[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what were some of the more disappointing cons you have ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 10

File: Hanayo DO NOT WANT!.jpg (155KB, 1199x933px) Image search: [Google]
Hanayo DO NOT WANT!.jpg
155KB, 1199x933px
So what were some of the more disappointing cons you have ever went to? A con that genuinely made you feel was a genuine waste of cash
>>
Fanime 2016
>>
>>9319742
Anime USA. I wasted 50 or was it 60bux. I honestly could have not paid and not needed to ghost because all the photography was in the hotel area so it was "why the FUCK did I pay for it." The dealers room was worse than a meme and the panels were a "why bother". Anime USA: if they ever move from their hotel there is no reason to go to it,
>>
>>9319742
Rocky Mountain Con 2016 (first and last time I'll go)
>>
>>9319742
wizard world
>>
MTAC really shit the bed after 2013. It used to be the biggest con in the south. Then they moved it to a tiny-ass venue.
>>
Oni-con. I honestly don't know how it's still happening, it's so poorly run.
>>
>>9319742
anime apocalypse - I got in for free and STILL feel like I wasted money. So, so bad.
>>
Anime North 2016
>>
>>9319742
Most Australian cons to be honest. All the major ones are just a big dealers hall and that's it. The only ones I've really enjoyed are Animaga, PAX and SMASH!, smash especially. Maybe because it's interstate for me, but I always find it super fun with lots to do.

Missed Madman last year but excited to go this time around.
>>
Colossalcon
>>
>>9319793
To extend my reason.

-I was doing an AA Table to wrap up the year (it was held on Nov 5-6) There were more vendors and artists there than the attendees. (expected 2,000 since my friend who works as a vendor at the con says he does well in, it looked like it only turned up about 400). The Goers were like zombies, with no "con spirit" in my words.

-Panels were on the other side of the convention center via long narrow hallways; so it separated the "gaming' room and panels from the main events, celebrities, and the exhibitions.

-In the two days there I barely made $200, paid $75 for the table, and $300 for the 2 night stay at the conjoined hotel.
>>
Literally every con I've been to in Ohio.

Ohayocon has terrible panels, a bunch of whales wearing inaccurate costumes, literally retarded staff, and at a gross time of year.

Colossalcon had terrible panels also, vendors was a joke, and I only used my badge to go to the game room, which was nice, and the rave, which stank like rotten trash and the music was shit. All it has going for it is the venue really, so buying a badge is a waste.

At Samuraicon, but there is no one here. They really should have advertised better to promote themselves rather than put down Ohayocon. Not having a dance was a mistake too.

Shumatsucon is tiny and pretty uneventful. Young crowd, not too many nice cosplays because of the young crowd. Not worth a badge right now. Maybe in a few years when they grow. Ghost it.

Kabochacon is the same boat at Shumatsu. Tokyo Attack has some fun games, which made the weekend fun, but not worth getting a hotel room or badge. Just ghost.
>>
>>9319816
Main Animania was a piece of fucking shit even 12 y/o me knew it was a waste of money
>>
Shadocon 2015 was kind of a letdown for me. Not a lot to do, really spread out halls, not a really impressive line of guests. The only interesting thing was that these guys set up some kind of ninja warrior obstacle course on the land that seemed pretty legit, but everyone and their mother was using it throughout the weekend so It felt like there were too many people on it. The only good thing about the con was that it was my birthday weekend and I had a nice dinner and drinks with some friends and had a really engaging conversation with Hawkmon's voiceactor. I don't think I'll be going back to any Shadocon in the future.
>>
>>9319804

That's disappointing. I went once from out of state in 2012 and it was really fun.

Being an Asian in an anime con full of white people made me feel like hot shit.

Also the Kaiju battles in the wrestling ring was unique. Don't think I've seen that kind of thing at any other con.
>>
>>9319742
Sakura Con 2015

It's really my fault, it was my first and likely last anime con since it made me realize I don't like attending as an attendee - I'd have more fun being an AA artist. I went to check out the hype for one day, and realized it's just not for me.
>>
File: IMG_0008.jpg (36KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0008.jpg
36KB, 259x194px
Camden comic con. Its free but it almost feels like a waste of time, if it werent for the old comics for sale,its ok dealers room and artist alley, people to take pictures of,cosplay contest and some interesting panels here and there, it's honestly a better con to take your kids to if all things are considered.

Nycc too but thats because it was my first year and I underestimated the panel times and lines.the dbz meetup was cool though and they had some nice cosplayers to take pictures of.
>>
Nihon Expo/Fest, when the only reason why people go is for the WOTA fans and nothing else you got a massive problem.

Runner up was Halloween Expo.
>>
Another Anime Con 2016.

Shit was hot garbage, except for one panel on tabletop gaming. Cosplay was meh, venue was meh, attendees were ok, and they had the elevator Nazis checking room keys before they'd let you on. I probably won't go next year.
>>
>>9319742
>Fandomfest '13 and '14 in Louisville
Delays, panels cancelled or moved, very unpleasant staff to deal with.
>A&G con '16
Just seemed like nobody wanted to be there. Poor DJs, sparse paneling, the whole con seemed like an afterthought.

I've done many cons that i enjoyed, but wouldn't spend the money on if given the second chance... but with that said, the two above are still the only two I would consider flat out wastes of money.
>>
>>9319847
Yeah. Now I have to venture to Atlanta to get my huge-con fix.
>>
>>9319822
Yeah ohayocon is the worse the center sucks and is right next to the ghetto and there's nothing to do at fucking all. Whats even the point of buying the badge if they don't check it at the door?
>>
>>9319746
Seconding Anime USA. That was my first time attending and it will be my last. Absolutely dead con, almost nobody there in the morning or late at night, poor programming, waste of money and hotel room.
>>
>>9319805
People only go there for beach photoshoots and lack of other cons in the area during that time of year.
>>
File: DSC_0015.jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0015.jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
Terracon
There were more DDR pads than visitors.
>>
>>9320518
I love DDR, but people are smelly enough as it is. I don't want people sweating even more.
>>
>>9319812

Is this a joke? I'm going to my first anime north this year and I'm beyond excited
>>
supanova every fucking year.
>>
Little con in Missouri going into it's third year now titled Sausomecon.

It got lucky and had a good first year despite the cringe inducing name!

Second year in it was an absolute shit show in just about every way imaginable. Day of con panels rescheduled all across the board, artist alley stuck in the back row of main events for some fucking reason??? Cosplay contest announcer making terrible jokes or straight up lewd comments about contestants (I'm going to be thinking of that peach cosplayer tonight when I'm alone in my hotel room!) and to take the cake a little bit -too- unironic baby pool ball pit.
>>
Anime California 2016 really screwed the pooch. I loved it for being a backyard hotel party con for the previous couple years.

2016 they tried to go too large and fucked it all up by renting out LBCC, and the con was legit worse, and made logistics a nightmare (I worked staff this time, bad idea.)

The people "in charge" wanted to be in charge in name only, but not actually handle anything that required responsibility. It was a fuckfest.

I also had to babysit a borderline autist girl the entire weekend.
>>
>>9320798
I'm sad that Anime California is now dead. Its first year in 2014 was pretty damn fun for a first year con. Met a lot of gulls there that I still talk to.
>>
This past Otakon. Way too hot, not very impressive panels (the ones I wanted to go to filled up way too quickly, too), and I had a lot of people duck out of the room so it ended up costing a LOT more than anticipated. Might not go this next year, not at $80 for the badge.
>>
Otronicon in Orlando. It used to be a halfway decent gaming con held at the Orlando Science Center, with things ranging from a huge room of arcade machines to fighting game tournaments and LAN parties. Something changed though. I used to go with my friends since about 2008/9, and it slowly started to shift the emphasis from "THREE DAYS OF HARDCORE GAMING" to "Here's how video games are changing the defense and medical sector", with a whole floor being dedicated to companies like Lockheed and Orlando Regional Medical showing off how a gamer like you can get a totally rad job. Hell, there was even this champagne doused circle jerk of corporate execs and city chairmen the day before it opened to the public.

Last time we went, which think was 2013 or 2014, the arcade room had shriveled up to about the size of a broom closet, the PC gaming room was no more, the aforementioned corporate floor, half a level of EA sports, and overall disappointment. There was also this brony DJ who had an audience of about three.

I haven't been since, and I can only dread what it was like this year.
>>
Blackpool Comic Con was such a fiasco that it ended up in the local papers. The runners declared bankruptcy immediately after.
>>
>>9319799
Which one? The one in Richmond, VA last year wasn't too bad
>>
>>9319742
Marscon 2017. Williamsburg, VA THey pride themselves as being the longest running sci-fi con in VA, but its just trash.
>>
>>9319742
Every con in Spain.
>>
Sac anime
literally crawling with cringe
and it was tiny and not enough panels to keep me interested and the dealers hall/ artist alley was absolute shit as well as the game room lacking. The last one was so chilly outside with the alternative being sweaty inside with a bunch of kids too excited for the con.
>>
Aki-con. Don't remember the exact year but it was black mold bucket year. Didn't get a wink of sleep because my roommates all snored and I was sleeping on a couch a foot and a half too short for me. Everyone I knew bailed on me and left me alone in a hotel full of strangers. Severely burned my tongue on a KFC Famous Bowl. Never again.
>>
anime north keeps being a mistake but i keep going every year
>>
>>9319812
What the fuck was wrong about it? It was great.
>>
>>9319818
Nice b8. This years programming was actually not bad. It had some good panels and the location of course always makes it more fun.

The only shitty part was the rave
>>
Ohayocon this year. I'll be ghosting from now on. The other 2 bigger Ohio cons are cool though.
>>
>>9320202
>next the the ghetto

>con center is next to the downtown business district/ arena district and butts up against the short north which is super gentrified.

Ok buddy.
>>
>>9322775
>next to the ghetto

Hahahahahahhahahahahaha
>>
File: 1481945713257.png (237KB, 600x564px) Image search: [Google]
1481945713257.png
237KB, 600x564px
MCM in London.
Been consistently going for the past three years and just watched it get progressively more shittier, crowded and commercialized.
>2 Guests out of 35 were anime related
Also closing off half of the fucking venue was an excellent idea. Really top class stuff to have everyone crammed together.
Dealers slipping through the net with bootleg stuff.
Faggot cosplayers following businessmen on their way to work in the venue then complaining when they get irate.
>MCM orgy last year was 14 guys and 2 girls
They can't even do that right.
>>
Otakon this year was horrible. My group was berated by staff for drinking and they stole all of our booze.
>>
>>9322880
>>MCM orgy last year was 14 guys and 2 girls
>>
SacAnime is literally the worst con I've ever been to. I imagine it might not suck if you're between the ages of 11-14, but for anyone else it's a nightmare
>>
>>9323337
Well don't drink in the open, you fucking dummy.
Vodka and water bottles.
>>
>>9323675
Agreed
>>
>>9322739
>>9319822
>mfw i only go to colossalcon for the rave
w e lp
>>
>>9323337
>confiscated
"Stole" implys they mugged you and forcefully took your alcohol. Where in this case you were being a Jack ass clearing breaking community rules.
>>
>>9322795
Im sorry you live in corn fields and anything larger then a village is a dangerous scary city to you.
>>
>>9323348
It fell through, obviously. Not a single one of them can fucking plan for shit so as soon as the girls found out they have 14 guys (with some questionably older guys in their late 50s) they understandably left.
>>
Animazement every year. It seems like 50% of the con are just random families who have no idea what anime is but came to gawk at the congoers. The panels suck, the main events are poorly organized, the convention hall always feels full even though not that many people attend, etc. I'm going again this year so the jokes on me I guess. I live close enough not to book a hotel room at least.
>>
>>9320518
now that's just sad
>>
KamiCon 2016. My friend and I started going when I was 13, and we are 19 now. When we first went it was the greatest thing ever. Ever subsequent year has been worse and worse. I think it's one of those conventions that can only be enjoyed if you're a 12-15 year old who enjoys LARPing Homestuck/Hetalia/Steven Universe.
The cringe highlight of last year was the vocaloid concert.
>started nearly an hour late
>the people who put on the concert couldn't animate for shit - they used old MMD models and there was tons of clipping
>there were only 2 small speakers in a concert hall, so nobody could hear the music
>the people putting on the show slipped in their own vocaloid OCs and UTAUloids at least 4 times, while popular vocaloids such as Meiko, Kaito, Gakupo did not get a single song
>everyone smelled bad
>they played fucking CARAMELLDANSEN at the end - not even a vocaloid version, they had the con mascots singing it
>when someone brought up all these complaints on /cgl/, the people who put on the show came onto the thread to defend themselves saying "well everyone else really loved it, people were dancing and singing, you're just jealous you can't animate, the show was perfect"

we still laugh about it. Long story short, it's a good kiddie con but you outgrow it real fast.
>>
>>9324814
Just wanted to say, this year is looking like it's gonna be pretty legit, though. I think they got the memo after last year and fixed their shit (here's hoping).
>>
>>9324827
I have to agree. I am wondering if there's any way I can get Yuu Asakawa's autograph just by ghosting. I don't feel like shelling out the money until I know they've gotten their shit together
>>
File: 1434875306358.png (134KB, 500x453px) Image search: [Google]
1434875306358.png
134KB, 500x453px
>>9324835
>I am wondering if there's any way I can get Yuu Asakawa's autograph just by ghosting.

Unless you're really damn good at ninjaing your way into events without anyone noticing, I kinda doubt it. Used to be that if you didn't have a badge, you could still just kinda wander around as long you didn't try to enter the dealers room or any panels. Now, they're instituting a new policy where you must have a badge to go anywhere past entrance/registration.

And I hate to be a moralfag, but honestly, though? Attendance for Kami is at like 5,000 I think, still a bit on the small side for a con; it's not like AWA or some shit. Ghosting might actually be detrimental to the con and is kind of a shitty thing to do.
>>
File: D72_8316.jpg (233KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
D72_8316.jpg
233KB, 1000x666px
>>9320728
i want to believe the new venue made it worse, given the horrible layout. too bad they're having it at the same place again this year.
>>
>>9319894
A&G's issue is the panels got all sorts of fucked up. They told people doing 18+ panels that they had to do them during the day and make them 'family friendly'.
They also tried to be a party con and a regular con but failed pretty hard. At the rave they had maybe 2 black lights and were marking underage girls with a yellow highlighter X on their hand. If you were caught dancing near one of these girls they kicked you out of the rave.
>>
>>9324130
Fuck the con, shoot at the Raulston Arboretum, profit.
>>
Connecticon '16
> Got a new Con head who made convention hours 9am-9pm
> Because of this, had a handful of 18+ panels. Most being "Guide to hentai"
>The other panels were shit like "Gender in anime" "Steven Universe!!" "Queers in anime"
>Main events are always skits that contain the same 4 people over and over each year. Have shitty fandom of the month plots.
>Staff is always rude and have no how to organize.
>> At some point during the con, I was having a severe anxiety attack to the point I couldn't breathe
>>My friend and little brother had to carry me to the help desk to ask were first aid was
>>Help desk didnt know where first aid was.
>Had a "dance party" (NOT A RAVE!!1!) three blocks away from the con in a really bad neighborhood.

Connecticon is my local Con and because of that I don't expect much. But holy hell was this year awful.
The highlight of my weekend was that trip to the hospital where they gave me Xanax to calm me down.

I have such nostalgia for it, but I'm just watching as its slowly burning to the ground.
>>
Acen 2016. Ive been going for about 3 or so years but holy shit was I bored. Once you go to 1 Acen youve been to them all. Money spent on my hotel room, solo at that, could have sent me to something new.
>>
>>9324814
They harass our show to book them. I saw that video which I cringed hard. They would have to pay us to perform.
>>
Pensacon is always shit, tries to run its vendors out of business by not allowing them to vend if they vend at any other con in the area and tells girls who were groped or assaulted at their con to get over it and stop being "over dramatic".
>>
Jigoku in Argentina.

>It's not so much a con, as a bunch of sweaty fat weebs/weebettes spending all night """dancing""" to anime OP/EDs and edgy metal songs
>They tried to sell it as some sort of con though, though, so I was suprissed when I got in there
>Literally two stalls selling some bootleg merch
>Bar with something close to a 400% markup
>It's mid-summer and we turned off the plumbing to the sink in the bathroom in case you got desperate, goyim, so you better have money for bottled water!
>Dragonball OP came on and all the sudden these nerds start going berserk, form some sort of mosh pit in the middle of the hall
>My dumb asshole friends who dragged me here in the first place pushed me in, my glasses almost got stomped on (getting down low to the ground was dangerous but I wasn't about to let them break my fucking glasses), and I lost a shoe which took a good 10 minutes to get back
>They projected an uncensored version of Rammstein's "Buch Dich" onto the main hall's wall in 200-inch glory; all hell broke lose, you could see sweaty greasy hamplanets of both genders trying to cannibalize each other, groping all around, a girl I'd never seen started groping on me and I had to tell her to stop, friends called me fag

I wanted to leave half an hour after I got there (midnight) but I was about 50 miles from home and the buses we used wouldn't run until 6AM.

Almost as bad an experience as trying to hike up a sierra in 40C heat with the worst hangover of my life. Almost.
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
>The con that I run isn't listed
>Feels pretty good
>>
I went to Naka-kon, Nebraskon, Anime Fest Wichita and Sausomecon in 2016.
Naka was the only GOOD con and the programming felt lackluster.
I got to meet some cute Seagulls at 3/4 so I ain't even mad
>>9320728
Yeah m8, Sausomecon suucckkkkeedd
But I'm still going again (if it happens)
>>
>>9322880
MCM is a normie expo, don't expect big anime stars man
>>
Anime Next 2016. Enough said
>>
This past Ichibancon in NC. Too many people and pretty much the exact same dealers and panels as last time. They need to move and get out of their "we're a small con with small con stuff" mentality because they haven't been "small" for the past couple of years.
>>
Animaine 2014
first and last time
>staff circlejerk
>6000 sqft, tiny hotel
>con/hotel isolated off freeway
>walkable amenities are gas stations, convenience store
>artist alley + game room were the same room, divider was the stairs
>badge checked passing through every entrance/exit
>lighting inside hotel was yellow and danky
>young crowd mostly
>no notable guests besides greg ayres
>had a better time hitting the geek bar in old port afterwards

their website and mascot are nice, but that's it's.
>>
>>9330468
Ichibancon was my worst con of 2016. Didn't go this year because I knew it would be more of the same.

I stayed for maybe five hours on Saturday because it was boring. I spent half of that time talking to an artist in AA because there was really nobody there. I felt like it was crowded but mostly because the hotel is small as hell. Most people didn't seem to be doing much of anything and the cosplays weren't even good enough for me to take a lot of photos. Seems more geared to a younger crowd.

I definitely felt like it was a waste of my money. I don't know if moving to a bigger venue would help but it would certainly be nice to have a larger AA and Dealer's Room. Definitely agree about more guests and better panels.
>>
>>9329625
Ah, you went to one of those Jigoku "party" at night.
I am sorry you had such a bad expierence
Mostly any con in Argentina (if not most of LA) are disappointing (Mostercon) . The Jardin Japones and Comicopolis (It isn't an anime con but still) are the only ones I am going right now because
>fresh air
>sunlight
>enough space to avoid the fat weebs
I used to go to the Anime Friends as a tradition but i haven't go last year and idk if I will go this one.
>>
>>9323675
Oh god this. My ex-GF got roped into judging their masq once and it was one of the worst times either of us had ever had at a con.

Among other travesties, some kids ran up behind us and tried to yank our wigs off our heads.
>>
>>9319810
Wait, someone else ACTUALLY attended that? I had to double-take and make sure I didn't drunkenly post in this thread already and forget about it.

Is it even still going?
>>
>>9319849
Sakura was the con that made me realize that I actually hate anime fans
>>
>>9330956
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5lz2CYNR4
>>
Ptarmicon.
Costs 35 bucks or something like that for a 2 day pass, there were a few make things panels that were 30 and 85 respectively, the game room was a bunch of shitters playing smash, and the dealers room was pathetic.
there was a local fujoshit bjd collector with a table of overpriced shit, local crafter with shitty clay things, local artist and webcomic guy selling prints, a cosplay couple from out of town with overpriced shit who were also running the crafting panels, a horror author who no one knew, a cool local guy selling well priced comics both old and new, and some bitch selling yarn.

The only upside was the tabletop room, where we had about 20 tables to play at, and a huge table just covered in games and sourcebooks to try out.
>>
>>9329625
Oh man, sounds like that "con" lives up to its name. ("Jigoku" means "hell" for anybody who doesn't know.)
>>
>>9330958
Don't even have to see the thumbnail to know what that is
>>
>>9320798
>>9321046

Anime California was a tragic example of a small first time con done right, only to have its staff ruin it from the inside out and eventually killing the con that could have been a great post-AX blues cure.
>>
>>9319834
You won't be able to since it's probably not going to run this year. lol
>>
>>9330958
I'm baffled, but at the same time not surprised, that Vic Lasagna apparently directed this commercial.
>>
did literally no one else complain about ax2016?
everything was a mess, I went to multiple panels that had promised free things/giveaways/etc in the description (ie: blue exorcist) and they handed out nothing/ no apologies which is whatever but that was just the beginning.
The FLCL panel was the worst bit I'd say, my friends and I had waited 6 hours outside only to only be let in near the end of it because apparently it was a non-clear room. 1) why was a panel that important/popular in a non-clear room 2) why tell hundreds of people to wait in line for a panel that only about 50 of those people got into
also, since it was in that room the free posters went to the people who had just decided to stay in there because obviously who would leave. salt 10/10
but that's not even where it ends, someone had told us that the room upstairs where you get the 18+ wristbands were taking down names and complaints about it so we did the thing and never heard back since, I even wrote a lengthy complaint on the ax website about how they ran the con and didnt get a response lol.
There's a bunch of other things too that i'm omitting because that was total bs regarding FLCL.
I had heard that there was new management so that probably explains everything.
>>
>>9329402
Haha yeah.
I never think CTcon can get any worse but every year it does.
>>9330319
It felt so.. empty. There weren't even any really good cosplayers (Save for a couple of really adorable Lutece twins) But IMO the location was nice, the venue was beautiful, and the guests were good. Hopefully it'll build up more attendance in coming years, I think it had pretty good potential, but I see what you mean anon.
>>
>>9331354

AX is massive enough that technically speaking multiple people could get through all weekend without ever bumping into each other or attending the same events. Therefore their experiences will all sound like completely different cons.

Your fandom's events must have just not been the greatest this year.
>>
>>9331354
this is going to shock you but most times in life you don't get answers to your complaints. what were you expecting?
>>
>>9331354

this sound like it was your first con or something.

also
>my friends and I had waited 6 hours outside

you gave up a whole fucking day of AX for that shit FLCL panel? that's just horrible con planning on your part.
>>
>>9322880
MCM was never an anime con though
>>
AX2016..
No one told me the line outside is literally not the line to get into the con, nearly ded from heatstroke but those exclusives made it worth going all on its own. Worst run con I've ever been to, still had fun.
>>
File: ASUX registration.jpg (113KB, 1107x759px) Image search: [Google]
ASUX registration.jpg
113KB, 1107x759px
>>9332465
>AX2008-Present day
>Worst run con I've ever been to

fixed.
>>
>>9319742
>A con that genuinely made you feel was a genuine waste of cash

Any first-time evar con startups that has a table fee (which if you do the math) costs more $/hour table fee than establish cons with an expected attendance rate versus unknown attendee aka resident locals. And calling it more affordable than said current establish con to the AA.

So I want to rant since it didn't add up when I was told it be more "affordable" in my face, when I heard in my head questionable attendance, 5 hours, $60 fee and near certainty it will be the same more or less the same crowd, well even less since it became geared to mostly those that have nothing else to do that night which equals they won't be spending and the same artist work more or less. Anyway I didn't go and I told that to some others, but still annoyed by that notion of fee=affordable. I did look up that room they rented and saw it went for $500 for the night, presumbly there were apx. 30 tables sold or near that amount + entrance fee so these guys made a little over 2K just by saying "hey everyone, pay us to sit around here with your stuff" for 5 hours and leave.

/end rant

Next time I'll ask, how is that affordable again?
>>
>>9319804
it super sucks for me now because i just know too many damn people there and theres always a fuckton of drama. thats what i get for going to hs in nashville.
>>
>>9319816
Animaga probably won't be around soon after how Madman gutted it by being on at the same time period. I did like it when I went in 2015 though.

Smash has this weird feeling, I dunno. I don't spend much on artist alley stuff and a lot of the panels seem low quality. I like how they have an outdoor area but at the same time it's kind of an inconvenient location for someone like me that doesn't live in Sydney. At least the guests are alright. Most other cons don't even bother with anime guests, or they only get dub guests which most people don't care about.

Speaking of - I'm done with Supanova. Same thing every year and I'm sick of running the gauntlet being elbowed in the ribs constantly. I'm not really an autograph collector and at most I'll buy a shirt or a figure that's a bit harder to find.

So far, only cons I've liked are the smaller ones. Went to Haven and Level Up last year (think Level Up has rebranded to something else this year - Nexus I think) and I enjoyed how they felt more welcoming and comfortable. Level Up had this zombie room thing with smoke machines and laser tag. Was pretty impressed. Hope it's back this year.

>>9319824
Yeah, agreed. I went for many years and it was great when it was at Town Hall but it really went downhill after they went out to Redfern. I complained about the bootlegging problem every year on their forum and warned them that people wouldn't keep going or supporting the con if they didn't fix it. Guess they learnt the hard way.
>>
>>9330240

Hey! I went to this thread looking for someone to say AFW lmao. It's been pretty shit for a few years now honestly
>>
>>9333072
Animagas websites currently down for maintenance, so I'm assuming it'll be running this year again. I'm excited to see if it'll be as terrible as it was last year or if they'll actually use the space they have.
>>
>>9319746
>>9320260
Third on AUSA. I only went because a friend offered a staff position, so glad I didnt pay for a badge or hotel for that shit.
>>
>>9319746
>>9320260
>>9333271
AUSA is the little con that could. That poor con is stuck between Otakon and Katsucon schedule wise.
>>
>>9333271
I noticed an influx of people going for 2016. I think the hype was mainly friends going, but when the con was over, a lot of them regretted going and that it was dead. What exactly is the appeal of AUSA that people would fly to it?
Any other east con wrecks?
>>
>>9330601

It's, I dunno, stagnant. A lot of Carolina cons are like that. Even the ones over in Columbia suffer from the same problems and that's a much larger city with a pretty sizeable 20-something population because of USC.

Hell, when I actually bothered to go to a bunch of local cons a few years back when I lived in Columbia, I noticed I saw the same people at every one. Every con was pretty much the same thing, just in a different location.
>>
>>9330601
>>9333799
Besides MAYBE AZ, Carolina cons seem to be stuck with younger crowds and shitty programming. It doesn't feel like anyone is really bringing it to grow their con. I think a Charlotte convention could really grow to be a bigger event like on a Otakon or AWA scale but no one seems to be stepping it up.
>>
>>9333874
AZ definitely falls under that as well
>>
>>9333799
>>9333874
>>9333898
I started going to more local cons last year and I was pretty disappointed with most of them except for Oak City Comicon.

None of the organizers seem willing to do anything new. I want to check out some that I missed last year but I'm not very hopeful. Might be better off going to neighboring cons like Dragon and AWA
>>
>>9333072
Another anon was complaining that Goldnova left them with burst stitches the last time they went and got shoved around.

Tbh I'm done with it too. I'm not even sure they have first aid half the time which is always a big concern. Few years ago a contestant fell off the back of the stage (they had a curtain but no railing behind it or any warning for the contestants) and they left her lying there on the floor for ages with no help. Poor lady was hospitalised for months and I heard Supanova put her through hell for years after with getting the insurance money to her.
>>
Every single Arizona anime convention. I'd rather go to Texas or California.
>>
>>9332504
>AX2008-present
>Not AX2007

Seriously, '07 was the clusterfuck to end all clusterfucks. It was so bad that nearly the entire staff resigned and the whole con reorganized. I was SPJA staff (not AX staff but year-round at HQ) for a while and everybody just tongue in cheek denied that '07 had ever happened.
>>
File: 513647251200634.jpg (79KB, 617x491px) Image search: [Google]
513647251200634.jpg
79KB, 617x491px
>>9319742
all of them
>>
>>9329490
http://www.pnj.com/story/news/crime/2015/10/07/pensacon-ceo-arrested/73507584/

Old story but I'm not surprised.
>>
>>9333072
What was Supanova like?
>>
>>9334335
I was an attendee at 07. I had a "decent" due to some great cosplay gatherings.

What exactly happened on the SPJA side of things? Even as an attendee, I had a good ear to the ground from being a long time AX goer that some shit happened with the Teamsters Union that worked the convention center.

Got any extra info?
>>
Comic Excitement. Never heard of it? No one else has either. More of an empty parking lot than a con.
>>
>>9333466
ALA ( I know wrong coast), fuck man the southern cons (Icchibana con) are better. It just.. .I don't know.

>>9333763
Same, I went because people I knew said it was good, and yeah, it was well... hot garbage, loved the photography, 10/10 but as a con when the tiny AMA con is better in my podunk part of Virginia, you have a problem (in terms of con stuff)
>>
Colossalcon 2016

So sick of every con in Ohio sharing all the same panelists who never bring anything new to the table. I enjoyed the idol and Toonami panels cuz at least I don't see those at every other con and that's about it.

I also got cussed out by a drunk staffer who crashed into me and fucked up my cosplay and another staffer had to drag him away before I knocked his ass on the floor. They literally have no fucking integrity anymore.

Colossalcon had its good years but I feel like staff are getting lax and it's starting to get ugly.
>>
>>9339624
>So sick of every con in Ohio sharing all the same panelists who never bring anything new to the table.

That's a fault of the community and not the con. If no one is submitting anything new then the con can't feature it
>>
>>9339683
Cons need to know to pussy up money to bring in out of state panelists or pay for original content and freshen up the stale schedule.
>>
>>9330319
I wanted to go to Anime Next this year, is it not worth it since the move?
>>
Pax South
>>
>>9339695
How often to people go to the con for panels? I like them too but I don't think they're a huge money draw.

People go to cons for the venue, hang out with friends, main events and guests. Why drop money in an area that is not as popular?

A con having crappy guests, main events and a venue does way more for me than a lack of panels I like
>>
>>9339695
I also want to add that many people here wish cons get rid of fan panels and opt to have my industry related stuff so paying extra money for fans to fly in is just double stupid
>>
>>9329450
I think acen 2016 was just bland in particular, they didn't really have anything great like the years in the past. Hopefully that changes this year and the guest list is legit.
>>
>>9339839
Fan panels can actually be great if they're well prepared, I find it's way too easy most times to apply for panels and they end up letting people who have no idea what they're doing run things.
>>
>>9334335
>>9338056
Story time?
>>
boston comicon is fucking horrible, i haven't been for two years so maybe its improved but at least when I went it was small, overcrowded, and had no good programming or cosplay
>>
>>9329402
Yeah, it's definitely burning to the ground. Literally the only reason I go to CTCon is because it's local. It's relatively cheap since I don't have to get a hotel room and I get to see a ton of my friends. I have absolutely no idea why people come from out of state to go. (Though I will never stop being amused by people who attend without realizing what a shithole Hartford is -- like the people who were shocked that someone got mugged a few years back. Like... sorry your perception of the city is based entirely on Gilmore Girls, but you're wrong, and don't walk through downtown at night.)

>>9330319
Really? I thought I recalled quite a few people on here saying they thought it was actually an improvement over past years. I was thinking of going this year for the first time in a decade.
>>
>>9341004

If there were any other New England cons close to that weekend, nobody would come. I definitely don't get why people from NY come up
>>
SummonersCon but I guess that's what I get for going to a league convention
>>
PCC is pretty sad but probably the best con Arizona has. But after going to SDCC and other california cons, it probably is why PCC lost its sparkle for me. Cons with maid cafes bother me. Those things are not even remotely entertaining unless your a creepy mouth breather.
>>
>>9331354

I didnt go to that panel or plan on it but honestly i agree with you. AX needs to limit badge numbers because 100k+ people is ridiulous now. Panels listed as 18+ suddenly turn into 21+ panels at last minute because of popularity and long lines. Why would I attend a panel that half my friends cant suddenly attend because it was turned into 21+ at last minute?

Also A LOT of panels have turned into 3+ hr long lines if you want to get in. Last year of Anime Hell, which everyone can watch on youtube for free, had a maxed out room and a 2 hr wait line. Waaaay too many panels and shows now have 3 hr waits if you want to get in. AX needs to set a fucking limit on badge numbers because im seriously considering ghosting even though i have bought badge for AX for the past 9 years. I can only see 2 or 3 panels a day because of wait lines or filled rooms. Even with premiere badges there are wait times wtf

Too many people, starting to become not worth the time.

The only thing they fixed was Line Con over the years. I can pick up my badge faster than getting into any of their panels even obscure unpopular ones.
>>
NemaCon was a clusterfuck each and every year it ran
>>
>>9319745
Lol mfw it was my best con ever
Perspective I guess lol
>>
Paris Comic Con 2015.

French comic con used to be very good until 2013 back when it was coupled with Japan Expo, but both have been separated and keep getting shittier since.

The organisation was awful, you couldn't see anyone for signing if you hadn't got special tickets to get in early, security broke a lot of cosplay props while making sure that they were not real weapon, all the shops were shit, it was small as fuck, had a limited number of ticket but they didn't say anything about that until the last ones were gone, security was piss poor (someone got a teargas grenade to get off close to the entrance while trying to neutralize it, some congoers definitively felt it), and it has apparently gotten worse since.

France worst con by far.
>>
>>9336583
I dunno about last year but it's kind of boring. It's all become about the vendors now and they're overpriced garbage most of the time. You have to squeeze through the vendor hall if you want to get anywhere (especially in Sydney) and it's extremely claustrophobic - not helped by them closing off most exits.

The quality of guests feel like they've gotten that little bit worse each year. Also, you have heaps of disgruntled SJW types who attack the con over every little thing and try to force stuff onto them. At the same time it's attracted way too much attention from the mainstream so you get heaps of rude idiots and dudebros who don't understand cosplay. They either treat you like you're a Disney face that can babysit their kids, or you're a booth babe that's meant to flirt with everyone (although in that second case Sexpo, which is also pretty mainstream and something dudebros go to, hasn't helped with educating people ever since they added cosplay to their advertisements).

Overall, it's just gotten boring. Especially to an anime fan. There's barely any anime stuff now outside of the artist alley but the mainstream crowd keeps complaining there's too much so it's basically become the Marvel and DC show.
>>
>>9342591
Oh, and I don't think Supanova does fan panels any longer. It's basically all panels from the minor guests and then question sessions from the bigger ones. Sometimes the major ones don't do a thing at all. There's barely any interactive activities now which is quite sad.
>>
>>9340142
I went this past ear and they year before and it hasn't gotten better. In fact this year was worse. They closed off even more space so it was even more cramped.
>>
>>9319745
Yeah, it felt really, tame? Watered down? Maybe its because I didn't have any friends to hang out with.
>>
>>9341004
Anon, I'm creeping but it sounds like you're from CT? I need some seagull friends, would you wanna drop contact?
>>
colossalcon last year man, the scene is getting bad. im used to getting some shit at every con I go to for cosplaying while black, but last two years have been brutal. my group got heckled no less than five times over the whole weekend for cosplaying as light skinned characters and for just being black, racial slurs, ugly looks, getting shunned at photo shoots... my friend actually got cornered and she was scared someone was gonna start layin hands. she went to security and they didnt take her seriously...

i mean... not the cons fault but this crowd they attracting isnt fuckin fun anymore.
>>
>>9329402
If you want to give feedback about panels, the department head is pretty open about how he runs things compared to most anime con staff.
http://forum.frontrowcrew.com/discussion/10149/connecticon-2016
>>
Futurecon.
>>
>>9342798
Yep, I'm from CT! Sure. My throwaway email is catsandsewing at gmail.
>>
>>9320202
There's ghettos in Ohio...??????
>>
>>9319799
>>9322121
The one is Chicago is full of jews and bullshit.
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.