[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A guide to safety, security and self-defense at conventions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 20

As the constant churn of "con horror story" threads demonstrate, personal safety is definitely an issue at cons, both on and off the immediate premises. Since the discussions never produce much usable info and the nature of conventions (i.e. interstate travel and the con environment) is fairly unique, I put together a guide to cover basic personal safety at conventions:

https://fapangel.tumblr.com/post/156233151839/self-defense-for-the-con-goer

It could definitely use improvement, so if you have something to add, do weigh in.
>>
>>9329729
Step one: locate the testicles
Step two: apply direct force to testicles
>>
>>9329729
i feel like the best defense against a dangerous situation is common sense. don't let things escalate, if you notice someone following you around or someone is stepping over your boundaries nip it in the bud. alert someone, be assertive and straight forward when you tell someone to leave you alone, tell the people you're with what's going on. use the buddy system and if you're in an uncomfortable situation find con staff and let them know whats going on.
a lot of stories i see the people involved were being too nice/passive or they didn't do anything about it. i'm sure i'll get shit of this, but don't put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. don't go walking around by yourself in places out of the way, make sure all your personals are secured on your person somewhere, keep your cellphone with you, let people know where you're going even if it's just one person. and try to go to cons with people you know/trust who have your best interests at heart.
>>
File: tewi.png (1B, 486x500px)
tewi.png
1B, 486x500px
>>9329746

My mother (longtime Girl Scout leader) also volunteers as a teacher for "My Best Defense" classes, a self-defense training program aimed at younger girls. At one event, one of the girl's mothers came up behind her and caught her in a bear hug and said "okay, what do you do for this situation?"

My mother simply turned around in the grip (fairly easy to do,) so she was facing her "attacker", lifted her knee, and said "ladies, don't forget your basics."
>>
File: chunpunt.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
chunpunt.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9329746
If no testicles are found, locate snatch instead
>>
>>9329948
For real. I took a course at a pretty tough all-girls school, and I saw cunt-kicks almost every day.
>>
>>9329729
Listen to this man he is well versed in protecting his virginity.
>>
>>9329729
TURKEY TROTS TO WATER
>>
>>9329729
Have a cosplay with a weapon of some kind. It might be pretty and shiny, but if I start wacking you with my lightsaber, you wont fucking laugh.
>>
>>9329729
>Cosplay a character with a weapon (Homura, Ichiyon, Sig)
>Use nail polish to color tip of weapon orange
>????
>Profit
>>
>>9332132
Ain't nobody busting caps at an anime con, nigga.
>>
You're a lot more likely to get pickpocketed (or just flat out robbed) than you are to get raped. Obviously you should always be ready to defend yourself against sexual assault (especially at cons, because let's be real, there are a lot of creepers of all shapes, sizes, genders, orientation, etc. at cons), but do NOT forget the more likely threat at hand: some bag slashing motherfucker with their eyes on your Usakumya bag.
>>
>>9329853
thats epic senpai
>>
>>9332138
I keep my wallet and phone in the bust of my JSK/OP, so unless a pickpocket gropes me there's isn't much of a chance they'll be able to steal anything of value from me.
>>
>don't carry a lot on you and keep it close to your person
>carry a small weapon (I personally have that cat-face key chain, but also pepper spray or just your actual keys can work)
>let people know where you are if you're alone
>try to stay close to groups, if you go off campus for food/supplies/etc try to stick with other cosplayers or stay in well lit areas
>Uber/Lyft instead of walking, especially in urban areas

The most important thing is if something DOES start to happen, to stay calm and try to draw attention to yourself. If they try to get physical, use your weapon or kick them in the crotch. Then run like HELL into the nearest building and as said before, draw attention to yourself. If you're in cosplay/egl it should be pretty easy already but even still make sure there's witnesses.

Also, I have been mugged and attempted kidnapped before so a good rule of thumb (especially if you're in an unfamiliar location) is to trust NO bitch. You know the stranger danger "Hey kid, my puppy is missing, can you help me find him?" thing? It happens to adults to. The most commonly one I've heard is just for panhandling, the "My car broke down, I need $x for y car part", but I had a man once say "My car broke down, I need to get to my buddy's shop for that part," get in my car, and try to get me to stop at an ATM for cash when I told him I wasn't carrying any on me.

A lot of it's common sense, but at the same time we all want to do the right thing and help out but you have to separate yourself from that if you're in a new city. Especially DC-area cons, you don't know the people there. They DO know that cosplayers are there to spend money, are more aloof to city life, and are more likely to be targeted. Stay safe and stay smart.
>>
>>9332283
>but I had a man once say "My car broke down, I need to get to my buddy's shop for that part," get in my car
>get in my car
>get in

... don't you lock your damn doors? From the part where he "tried to get you to stop at an ATM" I take it he didn't smash your window out with a brick to open the door, as happened to me.
>>
>>9332283
This tends to happen when I am leaving the malls and it is late as I begin walking away when some stranger begins to beeline me from the corner of my eye with those words "I'm lost/need help/etc...I always say "SORRY! I'm have to be somewhere!!!" pace faster and don't make eye contact while saying that. As dick as it may be I tell myself they are in a mall - go bother a mall maintenance/security worker.

If its some random stop at a block - same deal, pace faster away / no eye-contact. This becomes a little difficult if you are with someone because they become curious to help, just nudge/should bump them to keep moving forward.

What's uncomfortable is you think it is one person that needs help, but once you stop and move towards where they want your help there are more people hidden around the corner that you don't know about. I sometimes make an educated guess they are not local so I'd do the same if they give the "directions help call", sorrry I am not from here, especially if they appear to be transients on foot (non-tourists)
>>
>>9329753
You're right, essentially all crimes against a person fall under this - they can be prevented by common sense.

However, simple thought can shut down. You don't know how to respond, you don't know what to do. Shock can take hold. Life freezes.

There are people that can snap back to reality (I punched my attacker in the face) but not everyone does. But yeah. Most stories you hear on here are people who didn't stop small behaviour before it became an issue
>>
>>9332763
>This tends to happen when I am leaving the malls and it is late as I begin walking away when some stranger begins to beeline me from the corner of my eye with those words "I'm lost/need help/etc...I always say "SORRY! I'm have to be somewhere!!!" pace faster and don't make eye contact while saying that.

Good policy. This is a version of the "interview," i.e. something criminals use to get close. If you don't realize what's happening, you mark yourself as a target. The old "hey man you got a light" thing? Just keeps you busy till they can close the distance. Once they're three feet away with a knife in their hand, you're fucked.

You win or lose while they're still ten feet away. You can't flee or protect yourself against a threat you never see coming. Keep your head on a swivel and answer every question with "no," and that'll go a long way.
>>
>>9329853
I feel that turning around would not have gone as easily in the determined grip of a male attacker
>>
Don't dress like trash, otherwise expect to be treated like one
>>
>>9332845
Tfw you get suckered by homeless guys and they go from what time is it? to trying to pressure you into giving them loose bills in an instant
>>
>>9332854
Piss off back to your century, please.
>>
>>9332845
I am in a area where there are many jehovah witness that over the years just want to tell me the end of the world etc and thus losing 20-30 minutes of my life, I'm naturally planning escape routes as soon as spider sense sees strangers thinking they plan to hook me.

I sometimes fail at that when they are getting clever nowadays, using someone young and cute only to be hit a few minutes after that they are jehovah witnesses baka.
>>
>>9332852
>I feel that turning around would not have gone as easily in the determined grip of a male attacker

It's easier than you might think. In fact, turning around is actually the go-to strategy for countering being choked from behind - if they press their arm over your windpipe, for instance. It's easy to keep you from moving away, but it's rather harder to keep you from twisting around. They can strangle you face to face, too, but you can also grab their balls and do your best to twist them off, so.

>>9332860
>Tfw you get suckered by homeless guys and they go from what time is it? to trying to pressure you into giving them loose bills in an instant

That's why the default reply should always be "no." Don't have to be nasty about it, just be firm.

>>9332871
These folks, on the other hand, sometimes don't understand anything short of "fuck off." In as many words. They stopped visiting our place after we bought a very big black lab. Friendliest dog on earth, but when he's loping towards you with his ears flapping as he barks his head off, it's not instantly apparent.

Especially when you're shouting "SIC'EM, BRUTUS!"
>>
>>9332879
I stopped talking to them period. Sorry homeless guys, ain't nobody got time for that
>>
>Carry a taser
>Carry pepper spray
>Carry a stun gun
>Carry an expandable baton
>Carry a knive
Sounds like a great way to get banned from a convention if you ask me.
>>
File: flat stare.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
flat stare.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9332941

Never been patted down or strip-searched at the door of a convention before. How are they gonna know you have it? Your killing intent?
>>
>>9332999
>Be an idiot, show it to someone or say you have one on you out loud
>Taking it out of your bag at the bag room
>Taking it out of your pocket as you reach for your wallet or phone
>Feel like you're about to get "assaulted", pull it out and realise you were overreacting and just showed everyone you are armed
Not to mention that on this side of the pond these items are illegal to begin with, which is probably a good thing. Odds are the majority of people don't even know how to use these items and only end up getting themselves hurt. Want to be safe at a con? Use some common sense, works fine for us.
>>
>>9332845
>The old "hey man you got a light" thing?
Those people are the worst, they always walk away with your lighter!
>>
>>9332999
This, just practice deep concealment, And a crinoline can cover a pretty large handgun if you do it right.
>>
>>9332941
It's con security, not TSA.
>>
>>9333244
But what if I want a cavity search?
>>
>>9332999
You'll be surprised how stupid people are when it comes to hiding weapon
>>
You're all paranoid, no one approaches ugly girls anyways.
>>
I've been going to coventions for a dozen years, carrying in all of them. Never been discovered once. Even metal detectors and bag checks have a way around them when you can socially engineer.
>>
File: 1363963487760.png (1B, 486x500px)
1363963487760.png
1B, 486x500px
>>9333062
>Not to mention that on this side of the pond these items are illegal to begin with, which is probably a good thing

Thank you for sharing your opinion about things that, by your own admission, you know nothing about. We are all enriched by your contribution.
>>
>>9334354
But I'm a cute trap.
>>
>>9334358
Just out of sincere curiosity, why do you feel the need to carry a weapon to a convention? Living in one of the safest countries in the world it's just something I can't possibly understand without hearing the other side's story. I mean nobody here carries a weapon, hardly anything bad ever happens here and the worst thing that took place at a convention so far was someone breaking her leg from falling down the stairs piss drunk.
>>
>>9333062
Which is why stabbings are at an all-time high, right?
Fucking moron.
>>
File: why carry a gun.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
why carry a gun.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9334372

Not that anon, but for me it's just "being prepared." I've also got Red Cross certification in First Aid and CPR training, too (8 hour long class, I don't wanna have to do that again, oi.)

I know some people who are always jumping at every shadow - even my own mother will get on my case if I want to visit Wal-Mart at 7PM in the winter (after dark) or something. Had to pull off the highway once for an emergency (damaged tire) and my sister gave me hell because I pulled into the empty parking lot of some small factory building, instead of driving ten damn miles to a gas station with lights and cameras and hunter-killer security droids and shit.

My response to that hand-wringing is always the same - "for fucks sake woman, I lug this goddamn thing around for a *reason.*"

It's also... not really that big of a deal, actually. Once you're used to it, you notice it about as much as your keys or your phone. It's not like carrying a coiled snake in your pocket, or something. Occasionally I take it out of the holster at home, blow the lint out of it, and... put it back. If you have a small pepper spray can on your keychain or in your purse, well - when's the last time you really thought about it? Pretty much the same thing.
>>
>>9329729
Have some g-ddamn agency
>>
>>9334382
This post makes my brain hurt, but I'm British so I will never 'get' guns and it's illegal for me to carry pepper spray.

I just wanted to point out that an 8 hour course in first aid is a basic minimum at best and the certificate probably only remains valid for 3 years- annual refresher training is recommended too. Why? Because if you don't use the skills you forget them, so sorry but if you want to 'be prepared', be prepared to do the training regularly.
>>
>>9334601
>I just wanted to point out that an 8 hour course in first aid is a basic minimum at best

I've been taking first-aid training (and practicing it, and teaching it to others) for a lot longer than that. The Red Cross training course - required to get the nifty little card for your wallet - is eight hours long.

> and the certificate probably only remains valid for 3 years

I attend the refresher courses to keep my certs current, because if I don't? I have to take the whole 8-hour class again. Aintnobodygottimefordat.

>and it's illegal for me to carry pepper spray.

I do not quite comprehend the logic of that, but then again there's a lot us yanks don't comprehend about England.
>>
>>9334372
I've never had to use the gun on anyone. Probably never will. I just like guns. The knife gets used quite a bit because knives are handy tools for a lot of people's lives.

Fun fact: I've been close enough to kill many, many guests at conventions if I had the mind to. Obviously I don't because they're the reason why I go to cons in the first place.

>>9334382
I have forgotten that I am wearing a knife openly (pocket clip visible) to the point where I have to turn around and go to the car at amusement parks. It's that much of a day to day thing.

>>9334601
Honestly there is nothing to fear once you are familiarized with them. You know how your mom told you to be careful with steak knives or the stove? And you learned how to properly use them and now you don't worry about it anymore? Or maybe when you were leaning to drive you had to think about it a lot but now it's second nature. It's like that. It's just part of the day. My family used to ask "why do you need a knife?" once I bought my first folder. Now they ask me to cut things/open things for them because they know I'm carrying one.
>>
>>9334656
Note I'm not >>9334601 but I'm a Brit.

The fact remains that it's illegal for them to be carried in public in the UK. Forget con regulations, I don't want to be detained on the off chance I'm gonna be attacked.

Unsure how we're gonna get used to carrying something we're not allowed to carry. Plus, for it to get to the point where you don't even realise it's there is actually pretty worrisome.
>>
>>9334661
Have you ever forgotten your keys, wallet, or phone? You probably just assume it's there and don't really think about it until you actively check for it or feel for it or need to use it. Same idea.

But yeah, sucks for you guys. Is it true you even get carded for cutlery at the store?
>>
File: sW6BjiV.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
sW6BjiV.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9334661
>Plus, for it to get to the point where you don't even realise it's there is actually pretty worrisome.

I understand that there is a culture gap here, but please try to understand what this sounds like to us yanks. It's hard for us to comprehend a world where we can't open a bag of fucking peanuts because we're forbidden to carry a *pocket knife.* You know, those wee things that Boy Scouts use to whittle balsa wood. Or cut a bit of twine while you're tying something to the cargo rack of your car before driving home from the lumber yard. It is even more incredible to hear someone speaking about a pocketknife like it's something to *worry about.* Like we're walking around with hand grenades in our pockets, or maybe live cobras. Anyone of a mind to hurt someone could arm themselves better by pulling their tire iron out of their boot. Or a three foot breaker bar, which I keep in my vehicle for changing tires (helped others twice, never needed myself yet, thankfully.)

I dunno. I just can't imagine not having that tool to hand.

>>9334668
>But yeah, sucks for you guys. Is it true you even get carded for cutlery at the store?

Yes. Yes, they do.
>>
>>9334672
The brits have gotta be doing something right though.
In 2012 there were 1,589 murders in the US with knifes being the weapon, whereas in the UK it was 193.
>>
>>9334744
Are those total numbers or numbers scaled down to X citizens?
>>
>>9334744
so ~3 per million vs ~4 per million. regardless, comparing the numbers is meaningless when you consider the reporting disparities, such as the uk not reporting until after investigation and trial.
>>
>>9334760
Plus in the US those types of crimes are overwhelmingly committed by a specific demographic, most often against the same demographic.
>>
>>9334668
>>9334672
Define cutlery.

Knife and fork sets you use on your table every day - no

Steak knives, carving knife, basically BIG SHARP AND POINTY - yes.

>Can't open a bag of peanuts because can't carry a pocket knife
Wut? Just open it with your hands. It's not hard?

Oh, we are allowed scissors in public, so we can cut twine or open those pesky packets of peanuts. You know, cause scissors totally can't be used as dangerous weapons nor can be concealed.

>>9334755
Homicide figures show the USA have 12,253 per 100,000 and UK have 602 per 100,000

I can't find the figures >>9334744 is referring to.

I dislike using figures like this though; "murder by knife" doesn't specify what they're classing as a knife either. The UK has a LOT of crime via makeshift stabby thing - that isn't classed as a knife.
>>
>>9332860
Tfw you are actually asking for the time and everyones first response is "I have no money"
>>
>>9334808
>Wut? Just open it with your hands. It's not hard?

It is my shame to admit that, despite my nation having put a man on the god damned moon, we still cannot:

* Make 1/2 of our snack foods, or 3/4ts of our grocery store products, come in "resealable" bags that don't rip themselves to useless shreds when you try to use the "tear-off tab," much less make them actually resealable,
* Make a vending machine that can accept a slightly crumpled dollar bill,
* or hunt down the SOB that convinced our city planners that roundabouts are a good idea and drown him in a lake.
>>
>>9335017
Ah, the UK have resealable bags down to a T. Not that anyone reseals them (we just eat it all in one go).

And, despite being pioneers, leading the world into the future, yadda yadda, our machines also struggle with the crumpled note.

What's wrong with roundabouts? They're useless in some cases but usually pretty well placed. Feeder lanes in rural areas, however...
>>
>>9335032
>What's wrong with roundabouts?

Our road planners, to be blunt. They love the idea, but never seem to use them right.

They can at least use them better than France, though, so there is that.
>>
File: stabby thingys.png (1B, 486x500px)
stabby thingys.png
1B, 486x500px
>>9334744
>>9334808
FBI crime statistics of the US in 2012
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2008-2012.xls
>Knives or cutting instruments; 1,589

The other is a PDF written for the House of Commons library
>offences (homicides) involving a knife or sharp object 193.
>>
>>9335068
Do they put them in stupid places? I bet they put them in stupid places. Where I live we have a junction that's on a corner that's at the top of the hill and the roadside has high hedges.

Road planners are thick.

>>9335088
Ah so this is in total, and not scaled. Yeah, not a real comparison then regarding pointy object murders.

But then, including all homicide I suppose it does show that all our regulations regarding weapons does kinda pay off.

As it stands, this is now really off topic and has very little to do with con safety.

In the UK, carry a sewing kit with you at all times. Cause scissors are legal to have in your bag. And cons won't confiscate them either.
>>
>>9335097
>Road planners are thick.

Pretty much this.

>In the UK, carry a sewing kit with you at all times. Cause scissors are legal to have in your bag. And cons won't confiscate them either.

A pretty good idea for any con, if you're cosplaying. And even if you're not, you might be able to help someone else.

A "con survival kit" might be an interesting thread; see what people consider essential for a con trip.
>>
>>9336384
>A "con survival kit" might be an interesting thread; see what people consider essential for a con trip.
It's kind of dead season right now, but during spring/summer when there are far more cons going on, there are a lot more of those threads.
>>
>>9334805
>not just saying black on black violence
It's ok to say it anon. This isn't tumblr.
>>
Would I get laughed at if i wore an inyuasha cosplay in our current year 2017?
>>
>>9336674
As long as it's actually good cosplay, nah. I still see weebs doing naruto and kingdom hearts and shit.
>>
>>9332941
Maybe a Canuck con.
>>
>>9336679
>"Still see weeks cosplaying naruto"
>Wants to cosplay madara when I lose weight/get fitter

Fuck I'm a weeb.
>>
>>9336894
*Weebs

Damn phone
>>
>>9330094
sounds like that a high-procent of the girls were lesbian dykes/butches
>>
>>9336894
I'm pretty sure that most people that go to conventions are weebs lol
>>
>>9334363
In that case, you're a national treasure which must be protected at all costs.
>>
>>9336674
Doubtful.
>>
File: 20170204_032132.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
20170204_032132.jpg
1B, 486x500px
With this
>>
>>9343090
>not modifying it to look like a samurai edge
pleb
>>
Always trust your gut feeling, gulls, even if people try to pull that "oh they're just trying to be friendly" bullshit.

>Wear lolita at times during high school and a lot of underskirts under my dresses that makes them longer.
>Have one substitute teacher in his late 60s who frequently subs for my classes and always comments on my clothes.
>"oh anon it's like you came from a different timeline!"
>"I wish more girls dressed like you, anon."
>Figure he's just an overeager old man, feel flattered at first.
>Goes out of his way to talk to me for hours, let's me ditch class.
>things start to get.... weird
>near the end said 60 year old man starts putting his hand on my shoulder, on my waist, commenting on my petticoats and saying how sexy they are.
>"hahah- yeah, okay"
>graduate
>one month later same teacher shows up at my work when I'm not there.
>leaves me notes behind my counter: "I miss you so much in my class, hope you're doing well"
>comes in again, looks at the normal red work dress I'm wearing and says "this isn't like what you usually wear, I don't like it."
>feel extremely disturbed and hide in the back everytime he comes in.
>voice concern, be told "oh anon, he's just a friendly old man! I'm sure he doesn't mean to come off that way!"
>about to leave work one night and I see him sitting on the benches outside my work, but I was wearing a blonde wig so I guess he didn't realize it was me.
>sit inside work and talk to management, tells the dude to leave
>still told "oh anon you really shouldn't make this stuff up for attention, you have to expect this since you dress this way"
>fast forward one year, said teacher is arrested for molesting three elementary school students

95% of the time your intuition is probably correct.
>>
File: 8b3.png (1B, 486x500px)
8b3.png
1B, 486x500px
>>9344578
>>
>>9343090
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person that carries to a con. I was carrying one time and walked right past the weapons check table and my friend who knew I was carrying stopped me and with a really confused look on his face said "why didn't you stop and have your gun checked?"
To this day I don't know why he thought I was going to stop for them.
I was also talking about con security to a vendor once because he was almost mugged outside of the con but he drew his pistol and the muggers ran off. So yea if I can swing it in my costume a pistol packing I will go.
>>
File: 4631743823.png (1B, 486x500px)
4631743823.png
1B, 486x500px
>>9344578
I'm genuinely disturbed, that's so damn creepy. Sorry you had to go through that, and even more so for the fact people dismiss what you say and excuse this asshole's behavior. Disgusting.
>>
>>9329729
Biggest Mistake I see at cons is girls making themselves financially dependent on strange men. I use to work a lot of cons and, as a lady, other girls would be like; "lol you paid for your room yourself? why don't you find some guy on the internet to pay for it!". this would extend to expecting strange men (strange as in unfamiliar; never met them before) to pay for all their food and merch and cosplay materials.

I even knew a girl who would trade sex for everything to be covered for her. She was quite proud of herself, although twice with con security (at two separate cons) I had to help coordinate getting her away from a dangerous stranger who wanted to hurt her.

I'm not sharing this as some form of slut shaming, I'm just literally trying to say this; it's dangerous to go with the "i'm not paying for anything" route at a convention that it's local (meaning you drove there and intend to sleep at your own home each night). It's always nice when someone does randomly help you out, but planning your con experience around handouts places you in a vulnerable situation. There are a lot of people who think that, even though they say they are treating you to something, still perceive a debt incurring and that you "owe" them something.
>>
>>9345971
>to go with the "i'm not paying for anything" route at a convention that *isn't* local
>>
>cosplay character with gun.
>bring fake hollowed out airshit
> little certified inspected tag, orange twist tie. Or what ever the con gives to say they looked at it and its mot real. >Take it off and put it on real gun
>dont ND

See now how hard is that? Now you can take on a group of rapist stalker weebos.
>>
File: waiting.gif (771KB, 488x275px) Image search: [Google]
waiting.gif
771KB, 488x275px
>>9332941

Fucker its con security. Half of them are hosted on public property. They have no legal powers over you. Besides taking your badge (which you have to willingly give to them).
Worst case they call the cops, you walk out the door, leave them explaining to the cops how its agianst the con rules to have peper spray. Fuck you could stick around, get a pat down. Then watch the cop be like explain to some 20 year old weeb volunteer for that youre untouchable. Unles they want to sue you for breech of contract (like they hold any legal power). (Alternative is he cop asks you to leave, you leave, put on a diffrent costume, rub off the name on your tag with some solvents (depends on type of pen, but rubbing alchohol gets most) then go to the library and print a new name on it.
Then hide your shit better next time.
Alternatively just walk away and play hide and seek with con staff. Might still require diffrent id and look.

Also remember kids if its in a state with conceal carry laws you can conceal carry everywhere but goverment buildings. Cause you know state law>some convention center rules.

Not that I'm an ancap or anything, just hate when places are like "nah man, that thing that garentees you get a fair chance at fireing back when /r9k/ walks in with his dad's hunting rifle, nah you cant have it here. Hide under the desk and wait for the Hadji to throw a fire bomb in the room, have fun being roasted alive." Like fuck m8, why are cons ran by anti firearm people.
>>
>>9348928
>Also remember kids if its in a state with conceal carry laws you can conceal carry everywhere but goverment buildings. Cause you know state law>some convention center rules.
This is mostly true but not quite. In VA it isn't illegal to carry in other places, but it is legal for the property owner to make a no-weapons policy. They can then ask you to leave (if they discover you're carrying) and if you don't it's trespassing. It's the way they do noguns on college campuses — the college must have a clear, limited set of restrictions on guns that is not a blanket ban.
>>
>>9348928
Also dont take my word for law, these are just antics I've pulled at meduim sized cons in a very conservative state.

Do your research first and even if you do choose to illegally conceal and carry, dont be a fucking idiot. Follow the rules of thump for weapons (dont carry with round chambered, dont print, dont show off), be extra cautious (chances are you aint going to be quick drawing on no hoe, most stalkers and weebs have self doubt issues, they'll follow you, look for the right opportunity, etc, so maybe somt even keep the mag in, keep it on your other hip, hell some pistols are supereasy to deconstruct, keepit in 3 parts so even if someone sees one part they wont assume its a gun) and the thugs rule of thumb (dont carry a gun you dont want to lose, baggy clothing hides your shit, and stops tazer guns, have a not nescerly believeable, but not unproveabme like, was passing through to the pawn shop.)

>>9348944
Yep, which is perfectly reasonable, dont let anyone findout.
>>
>>9348955
>dont carry with round chambered
>>
>>9348969
Yeah, unless youre walking into a war zone, or a ghetto.

Despite how new or stable it seems. One small manufacture error, and a bad bump, drop, slip, etc. And you ND and ar on the news, your gun is helx for 30days-a few years depending on state, maybe a manslaughter charge, etc etc.

God i need sleep I'm ranting about guns and shit. Havnt slept since saterday.
>>
File: 1272595764528.jpg (11KB, 300x396px) Image search: [Google]
1272595764528.jpg
11KB, 300x396px
>can't leave anything in my coworker's car because she won't lock her doors
>living with aunt at the time, she puts up a fuss because I make her lock the house when we're both gone for a couple hours
>>
>>9329729
lmao just don't be a slut
>>
>>9329729
learn taichi it's the best form of selfdefense evar.
it's really judo techniques to the groin
>>
>>9350808
>judo techniques to the groin
anything involving hitting the groin sounds like my idea of a good time
>>
>>9350333
Someone has some big city trauma.

>>9350870
>kick guy in groin
>he smiles
>kick him again, stub toe on hard junk.
>>
>>9349024

>carrying one on the chamber while having the safety off and hammer back

Well no shit you might ND.

You see with a 92fs it's pretty fucking hard to ND though.
>>
>>9351131
I don't know, with how often we see cops searching the area, locking a door when we're gone seems like a pretty okay idea.
>>
>>9333065

This happened to me once
>>
>>9351206
Only once? Teach me your way senpai!
>>
>>9351244

It only happened once because I knew better after that not to be kind or generous to strangers
>>
>>9351145
>One small manufacture error,
I'll ask him his gun name next time he comes over, but my friends pistol was just recalled due to a firing pin manufacturing error, it was loose and if you dropped your gun (with safety on and hammer not pulled back) it would fire if there was one in the chamber.
I think it's a pretty sensible thing desu.
>>
>>9344578
Jesus Christ, the fuck is wrong with people?
>>
>>9344578
>horny pedophile wants to channel his pedophilic lust by fucking a high school graduate
>high school graduate declines
>pedophile forced to unleash his pedophilic lust upon poor innocent elementary school kids instead
Their blood is on your hands anon. You could have prevented this.
>>
Conceal carry you fucking commies.
>>
File: 1368776293917.png (170KB, 305x379px) Image search: [Google]
1368776293917.png
170KB, 305x379px
>>9329853

what if the attacker is a football player and is wearing a cup?

girls who don't want to be raped: BTFO
>>
File: 1856284563453.jpg (65KB, 476x411px) Image search: [Google]
1856284563453.jpg
65KB, 476x411px
>>9352250
>Their blood is on your hands anon. You could have prevented this.
>>
>>9354444
It's not rape if he's a football player.
>>
File: smug grandpa.jpg (74KB, 588x424px) Image search: [Google]
smug grandpa.jpg
74KB, 588x424px
/k/ as fuck thread

But real advice: if you are dedicated to bringing a weapon, put it somewhere you can access it in two motions or less. Folding knives are good.

If you're interested in a handgun for self-defense let /k/ help you. We got infographics up the yin-yang
>>
>>9352250
Somehow it's OP's fault that some substitute teacher was a pedophile? Do you need me to write you up a prescription or what?
>>
>>9329729
I'm more concerned by the tryhard fedora faggot of an OP raping someone then said mouth breather he keeps talking about.
>>
>the hay man you got a light method.

Thats how you score the best crack though.
>>
>>9334668
DESU carding doesn't make a difference. I work in a supermarket. This guy walked in, bought a knife, walked out into the street and stabbed his wife. She lived btw, he fucked off and killed himself.

There was a load of bullshit of people thinking the staff had to get counselling after the trauma too, but the girl who approved the sale just shrugged like "how was I supposed to know?" all carding does is make sure no dumb kids buy knives, but nothing's stopping them from taking a knife from their kitchen.
>>
Can we get some Con Horror Stories to keep this thread going, at the very least?
>>
>>9354952
>She lived btw, he fucked off and killed himself.
Good riddance.
>>
>"you should carry a weapon"

Regardless of the fact that I'm in the UK and there are strict laws against that, this just ultimately seems like a bad idea.

Like, yeah, on some the fear factor could work. But I'm guessing the vast majority are gonna be men attacking women. Men are typically faster, stronger and bigger than women, so all you're gonna do is supply them with a weapon instead. And in areas where it's legal to be armed, what's stopping him from carrying a weapon too?

I just feel like it would make the situation worse. The better option would be to go round as a group.

And that's regardless of gender: you're less likely to be mugged or raped when you're in a group.
>>
>>9329948
Just be sure to yell "CUNT PUNT" when you do it. That's vital.
>>
>>9360986
Its not about fear factor. Its about stopping power. Doesnt matter how strong they are. Takes you under a second to draw and hip fire into them, no one can react to that. They won't shoot first cause theyre a theif not a mass shooter.

Are you a cuck, cause heres how i read that. "Why would I want to be on equal ground with the person attacking me? Id rather just give them all the power over me and have no chance of fighting back"
>>
>>9333065
God I've always had people give it back, guess I am lucky. Shit I had a couple extra and tried to give it to the dude and he said he wouldn’t take it unless he had change to pay me back for it. I try to be careful and not alone, know how defend myself and all but shit ain't never had anybody try shit with me if I let 'em use one of my extra cheapo lighters.
>>
File: tipsboater.jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tipsboater.jpg
17KB, 400x400px
>>9361137
>calling your attacks in real life
Weeb.
>>
>>9362003
The anon you're responding to is most likely a woman.
>>
>>9362234
What? Women cant be cucks. Ive got a lot of porn that proves that wrong.
>>
Most cons have strict policies against weapons of any kind. Also I feel like a guide should all be on one page.

Best thing to do-

Unless someone you know and trust poured the drink, don't drink it.

Don't get super drunk or take a lot of drugs at large parties with lots of strangers, convention or not.

Keep your phone handy at all times, and have the panic button available.

Don't go anywhere alone with men who give you a weird vibe or who you don't know well.

If someone seems suspicious, give them a wide degree of personal space but avoid anxious body language.

If someone appears to have no concept of boundaries or doesn't seem like they know they are being annoying, tell them outright "I don't like when strangers touch me" or "I didn't say I would do (x)." or "Dude, are you trying to take a picture down my shirt? That's not cool."

Watch out for your friends, and don't have room parties in hotel rooms that don't have both genders staying in them. Sadly grabbing one of your male friends will usually be more effective if you need to eject someone from a party for getting too close to a lot of very drunk girls.

It's always okay to make a bullshit excuse and disappear.

If someone does "target you" start talking to them in a louder voice so someone will hear. If someone tries to hurt you, scream for help.

If someone is following you, head for a well lit public place. If someone does something creepy or threatens you, go for a well lit, public place as soon as you can and tell as many people as possible that something creepy or threatening happened so they can help you keep safe and report it.

Keep as much body distance between yourself and anyone threatening as possible. Keep furniture or cars or whatever between yourself and them as often as possible. If someone tries to grab you, hit them as hard as you can in the knees, the feet, or the gut, then run. If you can, throw shit at them.
>>
>>9362777
The assertiveness link is probably most of what you need. The most important thing is to not be an easy target- IRL, if you get into a fight, you are going to get hurt even if you win, so most people will avoid getting into a fight. So if you make it seem like you are going to fight back or make it hard to attack you, you will usually be okay.

Also, for the record a lot of socially awkward, ugly congoers wouldn't hurt a fly and aren't even angry, entitled manchildren who will behave badly. A rapist or attacker can look like anything, but it's most likely that you will be raped by someone you trust and allow to get close to you.
>>
>>9332138
This is also important. Don't carry a lot of con money and know where your bag is. Have a sturdy strap and wear a crossbody style or something else like that. Get someone to watch your stuff if you put it down and be careful who you let into your room.

Also, keeping valuables in your room is a good idea when you're not in the process of spending money or using your expensive camera or whatever. If you need money and you don't have it on you, you can always go back to your room to get it.
>>
>>9362777
Do all three and then knee them in the face. Then you can run like hell to the nearest public area.

>Take out the knees is one of the lessons I've learned in martial arts. Fucking cripple your opponent so they can't run after you. Also my instructor always reminded us that it was much better to be tried by 12 than to be carried by six. If your attacked, attack back with all the force you can, however you can and with whatever is around you. Fight to live, not to kill.
>>
>>9362794
Yeah, this is good. I'm just going over the "rules" I was taught by some friends who were tough and most of them were basically

"Do everything you can to avoid getting into a fight, and if you have to hit them, get away and don't try to keep fighting, unless you are trained you're fucked."
>>
>>9362219
>weebs
>in my anime con

It's more likely than you think.
>>
>>9362003
I am not comfortable in breaking the law in a manner that would give me an extensive prison sentence. Read the first sentence about being in the UK

And yes, fear factor. Guns actually make very good deterrents as the vast majority of people will back the fuck up if you pull one out (same with knives). In a con setting, most attacks are opportunistic by nature so showing you're not an easy target is a good method. However, there are better, less illegal ways of doing that than what you are suggesting.

>Shoot them
There are only a few circumstances that you can get away with using extreme force. Yeah, definitely not taking advice from a gun toting loon.
>>
>>9362777
This advice is actually the best that has been given on this thread.
>>
>>9362813
in UK you guys are pretty fucked. my condolences

>>9362814
common sense ain't so common, yeah?
>>
>>9362816
Yet the last mass killer (4+ deaths excluding the killer) we had was in 2010. The USA the last was the 9th February, 2017. That's 11 days

And I looked at the use of any weapon for the UK, whereas just guns for the USA.

And if we just do our spree killers; ours was 2010 (the same incident) and killed 12, yours was last year, and killed 50.

But please, continue to tell me how much safer it is to have guns whilst ignoring all the statistics that prove otherwise.
>>
>>9362843
Its not about safety its about personal power. Id rather live in a mad max wasteland then some brave New world.
>>
>>9362843
64 million people live in the UK. The US has 319 million.

No shit the US has more crime. It's a huge place.
>>
>>9362777
I am stealing this guide, slightly adjusting this, and giving this out at several cons I staff. This is perfect.
>>
>>9363106
Seems like a lot of what he said can just be summed up into "Have common sense." Giving guests a laundry list of rules to follow in order to stay safe will just make cons seem like a dangerous place, when they're really not.
>>
>>9363081
The USA has a population that is almost 5 times the size of the UK. However, this doesn't change the fact that the UK hasn't had a mass killing (4+) for 6 yrs 8 months vs the USA's 11 days.

So looking at spree killings only again. Our last spree killing was June 2010 and he killed 12 people including himself. The last USA spree was last year and there was a confirmed 49 killed by him (though it states at least). So that is under the 5x amount of the UK killer of 2010 including the shooter.

However, that is one incident. The UK has had one spree killer in the last 6yrs 8 months. In that same time frame, the USA has had 9 which have totalled 148 deaths via spree killer vs our 12

That's 2.5 times higher than it should be if we scale it so the population is the same.

Statistically, I am a lot safer in the UK than I am in the USA.
>>
All I have is a can of pepper gel and a shitty touch taser. Luckily I've never been in a situation where I've had to pull them out. Got roofied once tho, but I was able to walk back to my hotel room before the effects kicked in.
>>
>>9363416
>>
>>9363416
>>9362843
To be honest it's mostly a philosophical difference. I was reading a USSC case recently on free speech, where basically they said the harm done by banning something protected by the Constitution outweighs the good that might be achieved.

Plus, the problem isn't guns, it's with the people who commit crimes with them. Mental illness and hate aren't protected by the Constitution, but for some reason people aren't as motivated to get rid of those.
>>
>>9363416
Statistically you are much safer in both countries than a lot of other countries. Honestly guns are not something to fear because you are much more likely to get in a car accident than get shot by someone else in the U.S. if you've never gotten into a car fearing for your life then you shouldn't actively think you're going to get shot in general. Nevermind all the texting while driving and other distractions nowadays

I'd rather people have choices instead of a blanket no from the government
>>
>>9332123
I'm pretty sure I would
>>
>>9332123
That better be reinforced steel lightsaber. Other wise it wont do shit.

>floresent bulb light sabers
>hit
>shatter
>wheres your weapons anjula?

Actually broken glass would be a good weapon, but those are expensive props.

>plastic
Id laugh and call your cosplay shit.
>>
Girls make sure to whisper to boys only in a well lit area of small motel rooms so the furries can yiff you. The key chains go into eyes of rapists then you scream and call your mom into the come get you. Like Botswana into the mountains put sand in your vagina.
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.