[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convention Main Events

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_3901.jpg (101KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3901.jpg
101KB, 500x333px
Haven't seen one before, so I hope you don't mind if I made one!
> Events you hate
> Events you like
> Have you ever been in a Main Event?
> Performances that stuck with you?

I have always wanted to sign up for a Main Event but a. Never finish a costume in time or b. get anxious about possibly choking up

Help me to convince myself anons
>>
Do you mean cosplay contest performances/skits or just main events at the convention in general (i.e. concerts, screenings)?
>>
>>9316553
All Main events, cosplay related or not.
>>
>>9316425
For me going into cons i used to think the Masquerade was also the gold event every con should focus on.

Now I can not stand watching them
>>
File: 1.jpg (21KB, 254x252px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
21KB, 254x252px
>It's an anime con cosplay contest where a video game/western media character wins
>>
>>9319916
I hate seeing this so much. Theme should be weighted more at anime conventions. JRPGs are one thing, but western game/media characters is another.

Around here the "Main Events" Room includes the dance, concerts, closing and opening ceremonies, the cosplay contest and Q&A sessions with the guests of honor. I've done cosplay contests where you walk on stage, pose for 20 seconds then walk off. I don't think could handle doing a skit though.

Another anon talked about programming in a thread about how cons have changed. If we're talking about small local conventions, the con is only as good as its community. If you think you could do better than the people presenting or have a unique panel/event idea, submit it! Cons can only pick from the panels that get submitted and I know a recent one I went to literally put every submitted panel on the schedule.
>>
File: IMG_0024.jpg (62KB, 890x580px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.jpg
62KB, 890x580px
Went to a con in nj called kotoricon and they're final event was a cosplay dating game. I swear it was so funny the first year i saw it, this year not as much because it felt like they got more tamer contestants. I was actually on as goku and that was great heres a link to the video https://youtu.be/rOF67qhtu_M

Also animenexts dance was pretty great, even though i fucked up my back. Cant wait for this year
>>
>>9316425
I love the concerts, it's my convention highlight, especially at AnimeCon in my country (the Netherlands), since they have Avex artists recently (and Origa before her passing). I know other countries even have bigger concert events (like Japan Expo in France), so I really want to go there sometime too. Before concerts, the cosplay competitions were always my convention highlight though.
>>
What do you all think makes a good fashion show at a convention?
Any tips for running one, or what-not-to-dos?
>>
>>9316425
The girls in the back remind me of early 2000s western Mana fangirls lol.
>>
File: 1464849018255.jpg (77KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1464849018255.jpg
77KB, 768x1024px
>>9319916
Judges who think that this shit can fly need to be shot into space.
Just imagine being one of the participants in those bullshit contests.

>Pour your heart and soul into into a cosplay from a series that you love for months in the off time that you have between work and school
>Lots of average people show up, but some others that put a lot of effort in
>You'll probably not win, but at least that guy who really sunk some hours into foam sculpting will win, so good on him
>Everyone loses to a League/Dota/Overwatch cosplayer with huge tits and a legion of Instagram fanboys
>>
>>9321971
I would say that entirely depends on the design. I mostly cosplay from video games and they can be a lot more detailed than almost any anime. As for losing to someone who didn't put the hours or skill in is a travesty.
>>
>>9321690
>organise & rehearse
Don't just rehearse the day of; rehearse well beforehand, make sure everyone knows their lines and cues. This doesn't just stand for the models; the people in charge and showhands need to be on call and alert for anything that may happen backstage that requires some last minute fixing. Assign people to certain tasks, so you don't have the entire crew fussing over one person who lost an earring while another person is bleeding out on the floor after falling off the stage.

>iron your shit
Fucking hell, you'd be surprised how many people just send models out on stage with wrinkled blouses and crumpled skirts.

>have a good stage presence
It's incredibly awkward to watch someone who is terrified to be on stage. Stiff poses, stilted walking, not interacting with the audience at all. If you have models that aren't used to wearing lolita (which happens more often than you'd think), have them wear it outside of the event, just so they can get used to the way the clothing feels. That goes for everyone, really, if they're not modelling their own clothing.
>>
>>9319916
who cares? the best cosplay should win, regardless
>>
>>9322075
Agreed, however I think anon means when a cosplay from a video game or western media wins in the category anime or something.
>>
For a second I thought that was a photo from anime midwest but it's not, they usually have twice as many lights.

>>9319925
>Around here the "Main Events" Room includes the dance, concerts, closing and opening ceremonies, the cosplay contest and Q&A sessions with the guests of honor. I've done cosplay contests where you walk on stage, pose for 20 seconds then walk off. I don't think could handle doing a skit though.

Yep we must be in the same area. I think guest panels don't need to be on a big stage though, it's just a waste of time when there could be more performances.
>>
>>9316425
Is this a photo from one of those steampunk conventions or has SPG been a main event outside of their genre?
>gullible.jpg
>>
>>9322075
lots of cons have rules on like "entrants costumes should be from an anime/Japanese video game or Japanese inspired media" but western costumes make it in anyhow. so its like, not only should they not BE there but they also WIN? it kinda sucks.
>>
>>9322342
I have no idea. I googled "Anime Convention Main Event" and used the one that most resembled some sort of event. Most were just pictures of random con hallways.

>>9319925

Around here, Main Events are "Cosplay Games" in which there's a Dating Game, Death Battle and Chess Match. Usually its attention whore yuckin it up in cosplay. Like what >>9320656 said
(We live in the NorthEast US Area, maybe these events are only prominent there?)

For some reason I've always had a dream of being one of those whores who yuck it up, as cringe as that may be.
>>
I always go to the AMV contest, 70% of the time its great.
>>
>>9328317
Really? Every time I end up having nothing better to do and head down to the AMV contest, it's terrible. Same ten upbeat alt rock songs or some horrible dubstep. I've only seen a couple good AMVs in the last few years.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.