[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

College Cosplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (272KB, 1185x628px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
272KB, 1185x628px
Hey /cgl/, got curious about this subject:
How many of you are in college and cosplay?
How do you deal with budget and time constraints as a result of college?
What are you working on in your free time?
What college or state do you go to?
Majors?
>>
>>9318158
Thinly veiled project survey.
>>
>>9318164
I was actually going to include that this is not for a project, but I figured people will assume it is anyways lmao
>>
File: Poping tags.gif (931KB, 500x281px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Poping tags.gif
931KB, 500x281px
>>9318158
If you can, get it at a thrift shop.
>>
>>9318158
get a sugar daddy and commission cosplays with funds
>>
>>9318158
I deal with time and budget by mostly thrifting and buying cosplays nowadays.

I guess I'm working on a mad max death crossover cosplay in my free time rn.

I go to UT Austin and my major is Psych + Premed
>>
>How do you deal with budget and time constraints as a result of college?
I make everything during breaks and on weekends, it helps having really simple cosplays. I also work two jobs and took a gap year working a full time job as a manager to save up.
>What are you working on in your free time?
Right now I'm working on 3 cosplays, 4 if I'm able to get a TAP award for this upcoming semester, all from JJBA.
>What college or state do you go to?
I go to a community college in Western NY, it's cheaper and I plan on transferring to a local four-year that has my major once I complete my associates.
>Majors?
Graphic Design right now, New Media Design once I transfer.
>>
Im at GCSU for graphic design.
I want to start working on a cosplay but im stuck between a few ideas
>>
>>9318158
BWU student?
>>
>>9318164
what kind of shitty ass survey project surveys max 30 people who self select to be in an Internet community
>>
I actually have more time and money than a did before college. My main problem at the moment is that I have like two tools so I have to find the time to go back home if I want to make anything that's not made out of fabric.

I go to a European university/college that I'm not going to name and I'm a business student.
>>
>>9318158
is that umass
>>
>>9318158
I'm pretty good at budgeting and scrounging up resources, so I never really run into any problems. I get most of my fabric by scrapping cheap thrift store clothing, and I get really cheap equipment and materials from the Engineering and Architecture colleges so I never have to buy hardware or crafting materials. Currently working on Griffith from Berserk, my first full armor project.

Right now doing a double major in international affairs and public policy, minor in civil engineering.
>>
>>9318158
>How many of you are in college and cosplay?
currently in college and I'm both a lolita and cosplayer, although cosplay has less priority than lolita atm.

I work part time and I get paid well enough that I can afford to buy cosplay materials and lolita in addition to paying for my own food, transportation costs, and normie clothes.

Time has been harder to manage. I prioritize school projects above everything else and most of them are extremely time consuming. I wear lolita more often than I cosplay because of this, since I can just throw a coord on and go.

I work and do sports outside of school so that's where most of my free time is going right now... I'm trying to get back into the swing of things and I just bought the wigs and fabric for my 2 next cosplays.

I'm at an art school in California.

>Majors?
Fashion design
>>
>>9318158
I'm only taking a couple classes a semester so it's not super busy. I also have a part time job to make a little money. No bills yet(live at home still), so I have some spending money to use on cosplay.
What are you working on in your free time?
Besides cosplay, trying to start my own etsy store to sell plushies.
What college or state do you go to? Community college somewhere in Texas.
Majors?
Computer science, might minor in something silly like medieval history.
>>
I only have a job in the summer and make money in the school year by doing art commissions and selling my old stuff. I have big motivation issues, but I try to keep my schedule open, so when I have the urge to work on a costume I drop as much of the other stuff as I can to do it.
Art. Writing for a webshow. Have had to restructure my cosplay plans for my budget, so thankfully I have something pretty simple in the pipeline now. I'm part of a local dance comm and have been losing weight.
I'm in the IU system.
>>
>>9318158
4th year in college. I don't personally cosplay a lot, but make them for my girlfriend.

Time Management. Important for everything. Cosplay is just another hobby to manage my time with. I also have a job on campus to pay for stuff.

I manage and help several clubs on campus or make some web applications.

Western NY

>Majors?
Web & Android Programming
>>
>>9319022
Anon where do you go? I live in Central New York and need a gull friend.
>>
Have a monthly allowance for cosplay related purchases. Mine is at $30/month but I'll save it when not using it on anything for the next month.
As for time, work on cosplays the first half of each semester when possible and want to. Only work on cosplays during second half of semesters when it takes a really short time. Like one layer of paint every week or so.

Low difficulty cosplays that can be done in many parts so every hour that I spend on it is useful.

University of Applied Sciences Utrecht, The Netherlands

>Majors?
Don't really know how to translate into English: Multidisciplinary Safety Studies
>>
>>9322081
I'm at MCC! Always happy to meet other Upstate NY people.
>>
>>9322169
'eeeey MCC.
Wonder if I know you.
>>
During the school year, I buy the majority of my cosplays since I don't have a lot of time to spare. I work two jobs, so money isn't as huge of an issue as time, but I still limit myself to one costume max per semester.

Mostly small projects that don't take too much time or space, like accessories or styling wigs.

I go to a university in Boston

>Majors?
Psychology with a minor in Japanese
>>
Too lazy to greentext on mobile

Budget: I work part time so that covers cost in addition to food. My mom and grandmother used to sew a lot so we have a trove of nice old fabrics that I try to use up rather than buying new material. I also coupon obsessively.

Time: I should really cosplay less but I try to limit myself to one large cosplay project per semester. Once I graduate in May I'm taking a long break until I get settled in employment.

Free time: All of my friends are really deep in cosplay, so it's pretty much all we do that isn't based around classwork. I'm develping a game and paint a lot but that's my senior capstone project.

College: I go to art school on the east coast.

Majors: I'm in a commercial arts type of major with a focus in visual development.
>>
>>9318158
I work through my university and do commissions. Time is my biggest issue since i'm currently enrolled in 24 credit hours and spend about 29 hours a week in class on an easy week and will be spending about 60 hours a week in class at my peak. So basically, I overcome time constraints by managing my time well and not sleeping, haha.
A lot of commissions and some easier cosplays that require less hand tools and fumey things (although I do have some resources at my disposal if I need to paint or do smelly shit).
depaul
>Majors?
costume technology
>>
>>9322322
Probably, honestly. It's a pretty small world, especially in that area
>>
When I was in college I didn't have the resources or space to do cosplay. I've gotten into it after graduating where I now have my own place and more money to spend. I still bought my first couple of cosplays before I got into making but I did learn about wigs and makeup before getting into sewing and foam crafting.
>>
>>9319022
>took a gap year working a full time job as a manager
How? As your first job?
>>
>>9323654
I've been working since I was 16, I got a job at a Jimmy John's as a second job when I was 20 and after about 4 months they made me a closing shift lead, and then 5 months after that they gave me my own store. I went to corporate training and everything at the fresh age of 21. I ended up quitting because the franchise is HORRIBLY run (for example, they gave a kid with absolutely no manager experience their own store, and even though I busted my ass my inexperience was obvious) and at the time of me working there I was paid salary, which anyone that works food service knows is a death sentence (I was paid for 50 hours of work, I usually worked about 60-70 hours, those extra hours I did not see a cent of overtime). I ended up going back down to assistant manager, and then decided it was the best time to go back to school so now I'm only there as a per diem closing manager (I quit last August and they still haven't been able to fill the spot). It's a very easy job, just a bullshit company to work for that is afraid to hire outside for management and scares away their good employees.
>>
>Budget?
I usually wait for sales...luckily the Joannes fabric store here is relocating so they have a closing sale at the old location. I'm stocking the fuck up right now
>Time?
I usually save it for weekends. Right now I'm sewing pieces for a cosplay and later I'll work on the armor
>College?
Idaho
>Major?
Environmental Science
>>
File: large.jpg (58KB, 390x390px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
large.jpg
58KB, 390x390px
>>9323618
>When I was in college I didn't have the resources or space to do cosplay
This is me right now. Really hope my situation improves once I graduate.
>>
Selling off old cosplays, but honestly my parents are well off and give me spending money. I've also started buying more cosplays, and I'll work on basically 95% of my costume at home during break.

I honestly don't get a lot, but usually vidya or styling wigs.

some place in New England

>Majors?
/premed
>>
Not currently in college, but I did when in college.
>How did you deal with budget and time constraints as a result of college?
Most of my college finances were through loans/grants. I had a PT job to pay for my hobby. I altered thrift shop clothes, taobao cosplays with others, and sewed when I could make it cheaper. Time constraints wise, finish/work on assignments due soon before cons. School > cosplay
>What did you work on in your free time?
Writing, translating comics, simple cosplay pieces
>What college or state did you go to?
MA
>Major?
Psychology
>>
>budget
I've been selling off old cosplays and cutting down on Taobao until at least after March. I tell myself that postal service from CN will be jammed anyways because CNY. As for making cosplay, I'm saving up for fabric and using old materials so that I don't waste at Jo-Ann's. Recently I've come to accept that I've got shit spending habits from high school so to counteract that I'm trying to focus more on what I need (books, medical expenses, going out stuff) and less on what I want (cosplay, camera lenses). I also just got a part time job at the dining halls so I plan to save a majority of that money and cut down on impulses. TL;DR, no taobao until April, no fabric shopping until March.

>Free time
I draw, paint, sometimes try to read for fun? I also go to the gym with my friends. Currently also crunching for Katsu. I basically work on cosplay in my free time/between breaks. (I find that Katsu sucks up a lot of money too, so I'm not planning to taobao a lot/do much until the next con I'll probably go to (Ota/AUSA) ).

>College
Somewhere in buttfuck VA.

>Major: BFA studio art. I'm planning to go into art education.
>>
>>9322169
Hey there, fellow upstater. I had friends at FLCC, pretty close to your neck of the woods.
>>
>>9322169
>>9322322
You guys should go to RIT anime club on Thursday nights. You'll meet a lot of great people there. I went to Naz but RIT was my social life and how I met a lot of other great people to cosplay with.
>>
>>9330646
Doesn't RIT Tora-con?
>>
>>9330653
Christ almighty,
'Doesn't RIT host Tora-con?'
>>
>>9318981
Does UT offer services that help with this? I been wanting to get into learning how to make things but I don't really have any of the skills or materials for it.
>>
Started with cosplay first year of college, mostly cheap stuff like paper mache and cheap paints. Using tools such as sewing machine, hot air gun and hardware tools from my parents.
Failed first year of college, decided to work half a year before going back to (different) college. Because of cosplay and some online affairs I decided I wanted to chase my dreams and study Game design and production (digital art, 3d models etc), on a lower level which allows me to spend minimal time at uni and max time on my commissions/cosplay (about 5-10h week for uni)

Still doing that, in third year now. Still on a very low budget, so my cosplays are still based on paper mache, but i refined it so much that it's almost indistinguishable from expensive costumes, although it's less durable. I now do small commissions that allows me to purchase a new sewing machine and an airbrush, before investing it in expensive materials.
My study also allows me to use pepakura with custom models, and 3d prints (cheap through my university) and draw extensive templates that help me a lot with creating good costumes. My costumes are now of such quality that I can sell them relatively okay.
I also use my company nr to get 21% vat reduction on most of my purchases (tools, fabric etc)

Attached image is pure cardboard paper mache and cheap acrylic paints as example of budget cosplay.
>>
>>9330653
Yes, if you want to actually go volunteer there because the attendance cap is stupid low compared to the demand. Can't be helped if the con stays on campus though
>>
>go to school full of privaleged valley girls
>fashion dedign major not helping
>many of them cosplay and talk about their buisnesses and the money they make
>be poorfag with no skill and cant grasp sewing at all every semester
I usually piece together stuff off Amazon and Ebay. Cost effective and I try to save up at the sacrifice of buying stuff I'd like.
>>
I go to law school so I'm ridiculously busy, I'm always dealing with papers and research deadlines and stuff like that.

I usually work on costumes during my holidays so during the school year they are ready to be worn. Which means I suffer a lot when I fall in love with a character mid season and want to make a costume and can't find the time since I have classes and stuff to do.
>>
>>9330808
Pardon the typos. Mobile typing isn't fun.
>>
>>9330646
I go to their cosplay troupe and it's pretty rad! I'm extremely shy and bad at talking to people, and I don't stay on campus at MCC more than for my classes, so being able to socialize and meet other cosplayers in the area is awesome.
>>
>>9330809
I cosplayed through law school too and I feel you. I only did one con a year but it was still hell, even if I pushed most of the workload onto my breaks.

Also, apparently cosplaying is a really weird and rare thing for law students to do ...? A couple of classmates found out I went to a con and it was like I was a wizard to them.
>>
Currently a grad student but also cosplayed in my undergrad... so about 6+ years of cosplaying while in heavy academic.

I got by in undergrad through scholarships and my parents so because all of my extra money from work wasn't paying for school it could go to costuming. Nowadays though I pay for most all of my schooling/everything else so cons for me are quite limited. I try to help front costs by applying for Artist Alley which has literally paid off in a lot of ways but admission isn't guaranteed so it's not a perfect solution. When not in class I'm usually doing homework, freelancing, prepping for thesis, part time teaching job or at the gym. As I've grown older I've been thinning out my con attendance anyway but still had one or two I liked to go to no matter what... so at this point having to say no to them and my distance friends because of school/monetary restraint really sucks, but I know in the long run I'll be better off. As far as putting costumes together lately I'll commission friends or buy things most of the time because it's just plain easier, but when I can make small accessories/alterations/etc I still try to make time for them.

Right now I'm fixing up D.VA from Overwatch and considering remaking my Mage F!Hawke from Dragon Age II. I won't have another con until maybe June at the earliest so no pressure. Researching my options and putting together tiny budgets/plans is actually very fun! I'm not used to having so much time to do this admittedly.

I got to school in Georgia.

>Majors?
Illustration.
>>
Undergrad was a lot easier, now I'm wrapping up my Masters. I definitely place school above this hobby, so I generally have to plan far in advance for what cons I'd like to do. Money isn't a (big) problem for me, so it's more time restrictive than anything. Also I like keeping it on the downlow because I don't want co-workers finding out. It's not necessarily super embarrassing, but I don't like getting looked down on for a hobby and it's happened in a work place before. I really like separating my professional and hobby life.
I currently am just making a lot of easy simple projects like long A-line dresses, mori clothes, or school uniforms for characters who don't have crazy wigs. It's very zen for me to sew simple stuff that looks cute. My big projects I'm working on slowly are Yuko from xxxHolic (what a throwback) and Flemeth from Dragon Age 2.

Probably next year or the year after will be my last years cosplaying.
What college or state do you go to?
I'm doing my Masters in TX and hopefully going to MedSchool in New York or NE coast next year.
Majors?
Undergrad was Biomed Eng, Masters in Genetics, and hopefully MD for Medical Research.
>>
>>9332298
>Cosplay Troupe
I've been meaning to go since they started up, but who the fuck hosts a club 8-10 on Friday nights? I know the target demo doesn't have a social life, but still.
>>
>>9333952
It's not really a club persay in the traditional sense. It started as a the meetings and practice for the Toracon cosplay chess show and became a club so that they could actual get the ability to book spaces to practice in. So club meetings are more like play rehearsal
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.