[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

...So that doujin posted in the feels thread left me fucked up.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 33

...So that doujin posted in the feels thread left me fucked up. Anywho, what do you gulls do to stay safe?
>Do you take any self-defense classes?
>Cute self-defense gear?
>How do you deflect creeps while in cosplay/lolita?
>>
File: why.png (216KB, 391x422px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
216KB, 391x422px
>>9304848
i'm sorry i did this to you but maybe something good can come out of it

i carry around a bottle of mace that looks like a lipstick tube, but realistically i doubt i would be able to get to it in time if something actually happened

i just make sure that i'm never ever ever alone when i'm in lolita (or just in general) because i'm realistic and know that i could easily be overpowered like our girl princess-chan

there was this one time i kicked a fucker who was trying to look up my sister's skimpy cosplay skirt but that's the closest i've come to initiating actual self-defense
>>
>>9304855
it's okay, anon-chan ;-;. We can talk about an important subject at the very least. Pls don't feel bad.
>>
File: blingsting.jpg (177KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
blingsting.jpg
177KB, 1000x1000px
I carry around mace. I want to put a warning that mace isn't the best self defense option. Most mace canisters carry a warning to only be used on either animals or intoxicated people. I think stronger varieties of mace exist, but they are illegal in most states. My mace isn't fancy, it's in a black holder and it's called 'Terminator' or some shit. Below the logo it says, 'They won't be back.' There's a lot in how you carry yourself. Also, be nice. Unfortunately a lot of predators will target women for no other reason then they were mean. Unless a man gives me a reason to use force, I try to be as nice as possible deflecting advances because some of them will get uppity if you are not. I've only once ever ran into problems and thank god somebody stopped. I usually never get in cars with people but after having a man trail behind me 2 miles per hour on a highway for 15 minutes flipping off trucks and cars, I've never booked it into a car so fast. I also don't wear heels because I try to be prepared to book it.
>>
File: 2016-12-31 16.55.44.png (29KB, 205x174px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-31 16.55.44.png
29KB, 205x174px
>>9304848
>Anywho, what do you gulls do to stay safe?
I don't go out.
>>
Another trick, that's only advisable in life or death situations, is an upward palm strike to the very tip of the nose. The idea this strike is deadly is a complete myth, but it can certainly do some damage. If you aren't very strong, this strong upward strike is the best bet for doing some damage. The other options, which some may find more viable, is straight out jabbing the eyes. One good jab or two, and they are blind. The third option is going to crush the adam's apple. I mean, just grab it and crunch down as hard as you can like it is a stress ball.

Only go for these options in a life or death situation because if you fail to do enough damage, you could end up very hurt or dead. I only advise these methods if you sincerely think you are likely going to die otherwise.
>>
I don't live in the best neighborhood so I try my best to not be out when it's dark (luckily my classes are in the morning when it's light out and end early afternoon). That being said I've been followed by drivers and have been flashed before (called the cops that time because I got his plate number and picture). I usually have my phone out at all times and put on my best poker face while not giving them any attention (it helps that I listen to music while I commute). They give up and drive off.

That being said, I'd like to have something to protect myself that I'd be allowed to have with me on campus as well.
>>
>>9304889
This. It goes without saying to always have a phone.
>>
>>9304889
Also, check with your campus. My campus is gun-free (0 tolerence), but they actually do allow people with LTC licenses to bring their guns on the premises. Obviously you won't be pulling it out on the reg showing off, but talk to them. Most zero tolerance campuses do actually allow handguns assuming the person has the proper licenses and reasons. Texas is an example of a state with zero-tolerance campuses that actually allows those licensed to carry to bring them without fear.
>>
Although I will say, anyone with severe depression or bipolar, please don't get a license. You don't need a handgun. Please. It's dangerous for certain people to have them, a danger to themselves. You don't want a gun sitting in your reach at the wrong moment.
>>
I've read that most opportunistic attackers are disinclined to target women carrying things like umbrellas, since they can be used as a weapon.

There is also the good old method of putting your keys between your knuckles if you have to cross a dark parking lot alone.

I mostly just try to stay in groups or busy, well lit areas as much as much as is possible.

Being vigilant in surveying your surroundings and in how you present yourself (i.e. walking with confidence instead of shuffling along meekly) when alone are also really important. If you seem like you'll put up too much of a fight instead of submitting out of fear, that you'll be more trouble than you're worth, you'll be less likely to become a target.
>>
>>9304848

>stay in groups of people. you're less likely to be attacked or whatever if you're in a herd.
>if you know people who are headed to the same place or in the same direction, travel with them for as much of the way as you can. same reasoning as above.
>go out mostly during the day or travel with a group of people you know after dark.
>read up on what self-defense tools your city/county/province/whatever lets you carry.
>take self-defense classes too. just because you have mace, a knife, or a gun doesn't mean that you're completely safe. be prepared in case you forget how to use it in the heat of the moment, drop it, get it knocked away, or otherwise disarmed.
>don't confront people, obviously. some people are like "daaamn ok" and back off, but the people who get violent after confrontation get REALLY violent.
>in the case of an emergency, make as much noise and don't make it easy for them to grab you/keep holding onto you. scream, kick, flail around, bang on things, throw stuff around, etc. you're more likely to draw attention to yourself and your attackers, plus they might decide that you're too much work and leave you alone.
>>
>>9304901
When I buy umbrellas, I make sure they (the rod?) are designed with metal, not plastic, for this very reason. There may be some truth to that.
>>
Another thing that is a bit harder to control is your hair.

Attackers often go for women with long hair, as they can grab it and pull you back, unlike women with short hair.

There's really not much you can do about that, unless you decide to cut it. Luckily, if you're wearing a wig and someone tries that, it'll just come off.

If you think someone is following you and might become confrontational, try to keep your hair away from them. It's a weird suggestion, but it's hard to fight someone if they're pulling your head back via hair.
>>
I figured I'd add something that doesn't quite go along with Japanese fashion, but dress down if you absolutely have to go out at night alone. I don't own a car, and sometimes I do find myself in situations I have to go to the store or something at night. (For example, cat has diarrhea after I just used the last of the litter bag and I gotta' get more cat litter before my planned trip.) I dress like a damn hobo when this happens and wear a jacket with a huge hood to conceal my hair. I try not to look like a 'women' so people kind of pass over me on the street. I'll change my entire outfit just because I have to walk somewhere at night.
>>
Some Taobao jfash brand used to sell cross necklace that have a huge sharp needle inside, don't remember which shop it was tho.
>>
File: btkkiller.jpg (11KB, 215x300px) Image search: [Google]
btkkiller.jpg
11KB, 215x300px
This is a picture of BTK (Bind Torture Kill) in his younger days. This ties into to what I am about to say.

The last thing I can think to mention is don't ever judge someone's likelihood to be a predator based off appearance. Sometimes the sketchiest, most awful looking people would never hurt a fly while the most charismatic good looking people could be a rapist. This means treat any person approaching as a would-be threat. This doesn't mean being rude to people, but don't let your guard down (or put your guard up) just because of the way somebody looks.
>>
Another tip: if you feel like someone is following you, turn around and look at them or say something to them, just to make sure they know that you are alert and know what they look like. Also you can always pull out your phone and call a friend, say something like "yeah I'm on my way, I'm on X street" so they know someone else knows where you are at what time
>>
Why are you guys so paranoid over nothing? Way to act like the outside world is so dangerous. Do y'all live in the ghetto or bumfuck nowhere?

People in general think the outside world is way more dangerous than it actually is.

You guys end up sounding like tumblr feminists who are obsessed with being edgy and ~protecting girls~ while not knowing anything practical. I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of suggestions here were totally impractical but people gobble them up anyways because they are so ~cute~.

>>9304912

Is this even practical? I feel like you might just end up hurting yourself
>>
>>9304914
Yeah but your chances of encountering a serial killer are way lower than things like being in a fatal traffic accident. Instead of wondering about how all guys are creeps, it's probably better to pay more attention to driving or something.

Everyone's perspectives on what's dangerous are so fucked up.
>>
>>9304927
because, you know, wanting to protect yourself from potential predators is somehow wrong

while i agree that kitschy jewelry that's somehow marketed as self defense, i don't see how there's any issue with people being aware of the dangers that others can cause. i never thought my best friend's older brother would rape me! but look at me now...

bad people are everywhere and they are where you least expect it.
>>
>>9304932
sorry, *while i agree that kitschy jewelry that's somehow marketed as self defense is silly
>>
>>9304927
>>9304928

There's nothing wrong with being wary of people lol. Not everyone is someone you can instantly trust, thinking that is just being naive.

Are you a male anon? Might explain a bit.
>>
>>9304927
Yes. I live in bumfuck nowhere where the majority of residents, particularly younger residents, think and act like they live in a ghetto.
>>
I open carry an AR-15
>>
>>9304927
>Way to act like the outside world is so dangerous. Do y'all live in the ghetto or bumfuck nowhere?
Living in a city is usually pretty dangerous unless you're in the "suburbs" but those don't really exist anymore and with the way the youth culture is these days - yeah, it's kind of dangerous to go out sometimes. Bad shit happens everywhere.
>>
Trained (martial arts, boxing, military) guys here. Wanted to help out and speak to some of the suggestions so far.

Several people have mentioned mace. This is a good option but I have a few things about it that no one has mentioned yet. First, have it somewhere you can get to it fast. Think under 2 seconds, buried in a bag isnt good, it needs to have its own special pocket on you or your purse. Second, aim low. Most people have shit aim with anything they shoot (mace, guns, bow and arrow) so dont try and get it right into their face unless its point blank (more on this in a second). If you hit the upper chest with it, it will most likely splash onto their face as it is a liquid in most cases. This will put most people on their heels (on the defensive) giving you enough time to flee or to walk the stream further into the target (eyes, nose, mouth). Lastly for mace, please dont forget that it is liquid, and will splash. If they are already in point blank range for it you have a good chance of getting yourself with it as well.

Next is the advice someone said was to strike at the eyes or nose. this is advice best left to those with training. Those targets are small and can be hard to hit for someone who isnt trained to hit them. Your best bet is to kick for the groin. Your legs have a much longer reach, and if you hit the groin great, if you miss you will most likely still catch a shin, knee, or inner leg. All of which hurt.

Now for hair pulling. If this happens then your already in a losing fight, but one thing to help you out is to walk into them. yes they will get the initial pull, go with it. dont fight them at hairs reach, as that will hurt. Walking into them will limit the damage they can do to your scalp while putting you in range with two free hands to there one (unless they decide to let go). Not the greatest advice on that one, but its a shit situation all around.

More to follow
>>
>>9304935
>Are you a male anon? Might explain a bit.
way to make your argument go out the window. I agree with you, other anon is being naive, but holy shit you're reaching quite a bit too.
>>
>>9304927
It's good to know if you ever find yourself in an ugly situation. Maybe I'm paranoid because I was raised by a mother who was assaulted by a guy with a machete at night and a grandmother who was mugged and one point and later fended off an attempted rapist. You never know where life will take you, and sometimes it will take you straight into the hood.
T. Redneck lolita
>>
>>9304947
I'm glad I'm not the only one from redneck country.
>>9304944
I did say only in a life or death situation. I never bought the fancy mace (like the lipstick mace) simply because I've noticed most requires a lid of sorts to be removed before use. My canister doesn't require anything to be removed before use. I do keep it in a special pocket, but when walking, I carry it in my hand concealed by my sleeve. (It's usually chilly enough for long sleeves.)
>>
>>9304944

Signing up for a self defense class is a great idea, but stay away from the one and done (girls night) classes. Get into something that is done regularly as it normally takes months or years to train your body to properly do alot of what a self defense class teaches without further endangering yourself.

Putting the keys between your fingers is also a decent idea, but you need a keychain that will fit in your palm that keeps them from slipping. Also like the mace you need to be able to get them out and ready faster then the person can figure out what your doing.

NAILS. Use them. Anywhere on the face works, and as its more of a swiping motion than a jabbing motion your chance to find a nice soft squishy bit is much higher (trained or untrained)

Last few pieces of advice.

Situational awareness is key. Always be aware of your surroundings, if something doesn't look right, or even if something just doesn't feels right. You should make a mental note of where your friends are, where the largest group of people is, and where the closest exit (escape route if outside) is.

Most people think of it as "fight or flight" when in reality it's "fight, flight, or freeze". Even with training i have seen people freeze up when things go bad and they were not expecting it. Be ready to act one way or another.

Always run. Run first if you can, if not, do something fast and hard, then run. But running first is always the best option.

I don't normally come to this board, but if there is an interest I will check back later and share any more advice.
>>
>>9304928
Once people have been attacked, it is hard not taking precaution later in life. As far as paying attention to driving, some people don't have cars so why would driving be on their minds?
>>
>>9304928
>Tfw I've encountered a serial killer
All this stuff in this thread is good, but the biggest thing is to not be intoxicated in public
>>
Oy vey! Sign up for a Krav Maga class, goyim.
>>
>>9304961
This is also true. For the drinkers, keep a 24/7 taxi number on hand at all times. Don't go out unless you know you can cover the cost of a taxi home. Don't dilly daddle on somewhat vacated downtown streets during a night on the town. To the bar, and straight back. I don't drink so this has actually never been an issue for me.
>>
Don't bring knives (or scissors) to gun fights. That is also a good tip. In this instance, you are kind of fucked.
>>
>>9304968

>>9304932
>>
>>9304968
It's amazing a simple discussion about self defense brings the trolls out of the woodwork.
>>
I don't leave the house.
>>
>>9304955
Share all your self defense you wish. Story time. There was a suspected serial killer in my town many years ago. He had already killed two women in town around the same age. This lady was doing her jogging like usual around 6 in the morning, and he attacked her. He didn't realize she was finishing her black belt training. (I think tae kwon do was her form of martial arts.) Dude got knocked the fuck out, she called the cops, turns out his bag he had with him had some fucked up shit in it. Later on, he admitted that she was suppose to be his 3rd victim. Sadly, the lady died at age 50 from a bizarre lung infection, but I guess that was better then dying in their 20's.
>>
>>9304944
>>9304955
thank you for hopping in and sharing with us!
>>
How well does having a BF work?
>>
>>9304988

Yeah but if he really loves you won't he come rescue you in your time of need ;;
>>
>>9304985
That falls under sticking with a group. I assume he doesn't stay attached 24/7. In the end, most people meaning to do harm are not going to care if you speak up saying, 'Oh, I have a boyfriend.'
>>
>>9304991
I edited that for a word that may not be so well known, sorry for deleting that. No, they are not magical.
>>
>>9304887
Adding to this, if you're grabbed the person doing the grabbing will expect you to resist and try to get away. If you do the opposite it tends to catch them by surprise and will usually leave you a good few openings to get to the eyes/nose/throat. Kick the back of the knees while you're at it, or hook your leg around a knee and pull hard. Even if you're small and relatively weak it'll throw them off balace, literally, and you can get the hell out of there as fast as you can without worrying so much about being followed. If you just reach out blindly for the face/throat, they can grab your arms and leave you in a sticky situation.
Oh, and if you manage to get your attacker on the ground and you know they're armed/likely to outrun you/otherwise clearly dangerous, try grabbing hold of their arm, pulling it up, and ramming your leg into their elbow as hard as you can. Pull the arm back while you do this and put all your weight onto the joint- just below the knee is the best part of your leg to use in my experience- and it should snap the elbow, since they only bend one way. Then gtfo.
Running is always the best option though, don't try to hang around for a fight if you can feasibly get away without compromising your safety.
>>
>>9304943
Also, it depends a lot on area. I feel pretty safe where I live in the city, but if I lived even three streets away from where I live now, I'd be a lot more cautious walking back at night. At the moment, if I'm coming back from a meet at night on public transport, my entire walk is either along a wide, straight, busy main road, or from a manned station then along said main road to my apartment. Even late at night, there are witnesses around. I wouldn't want to live in the quiet residential backstreets here, even though it's a "nice area" and they're supposedly more upscale than living on a noisy main road, because there's too much risk of being trapped with nobody else around.
>>
>>9304985
Not very. You ever read missing people stories? A lot of girls go missing while they're going home from work or school.
>>
File: smith-wesson-swhrt9bf-large.jpg (59KB, 711x800px) Image search: [Google]
smith-wesson-swhrt9bf-large.jpg
59KB, 711x800px
I'd recommend a smith and Wesson HRT 4.5 inch boot knife. Preferably carried on your person, not in a bag (hip carry, inverted leg carry if you're wearing a skirt, etc)

Just don't pull it out and try to get into a knife fight, or to intimidate. You aren't trained and the possibility of disarmament is high.

Wait for your opening and stick it in him, preferably in the neck or chest
>>
>>9305060
Oh you make a really good point. Don't ever pull out a weapon to intimidate. Only reveal it if you know your going to use it right then in there. This goes for a knife, gun, mace, or any possible weapon.
>>
File: 1482711804729.jpg (40KB, 389x361px) Image search: [Google]
1482711804729.jpg
40KB, 389x361px
>>9304848
Those keychains seem so dumb to me get something better than that flimsy trendy crap
I personally either carry a firearm or stick with my fiance who is carrying. Or both depending on what we're doing. I know that firearms are not always an option for people but if you can get and carry one I highly suggest you get one. There are all sorts of neat holsters made for girls that you can get that can go under skirts and dresses. With most methods of self defense you have to get close to someone to be effective, which is risky because then they could grab you. With a gun you can fight back from a distance. Also please please please do NOT carry in your purses!! You should always carry on your person. If you carry off the body theres always the possibility of you losing it or even worse the attacker could snatch the purse from you and then use the gun against you. If you can't get a gun I think the next best thing would probably be good heavy duty pepper spray. I think they make some with dye in it so that you can later identify who attacked you. I've been meaning to get some so that I can carry it on campus but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Please stay safe gulls. I wish it were less taboo to talk openly about carrying guns. I don't want to freak out the super anti gun girls in my comm but I sometimes want to let girls know that I'm carrying and they can feel a little safer with me.
>>
>>9304848
>...So that doujin posted in the feels thread left me fucked up. Anywho, what do you gulls do to stay safe?
just don't take shady jobs that strangers offer you. that's the exact point where she went wrong.
>>
>>9305094
desu if they wanted her badly enough for the "job" they probably would've taken her by force anyway
>>
>>9305088
Yeah, there's this huge fear that guns just take off on their own accord like some sort of poltergeist and shoot people.
>>
>>9305088
>I sometimes want to let girls know that I'm carrying and they can feel a little safer with me.

Guns are illegal where I live, so obviously my view on them is quite different; but if somebody told they have gun on them, I would not feel safe at all
>>
>>9305088
I would not be reassured by hearing that someone near me is carrying.

IMO there are plenty of non-lethal self defense options out there. I don't see why I need muh gun to defend myself is so popular. Get yourself some bear spray. That shit shoots far as hell and it will fuck that person up.
>>
I carry a springfield XD subcompact 9mm.
I'm the one that's still looking for a leathercrafter to make a whiteam under the shoulder dirty harry style holster with a heart cut out in the back where the straps cross.
My state is open carry.
>>
>>9305128
Bear spray is illegal where I live. One is better off with a gun. The only mace I own carries warning that it's only good for drunks and rabid dogs.
>>
>>9305133
>XD
Go back to Gaia.
>>
>>9305137
X D is part of the name of the gun idiot
>>
>>9305137
it's 2017, yesterday's gaiafags are today's oldfags
>>
>>9305088
>but I sometimes want to let girls know that I'm carrying and they can feel a little safer with me.

Man, in a subculture as catty and petty as lolita, I'd feel a million times more unsafe with someone who as carrying unless I was close friends with them already.
>>
>>9305137
The Croatia model is marketed as an XD = Extreme Duty. Now they make XDM and XDS
>>
>>9305113
>>9305128
Yea see I don't wanna freak people like you out. I guess I personally feel safer around those carrying because I'm very comfortable with guns. I feel like there are others out there who would be reassured by this though but you can never tell who would be.
Also I'm sorry but fuck anyone who is attacking me. The second they express intent to harm me I stop giving a single fuck about their life because they definitely don't give a single fuck about mine. Do I /want/ to kill someone? Of course fucking not that would be traumatising but my life is more valuable than the life of some scum who wants to harm me or others.
>>
>>9305143
>>9305128
>>9305113
I always hope something scary enough happens to people like this so they realize what dumb sitting ducks they are.
I've had a gun for years and never accidentally shot someone in a rage fit. If you look at fbi statistics most legal gun owners aren't crazies out to get you but normal people not wanting to get robbed.
Had stupid libertard jfashion friend that always talked shit about gun owners, till some guy broke into her house. I took her gun shopping then to the range last month. She even has a cute thigh holster for it now.
>>
>>9305148
i agree that they're being paranoid but wishing ill on people to prove a point is going a little far
>>
>>9305149
I didn't wish something bad happens, just scary enough. I was careful about wording. Like when something spooks a horse.
>>
>>9305148

I actually KNOW both people that have gotten into trouble for waving their guns around and that have gotten shot as a result of an incident that escalated badly, so nope. I also know a girl whose dad got killed in a robbery because, surprise, one gun doesn't do fuck all when it's several armed robbers breaking into your house.
>>
>>9305151
That's brandishing. You know idiots. Just because you know idiots is not a reason for me to not use what has worked for me very well and safely. I have not been shot but I don't wave it around, it's only use is to stop a direct threat to my life.
Frankly I'll never care what sheep like you are comfortable with, I'll be alive while you shit yourself in the shreds of milky planet.
>>
>>9305150
Not anon but using a break-in as an example doesn't help your point.
>>
>>9305154
I was saying that as soon as some real life happened to her she stopped talking shit about gun owners and wanted one herself.
>>
>>9305151
Well, the dad getting killed certainly isn't brandishing and sometimes situations you cannot get out of happen...
>>9304961
Can anyone tell me why the woman depicted is not the brightest bulb? This is a situation a gun would be useful.
>>
>Hometown, Xmas Eve 2014
>A home is on fire and the local fire department rushes to the scene
>Man inside who lit the house on fire unloads 20 rounds into the first two guys who come out of the truck
>House burns down with guy inside and two firefighters have been murdered on xmas eve

Fuck you gun owners. Stop letting this shit happen.
>>
File: tumblr_me1tpe5sZS1rr27yg.png (76KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_me1tpe5sZS1rr27yg.png
76KB, 500x374px
This thread reminded me of a nightmare I had where I was attacking a man who was going to attack my family and I. I remember being on top of him in my dream and stabbing him over and over but the man wouldn't die, and sticking the knife in him over and over felt so horribly real. Kinda fucked me up after I woke up, desu.
>>
>>9305146
You give me hope, anon. There aren't enough anons like you.
>>
>>9305189
Did you wake up with a boner?
>>
>>9305148
I don't a mind that people carry, I just don't see why that anon would want to tell me like they're my fucking frilly guardian angel. Announcing it just makes you look like a moron.

I can defend myself without a gun. Bring on the "scary situation."
>>
I'm just popping in to say that Collar bones are easy to break and completely disable the arm. Might not be the easiest to hit in a struggle, but if the person's down and you need to keep them down, go for that area.
>>
I did taekwondo as a kid and we learnt some really useful self defense moves, one that sticks out to me might not be as practical for adults but I'll share it anyway. If you're grabbed by the hand by someone taller/stronger than you, run in the opposite direction as fast as you can, this will most likely make the attacker yank you back towards them so you use that momentum to strike them in the head. My instructor made very sure to not actually be hit while demonstrating this, as he had witnessed a 6 year old girl knock out a grown man using this technique.
>>
>>9304927
>I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of suggestions here were totally impractical but

you can't even muster up the wherewithal to critique the suggestions yourself. your ignorance is cringe and your lazy logic is cringe.

>I've never experienced this kind of danger so it can't be prevalent at all! all this advice is unnecessary but I need someone else to come in and pick it apart for me!
>macing and physically fending off attackers is cute!
>>
>>9305218
That would be extremely hard to pull off without proper training on the technique. I have seen some amazing videos showcasing what can be done with martial arts though so I don't doubt it at all.
>>
>>9304848
Why do you need 'cute' self defense gear? Your assailant isn't gonna care if your brass knuckles are shaped like a cute pink kitty or not, and you'll just look like an edgelord
>>
>>9305148
One of those people said that guns were illegal where they live though. It may be hard for you to see why people wouldn't have a gun for self defence but remember it's not legal, necessary or practical everywhere.
>>
>>9305146
Not either of the anons you replied to but I am also comfortable with guns, which is sad because I'm just not comfortable with random strangers rushing in to save the day because they're armed. So many gun owners I've met have been absolute idiots who can't shoot for shit. They might want to protect themselves but I'd rather protect the general public from their crappy marksmanship. If someone tells me they're armed, I don't feel safe until I know they know how to properly handle the weapon.
>>
My dad taught me self defense. I used to be a massive weeb and wanted to "fight like they do in Animu" so my dad taught me how to fight, use a knife and eventually shoot a gun. I personally don't carry firearms, but I do have a knife and pepper gel as well as Mace on my person at all times, especially since I used to live in bad neighborhoods; those lessons and tools have always come in handy. Also, for those looking for pepper spray, I would highly recommend police grade pepper gel or spray. It's pricier, but your safety is more important
>>
>>9305187

A-Are you retarded?
>>
>>9305164
>how to survive a school or workplace shooting
>>
Kek worthy how paranoid you all are, just get a damn gun if you're in a place that allows such things, if you're not allowed to have a gun consider moving out of the middle east
>>
>>9304848
As important as it is for women to have this conversation, I do not think it is a relevant board topic
I carry a Taser x2 Defender in my purse, or strapped to my leg underneath my skirt if it doesn't fit there
>>
>>9305296
Probably because it makes it less noticable.
>>
>>9304895
America is crazy
>>
File: tumblr_oa2b60Voia1syf5uzo3_540.png (148KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oa2b60Voia1syf5uzo3_540.png
148KB, 540x304px
>americans thinking they need guns

man you guys are nuts

also this is literally so off topic at this point, take your batshit nonsense elsewhere
>>
File: 1480648664660m.jpg (108KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1480648664660m.jpg
108KB, 768x1024px
>>9305474

You don't know my life, fuck you faggot.
>>
>>9305484
Yikes
>>
>>9304927
If people were bringing guns to my school or lolita meet I would be scared and paranoid too.

>>9304932
>they are where you least expect it.
But its a widely known fact that most women get raped by someone they know.

>>9304985
Exactly half the girls I know who got raped, got raped by their boyfriend.

>>9305088
>With a gun you can fight back from a distance
In what situation would this be necessary? Do you live in Syria?
>>
>>9304891
Iirc there's actually a phone number you can call when you feel uncomfortable in that sort of situation (e.g. walking alone at dark), but I only know that it's Germany-based and probably won't work/will be very expensive for foreign phone numbers. Does anyone know if there's something like that for other countries, too?
It's pretty neat, haven't tried it myself because I do call my mother in cases like that.

I've unfortunately been harassed while wearing larme, the most uncomfortable incident was a fucking pedo touching my thigh at the bus station in broad daylight. The mildest but still uncomfortable moments are men staring at me. Been thinking about getting these little charms that make very loud high pitched alarm noises when activated. I live in a big city, so it'd definitely gonna get attention.
>>
I took a women's self-defense class that was moderated and taught by police officers, and the girls in my class actually put through an individual simulation at the very last class where we had to pretend we were getting robbed at an ATM. Since I took a beginner class, they taught us enough self-defense skills so we can escape from the situation. The advanced class, which I haven't taken yet, teaches more techniques for multiple situations, such as extended combat and dealing with multiple attackers at once. Overall, the class helped a lot, and I feel a lot more confident about knowing what to do should I get jumped.

>>9304901
In terms for putting your keys between your knuckles, the teachers in my class actually advised against doing so because it will cause more harm to yourself if you try it on an attacker. If you absolutely have to, however, then hold your key between your thumb and index finger.
>>
>>9305474
>>americans thinking they need guns
>man you guys are nuts

>Carry weapon for defense
>don't carry the most power you possibly can
You're going to need it
it's going to be found wanting
And you are going to die because you half-assed your protection.
>>
Tasers are electric muskets
Pepper spray is defeated by a $3 painting mask
Blades, kubotans and other striking weapons are for optimists and trained fighters

Do not take chances with your life
Carry a gun
>>
>>9305545
It would be dangerous as hell for me to carry a gun because I don't have the skill to keep someone from stealing it
>>
>>9305542
Am not going to die because robbers dont have guns in my country unless they are in some organized criminal organisation in which case they wont bother with me
>>
One of my favourite things about Lolita is that in addition to the pepper spray I always carry in my purse, I can pretty easily conceal a gun if I need to thanks to fluffy pettis. I've also taken self defense classes.

I probably sound like a paranoid redneck American or something, but the world is full of terrible people. More terrible than I imagine anyone accusing of anyone else of being paranoid in this thread realises.
I've seen some shit, gulls. There's a pretty sizeable dark underbelly in this world we live in- bigger than most people seem to realise, full of people that don't get caught. I've seen it with my own eyes- It's everywhere, and I'm not falling victim to it again.
>>
>>9305556
I know how evil people can be but carrying guns is American culture. You are not carrying a gun because you have seen some unspecified shit, you are carrying it because you live in the US.
>>
With regards to guns, weapons, and self-defense martial arts in general: If you aren't confident and well trained, you are just going to make things worse.

If you're nervous about using a gun/knife/etc, you're going to hurt yourself at best and give your attacker something to take and use against you at worse. And if your weapon isn't easily accessibly, you're just going to give your attacker more time to attack you. (And probably find your dinky "kawaii" knife in the process.) I keep a utility knife in my bag for other reasons, but I keep it well stashed because I know in case of an attack, I don't want anyone involved getting their hands on it.

If you aren't confident you can throw a disabling punch, you're just wasting time you could have spent getting your ass out of there. I do believe that self-defense instruction can be one of the more helpful assets, but your goal should ultimately be to escape and run the fuck away ASAP. The most helpful asset you can have is a lot of situational awareness, and healthy amount of common sense.
>>
>>9305296
OP here. It was mainly to keep the thread more cgl related since cgl is a pretty fashiony board
>>
>>9305495
>But its a widely known fact that most women get raped by someone they know

sorry i didn't know that when i was eight
>>
>>9305608
I wasn't talking about when you were 8, I replied to you telling people they are where you least expect it.
>>
>>9305614
even then, most people don't EXPECT their family and friends to do something like that. that just proves my point.
>>
>>9304848
W... which one? link please?
>>
>>9305497
>a fucking pedo touching my thigh at the bus station in broad daylight
this is an over-18s board

unless he was touching you, an over-18, while going on about how much he loved molesting children or something.
>>
>>9305577
Britfag here so obviously coming from a non-US perspective, but the police here are always coming into schools to tell people that carrying a knife is more likely to get you knifed than save you from danger, since pulling it out escalates the situation and it's so easy for people to overpower you and turn it on you. I know two people that got stabbed, and neither of them would have been able to avoid it by carrying an (illegal here) knife.
>>
>>9305635
Im 21, the pedo asked "Are you a little girl" and then touched me. It just made it extra gross to me.
>>
File: 1399373609638.jpg (12KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1399373609638.jpg
12KB, 400x225px
>>9305652

Maybe he was making sure you WEREN'T underage? Ever thought about that?

Sounds like a true gentleman.
>>
>>9305495

Please gas yourself
>>
>>9305497

>Men staring at me
If they're just looking why the fuck does it matter? Anyways EVERYONE is probably staring at you dumbass.

It's just how this fashion is.
>>
>>9305551

>not gonna die cuz robbers don't have guns
>someone needing a gun to kill you

Hmm....
>>
>>9305652
Jesus.
>>
>>9305691
Why would a robber want to kill someone?
>>
>>9305569
I'm not originally from the US though. Why would I do something just because it's US culture when I've only been here a couple of years maximum?
>>
>>9305706
Plans goes awry sometimes anon
>>
>>9305707
Criminals in the US have a different approach to committing crimes than other countries' criminals because of American gun culture. It makes sense for you to carry a gun in America because whoever you're using it on is also using a gun, and everything in our culture tells us that guns are ideal for combat.
If you were say, >>9305551 or in another no-gun country, it would not make sense to carry a gun because people aren't using guns there, and the criminals' first strategy for a crime isn't to use a gun.
>>
File: 1444073828445.png (452KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
1444073828445.png
452KB, 400x600px
>>9305666
Mind = Blown

I actually talked to some girls who came to the bus station a few minutes after he left and turns out that he's been harassing underage girls as well.
>ask two girls if they have seen that guy around
>they know him, he has been creepy to them in the past
>one of them is 17, she tells me that he once asked her if she's a good kisser or something

>>9305690
I'm talking about these very intense stares that don't stop until they or I leave. I don't mind stares that aren't this intent, Germany is so damn unfashionable that dressing somewhat cute and elegant makes you stand out.

I'm not uncomfortable enough to stop dressing larme, though.
>>
>>9305746
>it would not make sense to carry a gun because people aren't using guns there, and the criminals' first strategy for a crime isn't to use a gun.
Wrong, if I'm vacationing in Bongland, I still want a gun, for the fact that the most a chav or paki will have is a knife so their threat level drops to near zero as long as I'm packing. Use of equal force, i.e., 'fair fight' laws, are something I consider suicidal. You should never, ever put yourself on equal combot footing with someone who wants to harm you. Always, always, always have more firepower and the will to use it without hesitation.
>>
>>9305753
>Germany is so damn unfashionable
I thought Berlin was supposed to be fashionable. Have I been lied to?
>>
>>9305784
I grew up in Berlin, it's meh unless you go to the cool districts. The normies aren't different from anywhere else, they're all wearing jeans, fugly parkas and uggs or whatever other practical boots. The everyday wear is just so boring because Germans value practicality more.
>>
It's illegal to have guns,knives,mace and any form of knuckle dusters where I live so as cliche as it sounds I have my boyfriend protect me

He's quite tall, is training to be a police officer and is a pure gym rat so people don't pick fights with him

If I'm not with him which is rare I tend to have one of my dogs with me as even though they're big babies people tend to see rottweilers and Bordeaux as dangerous
>>
>>9305801
I spent a couple of weeks in Berlin on holiday and I was surprised how basic everyone was, Germans sure do love to be practical. In the UK, teens especially often won't wear coats even when it's really cold because they want to show off their outfit. In Berlin, everyone was sensible and wore jeans and parkas everywhere. This was a few years ago so can't speak for now, but way less women wore make-up as well, and barely any of the women who did wear make-up wore black liquid liner or other harsh styles.

>>9305769
You don't want a gun because you could get a long fucking prison sentence for being caught with one, and can't legally bring one into the country or buy one that's useable for packing.
>>
>>9305753

>Germany

How's Ahmed doing?
>>
>>9305819
I guess it might look better in summer, but even then the outfits I saw were basic and eh. Was there this summer for a week to visit old friends and check out my favourite locations and discover new ones, didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Floral print dresses, sandals, t-shirt and shorts, flats, sometimes a skirt. It's almost embarrassing how high some expectations are, but at least spring and summer tend to be colourful.
>>
>>9305769
Why would I have a gun in Murrica then, if I shouldn't be on equal footing and other people have a gun? Have tea-lengths really been for packing bazookas under this whole time?
>>
>>9305088
>I know that firearms are not always an option for people
I'm guessing you're American, cause you definitely don't have that option in Europe. At least, not here in the Netherlands. Even carrying pepper spray is illegal here.

That said, this thread made me read that doujinshi too, and wow, talking about a total nightmare. It reminds me again of the murder of Junko Furuta. Sometimes men say that women are overemotional, but vice versa these things always make me feel that men on the other hand are prone to lacking emotion, which is even scarier.
>>
>>9304848
>Women's Self Defense Classes

US:
http://www.nwmaf.org/find-a-self-defense-instructor
https://www.kravmaga.com/programs/women/
http://modelmugging.org/

Canada:
http://www.nwmaf.org/find-a-self-defense-instructor
https://www.kravmaga.com/locations/canada/

Mexico:
http://www.kmwmexico.com/

UK:
https://www.studentcentral.london/activities/training/selfdefence/
http://www.fit2fightback.com/women-self-defence-classes/
http://www.combat-academy.co.uk/womens-self-defence/
http://www.readingwomensselfdefence.co.uk/

Mainland Europe:
http://www.nwmaf.org/find-a-self-defense-instructor (Germany)
https://www.kravmaga.com/locations/licenseesaffiliates-worldwide-all-locations-list/#international

Asia:
http://www.kravmaga.co.jp/ (Japan)

>Firearm Use and Safety
http://www.nssf.org/safety/basics/
http://concealednation.org/2013/11/the-4-rules-of-gun-safety/
https://gunsafetyrules.nra.org/

>Pepper Spray use and Safety
http://modelmugging.org/pepper-spray/
http://bestpepperspray.net/how-to-use-pepper-spray/
>>
>>9304848
you mean the amputee hentai on this board???
>>
I have an EDC knife with me and I always maintain situational awareness. I also took taekwondo classes which I practice everyday.
Whenever I travel out of state to another place that prohibits carrying guns or knives, I take my mace and stun gun (always look up any outside state weapon laws if you're going to travel there) and I take note of what can be used as an improvised weapon like a pen in case I don't have a weapon on me.
I'm going to get a CC license because even though open carry is allowed in my state without a permit, I don't like the attention it brings.

Generally what I do everyday especially at cons is that I make sure no one invades my personal space so I don't accept hugs (and photos, this includes making sure there aren't any creep shots) and my personal motto is that it's safer to doubt others than give the benefit of the doubt and regret it. It might seem anti-social and being paranoid but I honestly give no fucks since I'm just being careful for my life.

I hope all of you gulls stay safe and that you may never have to use any self-defense in your lives but regardless you should always be prepared.
>>
>>9305187
I don't even know where to start with this, I'm baffled

Assuming this fire story is real, gun owners are not the reason behind it. If an individual wants to set a house on fire and shoot people, they're going to do it whether they obtain a firearm illegally or not. Gun owners typically have to pass background checks and not have any red flags for mental instability or other shit.
>>
>>9305961
none of those US sites have anything for my state
>>
>>9306136
You're safe then.
>>
>>9304927
Some people:
>omg stop victim blaming girls should be able to wander around almost naked and drunk without worry
Some other people:
>lol why so paranoid do u live in allepo

The cognitive difference between, and lack of middle ground reasonability by both groups is beyond my comprehension

Bad shit happens. Why choose to not be prepared, even if the odds are low?
>>
>>9305088
If you're going to CC then what's the point in wanting to tell others you carry? That could end up biting you in the ass. For example say you're at a comm and someone starts attacking others, those that know you're carrying could say/yell to you "you have a gun, DO something" which can alert the attacker into taking you out first. Another scenario is that it just makes them scared (or curious) and attempt to grab your gun or get you banned from your comm.

Also those keychains are good for being inconspicuous and for those that live in in an area that doesn't allow obvious weapons. Anything is better than nothing so don't feel so entitled that just because you own a gun that you can tell others what they should or shouldn't have.
>>
>>9306168
FUCKING THIS

don't fucking tell people you're carrying, keep that shit to yourselves for SO MANY reasons
>>
>>9306155
I agree. Personally, I pretty much never ever go anywhere alone. I never go out by myself when it's dark.

Strength in numbers. Unless you're crawling around the hood, chances are you won't be targeted if you aren't alone.

Also, in my opinion, while lolita makes us more liable to verbal harrassment from randos, it makes us less likely to be physically attacked. We're so different, so flamboyent, so eye-catching. If there's literally anybody besides you and the attackers in a space, chances are those people have already noticed you. You aren't just blending in. People who are going to attack people generally don't choose the target that everyone is looking at and will notice if they disappear.

If you find yourself out alone a lot, though, have an action plan. You'll probably nver have to use it. But have one.
>>
The people in this thread really are paranoid and off-topic, why hasn't it been deleted yet? There's nothing kawaii here.
>>
File: large.jpg (54KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
54KB, 500x378px
>>9305542
guns aren't legal where I live so... no, i'm not.

>americans not realising that if guns were banned, nobody would have them and you wouldn't need such a violent and destructive weapon being carried around by so many people every day
>>
>>9306228
Australia proves this wrong
The bikies have garage built machine guns

Also I shoot competitively so a ban is not an option as far as I am concerned. Neither is anything that makes my hobby harder to practice without banning anything.
>>
>>9306229
Do you think shooting competitively is not allowed in Europe? The harder it is for you to have a gun the harder it is for criminals and autists too
>>
File: screenshot-3955.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot-3955.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>9306229
Yeah, and I live IN Australia. Point there is that they use it on each other, not the unsuspecting public like all the mass shootings that go down every year in America. Shooting competitively is also totally allowed here, as are hunting guns/use for farm work etc. The point is that it's very hard to get them without appropriate background checks, and none of the guns we have available are designed to kill/injure other people. Handguns and the rest of it are totally outlawed here.

The problem with you guys is what >>9306230
said- Any nutjob can get a gun that is DESIGNED to be used on other people. It's fucked.
I swear you guys will go to any length to justify your gun insanity
>>
>>9306236
Anon, there are currently more guns than people in the United States. Even if they were to go full nazi and take away all our guns there's no fucking way they could find and destroy every single gun in the united states. Hell chances are if they did that a majority of people would only hand over guns that have been registered (like NFA stuff or in cuked states that require you to register all guns). But that would never happen because it's a constitutional right here. I'm sorry your country hates freedom and has brainwashed you to hate it too.
>>
>>9306241
Different anon but I don't want the freedom to murder people
>>
>>9306241
>I'm sorry your country hates freedom and has brainwashed you to hate it too.

I'm from America and you sound absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>9306236
>they use it on each other, not the unsuspecting public
Yeah? Same thing in America. Gun violence rates in America drop by 75% if you take out black on black gang violence and suicides.
>>
I had a friend who was super well trained, and carried too, but ended up almost getting taken away by some dude because he started tickling her a whole lot and she couldn't focus on anything.

People will try anything, it doesn't matter what you do to prevent it, there's nearly always a chance you lose against people bigger than you anyway.
>>
Not sure if this was said, but if anyone tries to to take your wallet, just give it to them. Your life is worth more than money.
>>
>>9306136
Then keep looking. Google "[my state] self defense classes"
>>
>>9306155
>cognitive difference

The phrase is "cognitive dissonance" and I agree with you.
>>
For how flimsy they look those keychains like in OP are pretty effective. As someone who's sat one... I now have a vampire bite scar on my ass
>>
>Tfw only conservative in a world full of close minded liberal retards
>>
>>9305556
Do you have some deets or are you going to sprout off more paranoid nonsense? Wow you're so enlightened and kawaii!!!! omg
>>
>>9306155
Because it's a waste of time and mental energy that could be dedicated to something else. You guys are a bunch of pussies.
>>
>>9306315
iktf anon
>tfw voted trump and can't even tell anyone
>>
>>9306328
>>9306315
>not going on autistic /pol/tier rants on Facebook about Jews and immigrants and secret pizza related pedophile rings for all your friends, family and co-workers to see
Are you even real human beans?
>>
>>9306323
"It'll never happen to me" - every victim ever
>>
>>9306334
I do but I keep it low-key desu.
I mean SOME people know i support Trump but I'd never tell anyone in my comm that lmao. There's a bunch of staunch Shillary supporters there.... no thanks.
>>
>>9306182
>Personally, I pretty much never ever go anywhere alone. I never go out by myself when it's dark.
Maybe you just live in an awful area, but this is a really unrealistic standard to hold other people up to and then say if they couldn't adjust their entire life around living like a woman from the Victorian era, permanently chaperoned and never out at night, they just weren't careful enough. It is really unfeasible to live like that in a lot of places.

I live in the Northern hemisphere. In December, it's pitch dark at 4pm. It's dark when I leave the house in the morning and dark when I come home at night. I live with two friends who have totally different schedules to me, so I have to travel to and from work alone and nearly always go to and from university alone as well. I go to and from meets alone. I work weekends so I have to go grocery shopping in the evening. This is just normal everyday life stuff without accounting for partying or socialising.
>>
>>9306228
They are banned in Cali, doesn't stop the gangs or that extremist couple from stockpiling weapons.
>>
>>9306394
guns aren't banned as a whole in cali.
They're heavily regulated but not entirely banned.

The bans/ regulations don't stop criminals from getting things though, just ensure that law abiding citizens don't have equal force if a criminal uses something banned against them
>>
>>9304898
I have had severe depression since I was young. I have over 35 firearms. Three are within reach of me right now.

The urge to shoot myself is outweighed by my urge to protect my family.
>>
>>9306357
I know the guy who just cosplayed Trump at ikkicon.
>>9306275
Theirs isn't.
Blat blat, two in the back. Git my fuckin' wallet back.
>>
>>9306236
>>9306230
Do you have any idea what to would have to go through to compete in those places? You yourself already said handguns are banned in aus, which KILLS MY SPORT ENTIRELY.

It's no coincidence that guns best designed for fighting are the best for competition. And defense. I don't care that it keeps them out of the hands of street urchins and autistics. It keeps them from me, too. Guns already cost too much as it is. I'm not paying $2k for a $700 AR-15 like the completely cucked French shooters do, and banning handguns is literally telling me I can't practice the sport I've been practicing since I was fucking 10 anymore.

Viva la Armas de Fuegos.
>>
>>9306405

While you're far from being an outlier, and I congratulate you on battling your depression successfully, your last sentence completely demonstrates the rationale for caution of use of guns in depression, especially severe depression. Good luck, and be careful.
>>
>>9306357
I genuinely wonder why anyone would support trump? I get why people didn't want to vote for Clinton (I hate her too) but Trump just seems like everything he says is made up to get attention, is there something good about him that overseas people don't know about?
>>
>>9306579
ask /pol/ they're the ones that supported Trump. They even claimed they meme'd him to presidency when he won.
>>
>>9306579
>is there something good about him that overseas people don't know about?
I think a lot of people overlooked his shortcomings because he spoke about and appealed to many Americans' attitudes about how everything is overtly politically correct and anti-immigrant rhetoric because there are some illegals who abuse welfare (for instance Washington has it's own form of Student Financial Aid for people illegally in this country because they cannot apply for Federal aid because they are, well, illegal). I also think people thought they were voting for an outsider because he was not a career politician, even though he's been nominating complete insiders for the cabinet.

>no polite sage because this thread shouldn't even be here.
>>
>>9306548
>>9306236
Handguns aren't banned in Australia, they're just VERY HEAVILY regulated. As for competition shooting, I've heard that Olympic Shooters from the UK have to travel to France to legally practice the Pistol shooting event as semi automatic pistols are generally banned in England.
>>
>>9306599
That's surprising I think because I never considered US media to be politically correct. In Europe people are also more anti-immigrant now which always happens here when things aren't going as well financially as before.
>>
>>9306608
>Just
Their regulations are not a fucking "just," I've fucking been there. They weld a goddamn bar to the frame of the pistol and chain it to the walls of the lane.

Yeah no.
>>
>>9306610
>That's surprising I think because I never considered US media to be politically correct.
That's funny, we're (Americans) are probably way more abrasive than we realize then.

>In Europe people are also more anti-immigrant now which always happens here when things aren't going as well financially as before.
Yeah, seems to be the general attitude of most of the world unfortunately.
>>
>>9306579
The engine of US politics must be shut down to be repaired, and Trump is the biggest spanner in reach. A vote for Trump is a raised middle finger to the course our country was on, a bayonet through the laptop bearing an image of Worst Girl.
>>
>>9306614
I didn't mean to remove emphasis from their restrictive gun laws. I was going to say most gun ranges have pistols tethered to the tables, but I couldn't recall the accuracy of that statement. Australia fell victim to fear following the Port Arthur Massacre and gave away the right to defend themselves in exchange for an artificial feeling of security. The shootings that that have occurred since 1996 show that even with Gun Buy Backs, extremely restrictive gun laws and out right bans, the dredges of society will continue to find and obtain weapons with which to carry out their wicked ways.
>>
>>9305569
If things keep going the way they are in the EU, especially in Germany and Sweden, soon you'll feel safer with a gun than without.
>>
>>9306323
I bet you buy lottery tickets on a regular basis
>>
>>9304935
If anon was male, he'd be more qualified, since men are more often the victims of violent crime.
>>
>>9306358
If it's dark at 4pm, you're probably be in canada, UK, northern europe, or scandinavia. Locations with much less violent crime than for example, the US south, or cities like Chicago and LA. Check your crime privilege.
>>
>>9306229
Yeah farmers need guns as well. The only reason we don't have mass shooting is because all the mentally retarded and autistic people can't access them. But knifes and the rest we still have a problem with. But with that you have a better chance then a gun.
>>
>>9306725
No, being paranoid about crime is the same as thinking you'll win the lottery. You're proving the opposite point actually lmao

I live in a normal part of an American city. There's never been a time I've been glad I've had a gun on me even at night. It's just not normal. And it would be doubly so if you lived in the suburbs.
>>
If you live in the US, get a CCL.
It is the only method of fighting back that is more effective than running away.
>>
>>9305128
>Non-lethal
Someone trying to rape or murder you has no regard for your well being, or anyone else's.
You can't afford to restrict your options.
>>
>>9305548
Your local police/sheriff's department will have courses on how to safely handle, use and draw a handgun.
You will likely be required to take this course before being issued a CCL.
>>
>>9306827
It's illegal to take the life of someone without using non-lethal methods first.
>>
>>9305569
Or, like my wife, you're Czech.

Every year, literally hundreds of thousands of violent crimes are prevented by CCL holders, the vast majority of the time, without a shot being fired.
And that's not even taking into account the herd immunity factor - criminals are far less likely to target people when they know that there's a 10% chance that their target will shoot.
By carrying, you are passively preventing violent crime.
>>
>>9305961
>KMW
Nope.

KMG or IKMF.
>>
>>9306608
Actual Australian shooter here.
Legal ownership of handguns is retardedly regulated, with little care for logic or reason.

I can't buy a .40SW handgun, because I'm not a professional IPSC shooter, but I own a .357SIG handgun, which is literally the exact same case, but with more pressure and powder.

Meanwhile, there is nothing stopping 15 year old Afghani immigrants from buying a handgun off the streets for a few hundred, or a machine gun for a grand.
The only reason we haven't had as many terror attacks here is because bikies are literally refusing to sell guns to middle easterners nowadays.
But there's always Asian gangs and the shitload of grey market guns.

In the twenty years prior to the NFA, over 2.2 million SKS type rifles were imported.
During the amnesty, just over 200 thousand were handed back.
>>
>>9306840
Where the hell do you live?

Even in my fucked up country you don't have to escalate.
You only need to use adequate force to stop the threat.

The attacker stops being a threat when they give up or are incapacitated.
If you can do that with pepper spray, great, but as someone who has been maced, I can tell you it won't stop anyone who is determined.

If someone threatens your safety, stop them, what happens to them is completely inconsequential.
>>
File: 1482603205104.gif (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1482603205104.gif
2MB, 640x480px
>>9306287
No, actually I know what cognitive dissonance is. I was talking about how different the line of thinking is, between both types of people, despite them reaching the same conclusions about safety, not how retarded they are in general. Not the same thing.
>>
>>9305060
Thigh. Femoral artery, my nigga. You're less likely to hit bone than stabbing at the neck or face. Stab, and then keep stabbing.
>>
/k/ommando cross-boarder here. I've been meaning to take some time and make a "convention self-defense education thread" for a while now. This thread nicely illustrates why I've been hesitant to do it.

Anyone saying that it's "off-topic" is fucking retarded. Conventions are an integral and inseparable aspect of the hobby of cosplay; and it's no big fucking secret that conventions are cram-packed with some less stable, rational types of people. Plus, many of the biggest ones are held in downtown city areas that are nowhere near safe - Youmacon is in downtown Detroit, and AWA is in downtown motherfucking Atlanta. A five minute perusal of ANY goddamned "con horror story" thread rapidly illustrates just why this is an important and topical thread to have.

I was planning on making a big first post (split into several, actually,) covering a variety of options, followed by good links for further reading. It's important to cover more than just "concealed carry in the US" because many people on /cgl/ live in Europe, and many others simply aren't comfortable with firearms. They deserve options for self-defense, too. In my state, tasers are legal, and in many states, stun guns are legal. Are they as good as a firearm? Maybe not - but they're a hell of a lot better than nothing for people who cannot or will not carry a pistol. If we want to have a thread on con self-defense, we need to come at it from this angle: the goal is to help our fellow cosplayers and convention goers safer - NOT to wave our fucking dicks or have arguments about who's country's national weapons laws are more fucking righteous.

For fucks sake, people, leave your god damned politics at the door and try to be constructive. This is fucking important.
>>
>>9307014
>Femoral
Good luck.
If you're small and you're trying to get that close, you will get fucked up.
Knives are not good for defence, at best they are good for deterrence.

If you MUST use a knife in defence, be very careful, slash at any attempt they make to grab you but don't go into them.
Once they're deterred, fucking run.

If you MUST stop someone with a knife, and you intend to do that with an arterial wound, you need to focus on something that will drop them quickly.
A person can continue for a minute and a half with a completely severed femoral artery before losing enough blood to pass out and die, in that time they could very well kill you.

Focus on the subclavian and the subaorta.
The subclavian sits about 2" under the collar bone, but is very easy to hit with an icepick style stab, severing this will cause incapacition almost instantly, the only thing faster is a stab to the heart.
The subaorta is the artery in their belly and is very easy to reach with a 4" blade.
It will drop someone in about a half minute.

This all said and done though, just get a CCL, it will save your life.
>>
>>9307031
>Youmacon is in downtown Detroit, and AWA is in downtown motherfucking Atlanta
Is Atlanta that bad? I've been wanting to move there.

Btw, I'm a 5'1" white girl with weak ankles.
>>
>>9307063
You'll be fine.
>>
>>9307063
It can be.
If you're going there, I'd definitely invest in some defense.
>>
Going back to situational awareness: don't be completely absorbed in your phone. I know it can be boring, but you'll be better able to notice weird types a mile away and make a mental note that they exist. Also, you'll be able to notice other people who themselves may be in situations they don't want to be in.

One time at an anime convention I complemented another lolita on her coord, and it went into a polite conversation about Bodyline. A dude who had been behind her eventually parted, and I asked her in a low tone of voice whether that had been her boyfriend. She said no, and in fact he had been a strange following her and bothering her after he witnessed her buying an anime figure. I was shocked and embarrassed that I had jumped to the completely opposite conclusion, but she said she was just happy that I provided her a graceful way out of the situation.
>>
>>9305542
where i live you can have self defense but using a gun is considered excessive force and would get you put away for a long time. also. board full of tiny lolitas and you expect them to be able to even shoot a gun without dislocating their arm
>>
>>9307063
Atlanta is fine. It's a city with crime, but if you're smart and live in a decent part of the the city you'll be fine.
>>
>>9307090
Stop talking out of your ass there are plenty of guns that have low recoil that even petite thin people can use.
>>
Be loud and make a scene if you're in a place where some one could here you.

The worst that happened to me is got separated from some friends once in this big bar road in Bangkok on a trip, packed to the point that if you turn around for a minute your group could be gone and you wouldnt realize it. So I sat down and decided to wait till I saw them walk past again instead of get lost. A guy grabbed me by the arm and forced me to my feet, and kept saying "you come with me now"

I screamed I kicked I made the most noise I could. Didnt take long till people were staring and he let go and ran off after another tourist threatened him if he didnt let go of me. I'm glad I wasnt intoxicated at the time or things could have gone pretty bad.
>>
File: 494733791_vSJvi-2100x20000.jpg (576KB, 2100x1052px) Image search: [Google]
494733791_vSJvi-2100x20000.jpg
576KB, 2100x1052px
>>9307095
>and live in a decent part of the the city you'll be fine.

Every fucking time.

>it's literally called scarytown dude
>well it depends on where you go
>>
File: SIG-NEW-P238-Rainbow-661x496.jpg (70KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
SIG-NEW-P238-Rainbow-661x496.jpg
70KB, 661x496px
>>9307090
>also. board full of tiny lolitas and you expect them to be able to even shoot a gun without dislocating their arm

This, right here, is 80% of why I wanted to do a self-defense thread for /cgl/, misconceptions like this. Not only are there ridiculously small guns on the market, they even have shiny pretty ones just for the girls.
>>
File: 1483374724638.jpg (9KB, 228x218px) Image search: [Google]
1483374724638.jpg
9KB, 228x218px
>>9306536
>Blat blat, two in the back. Git my fuckin' wallet back.
>>
>>9305060
Do you have a good place to get a inverted leg carry? It would make me feel a lot safer.
>>
>>9307090
Come off it, even children can handle .40SW.
If you're really concerned, try a pocket pistol in something like .32ACP or .380, they're definitely less powerful than conventional rounds, but they'll still change an attacker's mind.
>>
>>9306334
>secret pizza related pedophile rings

ahahahahahaha oh god, it never ceases to crack me up. I watched those people forming that... *thing* in realtime over on /pol/ and it *still* cracks me up. You have to understand that a lot of /pol/ posters spend their free time there as a hobby, so they indulge in building up these dramatic conspiracy theories with each other, kind of like a game. If even one-tenth of them actually believe it, I'd be surprised. Then again, these are people who spend most of their free time on /pol/ so, yeah.

But yeah, do not look to /pol/ for... just don't look to /pol/. Period. It's better for your health.
>>
>>9307163
>I watched those people forming that... *thing* in realtime over on /pol/ and it *still* cracks me up. You have to understand that a lot of /pol/ posters spend their free time there as a hobby, so they indulge in building up these dramatic conspiracy theories with each other, kind of like a game. If even one-tenth of them actually believe it, I'd be surprised.
Honestly, I don't believe ALL of it, but there is something weird going on with at least the Podestas.

I could explain away everything except for the email about the "pizza" related "map" on his hankerchief, that he would desperately want.
That has to be code fro something, and the only explanation I could find was the one provided, that it matched up perfectly with FBI documented slang for child abuse.

Also, that one email from a woman, offering her 10 and 12 year old daughters as "entertainment" at a "pool party" she wasn't attending, but was seemingly to be attended by a bunch of adult men.

I don't believe there's a government wide child abuse conspiracy, like /pol/ seems to, but it's entirely feasible that a few government officials are colluding in a child sex ring - one was found to be operating in the British parliament, why not the US government?
>>
>>9306701
Why especially in Sweden? It's one of the savest countries I've lived in
>>
>>9306358
I'm not holding other people to that standard, just sharing my personal experience. I'm not the victim blaming type.
>>
>>9306841
It's so interesting to see how gun-nuts think. If only it were true.
>>
>>9306841
>Czech
I think most of us were talking about Northwestern European culture when talking 'Europe'. Central/East/South Europe are culturally pretty different from our group of countries to begin with, so I can imagine laws are different too (especially in the former communistic countries).

>>9306258
Same here. Freedom and safety are considered polar opposites in a way. Sometimes, and definitely in regards to weapons, less freedom means more safety.

>>9306701
Not really, since the chance that my attacker will have a gun now instead of a knife will also raise up from 20% to 95%. And considering I suck at aiming, I'm sure I'll get shot first.

Btw here's a non violent tip: if you see a shady person at night while walking home, grab your phone and start calling someone or pretend you are.
>>
>>9307277
>grab your phone and start calling someone or pretend you are.
This is some of the best advice so far. I live in the worst area of my city and all that happens is that creepy men try to follow me home sometimes. This thread makes it sound like people in the US frequently experience violent life or death situations.
>>
>>9307268
But it is.

Responsible CCL holders save lives and are the best form of passive crime deterrent.
>>
>>9307326
This, there have been polls in Texas before, and it's gotten to the point that the only home invasions are by hardened gangbangers and cartellos these days because they're the only ones not scared to piss of being gunned down in seconds.
>>
>>9307277
>>9307283
>Btw here's a non violent tip: if you see a shady person at night while walking home, grab your phone and start calling someone or pretend you are.

Good luck with that. The world of human trafficking is real and prevalent in all nations. It's not just men that abduct women and it's not just girls that are abducted. If you're pretty, and slim, and you are seen walking alone frequently, you up your chances of becoming a target. They force you at gun point into a vehicle, they will beat you, they will starve you, they will brand you among other worse things. Their goal it to break your will to get you to fear and obey them. After beating you repeatedly, they will inject you with heroin to make you a slave to them. Believing that non-violent ideals will protect you from being a target is like believing a bull will not charge you because you are a vegetarian. Don't go places alone, train in situational awareness and some form of self defense and don't become a statistic. But if you do have to go places alone that are lonely stretches of road or shady areas, your best bet is a gun like this anon suggests >>9307326. When a person disappears to human trafficking, they rarely resurface. If you're abducted, your new owners will take you from state to state with a group of other broken women. Police cannot patrol all the highways, rivers, and interstates. Those are the major veins of sex trafficking. You won't ever see home again.

I'm just warning you guys because I know, and I care.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/29/husband-california-mom-kidnapped-while-jogging-reveals-details-her-ordeal.html
>>
>>9307342
That doesn't happen in my country
>>
>>9306619
>A vote for Trump is a raised middle finger to the course our country was on

Uuuu an expanding economy that is seeing job growth and recovery coming out of the great recession; with expanded beifits so more Americans could have acquit medical care; with no real foreign advetures or major terrorist attacks, or for that matter real scandals in the last 8 years? That hellscape of a direction we were on?

Like real talk will you feel guilty when the world economy gets mangled and america is a much weaker country because you let a mediocre business boy run the most powerful nation on earth? Or will it still some how be Obama's fault 3 years in?
>>
>>9307346
You have to go back hombre.
>>
>>9307090
>where i live you can have self defense but using a gun is considered excessive force

What a lot of folks in their thread don't realize that even in places with concealed carry and self-defense laws, you can not use lethal force unless if your life is in immediate danger. Even if some mugger grabs you by your wig and demands your purse, you can not just shoot them in the face. (Even if your purse is brand.)
>>
>>9307342
To add to this, don't be resigned to simply getting a gun.

Go take a CCL course or at least a safe handling course - you don't have to buy a gun, you don't have to own a gun if you don't feel comfortable - but please, learn how to safely handle one, it could very easily save your life or someone else's one day.
Negligence is the number one killer when it comes to cars, guns, tools, even fucking walking - simply knowing how to make a gun safe and how to handle it can save lives.
>>
>>9307388
This, but you need to understand what constitutes a threat to your life and quality of life.

If some dude is chasing you down, you don't have to ascertain if he wants to rape you, kill you, or just wants your bag - you don't have to let that happen before you know that you can defend yourself.
You have the right, in that moment, to eliminate the threat, before he reaches you.

Same with home defence in castle law states, if you see an intruder in your home, you don't need to ascertain their intentions, you don't need to identify yourself, you can just shoot.

https://youtu.be/16UhryVa0O4
>>
>>9307345
It happens in every country.

Unless you live in the Vatican, it is happening and on a regular basis.
>>
>>9306855
The UK. There was a big incident around my neighbourhood where a guy killed an intruder into his house and crippled the other.

There was a big inquiry about it but it ended up being dismissed because he first gave warnings to them and only put the guy down after he tried to make another move.
>>
>>9305588
if you need to shoehorn it in it doesn't belong here
back to /k/ with you
>>
>>9307416
No it doesn't. There are hundreds of refugees in my city, eastern europeans, drug addicts... It would be paranoid to think human traffickers would target me.
>>
>>9307431
Same here in Australia.

An old fella shot a couple of intruders that were breaking down his bedroom door as he was screaming at them to stop.
His wife was bedridden at the time.

The cops were going to press charges against him, but a fuck load of people protested at the courthouse; I'm proud to say I was one of them.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/grandfather-had-right-to-selfdefence-police-20090218-8bqk.html
>>
>>9307437
If you're more profitable they would.
>>
For some psychological self defense, I highly recommend the book The Gift of Fear. Despite the title, after reading it I felt much more comfortable going out in public, because I had a little more understanding of what specific behaviours to look out for while using one's natural fears/instincts/inklings, instead of letting that fear go to just anything and everything while being out.

I'd consider it like a sort of social equivalent of a defensive driving course. Sure, you COULD avoid encountering dangerous people by eliminating social contact altogether, but for most of us that is neither practical nor healthy. Most of the population is sane, it's just a matter of figuring out who the few awful crazies are, and evading their tactics.

A lot of public libraries have a copy of the book, too. There was a large number of people in the wait list for it at my local library, but once I got it, it was a fast read. It reads like a thriller, as all stories described in it were real-life incidents, but at the same time it would be inaccurate to describe the book as scare-mongering, because it follows up each story with reasoning of just why a certain behaviour seemed socially "off", and what social behaviour can then in turn throw the perpetrator off.
>>
>>9306269
But I'm gay
>>
>>9307434
I'm not talking about guns. I was speaking about simple self-defense. (Which was what this thread was about before a bunch of gun nuts got a hold of it). And the reason I did it is because there are a lot of cosplay creeps and weirdos who think lolita's ageplay. Also a really violent rape doujin was posted in the feels thread and it left me (and probably others) a bit messed up. I'm actually against guns and unnecessary violence too, thank you very much.
>>
>>9307533
And I'm telling you, I'm a big guy (I deadlift 200kg), I've trained in martial arts my entire life and I BARELY survived an attack.

I was attacked by two guys, one with a knife and another with a steel pole.
I came so close to dying, even with all my training, all my size and all my luck.

A self defence class can teach you how to kick someone in the groin and scream for help, but it can't make you equal to two drug fucked cunts who want to hurt you.

The only things that will, is a solid understanding of the mindset of the survivor and a decent force multiplier.

Someone intending to harm you has no boundaries, they will rape you, sodomise you, stab you, shoot you - they don't have a bridge too far, it is naive to think that you can set limitations to the conflict - you need to fight for your life and don't hold back.

A CCL and a gun is the only reliable force multiplier, especially when defending against multiple assailants.
>>
>>9307524
Do you think that book would be helpful for people who dont have very good natural instincts? I'm pretty secure myself when im out and about,but i have a few friends who dont have good natural instincts and i worry about them since they are too trusting and dont seem to be able to identify that vaguely "off" behaviour. Maybe i should recommend it to them
>>
>>9307545
>A CCL and a gun is the only reliable force multiplier

>pull out a gun I'm now x2 stronger than my assailant
>he pulls out a gun he's now x2 as strong as before
>I pull out my second gun, the assailant can do the math, I'm now x4
>assailant walks away in frustration at my whopping x4 force multiplier.
heh heh everytime.
>>
>>9307560
Just wait till you start getting into force factors, that's where the real shit is.
>>
>>9307545
>can't make you equal to two drug fucked cunts who want to hurt you
goddamn im so glad i don't live in a high drug use-rate area anymore. I've always been good at de-escalating situations, but the drug users i encountered were so unpredictable
>>
>>9307565
You can de-escalate a pothead, not exactly the same situation with someone who's on stimulants or amphetamines.

Plus, Meth is a hell of a drug, and it's everywhere.

The poorer the area, the more shake'n'bake that goes on.
>>
>>9307570
oh yeah, never had problems with stoners haha. it was meth and crack that were popular in my area. I had a crackhead flatmate at one point, that was the worst
>>
>>9307578
Fuck that noise.
I have one crackhead working for me now, he's been clean for the most part, but I make sure he knows how fucking fine the line is.
>>
>>9307283
I'm glad you think so. Just trying to help along.
>>9307342
I've already mentioned I'm not good with guns before, and I'm European, so I can't get one even if I wanted to. If I have a gun, and they also have a gun, I'm out. If I have a gun and they don't.. well that would be good, but also a chance of 0.00001%. Those criminals from the news article also had a gun.

Btw don't underestimate the fact that most criminals are opportunists. If they know you can call for help, they tend to see it as something that breaks the opportunity to attack you without a trail.

>>9307345
Wouldn't say it doesn't happen in my country, but the chance of it happening is pretty freaking small. The common type of human trafficking in my country are called 'loverboys', young men who basically seek out naive teenage girls with a bad family background, pretend they are the best boyfriend ever, and then manipulate the girl into prostitution.
>>
>>9307533
>I'm actually against guns and unnecessary violence too, thank you very much.
Ha ha try using that line on your attacker if you ever get attacked, especially if they have a gun.

If you didn't notice /k/'s board is labeled as "Weapons" not just guns and they occasionally talk about other options for people that can't own guns or knives.
You also didn't specify what weapons you didn't want as an option to discuss in your first post so well, your fault. Regardless all of us should know any and all options so you shouldn't be so selfish and say we can't recommend guns to the other people in this thread. Although simple self-defense options are just as important to discuss because cons usually don't allow actual weapons.
I will say I'm glad you made this thread though because I agree due to all the con horror threads that the gulls here should really know self-defense for conventions so thanks for that.
>>
>>9305484
Book by Trump. Nuff said.
>>
>>9305128
This. The only person I know who likely carries at local meets is the batshit husband of a redneck ita. I've posted one of his crazy rants here before.
>>
>>9306855
Middle European here. If I defended myself from an assault and ended up seriously crippling the attacker, they might sue me and might actually win the case. You are always required to use the least force possible. However, it also depends on how you explain yourself. As a really small girl with a baby face, I could probably hurt my attacker with illegal mace and smash their balls in and still get away with it in court because I could cry and act all scared.
>>
>>9307262
Anon probably just went down the "countries not being dicks towards refugees will regret it soon"-road without any actual arguments.
>>
>>9307533
Uh, a gun is my chosen self-defense. ...How did you not know that is included?
Looking at Cerakote coating my hand gun with a cute white and pink design.
>>
>>9305484
>Light beer.
What is it with Americans and terrible weak beer?
>>
>>9308025
It's everywhere and they don't know any better. Wish I was in Germany for that quality beer.
>>
>>9308029
A lot of German beer is honestly quite boring as well, Czech beer is the best.
>>
>>9307345
If you think it doesn't happen in your country, you're naive and need to wake the fuck up.
It's literally everywhere.
>>
File: 1478725628833.jpg (60KB, 341x353px) Image search: [Google]
1478725628833.jpg
60KB, 341x353px
>>9307533
>Starts self defense thread
>Gets upset when people bring up guns

Guns are a valid form of self defense in several places. Someone is inevitably going to say that they carry a gun when they go out. Are you too stupid to realise that it would get posted? Ofc guns are going to be brought up.
>>
>>9307905
See, where I live possession and use of pepper spray is only legal for "Vulnerable Persons", which is defined by the officer.
My wife was forced to throw out her pepper spray when she was stopped and searched, she's 45kg sopping wet.
>>
>>9307277
>Central/East/South Europe are culturally pretty different from our group of countries to begin with
No they're not, you're just cherry picking.
Eastern Europe is considered Europe whether your uncultured American ass likes it or not, and is in fact more European than the UK (that considers itself different to the point of leaving the EU). Redefining Europe won't help your argument, as guns are widespread in Switzerland as well. Go back to school.
>>
>>9307905
Depends on the courts

>>9308136
Yeah that shits retarded

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/denmark/12125645/Danish-girl-who-used-pepper-spray-on-attacker-faces-prosecution.html
>>
>>9308141
Maybe you should go back to school and learn to read. I never said Eastern Europe isn't Europe, I'm just saying that Europe is not one big group, but more 'same but different', just like for example East and Southeast Asia are same but different. And this is coming from a Northwestern European, and from a country that is actually in the EU. What else did you think I meant by 'our group of countries'?! If you think we are all the same, then tell my why people from my country think of Italy or the Czech Republic as exotic? Europe is a gradient of several cultures, and the further the other country, the more different the culture. It's just common sense really. Countries on the total east side like Romania, Greece, and Turkey definitely differ culturally from my country too in that sense. So if the law differs too, I wouldn't be surprised about.
>>
>>9307349
My family has roots back to colonial America you cuck. Stop dodging the question.
>>
File: IMG_20161025_104510.jpg (217KB, 1280x1144px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161025_104510.jpg
217KB, 1280x1144px
>>9305484
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>9308585
>then tell my why people from my country think of Italy or the Czech Republic as exotic?
Because they're retarded and don't actually know/care to know anything about it? Westerners in general tend to either think we're exotic prostitutes or job-stealing lepers. If you actually bothered to learn anything about literally any country in Eastern Europe you'd know that it's really not so different seeing as most of our constitutions, pop culture and vocabulary tends to have been modeled after Germany or some other dominant economy at the time when the country was created. The fact that you treat us like '''exotic''' savages does not mean we actually are it, and unlike you our schools actually teach us about different countries in both the East and West so I know what I'm talking about when I say you're absolutely chock full of shit.
>>
Okay, I wrote up 3,000 words or so on basic awareness, safety, and self-defense covering the following:

* How to see danger coming, and where it's most likely to happen,
* What to do about it when you notice it,
* The psychology of criminals and how it affects you,
* Your options vis a vis self-defense tools, pros and cons, difficulties and costs of obtaining them and legal considerations to know of, esp. in the context of traveling between states to conventions.

Plus a lot of links to other information, resources, etc. The difficulty is in tailoring this to the "con experience," while there's plenty of info out there on how to deal with muggers and such, there's considerably less on how to tackle issues unique to grope-happy cheeto-dusted CHUDs creeping on people at cons. Any /cgl/ specific issues that seem to crop up time and again I should address? How/when to contact con security? What constitutes a "danger sign" in a crowded convention? When it constitutes stalking? How to approach con security about it? Etc?
>>
>>9308634
I'm a different anon also from Northernwest Europe and it sounds ridiculous to me to call Eastern Europeans exotic. I just have an image of Eastern European counties being more Christian and Latin countries more chill (except France).
>>
>>9308634
Well I've learned the same, so what point do you want to proof there? Savages is your word, I don't see any European as savage, but I do think every part of Europe has a different vibe to it. But keep on dreaming that Europe is one and the same culture like the USA.
>>
How the fuck is this thread still up? Janitors please.
>>
>>9309003
>one and the same culture like the USA
Different anon — I agree with your general point but come on, the USA does have some pretty distinct geographical cultural differences.
>>
Just moved to a city known for crime and drugs. I took a self defense class before moving, carry an alarm on my keychain, and always try to stay aware of my surroundings. If it's dark outside I'll be sure to be on the phone with someone and tell them where I am so if anything happens they can (hopefully) call the police and I can get help sooner.

A friend of mine said if she ever got attacked she'd stretch her arms out, start spinning in a circle, and make loud noises in hopes of making the attacker think she's a weirdo and run away. Not sure if that'd work but I often think about it when I'm walking alone at night.

>>9304909
>I'll change my entire outfit just because I have to walk somewhere at night.
Never thought of that. I won't wear sweat pants though because they'd be easy to pull down.

>>9304914
>don't ever judge someone's likelihood to be a predator based off appearance.
Very guilty of this. I ignore everyone standing next to Walgreens as I leave for my car but I'd be more inclined to answer a clean cut man's question than a noticeable hobo.
>>
>>9306271
>tickling
Shit. That's a low blow.
>>
>>9307090
>Be me
>"""Tiny lolita"""
>Enjoy trimming the trees over the power lines in my yard with 12 gauge double aught buck

Now if I could just find a more kawaii cc than my Ruger lcp ... maybe a cute pearl handled revolver or something. I was wanting a judge but that's not very cute
>>
>>9307388
This is wrong. Differs from state to state and country to country. Good rule of thumb in the US based on commonlaw is to use reasonable, non excessive force to protect yourself or another. Deadly force is reasonable where you have a reasonable fear of imminent death or grievous bodily injury to yourself or another

T. Lawyer
>>
>>9307388
never hearing of Castle Doctrine or Stand your Ground states

It's so cute when idiots think they know everything.
>>
>>9307524
>The Gift of Fear.
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/ws4zspotelp3emk/The%20Gift%20of%20Fear.pdf?dl=0

I found a free pdf version for everyone
>>
>Tfw live in a nice no crime rural suburban area

Hehe take that city slickers
>>
>>9309722

Added to my writeup, thanks.

>>9309379
>>Enjoy trimming the trees over the power lines in my yard with 12 gauge double aught buck

THEY DO EXIST

As for kawaii shit, check out North American Arms wee .22 caliber revolvers, heh
>>
>>9309769
>NAA .22 revolvers
that's some kawaii shit right there; not very practical but kawaii af
>>
>>9309769
Meh, useful if I'm a point blank hitman or being attack by squirrels.
>>
>>9309379
There is that disgusting Curve handgun.

Maybe look at Kahr, they're a bit weird, but they're honestly great for the price and the size.

Personally I'm an Ausfag, so I just have my Glock 17 for now, looking at getting a CZ-75 in .357SIG.

Fucking wish I lived in the US, maybe somewhere comfy like Vermont.
>>
>>9304848
S-sauce anon?
>>
File: Angry_Mummy_Pig.jpg (12KB, 326x272px) Image search: [Google]
Angry_Mummy_Pig.jpg
12KB, 326x272px
>>9309003
Yeah, because east coast America, west coast America, midwestern America, deep south America, urban America, and rural America are all "one in the same culture" and totally indistinguishable than one another. And all the different ethnic groups within the States are all one in the same too. America is the same all over, no diversity or anything whatsoever. The Native Americans and Asian Americans are one in the same culture, all right! Totally exactly the same thing.
>>
>>9310551
But those differences are like the different cultures within in Spain, the US does have several cultures but you also have American culture
>>
>>9310817
You've never been to the south? The north doesn't even have sweet tea.
>>
>>9310895
I've never been to the US but I work in a hotel where around 3/4 of the guests are from the US. Culture is also how you behave. There are differences but there are also differences in culture between people from Nice and Paris, or Seville and Madrid. Those differences are not as much as people from completely different countries tough.
>>
>>9310902

>min wage slave
>making guesses about the culture of a country larger than europe

ok
>>
>>9307558
Definitely. The book also acknowledges that there are various levels of risk awareness between individuals due to upbringing and other factors.

My guess is that your friends actually do have some level of instinct about what is abnormal human behavior (just by being exposed to normal human behavior most of their lives), but it's not as hired as yours. So when those alarm bells of "this is weird" ring in their heads, they don't know what exactly to look out for, so they go to the default social rule of "be polite and don't raise a fuss, especially when there's no specific thing to complain about". The book identifies WHICH specific behaviour is setting off those natural alarm bells in the first place, and that it's not just their imagination. It also describes how to extricate yourself from the situation while not setting off the potential attacker.
>>
>>9310917
I make 18 euro per hour as a receptionist and hostess so whatever, keep pretending there's no American culture.
>>
>>9310963
>over thousands of years
4chan boards have cultures your argument is invalid
>>
>>9310963
I think culture has a broader meaning than that. When I think of US culture I think of people who make smalltalk with strangers, exceptionalism, unhealthy food, tipping, competitions, halloween, thanksgiving and christmas eve, pop culture, guns, and everything is really, really big. Big streets, big fridge, big cups etc. Asking people how they are as a greeting (without wanting to hear about their problems, you have this in common with the UK). Can you assign these things to only 1 state? Going outside in sweatpants without doing hair and makeup, the American dream, credit cards, watching television, I could go on...
>>
File: pix151333419.jpg (40KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
pix151333419.jpg
40KB, 640x360px
>>9309794
the Kahr tiffany blue is very cute, but I don't like the modern style of internal hammers and no trigger safety. I don't understand how it is safe to carry. Maybe if I stop being poorfag status, I can get a belaire. This is pretty cute, right? Otherwise custom cerakote on a sig might work. Have you heard how well it holds up on slides? I saw a green one on gunbroker that looked pretty good, but I think I'd like teal or blue and white since I just started to get really into modern sweet AP
>>
>>9310982
The fact is that you don't undetstand what the word culture means
>>
File: pix219497346.jpg (124KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
pix219497346.jpg
124KB, 640x640px
>>9310984
>>9310985
OT. please post cute loliable weaps ITT only
>>
>>9310963
>>9310974
>>9310981
>>9310982
>>9310984
>>9310985
lel
>>9310987
this plz
>>
anyone know of a cute tactical knife? Gerber only has ugly ones
>>
>>9310987
This thread is mostly off topic and should have been deleted ages ago
>>
>>9307063
First off, anon doesn't know shit because AWA is no where near downtown Atlanta. Momo is. Second, as a 5'5 white girl with no physical prowess whatsoever who lives in a cheap ass downtown apartment and walks everywhere, as long as there are moving cars on the street you're never in danger. I feel way more comfortable in downtown and midtown than in the suburbs desu.
>>
>>9310983
Cerakote holds up quite well, but for the price you can easily get it airbrushed.
>>
>>9310998
>Gerber
Shit quality too.
Honestly, what you consider cute may be subjective.

For the cheaper end, look at Kershaw, but if you want to spend about $200-300, Spyderco has some truly great options (IIRC they did make a sprint run candy pink PM2).

Past that, look at ZT, Benchmade, Lionsteel - they all make great knives.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170103-074952.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170103-074952.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
Is /cgl/ x /k/ a thing now?
>>
>>9311438
Pretty much.
You'd be surprised how many gulls post on /k/.
Something about weebs and guns.
>>
File: gg.png (207KB, 640x476px) Image search: [Google]
gg.png
207KB, 640x476px
>>
File: cg.jpg (41KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
cg.jpg
41KB, 960x640px
>>
>>9311701
I don't think revolvers are ideal ccws for lolitas, less shots and the cylinder is quite bulgy.
>>
>>9311704
ehhhh different strokes for different folks.
>>
>>9311707
Yeah, but the cylinder gap, the low capacity, the slow reload and the DA trigger pull don't sit well with me as a gun you want to use in a stressful situation to defend your life.
>>
File: hellofadrug.jpg (104KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
hellofadrug.jpg
104KB, 850x400px
>>9307570
>>9307565
>>
>>9310981
Actually small talk outside the South genuinely freaks people out from my experience. The town I live in never, ever has people dressed in sweatpants. It's only certain places this is really acceptable. A lot of what you are mentioning is unique to the South, particularly rural communities outside mention of big buildings, especially skyscrapers. I think sometimes our culture is wrongly attributed to the rest of the United States.
>>
>>9311713

There are some advantages:

* won't jam if you limp-wrist it
* you can fire it through a pocket without worry of jamming
* no danger of being pushed out of battery if you press it against someone in a close scuffle

Personally I prefer autos for the reasons you listed, but I can see why revolvers are popular.
>>
>>9311753
>Won't jam if you limp wrist it.
If you're limp wristing it, you may have trouble aiming with a DA pull anyway.
>Fire it through a pocket without jamming.
So can any automatic without ridiculous protrusions on the slide.
Plus, I doubt very many women wear clothes with large pockets every day.
A pistol should always be kept in a purpose built holster.
>Being pushed out of battery.
For most pistols the slide lock would have to be engaged, so, I'd say it's MUCH less of an issue than low capacity and slow reload in a stressful situation.
>>
File: glock-upright (1).jpg (31KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
glock-upright (1).jpg
31KB, 480x640px
>>9311754
>So can any automatic without ridiculous protrusions on the slide.

It's not inhibiting the slide that's the problem, but clean ejection of the spent brass. If the brass can't clear the action the gun can easily stovepipe.

>Plus, I doubt very many women wear clothes with large pockets every day.

No need, carry guns can fit in blue jeans pockets with a pocket holster really easily. That's a holster that literally fits inside the pocket, like a liner. People who drop J-frames in their pocket where loose coins and lint can get into the cylinder gap are doing it wrong, for sure.

>For most pistols the slide lock would have to be engaged

Not really...? Automatics work by having the slide's rear-ward motion introduced by recoil cycle the action; if it's ready to fire, the slide can be pushed back from the front, which means the firing pin won't be able to reach the chambered round's primer. They do make something called "strike plates" to prevent this exact thing though, picture related.

>I'd say it's MUCH less of an issue than low capacity and slow reload in a stressful situation.

Remember that most carry guns are very small, light things - automatics are typically single-stack with 6 or 7 round capacities. Those little mouseguns are perfectly suitable, since 99% of self-defense situations are against a single attacker - at worst, two or three. Even if there's six and you've got a five-shot snubbie, it turns out most people aren't brave enough to try their luck. Same goes for reloading; the reason you need to carry a spare mag with an automatic is for clearing malfs, which revolvers almost never, ever suffer.

Mind you I carry a full-sized 1911 and two spare mags. I'm not typical, though.
>>
>>9311759
Double stack or single?
>>
>>9311761

Single, old-fashioned style. American Classic to be precise. Yay cheap flip guns
>>
>>9304914
Instantly start hearing the Suicide Commando song in my head. lol.
>>
>>9307560
If I was planning to attack somebody and they pulled out a second gun after we both had guns out, I would bounce because this is about to become some John Wu shit and I don't want none of it.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.