff that I guess you would classify as "fan art." Thanks a lot, you have been super helpful.

One more question because you're being too helpful.

How can I sell fan made items without being sued? I figured if I made any reproduction of anything even if it is my own art that I would be sued by the company. Does this happen or can they not do this because some rule/law?
>>
>>9379261

There's no way to guarantee you won't get into legal trouble, but at the very minimum, DON'T use any official names, titles, logos, designs on your artwork itself or your display of the artwork. Do some homework and look into Funimation's list of licensed titles and the online spreadsheet listing all of the various takedowns people have experienced (don't have the link on hand but it gets posted on AANI and places all the time).
>>
>>9379293

Thanks again. You've been super helpful.

When I initially read through a lot of /cgl/ the whole cosplay community seemed rather childish, unwelcoming, and even hostile. Your posts have changed my mind on that somewhat. Thanks bro/bra.
>>
Has anyone who got into Fanime heard anything? It's in two months and I still haven't paid or picked my table, when they said that'd be happening in December.
>>
>>9379544
Haven't heard anything but I saw Emily Hu say she's gotten a table and if they allow her in after breaking the rules last year by letting Tim share even though its against the rules, I'm going to flip my shit.
>>
>>9379753
never known any aa care about whether a table is being split, they got enough issues to worry about once a con starts as it is. sounds like someone is just being angry in aa again
>>
>>9379773
I don't think it's a big deal either but at a competitive con like Fanime I can see why it'd bother people.
>>
>>9379773
it's against the rules and if I have to deal with it, they better be enforcing what's in their contract

AA isn't just for fun we make 10k at these things, shut the fuck up about acting like this is petty bullshit
>>
>>9379826
>they better be enforcing what's in their contract
Still so petty
>>
>>9379912
shut the fuck up susan/tim, keep defending your friend thats wrong
>>
>>9379773
Katsucon has rules against table splitting after they've sent out acceptance/rejection emails too. I'm sure it's not that rare for AAs that use juries.

Having an AA use jury selection means they get to curate who sells what at their convention. By having people go around that by table splitting after they reject one artist you're getting rid of the point of juries. I'm east coast so I don't really give a shit, just saying it's not that petty to expect a convention to enforce what's written in their own contract.
>>
>>9379920
We all know Tim lurks these threads too, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was her. If you didn't make it past a jury and the con's rules state that you cannot share with non-juried peeps, tough fucking luck. What Emi did last year was shitty because other people would have shared too if they could have. (inb4 - ur just mad u didn't get in - I actually got into Fanime last year and had a great time.)

Breaking the rules should have consequences. I don't think people need to be banned forever, but I've seen some cons institute 1-2 year bans on artists flagrantly violating rules which seems like a good way to deal with things while still giving people a second chance.
>>
>>9379826
>table splitting is against the rules at Fanime
dafuq, I have a shit ton of friends who are artists that table there, Emily included, and this is actually the first time I've heard of this rule. Hopefully last year was just an honest mistake, since that IS kind of an unusual rule.

>we make 10k at these things
Chill with tossing numbers like this around btw, I am seriously counting the days until most big AAs are changed over to "100% original work only" thanks to people being too noisy with their profits and the dealers hall people getting pissed that we're eating into "their" money.
>>
>>9379957
It's not an unusual rule. It was plainly stated several times on the application as well as repeated several times by the AA staff on all their social media. But keep whiteknighting Emi.

If you want to split a table with someone at Fanime, you have to apply together. You cannot share with someone was was rejected from their jury.
>>
>>9379957
They probably mean it's against the rules if one of the artists wasn't on the initial application and wasn't juried with the artist that actually applied.
>>
>>9379957
There was nothing remotely whiteknight-like in my post, I thought you were saying their rule was that there was no sharing at all, even if you both got in together, and that's what I thought was weird/easy to misunderstand. Calm down with your hateboner, bruh.

>>9379973
Yeah this makes sense.
>>
>>9379974
herp derp meant to quote >>9379972 for that first part.
>>
>>9379920
I'm not those people..dafuq that has to do with the topic - aa rarely enforces rule except the blatant copyright logo's shit I've seen even that gets looked over unless someone squeals like a dying pig to the aa staff to do something about it - and it gets resolved with placing a post-it note over it... whoopee doo di fucking big deal enforced rules cunt.
>>
>>9379928
This. While I probably wouldn't go out of my way to report an offender, as someone who's been denied table sharing at events because of rules like these, it is annoying to see someone sneaking by :/
>>
>>9379944
They didn't even ban the guy flagrantly using official zelda map art on his prints after being reported by people so that staff was aware of it what are the chances of them giving two shits if someone shares a couple print slots with a friend lmao fanime
>>
Can I ask for advice on how people combine their photo backdrops with a sort of table-top extension?

I know people usually buy a second photo backdrop to make the extensions out of but how do you remove the feet of the photo stand?

Thank you
>>
>>9379957
you sound hella salty
>>
Does anyone here fudge the numbers on customs slips for international orders? I had no idea customs fees were a thing at all in the 4 years I've been selling and only recently did a customer complain and chew me out for not warning them. It looks like the actual price of most of my stuff is also at the UK 15 pound threshold and it seems like its harder for customs to track down stuff from our tiny indie stores rather than retail.
>>
>>9380573
>only recently did a customer complain and chew me out for not warning them
Yeah, I refuse to sell to Europeans because of this. I'm not breaking any laws because you don't want to pay extra. They know exactly what they're getting themselves into every time they buy something.
>>
>>9380573
I didn't know about this until recently too, I just mark all my items as $1 for international orders now

it was wild, a 5$ item was customed with $20, i felt so bad
>>
Anyone know when NDK will release their acceptance emails? I'm on the fence of going to NDK. SacAnime, and San Japan
>>
>>9380326
There's a screw holding the vertical bar to the feet on the bottom of the tripod bit. Unscrew that, then slide the vertical bar out of the tripod part. It's really obvious how it's done once you've got it in your hands (or at least it is for mine, which is that $35 one on amazon that many seem to use)
>>
>>9380573
Nah, if they don't want to pay there's nothing I can do about it. If the item gets returned b/c of customs charges I'll refund the item itself but not the shipping charge. Some countries (Finland iirc) require the person picking it up to show their invoice with the matching price on it, so you can actually get in trouble pretty easily in some countries.
>>
>>9380580
:C
We're not all bad. Most of us know we're responsible for customs ourselves. It does put me off buying from the US though, knowing my package might suddenly double in cost.

>>9380573
I've received orders that did it without even telling me. It's not legal but plenty of people do it. I wonder if anyone's ever actually gotten in trouble for it?
>>
>>9380729
it's good that you understand anon, but i have to echo other anon's sentiments about european buyers - i still sell to them, but i get 3-4 messages per month from people in europe asking me why my shipping's so "expensive", and i see european fans vaguetweet about the prices for overseas fanmerch kind of often. it's a bummer desu.
>>
>>9380710
thank you! That's the one I'm planning to get for my expansion so I appreciate the response.
>>
So AX has this line in their packet regarding "pseudo-merchandise" this year that I've never seen before:

A general rule to follow is to avoid using fan art of any type of T-shirts, bags, buttons, stickers, keychains, and like items.

That kind of fucks a lot of people given how big charms and pins are these days, doesn't it?
>>
>>9380681
march 28th i believe?
>>
>>9380884
Sure, but it's something you always have to be prepared for. At the end of the day, we are operating very much legally grey businesses. There will be cons that ask us to tone it down with the merchandise or even to not have merchandise at all, and that's why you always make emergency prints. That sort of policy seems to be getting more and more common now that AAs are getting a little too big for their own good.
>>
File: replica.png (586KB, 689x1000px) Image search: [Google]
replica.png
586KB, 689x1000px
>>9380884
I think they mean items that replicate official merch. Pic related is an example, top ones with the red dots are official items and the two blue dotted ones on the bottom are fan-made.
>>
>>9380906
haha wow, who thought this would be okay to sell?
>>
>>9380421
I'm not, and I'm sort of weirded out that you got "salty" from that post.

>>9380906
This is almost obscene, what the fuck. I get that it's a cute style but that's def bootleg looking as hell.
>>
>>9379826
Did you let the AA staff know? Couldn't they just kick them out of the AA?
>>
>>9380729
>I've received orders that did it without even telling me. It's not legal but plenty of people do it. I wonder if anyone's ever actually gotten in trouble for it?

I imagine that they really don't care about small fry and it's more about people trying to send in big imports that could actually disrupt the economy.
>>
>>9380957
>im not salty!!!
ya you salty hoe, stop taking bait and shut up cunt
>>
>>9381023
I'm sure everyone knows in the back of their minds that every con is a political niche of cliques as an unwritten rule... so by all means - go ahead and make an issue, I'm sure they'll remember you.
>>
>>9381023
I did actually with the pictures Emily Hu herself has taken of her booth with Tim's prints and merchandise on her table. They said they'll be investigating it, however Emily Hu still lists Fanime as a con she'll be tabling at so maybe they did play favorites and just ignored it.
>>
>>9380905
Has it become a more common policy? I'm definitely not saying that it's unfair or anything like that, was just surprised that AX actually took that stance considering how poorly they treat both exhibitors and AA in general.
>>
>>9381083
Good for you anon. I hope Fanime does something about it. Maybe they just banned Tim instead of Emi since Tim was the one that didn't get in?

>>9381130
>>9380884
Not that anon, but comic cons have had that sort of wording in their contracts for years now. It's honestly just there to cover their ass in case companies get angry at them. But I've never once been asked to remove charm/keychains or other non-print merch at cons with that rule. I think someone asked WonderCon to clarify a similar rule last year and they specifically meant that it was meant for bootleg products/art and not fanart/3d goods in general. The wording is a little vague, but I wouldn't worry about it honestly.
>>
>>9381083
Thanks for trying, anon, but Fanime's staff and organization is an unprofessional shitshow, so I have no doubt they play favorites in their "jury" and don't care about enforcing their own rules.
>>
>>9381506
I've heard from people here and there that they definitely play favourites. No proof, unfortunately.
>>
I really want to make washi tape but I have yet to find a good source that isn't from alibaba, can anyone help me out or point me towards a group order?
>>
>>9381773
Jimi does but dunno when they actually open it up for ordering.
>>
>>9381773
theyre opening one on anni group orders. the got a cap though so be speedy when they open it. theyre using a company ive used
>>
>>9381780
>>9381788
Thank you! I'll try to hop on it as soon as it's up!
If I miss it has anyone tried pundy?
https://www.customwashitape.com
>>
>>9381880
Pundy was shit as far as I can remember. They tried them before and a bunch complained about misaligned designs and oversaturated tapes.
>>
>>9379773
I know at least 3 artists at Fanime who would let me split with them if it was allowed. If Fanime's letting one artist break the rules to get in but the rest of us can't just because we're not favorited by staff, I think I'd have a right to be mad.
>>
>>9381767
I think that one MLP furry dude who sleeps at his table is proof enough
>>
>>9381890
same guy as >>9380165
got in again this year so. fanime
>>
File: 3309230_orig.jpg (17KB, 325x360px) Image search: [Google]
3309230_orig.jpg
17KB, 325x360px
Is it worth it to invest in one of these?
>>
>>9381933
Girl it's been worth it since 2006. ABSOLUTELY get your own button machine.
>>
I want to start making lanyards. Any suggestions on where I should look to have them made?
>>
>>9381954
>>
>>9380889
Thanks!
>>
>>9381954
check your local yellow book
>>
>>9381933
yes, i paid mine off in a single con
>>
>>9374539
what is people's obsession with poop
>>
>>9382129
some people just have shitty taste
>>
>>9380906
Yeah I'm noticing a small rise in direct copies of popular licensed goods series.
>>
>>9382226
God, out of my own honor I wouldn't try to sell anything that was directly imitating a specific artist's style. That's like if someone drew something in the style of CHANxCO and tried to sell it.
>>
new thread >>9382434
>>
>>9382161
ba dum tssh.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.