[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Both MagWest and Crunchyroll Expo are on the same weekend at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

File: crunchyroll_logo_vertical.png (24KB, 1500x800px) Image search: [Google]
crunchyroll_logo_vertical.png
24KB, 1500x800px
Both MagWest and Crunchyroll Expo are on the same weekend at the Santa Clara Convention Center

http://static.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/beta/about/crunchyroll_logo_vertical.png
http://magfest.org/west

That place is considered to be the graveyard of conventions so it will be really interesting to see how this plays out.
>>
wait hol up a joint convention
>>
I'm cautiously optimistic about a name as big as Crunchyroll getting involved in cons. Those two together is going to either be an amazing con or Dashcon Goes Large.
>>
I thought this would happen eventually. At this point CR is no doubt the biggest player in the NA anime business. Still i genuinely want to know what they mean by saying this will be different than other cons
>>
>>9350094
Well MagWest and Crunchyroll Expo are not doing joint events
>>
>>9350055
>Crunchyroll Expo
But why tho
>>
>>9350237
They have one million subscribers so they got the cashflow.

Also they're doing this to make money
>>
>>9350055
Aod was at Santa Clara convention center last year and they're back again, although as a hotel convention next to the center this time. They were joint with a few other events at the center last year
>>
>>9350055
Isn't NY the graveyard of conventions?
>>
>>9350272
And traditionally aod is a hotel con anyway so it's not declining by returning to a hotel
>>
>>9350272
>Back again
>Both cons are brand new
>>
>>9350303
Aod is anime on display
>>
File: dickbutt_logo.png (217KB, 889x455px) Image search: [Google]
dickbutt_logo.png
217KB, 889x455px
>>9350055
I run MAGWest. Casual AmA? I'm a complete fucking goofball and this is 4chan, so you'd be an idiot to trust whatever I say. Even if I do prove that I am who I say I am.
>>
>>9350353
Go shill somewhere else.
>>
>>9350360
Make me internet stranger. You have no power here. This is the internet.
>>
>>9350353
Are you going to have joint events because I'm not paying for two passes
>>
>>9350353
When are AA/Vendor sign ups going up? Is it going to be jury like MAGFest or will it be FCFS?

Can you give us an initial idea of what to expect re: guests and programming?

I'm trying to decide if I want to try out MAGWest or CR Expo so give me your pitch on why I should choose your con.
>>
>>9350364
Are you gonna have a ball pit? My friends and I loved Dash-con, and this seems like our kinda party :3
>>
>>9350371
This CrunchyRoll thing just got announced today, right? I only heard about it today, at least. I guess what I'm saying is: Your question will remain a question, even if I answer it.
>>
I think it's a coincidence. Any seasoned Congo or would know at this point that a lot of random events get double booked at the same venue. It just happens that for once the attendees will probably have some pretty overlapping interest. I have high hopes for magwest I can't stand all the ridiculous East Coast January to February weather and travel expenses of Magfest.
>>
>>9350372
AA/Vendor stuff is still being figured out internally. I couldn't tell you the details as its not my department. I trust someone else to do that :)

Personal thought here, not MAGWest's opinion: What do you expect a guest for? You think the guest is coming to please you? To hang out with you? A guest should be coming to MAGWest because they are an awesome badass in the realm of games, who has to party with us.

You can't choose MAGWest as your con because we're NOT A CON. Its a festival. MAGFest. Fest stands for Festival. Now why should you choose MAGWest over CR Expo? I don't know. I don't know anything about CR Expo. I don't know anything about you. Maybe you'd like to spend your weekend using your badge to watch streams available with a subscription to CR, but in person. Maybe you'd like to spend your weekend using your badge to play games you've never found anywhere else.

TL:DR; Do the form you can find on magwest.org and tell me you don't want to come. Write it in the form in the final box.
>>
File: SANIC.png (59KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
SANIC.png
59KB, 1152x648px
>>9350380
I'll have to ask the event insurance. We're a weird ass party, so I hope that is your kind of party.
>>
>>9350388
>hai guys I have a convention but I don't know what we're doing. Sign my form and tell me what to bring!
>>
>>9350388
Uh, did you not understand the purpose of asking what kind of guests/programming you might have lined up? It's not because I'm entitled and think guests are coming solely to hang out with me - it's because I want to know what kind of programming I'd be paying to see.
>>
>>9350400
We'll it's MAGfest, you should just buy your badge now cuz it's awesome! Don't worry about we don't know who's coming or what you can play, because name dropping! MAGfest!
>>
>>9350394
That's pretty much what's happening, yeah.
>>
>>9350400
Obviously, I did not. I got a lot thoughts about Guests and their purpose stranger! Nothing towards you, a person who I know literally nothing about.
>>
>>9350272
Yeah I think there was some kind of young girl's dance competition the same weekend... AOD really suffered from the layout of the con center I believe, there were times that the dealer hall were almost empty. All the event stuff was upstairs.
>>
>>9350411
Come back when you actually know what you're doing.
>>
>>9350055
I feel like there's a missed opportunity here. It should have been named CrunchyCon!
>>
>>9350411
I really hope you're not actually the person in charge of MAGWest because all you've done so far is make your own event look bad and unorganized.

I guess I'll be checking out Crunchyroll Expo instead.

>>9350413
The parents of the kids competing looked so bewildered whenever cosplayers walked by. They also had some sort of live music/concert going on that would absolutely drown out the sound in the exhibit hall/artist alley.
>>
>>9350423
Same. MAGfest is fucking awesome, I loved the MEGAmanathon and all of Tokyo Attack games. I'll tweet them later and ask about who's running this.
>>
>>9350423
Maybe it's a ploy by CR staff or a troll. I'm sure a con that's normally well run like MAG doesn't actually think this way.
>>
>>9350428
They just fucking annouced today, what good is it to start talking shit about another con? Besides. MAGfest and Crunchy are two seperate types of people, why would they care?
>>
>>9350427
>>9350428
Yeah, I've attended MAGfest before and I absolutely loved it. So I was a bit taken aback by how rude this was. Troll was my first thought too.
>>
>>9350419
>>9350428

Not a troll, just a social retard. We love you, man, but let the people with social skills do PR.
>>
>>9350353
Ok, I'll bite. Will there be any livestreams like niconico and crunchyroll used to do?
>>
>>9350455

Fucktons of livestreams of all your favorite bands.
>>
>>9350353
Will there be as much pro wrestling content as there was at Magfest?
>>
>>9350427
Be prepared to be disappointed when the shit hits the fan next year on some fallout that happened after the last MAGFest.
>>
MagWest pros:
>MagFest is an established con known for being a good time
>probably under similar or same management

Magwest cons:
>See: Otakon and Otakon Vegas. Success is not guaranteed to carry over

Crunchyroll Expo pros:
>Possibility of corporate backing/sponsors. Bigger sponsors are more likely to provide a more polished experience

CRE cons:
> We don't know shit also didn't Crunchyroll fire a fuckton of people recently?
> Most likely going to be more of a corporate event rather than a party con. Since they're citing things like E3 or Blizzcon in their first press release, it seems like they're going for a more corporate show feel rather than a "hangout con"

Honestly, there's no point in speculating at this point in the game. It's simply too early. I'm cautiously optimistic, though... More local cons for me is a good thing, in general.
>>
>>9350628
Elaborate.
>>
>>9350353
>>>/reddit/

Your people are calling you, faggot.
>>
>>9350663

Uh, I might hand out with losers, but I'm not quite that desperate (yet)
Just desperate enough to do an AMA here, feeling wholly unappreciated.
>>
>>9350630
Crunchyroll fired 15 Engineers because they offshored the development that they were doing to an oversees corp with about 50 employees. That's at least $1.2mil to $2.7mil freed up (Salary of $80-130k not including benefits for SanFrancisco developers) just by letting those people go, and who knows how much they're spending on the new company. It's standard Tech-world move though.

As far as your other worries, only thing I'd wince over is it being TOO corporate. Goodsmile out the asshole and every suit looking to make it their own.
>>
>>9350665
AX is pretty corporate, it's doing just fine and is plenty fun (if you can get in the fucking door that is)
>>
>>9350665
I think there's space for that super corporate show convention, though. Most anime cons, especially, are fan-driven cons, in some part. I'd even argue that AX, for all it's corporate-ness, still has a strong fan element to it. If Crunchyroll Expo ends up being pure corporate, that's fine.

If anything, it might be a good balance to MagWest, if MagWest is going the party/hangout route
>>
>>9350388
okay so as someone who has never been to magfest and doesn't know anything about it

why should i go to your event and what is your appeal?

legit sales question here
>>
>>9350630
>> Most likely going to be more of a corporate event rather than a party con. Since they're citing things like E3 or Blizzcon in their first press release, it seems like they're going for a more corporate show feel rather than a "hangout con"

How the hell is this a con? Fan events and fan panels are usually horrible. Then again I go to cons for news, merch, autographs and guests. I don't give two shits about cosplayers or con hangouts.
>>
>>9350665
CR's owners got in bed with this company in europe and one of the european company's guys got hired by CR's owners. fire all the local guys who built your stuff and then hire the guys from the european company because lol money funneling
>>
Who gives a flying a fuck? Just another convention for autistic white boys and girls and anything white washed in America, specifically here in SoCal. I can't imagine people my age still hyped for conventions these days. Leave these retarded events for the new generation and move on.
>>
For my two cents, I know that Crunchyroll has sponsored many anime cons in my area. Couldn't tell you how many crunchy roll lanyards I have since I get one at every anime con I go to. I think they have enough experience and connections on the con circuit to put together a good event. Since they started as a site that streamed other people's fansubs of both licensed and unlicensed anime, I'd hope they wouldn't stray too far from their fan roots.
>>
>>9350055
If they follow the same format Madman is doing in Australia then it might be successful.
>>
>>9350715
. . . but why are you here then. o_o
>>
>>9350678
AX doesn't give a fuck about you or the fans.
>>
>>9350788
No, that's Fanime

At least with AX I can see where all their money is going to.
>>
>>9350715
>White kids
>Conventions
>California
Yeah no that's maybe 40% of the con-going population at best. There's this whole group of people you might have heard of called East Asians? I hear anime is pretty big with them.
>>
>>9350055
>Graveyard of conventions

Only one con flopped and that was because of runners from Europe who didn't know how American cons work
Every other convention held there either went on to be even bigger/better or wasn't big enough yet like AOD so moved to a nearby location until it is
>>
>>9350787
This thread was linked in a website where CR Expo was originally announced that I frequent and basically I felt I should let you guys know how I feel seeing as how bad American anime conventions are in SoCal.

>>9350825
>American East Asians

Fixed for you. Do you not know how to completely read a sentence? I did add "white washed" and that refers to Asian Americans. And post proof of your calculations Einstein because that's clearly a guess from your so called valuable expertise to hide the fact that your people make anime convention look like total shit.
>>
>>9350715
How is this a bad thing?
>>
>>9351237
It keeps you from ever growing a pair.
>>
August is a shitty month. Both of these cons will tank
>>
>>9353576
Dont make fun of my birth month you bully!
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.