[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outlaw comic con (Arizona Convention)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12

File: screen cap.jpg (61KB, 511x672px) Image search: [Google]
screen cap.jpg
61KB, 511x672px
So while scrolling through my facebook today I saw a convention director here in Arizona post something about a up coming convention called Outlaw Comicon. This thread blew up and it got me to actually research it. Now person who posted the thread didn't name drop anyone or the event and he was super respectful though out the whole thread. Someone who I'm guessing is the event organizer did name drop the convention.

After looking at this holy fuck this is gold.
>>
How nice of him to provide business 101 to potential vendors - I bet he's a hoot at a party.
>>
File: To add.png (32KB, 505x326px) Image search: [Google]
To add.png
32KB, 505x326px
>>9316386

This just keeps getting better and better.
>>
Oh it is great! Wonder if it will actually be a con or if it will burn before it begins.
>>
Seriously though $550 for a "Crafters table"
>>
>>9316382
I can't find the Outlaw Comiccon page and I'm not friends with Mike (Taiyou Mike not this shithead), can you summarize?
>>
>>9316565
the Mike Wheeler guy is basically shitting out his ass on the comments responding to everything
>>
>>9316557
what is a crafters table?
>>
>>9317006
non-print artist, basically
>>
File: Screenshot_20170111-175539.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170111-175539.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
This is their artist and vendor hall map. I don't even know where to start with how terrible it looks.
>>
>>9316565
Basically what happened was Michael (gonna refer to Taiyou con mike as Michael) made a very polite and professional status about how you shouldn't make fun of or put down the community that you are trying to market to. He didn't name drop the convention but then outlaw Mike came in name dropped his own convention and started yelling at people.
>>
File: IMG_3705.jpg (423KB, 1242x1599px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3705.jpg
423KB, 1242x1599px
I'm not going to screenshot the whole thread because it will take far too long. [1\2]
>>
File: IMG_3706.jpg (470KB, 1242x1331px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3706.jpg
470KB, 1242x1331px
>>9317293
[2/2] I'm going going to quote some of outlaw mikes responses.

>Michael Spadafore where are you getting saturated market? There is now only 1 show in this state worth anything. How is the market saturated?

>person: I'm sorry I won't be attending your event. It costs more than the majority of shows that have tons of experience. If your first year or two is successful then you can start to charge more. SDCC shouldn't be what you're comparing to - you should ask for advice from the people who actually worked on successful conventions and how they structured their pricing for the first couple of years.
>Phoenix has so many cons as it is - I'll stick with the ones that I know, love, and have a good reputation. If you want us to force you to earn our money, lower your prices and have a general "Customer Service" attitude towards your community.

>outlaw Mike: Good. With that attitude I don't want you at my show.
>You are not a potential patron.

Looks like outlaw mike deleted a lot of him comments. Also know that he called everyone libtards and asked for help on "trolling" the thread by sharing the group to a trumps deplorable group.
>>
they have deleted almost every post on their fb page.
they now only have 3:
this on about not responding on fb anymore, one about volunteers and one about wanting vendors and artists for a feedback committee.

kinda too late though, as all of their very damaging posts have been screen capped by everyone.
>>
They created a feedback group which you can get the link to on their page. But if you give feedback you get deleted.
>>
>>9317509
>must've have
>must have have

What an obnoxious uneducated asshat.
>>
>>9316382
>Grandma Elinor's house of quilts
Definitely this one, sounds comfy.
>>
>>9317669
? what are you talking about?
>>
>>9317680
Agreed, Star Wars is oversaturated normie filth while quilts are actually useful and attractive.

>>9317684
Read the subtitle on the image he posted.
>>
http://www.nerdandtie.com/2017/01/12/outlaw-comicon-failing-at-social-media-and-how-not-to-deal-with-guests/
>>
>>9317684
> what're are you talking about?

Ftfy
>>
>>9317689
ah, you right, I missed that haha
>>
>>9317689
Star Wars is a part of geek culture no matter it's popularity. The baking stands that where at PCC didn't belong. And the person selling those oragami owl necklaces. That's like have an Avon stand at a gun convention.
>>
>>9317700
I'm the gull who asks if the button guy from last year is going to show up.
>>
>>9317701
Fuck anon that almost made me spit out my drink.
>>
File: elenorgotgame.jpg (59KB, 570x428px) Image search: [Google]
elenorgotgame.jpg
59KB, 570x428px
>>9317680
Quilts take a damn long time and the fact that he dissed them actually pissed me off most for some reason. I'm not even a quilter.
>>
For some reason the part that makes the least sense to me is how he feels about vendors. Tons of people show up to cons solely for merchandise.
>>
>>9317978
I don't think his convention will last long with his attitude. If he's treating his vendors that way, then I can't imagine how he would treat the guests who have needs. Defiantly has a elitist mentality of what he wants and not what the people want. Of course seeing the same vendors year after year is boring but belittling them and saying they are not the type of person "the people" want isn't how you get people wanting to attend. Making it public when a guest denies your invite is also very passive aggressive and childish.
>>
>>9317700
This guy is nuts. His business practices seem to be shit since he's getting rid of DC and Marvel comics in his comic store for some reason. $60 for a weekend pass? When Taiyou first opened, weekend passes were a measly $25. He also called out Jim Lee on Facebook for not coming as a guest? What do you expect him to do? You don't even have a venue locked down, do you even have the dates you want besides 2018? He seems to be taking a page out of the Santa Fe comic con book and shooting himself in the foot.
>>
>>9318208
I enjoyed reading his own reviews about his own business online. Fucking cringy.
>>
>>9318247
>gives himself 5 star review
>"Best shop in town. Trust me I own it."
>trashes people who gave him bad reviews, literally threatens to harass/harm/throw a slushie on a girl who suggested he play better music in his store.

This guy is certifiably insane. How is he married?
>>
This is a link to a podcast he was on. dude makes himself look like a train wreck.
https://soundcloud.com/absolute-geek-podcast/episode-113-dude-wheres-my-millennium-falcon
>>
Sorry that was the wrong episode before

https://soundcloud.com/absolute-geek-podcast/amazing-arizona-the-saga-continues-our-interview-with-mike-wheeler-owner-of-outlaw-comics-and-wild-west-comic-con
>>
>>9318208
its $60 now? it was $80. still wayy too much for a first year con.
>>
literally go on facebook to see what the hell is going on and whew boy it looks like the word is spreading quick.
>>
>>9318909
He also got rid of the crafter tables but says crafters are still welcome, they just have to buy a regular booth for $600. Also you aren't allowed to have an artist alley table unless you are a comic book artist.
>>
File: IMG_6089.gif (14KB, 989x573px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6089.gif
14KB, 989x573px
>>9318926
Gotta love elitism.
>>
File: 1475135467725.jpg (3KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
1475135467725.jpg
3KB, 128x128px
>>9318909
Just like fucking Dashcon all over again.

Well, at least they booked a venue.
>>
>>9317801
It's a thing now! facebook / grandmaelinorquilts/
>>
>>9316392
Someone disagrees with me, they're obviously liberal scum!! Make anime great again
>>
>>9317700

This attitude sounds like the Phoenix comicon guy who went ass up about just one random cosplyer asking to guest
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-16-00-49-16.png (497KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-16-00-49-16.png
497KB, 1080x1920px
>>9316382
Wahh.

He's so desperate.
>>
>>9321125
Boohoo where's my personal army!? QQ more
>>
>>9321125
How come when they fuck up, it's always "libtard bashing"? Accept that you're an idiot, it's not political vendetta.
>>
>>9321409
I'm just trying to imagine how insufferable this guy must have been when he was at the age where this kind of behavior would be expected.
>>
>>9321125
"They hate me because I love Trump! Even though that has nothing to do with anything and they're actually mad at me for being a shitposting asshole who is tying to take money for an event I have barely planned and have no venue for, have bashed an entire community of artists and artisans, and have publicly called out and humiliated a respected member of the comic book community for declining my invitation to appear at my unplanned event! THEY'RE JUST TROLLS AND LIBTARDS!"
>>
>>9321409
My favorite part is how they don't want to associate with him either
>>
>>9321125
What does Trump have to o with having dumb pricing?
>>
>>9321125
I am having such a difficult time figuring out how his incompetence in business and professionalism correlates with his political stance.
>>
>>9318282
>threatens to throw a slushie
Pics?
>>
>>9321901
He wants to blame the hate on unreasonable "libtard trolls" because there's no way it could be his fault
>>
File: IMG_0323.jpg (135KB, 640x810px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0323.jpg
135KB, 640x810px
He posted this back in November
Its ok for him to get pissy with politics when he's being called out though
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.