[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cosplaying from series you don't like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: 1460716304314.jpg (50KB, 305x683px) Image search: [Google]
1460716304314.jpg
50KB, 305x683px
What does /cgl/ think about people cosplaying from something they don't like? Is it ever okay?

There's a character I really like from a show I don't and I would love to cosplay them but I'm unsure if I should or if people would look down on me for it.
>>
You wanna cosplay as a love live dontchu

I have been guilty of wanting to do this as well. Honestly, just pretend that you like it or be honest and say that you specifically only liked the character you're cosplaying as from the show. There are some shows where I thought only one character wasn't shit.
>>
Just don't bring up that you don't like the show
>>
Me with Hyperdimension Neptunia. It's so awful but Purple Heart is so cute.
>>
>>9362559
Give it a chance...?

I mean this is only tangentially related cuz I loved Love Live! and before I watched Sunshine!! I decided Ruby was my favourite and I was going to cosplay her and all of the other girls sucked. Then after I watched it I realized that Kanan (whose character design I thought was boring and who I thought was forgettable) was the best girl.
>>
>>9362559
Literally nobody except some hyper-elitist losers on this board who probably don't even cosplay will care. Do what makes you happy fampai.
>>
The only reason I've known people to do this is because they're part of a cosplay group. This all goes back to why do you cosplay in the first place. If someone sees you wearing a costume of a character from a series at a con, they're going to assume you're a fan who wants to talk about it. It's quite strange when someone wearing a costume didn't like the series it was from, or worse yet, hasn't even watched it.
>>
>>9362559
I've cosplayed kotori from Love live. I felt so uncomfortable because she was the opposite of my usual type.

I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with it persay, but you'll need to be prepared for people who will presume you're a fan.

If it's love live, just say you play the game.
>>
As long as there is something you like from the series (in your case, the character), it is fine.

Will never understand cosplaying from things that you absolutely hate. Why put so much time and effort into something you loathe?
>>
At the end of the day, you're doing this for you. Not for some random that has the potential to get buttmad over something which isn't even hurting them. If you're enjoying yourself then that's all that matters and if you play your cards right then no one will ever know.
>>
I'd say no. Cosplaying is basically a way to pay homage to the characters or series you like. At least try to learn about the character in case some autistic nipticker start questioning you and end up being branded as some normie poser.
>>
If you don't respect the work it will be reflected in your costume quality, assuming you are making the outfit. You will just naturally give less fucks because there's no passion. Don't do it
>>
If you like the character then go for it, if you know nothing about the source material then don't be a fucking tryhard.
>>
>>9362559
do you like the character, or just the outfit? Its somewhat annoying when people cosplay just for the outfit. Just disappointing when you see someone you think is a fan of the thing, but they aren't.
>>
>>9362559
What about shows that you gave up on halfway through? There are some characters that I really like but the shows themselves were crappy and I stopped watching them.
>>
>>9362559
>What does /cgl/ think about people cosplaying from something they don't like? Is it ever okay?

According to the majority of female posters on /cgl/, it is okay.
According to the majority of male posters on /cgl/, it is not okay.

Overall results (approximate prediction of a poll if it was conducted on /cgl/ and most people actually cared to vote):
>56.5%
for Not Okay
>42.2%
for Okay
>1.3%
for Don't Care
>0.0%
for other options (N/A).
>>
>>9362559
cosplay isn't about being an authentic fan.
>>
>>9362559
If you specifically mean love live, the game is much better than the show. The plot is way less trash, or you can say you just played it for the rhythm game aspect. Most people cosplay the game cards and not anime designs anyway.
>>
>>9363186
This!!
>>
>>9363186
>>9363198
Whoa! Calm down over there, J-Nig.
>>
>>9362559
I'd say just make sure you know about the show so if fans talk to you about it you don't look like a jerk
>>
>>9363280
And if they really stump you, you can probably just say that you wore this costume to match your "friend"
>>
>>9363186
...?? What IS it about to you, then? Why would you emulate something you don't even like?

You don't need to have intense knowledge of something but you should be a fan of something you're cosplaying, always. At least have tried the game/watched a few episodes of the series and then you can say okay I tried it, I don't like it, but at least I tried.
>>
>>9363186
Get. Out.
>>
>>9362559
I think it's fine as long as you watch the show. I did this recently with a character who's design I'd loved for years but when I watched the anime, it was garbage. As long as you know about the show it's fine. Sometimes people just really like designs/a certain character despite a show being total garbage.
>>
>>9363206
>>9363304
>>9363309
Chill out neckbeards. You seriously think that the best and most talented cosplayers actually have the time to watch cartoons?
>>
Yeah when an anime is terrible but a character is cute I'd say it's fine. As long as you at least watched a few episodes of the show and read up on the info. But still. Does an outfit really overpower the love you have for a character ?
I just find it weird to cosplay something you don't like/know anything at all because it's popular or sexy/cute. We both know you're not doing this armour from wow because it looks cute, but rather a girly/sexy costume because it looks exactly that.
I personally just don't see how you would cosplay a character you don't exactly like or a series you don't like over characters you love and want to be irl.
>>
at the end of the day its just a costume
people put way too much value on the reasons behind why they cosplay
if you want to dress up as a thing just do it, its not a big moral issue
>>
>>9362559
I'm in this boat right now. I feel like I have to become a legend at fighting games in general before I can cosplay this character...but I love her design so much
>>
I've been approached about doing groups before but I just don't really enjoy the things that people want me in the group for so I've always turned them down. Idk, maybe I shouldn't? It just seems like a waste of money to buy/make a cosplay from something I don't like.
>>
Does cosplaying from things I don't give a shit about count?

Friend wanted me to do a cosplay with them from a series I was decidedly neutral on, decided to roll with it. Looked into it enough to see some bits where my character showed up and that's pretty much all I know about it to this day.
>>
>>9363886
>Does cosplaying from things I don't give a shit about count?

Yes? Like that's literally the same thing OP's asking, except even worse?
>>
>>9363884
Depends. I like cosplaying in groups more than cosplaying alone. I have a good friend that wants me to do groups for shows I've never watched and I'm iffy about it but I would just because it would be fun.
>>
>>9363337
If they just like making costumes then they shouldn't bother coming to cons and just make the costumes. It's pathetic to just do it for the attention. You don't need to LOVE it or have this intense knowledge but at that point it's just modeling not cosplay.
>>
>>9362993
That's not necessarily true though. If you care about your work and doing a good cosplay, you're going to want to make a good cosplay whatever you do.
>>
>>9363343
in most cases though there has to be a reason for liking the character, you know?

for example I like Kanna from the recent dragon maids anime but the manga is so much better. it's not my fault they butchered the anime and ruined it. I love all of the characters and their personalities and the plot but I can't get through the show because it sucks.

Or Kono Suba, which I used to like...s2 is ruined and I can firmly say the LNs were way better. Same with Love Live! where the game and live performances are so much better than the anime.
>>
>>9362559
>giving a shit what this board thinks
don't waste your time on that anon just do what you want, literally no one except a few sperges on here will give a shit
>>
>>9363337
hoping this is bait
>>
File: 1702168829.jpg (3KB, 80x73px) Image search: [Google]
1702168829.jpg
3KB, 80x73px
>>9362559
God, I feel you a lot. I want to cosplay fubuki from kancolle because she's cute but I have an irrationallly extreme hate for kantai collection.
>>
Im probably going to end up coaplaying Momiji from touhou project.

Party to fuck with my friend. Party because i like the design.
>>
>>9364165
>You don't need to LOVE it or have this intense knowledge
From which cave are you from?
>>
File: 1466542639833.jpg (174KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1466542639833.jpg
174KB, 640x640px
Its honestly ok. But isn't weird to dedicate so much work/effort into a costume and never spend even an hour to watch an episode or two of a show, or a play game, etc.?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.